PDA

View Full Version : Round 6 - Carlton

Cheer Squad
26th April 2011, 08:11 PM
I believe this is our first Friday night at the SCG since way back in Round 12 1997, when we beat Richmond by 9 goals in front of a crowd of 35,033 - at that time, a record Sydney crowd between the two teams. Ah, the good old days...

Hard to say how big the crowd will be this Friday. Carlton has pulled a few 30,000+ crowds to the SCG in the last decade. But it's supposed to be raining, and what with Will and Kate getting hitched...

As far as the game is concerned, Carlton have been our bunny team for quite a while now, which is ironic, because they used to the absolute bete noir of South Melbourne.

We'll know how well we're really travelling after Friday night. Should be a cracker of a match.

Swans by 12.

31 hard at it
26th April 2011, 08:29 PM
Carlton are coming off a 6 day break so we should have an advantage having freshened up over 2 weeks.
Carlton have not played at the SCG for many years so that's also in our favour.
Can we break the bad record we seem to have after returning from a break ?

I hope so .... too many Carlton supporters to catch up with next week !

Cheer Squad
26th April 2011, 08:39 PM
Carlton have not played at the SCG for many years so that's also in our favour.

Carlton have not won at the SCG since 1993, but they've played there a few times recently - 2006, 2007, 2009...

alison.z
26th April 2011, 08:41 PM
I believe this is our first Friday night at the SCG since way back in Round 12 1997, when we beat Richmond by 9 goals in front of a crowd of 35,033 - at that time, a record Sydney crowd between the two teams. Ah, the good old days...

Home and away game yes but who can forget the Nick Davis Final on a September friday in 2005!

Will be very interesting to see what sort of crowd turn up ... I for one am grateful i can avoid the wedding by going to the football!

ugg
26th April 2011, 08:55 PM
We played Melbourne on Friday night 25th April ANZAC Day 2003 at the SCG. The famous match where we kicked 10 in the last quarter to overcome a 20 pt deficit at 3qtr time.

Cheer Squad
26th April 2011, 09:18 PM
We played Melbourne on Friday night 25th April ANZAC Day 2003 at the SCG. The famous match where we kicked 10 in the last quarter to overcome a 20 pt deficit at 3qtr time.

Yes, that's right...I remember that game, now that you mention it.

That was the match that really kicked off the Paul Roos era...we never really looked back after that.

annew
26th April 2011, 09:46 PM
All teams coming off the bye this year have played like crap

Cheer_Cheer
26th April 2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, that's right...I remember that game, now that you mention it.

That was the match that really kicked off the Paul Roos era...we never really looked back after that.

I think I went to an Essendon game on a friday night at the SCG about 10 years ago..

Anyway.. I reckon your right.. Swans by 12 !

ShockOfHair
26th April 2011, 10:57 PM

That's about right.

ON the upside, I'm feeling positive about this round's results. Geelong really does look the form side in the comp after the Pies, and we ran with them for three and a half quarters. Essendon, who are pretty close to us, also pushed Collingwood to the limit, even though they got overrun in the end.

We need to be able to knock off the Blues to prove we're a top four contender, not just making up numbers in the eight. On the Blues' record at the SCG, we must start favourites, but Carlton are in pretty good form and aren't coming off a bye.

Big Al
26th April 2011, 11:01 PM
I think I went to an Essendon game on a friday night at the SCG about 10 years ago..
!

That was the 1996 draw. A great comeback in the last qtr if memory serves.

Cheer_Cheer
27th April 2011, 12:00 AM
That was the 1996 draw. A great comeback in the last qtr if memory serves.

Nope.. It was Friday, 20 April 2001.. I remember Saddington playing on Hird.. It wasn't pretty for us.. They won by 47..

Big Al
27th April 2011, 12:15 AM
Nope.. It was Friday, 20 April 2001.. I remember Saddington playing on Hird.. It wasn't pretty for us.. They won by 47..

Probably why I couldn't remember it. ;)

msb
27th April 2011, 12:57 PM
Past games/records are irrelevant even though we've had the wood on this mob for the last 10 years....im a little nervous about this match actually as we will have to play MUCH better than the previous match against geelong to win. I watched carlton live last week and that man judd is just an absolute superstar and they would not of won without him against the crows. IF we can somehow negate his influence (how, I dont know) that will go a very long way to winning. Swans by 14 but far from confident.

top40
27th April 2011, 01:14 PM

Although the Bye is a worry, I can't say that the Bulldogs played "crap" on ANZAC Day, when they very narrowly lost to an in-form Dockers, at Subi, with an injured Barry Hall on board.

ugg
27th April 2011, 01:15 PM
I remember that game very clearly, one of the first SCG I had been to.
Friday night, pouring, big crowd expected as Swans were 3 and zip to start the season.
The traffic in was horrendous, and when we finally entered the SCG it was already the second quarter.
Hird was bullying Saddington, marking with ease even though it was wet and slippery.
Bombers promoted Peverill off the rookie list to tag our playmaker Schwass, with great success.
Swans couldn't kick straight.
We got wet sitting where the Trumper stand is now.
Miserable night all round.

ScottH
27th April 2011, 01:29 PM

Most of them so far, have been crap.

