PDA

View Full Version : Where will we finish in 2011?

ShockOfHair
22nd March 2011, 03:32 PM
The pundits have had their say. What do we reckon?

blinddog
22nd March 2011, 03:33 PM
I see a trip to the MCG that last weekend to support the mighty Swans

msb
22nd March 2011, 03:36 PM
6th for me, although IF IF IF!!! Bradshaw can get fit (how i dont know) and play more than half the 22 games and the team has a good run with injuries then a big chance for top 4 IMO, with a favourable draw as well.

Yuri H
22nd March 2011, 03:49 PM
Mixing the pull of realism with my hopeful optimism, I arrive at 3-4. I think we can get at least that far - even to a GF if the stars align. I hate to say it though - if we have to face Col ... Collingwo ... Collingwoo-huhh-huhhh ... I can't say the name - in The Big Game, I'd be very, very pessimistic about our chances, barring a 'Nick Davis-like miracle vs Geelong in the 05 Finals series' sort of event.

stellation
22nd March 2011, 04:02 PM
My head says I should be pleased with 5-8, but there's just a gut feel I have that's telling me we'll somehow end up in 2-4 and give it a bit of a shake this year. It all comes down to Goodesy getting good lovin' all year long.

Triple B
22nd March 2011, 04:18 PM
I'm feeling 3rd to 5th, but I truly believe in 2012/13/14 we are going to give it a hell of a shake...

liz
22nd March 2011, 05:01 PM
I'm feeling 3rd to 5th, but I truly believe in 2012/13/14 we are going to give it a hell of a shake...

I reckon this year is as good a chance as any, notwithstanding the fact we have a few key personnel injured. While the club seems to have successfully replaced most of its "champions" who have retired over the past decade, I can't help thinking that our best immediate shot depends on Goodesy still being at the top of his game. Someone else might emerge from the ranks who can emulate the brilliance of Goodes but it is not evident who that player (or players) is. I'd really like the team to be able to give it a real shot while Goodes (and to only a slightly lesser extent ROK and Jude) are still around to contribute and enjoy.

dimelb
22nd March 2011, 05:19 PM
We have usually matched up well on St Kilda. We nearly beat the Doggies and we are stronger this year. This is the year we finally catch up to and pass Geelong. Hawthorn have ruck problems. It's between us and the Magpies.
Injuries are the wild card.

mcs
22nd March 2011, 06:01 PM
I'd like to think we can improve on last year, which would suggest 3-4 to me. I do think we are only a couple of players off really giving another flag a real shake, and maybe they won't arrive till the next draft etc- but as long as we continue to improve from last year (We will miss Kirky in the middle, but hopefully not too much!) then I'll be happy. If we can get the players with injury problems back later on in the season and find ourselves in good shape up to that point, then I can't see why we can't give the best teams a real fright. I think the Dogs and Cats will come back to the field a bit this year, and maybe the Saints as well, but the Pies unfortunately look awfully tough to beat again.

If Goodesy has a big year, which he may if pre season is anything to go by, then imo anything is possible.

5 days to go- can not wait to watch the match on Sunday!

Triple B
22nd March 2011, 06:27 PM
I do think we are only a couple of players off really giving another flag a real shake, and maybe they won't arrive till the next draft etc-

I really don't think we need any more players, just a year or two more experience in the ones we have already got. I'm firmly convinced the talent we have at our disposal can win us a flag, just not convinced that the Reids, LJ's of the world will be forward enough to make this the year.

Agree, if Goodesy has a monster year, he may well just drag this group of babes over the line. I doubt I've looked forward to a season as much as I have for this year. Bring it on.

Cheer Squad
22nd March 2011, 07:18 PM
This time last year, I would have been happy if we defeated either Adelaide and/or Collingwood and continued making genuine progress rebuilding.

This year, what I really want is to see us defeat Collingwood, and continue making genuine progress to being thereabouts.

As far as Geelong is concerned, I think we might have a good chance of not only knocking them off in Round 4, but also Round 23 at the Cattery. Here's hoping for the double.

CureTheSane
22nd March 2011, 09:30 PM
We will finish first this year.
Nothing more certain :)

ernie koala
22nd March 2011, 10:22 PM
As always a healthy list is the key.
But, IMO, we will be final 8 contenders no matter what.
Only a few insignificant injuries....1-3
An average amount of injuries....4-6
A lot of significant injuries.....7-9
The same could be said for..Cats, Dogs, Hawks, Saints
Whilst the Magpies appear to have the most depth, they too would become vulnerable with key injuries.

Young Blood
22nd March 2011, 11:30 PM
It all comes down to Goodesy getting good lovin' all year long.

Surely one of our multitude of support staff should be responsible for making sure Goodesy gets all the love he needs?

stellation
23rd March 2011, 07:17 AM
Surely one of our multitude of support staff should be responsible for making sure Goodesy gets all the love he needs?
Not sure about this year, but it looks like someone has already organised a fallback option for future years.

Big Al
23rd March 2011, 07:27 AM
Not sure about this year, but it looks like someone has already organised a fallback option for future years.

I know at least one poster on here who would volunteer to be the fallback and give it a shake.

stellation
23rd March 2011, 07:46 AM
I know at least one poster on here who would volunteer to be the fallback and give it a shake.

This "friend" of yours that has the rash- that "friend" is you, isn't it.

Big Al
23rd March 2011, 07:56 AM
This "friend" of yours that has the rash- that "friend is you", isn't it.

:)

*deep voice* No

Go Swannies
23rd March 2011, 09:48 AM
The 2003-05 years were amazing for the way the team played for each other. They just knew where each other would be - the way the Cats and Pies do when they are on song. I think we have the talent right now to be Premiers. And I'm expecting us to burst out of the blocks in the first month of the competition so the pundits are writing about how they didn't see that coming. D'oh. And I think it'll be led by excellence by our Club Champion and our Rising Star along with the newly beefed-up Josh and Adam.

But we have one big bogie to overcome - and they are the Premiers right now. I have hopes that a new coach and new resolve will get us the win against the Pies during the season that we need - and in the finals. If we beat the Pies in R14 I really think we can go all the way.

satchmopugdog
23rd March 2011, 06:16 PM
A collingwood supporting friend of mine who lives in Coffs went to the game the other week and said we looked top 4....I'll go with his opinion

Jewels
24th March 2011, 01:36 PM
A collingwood supporting friend of mine who lives in Coffs went to the game the other week and said we looked top 4....I'll go with his opinion

My brother also lives in Coffs and is a bombers member. As a joke before the game there the other week, I sent him a text to ask if he was taking his son to see "The 2011 premiers play". He returned fire with yes, 2011 will be third time lucky for the Saints.
The next day however, he rang me and said that after seeing our young brigade in the flesh, maybe my claim wasn't so outrageous.