PDA

View Full Version : Don't complain about a lack of......

goswannie14
11th April 2011, 12:57 PM
Atmosphere at Homebush until you have been to a game at Skilled Stadium.

I went to see Geelong and Port on Sunday (Daughter grew up in Adelaide and is a Port supporter). It was the worst atmosphere I have ever heard/seen felt at a game in the last 40 years. Yes, Geelong thrashed Port, but even in the first quarter, the cheering after a goal subsided after about 15 seconds. There was little or no barracking around us (in the GA stand at the southern end near both cheersquads) until the last 10 minutes.

All in all the atmosphere was non-existant.....absolutely appalling given it was almost a full house (22,400).

Nico
11th April 2011, 06:42 PM
Atmosphere at Homebush until you have been to a game at Skilled Stadium.

I went to see Geelong and Port on Sunday (Daughter grew up in Adelaide and is a Port supporter). It was the worst atmosphere I have ever heard/seen felt at a game in the last 40 years. Yes, Geelong thrashed Port, but even in the first quarter, the cheering after a goal subsided after about 15 seconds. There was little or no barracking around us (in the GA stand at the southern end near both cheersquads) until the last 10 minutes.

All in all the atmosphere was non-existant.....absolutely appalling given it was almost a full house (22,400).

That's because it is all one sided as far as the supporters of each team goes. The crowd is stacked with Geelong supporters who rarely see their side challenged mainly because they are playing interstate sides who are very disadvantaged by playing there every year. They are a genuinely boring mob who only get vocal when their team is behind and go nuts if the opposition team get a free. It is without doubt the greatest indictment on the draw that sides such as Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon never play there. 22,000 is a very small full house. As far as I am concerned they should bulldoze what is a sub standard ground. For goodness sake they dont have wings. It started as a rectangular ground and they decided to make the 4 corners a little bit round. Visiting supporters have to pay inflated prices for seats for the few available and the rest who want/have to stand are herded into a corner at one end of the shizenhole.