Bas
27th April 2011, 01:40 PM
Swans couldn't kick straight.
We got wet sitting where the Trumper stand is now.
Miserable night all round.

Somethings never change.

Peace
27th April 2011, 04:20 PM
this weather sucks.... two biggest games for us at the scg and it has already rained for one and looks likely for carlton :(

Cheer_Cheer
27th April 2011, 04:47 PM
As for who should we put on Judd.. I would like to see Smith given a go.. I rate him as our best tagger now..

Nich
27th April 2011, 05:03 PM
I was driving home from the Weekend break yesterday and listening to ABC. I don't know much about the radio stations or commentators but I think it was Grandstand and it was Victorian coverage? Anyway a caller rang in to discuss how great the football has been over the Weekend and that he was glad that one of the most rubbish teams in the comp - Sydney - (along with St Kilda) had the bye so he was spared watching them play 'rubbish football'. Anyway the commentator whose name eludes me was congratulating him on his call and said he couldn't agree more about the two rubbish teams he spoke of.

Swans by 30!

ernie koala
27th April 2011, 05:58 PM
As for who should we put on Judd.. I would like to see Smith given a go.. I rate him as our best tagger now..

Agree with this. Although they may put Smith on Murphy.
If so, the other alternative is McVeigh, who is sadly out of form, but played well on him a few years ago, maybe the challenge he needs to get going....It's time for him to deliver, like most other captains do, week in week out.

satchmopugdog
27th April 2011, 07:15 PM

Correct

Bas
27th April 2011, 07:18 PM
I was driving home from the Weekend break yesterday and listening to ABC.

Serves you right for listening to the abc. Obviously they employ morons behind the microphone to mirror the morons that ring in. I've not heard of anyone comparing Sydney to St Kilda this year apart from what you have heard.

I watched Carlton play and they were very good last weekend. If the Swans play like we have in the last 4 weeks, Carlton will win. I hope last week's loss has flipped a switch in some of their heads. Their pre-season form was so much morer superior than to what they have dished up since.

India'sDad
27th April 2011, 08:43 PM
Tipping Blues this time in the hope that I can reverse the outcome when I tipped us over the Cats on what I thought was energy and commitment. Our skills will need to improve significantly if we're to get anywhere Blues this time. Macca to successfully tag Juddy - or he takes a spell in the ressies and leaves Goodes to captain solo as he should have done from day one. End of side rant :-)

GongSwan
28th April 2011, 12:48 PM

And we usually don't play all that well after the split round, might be offset by the 6 day turnaround for the blues, lets hope we don't start poorly, Carlton have been quick out of the gate this year

Triple B
28th April 2011, 02:51 PM
Swans by 12.

Damn.....again.

Big Al
28th April 2011, 03:14 PM
Damn.....again.

Why do you think I tipped Carlton... :)

ugg
28th April 2011, 03:44 PM
Just posted on the @NEAFL_Eastern twitter account

Due to heavy rain in Sydney the @sydneyswans (http://twitter.com/sydneyswans) v Tuggeranong match will now be played at Lakeside Oval from 2pm on Friday #neafl (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23neafl)

Triple B
28th April 2011, 03:49 PM
Mmmm, well that puts the cat amongst the pigeons for my arrangements tomorrow....

Triple B
28th April 2011, 03:51 PM
Why do you think I tipped Carlton... :)

Are you also on a 0/4 record coming into the match?

Nico
28th April 2011, 04:30 PM
Magnificent weather in Melbourne. Not a cloud in the sky. What's going on up in Puzzle Palace, or is that Soggy Puzzle Palace?

Big Al
28th April 2011, 04:39 PM

2/4 and hoping like hell I make it 2/5.

If the Blues win I think RWO should implement a by-law that mandates that Cheer Squad tips against the Swans.

laughingnome
28th April 2011, 05:42 PM
Magnificent weather in Melbourne. Not a cloud in the sky. What's going on up in Puzzle Palace, or is that Soggy Puzzle Palace?

It rains more in Sydney, but there are more rainy days in Melbourne. Work that one out.

ScottH
28th April 2011, 05:43 PM
It rains more in Sydney, but there are more rainy days in Melbourne. Work that one out.

Not in the last 14 years. ;)

Cheer Squad
28th April 2011, 05:55 PM

I'm actually 1/4 - I ended up tipping us to win in Perth - check the poll.

If the Blues win I think RWO should implement a by-law that mandates that Cheer Squad tips against the Swans.

I'm not having much luck this year, am I? And I was well and truly wrong about the frequency of our Friday night visits to the SCG. :o

However, I'm sure my accuracy will improve - starting this week. :rolleyes:

dimelb
28th April 2011, 06:57 PM
Lousy weather, and I think another tight game, with Swans getting their bill in front.

ShockOfHair
29th April 2011, 12:49 AM
A punter has plonked down $55,000 at Sportsbet for the Swans to win at $1.75.

Off-topic, but interesting anyway:

Another Swans admirer has thrown his support and $225 behind Shane Mumford winning the Brownlow Medal at $1001.

A Mumford win would see him collect a thumping $225,225.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a-total-eclipse-of-the-gold-coast-suns/story-e6frf9jf-1226046502366