PDA

View Full Version : Changes for round 6: Teams named

ernie koala
18th April 2011, 10:58 AM
With Horse suggesting both Moore and Kennelly will be back in the seniors next round (provided they get through training). Who misses out?
One things for sure, it won't be Bevo.
Candidates would include.. Kennelly in for either:
Everitt ( has given 1 good quarter in 4 rounds...and that was as a forward)
Johnson ( looks a solid prospect but very much in development phase)

Moore in for: not sure who? he's slow, carlton are quick.

Others pushing for selection..Pyke, Seaby and TDL.
I think it will take another loss or 2 before these guys get a run.

McVeigh won't be dropped but should be looked at closely, his form is poor.

Rohan (with 2 rounds as a sub and a bye) needs game time, so perhaps he swaps with someone like Jetta

aardvark
18th April 2011, 11:58 AM
How about Pyke in for White, Kennelly for Everitt, Moore for Bevan and LRT for Johnson.

Hartijon
18th April 2011, 12:17 PM
How about Pyke in for White, Kennelly for Everitt, Moore for Bevan and LRT for Johnson.

Ah,the luxury of good reserves.Any number of combination changes possible.Here are but a few

LJ to debut , Reid to have a rest and reflect just for a couple of weeks

Pyke in White out, straight swap,Mike has earned this and so has Jesse

Parker to debut Jetta to have a rest in reserves and refect on 100% efforts all the time in seniors

LRT in, Johnson out

Tiger in, Everitt out

Moore in ?? ROK out??? ouch! hate this one! ROK is a legend but how long can we carry hom and tolerate his turnovers to the opposition.

Then there are TDL and Rohan to fit in somewhere.TDL for Bevan? Harsh but he stuffs up less and kicks as many if not more goals.

Rohan for Bird?

Literally an embarassment of Riches. Who would want to be a selector

Plugger46
18th April 2011, 12:42 PM
I definitely wouldn't be dropping Jesse. Atrocious conditions for a key forward and pinch hitting ruckman. Played alright against Essendon and West Coast - don't think he gets anything out of kicking a bag in the reserves anymore.

As for McVeigh, O'Keefe etc getting dropped?? Not a chance. One is a captain, the other's had a couple of poor games. We're not good enough to leave players of their quality of the team.

aardvark
18th April 2011, 01:00 PM
I definitely wouldn't be dropping Jesse. Atrocious conditions for a key forward and pinch hitting ruckman. don't think he gets anything out of kicking a bag in the reserves anymore..

Conditions didn't bother Podsiadly. Key forwards take marks, Jesse doesn't. With White every week is a different excuse. Play him for the rest of the year in the ressies at full back and he may turn into something decent for 2012. Otherwise GWS here we come.

Plugger46
18th April 2011, 01:15 PM
Conditions didn't bother Podsiadly. Key forwards take marks, Jesse doesn't. With White every week is a different excuse. Play him for the rest of the year in the ressies at full back and he may turn into something decent for 2012. Otherwise GWS here we come.

Geelong had forwards in their half of the ground and their midfield used it well. We didn't.

It's not a different excuse every week at all. If he's still producing what he is now in 2 years then we have a problem but Saturday night aside, I think he's been playing his role OK.

GongSwan
18th April 2011, 01:33 PM
I've said this b4 but one of the current difficulties in our backline is the lack of talls and hard bodies, on that basis I'd move white down back to play on a tall, probably at everitt's expense. Jesse wants to be a forward let him play on some good ones and see how they do it. Put Seaby in the foward line, he played on a wing a fair bit for the weagles and should work ok out of the goal square, play goodes at CHF or midfield, if he's a forward, then put reid back in the resies for a while. TDL needs another year to put on a bit more size, moore would add some experience, but I would play kennnely now, and they will, to give us more run off half back. wet games I wouldn't play Jetta, he's there for speed, sogiven different circumstances, you could swap him and moore, but overall I think we have 11 of our best 22 with less than 50 games and it may take another year or 2 for them to really gel, of course by then we will be looking for hard bodies to replace Jude, and maybe even Goodes, so getting games into the young guysa is very important or we will slide. We'll lose a few games to more experienced sides, so what, Collingwood might go thru the year undefeated this year and barring massive injuries, who's going to beat them come finals time

andyn
18th April 2011, 01:51 PM
I had a reality check in the bathrooms under the ladies stand at three quarter time on Sat night ... ha ha ... that sounds really bad! Anyway, I just thought about our team vs the Cats. I looked at the players they still have. then I thought about our team full of first or second year players, or players recycled from other teams who didn't give them a game. It would have been a super human effort for us to run over the cats on Saturday night. Most clubs wouldn't have done it. It's to the Swans credit that we all believe that they are capable and feel annoyed that they didn't! Yes, without stupid mistakes we would have been in the game and mistakes are inexcusable, but we don't need to go nuts dropping players especially considering we've had a reasonable start to the year.

Hartijon
18th April 2011, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Plugger46;525150]. Played alright against Essendon and West Coast

With Jesse I agree but the word "alright" says it all.When he is good he is alright. He does not reach what potential his body size and height should give him.Reid a younger player has excited much more. Reid might have got us over the line against Geelong if he had better execution skills in the wet. Jesse was never going to explode yet we argue that Geelong's success was that they had big bodies over the ball . I really think its time to give Mike a go. He was BOG in the reserves,kicked 4 goals and can actually ruck very well. Although playing reserves will not do much for Jesse ,he needs to inject something special into his game,maybe as so many are suggesting,reinvent himself as a defender.It worked ok for Reg.

