PDA

View Full Version : Bradshaw under the knife again

DeadlyAkkuret
16th May 2011, 08:42 PM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-surgery-for-sydney-forward-daniel-bradshaw/story-e6frf9jf-1226056992063)

You'd have to imagine he's gone now. :(

DeadlyAkkuret
16th May 2011, 08:46 PM
On the up side we have Reid showing great signs and Everitt looking more and more like a forward. They're our future and I'm happy with that.

Bradshaw was awesome during our run at the top of the ladder last year, at least we got to see him fire a few times in the red and white.

Peace
16th May 2011, 08:49 PM
*sigh* :( poor bloke.....

BSA5
16th May 2011, 08:54 PM
:(

It's weird. In the short time he was with us, he became one of my favourite players. There's something that is just so reassuring about having a big guy that can consistently take contested marks at the top of the square. Even when we had Hall and O'Loughlin, we still lacked that contested marking ability and the structure it brought with it. Brought back memories of Plugger, really.

Give him a job with the Academy, keep him in Sydney, keep his kids enrolled. Might as well try to get SOMETHING out of signing him!

EDIT: The story on the Swans site is much more detailed, and thankfully, much more positive.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114027/default.aspx

Just says its minor surgery to release tightness, and they expect him back running in three weeks even with this surgery. MUCH better news! :)

DeadlyAkkuret
16th May 2011, 09:01 PM
Wow that article is very different. :confused:

Agree with BSA5, Bradshaw became a favourite of mine as soon as we signed him. Then again, he was my favourite Brisbane player.

dimelb
16th May 2011, 09:49 PM
I wonder whether we should copy this to the Media do it again thread. The club story is actually encouraging - let's hope for the best.

Cheer Squad
16th May 2011, 10:00 PM
let's hope for the best.

Yes, let's hope this latest surgery enables him to enjoy plenty of mobility in life when he's finally finished with football. As he's 32 years old, there's not going to be much football left.

Plugger46
16th May 2011, 10:05 PM
:(

It's weird. In the short time he was with us, he became one of my favourite players. There's something that is just so reassuring about having a big guy that can consistently take contested marks at the top of the square. Even when we had Hall and O'Loughlin, we still lacked that contested marking ability and the structure it brought with it. Brought back memories of Plugger, really.

Give him a job with the Academy, keep him in Sydney, keep his kids enrolled. Might as well try to get SOMETHING out of signing him!

EDIT: The story on the Swans site is much more detailed, and thankfully, much more positive.

Bradshaw to have minor surgery - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114027/default.aspx)

Just says its minor surgery to release tightness, and they expect him back running in three weeks even with this surgery. MUCH better news! :)

Agree with every word of that. Loved that period early last year and he would've won us a final if he'd kicked straight.

BSA5
16th May 2011, 10:12 PM
I wonder whether we should copy this to the Media do it again thread. The club story is actually encouraging - let's hope for the best.

I was thinking that. The Herald Sun article was needlessly ambiguous at best and downright deceptive at worst. They couldn't have waited a few extra minutes for the official story? Very poor form, though it is the Herald Sun.

swantastic
16th May 2011, 10:24 PM
wot a @@@@ pik up

BSA5
16th May 2011, 11:12 PM
wot a @@@@ pik up

Seriously? Cost us nothing, won us a few games of his own boot. Not a massive win, but nothing lost either. In all likelihood, played more games and contributed more than whoever we would have got with the PSD pick we used.

swantastic
16th May 2011, 11:29 PM
Seriously? Cost us nothing, won us a few games of his own boot. Not a massive win, but nothing lost either. In all likelihood, played more games and contributed more than whoever we would have got with the PSD pick we used.just as bad as the playfair debarcle

BSA5
16th May 2011, 11:35 PM
just as bad as the playfair debarcle

We got a few good games out of Playfair as well, although we paid more. Still worthwhile IMO, especially since we seem to have nabbed ourselves a very handy assistant/reserves coach.

DeadlyAkkuret
17th May 2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah what @@@@ty decision to pick up old man Bradshaw. I can't believe we gave away a....uh....um....

