PDA

View Full Version : Balmain vs USA

Richo
2nd October 2003, 05:05 PM
Aussies too good for Revolution

EVENT: U.S. Revolution vs. Balmain Tigers

DATE: Sunday, Sept. 28, 2003

PLACE: Miller Field, Staten Island, N.Y.

SCORE: Balmain Tigers 14.10. 94 def. U.S. Revolution 10.4. 64

The Caltex/Mayfair Balmain Tigers held off a brave US National Revolution team to record a 30 point victory in the first ever clash in between sides from the respective countries. The superior skills and game sense of the Tigers proved to be too much of an obstacle for the determined, but inexperienced Revolution.

Played in wet and rainy conditions, the game was played at a higher standard than the circumstances would have suggested. Although the five goal victory suggests an easy win for the Tigers, this was not the case as they managed to win every quarter by a goal or two to slowly build their lead. Balmain are celebrating their centenary year, while the Revolution are in their fifth. It was this difference in experience that was to be the telling factor. Certainly, the Revo?s could not be faultered for their enthusiasm.

Earlier in the day, the Revolution B side took on the local New York Magpies in what was a closely fought encounter. The lead changed many times with the Magpies looking to have a secure 8 point lead with only minutes to go. However a goal to the Revolution, followed by two behinds saw the game end in a nail-biting draw as the final siren sounded.

All in all, it was a great learning experience for the Revolution and the future bodes well for them for next year?s Altantic Alliance Cup in Toronto and the 2nd International Cup in Melbourne, Australia, in 2005.

SCORES:

US REVOLUTION 2.3. 15 4.3. 27 8.4. 52 10.4. 64

BALMAIN 4.3. 27 9.5. 59 12.8. 78 14.10. 94

GOALS

U S Revolution: Pope 4, Lakomy, Kalhovd, Purcell, Starbacker, Loring, Lucero

BEST

US Revolution: Blankenship, Pope, Starbuck, Brunmeier, Thurmond

Regards,

Denis Ryan

USAFL Revolution Manager

jude_boltons_babe
11th October 2003, 10:20 PM
congradulations on beating the usa

troy34
13th October 2003, 09:51 PM
It was a great experience to be involved in and the guys are keen to make it am annual event, here is all the details: I think the scorer threw the pencil away during the last quarter as we won by a little more, here is also a link to another news story:
http://www.usfooty.com/usfooty/newsitem.aspx?menu=homepagemenu&id=283

Luffy

SCORES:

BALMAIN 4.3. 27 9.5. 59 12.8. 78 14.10. 94

US REVOLUTION 2.3. 15 4.3. 27 8.4. 52 10.4. 64

GOALS
Balmain: Millar 3, Keenan 2, Garvey 2, Williams, Sadler, Dunn, Dwyer, Atkinson, Carey, D.Carle

U.S. Revolution: Pope 4, Lakomy, Kalhovd, Purcell, Starbacker, Loring, Lucero

BEST
Balmain: Carey, Cooney, Garvey, Keenan, Williams, Millar

U.S. Revolution: Blankenship, Pope, Starbuck, Brunmeier, Thurmond

desredandwhite
13th October 2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the link, Luffy!!! Was a good read - hope the team had a blast!

troy34
13th October 2003, 10:25 PM
It was a great trip, Las Vegas, New York, San Diego and Los Angeles, loved the USA.

Glenn
13th October 2003, 10:29 PM
Nice to see the game getting exposure in the USA, hopefully the national side can make a trip out here in the years to come

troy34
13th October 2003, 10:39 PM
They were here last year for the AFL World cup in Melbourne and back again in 2005 for the next International challenge

Glenn
14th October 2003, 10:03 AM
D'oh forgot about the World cup last year :o

Will be interesting to see how far they have come along in 2005

Thanks for the info Luffy :)

Oscar
14th October 2003, 11:44 AM
Good read Troy .... thanks for the link.

With your permission, I have posted the link on the East Coast Eagles site www.eastcoasteagles.com.au for our members to enjoy as well.

We currently have Rowan Bilkey on tour in Europe with the Australian Convicts squad who are playing matches in the UK, Spain and Germany. Their side is captained by Sean Millane, brother of the late Darren Millane at Collingwood.

Rowan's tales of life in Europe mixed with Convict footy are appearing regularly on our site.

Peter Physick

troy34
14th October 2003, 12:22 PM
No worries Peter, i think it is quite interesting looking at the US Footy websie, you would think it was a league in Australia it is done so well.

knownothing
14th October 2003, 02:22 PM
Hey troy are you going to be playing with the tigers next year and is it true that the players are so sick of the hopeless administration at Balmain that they are organising a ticket to overthrow the board. Where do you stand?

troy34
14th October 2003, 03:16 PM
As far as the committee goes its not quite as you said, there is an AGM next week where a new board will be appointed and once that has been done i will then speak to the club about next year

knownothing
14th October 2003, 03:36 PM
yeah it might not be "quite like" i say but I think plenty dont like whats been happening there.

footyhead
13th November 2003, 08:42 AM
I once played for the NY magpies.
The sport has great appeal in the us of a , and the afl should do anything they can to get the Australian seasone back on air in the US. Any cheap cabel or satelite network would be better than giving it to fox again, who do absoloutly nothing with it except for the Grand Final of course.