PDA

View Full Version : Rd 3 team discussion - Alex Johnson to debut. Meredith out.

RogueSwan
5th April 2011, 09:18 PM
Surely we will play two ruck men this week, Mummy against Cox and White against Natanui will be asking for trouble.
I am guessing that Seaby would be the one to come in, especially seeing it against his old team which would probably give him an extra lift, but from the Ressie's posts it seems Pyke is playing pretty good footy. Still they would go for Seaby over Pyke for this game, surely.

So who comes out?

You can't really mess with the defence. By this I mean that even though he wasn't great the last couple of weeks we still need Everitt and his height down back.
Reid and White are looking good up forward, along with Bevo,so you wouldn't want to mess with that ATM so it would probably have to be a midfielder.
Bird or Meredith?

Tough because neither has done anything wrong except be the last one picked.
Maybe Bird stays behind this time as Meredith should be a little fresher after being the sub last week?? I prefer Bird playing over Meredith, but that is just personal preference.
We really wouldn't be down a midfielder either as Goodes can still play there if required.

Triple B
5th April 2011, 09:42 PM
There wasn't much between them at all in the ressies, imo, but I think at this stage Seaby probably offers us slightly more up forward and with the added incentive of playing against his old club will probably see him get the nod.

Bas
5th April 2011, 10:38 PM
Seaby in for White. As Triple B said - he knows the team and the ground well.

ugg
5th April 2011, 10:51 PM
White doesn't necessarily have to be the one to give way. They could shift Goodes to be a midfielder primarily and drop a smaller player like Meredith, Jetta, Bird, Rohan etc. I think White's versatility is very important just in case one of the rucks or tall defenders (I shudder to think what would happen if we lost Ted or Reg during a game) goes down injured.

I also think that if we weren't playing West Coast at Subi, Pyke would have gotten the nod.

Bas
5th April 2011, 10:57 PM
I said that because I thought he was very lazy last weekend.

ugg
5th April 2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks to Scott's stats, we can see for the 2nd week in a row Rohan played less than 70% game time, and this week even spent less time on ground than the man who was substituted Craig Bird.

RedandWhiteOnline (RWO) Messageboard (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=stats&rnd=Round02&sby=number&year=2011)

stellation
6th April 2011, 08:38 AM
I said that because I thought he was very lazy last weekend.

You thought White was lazy? I thought his first half of footy was good but he faded through the day- and I think that's be expected given the role he was playing, I'm reluctant to call anyone who switches between playing as a leading forward and playing as an undersized ruckman on a warm day too lazy. I know his numbers aren't huge in either category (obviously should have had 3 goals) but I think overall not a bad return for 73% game time- I haven't watched a replay yet, but sitting there live I'd say the split was probably 23% ruck/50% forward? maybe 20%/53%? I daresay the coaching staff were happy with his performance given that split of time.

That said, I imagine he'd be the one to make way if Reid's shoulder's okay and they don't want to commit to Goodesy spending too much time in the midfield. If so I do think it's a shame, I think he and Reid actually work quite well together in the forward line- I'd like to see them play a full game together there without White swapping in/out of the ruck.

Bas
6th April 2011, 08:45 AM
You thought White was lazy? I thought his first half of footy was good but he faded through the day- and I think that's be expected given the role he was playing, .

I noticed him miss a few important things in the last quarter. It may have been fatigue as he didn't seem to have the energy to jump to a contest. I am a Jesse fan though and would rather not see him play as a ruckman.

stellation
6th April 2011, 08:48 AM
I noticed him miss a few important things in the last quarter. It may have been fatigue as he didn't seem to have the energy to jump to a contest. I am a Jesse fan though and would rather not see him play as a ruckman.

Ahhh, gotcha. I thought he looked quite fatigued towards the end of the game.

Nich
6th April 2011, 08:58 AM
Seaby in for Meredith with Rohan/Bird to sub. They'll probably want run from Jetta/Rohan for speed on the big ground but Gaz could have great impact coming late into the match if they were to take someone like White off.

Without Mal/Tadhg though they've needed Gary down back but he would make a damn fine impact/utility player on the big grounds of Subi heading into the 4th qtr.

swansrob
6th April 2011, 10:18 AM
Seaby in for Meredith with Rohan/Bird to sub. They'll probably want run from Jetta/Rohan for speed on the big ground but Gaz could have great impact coming late into the match if they were to take someone like White off.

Without Mal/Tadhg though they've needed Gary down back but he would make a damn fine impact/utility player on the big grounds of Subi heading into the 4th qtr.

This sounds pretty good to me. It's unlikely Meredith will play this week after only playing the last quarter last week - just like Seaby the week before him.

Captain
6th April 2011, 11:07 AM
I would make no change. Bird the sub.

Plugger46
6th April 2011, 01:09 PM
In: Pyke
Out: Meredith

Sub: Rohan.

swansrule100
6th April 2011, 01:30 PM
i wouldnt worry about the 2nd ruck, might help with cox and natanui, but leaves us short a runner, and means we either have a 2nd ruck parked on the bench all the time, or a useless pyke or seaby offering nothing up forward.

Primmy
6th April 2011, 02:27 PM
i wouldnt worry about the 2nd ruck, might help with cox and natanui, but leaves us short a runner, and means we either have a 2nd ruck parked on the bench all the time, or a useless pyke or seaby offering nothing up forward.
Actually I would bring in Pyke, because as we have observed in practice matches etc that one of the things he can do is run.....a lot.....and fast....you haven't had a chance to see him yet but he actually quite an athlete and he has a bit motor. I'd play him. Sub Rohan, maybe.

dimelb
6th April 2011, 04:21 PM
In fact they can both play forward. Seaby is used to it, is a good mark and a decent kick. Pike is a very good mark and (going on the ressies reports) has become a good kick. I agree with those who have said that against Cox/Naitanui we will need to play two ruckmen, so I'm inclined to agree with P46, though I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Seaby there instead of Pyke.

Cheer_Cheer
6th April 2011, 05:18 PM
It is great to be in a position to say I would be happy with either Pyke or Seaby coming in.. I agree with Meredith out and I reckon Rohan is made to be a sub. It seems that most sides view the sub as a late in the game impact player. Rohan is like an excitable red setter. I can see him siting on the sideline just raring to go..