BSA5
18th April 2011, 02:01 PM
Ah,the luxury of good reserves.Any number of combination changes possible.Here are but a few

LJ to debut , Reid to have a rest and reflect just for a couple of weeks

Pyke in White out, straight swap,Mike has earned this and so has Jesse

Parker to debut Jetta to have a rest in reserves and refect on 100% efforts all the time in seniors

LRT in, Johnson out

Tiger in, Everitt out

Moore in ?? ROK out??? ouch! hate this one! ROK is a legend but how long can we carry hom and tolerate his turnovers to the opposition.

Then there are TDL and Rohan to fit in somewhere.TDL for Bevan? Harsh but he stuffs up less and kicks as many if not more goals.

Rohan for Bird?

Literally an embarassment of Riches. Who would want to be a selector

LJ has been playing in defence, so a swap with Reid wouldn't happen.

ROK's disposal has been up and down, but he gives us much needed drive out of the middle, and can actually take a mark when up forward. No way does he go.

TDL for Bevan could work, but it's not like-for-like. I'd like to see both in the forwardline if possible.

Rohan for Bird? You crazy? Bird is a better player than Rohan, and Rohan is more suited to the sub position, being an impact player.

ernie koala
18th April 2011, 02:25 PM
Bird is a better player than Rohan, and Rohan is more suited to the sub position, being an impact player.

I agree with you Re: Bird. But I think the role of sub is becoming more critical, and therefore puts more pressure on the sub (particually if it's a close game) to be the difference.
That role needs to be shared around with more experienced players. You want the subs to use their legs and freshness, but you also want them to play smart and get to the critical contests, not every contest.
Also, I think to play any young player, as sub, week in week out, won't help their overall development, IMO.

I'm also in the camp that thinks White should be tried as a defender. He appears to have all the tools physically. He could then be used to pinch hit up forward now and again. ie To cover an injury or create a mismatch. Plenty of other defenders have done this successfully...Lake for example.

aardvark
18th April 2011, 02:26 PM
Rohan will have more impact as a player than Jetta ,White, LJ, AJ, and about 3/4 of the current team as soon as he develops the fitness to run out a game. That's not going to happen if he plays a quarter a week. We persist with players that are never going to be any good eg White and don't put miles into the players that really need it.

stellation
18th April 2011, 03:18 PM
aardvark, I'm starting to get the feeling you don't really like Jesse.

blinddog
18th April 2011, 03:48 PM
How about TDL for Reid (give Reid a break - maybe swap between them depending on conditions), Kennelly for Everitt, Moore as sub and Rohan for Jetta

aardvark
18th April 2011, 04:12 PM
aardvark, I'm starting to get the feeling you don't really like Jesse.
What gave you that impression.:D
I was a huge fan when he first came on the scene but he just hasn't improved. He's really a half forward flanker in the wrong body. It frustrates me that the selectors persist in trying to make a KP Forward or Ruckman out of him when its obvious it will never happen. Especially when there are other players like Pykey or Seaby that would do a better job in his role IMO.

Promise I won't mention him again for at least a week.

Nich
18th April 2011, 04:20 PM
Rohan will have more impact as a player than Jetta ,White, LJ, AJ, and about 3/4 of the current team as soon as he develops the fitness to run out a game. That's not going to happen if he plays a quarter a week. We persist with players that are never going to be any good eg White and don't put miles into the players that really need it.

You're right - Rohan is offering more than Jetta right now, no doubt. Gary seems to still cramp up at the end of games though (against Essendon), so he's the type to be subbed off at the moment as I don't think he has the legs to run out a game yet. In saying that he probably needs game time so he can get used to that as you say. Rohan/Jetta as sub would be a great mix up for Round 6. You can just see that with more time in a wing/forward role the better he will get. Plenty of time though. He's still young. Ultimately I think he should get as much time as they can give him. Massive improvement awaits I'm sure.

gossipcom
18th April 2011, 04:51 PM
Definitely need to bring in either Pyke or Seaby regardless of how quick Carlton are, they've got some good ruckman and we need to give Mummy a rest. Because the way he's going he'll burn out or get injured before mid-season.

Also apart from the ones everyone have mentioned, IMO Rohan needs to be in the team and not as a sub in the next game.

swansrob
18th April 2011, 05:15 PM
Definitely need to bring in either Pyke or Seaby regardless of how quick Carlton are, they've got some good ruckman and we need to give Mummy a rest. Because the way he's going he'll burn out or get injured before mid-season.

Also apart from the ones everyone have mentioned, IMO Rohan needs to be in the team and not as a sub in the next game.

This ^
Maybe sub Rohan off around 3/4 time if he's getting tired, given the fact he hasn't been given the opportunity to gain any real match fitness the last couple of weeks, but he should be in the starting 21. Also agree it's time to bring in Pyke or Seaby. Sounds like Pyke dominated in the ressies last week, so he should get the call up; though I don't know who misses to accommodate that.
I would bring Kennelly in for Everitt; Kennelly is fit and I think Everitt needs to show more. Speaking of Moore (see what I did there), I would also like to see him and TDL back out on the park, but like with the ruck situation, I don't know who to drop to make it happen. White and Reid need to keep their spots I think - they're both showing glimpses, we just need something to click in them and both could be very impressive.

Slade
18th April 2011, 05:19 PM
Here are my thoughts for my first post.

The selectors will not be changing too many things and will also look at the opposition to determine who comes in and who goes.

