PDA

View Full Version : Swans Scarf Etiquette

Wardy
27th August 2010, 03:28 PM
A Community Service Announcement

This is a timely reminder, with the finals looming and all as to what is and what is not acceptable with regards to the dangling of one's scarf out the car window.

Now in 2006 as I was heading down the Hume for the Grand Final - a car sped by and they had their Swans scarf dangling out the window!!!!! imagine my horror upon seeing this - I was suddenly feeling quite ill and worried that this action would put the mockers on us and my discomfort in the end was well founded as we all know what the result that weekend was!!!

The Scarf is only to be dangled out the window after a victory, to fly it out the window before a game is just asking for trouble.

On the other side of the coin, I also experienced this when I was away the day we played Hawthorn a few weeks back - there was some clown driving around before the game with a Hawks scarf hanging out the window - I knew then and there that they would lose. So it goes either way.

Some may think I'm being a right nutter (actually you are probably justified in thinking that)!) - but mark my words its true.

So I beg you all - resist the temptation to dangle the Scarf out the car window prior to a match - this will assist in creating the good vibe and when we have tasted victory once again - dangle that baby out the window with pride and enjoy every second of hearing it flapping on the side of the car as you go along.

Perhaps the Club (Larissa & Jenny take note) could issue a directive to all the members!

Thank you for your attention.

Bas
27th August 2010, 03:36 PM
Wardy, I promise to keep my pre-game dangle under control. However when full time blows, I'll be dangling fiercely !!!!!!

Big Al
27th August 2010, 03:40 PM
Nice to see Wardys work condones drinking after lunch time on a Friday. :D

Solution: Everyone grab a Lions scarf and hang it out the window. 10 goal win assured.

Big Al
27th August 2010, 03:42 PM
Wardy, I promise to keep my pre-game dangle under control. However when full time blows, I'll be dangling fiercely !!!!!!

Show off!!!

Wardy
27th August 2010, 03:42 PM
Nice to see Wardys work condones drinking after lunch time on a Friday. :D

Solution: Everyone grab a Lions scarf and hang it out the window. 10 goal win assured.

And your problem with that is???

Big Al
27th August 2010, 03:46 PM
And your problem with that is???

hehehe... nothing at all. I'm just jealous I have to wait.

Wardy
27th August 2010, 03:48 PM
hehehe... nothing at all. I'm just jealous I have to wait.

It goes with the industry I'm in!! but alas I have not partaken of the grape today - in fact I lunched with Aussie Ange and I had mineral water - yes I know - livin on the edge!!!:D;)

Wardy
27th August 2010, 03:49 PM

Keep up the good work Bas!!!

Primmy
27th August 2010, 04:06 PM
I haven't dangled since a hoon took offense....mine is just a little car.....and I have no intestinals to combat fearce glares, unless of course we win by a walloping margin.

jono2707
27th August 2010, 04:22 PM
My own scarf etiquette is that my scarf will never be washed. I have had it since the early 90's and although its not too manky, there are pie stains etc and it has has its fair share of beer spillages. The beautiful polyester/nylon/whatever has gone all pilled too, but it has character and I love it.

I dont have a car so the dangling thingy is not an issue for me....

Kirkari
27th August 2010, 04:33 PM
Barry Hall Hall provided a tutorial on the proper dangling of a scarf out the window. (Ahhh, what can replace the BHH?)

I can't remember the master's advice as to pre-game scarfage, but I would agree with Wardy on it being strictly a post-game occurence.

Following a victory, there were several categories, and essentially, the greater the win, the greater the length of scarf to be external to the vehicle. After a "shellacking", it could get downright dangerous for close vehicles and pedestrians!

Slight variation on the theme - there is a little row house on Driver Ave that has a 1st floor balcony railing covered in ivy, which in turn is covered by about 20 Swans scarves draped carefully in a row every SCG game day. I love seeing it on my way past. So far I have refrained from screaming "Go Swannies!" out the car window but the day is coming...

Doctor J.
27th August 2010, 04:36 PM
My own scarf etiquette is that my scarf will never be washed. I have had it since the early 90's and although its not too manky, there are pie stains etc and it has has its fair share of beer spillages. The beautiful polyester/nylon/whatever has gone all pilled too, but it has character and I love it.

I dont have a car so the dangling thingy is not an issue for me....