Primmy
6th April 2011, 10:08 PM
Just re4membered - Seaby, West Coast......they would have to play him wouldn't they?

RogueSwan
6th April 2011, 10:21 PM
Surely we will play two ruck men this week, Mummy against Cox and White against Natanui will be asking for trouble.
I am guessing that Seaby would be the one to come in, especially seeing it against his old team ....

Just re4membered - Seaby, West Coast.....

I thought this gave it away. :)

Bas
6th April 2011, 10:40 PM
Seaby in for White. As Triple B said - he knows the team and the ground well.

No it was this one ! :D

giant
6th April 2011, 10:44 PM
In: Pyke
Out: Meredith

Sub: Rohan.

That's about where my thinking was too - you obviously don't want to go in too tall at Subi but the Eagles are a very tall team as well. Either of Rohan or Jetta as the sub.

ShockOfHair
7th April 2011, 01:41 AM
And the incoming player is.... Johnson! As in Alex. I'd have thought he'd be the last of our 2010 draftees to be picked (after Lamb & Parker), but hey, not the first time I've been completely wrong.

Longmire says AJ will definitely be picked in the 21.

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/another-young-gun-answers-call-from-swans-20110406-1d4jc.html

Congratulations, Alex!

DeadlyAkkuret
7th April 2011, 02:48 AM
Very shocked. I don't get to watch the reserves, what is this kid like?

wyatt
7th April 2011, 07:46 AM
This story briefly appeared on the Swans website, now it seems to have disappeared.

Johnson to make early debut - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=111032)

Good on the young fella, though I'm surprised he's leapfrogged a few others in the pecking order. Good luck Alex.
(edit: it's back up)

liz
7th April 2011, 07:54 AM
Very shocked. I don't get to watch the reserves, what is this kid like?

Definitely one from left field. He has looked good in the three reserves games I've watched - but more along the lines of "good for an 18yo developing KPP who was a 3rd year draft pick last year".

From a team structure point of view, it is not an obvious selection either. He's been playing mostly in defence for the reserves so far, but has been thrown forward for parts of games. Hard to see them bringing him in to play in a key defensive role. Reg, Ted and Marty have been largely doing this, and can't see young Alex being preferred over them. So if he is to play down back, it is likely to be at the expense of Rohan or Everitt, you'd think (though Rohan could be used in another role possibly). If he plays up forward, does this mean they will drop White? Plausible if either Pyke or Seaby is to play. Or maybe Reid's shoulder, which looked sore at the end of Sunday's game, is going to keep him out of the team.

Legs Akimbo
7th April 2011, 07:56 AM
It seems longmire is putting together HIS future team. Wonder who will drop out given a tall is in, but not the one we expected.

Primmy
7th April 2011, 08:31 AM
Have been watching Alex closely, and although it may seem a bit early to bring him in, he is an organiser and he is safe and importantly very self assured. Plays way above his age group. I am delighted, slightly surprised, but not in the slightest worried we have him. Think Sam and you will get what I mean. And he is tall. And we need back line defense like mad.

Primmy
7th April 2011, 08:32 AM
I thought this gave it away. :)
Arf, what makes y ou think I read the first page.......or all of the second.......it was just a fleeting blast of redzone what made me done it.........

BSA5
7th April 2011, 08:55 AM
A bit like Cambo last year, perhaps? Young, not dominating, but has impressed at training, earnt respect, is recognised as a player for the future and is considered "safe", even if they know he doesn't yet have what it takes to stand out.

ernie koala
7th April 2011, 09:04 AM
Well how refreshing, we are seeing that coach Longmire is certainly no clone of Roos. For starters, he has a vastly different approach when it comes to playing youngsters.
And a game plan of fast ball movement, including a licence for the quickies to run and carry, and a rapid spread from stoppages, and, like most teams now, plenty of forward pressure (Collingwood style).
Whether Johnson plays well this week or not, they will find out plenty about him playing at this level, which is invaluable for future reference.
Horse obviously loves players that are athletic and can play at both ends of the park. His endurance (top5 at Swans) may be handy in the last quarter.

Triple B
7th April 2011, 09:15 AM
A bit like Cambo last year, perhaps? Young, not dominating, but has impressed at training, earnt respect, is recognised as a player for the future and is considered "safe", even if they know he doesn't yet have what it takes to stand out.

A pretty good summation.

I just worry that Lewis Johnston may be feeling a little 'wtf do I need to do' this morning...

Big Al
7th April 2011, 09:20 AM
A pretty good summation.

I just worry that Lewis Johnston may be feeling a little 'wtf do I need to do' this morning...

I think if we needed a forward he probably would have gotten a look in. Alex helps the undersized defense this week. Horses for courses if you'll pardon the expression.

Nich
7th April 2011, 09:22 AM
Has to be either Incy or Gaz. You would think Gaz has it over Everitt because of his speed and versatility. Mmmm....lokking forward to team sheet coming out now. Good Luck Alex!!! Well done Son.

Peace
7th April 2011, 09:23 AM
I remember rohan pulling up sore after sprinting to a smother/tackle in the last quarter.... maybe he wont be making the trip this week?

Triple B
7th April 2011, 09:32 AM
I think if we needed a forward he probably would have gotten a look in. Alex helps the undersized defense this week. Horses for courses if you'll pardon the expression.

All fine, except that LJ has also been playing down back....

Nich
7th April 2011, 09:39 AM
I remember rohan pulling up sore after sprinting to a smother/tackle in the last quarter.... maybe he wont be making the trip this week?

Just cramping. He's sweet (from what I hear), and he was walking around after the game fine. He's still got a bad problem with cramping. Maybe the flight to Perth, the short turnaround between games and the big ground might put him at risk in the coaches eyes because of that though?

Guess we'll find out at 5pm!

magic.merkin
7th April 2011, 09:59 AM
Well how refreshing, we are seeing that coach Longmire is certainly no clone of Roos. For starters, he has a vastly different approach when it comes to playing youngsters.
And a game plan of fast ball movement, including a licence for the quickies to run and carry, and a rapid spread from stoppages, and, like most teams now, plenty of forward pressure (Collingwood style).
Whether Johnson plays well this week or not, they will find out plenty about him playing at this level, which is invaluable for future reference.
Horse obviously loves players that are athletic and can play at both ends of the park. His endurance (top5 at Swans) may be handy in the last quarter.

