PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Rnd 10 v Roos (LJ to debut!)

Captain
22nd May 2011, 10:07 PM
We need players who can kick goals.

In: TDL, White, Seaby
Out: Bird, Johnson, Parker

Johnson - unlucky but LRT is ahead of him as the 3rd tall backman

Forward line to look like:

TDL White Everitt
McGlynn Reid ROK

Seaby/Mummy, Goodes and Shaw to be other options used up forward.

Matt79
22nd May 2011, 10:11 PM
I think LJ surely deserves a crack now to!

Big Al
22nd May 2011, 10:16 PM
No to White and give Parker a full game. Agree on Seabs and TDL to come in. Jetta to Sub.

Captain
22nd May 2011, 10:16 PM
I think LJ surely deserves a crack now to!

I agree. Who cames out for him though? Everiit? Reid?

Matt79
22nd May 2011, 10:21 PM
I agree. Who cames out for him though? Everiit? Reid?

Definitely Everitt out for LJ (as he can play frwd or back too). Reid is one who will blossom if he is not taking the number 1 fullback each week, he simply does not have the body strength.

ugg
22nd May 2011, 10:27 PM
If I were to bring LJ, I'd keep Everitt in there to allow LJ to get a lesser defender. But I can't squeeze him into my proposed side.

Parker will either be the sub for the third week in a row, or more likely drop back to the ressies to regain match fitness. Longmire's comments about Jetta in the post match press conference weren't very complimentary so he might be in the firing line as well. We're severely lacking pace in the midfiield as it is so we can't really afford to drop him, and unfortunately the two main reserves candidates in this regard either didn't play the last match (Sumner) or have been below par for most of the year (Meredith)

Another factor to take into account are that the two sides (seniors and ressies) will be playing at the same time so there will be 1-3 emergencies in Melbourne who will unfortunately miss out on another week of football.

In: TDL, Seaby
Out: AJ, Parker

Bas
22nd May 2011, 10:42 PM
I don't think you can blame Longmire for all the actual mistakes the players made today.

For years everyone wanted Roos to blood youngsters. Longmire is now doing it and we just need to accept that there will be good and bad weeks - that includes Everitt.

I might force to watch the game again this week to see how different it looked on telly.

CJK
22nd May 2011, 10:46 PM
Just remember Rohan giving me a death stare, walking past, when I was giving boos at 3qt time.

Hahaha

Rob-bloods
22nd May 2011, 10:52 PM
If we are going to get rolled we may as well give Lewis J and Parker a run, plus give Meredith a run. TDL must get a forward role if he's fit and Seaby gets a go. If LRT is not needed in defence then don't play him, else put him in the backs. Jed Lamb appears a natural goal sneak so give him a subs run.

swansrule100
22nd May 2011, 10:52 PM
in seaby or white or currie- a second ruck option, johnson, tdl

out johnson, jetta, and im undecided as i want to see parker play a full game, but i think we have too many similar players. Perhaps reid needs a rest?

Perhaps even just go the two changes and get a ruck and tdl in.

robamiee
23rd May 2011, 12:04 AM
In: Seaby LJ TDL Parker (Fullgame)
Out: Jetta (needs a couple of confidence games), Bird,

Keep AJ in the backline, run Mal in the forwards....

BSA5
23rd May 2011, 12:17 AM
Changes minimal. The reason we got rolled wasn't our forwardline, it was our midfield. Kennedy and McVeigh fell asleep after a good start, Bird was tagging Mitchell and they negated each other, Jude tried hard but things weren't working, and LRT and a tired Mumford couldn't compete in the ruck as effectively as we're used to. Our midfield has runs on the board, so I don't think dropping them is going to do much.

The only change could be Seaby in, Johnson out, LRT to the backline. Tough on Johnson but its a tough unit to crack. Parker could maybe make way to get some good reserves time too, but that's for Longmire to decide.

liz
23rd May 2011, 01:09 AM
I'm not convinced about the team balance - specifically, the number of HBFers we have. A couple of seasons ago you couldn't have too many of these, because the key was how the ball was run out of defence via a chain of handballs. But with the forward press in vogue at the moment, it is almost impossible to do this, meaning more teams (including us) are resorting to a quick, untargeted kick under pressure, and hoping to either take a mark in the midfield or at least get the ball over the boundary.