Snake
17th May 2011, 08:46 AM
The article in the theage is even better, heraldsun is nothing but a glorified collingwood supporter newspaper...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/surgery-for-bradshaw-20110516-1eq3g.html

msb
17th May 2011, 11:17 AM
How frustrating this is, a fit and firing bradshaw would be invaluable to the team atm. Yep he's definately gone now IMO. I had some slight hope he would return but after this I expect an annoucement of his retirement shortly.

johnno
17th May 2011, 11:55 AM
lets hope we win many games from now until say rounds 15-18 and then have Bradshaw slot in at full forward around about then....would be an awesome weapon to have if this happened.

msb
17th May 2011, 12:47 PM
lets hope we win many games from now until say rounds 15-18 and then have Bradshaw slot in at full forward around about then....would be an awesome weapon to have if this happened.

Looks like that is going to be a very big if, but I hope your right.

Untamed Snark
17th May 2011, 01:11 PM
Until he retires I will keep my fingers crossed that he plays again, until then I hope he has an easy recovery.

swansrule100
17th May 2011, 01:33 PM
im happy with the clubs treatment of the issues, nothing to lose if he feels these options give him a chance to play.

Big Al
17th May 2011, 01:48 PM
wot a @@@@ pik up

:rolleyes:

If it was a bad pick up we obviously missed out on someone better. Please enlighten us on who that might have been.

Big Al
17th May 2011, 01:51 PM
We got a few good games out of Playfair as well, although we paid more. Still worthwhile IMO, especially since we seem to have nabbed ourselves a very handy assistant/reserves coach.

+1

Along with Crouchy and Maxfield, Henry has the ressies playing a well structured and disciplined brand of football. He's going to be a valuable asset for the club going forward.

Auntie.Gerald
17th May 2011, 01:52 PM
Its funny how we supposedly could afford $400k for the fella who went to the Doggies from Brisbane

imagine if we had Braddys $500k plus his $400k the last two years...............would that have bought us a good Player ?

PS - just stirring as I was happy with Braddy we were just unlucky it appears ! :(

swansrob
17th May 2011, 03:12 PM
wot a @@@@ pik up

If I had to choose between Bradshaw and your spelling, I know which one I'd be going with.

Mr Magoo
17th May 2011, 03:20 PM
Its funny how we supposedly could afford $400k for the fella who went to the Doggies from Brisbane

imagine if we had Braddys $500k plus his $400k the last two years...............would that have bought us a good Player ?

PS - just stirring as I was happy with Braddy we were just unlucky it appears ! :(

I know your just stirring but in reality, there is no one we have missed out on that I can think off and we didnt lose anyone either to salary cap pressure. SO while it hasnt been a great success it really hasnt cost us anything either.

Cheer Squad
17th May 2011, 04:24 PM

By that stage, rather than a weapon, he'd just be a disruption to a settled side.

And if we're able to get ourselves well positioned by Round 18 without him, we wouldn't really need him.

Plugger46
17th May 2011, 04:53 PM
By that stage, rather than a weapon, he'd just be a disruption to a settled side.

And if we're able to get ourselves well positioned by Round 18 without him, we wouldn't really need him.

Our record against top 4 teams speaks for itself. We'll need a fit Bradshaw to have a chance of going deep into September this year. Without him, we'll put up a great fight but lack the matchwinner who can win you big games.

Given our forward line has been anything but settled so far this year, I fail to see how adding Bradshaw to it would unsettle it further.

Sadly, I doubt we'll see him again but Bradshaw playing again can only be good for our club.

Big Al
17th May 2011, 05:01 PM

How is including one of the best forwards in the game going to be a disruption?

Is this your philosophy for all players returning from long term injury or is it just reserved for Bradshaw. Maybe Mal shouldn't return to the defence after such a long break just in case he disrupts a settled defence.

Good experienced players fit in well after long breaks and Bradshaw would be no different.

I thinks it's a moot point anyway because sadly I think we've seen the last of him. Hope I'm wrong though.