Agree with Wardy on the Scarf ettiquette. Never dangle before the game. The footy gods don't approve. After a win you must dangle!!

Personal scarf etiquette. I've got a scarf that I wore to to the 1970 and 1977 final. Hasn't been to a game since. Its all the fault of the scarf. So once a scarf becomes a significant loser its banished. I am in a dilemma with the one I wore to the 05 GF. I wore it to the 06 GF!!

(Slow Friday clearly)

Wardy
27th August 2010, 04:48 PM
Agree with Wardy on the Scarf ettiquette. Never dangle before the game. The footy gods don't approve. After a win you must dangle!!

Personal scarf etiquette. I've got a scarf that I wore to to the 1970 and 1977 final. Hasn't been to a game since. Its all the fault of the scarf. So once a scarf becomes a significant loser its banished. I am in a dilemma with the one I wore to the 05 GF. I wore it to the 06 GF!!

(Slow Friday clearly)

I have the same problem I wore the same scarf to both but I blame '06 on the idiot who overtook me with their scarf blowin in the breeze the day before the game.
I am confident that the club will issue a directive to all members to only display the scarf after victory.

Yuri H
27th August 2010, 06:47 PM
Last year I bought a scarf and we promptly began losing. I forget which game we were at when, after explaining this to my skeptical sister-in-law (I seem to have married into a very rational & scientific family), it got chilly and she basically eyerolled me into putting the scarf on. The opposition immediately roared into a comeback. She turned to me and hissed "Yuri - take ... the scarf ... OFF." So much for science. Said scarf was banished to hang behind a door, never to be worn again. Its replacement this year has been a much better omen.

Slightly off-topic but etiquette-ish: is there a time/place limit for members' caps? I wear mine pretty much all week. Flushed out quite a surprisingly large number of Swans supporters whilst wearing it in the quaint back streets of Balmain as I took a warm day's stroll last Sunday, basking in the win over the Bulldogs and the Roos/Kirky farewell tributes.

Big Al
27th August 2010, 06:50 PM
I but I blame '06 on the idiot who overtook me with their scarf blowin in the breeze the day before the game.

What car was Jolly driving???

Bas
27th August 2010, 08:56 PM
You should know, it was his wife driving and she was making him do it.

Xie Shan
27th August 2010, 09:00 PM
Wasn't this a lesson on one of the old 'Barry Hall Hall' ads? I miss those! Poor old Barry.

goswannie14
27th August 2010, 09:12 PM
Wardy, I agree with your dangling ettiquette, ie don't dangle before a game. I also have the same problem with singing the song either before the game....it will always bring about a loss.....or during the game (it may bring about a loss).

Although, having said that, I must admit I got a bit carried away after the 7th goal in 10 minutes during the 05 PF. Someone started singing and I joined in.

Ohh and after a win, I sing long and loud and dangle for all I'm worth.

Big Al
27th August 2010, 10:14 PM
You should know, it was his wife driving and she was making him do it.

Huh... Why would I know?

Primmy
28th August 2010, 12:06 AM

(Slow Friday clearly)
Cut it in half.

As far as cap etiquette goes, I still wear the 2004 one because it fits and it doesn't make me look like a tool.
My friend Ken wears his all day every day....that's ok. He has met lots of almostgoingtothegame provisional swannies in the course of his travels and gave the freebie tickets to one such who came last week and had such a ball they are staying in to watch the Brissie game. that was a good call by the way Swans, much appreciated
Back to my friend's cap, it loses its logo due to fading, that's when he tosses it. I think he has about 10 years supply to go.

Swannette
28th August 2010, 12:45 AM
Well yes indeed. My pre 'we r the premiers' scarf was a motley rat infested thing adorned with a signature that I swear was provided by Barry hall in the pre staker days so it was much loved and a little bit not fancy. Then I got the 'hey we r the premiers just to remind u' scarf and at first it was pristine. Hmm, not so now but it is still #1 despite the fresh new freebie versions hanging in the spare room. I vote for the no hanging pre-game directive, and encourage major hanging at every opportunity after a win. On hats - my partner grabs one of 04, 05, 06 or even 09 for our regular walks and as I walk behind him along the track often think reflect on the year on the hat. Visual contact with fellow walkers occasionally results in a passing remark - if we win it's go swans, if we lose, well, it could be anything but usually involves shaking of head and gnashing of teeth. Ha, love it!!