I don't necessarily agree that they are all that different, nor vastly different when playing youngsters. I mean look at Hanners his debut he was in year 12. Heath played last year, Jack @ 19, Bird 19 etc.
They are both of the philopsy you only get a game if you deserve, they are not handed out. So we can see Alex has earned it, and he was lucky a spot has popped up (where that maybe is the interesting question :) ).

Game plan wise, Roos plan changed as needed, and so has Horses with everyone adopting Collingwood's pressure and tactics into their own.

I welcome the few differences he has brought, and acknowledge his continuity of our style and ethics. It was the best outcome we could have hoped for with this changeover.

Big Al
7th April 2011, 10:02 AM
All fine, except that LJ has also been playing down back....

Goes to show I should take more notice of the Reserves. He did play up front last year didn't he???

stellation
7th April 2011, 10:05 AM
I tend to agree, hopefully (and I assume it's the case) the coaching staff have taken him aside and said "he's got a run for reason X, Y and Z" to set some clear cut goals for him. I've only seen a half of magoos footy this year unfortunately, so haven't had a chance to see AJ in action but have been a longtime LJ fan.

Best of luck to AJ- I am sure it's going to be an amazing experience and I hope he does really well!

liz
7th April 2011, 10:06 AM
The article on the Swans' site confirms he's been selected with a defensive role in mind, pointing to the raft of Eagles tall forwards. I confess I didn't think they had an unusually large number -Kennedy, obviously, Darling, Lynch at times (if he plays). Embley has been kicking goals but more as a midfielder / HFF (I reckon Marty M is a decent match-up for him). Who have I missed?

Johnson to make early debut - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/111032/default.aspx)

stellation
7th April 2011, 10:06 AM
Goes to show I should take more notice of the Reserves. He did play up front last year didn't he???

Yep, if you think of LJ and think "forward" you're not too far off the mark.

jono2707
7th April 2011, 10:11 AM
I had one of those Peter Taylor/Mark Taylor moments when I heard it on the news this morning.....

stellation
7th April 2011, 10:12 AM
The article on the Swans' site confirms he's been selected with a defensive role in mind, pointing to the raft of Eagles tall forwards. I confess I didn't think they had an unusually large number -Kennedy, obviously, Darling, Lynch at times (if he plays). Embley has been kicking goals but more as a midfielder / HFF (I reckon Marty M is a decent match-up for him). Who have I missed?

Johnson to make early debut - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/111032/default.aspx)
Ebert as well at a stretch (nyuk nyuk nyuk), but he's really at an inbetween height and I'd expect Everitt or Rohan could cover him from the current backline. Swans might be concerned that with no LeCras the Eagles will rest a ruckman for longer? Is NicNat back this week?

liz
7th April 2011, 10:17 AM
Pretty sure Nicnat played last week.

The Wiggles' Ebert is more of a midfielder, isn't he?

ugg
7th April 2011, 10:26 AM

The resting ruckman? I reckon he would make a good matchup for Darling

ugg
7th April 2011, 10:43 AM
DT says WC forward Lewis Broome might debut, all 167cm of him

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/taking-off-ahead-of-schedule/story-e6frexni-1226034954527

ABloodsMan
7th April 2011, 10:54 AM
I confess I thought Johnson would be a project player and we wouldn't sight him for a couple of years. To make his debut in round 3 is outstanding work. Well done to the lad. Hopefully he takes this opportunity with both hands.

Triple B
7th April 2011, 10:58 AM

Al, towards the end of last year he was moved down back for major parts of games. Certainly recruited and considered a forward, but has played more and more down back, including the whole game last weekend and has been doing a pretty reasonable job of it.

As I told anybody who wanted to listen on Sunday and tweeted over Twitter, I was wrapped with AJ's game on the weekend, but I would have thought that LJ was still in front of him, so I'm a bit surprised...

Triple B
7th April 2011, 11:02 AM

I've got him pretty much a ROK type of build and height, certainly not a tall by any means, although like ROK, he may play tall.

NicNat definately played against Port.

AnsweredPrayers
7th April 2011, 11:02 AM
After the Essendon game John Longmire made the comment that ROK and Dan H are both successful because they are very good athletes who run all day and that's what's required in the modern game. Reading that AJ is in the top 5 endurance athletes at the club explains to me why AJ was chosen ahead of LJ. LJ may be stronger overhead but as the game wears on the ability to find space or get to a contest can be more important. Well done to AJ he must be training like a Trojan.

ernie koala
7th April 2011, 11:14 AM
As I told anybody who wanted to listen on Sunday and tweeted over Twitter, I was wrapped with AJ's game on the weekend, but I would have thought that LJ was still in front of him, so I'm a bit surprised...

Maybe his endurance is a key factor given how many players run out of juice.

stellation
7th April 2011, 11:16 AM

Right you are, he did play- wasn't really thinking there! Ebert is a midfielder, but played some junior footy as a forward from memory and from Eagles games I've seen (not a lot) spends a bit of time there. The ROK comparison is a good one, he's at that 6'2"ish, inbetweener kind of height but can play tall- like I said, I'd expect Everitt or Rohan could cover him anyway if he played forward.

Triple B
7th April 2011, 11:20 AM
Good video up already interviewing AJ. It's obvious he can scarcely believe it and is on cloud 9. Good on him...

AJ to debut (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/344805/swanstv+alex+johnson+to+debut/default.aspx)

Triple B
7th April 2011, 11:24 AM
Scott, I've noticed it a bit lately with various posters where the last word on the first line is repeated at the start of the second line.

It just happened to my post above ^^^. If I go to edit, it is still only typed in once. Obviously a bug, although maybe nothing u can do, just pointing it out...

Big Al
7th April 2011, 11:31 AM
Al, towards the end of last year he was moved down back for major parts of games. Certainly recruited and considered a forward, but has played more and more down back, including the whole game last weekend and has been doing a pretty reasonable job of it.

Thanks for the info mate.

