PDA

View Full Version : MOTW - Big Al

ScottH
29th November 2010, 09:47 AM
Alan is our Member of the Week - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=105705)

Big Al
29th November 2010, 09:57 AM
Just to explain the photo because at the time it was like looking into a mirror, I'm the good looking one on the left.

Wardy
29th November 2010, 10:04 AM
Just to explain the photo because at the time it was like looking into a mirror, I'm the good looking one on the left.

I've dined and got drunk with the bloke on the left!! excellent read!!!

Bas
29th November 2010, 10:29 AM
Congratulations Big Al. Another RWO celebrity.

Thank God they didn't use the photo I was suggesting.

Jesse Richards
29th November 2010, 10:30 AM
Good one, Big Al.

Yuri H
29th November 2010, 10:43 AM
Great job, Big Al!

aardvark
29th November 2010, 10:52 AM
Nice work Big Al......

Jewels
29th November 2010, 11:41 AM
You're a champion Al, great read!
I thought the two blokes in the photo were twins! ;)

Wardy
29th November 2010, 11:43 AM

:rofl

dimelb
29th November 2010, 11:54 AM
Onya, Big Al. Great stuff!

ScottH
29th November 2010, 12:27 PM
Plug for RWO too!!

goswannie14
29th November 2010, 12:45 PM
Nice one Big Al, happy to have met you through RWO!

29th November 2010, 12:52 PM
Great read BIG Al, I'm sure most of us here agree with the sentiments you so passionately talk about. Go the Bloods!

Go Swannies
29th November 2010, 12:59 PM
Of course everyone will recognise Al but who's the bloke on the right? It'd have to do your career a lot of good to be photographed with Big Al - I expect the kid will now go a long way.

liz
29th November 2010, 01:37 PM
That's definitely the most eloquently written MOTW that I've read.

(I may come knocking on your door, Al, to write a match report in 2011 know that you've shown the world how well you can write.)

ShockOfHair
29th November 2010, 02:19 PM
Great column Al.

Hope they asked your permission before they used your avatar.:)

Big Al
29th November 2010, 07:55 PM
Thank you everyone for the lovely feedback.

:rofl

Hope Keiren doesn't read this, the poor bugger would be mortified.:)

Of course everyone will recognise Al but who's the bloke on the right? It'd have to do your career a lot of good to be photographed with Big Al - I expect the kid will now go a long way.

He better otherwise I won't be allowed within 50 feet of a player and a camera.

That's definitely the most eloquently written MOTW that I've read.

(I may come knocking on your door, Al, to write a match report in 2011 know that you've shown the world how well you can write.)

Thanks Liz, I'm sure my ghost writer will be up for it. ;)

Great column Al.

Hope they asked your permission before they used your avatar.:)

It was only the photo that I remember being in at the B&F, the rest were only vaguely familiar.

Nico
29th November 2010, 08:10 PM
Finally a face to a name. Yep, as I expected you look like a bloke that would go well at a BBQ.

Big Al
29th November 2010, 08:27 PM
Finally a face to a name. Yep, as I expected you look like a bloke that would go well at a BBQ.

Guilty as charged your honour.

Bas
29th November 2010, 09:09 PM

Drink all the beer and eat all of the food. :D

goswannie14
29th November 2010, 09:30 PM
Finally a face to a name. Yep, as I expected you look like a bloke that would go well at a BBQ.I have to admit, the most fun I have had at a game in the last few years was the first time I met Al and we sat in the outer at Manuka against Melbourne. We had so much fun!!!

Big Al
30th November 2010, 07:21 AM
I have to admit, the most fun I have had at a game in the last few years was the first time I met Al and we sat in the outer at Manuka against Melbourne. We had so much fun!!!

Well it did turn Jude Bolton's career around and put a Melbourne supporter in therapy for a number of years. I still laugh everytime I think about that game, it was great fun.

Wardy
30th November 2010, 07:45 AM
Well it did turn Jude Bolton's career around and put a Melbourne supporter in therapy for a number of years. I still laugh everytime I think about that game, it was great fun.

Sitting behind you at the 2006 grandfinal I witnessed your undeniable passion for our club firsdt hand, I was concerned that you were going to pop a valve at one point! - but dining with you in 2010 at the B & F was much more civilised (until later on and we were pretty much all talking chinese!);):D

Big Al
30th November 2010, 08:06 AM
Sitting behind you at the 2006 grandfinal I witnessed your undeniable passion for our club firsdt hand, I was concerned that you were going to pop a valve at one point! - but dining with you in 2010 at the B & F was much more civilised (until later on and we were pretty much all talking chinese!);):D

Thanks Wardy, it's nice of you to describe a ranting lunatic as being passionate. Not my finest hour I'll admit.