Swansongster
28th August 2010, 01:55 AM
Although, having said that, I must admit I got a bit carried away after the 7th goal in 10 minutes during the 05 PF. Someone started singing and I joined in.

You weren't the only one who joined in. One of my fondest memories of that magnificent night in '05 was the sea of Swans fans under the Southern Stand breaking into a rousing rendition.

You never know, on form, we could be there again for a stirring upset in a PF. We ARE going to beat the Pies one day.

On scarf etiquette, my personal routine is to never dangle. It must be worn proudly, stylishly and continuously from the moment I leave the house until the moment I return.

swansrob
28th August 2010, 04:51 AM
I don't drive to games and I generally don't wear my scarf. Problem solved...:p

Reggi
28th August 2010, 08:36 AM

(Slow Friday clearly)

What has happened to every scarfe you have taken to Sydney? Is there a pile of them near Junee?

BTW as much as you ask the pilot they never let you put them out the window on the flight to Melb

lwoggardner
28th August 2010, 10:35 AM
Point of order. At what point in the week after a win must the scarf be removed lest it be considered an in-appropriate pre-game dangle?

goswannie14
28th August 2010, 10:43 AM
You weren't the only one who joined in. One of my fondest memories of that magnificent night in '05 was the sea of Swans fans under the Southern Stand breaking into a rousing rendition.
You never know, on form, we could be there again for a stirring upset in a PF. We ARE going to beat the Pies one day.

On scarf etiquette, my personal routine is to never dangle. It must be worn proudly, stylishly and continuously from the moment I leave the house until the moment I return.We were in the same section as the Cheer squad, only about 30 rows back. When it was clear we would be in the GF my wife laughed at me, it's the only time she has ever seen me speechless.

goswannie14
28th August 2010, 10:44 AM
Point of order. At what point in the week after a win must the scarf be removed lest it be considered an in-appropriate pre-game dangle?It's only for the trip on the way home.

Primmy
28th August 2010, 10:47 AM
It's only for the trip on the way home.

Agreed. Except for Office Pest Extermination when dangling scarf over computer and desk is highly acceptable. But only on a Monday, and after a GF, all week.

Mel
28th August 2010, 10:57 AM
As far as cap etiquette goes, I still wear the 2004 one because it fits and it doesn't make me look like a tool.

Ah Primmy! I'm so glad I found another person with the same hat difficulties as me! All members' caps from 2005 on have not fit my head properly. They seem to come down too low over the ears or something. I've since acquired my families' 2004 caps as well as my own, so I'm well stocked for a few years to come yet. :D

j s
28th August 2010, 11:33 AM
IF supporters of both teams dangle rush to your nearest bookie and put money on a draw.

j s
28th August 2010, 11:35 AM
Ah Primmy! I'm so glad I found another person with the same hat difficulties as me! All members' caps from 2005 on have not fit my head properly. They seem to come down too low over the ears or something. I've since acquired my families' 2004 caps as well as my own, so I'm well stocked for a few years to come yet. :D

Stick with the 2005 cap and remember that glorious year.

goswannie14
28th August 2010, 11:56 AM
Stick with the 2005 cap and remember that glorious year.I would, but I can't find mine.

Big Al
28th August 2010, 06:48 PM

BLT
28th August 2010, 10:36 PM
now that we are in the finals is it A-Okay to drive around with your scarf proudly displayed INSIDE the car? eg. across the back window?

Primmy
29th August 2010, 08:08 AM
Absolutely. But it must be across the backwindow shelf, not out the window. Also a cap nestled in amongst it is optional, but a nice touch.

BLT
29th August 2010, 08:28 AM
yes yes - safe and sound across the back window shelf with a swans bear on the dash. i don't want to be putting any hoodoo on the team before next week :)

jono2707
29th August 2010, 08:58 AM
yes yes - safe and sound across the back window shelf with a swans bear on the dash. i don't want to be putting any hoodoo on the team before next week :)

Collingwood fans do something similar, although it's not necessary a pies scarf across the back window shelf - it all depends on what team's scarf was already there when they stole the car......

Wardy
29th August 2010, 10:56 AM
now that we are in the finals is it A-Okay to drive around with your scarf proudly displayed INSIDE the car? eg. across the back window?

yes - across the back window dash area is how have it and I drove to Melbourne that way in '05 - and I "met " up with Go Swannies in the M5 tunnel, he had a "go Swans" sign attached to the back of his motor bike - we lost eachother at marulan - and found each other again accidentally at the MCG!!!

so for clarity - on display inside the car - absolutely - outside the car only after we have won - and if its the granny and we win - it can dangle outside the car all the way back to Sydney up the Hume!!!

