PDA

View Full Version : Heppell vs AJ

Auntie.Gerald
22nd May 2011, 06:50 AM
just wondering on your thoughts of young AJ vs say no8 pick Dyson Heppell?

both defenders

I must say AJ for a 50th something pick vs a no 8 pick.......by season's end there maybe not a lot between them.

AJ has only played a few games vs Heppells 9 and already Alex is on a big up swing in his performances

great recruitment

Claret
22nd May 2011, 07:55 AM
Those are some seriously red-and-white-coloured goggles you have there, my friend!

Triple B
22nd May 2011, 09:40 AM
Those are some seriously red-and-white-coloured goggles you have there, my friend!

Lol...well said.

Love your optimism Auntie, but that ones a bit far fetched at this stage.

That said, Luke Parker at pick 40 may well fit into your scenario by seasons end....

Mike_B
22nd May 2011, 10:23 AM
I think comparing AJ and Heppell is a skewed one anyway. AJ is playing a fairly accountable role, negating his opponent. While Heppell is playing in the backline, he's there more due to his excellent skills and decision making, so the bombers run a lot of rebound through him. Defensively he isn't being made to be terribly accountable so can really show off those skills, get plenty of the ball etc So while both players are playing in defence, the focus of their roles are vastly different.

Nich
22nd May 2011, 10:56 AM
Heppell is quality. You can see it straight away. Confident, calm, smart. His decision making is pretty damn good. I love watching the young kids come through.

You're right Mike_B - can't compare them too much due to their roles.

Gee I hope Parks get's serious game time today. I know I should be more patient but I can't!

Auntie.Gerald
22nd May 2011, 11:16 AM
:)

I do love my Swans !

Auntie.Gerald
22nd May 2011, 11:20 AM
Is there any other Key position defenders in the comp who have just turned 19, only played 4 games and doing as well as AJ ?

one?

two?

BSA5
22nd May 2011, 12:15 PM
AJ is a negating key defender.

Heppell is a "small" attacking HBF who will probably one say transition into the midfield.

Ridiculous comparison.

dimelb
22nd May 2011, 12:43 PM

Heppell is a "small" attacking HBF who will probably one day transition into the midfield.

Ridiculous comparison.
OK, but he's had another go and made the right one.

Is there any other Key position defenders in the comp who have just turned 19, only played 4 games and doing as well as AJ ?

one?

two?
I think it's an interesting question. AJ is doing a good job in a hard position.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd May 2011, 08:40 PM

Heppell is a "small" attacking HBF who will probably one say transition into the midfield.

Ridiculous comparison.

Heppell is approx 190cm from memory..........AJ can play flank as well as now more of a Key possie defender...............agree though Heppell is more of a play making defender then AJ right as we have Kennelly and Shaw doing alot for the Swans but AJ has a more disciplined role as he eases into the Seniors

mcs
22nd May 2011, 09:11 PM
Not sure how you can even consider comparing the two. AJ will be very good for us, but it will take time.

swansrule100
22nd May 2011, 11:02 PM
heppell is an absolute gun, i like AJ but gee whiz its not even close.

Auntie.Gerald
13th June 2011, 10:18 AM
just wondering on your thoughts of young AJ vs say no8 pick Dyson Heppell?

both defenders

I must say AJ for a 50th something pick vs a no 8 pick.......by season's end there maybe not a lot between them.

AJ has only played a few games vs Heppells 9 and already Alex is on a big up swing in his performances

great recruitment

I stand by my comments

AJ played on King, Cotchin, Vickery etc etc yesterday did a great job man marking them and opened up and played open when needed also after only 8 games.................he in my opinion will be able to play as open as Heppell in the near future when needed but we are the Swans and not many in the backline get the chance to play free...........Kennelly and Mal when needed back there...............and now AJ will free up more bit by bit as opposition players do better jobs on Kennelly or Mattner or Mal as they are getting older and loosing some pace etc ..............go my son !!!

at 193cm AJ vs Heppell 189cm I see AJ giving us so many more options into the future !!!

we have done very well with a 50th something pick !!!

goswannie14
13th June 2011, 10:52 AM
I stand by my comments

AJ played on King, Cotchin, Vickery etc etc yesterday did a great job man marking them and opened up and played open when needed also after only 8 games.................he in my opinion will be able to play as open as Heppell in the near future when needed but we are the Swans and not many in the backline get the chance to play free...........Kennelly and Mal when needed back there...............and now AJ will free up more bit by bit as opposition players do better jobs on Kennelly or Mattner or Mal as they are getting older and loosing some pace etc ..............go my son !!!

at 193cm AJ vs Heppell 189cm I see AJ giving us so many more options into the future !!!

:)The commentators (whilst I don;t listen to all they say) were raving about him yesterday, and about how many good young players the Swans have coming through.

Primmy
13th June 2011, 12:22 PM
I always keep an eye on AJ as he was one I spotted during the preseason. However I was somewhat dazed when he got the call up, so have been keeping a weather eye on him. Best thing about him is that each week he is just that little bit better. He is a hard worker, but more importantly a very effective one. One day the mob are going to say Where did He come from? And it will probably be after game 50. But I rate him as a hard worker with ability and application, and it would be a big mistake for any opposition to take him lightly.

That is not going to even come close to Heppel. Totally different ballgame here. Like comparing him to Hanners. Hanners played with dash last year, and this year he is playing with cunning. Anyone noticing Hanners? He is the sneaky little player who gets the ball out of the maul if Jude doesn't. Fascinating to watch.

aardvark
13th June 2011, 12:36 PM
I stand by my comments

I rarely agree with AG but I do this time. The kids a gun!

Scottee
13th June 2011, 12:55 PM
The kid is a gun and he has huge upside, whether that will take him past Heppell remains to be seen . Will grow stronger and faster and we have yet to even try him up forward. I still walk around shaking my head about how we managed to pick up this guy that far down the draft. He has so few weaknesses, its easy to see him taking on a more central role in the future.

Nico
13th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Heppell seems to have dropped off a bit of late as has his team. I suspect he is being eased in as a midfielder of the future as his body isn't that strong at the moment. He has got by on skill and nous to date.

Johnson appears to have a very strong body for a player so young, and could develop into a monster of Grundy proportions.

Lets hope his youth doesn't cause Johnson to fade as the year goes on. At the moment he is playing better footy than Heppell.

ShockOfHair
13th June 2011, 08:33 PM
I've been trying to think of a player AJ resembles. I could only come up with Maxwell - not a flash rebounder, but reads the play well and has great judgement. Not really sure about that one - who's a better comparison?

ernie koala
13th June 2011, 09:17 PM
I also agree with Aunty Gerald. His poise and decision making for a guy with so little experience is amazing. He's got good skills and concentrates on his task for the full game....A fantastic pick up, no doubt. A+++

Number 43
13th June 2011, 09:33 PM
AJ this week's Rising Star?

Blood
14th June 2011, 02:05 AM
I don't see him being too inferior to Heppell, if at all.

It's comforting to know we picked up a 19-yo defender with height, a strong body, poise and good foot skills at pick 57.

R-1
14th June 2011, 09:22 AM
AJ this week's Rising Star?

Sammy's got it.