Cheer Squad
17th May 2011, 06:10 PM
Our record against top 4 teams speaks for itself. We'll need a fit Bradshaw to have a chance of going deep into September this year. Without him, we'll put up a great fight but lack the matchwinner who can win you big games.

So why didn't he win us the semi against the Bulldogs last year?

How is including one of the best forwards in the game going to be a disruption?

Is this your philosophy for all players returning from long term injury or is it just reserved for Bradshaw. Maybe Mal shouldn't return to the defence after such a long break just in case he disrupts a settled defence.

Good experienced players fit in well after long breaks and Bradshaw would be no different.

Bradshaw's glory days as one of the best forwards in the competition are well and truly behind him. It's laughable to think otherwise. He's 32 and is going under the knife yet again.

Can't wait for Malceski to come back. We need him.

Big Al
17th May 2011, 06:28 PM
Bradshaw's glory days as one of the best forwards in the competition are well and truly behind him. It's laughable to think otherwise. He's 32 and is going under the knife yet again.

He showed last year when fit he's extremely dangerous so not so laughable.

Plugger46
17th May 2011, 07:04 PM

He very nearly did as you well know (poor kicking aside, he kept getting the footy) - was the only forward on our list capable of doing so. If he had kicked straight and we happened to the game, you'd still be against him returning as you seem to have some sort of set against him.

We all know you didn't want him but if you don't think he was one of the best going around in the first chunk of 2010, you clearly weren't watching our games.

Those days are probably behind him because he can't get on the park. We've had four players make their debut, several different forward set-ups with limited success and multiple injuries - just how would he unsettle the team if he were to return? It's not settled as it is.

neilfws
17th May 2011, 07:08 PM
Here's the latest from the man himself:

Bradshaw staying positive - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114140/default.aspx)

ShockOfHair
17th May 2011, 08:32 PM
Still a possibility to play again, though a slim one. We now know this op is pretty much the last roll of the dice.

Cheer Squad
17th May 2011, 08:42 PM
He very nearly did as you well know (poor kicking aside, he kept getting the footy) - was the only forward on our list capable of doing so. If he had kicked straight and we happened to the game, you'd still be against him returning as you seem to have some sort of set against him.

We all know you didn't want him but if you don't think he was one of the best going around in the first chunk of 2010, you clearly weren't watching our games.

Those days are probably behind him because he can't get on the park. We've had four players make their debut, several different forward set-ups with limited success and multiple injuries - just how would he unsettle the team if he were to return? It's not settled as it is.

"He very nearly did" is just a euphemistic way of saying that he didn't. You keep making extravagant claims that he'd win us a final - but when given the opportunity to do so, he didn't! And there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that if last year's situation repeats this year, the same thing wouldn't happen again.

Yes, I did not support obtaining him, because Brisbane would not have let a player of his calibre go without very good reason. And the past couple of years have shown us their pessimism about his knee was justified.

And no, I don't have some sort of personal set against him. I'm being hard-headed about the situation. Bradshaw will not be part of our next premiership team. We need to get over him now and see what we can do with Sam Reid, TDL, Lewis Johnstone (remember him?) etc etc. The sooner we do this, the sooner we become legitimate contenders again.

Waiting for Bradshaw to magically come good will get us nowhere.

Lucky Knickers
17th May 2011, 08:45 PM
Good on him for seeking every chance to play again.

Plugger46
17th May 2011, 09:38 PM
"He very nearly did" is just a euphemistic way of saying that he didn't. You keep making extravagant claims that he'd win us a final - but when given the opportunity to do so, he didn't! And there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that if last year's situation repeats this year, the same thing wouldn't happen again.

Yes, I did not support obtaining him, because Brisbane would not have let a player of his calibre go without very good reason. And the past couple of years have shown us their pessimism about his knee was justified.

And no, I don't have some sort of personal set against him. I'm being hard-headed about the situation. Bradshaw will not be part of our next premiership team. We need to get over him now and see what we can do with Sam Reid, TDL, Lewis Johnstone (remember him?) etc etc. The sooner we do this, the sooner we become legitimate contenders again.

Rubbish it is. He's played one final for us - had 13 possessions, 9 marks, kicked 3.4. Not a pass mark? Of course he's not going to win us every game he plays in and I haven't suggested he will but we are a much better team with him. Fact.

