PDA

View Full Version : Longmire: Good or Bad ?

barry
29th April 2011, 11:07 PM
Longmire isnt inspiring me as a coach. We've has some very weird selection policies this year...
Playing a ruckman as the sub in the first round.
Not bringing in experience for the wet Geelong game.
Playing 3 tall forwards tonight in the wet....
And playing another tall as the sub.

caj23
29th April 2011, 11:14 PM
He is a complete @@@@@@@

Wet conditions again and he selects a tall team, then when Grundy pulls out he brings in Pyke. Blind Freddy could see that we were going to get run off our feet in the final term. Evertitt (only because he was already in the 22) should have taken the extra tall position and Parker should have been bought in. Although why they named 2 talls as emergencies is beyond me

Everitt is nowhere near AFL level and is a disgrace to the bloods ethos, yet supercoach has given him a gold pass.

We shouldnt be suprised given that the club just handed him the job on a platter without proper process or considering what other coaches may have been available. Geelong could have taken the easy option and given the job to Sanderson but they went through an interview process and selected Scott instead, seems like the right decision.

So frustrated that we're stuck with this bloke who supposedly knows the ropes after 11 years as an assistant. Incidentally, if he was so good, why wasnt he poached by another club?

Gary
29th April 2011, 11:18 PM
The jury is still out...but perhaps not for long...I see nothing to encourage me about the impact of coaching on our season.

Cpt. Kirk
29th April 2011, 11:19 PM
If you choose not to listen to the press conferences you may think that but in the first round he played seaby as the sub because mumford was just coming back from and injury and didnt want to be left ruckless for more then half the game.
I don't know who you think he could have brought in against geelong other then either pyke or seaby although they would be terrible. If your refering to kennelly he was too underdone two weeks ago to play, The same goes for TDL, Moore and LRT.

I think Longmire is doing a alright job for the injury's that he has to deal with so far these include who i would consider three of our best four backs in Kennelly, Malcheski and LRT.

I dont think he will ever have the X factor that roosy had but he is still imo a better then average coach.

barry
29th April 2011, 11:22 PM
Outcoached by Ratten says a lot really

dimelb
29th April 2011, 11:23 PM
Longmire: Good or Bad?
That didn't take long, did it?

Cpt. Kirk
29th April 2011, 11:24 PM

Maybe come back in tommorow when you stop blaming the coach for things that he cannot fix, other then bring in a first gamer such as parker he wasnt able to bring in another small. Have a look at the list.

ScottH
29th April 2011, 11:30 PM
5 games is a bit early to asking this.

caj23
29th April 2011, 11:34 PM
5 games is a bit early to asking this.

It would be if he hadn't made such glaring mistakes at the selection table

We were told that he'd had 9 years as an assistant and knew the ropes but he is making some fundamental errors at the moment

Cpt. Kirk
29th April 2011, 11:36 PM
It would be if he hadn't made such glaring mistakes at the selection table

We were told that he'd had 9 years as an assistant and knew the ropes but he is making some fundamental errors at the moment

Can you please list these errors?

Foreign Legion
29th April 2011, 11:39 PM
Bringing Pyke in on a wet night was a huge mistake (even though he wasnt disgraced) when Jack went off we were stuffed. The only reason Jack came back on was because we had too many talls. I don't know, Sydney people - had it been raining for a while or was tonight an unexpected downpour?

And was Rohan rested? If so, that was an idiot of a decision.

Swans500
29th April 2011, 11:39 PM
....A little slow witted in my opinion!!!!....

Auntie.Gerald
29th April 2011, 11:42 PM
i dont agree re coaching as yet

Carlton lifted massively thru a marque player in Judd..............we couldnt go with him...........ROK looked like a light post as Judd ran away from him 4th qtr especially.............I dont think we have the 'quality' in our fast players........and our slow quality players are too slow !!

dimelb
29th April 2011, 11:42 PM
... And was Rohan rested? If so, that was an idiot of a decision.
Rohan is out for ~3 weeks after a knee injury in the gym.

Cpt. Kirk
29th April 2011, 11:44 PM
Bringing Pyke in on a wet night was a huge mistake (even though he wasnt disgraced) when Jack went off we were stuffed. The only reason Jack came back on was because we had too many talls. I don't know, Sydney people - had it been raining for a while or was tonight an unexpected downpour?

And was Rohan rested? If so, that was an idiot of a decision.

Rohan injured his knee and is out for three weeks, i agree with jack coming back on but we literally only had first gamers or underdone players to bring in instead of the talls.

Pyke was a good IN but definitely not for this night, perhaps parker in his first game could have done a lot better but playing in that sort of weather would do little for his confidence if he made a few blunders.

caj23
29th April 2011, 11:45 PM
Rohan injured his knee and is out for three weeks, i agree with jack coming back on but we literally only had first gamers or underdone players to bring in instead of the talls.