Be very interesting what they do with Lewis considering he's been in the sytem awhile now so you would think he'd have to make it this year otherwise he may be on the way out.

dimelb
7th April 2011, 11:58 AM
Outstanding rap for AJ from Horse. Well done the young fella, keep it up and let's see what you can do on the big stage. Have a great game.

Primmy
7th April 2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe the thoughts are with the bigger ground they needed a proper motor and Alex Johno certainly is ok there. For that reason alone I would put hm ahead of LJ who isn't a great distance stamina type (yet)

stellation
7th April 2011, 12:15 PM
I had one of those Peter Taylor/Mark Taylor moments when I heard it on the news this morning.....

:rofl

swansrule100
7th April 2011, 01:31 PM
always good to see a young player in, especially a young KPP, would like to see lamb get in or parker soon too

ugg
7th April 2011, 03:25 PM
Good video up already interviewing AJ. It's obvious he can scarcely believe it and is on cloud 9. Good on him...

AJ to debut (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/344805/swanstv+alex+johnson+to+debut/default.aspx)
Very impressed with that interview, sounds like he has a very mature head attached to those young shoulders.

Nich
7th April 2011, 04:09 PM
He sounds like Hank!

magic.merkin
7th April 2011, 04:13 PM
Very impressed with that interview, sounds like he has a very mature head attached to those young shoulders.

Just oozes raw joy and excitement! Best of Luck!

SCGonasunnyday
7th April 2011, 05:40 PM
this is insane (and I love it).

A guy nobody has been talking about being picked to play in Perth.

I'm dumbfounded but excited. Good luck son and hope you take your chance and do great things.

ugg
7th April 2011, 06:00 PM
Just one change Alex Johnson in for Brett Meredith

Lamb Pyke Meredith the emergencies

Nich
7th April 2011, 06:00 PM
Sydney Swans team list:

B: P.Bevan, T.Richards, M.Mattner
HB: R.Shaw, H.Grundy, A.Johnson
C: B.McGlynn, K.Jack, N.Smith
HF: J.Bolton, S.Reid, A.Goodes
F: R.O'Keefe, J.White, D.Hannebery
Foll: S.Mumford, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh
Interchange: C.Bird, G.Rohan, L.Jetta, A.Everitt
Emg: J.Lamb, B.Meredith, M.Pyke

In: A.Johnson
Out: B.Meredith

New:
A. Johnson (Oakleigh U18)

Auntie.Gerald
7th April 2011, 06:04 PM
I like the team and still expect Everitt to start.........but it makes sense to start AJ because if he struggles we can sub on Incy !

Nich
7th April 2011, 06:06 PM
They'll start him. He might not stay on for long but he should start.

Go Swannies
7th April 2011, 06:09 PM
A question - we knew Meredith wouldn't play this week as he only got a quarter of footy in last week. But now he goes to Perth as an emergency. So he won't be in the team next week either. Does that mean every team needs increased depth to keep substitute players cycling through the reserves?

Melbourne_Blood
7th April 2011, 06:10 PM
Its interesting that we aren't playing a second ruck, even more so that Pyke is the emergency ahead of Seaby.....
Is Everitt perhaps going to be doing a bit of ruck work along with Mummy and White ? ( did he occasionally pinch hit at the doggies ? )

ugg
7th April 2011, 06:20 PM
A question - we knew Meredith wouldn't play this week as he only got a quarter of footy in last week. But now he goes to Perth as an emergency. So he won't be in the team next week either. Does that mean every team needs increased depth to keep substitute players cycling through the reserves?
Reserves are playing on Sunday 12.30pm. I think they've done this before: as soon as the match starts and none of the emergencies have been required they head straight to the airport to fly back to Sydney or Canberra.

Auntie.Gerald
7th April 2011, 06:21 PM
just White in the ruck is my guess.................we need to persist with White...............given Braddys injuries etc etc and White is still on the vertical rise me thinks to becoming an important player for us

ernie koala
7th April 2011, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised Seaby isn't getting a run against his old team. Everitt needs to show a bit this week, I'm not sure pinch hitting in the ruck will enhance his form.
I would of liked to see White used as the sub. Seaby in the run on side. White only ever gives a one good quarters worth. If he could do that as a sub in the last he could be quite devastating.

Bas
7th April 2011, 06:25 PM
Not the rucking news that I expected.

How will Mummy cope against the two?. White man can't jump!

Shall be interesting but good luck to A J over L J.

ugg
7th April 2011, 06:26 PM
Umpires (our records under them)

12. Corey BOWEN (0 wins 0 losses 0 draws)
15. Matthew NICHOLLS (9 wins 5 losses 0 draws)
29. Scott JEFFERY (12 wins 9 losses 1 draw)
Emg: 16. Jeff DALGLEISH (0 wins 1 loss 0 draws)

DeadlyAkkuret
7th April 2011, 06:34 PM
This is why White can never develop properly, constantly being thrown into a position where he doesn't belong. We're also running Mumford ragged for no reason.

Doctor
7th April 2011, 06:43 PM
I know nothing about AJ so can't comment on his selection but it sounds like the reasoning is sound so good on him. I'd have played Pyke though (not necessarily instead of AJ, but I'd have played him). He has an awesome engine, is quick and played a ripper at Subiaco last year against Freo.

GongSwan
7th April 2011, 06:43 PM
Personally I'd look at the way the ruck is handled. Having one ruckman cover the whole field is a big ask, especially at Subi. Why not have White ryck in the forward 50, leave Mummy to contest the mid and defensive at least he only has to cover 70% of the ground. If we can get LRT back into the team gives us another option as well. I probably would have played Seaby, off the bench to givde Mummy a spell, then move him to the forward line, and rotate him into the ruck. At the rate he's going, and even tho Mummy is a very good athlete for a big man, by years end, when we get to the finals (notice I said when) he's going to be buggered. Only my opinion but new strategies need to be looked at

ugg
7th April 2011, 06:53 PM
The sub's vest is the poisoned chalice - our 2 subs have been dropped the following week and not without reason either. This week's sub won't be happy when the property steward comes up and hands him that green vest.

In more serious matters, it's interesting that the Eagles have also brought in a defensive tall in Eric Mackenzie to counter our 3 talls in our forward line.