Wardy
29th August 2010, 11:00 AM
and we all have to wear exactly what we had on yesterday as well - even down to socks and undies!!! (just so as we dont break the spell) I went to Shark park last night wearing red and white - and a sharks scarf - a clash of colours - but the Sharks won too!!! I just have this feeling............................

AnnieH
29th August 2010, 11:01 AM
collingwood fans do something similar, although it's not necessary a pies scarf across the back window shelf - it all depends on what team's scarf was already there when they stole the car......

lmao
;)

Yuri H
29th August 2010, 11:11 AM
and we all have to wear exactly what we had on yesterday as well - even down to socks and undies!!! (just so as we dont break the spell)

What we wore whilst watching the game? I don't know if frumpy old pyjamas, a cat-hair-drenched sloppy joe (as I think my new people call what Yanks call 'sweatshirts' - still learning!), and my puffy Swans slippers would go over well on mass transit and getting into ANZ!

Wardy
29th August 2010, 11:19 AM
What we wore whilst watching the game? I don't know if frumpy old pyjamas, a cat-hair-drenched sloppy joe (as I think my new people call what Yanks call 'sweatshirts' - still learning!), and my puffy Swans slippers would go over well on mass transit and getting into ANZ!

well you are an American - so we will make an exception with you!;):D I wore my Swans BBQ apron to '06 and it turned out to be a horrible day - I figure bad things happen in 3's - the Grange Hermitage we had in the car park was awful,My BBQ apron looked stupid and we lost! and to top it all off I pranged the car out the front of all places "Optus Oval/Princes Park/Vissy whatever" that night!

"Swans were alive in '05"

"Eagles were a bunch of prix in '06"

But - "Swans win again in 2010"!!!

Bas
29th August 2010, 12:34 PM
I dangled the scarf out the car window last night after the game. However, when your car is parked in the garage at home it doesn't have the same effect. I even set up the pedestal fan to try to get something out of the moment but even that had moderate success.

Finally, it went back into the wardrobe. :frown

erica
5th September 2010, 10:33 AM
Would it anger the footy gods if I wore my 2005 GF tshirt to the game today? I'd hate to be responsible for the end of our season.:)

Big Al
5th September 2010, 10:50 AM
Would it anger the footy gods if I wore my 2005 GF tshirt to the game today? I'd hate to be responsible for the end of our season.:)

Only t-shirt that would anger them would be the 2010 GF shirt so go for it.

Matty10
5th September 2010, 01:28 PM
I have been thinking about this thread during the week. For whatever particular reason, in the last month I have been saying hello to the swans as I run around the lake in Albert Park - this has coincided with some great form by the Swans in the H&A. I started doing it one week and we won, and then when I was running around the lake again I was conscious of the fact that I should say "hello" or "go Swans" again as I run past - you don't want to tempt fate when things start going your way. I made sure I did it yesterday when I went for a run in the rain.

I am also reminded of Barry Round saying how he had always wanted to hang his scarf out the window as he drove over the Westgate to the GF. He got the chance in 96 - and we lost. Not that I would begrudge him doing that - in fact I was rapt that he did at the time - I am always happy when past players get excited with our team doing well. Not sure what he did in 05 though.

On reflection though, I probably agree with the sentiments expressed already in this thread on scarf etiquette, but I wouldn't lambast someone for transgressing - that just makes things worse. Either way - I will be cheering load and hard today - go Swans!

Big Al
5th September 2010, 09:28 PM
Had plenty of time dangle in the traffic jam getting home. Glad we won otherwise my mood in that jam would have been absolutely toxic.

AnnieH
5th September 2010, 09:35 PM
I tried to dangle the scarf out of the train, but the guard wouldn't let me.

He was a meanie.

Wardy
6th September 2010, 07:46 AM
I dangled and proudly - took only a few minutes to get out of the car park and I was home by 6.35pm so not too bad considering - there were a few more danglers going over Alfords Pt Bridge. what a terrific day!

jono2707
19th April 2013, 12:56 PM
I found this old thread but it hasn't helped with my dilemma - do I wear my old faithful 20 year old stained and slightly worse for wear scarf tonight, or my new and shiny Swans 2012 Premiers scarf? I love my old scarf but '2012 Premiers' sure does have a nice ring to it. Any advice would be appreciated....