Firstly those who won't be going are
Mummy - Huge ticker for a big man, love his enthusiasm.
McGlynn - Works extremely hard, is a gun of a player.
Kennedy - Second to none in getting the hard ball out of the packs.
Teddy - His defense and reading of the game has improved significanly over the last year.
Grundy - His disposal has been bad but he is a great defender.
Bolton - The first three games were exceptional.
Mattner - Having his best year with us.
Goodes - Was quieter on the weekend but is still our only player who can tear a game apart.
Smith - Supurb defender and quick. Is rarely beaten.
Bevan - His defensive work in the forward line is great and he can kick a ball well - sometimes straight, just don't put him down back.
Jack - His skill in the wet on Saturday was very good. A great outside midfielder.
Shaw - his kicking was atrocious on the weekend but his running and effort were fantastic.
Bird - has been playing well - is great in the packs and works hard otherwise.
Hanners - He is down on last year but still a significant class above anyone in the seconds.
ROK - whilst he has not played to his usual standard over the last couple of weeks it will take a few more weeks bad effort for him to be replaced. ROK's pace is lacking but he works hard and would have had a few shots of goal against West Coast if we managed to kick the ball to him.
McVeigh - He needs to spend a couple of weeks tagging. His best games from my memory are when he tags one of the oppositions best players ie Judd.
Jetta - whilst he did not play well on the weekend the conditions were the worst for a person of his ilk. He will stay in the team because of his pace against Carlton.

Those who may be looking at time in the seconds
Reid - Great mark and good athleticism but needs to improve his kicking and fitness. If it wasn't for the weeks break I think he would have been swapped but now I think he will stay.
Rohan - His best position is on the wing but he does not have the fitness for it at this stage. He is better up front rather than down back. I think he will stay because of his pace.
Johnson - His effort is undeniable and he has talent but I think he needs a rest in the twos after two tough games - He will be swapped with Kennelly.
White - whilst he has been OK, that is all he will ever be unless he learns to take regular marks and his second efforts pick up. He is a one attempt sort of person and if it does not work out then he does not try again. I think that the big Canadian is a much better person to fill his role - better ruckman, better mark and now that he has finally learnt how to kick - it is a natural swap.
Everitt - He may be the sub, coming on as a replacement forward for Reid. A better choice would be for him to be replaced by Moore who will probably do better once the pace of the game has subsided in the later stages and can bulldose the forward line.

So to summarise White, Johnson and Everitt to be swapped for Pyke, Kennelly and Moore

Go Swannies
18th April 2011, 06:15 PM
I can't wait to see what is asked from here!

Sydney Swans
Don't forget to leave your questions for this week's Ask a Swan - Paul Bevan. It could be about his two goal performance on the weekend or how the team is tackling the bye-week..Paul will answer a selection of the best questions later in the week, with his answers to be posted on sydneyswans.com.au. Visit
Ask a Swan - Paul Bevan - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/blogarticle/tabid/15462/newsid/111906/default.aspx) to leave Bevo a question.

Ask a Swan - Paul Bevan - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club
Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (www.sydneyswans.com.au)
This week's Ask a Swan is with utility Paul Bevan. Post a question to Paul in the comments section of the following article...

Scottee
18th April 2011, 06:18 PM
Pyke, Kennelly, LRT and Moore all in the running for selection, you can probably add in TDL and LJ to that list.

LRT and Kennelly are virtual certainties subject to fitness which does not auger well for AJ or AE. Pyke should play against Carlton's big ruck pair and I suggest that White could be a good impact sub.Moore is also pushing hard and TDL was superb against the Blues in the finals last year. Candidates for replacement (or should we call it rotation) are Sammy Reid, Bevan and Jetta. Can't see Sam being dropped after a refreshing break so it comes down to Bevan for Moore. In summary in: Pyke, Kennelly Lrt, Moore. Out: Johnson (and hope to see him back soon), Everitt, Bevan, Jetta. White as supersub.

TDL and LJ stiff to miss out but should be included in the next rotation.

Triple B
18th April 2011, 06:24 PM
I can't wait to see what is asked from here!

Sydney Swans
Don't forget to leave your questions for this week's Ask a Swan - Paul Bevan. It could be about his two goal performance on the weekend or how the team is tackling the bye-week..Paul will answer a selection of the best questions later in the week, with his answers to be posted on sydneyswans.com.au. Visit
Ask a Swan - Paul Bevan - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/blogarticle/tabid/15462/newsid/111906/default.aspx) to leave Bevo a question.

Ask a Swan - Paul Bevan - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (www.sydneyswans.com.au)
This week's Ask a Swan is with utility Paul Bevan. Post a question to Paul in the comments section of the following article...

I just asked "Bevo, what happened to Connolly??"

Not expecting an answer....lol

satchmopugdog
18th April 2011, 06:35 PM
I just asked "Bevo, what happened to Connolly??"

Not expecting an answer....lol

He replied, "Mum's fine thank you!"

Brettb
18th April 2011, 06:38 PM
Here are my thoughts for my first post.

Bird - has been playing well - is great in the packs and works hard otherwise.

I thought Bird was very ordinary on Sat night, granted he wasn't alone, however I would have thought the conditions would have suited him to a tee.

Nich
18th April 2011, 07:12 PM
Epic first post Slade. Agree with most of it although if Moore comes in and both Everitt and Johnson goes we are short down back. Tiger can't cover off Johnson and Everitt. One of them will have to stay I think, unless LRT is ready.

DeadlyAkkuret
18th April 2011, 08:38 PM
I can understand the frustration with Jesse. He's big and strong and has gangsta tats but he doesn't use his frame the way that he should. He's got the athleticism of Franklin and could absolutely boss any opposition if he really wanted to, but he just doesn't do it.

The one excuse I will give him is that he's being shuffled around too often and they're pretending he's something that he's not. In today's game we expect everyone to be Mr. Versatility if they're over 6'5 but maybe Jesse just isn't that versatile. Maybe he's just a forward, strange I know! He played his best football towards the end of 2009 and averaged 2 goals a game over the last 7 games, and again in 2010 once he had settled into a role with TDL he was looking good and seemed like he knew his place.