No, Voss wouldn't do anything silly would he? He only shopped around stars, recruited a bunch of list cloggers and Fevola :rolleyes:
Not entirely sure about the knee being pre-existing either. The club and Bradshaw both said that the major problem came in the Fremantle game last year when Grover came down on his knee.

I remember Lewis Johnston, he's playing CHB in the reserves. What's your point? Do you know when our next premiership is going to be? We didn't win one for 72 years, I hate that thought process - let's try and win one in 2011, as no one has a clue when the next one will be.

We are playing the young guys anyway and that doesn't mean you can't have a few experienced players around them.

We're not sitting here 'waiting' for Bradshaw but if he does happen to come good, he'd be a huge bonus heading towards finals.

bennyfabulous
17th May 2011, 10:29 PM

No one won us the Semi Final, maybe everyone who played are all bad trades or draft picks. :rolleyes:

aardvark
17th May 2011, 10:31 PM
No one won us the Semi Final, maybe everyone who played are all bad trades or draft picks. :rolleyes:

Good point.

DeadlyAkkuret
17th May 2011, 10:48 PM
Rubbish it is. He's played one final for us - had 13 possessions, 9 marks, kicked 3.4. Not a pass mark? Of course he's not going to win us every game he plays in and I haven't suggested he will but we are a much better team with him. Fact.

No, Voss wouldn't do anything silly would he? He only shopped around stars, recruited a bunch of list cloggers and Fevola :rolleyes:
Not entirely sure about the knee being pre-existing either. The club and Bradshaw both said that the major problem came in the Fremantle game last year when Grover came down on his knee.

I remember Lewis Johnston, he's playing CHB in the reserves. What's your point? Do you know when our next premiership is going to be? We didn't win one for 72 years, I hate that thought process - let's try and win one in 2011, as no one has a clue when the next one will be.

We are playing the young guys anyway and that doesn't mean you can't have a few experienced players around them.

We're not sitting here 'waiting' for Bradshaw but if he does happen to come good, he'd be a huge bonus heading towards finals.

Great post.

It's ridiculous to talk about Bradshaw as if he lost us the final last year, how many goals would White have kicked? Selecting Bradshaw in the PSD was no risk at all, we didn't lose a player and after 6 rounds no one was saying it was a stupid gamble to make. I am sure we're planning to win a flag in 2013, 2014 etc but if we're not planning to win one every year with our current list then it doesn't say a lot about the players that we have.

I love the way Reid is playing and Everitt looks like he might make it as a forward yet, but to say we couldn't squeeze Bradshaw into that forward set up is an utter joke to say the least. It looks like we probably wont have that problem, but I sure wish that we did.

Cheer Squad
17th May 2011, 11:02 PM
...we are a much better team with him. Fact.

We'd be a much better team with a fully fit Daniel Bradshaw in his prime. Sadly, that opportunity has passed us by. Fact.

DeadlyAkkuret
17th May 2011, 11:06 PM
We'd be a much better team with a fully fit Daniel Bradshaw in his prime. Sadly, that opportunity has passed us by. Fact.

So we weren't a better team during the first 6 weeks last season? He wasn't fully fit then or in his prime, but he still made us a 3-4 goal better side.

Peace
17th May 2011, 11:49 PM
You ask any coach in the AFL, whether they would've taken him in their team for what we got him for; AND, whether they would exhaust all options to get him back out there within the next 18months. Both answers would be YES.

He will know when his time is well and truly up for playing AFL.

top40
18th May 2011, 07:16 AM
I am actually optimistic. We are told the operation is a minor one. One wouldn't publicly announce such medical treatment unless one was truly serious about playing in the near future. Here is my prediction: Daniel Bradshaw will be on the paddock for the Swans in the game against Collingwood on 25th June

Big Al
18th May 2011, 08:57 AM

Can we send this post to Horse. He'll be relieved to know that's it's that awful Daniel Bradshaw that's stopping us from becoming legitimate premiership contenders.