Triple B
19th April 2013, 01:09 PM
I found this old thread but it hasn't helped with my dilemma - do I wear my old faithful 20 year old stained and slightly worse for wear scarf tonight, or my new and shiny Swans 2012 Premiers scarf? I love my old scarf but '2012 Premiers' sure does have a nice ring to it. Any advice would be appreciated....

Primmy
19th April 2013, 01:14 PM
Old and bold for teams not in the running,

Rub your noses in it 2012 premiership scarf for higher end competition

AnnieH
19th April 2013, 01:43 PM
I've got a million scarves... but I still wear my 26 year old original grog and food stained worse for wear scarf week in and week out.
I love my old scarf.

Doctor J.
19th April 2013, 01:48 PM
Proudly donned the 2005 premiers scarf for Rd1 2006, and I don't think its been outside the house since.

I'm hoping for a better result when I wear the 2012 against Hawthorn in Rd 7. (first melb game. don't get me started on the fixturing for this year!!!)

R-1
19th April 2013, 02:33 PM
I lost my decade old scarf during the night after the grand final last year. More accurately, a bouncer in a Brunswick pub took several people's scarves ("no sport team colours" ) and they disappeared.

):

At any rate tonight is the first outing of my new scarf. Long may it last.

liz
19th April 2013, 02:41 PM
This is a timely thread bump. I have a number of scarves, some "gifts" from the Swans, others purchased; some mainstream, some trendy and feminine. But I always find myself coming back to the one I bought for $2 from the Queen Vic markets sometime in early 1996. It has been to four grand finals with me, and has travelled to Wellington, Perth, Tasmania, Queensland and many places in between.

I was halfway up the (pretty steep) hill between home and the bus stop this morning when I realised that, despite remembering to pack several extra layers of clothing in my bag in anticipation of the forecast frosty conditions tonight, my trusty scarf was still in its regular non-match day resting place, hanging over the back of a chair in my kitchen. I fleetingly thought of going back for it, but I was already running late for work and I'd have had to wait for a later bus.

So now I am scarfless on game day, and I can't remember the last time I went to a game without a scarf of some description around my neck. I can always buy another one at the ground today, but it will probably never see the light of day again as I will return to my favoured, daggy scarf.

Untamed Snark
19th April 2013, 02:50 PM
My brother buys a new scarf each year, once the season is over he asks our mother to stich the latest scarf (lengthwise) to the previous seasons eventually making a blanket to take to games.

jono2707
19th April 2013, 02:53 PM
Old and bold for teams not in the running,

Rub your noses in it 2012 premiership scarf for higher end competition

I must say I like that concept Primmy... That's winning so far.....

Did I mention that it's got '2012 Premiers' on it?????? :)

Go Swannies
19th April 2013, 02:58 PM
I wore the 2005 Premiers scarf to a few games and we lost them all - so it's at the back of the cupboard. I've worn my 2012 Premiers scarf to every game this season and we remain unbeaten. Simple solution: I'll be wearing it tonight.

Big Al
19th April 2013, 04:23 PM
I'm wearing the same jocks I did at the Grannie and at the 2 home wins this year so wear what scarf you like because the obvious power in the underwear will get us home.

CJK
19th April 2013, 04:28 PM
I have this horrible scarf with the city skyline on it and Sydney Swans written all the way across it in huge lettering.

Sucks

I've been reluctantly wearing it for 2 years, tonight might be the night to upgrade.

Wardy
20th April 2013, 11:38 PM
I haven't bought the 2012 premiership scarf - when I bought the 2005 one - it jinxed us in 2006 - so I'll stick with my red wine stained 10 year old premiership club scarf. (it has weathered quite well considering its banged the side of the car on two trips up the Hume in the last 7 years!)

jono2707
20th April 2013, 11:44 PM
Think I'll go back to old faithful in a couple of weeks time....

Primmy
21st April 2013, 12:22 PM
I'm wearing the same jocks I did at the Grannie and at the 2 home wins this year so wear what scarf you like because the obvious power in the underwear will get us home.
Time to change the jocks.

Go Swannies
21st April 2013, 04:18 PM
Time to change the jocks.

I was presuming that he'd worn other jocks over that time. Wrong assumption?