He's capable of kicking averaging 2.5 goals a game if we just keep it simple for him, which is 50 goals a year and then he'd be doing his job. I do agree he doesn't play to his potential and he does drift in and out of games, but it would be nice if the coaches said "Jesse, you're a forward and you'll be a forward every week. Forget about rucking, just kick goals."

Nico
18th April 2011, 08:46 PM
I can't have Moore. He proved the slowest and most unfit looking player in the side who, apart from the odd opportunist goal, provided no run and chase. I don't give a hoot about his so called leadership and organising on the forward line, because to be labelled as a leader by any stretch of the imagination, you need a bit more going for you than the ability to bark orders.

Hartijon
19th April 2011, 12:22 AM
I can't have Moore. He proved the slowest and most unfit looking player in the side who, apart from the odd opportunist goal, provided no run and chase. I don't give a hoot about his so called leadership and organising on the forward line, because to be labelled as a leader by any stretch of the imagination, you need a bit more going for you than the ability to bark orders.

I agree.As a forward, TDL and /or Bevan give us more(no pun intended). Midfield I would rather trial young Parker as part of a policy to get game time into the next generation.I can't see Moore winning us a flag but the youngsters could.

Kirkari
20th April 2011, 06:31 PM

Agree. Mummy is outstanding but he's only human (we think). And didn't he have two knee ops in the off season?

Also agree re The Tang - becoming the permanent sub is a terrible reward for having a fantastic impact in that role. Surely everyone still wants to be in the starting 21.

Lucky Knickers
20th April 2011, 08:57 PM
Is Mummy injured? If no, of course you play the Mummy.
The guy is a machine and thrives on the contest. He is smashing it, week in week out, is able to run out the games against his opponents, kick goals, crumb, tackle.

Drop him? We need to win games to make finals and we need our best team on the park.

BSA5
20th April 2011, 11:48 PM
I thought Bird was very ordinary on Sat night, granted he wasn't alone, however I would have thought the conditions would have suited him to a tee.

Gee, really? He comprehensively beat an in-form James Kelly, and had some really nice touches in the middle. He had a clear win against a very experienced and underrated oppoenent.

Bleed Red Blood
21st April 2011, 12:39 AM
Midfield I would rather trial young Parker as part of a policy to get game time into the next generation.I can't see Moore winning us a flag but the youngsters could.

Moore has just turned 25, if he comes good he's got sevenish years in him. you need good late 20's guys in a team just as much as gun 23 years old to win a cup. I think he deserves a chance, but I really hope they give him a chance to get really fit and feeling good before they bring him in; i hope that when he's in we can judge him properly and not worry that he was limited by his aerobic capacity, as i think he does a lot of really good work when he does get the pill. Get him in the middle, he'll break a game apart one of these days I reckon.

Also I think if there was to be any 'next generation policy' introduced I would be looking at Shaw straight away. I know he has his fans, yes he tries hard, but he just doesn't do anything Sumner could, or perhaps LJ but probably AE would have to go out, or we'd be too tall back there.

Also I agree with the get Pyke in the team call.

Auntie.Gerald
21st April 2011, 07:54 AM
I think TDL is still a walk in

Kennelly in for Everitt

TDL in for > not sure . very tough call

royboy42
21st April 2011, 01:27 PM
Gee, really? He comprehensively beat an in-form James Kelly, and had some really nice touches in the middle. He had a clear win against a very experienced and underrated oppoenent.

Could not agree more..people seem to underestimate the stoppers in our game. And that's what Bird's role was on Sat night. And to get more touches than Kelly was an absolute bonus. He's a good 'un.

Kirkari
21st April 2011, 02:17 PM
Is Mummy injured? If no, of course you play the Mummy.

Didn't mean drop him! But bring in Pykey for White and share the load a bit.

Tooth Fairy
21st April 2011, 04:14 PM
ROK's disposal has been up and down, but he gives us much needed drive out of the middle, and can actually take a mark when up forward. No way does he go.

He's taken 9 marks in 4 games. 6 of those were against just Melbourne. I guess that's pretty good overall

21st April 2011, 06:37 PM
Pyke in is a must, got to have 100% at the ruck contests and Pyke gives us that, White isn't a good ruckman. If that means White out then so be it.

Kennelly in for Johnson or Everitt, I think they will persist with Everitt but maybe forward or substitute.

Think Rohan has to be in the 21

Can't see the value in Moore against a quick side like Carlton regardless of his supposed generaling of the fwd line. I still reckon his lack of pace cost us a win in the Prelim last year.

Peace
21st April 2011, 08:17 PM
I'd like to make a change to the weather for the next game, these are the changes i would like to see.

In: Clear, calm skies
Out: RAIN & WIND

RogueSwan
21st April 2011, 10:32 PM
... I still reckon his lack of pace cost us a win in the Prelim last year.

Nah, dropping Bevo cost us the Semi last year.

ScottH
23rd April 2011, 11:51 PM
Given tonights game, and the fact we have a 2 week break and should have very fresh legs next week, we must be a huge chance to run over the Blues.
They were all out on there feet after the close encounter withe the crows. The also had the draw with the bombers a week ago and a tough game against the pies.
Surely we can beat them by a good margin next Friday.

ugg
24th April 2011, 01:20 AM
I think the stats show that the team with the bye loses more often than it wins in the following week.

Auntie.Gerald
24th April 2011, 08:38 AM
Given tonights game, and the fact we have a 2 week break and should have very fresh legs next week, we must be a huge chance to run over the Blues.
They were all out on there feet after the close encounter withe the crows. The also had the draw with the bombers a week ago and a tough game against the pies.
Surely we can beat them by a good margin next Friday.