Marty played the early season more as a key defender than a rebounder and didn't do too badly given it's not really his thing. But now we have Ted, Reg and AJ, not to mention LRT (whose best value is really as a defender, not a makeshift ruck-cum-forward). We also have Kennelly and Malceski now back in the team.

I know Shaw is everyone's favourite whipping boy (in the absence of Bevan and Moore) but he's actually been doing defensive roles on small, quick forwards. Cyril beat him today, and he made some disposal howlers, but I doubt anyone else would have kept Rioli quieter and I didn't think he disgraced himself by any means. But something else has to give. We need more players who can play further up the ground and really keep the defensive pressure tighter around our half forward line.

Mattner has been terrific this year but I am not quite sure there is spot for him in defence if Mal and Kennelly are down there also. I'd like to see him tried on the wing, or half-forward because he can chase and tackle. Alternatively Mal needs to play that role - less for his tackling than for his ability to just sometimes spot up a target in the forward 50. Or maybe there isn't room at the moment for Kennelly in the side - he is a bit of a spare parts player at the moment, neither defending convincingly nor providing much drive from the backline. His first game back, he played further up the ground, so maybe he too, could be tried somewhere else. One of them needs to provide something around the wings / half forward line.

GongSwan
23rd May 2011, 03:33 AM
Some of our blokes looked like they needed a holiday today, and while the a game agaist Brisbane won't be a holiday, will be a bit easier than the hawks. They really did look tired, some of the efforts didn't look good at all. You have to give it to the Hawks, they played really well, and we fell back into those short lapses when 3 goals in 2 minutes were kicked on us. That might be a leadership thing. I think we bring Seaby in to take some of the load off Mummy. LRT is serviceable, but plays his best footy at CHB, Mal is best off half back, Trddy might need a rest, and Mattner was probably the worst game I've seen him play. We simply can't rely on Jude and Goodes and ROK to carry us every week, the opposition teams know who they have to take out of the game, and even though Hanners played well today, he is not seasoned enough to carry us. We can't win a flag this year, start looking forward and trying some different things.Let's bite the bullet and risk losing some games without complaining. There are no miracles in footy, just hard work and game time

ugg
23rd May 2011, 08:39 AM
Mattner has been terrific this year but I am not quite sure there is spot for him in defence if Mal and Kennelly are down there also. I'd like to see him tried on the wing, or half-forward because he can chase and tackle.

It seemed to me that they tried Marty on the wing late in the game. However, I would prefer Marty back in defence and Mal further up the ground - it plays to their strengths. Marty's forte is his desperation in defence but tends to get the fumbles and his kicking does slip up now and then. Mal's main asset is his kicking (save for his set shot yesterday which I felt was a turning point) but isn't as defensively orientated as Marty.

Melbournehammer
23rd May 2011, 08:52 AM
It seemed to me that they tried Marty on the wing late in the game. However, I would prefer Marty back in defence and Mal further up the ground - it plays to their strengths. Marty's forte is his desperation in defence but tends to get the fumbles and his kicking does slip up now and then. Mal's main asset is his kicking (save for his set shot yesterday which I felt was a turning point) but isn't as defensively orientated as Marty.

Completely agree with this and also our structural issues. Marty is a much better defender than mal and mal I would prefer see deliver into the forward line.

The real problem is a bit how Liz has identified. The pressure around the ball has meant that we are bombing it long from a stoppage - I reckon bird, o keefe Kennedy all were forced into high slow kicks. And the hawks all day had a two on one with Reid at the point of the up and under kick. The ball just came back so fast out of this tactic. I would have preferred us to have manned up at some stage and relied on our defenders one in one at the back rather than have the two on one where we did actually win the ball. Maybe we would have been even more beaten but the consequence was a dysfunctional forward line and a midfield that was always just kicking it in hope because there was no one available in an uncontested marking situation.

Mal is simply not a great defender and Marty is a much more desperate defender in the contests.

The Big Cat
23rd May 2011, 11:06 AM
I can't see why people are questioning AJ's position. I thought he was one of our few shining lights.

ugg
23rd May 2011, 11:11 AM
I can't see why people are questioning AJ's position. I thought he was one of our few shining lights.
It's a structural issue and not a slight on his performances over the past few weeks. If we push LRT back to defence, we risk being too tall with Ted, Reg, LRT and AJ, and we'd probably have to jettison one. The coaches are more likely to back the experience of the former 3 over AJ at this stage. Unless of course, they want to trial AJ as a forward given he played there in the juniors.

swansrule100
23rd May 2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not convinced about the team balance - specifically, the number of HBFers we have. A couple of seasons ago you couldn't have too many of these, because the key was how the ball was run out of defence via a chain of handballs. But with the forward press in vogue at the moment, it is almost impossible to do this, meaning more teams (including us) are resorting to a quick, untargeted kick under pressure, and hoping to either take a mark in the midfield or at least get the ball over the boundary.

