PDA

View Full Version : Moore the missing ingredient !

Auntie.Gerald
11th April 2011, 09:36 PM
I used to get annoyed hearing how important Jared Moore was for the Swans forward line organisation.

Has he been the missing link as we have got the ball into our 50 plenty enough to put the game beyond doubt the last 3 weeks havent we ?

:cool:

mcs
11th April 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure there is such a 'missing' link at the moment, its more simple than that... too many clangers, wasted possessions and easy turnovers. I have a lot of time for Moore, and I think he is in our best 22, but I think if we solve the more fundamental skill errors (or at least improve, and I think we were better against Wet Coke then we were against the Bombers) then I think the rest of the game plan will fall in to place. We are already under pressure down back due to the injuries and what not and heaping extra pressure on those guys is really not helping our defenders! I do think we are well on the right track, and if we can hold our form up over the next 6 weeks and win most of them, then we are a real shot at top 4. Whether we are genuinely ready to challenge for the flag this year I'm not so sure, but we are well and truly on the right track.

India'sDad
11th April 2011, 11:29 PM
Moore didn't work hard enough as a pressing forward in 2010. Bevo works hard but doesn't have the consistency. It is one or the other - Bevo still owned a few more games as repayment for being dropped in last year's finals...

Moore is a little too much like Buchanan or Nog - neither of them had quite enough commitment, work rate or skill in combination. I'd like Moore to prove me wrong - but he's not in my best 21 - possibly the sub though.

Too early for the Longmire strategy to emerge on how long people have in the team to prove themselves if they're not in the guaranteed category - but single games for Seabs, Uncle & Meredith doesn't send the best message - unless teams are fine tuned specifically for a given opponent and/or ground which isn't really the AFL way. If that was the case for use it would have been Pyke/Seabs against Weagles. If you pick a bloke but don't have the confidence they'll be there for more than one game pick someone who you think will.

AnnieH
11th April 2011, 11:47 PM
In my opinion, "collectively" our basic skills are letting us down.

Most seem to be having a shocker at a different time.

Yes, I know it's "only" round 3, but it's time to pull your socks up Cardiac Kids and man up (for starters). When the crims were kicking goals (and we weren't) how many times did the commentators say "who is on (insert forward name), and where are they".

Far, far, far too many hand passes into oncoming traffic, kicking the ball before you have a quick look to see what's ahead, not being able to get the ball "comfortably" out of the halfback line after a behind, "everyone" jumping up to pull down a "screamer" - while there's NO-ONE standing back to even try to pick up the crumbs.

The list is as long as my arm!

mcs
12th April 2011, 12:04 AM
In my opinion, "collectively" our basic skills are letting us down.

Most seem to be having a shocker at a different time.

Yes, I know it's "only" round 3, but it's time to pull your socks up Cardiac Kids and man up (for starters). When the crims were kicking goals (and we weren't) how many times did the commentators say "who is on (insert forward name), and where are they".

Far, far, far too many hand passes into oncoming traffic, kicking the ball before you have a quick look to see what's ahead, not being able to get the ball "comfortably" out of the halfback line after a behind, "everyone" jumping up to pull down a "screamer" - while there's NO-ONE standing back to even try to pick up the crumbs.

The list is as long as my arm!

True Annie but I've seen improvement from the Dees game to the Bombers game and then the Eagles game... slow progress none the less but it is there. Our disposal will need to be significantly better against Geelong. BUT (and its a bit but at the moment) if we can improve our disposals and decision making significantly then I think we are going to be right in there with a great chance at Top 4. We have a very fine team in the making, it just needs some spit and polish at the moment!

ScottH
12th April 2011, 08:43 AM
Moore would probably make a good Sub.
Has the skill, but not the tank.

Go Swannies
12th April 2011, 09:15 AM
I'll wait to see how Moore comes back. If he adds some structure to our forwards then he's welcome. He's like Bird - I forget why they are there until I notice how they play. Bird was good on the weekend and gave us some good ball use.

Annie is so right. We have played three teams that have more fluidity than us but less grunt. When Pebbles starts hitting targets then we'll have that five goal buffer. Let's hope it's at our real home against the Cats. I'd love to see them lose there again - bogey ground indeed. Anyone still have the "Nick Davis - Come to Save Us" sign?

Triple B
12th April 2011, 09:40 AM
Moore would probably make a good Sub.
Has the skill, but not the tank.

I'm not sold on Moore as a sub.

Just about all the subs who have come on and made a difference have something in common, pace and explosiveness. When the game is slowing down towards the end, that P&E is accentuated even more, to the point they frequently star in the last quarter.

Bulldog is more likely to be subbed, than sub.

Hartijon
12th April 2011, 09:49 AM
I agree that its the basic skills letting us down rather than "structure" which is a general way of describing where players stand and run to and kick to.If ROK would kick to our guys rather than theirs the scoreline would improve dramatically.Similarly if a forward lead 10 metres in the clear was hit with a pass from the backlines the score would improve dramatically.Grundy has been terrible with disposal.
The other skill sadly lacking is the quick pass(Malceski style) .So often the pass has been slow looping upwards and perfectly set up for a defenders spoil.Players need to learn to lean back on a pass and drill it low and fast chest high.We are winning with a huge amount of improvement still needed but I would not say the Forward lines needs better structure,just better delivery through better skills.

ScottH
12th April 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm not sold on Moore as a sub.

Just about all the subs who have come on and made a difference have something in common, pace and explosiveness. When the game is slowing down towards the end, that P&E is accentuated even more, to the point they frequently star in the last quarter.

Bulldog is more likely to be subbed, than sub.

Fair comment.
I think I actually made the "subbed" comment elsewhere about Moore.

Nich
12th April 2011, 11:15 AM
If ROK would kick to our guys rather than theirs the scoreline would improve dramatically.

Ain't that the truth. 12 point turnarounds. We'd be winning by 50 kicking true!