Scott I personally think when you are out on your feet after a big clash coaches these days know how to mitigate training runs during the week to have the side fresh as a daisy come the next next weekend. For me just because a team has had some tough battles doesnt provide an indicator that they will be heavy legged a few weeks later

When I played I found that I never actually wanted to miss a week because the base was continually building through the season..........It was rare that you felt like you peaked.

I hope you are right though :)

swansrule100
24th April 2011, 08:09 PM
discussing team selection is when i most wish we had a reserves comp in the afl, its frustrating when you try to think of who you want to see in and have next to no idea how they are going for the year.

Depending on fitness LRT and moore have to come back in. Im not so worried about the ruck v carlton, i think warnock and hampson wont trouble mummy. I would like to see a better forward structure, more so than any player changes, i know a wet night didnt help, but we lacked a forward set up v the cats.

Swanner
24th April 2011, 08:49 PM
discussing team selection is when i most wish we had a reserves comp in the afl, its frustrating when you try to think of who you want to see in and have next to no idea how they are going for the year.

Depending on fitness LRT and moore have to come back in. Im not so worried about the ruck v carlton, i think warnock and hampson wont trouble mummy. I would like to see a better forward structure, more so than any player changes, i know a wet night didnt help, but we lacked a forward set up v the cats.

it was very strange to see us two goals down, ball in hand, and no player pass the middle of the ground. this was the most serious 'error' we made all night. it meant if they tried to run and create off the backline when they had moved the ball 20 to 30 metres and were looking to kick the ball to a forward they could only kick to player running away from them towards goa.l in other words a lottery. so instead players kicked early to a contest on the boundary, which the cats spoiled.

sharp9
24th April 2011, 09:08 PM
It's all academic...someone can check the stats, but I am pretty sure we have NEVER won after having a bye...no reason why that will change after Carlton get a rocket up their backside this week at training. Either our disposal improves radically or we lose, IMO. Cab't see any reason why our disposal would improve after 4 games in a row showing just where we are with that. Then again I have actually seen us be good over the years...so it COULD happen :-)

liz
24th April 2011, 10:14 PM
It's all academic...someone can check the stats, but I am pretty sure we have NEVER won after having a bye...no reason why that will change after Carlton get a rocket up their backside this week at training. Either our disposal improves radically or we lose, IMO. Cab't see any reason why our disposal would improve after 4 games in a row showing just where we are with that. Then again I have actually seen us be good over the years...so it COULD happen :-)

Not a bye, as such, but we won the 2006 PF after having a week off. And the 1996 one too. And if you're looking for history to dictate outcomes, Carlton haven't won in Sydney since 1993.

DeadlyAkkuret
25th April 2011, 01:23 AM
Weather will be wet again.

*sigh*

BSA5
25th April 2011, 02:27 AM
I think the fact that in recent times we've always played COLLINGWOOD after our bye might have something to do with our poor record....

sharp9
25th April 2011, 12:21 PM
I think the fact that in recent times we've always played COLLINGWOOD after our bye might have something to do with our poor record....
Hehe...I know but I was trying to conveniently ignore that!

I think the last time we beat a half decent team in the wet was an EF against the Eagles in 2004.

Always remember the nightmares of playing teams like Essendon in the wet when Sir James would just waltz around spinning the ball on his fingertips and kicking them over his shoulder...no problem.

Yet still ignorant commentators say things like "the wet will suit Sydney with their lockdown game plan." The thing that really shocks me is that our players are not intelligent enough to change their play at all to suit the conditions...I'm not asking you to be Paul Chapman, but pick it up carefully and kick the @#$% out of it to a contest....how hard can it be?

Kirkari
25th April 2011, 12:49 PM
Since it's supposed to be wet all week, we should have a chance to practice in the conditions. Or at least figure out which boots to wear...

Captain
25th April 2011, 01:15 PM
In: Kennelly, TDL, Pyke
Out: Johnson, Everitt, White

ScottH
25th April 2011, 09:13 PM
Pyke or Seaby could be an in this week.

SYDNEY coach John Longmire is planning to unleash a three-headed rucking monster this season, and it could emerge as early as against Carlton at the SCG on Friday night.

Longmire said he would play spearhead Jesse White alongside ruckmen Shane Mumford and either Mark Seaby or Mike Pyke together at some stage this season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tall-order-for-sydney-swans/story-e6frf9jf-1226044638673

ScottH
25th April 2011, 09:15 PM
Also

Kennelly is one of several players potentially pushing for promotion to a side that lost their unbeaten record with a last start loss to Geelong.

Forwards Jarred Moore and Trent Dennis-Lane and ruckmen Mark Seaby and Mike Pyke are other players whose form in the reserves will demand the match committee's consideration.

Kennelly almost ready for Sydney Swans (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/kennelly-almost-ready-for-sydney-swans-20110425-1dtwx.html)

Bas
25th April 2011, 09:29 PM
Unleash a rucking monster?

It's Rd 6. Has taken his time then why would you do it after a week of rain?

aardvark
26th April 2011, 12:44 AM
Unleash a rucking monster?

It's Rd 6. Has taken his time then why would you do it after a week of rain?

Sounds like a smokescreen to me......White must be dating his daughter if he gets a game after last weeks stellar effort.

Hartijon
26th April 2011, 06:13 AM
Sounds like a smokescreen to me......White must be dating his daughter if he gets a game after last weeks stellar effort.
Have you forgotten already? Conditions didn't suit him! Podsiadly on the other hand was suited by the conditions????As you jokingly say,the guy has got something going for him.
My patience is now wafer thin.I would like to see Mike Pyke trialled as a direct swap for White.I think he can mark better,would compete for the whole game and ruck better.The downside with Mike would be having the "football smarts" ,a factor that White would have considerably more of.If white is given another game he better explode and kick a bag.