Marty played the early season more as a key defender than a rebounder and didn't do too badly given it's not really his thing. But now we have Ted, Reg and AJ, not to mention LRT (whose best value is really as a defender, not a makeshift ruck-cum-forward). We also have Kennelly and Malceski now back in the team.

I know Shaw is everyone's favourite whipping boy (in the absence of Bevan and Moore) but he's actually been doing defensive roles on small, quick forwards. Cyril beat him today, and he made some disposal howlers, but I doubt anyone else would have kept Rioli quieter and I didn't think he disgraced himself by any means. But something else has to give. We need more players who can play further up the ground and really keep the defensive pressure tighter around our half forward line.

Mattner has been terrific this year but I am not quite sure there is spot for him in defence if Mal and Kennelly are down there also. I'd like to see him tried on the wing, or half-forward because he can chase and tackle. Alternatively Mal needs to play that role - less for his tackling than for his ability to just sometimes spot up a target in the forward 50. Or maybe there isn't room at the moment for Kennelly in the side - he is a bit of a spare parts player at the moment, neither defending convincingly nor providing much drive from the backline. His first game back, he played further up the ground, so maybe he too, could be tried somewhere else. One of them needs to provide something around the wings / half forward line.

i was thinking the same sort of thing earlier. But im thinking that Mattner is probably more useful in defence than Kennelly for a start. Kennelly gets a bit more of the ball but im not sure he is all that effective at times.

Im not sure of any real solution but sometimes the sides is perhaps the 22 most talented players rather than the 22 that gives us the best and balanced side. We have a lot of similar players and it forces people into roles they cant always perform in.

ScottH
23rd May 2011, 11:36 AM

He struggled yesterday a few times under pressure, but all up he seems to be doing a fine job.

CJK
23rd May 2011, 11:44 AM
I know we're in trouble when I am thinking that Bevan might be a decent option up forward.

Plugger46
23rd May 2011, 11:45 AM

I think it's more a question of balance. I like him but we've got defenders everywhere and very few forwards.

jono2707
23rd May 2011, 12:22 PM
Trddy might need a rest, and Mattner was probably the worst game I've seen him play. We simply can't rely on Jude and Goodes and ROK to carry us every week, the opposition teams know who they have to take out of the game, and even though Hanners played well today, he is not seasoned enough to carry us. We can't win a flag this year, start looking forward and trying some different things.Let's bite the bullet and risk losing some games without complaining. There are no miracles in footy, just hard work and game time

Is Teddy injured? If not, he ain't going nowhere.....

We should never 'risk losing some games'. We should try to win every single game we play. Yesterday was disappointing but part of our DNA is to go out there and do our utmost to compete and win every single game. I expect nothing less....

Melbournehammer
23rd May 2011, 12:33 PM
Is Teddy injured? If not, he ain't going nowhere.....

We should never 'risk losing some games'. We should try to win every single game we play. Yesterday was disappointing but part of our DNA is to go out there and do our utmost to compete and win every single game. I expect nothing less....

I can't agree more. The idea that you would choose to be less than fully competitive is beyond me. however in games we do need a plan B. i remember numerous occasions in the past when the contested game was broken open and we flowed out all over the place - in fact one of my favourite games for such a style was v richmond in 2003 at the mcg when we went absolutely crazy for 1/4 and almost won the game (and but for a mickey o and jared crouch miss we may have won it).

sadly at the moment we dont appear to have any real structure to charge at players with the ball in hand

just wondering but i am beginning to think the original fremantle approach in the 90s might be the way to play the full-on press - but with more in the way of shepharding - the whole game has a sense of being a little like gridiron at the moment with zonal coverage and a manic attack on the ball. perhaps what does need to be developed is that sort of response of protect the ball carrier at all costs ? ie have a couple of blockers in each situation ?