I woke up from the B&F and felt like I was recovering from an autopsy so I know it was a good night. I know I laughed a lot as Yuri and you kicked on with us after the gig.

ScottH
30th November 2010, 08:16 AM
Drink all the beer and eat all of the food. :D

I thought he meant on the BBQ.

Big Al
30th November 2010, 08:22 AM
I thought he meant on the BBQ.

Nah, I'm all gristle and I've never been tender in my life.

Bas
30th November 2010, 08:39 AM
I woke up from the B&F and felt like I was recovering from an autopsy so I know it was a good night. I know I laughed a lot as Yuri and you kicked on with us after the gig.

Lucky I wasn't at your table. I went back to my room after it finished so I didn't do anymore damage.

Look out if you three end up at the same retirement village !!!

Wardy
30th November 2010, 08:41 AM
Lucky I wasn't at your table. I went back to my room after it finished so I didn't do anymore damage.

Look out if you three end up at the same retirement village !!!

I reckon we would liven any retirement village up a bit! Cocktail hour starts at 2pm (because pensioner dinner time is normally at 5pm!)

AnnieH
1st December 2010, 07:39 AM
We'd rock in an old folks' home.

Al, just beautiful.

You should take your sister to a game. My sister went to her first game last year, and now her eldest son is "allowed" to play AFL. (Prior to that, he wasn't allowed). Although, she did want the sin bin used. It took a bit of explaining that although we need one, we don't have one. She loves it now, and my nephew is playing for Mac Uni this year (he's started pre-season training - how cute!!)

Big Al
1st December 2010, 07:58 AM
We'd rock in an old folks' home.

Al, just beautiful.

You should take your sister to a game.

Thanks Annie,

We all did that Pink Lady thing at ANZ a couple of years ago so she has been to a game. She's just never been into sports as such so I'm not going to convert her anytime soon. She was more entertained by my "cheering" if you can believe that.

Also Jordan (nephew) will be playing Auskick this year so hopefully he can defy generations if genetic ineptitude with regards to sporting skill and be a good player. If he becomes a Swan I can get some free tickets. I'm planning ahead. :)

Big Al
1st December 2010, 08:11 AM
As an addition to my Nephews piece in the article it was after the Carlton final and his mother rang me on the Tuesday and demanded to know what I'd done to her sweet quiet boy. Apparently he was reliving every part of the game and wouldn't shut up about it...His new nickname at home when the subject of footy comes up is Mini Me. Guess what mine is...

Jewels
1st December 2010, 09:29 AM
- but dining with you in 2010 at the B & F was much more civilised (until later on and we were pretty much all talking chinese!);):D

Can I sit at your table next year?

Yuri H
1st December 2010, 09:34 AM

I remember a fun evening too - though oddly my memory of it is a bit ... foggy. And the next day, too, which I think I pretty much slept through (or at least didn't move much).

dimelb
1st December 2010, 11:59 AM
As an addition to my Nephews piece in the article it was after the Carlton final and his mother rang me on the Tuesday and demanded to know what I'd done to her sweet quiet boy. Apparently he was reliving every part of the game and wouldn't shut up about it...His new nickname at home when the subject of footy comes up is Mini Me. Guess what mine is...
Goldmember?

Wardy
1st December 2010, 12:19 PM
Goldmember?

Allotta Va..................?

Big Al
1st December 2010, 12:34 PM
Goldmember?

Allotta Va..................?

So many jokes... must not write, must not write, must not write...

Big Al
1st December 2010, 12:41 PM
Can I sit at your table next year?

Absolutely... The more the merrier Jewels.

Wardy
1st December 2010, 12:47 PM
Absolutely... The more the merrier Jewels.

wow Al, the chicks are throwing themselves at you now!!!:D well done young fella!

Big Al
1st December 2010, 12:51 PM
wow Al, the chicks are throwing themselves at you now!!!:D well done young fella!

Well, I have the fame, now all I need is to get the looks, talent and money and then i'll be set.

Bas
1st December 2010, 01:12 PM
Well, I have the fame, now all I need is to get the looks, talent and money and then i'll be set.

You're 40 years too late for Johnny Young's Talent Team. How about a book: My Journey in Life in becoming MOTW.

Hey Big Al. You're not adding posts so as to keep your thread at the top of the list are you?. ;)

Big Al
1st December 2010, 01:15 PM
You're 40 years too late for Johnny Young's Talent Team. How about a book: My Journey in Life in becoming MOTW.

Hey Big Al. You're not adding posts so as to keep your thread at the top of the list are you?. ;)

I was wondering when someone was going to figure it out...:o :D

Wardy
1st December 2010, 01:18 PM

You'll do alright - afterall - you are Keirens idol!!!