Scottee
26th April 2011, 10:55 AM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tall-order-for-sydney-swans/story-e6frf9jf-1226044638673

Also from that article: "Speedster Gary Rohan may miss the contest after playing just 78 minutes in the past three weeks.He could be given some game time in the reserves this week."

This is mismanagement IMHO. This guy is crucial to us and a much better wet weather player than Jetta. There is no need for him to be missing this game other than because of lack of foresight.

ugg
26th April 2011, 05:11 PM
AJ out with a hammy, conveniently providing a spot for Mr. Kennelly

Injury list - Johnson out with hammy - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/112396/default.aspx)

longmile
26th April 2011, 06:06 PM
Is Reid for Trent Dennis-Lane a viable substitution?
I think TDL is our great goal sneak, and is much needed in the team at the moment, especially last week against Geelong, when our forward line looked stale.

Nico
26th April 2011, 09:54 PM
Also from that article: "Speedster Gary Rohan may miss the contest after playing just 78 minutes in the past three weeks.He could be given some game time in the reserves this week."

This is mismanagement IMHO. This guy is crucial to us and a much better wet weather player than Jetta. There is no need for him to be missing this game other than because of lack of foresight.

Correct. One week off the bench is OK but 2 weeks? He should be in the side to develop him as a footballer. Keep stuffing him around and it is a sure fire way of him wanting to go elsewhere.

Nico
26th April 2011, 10:01 PM

3 headed rucking monster! Nothing new as Essendon are already in that mode. So week one we go with Seaby as the sub and the coach gets slammed. Last 2 weeks we have Rohan as the sub and now he is supposedly going back to the 2's (what a waste) and now 3 rucks looks the go because at least one other club is doing it. Or is it they realise that Mumford will be knackered by mid season. The sub rule sure has put a cat among the Swans.

Kirkari
26th April 2011, 10:03 PM
In: Kennelly, TDL, Pyke
Out: Johnson, Everitt, White

With TDL as the sub.

ScottH
27th April 2011, 09:48 AM
I think the stats show that the team with the bye loses more often than it wins in the following week.

But look at the teams that have had the bye.

Rnd 1
GC - Rnd 2 v Carlton (Judds 200th) - Always going to struggle.
Rnd 2
Crows - Rnd 3 v Freo - Crows were struggling this year anyway.
Rnd 3
NM - Rnd 4 Freo (In Perth) A very tough ask, and NM are duds.
Rnd 4
BL - Rnd 5 v St K - Bris are struggling. Saints had bye too.
StK - Rnd 5 v BL, one of them had to win.
WB - Rnd 5 v Freo (in Perth), again tough ask in perth. Dogs aren't in top form ATM.
Rnd 5
Mel - Rnd 6 WC
WC - Rnd 6 Mel, one of them will win, prob dees.
Syd - Rnd 6 Car, Home game to Swans, 2 week rest. ????

ED: Seems to be a pattern there with Freo ATM. 3 games against a team following a bye.

ugg
27th April 2011, 10:44 AM
That's all very true Scott but I was referring to byes in previous years as well. Of course our bye record is skewed by the fact we played Collingwood for seven straight years after the bye

royboy42
27th April 2011, 11:06 AM
3 headed rucking monster! Nothing new as Essendon are already in that mode. So week one we go with Seaby as the sub and the coach gets slammed. Last 2 weeks we have Rohan as the sub and now he is supposedly going back to the 2's (what a waste) and now 3 rucks looks the go because at least one other club is doing it. Or is it they realise that Mumford will be knackered by mid season. The sub rule sure has put a cat among the Swans.

I think Rohan going down is only one option they have floated. My feeling is that it won't happen..he's too valuable to be there. And 80 minutes in the firsts is as good for your conditioning as 80 in the dewkickers. I really don't see any advantage in downing him..Hear that Horse???

ScottH
27th April 2011, 11:08 AM
That's all very true Scott but I was referring to byes in previous years as well. Of course our bye record is skewed by the fact we played Collingwood for seven straight years after the bye

OK, I was only looking at this year, as the other years have been a split w/e, not really a bye.
And the pies for 7 years didn't help!!

Bas
27th April 2011, 11:14 AM
OK, I was only looking at this year, as the other years have been a split w/e, not really a bye.

:hmmm What's the difference between a split weekend and a bye?

ScottH
27th April 2011, 11:47 AM
:hmmm What's the difference between a split weekend and a bye?

Split w/e everyone gets it at the same time, over two weeks.
Bye is a different team each week, except where multiple teams have it on the same weekend.

GongSwan
28th April 2011, 12:54 PM
Nah, dropping Bevo cost us the Semi last year.

I'm with you, most underrated player in the team. His forward line pressure is great and he kicks the odd goal

On-Baller
28th April 2011, 01:26 PM
Im hoping there will be no change this week,personally i think Kennelly should have to string 2 or 3 BOG performances together at ressies level before he's even considered.Last year Tadgh looked slow and his disposal efficiency was awful.If there has to be any change this week id rest either Jetts or Rohan and give Meredith another crack,also with the blues smaller forward line Bevan to go down back and maybe Sam Reid rested with Pyke coming into the line up to play as a forward/chop out ruckmen.

So no changes for mine but if any id go for....

In-Meredith,Pyke
Out-Reid and or Rohan [just due to his limited match time]or Jetts [purely just to make sure his slight frame makes it thru the year].

swansrule100
28th April 2011, 01:27 PM
notice we are wearing a cats jumper on friday

Mr Magoo
28th April 2011, 01:58 PM
I dont know why it would be considered a three pronged ruck attack if we include pyke or seaby. Lets face it , white is not really a ruckmen and he's not experienced enough yet to play the famous leigh brown type role in our team.

