PDA

View Full Version : New TV deal

On-Baller
28th April 2011, 02:06 AM
In some great news foxtel has announced it will bring back its 24/7 footy channel,7 will get 4 games a week but talk is that fox will show those games as well,not so happy about 7 winning with foxtel but to me 9 wasnt much better.Channel 10 may contest if 7 try to on sell any games to anyone besides them.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/fox-afl-channel-to-be-revived/story-e6frf9jf-1226045868122

BSA5
28th April 2011, 02:15 AM
Can't bear Channel 7, but the return of Fox Footy is fantastic!

I'll be moving into a new place next year, will have to make sure it has Foxtel. :)

Bas
28th April 2011, 08:37 AM
Great news. I love Fox Footy channel.

Does that mean Tiffany Cherry will be back and Matthew what ever his surname was who disappeared with the channel?

Sadly, White Line Fever with Clinton Grybas was a great show. R.I.P Clinton. Outstanding talent that was lost too soon.

I hope the buggers don't charge extra for it.

Big Al
28th April 2011, 09:47 AM
That's excellent news. Won't be paying extra for it though. A platinum package is dearer enough as it is.

Yuri H
28th April 2011, 10:33 AM
Oh man, I don't want to give money to the Global Murdoch Conspiracy if I can help it, but this tempts me.

Frog
28th April 2011, 10:49 AM
I find it much more interesting that Telstra got the on-line rights. I have a T-Box, which has a dedicated AFL channel already. I am a Bigpond member, so the stream is free (still, and hope it stays that way). I dumped Foxtel after 8 years for a number of reasons in 2007 - The loss of the Footy Channel was a part of that. I am not so sure that I would go back to Foxtel just for the footy channel.

Mike_B
28th April 2011, 11:25 AM
Does that mean Tiffany Cherry will be back and Matthew what ever his surname was who disappeared with the channel?

You mean Matthew Campbell who pops up now doing adveritisng for one of the bettings agencies??? There was also Jason Bennett who wasn't too bad.

nomae
28th April 2011, 11:40 AM
Woohoo! I loved that channel. Would be perfect if not for the sad passing of Grybas. Was the second best caller in the game IMO.

Big Al
28th April 2011, 12:45 PM
Woohoo! I loved that channel. Would be perfect if not for the sad passing of Grybas. Was the second best caller in the game IMO.

Who was Number 1???

In my mind Clinton was the best caller in the game.

ShockOfHair
28th April 2011, 02:09 PM
Surely Dennis C is the best caller. Lethal and Roos are the best special comments types.

I'm content with my seven free games each weekend on Australia Network.

Looks like Caro was right and Roy Masters was wrong - AFL will get a billion big ones.

On-Baller
28th April 2011, 02:15 PM
Last-minute hurdles emerged this week including a dispute over the Brownlow Medal count, which saw Seven in the final stages of negotiations agree to simulcast its coverage with Foxtel on the condition Seven's commercials are also simulcast.

Seven's surrender over the Brownlow followed the suggestion from the AFL it could remove the top-rating event from the table altogether and sell those rights separately.

Seven's four weekly free-to-air games and all finals except the grand final will be shown live by Foxtel, with Friday night football contractually bound to be shown live on Seven with that network's commercials also simulcast on Foxtel.

Another last-minute dispute over Seven's insistence on showing prime time games into Queensland and NSW on its second channel is still to be resolved.

The AFL has scheduled a media conference for 2.30pm.

Read more: AFL rights decision looms | Fox Sports, Channel Seven | Telstra (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afls-billion-dollar-baby-looms-20110428-1dxly.html#ixzz1KoccqfIx)

Triple B
28th April 2011, 02:32 PM
I said to my wife 2 days ago that it was a given that they will bring back Fox Footy Channel.

I also said it was a given we will get charged extra for it.

I hope I'm wrong.

liz
28th April 2011, 02:42 PM
One of the best things about watching games on Foxtel is that you don't get the ad breaks every time a goal is scored. So it is a shame if we are to lose that for simulcast games. But getting to see the Brownlow live in NSW would be good.

Frog
28th April 2011, 02:43 PM
When Fox Footy Channel was first released all those years ago, I already had Foxtel and they made me pay an extra $8 per month for the channel. I am suggesting that those that already have Foxtel will be slugged more, those that don't yet have Foxtel will be presented with changed subscription charges for the various packages. Nobody, gives nothing, for nothing. Especially not business. Ask the AFL who pays more ... the corporates or Joe blow and his Missus in the outer ... Guess where most of the Grand Final tickets go.