Primmy
7th April 2011, 07:13 PM
Hmm, I thought perhaps Incy would be subbed and Merry not play, but.....maybe its a point of making sure they all get a gig somewhere even if the emergencies play ressies.....at least that way they get weekly game time....that would explain the droppings (so to speak).

I did love Johno's interview .... from the school of Hannerbery in the ability to talk and his maturity under pressure ...... but he looked like he was inches away from dancing up and down and yelling yes yes yes!!!!

PS: Is Jenny Mac that small or is he that tall?

ugg
7th April 2011, 07:20 PM
He's listed as 194 cm Primmy and Horse did say he has put on 6kg since joining the club.

The Big Cat
7th April 2011, 07:29 PM
He's listed as 194 cm Primmy and Horse did say he has put on 6kg since joining the club.

And runs like the wind! And a tackling machine!

ScottH
7th April 2011, 07:35 PM
The sub's vest is the poisoned chalice - our 2 subs have been dropped the following week and not without reason either. This week's sub won't be happy when the property steward comes up and hands him that green vest. Very interesting that isn't it.
If we had a high impact player we could bring on, and make and immediate difference to the team, like some one with fresh legs thrown onto the ball, it could turn a game.
But we haven't used the sub to that advantage. Maybe the Subs have said it's 2's or nothing for me.

stellation
7th April 2011, 07:41 PM
God that named CHF/FF line looks exciting if they can both make it as long term players.

Nico
7th April 2011, 08:16 PM
Johnson must be highly rated to come in at Round 3, as it is not done very often at our club.

Nico
7th April 2011, 08:18 PM
Umpires (our records under them)

12. Corey BOWEN (0 wins 0 losses 0 draws)
15. Matthew NICHOLLS (9 wins 5 losses 0 draws)
29. Scott JEFFERY (12 wins 9 losses 1 draw)
Emg: 16. Jeff DALGLEISH (0 wins 1 loss 0 draws)

Scott Jeffrey was the umpire that had the clangers in the Richmond/StKilda game. Looks like he has been sent to Siberia for his sins.

Bas
7th April 2011, 08:20 PM
Scott Jeffrey was the umpire that had the clangers in the Richmond/StKilda game. Looks like he has been sent to Siberia for his sins.

Don't you mean Suberia?

Nico
7th April 2011, 08:23 PM
Don't you mean Suberia?

Nup Siberia it is. Or as Colonel Clink would say..."The Russian Front".

stellation
7th April 2011, 08:24 PM
Nup Siberia it is. Or as Colonel Clink would say..."The Russian Front".

Vale NMWBLoods.

giant
7th April 2011, 08:56 PM
vale nmwbloods.

:d

Nico
7th April 2011, 08:59 PM
Got to love Melbourne Media. 7pm Thursday, Mark Fyne and Nathan Thompson do the teams. Rattled on about West Coast and their subs etc etc. Didn't hear our team read out and no mention of Alex Johnson. Talked adnausium about Gaff. Fair dinkum, Thompson didn't stop to take a breath when talking about WCE.

ShockOfHair
7th April 2011, 09:01 PM
Feeling for Pyke, Seaby and LJ right now. After all the work Pyke put into learning Aussie Rules, the interchange rule came in and has killed off the specialist second ruck. Likewise Seaby, though he didn't fly across the world to punt on a new sport.

Agree with 3B about LJ - what's a guy gotta do to get a game? Admittedly I don't see an obvious position for him, but he's got a great pair of a hands and is the best kick in the club (says Roos). Is his problem that the guys he's competing with are either taller, faster or have a bigger tank?

IrishSwanPerth
7th April 2011, 09:06 PM
Where is Tadhg?

Nico
7th April 2011, 09:15 PM
Got to love Melbourne Media. 7pm Thursday, Mark Fyne and Nathan Thompson do the teams. Rattled on about West Coast and their subs etc etc. Didn't hear our team read out and no mention of Alex Johnson. Talked adnausium about Gaff. Fair dinkum, Thompson didn't stop to take a breath when talking about WCE.

Well, well, good on them. They read out my text message alerting them to their omission and gave him a mention, and Thompson even said he must have been rattling on.

Bas
7th April 2011, 09:15 PM
I can't wait to see the battle of the emergencies - their Hams against our Lamb.

Tony Shaw on League Teams tonight has said that Sam Reid will, in the next 3 years, be one of the best 6 players in the WHOLE of the AFL.

Hopefully as CHF.

LT team is giving it to Razor Ray for not being able to bounce the ball above his head.

stellation
7th April 2011, 09:19 PM
I can't wait to see the battle of the emergencies - their Hams against our Lamb.

You have to look at how they perform the next day- ham and eggs vs. lamb sandwich. Line ball decision, IMO.

Melbournehammer
7th April 2011, 09:21 PM
I agree. I feel really sorry for seabs because i thought he started last season really well before getting injured and showed he could rest in the forward line but also be damaging there. I think if he can't get a run over there in this game i can't think of where else he will get a run. The only obvious time to pick two rucks is against those team with two rucks - and essendon and west coast are those teams. How would he get a run against a collingwood who play brown there or geelong who play hawkins there ?

Pyke I think will simply continue to get better and we are going to need some big bodies. and if he continues to improve in the twos he will get a run again.

Am really worried about and for LJ. I watched him preseason and thought he struggled to get enough separation on his defenders so i was worried about him as a forward this season. But given that he has been playing as a kpd this year i would have thought he must be about ready for a run in the ones. Maybe they really want to groom him into those positions but i would think hes behind lrt and maybe even spangher to play as a defender. For him to play anywhere else his work is cut out i reckon because i think meredith will be back in next week after he has a full game in the magoos. i just hope that the coaching staff make it clear that he is in the plans and on what basis and that the senior players also make sure he is helped along. It would be pretty disappointing to lose him becvause from what i have seen of him he can play.

Bas
7th April 2011, 09:27 PM
You have to look at how they perform the next day- ham and eggs vs. lamb sandwich. Line ball decision, IMO.

You're right. I didn't think of it that way. However, only one of them goes well with Currie.