Either he develops as a key forward or in my opinion he is dropped for whoever you want to play in the key forward role. The problem we have at the moment is that Goodes is needed too often in the midfield and if you drop white that leaves only reid and the "resting ruckmen" as your key forward targets.

I believe the better option is to :
1. Use goodes in his alternating role.
2. Play white as a key forward with reid and leave him there.
3. Have the second ruckmen going through the forward line as a third tall and move goodes out when this happens to the midfield with a smaller midfielder "resting" with the three talls.
4. rest mummy on the interchange bench and move goodes out of the centre when this happens so that you still have three talls in the forward line along with another "resting" midfielder.

Just a thought.

ShockOfHair
28th April 2011, 03:25 PM
Did anyone notice that AJ is out for 1 week with a hamstring? Or have I fallen asleep? I do find it hard to recover after a bye.
Injury Update: R6 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/112529/default.aspx)

Anyway, AJ is s a straight swap with Tadhg.

I'm tipping Mummo-Seaby-White as our ruck-forward setup. Rohan to go down to the 2s for some quality game time. Everitt to be the sub.

ugg
28th April 2011, 03:41 PM
Did anyone notice that AJ is out for 1 week with a hamstring? Or have I fallen asleep? I do find it hard to recover after a bye.

Injury Update: R6 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/112529/default.aspx)

Anyway, AJ is s a straight swap with Tadhg.

Yeah that was announced during the Easter weekend.

A few hours until the team is named but I've heard there will be a new name on the emergencies.

ugg
28th April 2011, 06:01 PM
Sydney Swans v Carlton
SCG - Fri Apr 29, 7:40pm

Sydney Swans

B: Paul Bevan, Ted Richards, Rhyce Shaw
HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Heath Grundy, Nicholas Smith
C: Craig Bird, Kieren Jack, Martin Mattner
HF: Jude Bolton, Adam Goodes, Daniel Hannebery
F: Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Ryan O'Keefe
Foll: Shane Mumford, Josh P. Kennedy, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Jarred Moore, Jesse White, Lewis Jetta, Andrejs Everitt

Emg: Lewis Johnston, Mike Pyke, Luke Parker

In: Tadhg Kennelly, Jarred Moore
Out: Gary Rohan (Knee), Alex Johnson (Hamstring)

Carlton
B: Christopher Yarran, Michael Jamison, Simon White
HB: Nick Duigan, Jeremy Laidler, Jordan Russell
C: Heath Scotland, Chris Judd, Kade Simpson
HF: Mitch Robinson, Jarrad Waite, Andrew Walker
F: Andrew Carrazzo, Shaun Hampson, Jeffrey Garlett
Foll: Robert Warnock, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy
I/C: Eddie Betts, David Ellard, Aaron Joseph, Edward Curnow

Emg: Setanta O'hAilpin, Dennis Armfield, Zach Tuohy

On-Baller
28th April 2011, 06:06 PM
Theyve listed Rohan as having an injury [knee],anyone know anything about this?

ABloodsMan
28th April 2011, 06:08 PM
Injured in a gym accident last week, they didn't bother telling anyone until today.

Listed as a 3 week injury so should probably come back around round 12 :rolleyes:

SCGonasunnyday
28th April 2011, 06:12 PM
not bad, no point going too tall in the wet.

stellation
28th April 2011, 06:16 PM
Is that LJ's first emergency listing? I can't remember him getting that before? Nice pat on the back for him.

At least with Rohan going out we're replacing him with another lanky, young speedster in Moore. :D

liz
28th April 2011, 06:20 PM
Theyve listed Rohan as having an injury [knee],anyone know anything about this?

There was a snippet on FSN earlier this week talking about Bradshaw, and the associated footage showed him at training doing stationary work (ie handballing) in a group that also included Rohan. So I did wonder if Rohan had picked up some kind of injury.

Is that LJ's first emergency listing? I can't remember him getting that before? Nice pat on the back for him.

At least with Rohan going out we're replacing him with another lanky, young speedster in Moore. :D

Pretty sure he made the emergency list a couple of times last year.

ugg
28th April 2011, 06:20 PM
2nd I think. He definitely had one last year about midway through the season.

ugg
28th April 2011, 06:29 PM
We will have a new sub with all the ones used so far not playing (Seaby, Meredith and Rohan). I'm guessing Jetta.

Bas
28th April 2011, 06:34 PM
Where is the 3 headed ruck monster?

Tricked again. No TDL to save the game either and you can guess where Everitt will be playing. Trying to anyway.

Nico
28th April 2011, 06:38 PM

Is Moore the new Ben Mathews?

dimelb
28th April 2011, 06:49 PM
No.

Hartijon
28th April 2011, 06:54 PM
I like the emergencies as I would have had all three playing. Parker and Johnston are exciting youngsters and Pyke has earned a spot. I am dissappointed with the selection of Moore as to me he was exposed for lack of pace last time we played Carlton and he hasn't got any quicker since then.Tadgh is just a Tad early and needed more touch in the twos. At least they kept Bevan but I hope they don't use him in defense otherwise the goals will leak.Pyke should have been picked.He deserves a go after BOG and brings a lot to the table.I would have had White in the twos and Mike in the 1's,Parker on the wing(Mattner to half back)Johnston on the I/C and Moore in the twos.TDL probably needs to play another blinder in the twos as for some strange reason,the selectors don't see the need for someone who can kick goals and provide defensive pressure.

ScottH
28th April 2011, 07:38 PM
Where is the 3 headed ruck monster?