Expect to pay. It can't get worse.

liz
28th April 2011, 02:44 PM
Who was Number 1???

In my mind Clinton was the best caller in the game.

I don't recall Grybas' calling as much as his hosting. He was head and shoulders the best footy host going around.

Surely Dennis C is the best caller.

Dennis is good except when he is paired with Special Bruce. He seems to get a bit saccharine in those games.

Big Al
28th April 2011, 03:18 PM
I don't recall Grybas' calling as much as his hosting. He was head and shoulders the best footy host going around.

Did a lot of radio and from memory called a 1 Foxtel game each week. Along with his hosting he had it all in my view.

ShockOfHair
28th April 2011, 03:20 PM
Agree, though to be fair to Dennis, "Delicious" McAvaney is beyond a joke these days.

Rohan Connolly called him out the other day in a piece arguing that viewers may as well pay for footy because of the circus that Ch 7 has descend to.

Topped off with some of the most self-absorbed "commentary" a football broadcast has ever delivered, to the point where Bruce McAvaney actually stopped mid-call during a passage of play to observe: "Gee, we're being a bit self-indulgent, aren't we?" Yes, Bruce, you certainly were.

Football on TV, you get what you pay for (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/football-on-tv-you-get-what-you-pay-for-20110423-1ds9g.html#ixzz1KmutpBpa)

CureTheSane
28th April 2011, 03:30 PM
My only interest is the 4 free to air games on 7
Are they pre selected?
Selected by channel 7 at their whim?

There will possibly be even more Collingwood supporters in teh next 10 years if they continue to get the vast majority of their games televised FTA.
Already they are pretty much set for the next 30 odd years with all of the exposure they get.
It's one big snowball.
Their games are televised at every given opportunity because they rate, because they have so much support.
Thei gives them exposure the millions of kids, who then decide to support Collingwood.
Then it's even more important for the networks to show their games.

The long term effects of this? (as well as the same kind of exposure to other teams but to a lesser degree)
Will be interesting to see in the long term.
I'd suggest that the AFL is much like our universe.
In 10 to 20 years it will stop expanding and start contracting.

Primmy
28th April 2011, 04:39 PM
AFL looks to me as having sold us out. 4 FTA a week to Seven (pity help us), and that means Sydney will not get anything knowing how Seven run their business. Its just not fair.

desredandwhite
28th April 2011, 04:52 PM
Looks like they will have 4 live games per week on 7 Mate. Not holding my breath waiting for them to broadcast in HD, but it's a start. And I have foxtel anyway, so I'm covered for the 5 games that aren't on FTA, which should keep wifey happy at least.

ugg
28th April 2011, 04:55 PM
Primmy we get 4 games on FTA currently anyway, and not all of them live. According to afl.com.au all 4 games on 7 MATE will be live so it looks like a step up.

desredandwhite
28th April 2011, 05:05 PM
So that's probably: Fri night, Sat afternoon, Sat night and Sun afternoon. And one of the other key points is that all "local" teams will be shown FTA (though it might be FTA taking the Foxtel coverage). So for NSW/ACT that would be Sydney and GWS.

ABloodsMan
28th April 2011, 05:15 PM
NSW/QLD got the best deal out of everyone (well apart from the AFL itself I guess :D) live coverage for all FTA games is more than every other state or territory gets. Foxtel is looking amazing for the $60 price tag. For basic + sport

goswannies
28th April 2011, 06:01 PM
HATE IT! Less than 50% games free-to-air? Living in SA :( I can wipe off 1-2 of those freebies as Crows or Port games too.

Better coverage Mr Fitzpatrick & Mr Dometriou? unless we fork out mega $ for Fox or move to Sydney (and I don't think the latter gives me a lot more free games) I don't think the supporters have done too well out of this deal.

Given the yearly increased cost of electricity, gas, water, insurance, petrol etc subscribing to Fox to watch footy seems a little steep. And even radio isn't much good here, as getting Swans games broadcast here in SA is near impossible unless we play either of the Adelaide teams.

Anyone got a job for me in Sydney?

kangle4
28th April 2011, 06:44 PM
Brilliant if you have Foxtel, also pretty good free to air in VIC or if you live in the state your team is from.

laughingnome
28th April 2011, 07:06 PM
It's also good for Telstra customers who will have access through IPTV or their Telstra mobile/iPad/etc to all 9 games.

But that doesn't make it good for everybody.