Auntie.Gerald
7th April 2011, 09:30 PM
Feeling for Pyke, Seaby and LJ right now. After all the work Pyke put into learning Aussie Rules, the interchange rule came in and has killed off the specialist second ruck. Likewise Seaby, though he didn't fly across the world to punt on a new sport.

Agree with 3B about LJ - what's a guy gotta do to get a game? Admittedly I don't see an obvious position for him, but he's got a great pair of a hands and is the best kick in the club (says Roos). Is his problem that the guys he's competing with are either taller, faster or have a bigger tank?

I think LJ could become a flanker defender if he puts his mind to it....................but the reality is that he hasnt filled out yet and doesnt have the endurance for a light weight tall !

he has plenty of time...................remember Grundy didnt play till 21/22 yrs of age................LJ just turned 20 last month.............he has so much time and so do we with Reidy killing it up front and enough back covering and competing for spots............AJ is worth the risk this week, because if it comes off and he can handle a shut down role we suddenly have more options then you can poke a stick at in the backs !!

Primmy
7th April 2011, 09:35 PM
Look, there appears to be a fair bit of angst about LJ but lets put this in perspective. He was drafted 2.5 years ago yes, but spent the whole of the first year recovering from an operation to a foot which the club knew was going to happen. He has in fact had only one year in ressies! That's all. Its not his fifth on the list! Lets not put him out to pasture just yet. He is still a work in progress as a KPP, and as Aunty pointed out, he has just turned 20

swansrule100
7th April 2011, 09:42 PM
its nice we have all these players to argue over wether they should play or not, the club is building some good depth in youth.

Lucky Knickers
7th April 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm really excited after watching AJs snippet. Puts a bit smile on your face to see him so happy!
Also love a guy who uses "intimated" in a sentence.
He was very good on the weekend I thought.

The Big Cat
7th April 2011, 10:14 PM
its nice we have all these players to argue over wether they should play or not, the club is building some good depth in youth.

Good one. It fits in nicely with the lamb jokes above!

ugg
7th April 2011, 10:16 PM
Look, there appears to be a fair bit of angst about LJ but lets put this in perspective. He was drafted 2.5 years ago yes, but spent the whole of the first year recovering from an operation to a foot which the club knew was going to happen. He has in fact had only one year in ressies! That's all. Its not his fifth on the list! Lets not put him out to pasture just yet. He is still a work in progress as a KPP, and as Aunty pointed out, he has just turned 20
Well said. In addition, I don't remember a reserves game where I've sat up and concluded that Johnston deserves a place for next week. Just because he was selected at pick 12 in the draft doesn't give him a bonus ride into the seniors. Johnston still has a lot of work to do, especially with regards to his consistency.

I also wouldn't put him in as a defender, I think his bodywork is actually the worst part of his game and he would struggle in that regard.

Auntie.Gerald
7th April 2011, 10:21 PM
Its brilliant to have such a competitive and hungry bunch who are 22 yrs of age or under with 8 or so 20 or under and all ready to rumble if needed !!!

i) Hannes - 20
ii) Reid - 19
iii) Rohan - 19
iv) Sumner - 19
v) AJ - 19
vi) LJ - 20
vii) Parker - 18
viii) Lamby - 18
ix) Incy - 21
x) Jetta - 21
xi) Kennedy - 22
xii) Smithy - 22
xiii) Birdy - only just turned 22

ShockOfHair
7th April 2011, 11:23 PM
Well said. In addition, I don't remember a reserves game where I've sat up and concluded that Johnston deserves a place for next week. Just because he was selected at pick 12 in the draft doesn't give him a bonus ride into the seniors. Johnston still has a lot of work to do, especially with regards to his consistency.

I also wouldn't put him in as a defender, I think his bodywork is actually the worst part of his game and he would struggle in that regard.

I admit I'm only wondering about LJ because he's been displaced by someone a year younger and with one less letter in his name. :)

It's the support rucks I feel sorry for. Their best hope is that the League will introduce a 'second ruck' rule to make sure the game maintains its ability to attract young basketballers.

(That was meant as a joke but under AFL logic it seems almost sensible.)

ugg
8th April 2011, 01:33 AM
Pyke's still a chance according to Horse

Pyke insurance policy (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/pyke-insurance-policy-20110407-1d68f.html)

DeadlyAkkuret
8th April 2011, 02:07 AM
Vale Seaby's AFL career.

GongSwan
8th April 2011, 03:18 AM
Next years draft is going to be severely handicapped by the entry of GWS, if we don't blood some young talent this year, we will be in a world of hurt. This is why we must get the young guys in, give them game time and experience, if some of our key players go down or if someone doesn't fill the gap left by Bolton in the backlinf, we could find ourselves in dutch over the next few years. I doubt we'll see much more of Bradshaw, indefinite on the injury list. Goodes, Bolton and ROK not getting any younger, the leadership group is going to change dramatically over the next couple of years and we need some 50 gamers and 100 gamers in the side. Younger the better, fast, high endurance players with the limits of the interchange. We must run out games better than the rest, and yrp, if this kid turns out to be anything like as good as reid is looking, we'll be well set in the forward line. Personally I believe if Eski was on the field we flog both Melbourne and Bombers, so here's to the second half of the season, when we should really be flying

aardvark
8th April 2011, 08:35 AM
Vale Seaby's AFL career.

If we keep playing Mummy for 100 minutes a game it won't be long until Seaby gets a game.

Auntie.Gerald
8th April 2011, 08:37 AM
Sydney Swans team list:

B: P.Bevan, T.Richards, M.Mattner
HB: R.Shaw, H.Grundy, A.Johnson
C: B.McGlynn, K.Jack, N.Smith
HF: J.Bolton, S.Reid, A.Goodes
F: R.O'Keefe, J.White, D.Hannebery
Foll: S.Mumford, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh
Interchange: C.Bird, G.Rohan, L.Jetta, A.Everitt
Emg: J.Lamb, B.Meredith, M.Pyke

In: A.Johnson
Out: B.Meredith

New:
A. Johnson (Oakleigh U18)

Just looking again at the team it would be fair to say that to help our midfield we have gone with the tightest frontline to date ie ROK and Hannes and Bolts upfront........they will put tremendous pressure on the Eagles backline.................I agree with Horse..........if we can place the most pressure on their backline getting out of defence then our midfield and backline will make better decisions...........I think we can pressure WC out of this game...................we have scrambled the last two weeks and now it is time to start to dominate the field like we did in the first 20mins against the Bombers where we jammed them in their defensive half

Also smart decision to put McGlynn back on the ball and Jetts on the bench to ensure we pay are 110% hard at the ball across the midfield

I am also liking Jessie starting more central at FF and Goodes roaming on the flank

dimelb
8th April 2011, 08:39 AM
Vale Seaby's AFL career.
I suspect it may not be that drastic. Maybe they are being careful with a comparatively underdone ruckman and a big ground involving lots of running.