Pyke was a good IN but definitely not for this night, perhaps parker in his first game could have done a lot better but playing in that sort of weather would do little for his confidence if he made a few blunders.

That is gold, so poor little Luke Parker shouldn't have been selected because it was too wet, now i've heard everything

Foreign Legion
29th April 2011, 11:47 PM
Rohan is out for ~3 weeks after a knee injury in the gym.

Ah jeez didnt know that - thanks. Knee injury in the bloody gym????

Cpt. Kirk
29th April 2011, 11:49 PM
That is gold, so poor little Luke Parker shouldn't have been selected because it was too wet, now i've heard everything

He should have been if he had any sort of big game experience, chuck a kid in with no AFL(Other then Nab Cup which doesnt count) experience on the worst night to showcase his skills and to gain confidence.

Foreign Legion
29th April 2011, 11:50 PM
Interestingly Matthew Lloyd said (about his role as an AIS football coach) that Parker was the hardest junior (at the ball) he'd seen. Said that on SEN tonight.

barry
29th April 2011, 11:55 PM
He should have been if he had any sort of big game experience, chuck a kid in with no AFL(Other then Nab Cup which doesnt count) experience on the worst night to showcase his skills and to gain confidence.

I dont see Mike Pyke being that much more experienced or skilled than a first gamer.

aardvark
29th April 2011, 11:57 PM
Can you please list these errors?

How about playing ROK on Judd for the second half of the game ?

Cpt. Kirk
30th April 2011, 12:00 AM
I dont see Mike Pyke being that much more experienced or skilled than a first gamer.

27 Games to zilch is a massive difference imo.
He probably wasn't the best pic for the night, but i do see why he would be chosen ahead of parker because of his experience and his skills, although Pyke didnt showcase them as much as he could have he is a good player and underated imo. I was glad to see him back in the 22 but perhaps not in those conditions.

dimelb
30th April 2011, 12:02 AM
He probably wasn't the best pic for the night, but i do see why he would be chosen ahead of parker because of his experience and his skills, although Pyke didnt showcase them as much as he could have he is a good player and underated imo. I was glad to see him back in the 22 but perhaps not in those conditions.
That's how I saw it too.

Cpt. Kirk
30th April 2011, 12:03 AM
How about playing ROK on Judd for the second half of the game ?

I would say he had three choices regarding that issure, he could have put nick smith on him which would remove his tag who i think was a carazo, he could have put JPK on him and lose how well he was playing or put ROK on him who has got a lot of disposals this year but if you have a look at the stats i think he is the most inneffective disposal in our team.

aardvark
30th April 2011, 12:06 AM
I would say he had three choices regarding that issure, he could have put nick smith on him which would remove his tag who i think was a carazo, he could have put JPK on him and lose how well he was playing or put ROK on him who has got a lot of disposals this year but if you have a look at the stats i think he is the most inneffective disposal in our team.

Judd destroyed ROK from half time onwards. Point is Horse should have made a change and didn't. JPK would probably have done a better job.

aardvark
30th April 2011, 12:49 AM
I just hope horse learns from this week. From the selection table through to the end of the game was a very ordinary effort on his part. Maybe he should worry more about getting the Selections/game plan right than playing mind games with the opposition and media grabs for the telly.

Tooth Fairy
30th April 2011, 01:46 AM
We have a reasonable team here. But do the coaches really know what they are doing? I heard the defensive coach (is it scott? @@@@ I can't think I'm pissed from the royal wedding. Invite and all) tonight address the players and I was flabbergastered at the extraordinary insight he afforded the players. Can't remember what he actually said but @@@@ me at the time I though "aaah duh ya think!" @@@@ing forward thinking stuff that.

Actually, he probably makes as much @@@@ing sense as I make now

Bas
30th April 2011, 02:01 AM
I hear Malthouse is looking for a coaching job next year.

Nondo
30th April 2011, 02:35 AM
We had them completely covered til half time - Ratten changed something - not sure what exactly - and we didn't react.

Big Al
30th April 2011, 02:39 AM
Our effort dropped off and theirs rose. Under pressure our skills can be atrocious and they made us pay. Footy is sometimes as simple as the other team just wanting it more.

legaff
30th April 2011, 03:00 AM
We were just as capable of pulling off mediocre performances under Roos as we are with Longmire. We went through a lot of really average patches with Roos... I think Longmire is on par considering the list he's working with... the bottom end of our team contains a fair bit of inexperience.

jono2707
30th April 2011, 07:57 AM
Not sure what the point of this thread is?

Lucky Knickers
30th April 2011, 10:37 AM
Disagree. We didn't lose it in the coaching box. Our boys need to toughen up and go hard for 4 quarters. Soft, spectating for two games in a row in the second half.