To wet for Fluffy!!

ernie koala
28th April 2011, 07:39 PM
It doesn't take much to look slow again.....Moore, Bevan, Bird, Bolton, O'keefe and Kennedy....are all slow to slowish.
If Jetta is the sub, as some have suggested, then we really are looking like the slow, bash and crash, stoppage footy team of old.
May work in the wet at the SCG against Carlton, but I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Auntie.Gerald
28th April 2011, 08:46 PM
guys when we play at home can the emergencies play in the ressies game and then also back up as an emergency for the Seniors ??

veramex
28th April 2011, 08:47 PM
I'm hoping that everitt is the sub. He then comes on for Moore or anyone that gets injured. Everitt, like Rohan, has ability to play a few different places.

Horse did say 5 to 6 players didn't play that well against Geelong. Do we know who he was referring to?

Auntie.Gerald
28th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Jetta wont be the Sub

Bloody Hell
29th April 2011, 07:43 AM

Will be Moore (see what I did there) surprised to see him get to 200 games.

Bloody Hell
29th April 2011, 07:44 AM
Jetta wont be the Sub

Of the 4 on the bench would have the greatest impact. Would be surprised if he wasn't.

Big Al
29th April 2011, 08:27 AM
To wet for Fluffy!!

Non Harry Potter fans are going WTF....:D

Which one is Mumford??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1630000/images/_1630515_fluffy.jpg

stellation
29th April 2011, 08:57 AM
To wet for Fluffy!!

When shown to my son, this made him laugh quite heartily. :D

ScottH
29th April 2011, 08:58 AM
Non Harry Potter fans are going WTF....:D

Which one is Mumford??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1630000/images/_1630515_fluffy.jpg

Hehe. Wondered how many would miss it.

Mumford is the more solid one with curly hair. Der!!

Primmy
29th April 2011, 09:58 AM
Mumford's other name should be Tigger.
I am thrilled to see Doggy back in the lineup. He is a great organiser and deserves his spot. Not everyone can run like the wind, but he is strong in his core and rarely pushed off the ball. He is a great distributer. He is worth far more than many give him credit for.

CJK
29th April 2011, 10:04 AM
NO rain so far in the CBD this morning, but the clouds look ominous.

BTW - can I get my cap today? I'm a Lakeside member so wasn't at the ANZ game, and was out of town for the Cats came. I want it.

Big Al
29th April 2011, 10:17 AM
BTW - can I get my cap today? I'm a Lakeside member so wasn't at the ANZ game, and was out of town for the Cats came. I want it.

You sure can.

Member Redemptions. (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Season2011/MatchDayInformation/SwansMemberRedemptions/tabid/17507/Default.aspx)

CJK
29th April 2011, 10:41 AM
Thank you kindly. Glad I didn't break out the old '05 Members Hat from behind the glass.

Only in an emergency.

:)

old blood
29th April 2011, 11:25 AM
Moore and Jetta are both clearly favourites at the selection table, but I'm afraid I can't make up my mind about either. As Primmy noted, Moore has his qualities - chiefly his ability to stand up in a tackle and still get an effective disposal. In fact, without wanting to sound silly, his skill in that area is rather Matthews like (Leigh rather than Ben).That low centre of gravity is obviously valuable. However, his lack of pace was exploited by both the Blues and the Bulldogs in last year's finals and I'm not sure that a slow small man can survive in footy today.

Jetta's problem is the reverse. His pace is exceptional, but what else does he offer at the moment? His possession count is low, he doesn't seem to me to work very hard off the ball and he butchers the bulk of his possessions.

Hartijon
29th April 2011, 12:14 PM
I like Moore as a player for his hard nosed tough"Bulldog" style. I think the game has changed however.Moore would be Captain material 10 years ago. Today its all about running and having a super engine.Right now we and he looks slow and it worries me. The lightning speed of the Pies on Anzac day was what we should be aiming for. Moore is a good player and great guy but where can you fit a guy of his pace in the side? Maybe he will be ok in the wet tonight but a dry day and big ground he doesn't get near the ball enough.

Dosser
29th April 2011, 12:25 PM
I remember when Moore was first drafted and all of the reviews listed him as a 'Robert Harvey-type'. I had big expectations of a small Sherman tank running and running and running (not that too many tanks run, but you know what I mean!). Whatever happened to his endurance and did he ever have it as a newbie?

jono2707
29th April 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think Moore was ever drafted for his athletic prowess - he is, however, in my mind a footballer. He seems to have plenty of football smarts and a good understanding of the game. I think he's faster between the ears than he is across the ground - but teams need a combination of both speed and smarts, and not too many players have both. Hopefully his fitness improves throughout the season and his tank gets bigger of this year and the next couple. I'm more than happy to have him back.

Bloody Hell
29th April 2011, 04:19 PM
I think he's a good footballer. Too good for reserves, but as noted not fast enough or with enough endurance for Seniors.

He looks good when we have the ball, unfortunately when we don't he spends his time chasing 20m behind someone off the ball. With the way footy's played today with forward pressure, etc, you can't afford a week link, letting the ball out of your forward line easily.

Moore is a midfielder without the physical prowess to play in the midfield, so he was hidden in the forward line. Collingwood has moved the style of the game on. There's nowhere to hide anymore and with the reduced bench soomeone like Moore may have a greater effect on rotations and the rest of the team than most would notice.

You can't have someone in the team solely for the ability to organise. Why not put a fluro yellow shirt on him and let him be a runner?

ABloodsMan
29th April 2011, 07:39 PM
Grundy out Pyke in. Doesn't appear to be due to injury at the moment.

ScottH
29th April 2011, 08:00 PM
Armfield, o'hAilpin IN Yarran, Hampson OUT.
Pyke IN Grundy OUT.

ScottH
29th April 2011, 08:02 PM
Everitt the Sub

swansrule100
29th April 2011, 08:04 PM
Everitt the Sub

bit surprised we went a taller player sub

is grundy injured or dropped?