Triple B
8th April 2011, 08:44 AM
Just looking again at the team it would be fair to say......

Selected positions....................grain of salt.

satchmopugdog
8th April 2011, 08:49 AM

You could see that all he wanted to do was jump up and down and shout,"I'm in the team, Im in the team..woohoo"

Bas
8th April 2011, 09:03 AM
If we keep playing Mummy for 100 minutes a game it won't be long until Seaby gets a game.

I fear Mummy unwrapping with all the pressure that is being placed on him. This week should give us the definitive answer if not playing two specialised ruckmen will work.

Big Al
8th April 2011, 10:01 AM
I fear Mummy unwrapping with all the pressure that is being placed on him. This week should give us the definitive answer if not playing two specialised ruckmen will work.

Longmire said in a little piece in the Herald that Pyke is a definite chance of coming in. One ruckman over there against Cox and NicNat is too bigger risk imo.

swansrob
8th April 2011, 10:17 AM

Considering Pyke is the one in Perth right now, I'm not so sure that's the case.

Mountain Man
8th April 2011, 10:21 AM
I know that selected positions don't mean much for the actual playing time, but presuming they mean something, this week is a bit weird, IMHO.

Selections are White at FF and Reid at CHF. Sound great ........ but then White has to go do the ruck relief.
Goodes on a flank, and O'Keefe a 3rd tall in the pocket. Again great, as presumably an indication Goodes is set to roam....... but when he does, and O'Keefe is doing his rotations and run, we are left with Reid as the sole consistent focus. That seems a big responsibility for a very young player.

Defensive pressure come from Bolton and Hannerbery as the selected 'smalls' in the forward set up. Excellent players both (but poor Beavan is again selected at the other end). ........... but not quick and not real crumbers in the McGlynn and Jetta mould.

But my big concern about this apparent PLAN A is for the midfield: we expect them to hit targets; get it in quick; not bang long in hope; not give cheap possessions to opponents backs; not waste time; not get caught HTB -
but they have had no consistency about the Forward set up, and what they might see in the brief instant they look up.

no consistency during pre-season; from game to game; and during games.

So, selections sound great, but time will tell.

My hope is that Pyke will play, (and Everitt will miss out this week), with the forward set up staying White and Reid for most of the playing time as the focus, with all the run and rotations in the forwards still happening, that the large ground indicates.

nomae
8th April 2011, 10:48 AM
Why oh why is Bevan listed at back pocket?

Nich
8th April 2011, 10:49 AM
West Coast look pretty tall across the ground. I haven't seen any of their games this year but do they have much run?? If Rohan/Jets/Hanners/Rhyce get some skates on this week ill be rapt. Hopefully Hanners runs some of them into the ground on the outside. They can't match up on all our key players surely so hopefully we cause some serious havoc spreading the ball around.

Jets and Rohan need to get involved this week. I know they get taught to stick to a game plan and sometimes possessions don't roll your way but I think the match-ups this week will allow for them both to be very influential if they show some hunger.

Can't wait for the game. Weekends have become instantly more exciting again. Love it.

Triple B
8th April 2011, 10:53 AM

So the team can have a chuckle at the indignation on RWO.

Seriously, the way the team is listed in the paper is totally irrelevant, don't even give it a second thought.

wolftone57
8th April 2011, 10:57 AM
I think Pyke has to play and Everitt was wasteful and didn't play that well last week. Good luck to AJ I also look forward to seeing Lamb & Parker. But everyone for their different roles & this bloke will play on a key forward. He is being groomed for Fullback & he will eventually fill that role. There is no use Horse saying that the specialist Forward is dead & everyone has to be totally versatile. No-one believes it & while we are creating versatility in our list we are still looking to certain players to play particular roles in the future ie; Key Positions. All year all the talk has been will Braddy get up for a game? If as Horse says specialist forwards are dead then why so much emphasis on getting Braddy & then on his fitness, why not delist him if he didn't fit with the mould. Every side has both tall & small specialist forwards & defenders, I'd hate to go into a game with young jetta suddenly playing Fullback

Hartijon
8th April 2011, 11:20 AM
So the team can have a chuckle at the indignation on RWO.

Seriously, the way the team is listed in the paper is totally irrelevant, don't even give it a second thought.

100% correct. I would expect the new AJ to get a run in the backline as he was selected on his suitability for a big running game on a huge ground.
Jetta was lucky to keep his place given his performance last week but on his "home ground" with his family watching has every chance to redeem himself .A sensible selection to give him that chance.
One ruckman or two? I fear like many on here that we will injure Mummy through over work if we keep picking one ruckman and White is not too good as a ruckman.It would be ok if we could give him 10 minutes rest per quarter using Teddy in the backlines,White in the forwards to take the ruck work and play defensive at the stoppages roving off WCE's taps.Thats always Plan B if your ruckman breaks down.
When we dominate in ruck watch the opposition followers steal our taps!! It can be done but on field play is where it comes unstuck.

Keeping Reid up front all the time while White moves around is essential both for the midfield to have a reliable target they know will be there and to give the lad confidence.
I expect the little Gopher to pop up as a target often.
We should win but it will be close as WCE are playing with passion. On paper we are the better team.

Scottee
8th April 2011, 11:44 AM
Seriously couldn't quite believe it when I saw that we were going to go into this game without a second specialist ruckman.I can just see SuperTed trying to match it with NickNat and being totally out-monstered with perfect delivery from a comparatively fresh Cox who is able to leave behind a tiring Mummy. I just don't think that White has the endurance for this ground to provide support to the Mummy.And what help he can give will be countered by the fact that he could at least keep Glass busy at full forward if he didn't have to ruck.
I actually think that there must be a fitness doubt about someone (say Grundy) and in actual fact Pyke (who is well suited to this ground) will line up in the side. This would also account for Johnson's inclusion.