CureTheSane
30th April 2011, 11:19 AM

Silly comment. Ratten is a senior coach with how many wins this year?

We had them completely covered til half time - Ratten changed something - not sure what exactly - and we didn't react.

Not IMO.
Jack was the only difference between a win and a loss.
I never usually make direct statements like that, but that's how I saw it...
Once he was off Judd they blew us apart.

CureTheSane
30th April 2011, 11:20 AM

I thought Pyke was pretty good last night.
Maybe I was comparing his form from last year, but even in teh wet he did some quite skilled things.
The 'experiment' is working quite well IMO.

erica
30th April 2011, 11:23 AM
Not IMO.
Jack was the only difference between a win and a loss.
I never usually make direct statements like that, but that's how I saw it...
Once he was off Judd they blew us apart.

I certainly agree with this. ROK does not have the acceleration to run with Judd. Hope Jack's injury is not serious. He played out the game, but was noticeably less effective after he came back on.

CureTheSane
30th April 2011, 11:23 AM

Ne either.
So far Longmire has done a good job all around I'd say.
For one, I am enjoying watching our games more.
He gets at the very least one year to go about his business and be sheltered by the faith the club have put in him and see what he can do.

CureTheSane
30th April 2011, 11:27 AM
I certainly agree with this. ROK does not have the acceleration to run with Judd. Hope Jack's injury is not serious. He played out the game, but was noticeably less effective after he came back on.

That's weird.
You disagree with me, yet I agree with you.
ROK was crap on Judd, but so would have been most of the rest of the team.
We needed someone to tag him effectively and once Jack went down (effectively for the rest of the game) no-one was able to step up and play the role.

erica
30th April 2011, 11:31 AM
That's weird.
You disagree with me, yet I agree with you.
ROK was crap on Judd, but so would have been most of the rest of the team.
We needed someone to tag him effectively and once Jack went down (effectively for the rest of the game) no-one was able to step up and play the role.

Sorry, CureTheSane? I thought I agreed with you!

Cheer Squad
30th April 2011, 12:13 PM
I hear Malthouse is looking for a coaching job next year.

Hire him.

He's a proven performer at two different clubs over a long period of time.

Apart from his coaching ability, he's just what's needed to lift the club's profile in Sydney again.

Cpt. Kirk
30th April 2011, 12:21 PM

This.

Maybe later on in the year a thread like this should be started we have only played 5 games.

Plugger46
30th April 2011, 12:29 PM
Gee it doesn't take long for people to turn. Lost two games by a few goals to good opposition in terrible conditions with a fair few of our best 22 out. Few players not contributing and that needs to be looked at but I think we'll beat the 'Dogs and get our season rolling.

Dosser
30th April 2011, 01:17 PM
Do we still have our deposit on Wallace?
KIDDING!

GongSwan
30th April 2011, 01:26 PM
5 games does not a season make, I think we should wait until we get our back six in order, with all the injuries, you can't expect Teddy and MArty to carry the whole backline. Kennelly will improve, I thought he went ok last night, but LRT will add height and experience and we really miss Eski's big left boot. If we get those 3 back and going, Reg at fullback, Teddy and Marty in the pockets, there's yr best back six. The players play the game, I ues you could argue selection, but it's a short list of experienced big bodies, which is what u need in the wet. Carlton's younger list had a bit on our younger players, there are too many things going on to say the coach is responsible for 2 losses in poor conditions, lets blame the anti sydney bias which seems to have extended to the interchange stewards, and ask the players to kick goals not points

ShockOfHair
30th April 2011, 01:32 PM
I hear Vossie's looking for a gig next year.

laughingnome
30th April 2011, 01:48 PM
I appreciate and recognise why there is anger and disappointment targetd at Horse, but I think it's a bit early in the year to look at it too seriously. I say that with the clear memory of leaving the SCG after Round 2 1996 with people in the throng talking about how Eade wasn't going to be a success and we should dump him.

ernie koala
30th April 2011, 01:58 PM
I agree with others, Horse has made plenty of dodgy decisions so far...like...
Seaby should of been in the 21 in round 1.
Continuing to play Everitt, when he has given 1 good quarter(as a forward) in 5 games..
And to use him as a sub, in the wet at the SCG, was never going to have an impact, bad choice.
O'keefe to Judd was another blunder...what about McVeigh or McGlynn, who could at least hurt him the other way.
IMO O'keefe should of been played as a forward. But this is all easy hindsight stuff.
How Horse reacts, and how the team respond in the coming weeks, will tell us much more about Horse as a coach, than specific selections or matchups over just 5 week.

Nolie
30th April 2011, 02:57 PM
We cannot have Malthouse (nor do I want him) - the Swans have a "no d.......head" policy. They tried it Wallace rember?

Big Al
30th April 2011, 03:21 PM
We cannot have Malthouse (nor do I want him) - the Swans have a "no d.......head" policy. They tried it Wallace rember?