Peace
28th April 2011, 08:05 PM
IPTV is looking a lot more attractive these days, all games live and a lot cheaper than FOXTEL.

But 4 games LIVE each week on FTA is a LOT better than what we currently have! I'm happy :)

Mike_B
28th April 2011, 08:09 PM
When Fox Footy Channel was first released all those years ago, I already had Foxtel and they made me pay an extra $8 per month for the channel. I am suggesting that those that already have Foxtel will be slugged more, those that don't yet have Foxtel will be presented with changed subscription charges for the various packages. Nobody, gives nothing, for nothing. Especially not business. Ask the AFL who pays more ... the corporates or Joe blow and his Missus in the outer ... Guess where most of the Grand Final tickets go.

If you're an existing Sports subscriber, it will be included in the cost of the package. Whether the package increases in cost overall, that remains to be seen.

Big Al
28th April 2011, 08:11 PM
- 9 games live and uninterrupted each week.
- Live Finals
- Dedicated AFL Channel for no additional charge.

LOVE IT.

goswannies
28th April 2011, 09:52 PM
Primmy we get 4 games on FTA currently anyway, and not all of them live. According to afl.com.au all 4 games on 7 MATE will be live so it looks like a step up.

Yeah but that's 4/8 currently. 4/9 next year. Less % of games even though live :(

goswannies
28th April 2011, 09:56 PM
It's also good for Telstra customers who will have access through IPTV or their Telstra mobile/iPad/etc to all 9 games.

Sorry I'm not real good with the Telstra part of the deal. I'm a Telstra customer already and I have an iPhone. Do I get access to the coverage? Do I have to pay extra for it?

Big Al
28th April 2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah but that's 4/8 currently. 4/9 next year. Less % of games even though live :(

Greater % of live games though to ALL states. That has to be an improvement surely.

laughingnome
28th April 2011, 10:10 PM
I'm a Telstra customer already and I have an iPhone. Do I get access to the coverage? Do I have to pay extra for it?

From what I understand Teltra doesn't count AFLTV, NRLTV, V8TV or BigpondTV as data download when viewing it. I don't know if it costs extra on top of your plan/cap/contract/etc to access the content though.

Damien
29th April 2011, 12:42 AM
Amazing deal, best thing that could have happened.

The FTA situation is much much better for everyone, but the Fox Sports deal is just amazing, I'm so excited. 9 games live, no ads and a dedicated station. Bring on 2012.

ScottH
29th April 2011, 09:54 AM
I'm willing to pay the $16/m for the Sports pack.
I don't want all the other crap. I told the Foxtel door knocker this many years ago.
Give me what I want and I'll sign up. I was even going to get the movie channel for the Mrs.
But he still said no.
I hardly watch TV these days.

I also wonder how many people will pay for Foxtel, but drop their memberships,
Or if not members, stop going to the game.

I get to MCG game for free (Well not quite free, I'm an MCC member), anyway, so why would I pay for another 3 games at Etihad, if I have paid for Foxtel. (I'm not counting the Geelong Game, as I've never been)

I got the membership in the first place, as games in Melbourne were rarely on TV.

laughingnome
29th April 2011, 10:52 AM
Hmmm. What if clubs started offering discounted (or free) foxtel sports packs to their interstate members?

Naw, too hard to implement. Silly Friday idea.

Doctor
30th April 2011, 05:52 PM
You mean Matthew Campbell who pops up now doing adveritisng for one of the bettings agencies??? There was also Jason Bennett who wasn't too bad.

Unless I'm going bonkers I'm sure Matthew Campbell still calls the odd game on Fox. Jason Bennett always used to annoy me (he constantly called the possession count as if it was the only thing that mattered) but he's on ESPN now. Tiffany Cherry's return would be more than welcome.

The big question though is are we going to see the return of Living With Footballers? It was compulsory viewing because of how awful it was! I hope we don't get Grumpy Old Men back.

Yeah it won't be the same without Clinton Grybas but Gerard Whately has brought a welcome voice of reason to their panel shows and I forecast an increased role for him on the new channel.

Damien
30th April 2011, 06:09 PM

What Foxtel are after is around 100,000 to 150,000 new subscriptions from the AFL states. This is why a) they have paid top dollar b) why they have created a new station c) why they wanted all 9 games. AFL is their acquisition strategy and they are going all out.

The new channel will be free for Sports subscribers and they wont raise sub fees outside normal CPI type measures unless this strategy fails to gain the new subscribers they are after and I'd be shocked if it doesn't work for them (especially WA, live Friday night footy, unheard for them)