CJK
8th April 2011, 11:52 AM
2 ruckmen please Horse.

Seriously.

aardvark
8th April 2011, 12:08 PM
I actually think that there must be a fitness doubt about someone (say Grundy) and in actual fact Pyke (who is well suited to this ground) will line up in the side. This would also account for Johnson's inclusion.

Maybe Reids shoulder is playing up.....only guessing

Peace
8th April 2011, 12:44 PM
I expect the little Gopher to pop up as a target often.

Agreed, he should find a lot of space to creep into on that ground.

Untamed Snark
8th April 2011, 01:23 PM
2 ruckmen please Horse.

Seriously.

I second the motion.

swansrule100
8th April 2011, 01:38 PM
why pick a second ruck for the sake of it? pyke wont match either of them seaby probably wont either, i dont think they give much more than white as a second ruck in terms of stopping cox or nic nat.

Go Swannies
8th April 2011, 01:56 PM
why pick a second ruck for the sake of it? pyke wont match either of them seaby probably wont either, i dont think they give much more than white as a second ruck in terms of stopping cox or nic nat.

Goodes thinks he'll be playing on Nic Nat. That should be a show!

rb4x
8th April 2011, 02:29 PM
Lamb and Meredith named in Reserves team but Pyke is not.

Primmy
8th April 2011, 02:40 PM
Lamb and Meredith named in Reserves team but Pyke is not.
Ah HA!!! Thickening of the plot!!!!

I love conspiracy stories.....and I hope Pyke gets gig, but I now have no thoughts on whose place he should take.......probably depends on the weather.

ugg
8th April 2011, 02:41 PM
No LRT though.

Nich
8th April 2011, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=Primmy;523648]Ah HA!!! Thickening of the plot!!!!

Gooedsy coming out and talking up a role on NicNat seems to promote the idea that are building it all up for a bait and switch!!! However, I don't think that's the case. I call no changes!

Nico
8th April 2011, 03:24 PM

What about the age old strategy of sharking the opposition's hitouts. If your mids are good enough to do this then you don't need a second specialist ruck. White only needs to make a contest.

Nich
8th April 2011, 03:25 PM
What about the age old strategy of sharking the opposition's hitouts. If your mids are good enough to do this then you don't need a second specialist ruck. White only needs to make a contest.

Agreed. And I think our Mids can cover it.

However, Cox and NicNat get down front a bit and NicNat especially has some toe as well. We'll need to make sure we can cover that off if we only have the Mids sharking the hitouts.

Doctor
8th April 2011, 03:40 PM
Pyke's gonna play. I can feel it in me waters.

chalbilto
8th April 2011, 04:37 PM
Johnson must be highly rated to come in at Round 3, as it is not done very often at our club.

Wouldn't have happend if Roosy was still in charge. He said on the OTC that he doesn't believe in giving young players a game in the firsts for the sake of it. He said that they have to earn the right for promotion.

Last week he as also listed in the back pocket but fortunately he played (and I might add surprisingly well) up front. Let's hope the same things happens this week-end.

Peace
8th April 2011, 04:46 PM
I want to see Goodes sharking all NicNat's taps :D

DST
8th April 2011, 05:12 PM

The club does not select those teams, it's the paper.

All the club does is give the AFL a list of 22 players and 3 emergencies, the junior editor then has some fun putting players where they think they play.

DST

Triple B
8th April 2011, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't have happend if Roosy was still in charge. He said on the OTC that he doesn't believe in giving young players a game in the firsts for the sake of it. He said that they have to earn the right for promotion.

What makes you think that AJ hasn't earnt the right??

liz
8th April 2011, 07:00 PM

I don't think that a player making his debut in round 3 of his first season equates to him being given a game - it almost certainly means that the coaching staff think he has earned it. I think there is a bit of a myth about Roos not playing players early in their careers. In 2005-7 we had a pretty strong and durable senior group of players, which made it hard for youngsters to break into the team. But a decent number of players have debuted in their first season - like Rohan, Reid, Jetta, Bird, Veszpremi, Phillips. Bird played in round 1 of his first season.

Nich
8th April 2011, 08:26 PM
Jude stated that 'the kid can play'. That's a good enough wrap for me. The staff talk about him in high regard so throw him in. Surely it will only make him better. LRT ain't around, Bolts ain't around. Tadhg, Mal are out. Spangher is injured as well. I say throw him out there!

Hartijon
9th April 2011, 11:30 AM

I agree and mentioned the same in an earlier post. Played a whole season doing this once. Field play then becomes a problem if your ruckman ,who is purposely beaten for the knock every time,cannot play like a defender on the oppositions ruck as he runs around the field.Another good ploy is to have the two ruckmen wrestling at throw ins and have a 3rd player go over the top to punch it to advantage.To get 50% return is considered a win and the other 50% of attacks come from the backline.

Hartijon
9th April 2011, 11:37 AM
I don't think that a player making his debut in round 3 of his first season equates to him being given a game - it almost certainly means that the coaching staff think he has earned it. I think there is a bit of a myth about Roos not playing players early in their careers. In 2005-7 we had a pretty strong and durable senior group of players, which made it hard for youngsters to break into the team. But a decent number of players have debuted in their first season - like Rohan, Reid, Jetta, Bird, Veszpremi, Phillips. Bird played in round 1 of his first season.

Good point Liz but my memory seems to remember the kids coming in when injuries struck rather than forcing their way in.Also I remember debuts in the worse possible ways like Skilled Stadium on a wet day.Subiaco is a great place to debut for a kid,plenty of space(usually) dry ground and a bonding experience on the long flight.In Round 3 the kids are still full of enthusiasm rather than fatalistic.

Primmy
9th April 2011, 01:17 PM
What makes you think that AJ hasn't earnt the right??

Exactamont!!!!! I hope he doesn't get noives, but the Watchers already have noted just how he goes, and we are not horrified he has been called in. Hope you get to see why we aren't.