If we win a premiership I couldn't care if they were all axe murderers. I'd would never say we came last but thats all right they're all lovely blokes.

If Malthouse was willing to come to Sydney I'd move heaven and earth to get him.

CureTheSane
30th April 2011, 03:35 PM
Sorry, CureTheSane? I thought I agreed with you!

Um.... yeah, sorry about that.
misread your post (obviuosly because I couldn't figure out how your point was differnt to mine :)

So. I agree completely with you :D

Red
30th April 2011, 03:52 PM
Rd 5 is a probably too early to tell how a new coach is going. But Horse has made some odd selection choices this year.

For instance last night Everitt would've seemed a logical choice to replace Grundy given he's a tall-ish defender. That would've let Pyke ease back into action via the sub, or given Johnston or Parker a nice entre to the senior level.

Instead he moves Reid from a forward line already bereft of quality players and brings in another ruckman when the conditions made it a short mans game. Given this positional switch and the weather, wouldn't it make more sense to bring in Johnston (to replace Reid up front), or Parker (a hard-running mid)?

IMO our biggest problem is we simply don't kick enough goals. I'm not sure if Horse's coaching is exacerbating this, but so far I don't see his selection policies playing to what little forward strength we do have.

gazza
30th April 2011, 04:01 PM
round 5 is too early to hang the coach,but okeefe cannot tag and judd ran riot on him,we should have been looking for another option.however 5 games is enough to decide that everitt is not up to standard and bevan only gives effort on the forward line

goswannies
30th April 2011, 07:41 PM
He is a complete @@@@@@@ Incidentally, if he was so good, why wasnt he poached by another club?

He was short listed for the Saints job wasn't he, the year Lyon got it. And North wanted him to apply but he declined when the Swans offered him the succession plan to take over from Roosy. Early days yet and our only 2 losses are against Geelong and Carlton who are fairly strong at the moment.

goswannies
30th April 2011, 07:51 PM
O'Keefe to Judd was another blunder...what about McVeigh or McGlynn, who could at least hurt him the other way.

McGlynn?! Gives him 15cm in height. Possibly endurance and sustained pace too. When has he played as a genuine tagger?

Xie Shan
30th April 2011, 08:46 PM
We were just as capable of pulling off mediocre performances under Roos as we are with Longmire. We went through a lot of really average patches with Roos... I think Longmire is on par considering the list he's working with... the bottom end of our team contains a fair bit of inexperience.

That's actually a very good point. I think this is just that, an average patch. I agree with your comments in the match day thread about the swans lacking the killer instinct these days. Give Horse a full year at least!

Bleed Red Blood
30th April 2011, 11:10 PM
McGlynn?! Gives him 15cm in height. Possibly endurance and sustained pace too. When has he played as a genuine tagger?

Yeah, well he said "hurt him going the other way" didnt he not as a "genuine tagger" ffs. and height made no difference last night, its not like Judd was hurting us by taking a ton of marks

BSA5
1st May 2011, 02:36 AM
Kennedy, who stopped Judd in the final last year, had plenty of time on Judd as well, and couldn't curb him. Neither could Goodes. Longmire tried plenty of things, nothing worked. Judd was unstoppable. He gets like that sometimes, you know? One of the symptoms of being an absolute champion player.

Longmire's use of the sub has been pretty poor, but aside from that, there's not much you can complain about. No, we don't have much forwardline structure, but that's because we don't have a dominant key forward. We've got White who can't take a contested marks and gets the vast majority of his goals from crumbing, Reid who is as raw and inconsistent as he is promising, and Goodes who is better utilised in the midfield. He can't be held accountable for our lack of developed forwards.

Other than that, our midfield has generally functioned pretty well, and our defence has been fantastic.

Really, our skills have just been below par, which can happen occasionally for sides early on in a season, and we don't have a key forward to kick to. We also didn't have an answer to Judd last night. Two of those things are out of a coach's control. The other is a problem faced at least once by just about every coach in the competition.

Longmire hasn't taken the league by storm by any means, but he hasn't been bad.

Bloody Hell
1st May 2011, 03:20 AM

:rolleyes:

Bringing Pyke in was the correct decision. Mumford going forward was a move only possible by his inclusion. Showed enough aroung the ground to get the thumbs up. However - think Horse has made a few blues, particularly at the selection table.

Jetta is made for the sub position...and is totally worthless in the wet. Mature bodies required.

Bloody Hell
1st May 2011, 03:22 AM
I hear Vossie's looking for a gig next year.

So is Malthouse.

Bloody Hell
1st May 2011, 03:25 AM
If we win a premiership I couldn't care if they were all axe murderers. I'd would never say we came last but thats all right they're all lovely blokes.

If Malthouse was willing to come to Sydney I'd move heaven and earth to get him.

To reinforce the point....+1