Cheer Squad
18th May 2011, 09:50 AM
I am actually optimistic. We are told the operation is a minor one. One wouldn't publicly announce such medical treatment unless one was truly serious about playing in the near future. Here is my prediction: Daniel Bradshaw will be on the paddock for the Swans in the game against Collingwood on 25th June

LARS is last option for Bradshaw (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/lars-is-last-option-for-bradshaw-20110517-1erfb.html)

In Bradshaw's own words, if today's surgery doesn't work, LARS is effectively his last roll of the dice.

Assuming that today's surgery works, he'd need at least another 3 weeks to recover before being considered for selection.

If it doesn't work, and he opts for LARS, then based on the experience with Malceski, he would need at least another 10 weeks to recover, and that takes us up to about Round 22 before he could be considered for selection. Assuming that LARS works for him.

Jewels
18th May 2011, 01:29 PM
Can we send this post to Horse. He'll be relieved to know that's it's that awful Daniel Bradshaw that's stopping us from becoming legitimate premiership contenders.

Hahaha, love your work Al (five)

Triple B
18th May 2011, 03:20 PM
Yes, I did not support obtaining him, because Brisbane would not have let a player of his calibre go without very good reason. And the past couple of years have shown us their pessimism about his knee was justified....

.....And no, I don't have some sort of personal set against him....

Who is this Brisbane you speak of. The Broncos?

The Brisbane I know are the gold, silver and bronze medallists of the past few seasons in the Dud Recruiting Stakes.

And I'm calling bull@@@@ on the second part of the quote, you've been death riding him from Day 1....and Tadhg as well if memory serves me correct.

Big Al
18th May 2011, 03:34 PM

The Brisbane I know are the gold, silver and bronze medallists of the past few seasons in the Dud Recruiting Stakes.

And I'm calling bull@@@@ on the second part of the quote, you've been death riding him from Day 1....and Tadhg as well if memory serves me correct.

Ah yes,

Who could forget this (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/29213-Kennelly-s-Injury-Prospects?highlight=cheer+squad+tadgh)

Cheer Squad
18th May 2011, 05:28 PM

Brisbane's pessimistic assessment about his knee was correct.

As for their general recruiting problems, so what? I've never expressed an opinion on that. Just an opinion on their assessment of Bradshaw's likely knee problems.

Ah yes,

Who could forget this (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/29213-Kennelly-s-Injury-Prospects?highlight=cheer+squad+tadgh)

As far as the poll goes, I wasn't alone in my prediction.

msb
18th May 2011, 07:02 PM
LARS is last option for Bradshaw (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/lars-is-last-option-for-bradshaw-20110517-1erfb.html)

In Bradshaw's own words, if today's surgery doesn't work, LARS is effectively his last roll of the dice.

Assuming that today's surgery works, he'd need at least another 3 weeks to recover before being considered for selection.

If it doesn't work, and he opts for LARS, then based on the experience with Malceski, he would need at least another 10 weeks to recover, and that takes us up to about Round 22 before he could be considered for selection. Assuming that LARS works for him.

I think the idea of the LARS for braddy would be to get ready for next year and forget about this year.

Wardy
18th May 2011, 07:56 PM
As for Bradshaw not being part of our next premiership team - who's to say that any of the current list will be part of our next premiership team either? it could be another 10 years before we get there again, it could be another 72 years - I hope its not, but no one can predict these things. Bradshaw has still got what it takes. If he can overcome this then anything could happen.

Triple B
18th May 2011, 08:21 PM
Brisbane's pessimistic assessment about his knee was correct.

Even a broken clock's correct twice a day....

Auntie.Gerald
18th May 2011, 09:06 PM
he was fine in the first 9 rounds or so last year.............i would be amazed if Braddy could have snuck under the radar of our physios and drs checking him out before signing !

Auntie.Gerald
18th May 2011, 09:07 PM
plus I am not convinced given his age that we didnt have a minimum games in yr 2 to be able to receive the full 3rd year contract etc

aardvark
18th May 2011, 09:15 PM
I had no problem with us signing him, the length of the contract surprised me.

sfan
20th May 2011, 07:18 PM
any news on the operation?