Thats only half serious but i do wonder whether it might not be better to look at how well we assist players with the ball - after all rioli outplayed goodes and mcveigh because neither of them actually shepherded effectively

Scottee
23rd May 2011, 12:39 PM

Strongly agree with you on this one Liz. Team structure is poor. Mumford found himself against three ruckmen in the Hawkes game.Baily would wear him down , then Roughhead would come in fresh and towell him up at the same time as the Hawks were getting away with illegal tactics of shepherding in the ruck wich was not even challenged by us. Then Buddy would make the situation even worse by making a cameo as the third man up. This left the only option for a power forward as LRT who is a great CHB/FB but an ordinary forward.

A good power forward like White , who in my opinion only lost form because he can't play in the wet, or Seaby, would have really stretched their defense when they were vulnerable. But we chose not to do this.

As far as the team for next week and goes, Jetta seems to be a certain out and Everett may not get a run either.

Given the large number of backs we have it would be useful to put the Mattner to a wing or HFF where he can deliver well to the forward line or kick goals himself. The same could apply to Malceski. White or Seaby need to come in for Everett.LJ It is also worth a try.

The side could look like this:

Smith LRT Grundy
Kennelly Richards Johnson
Malceski Goodes Hannebery
Mattner Reid McGlynn
McVeigh Seaby O'Keefe
Mummy Kennedy
Bolton

LJ, Parker, Shaw /TDL

In: Seaby (or White), LJ, TDL

Out: Bird(this is a hard one, only to get exta pace in the side), Everitt, Jetta

Captain
23rd May 2011, 12:40 PM
I know we're in trouble when I am thinking that Bevan might be a decent option up forward.

He is actually a pretty good forward, knows where the goals are and competes well.

On-Baller
23rd May 2011, 12:41 PM
I think we should drop LRT,Kennelly and Reid.

Lrt isnt in our best back 6 at the moment and theres no way he should be playing as anything other than a defender.
Kennelly although looking ok when he had it yesterday is looking old and isnt accountable enough on the turnover,his direct opponents had big games yesterday.I'd rather see a young guy like Rohan or Smith playing the running HB role with Mal.
Reid although he's been pretty good needs a rest i feel.His body isnt upto it yet and in the last couple of games he's taken maybe 2 marks early and then fades out,time to rest him for a week or two.

In-Currie If he has a youth policy then horse needs to play Currie before Seeby.
White-No matter what others may think to me he's a ten times better option than LRT up forward or around the ground.
TDL-Give him some games now,no point waitng to the end of season,if he's not good enough to play at his age he needs to be moved on at years end,same with Moore and Bevan.

RogueSwan
23rd May 2011, 01:27 PM
We can't win a flag this year...
Glad you weren't in charge in 2005 :). After 8 games we were 4W - 4L. This year we are 4W-3L-1D, ? a game better than our premiership year.
And if we win our next two, which we should (whether we do or not ....), we will be 1? games in front of where we were in 2005.

And, yes, my glass still looks half full.;)

dimelb
23rd May 2011, 01:34 PM
Glad you weren't in charge in 2005 :). After 8 games we were 4W - 4L. This year we are 4W-3L-1D, ? a game better than our premiership year.
And if we win our next two, which we should (whether we do or not ....), we will be 1? games in front of where we were in 2005.

And, yes, my glass still looks half full.;)
And furthermore, we are playing ugly football!

Hartijon
23rd May 2011, 02:00 PM
He is actually a pretty good forward, knows where the goals are and competes well.

Bevan has usually been worth his place as a forward.The problem is the coaches. They can't resist putting him back to a defensive position.There he gives us all heart failure with his clangers. If he was put in a forward pocket and KEPT there I am sure he would contribute well.

Big Al
23rd May 2011, 02:46 PM
And furthermore, we are playing ugly football!

(clap)

Just need the fat controller to have a go and it'll be like deja vu all over again. ( thanks Yogi Berra)

Snake
23rd May 2011, 04:09 PM
I think we should drop LRT,Kennelly and Reid.

Lrt isnt in our best back 6 at the moment and theres no way he should be playing as anything other than a defender.
Kennelly although looking ok when he had it yesterday is looking old and isnt accountable enough on the turnover,his direct opponents had big games yesterday.I'd rather see a young guy like Rohan or Smith playing the running HB role with Mal.
Reid although he's been pretty good needs a rest i feel.His body isnt upto it yet and in the last couple of games he's taken maybe 2 marks early and then fades out,time to rest him for a week or two.

In-Currie If he has a youth policy then horse needs to play Currie before Seeby.
White-No matter what others may think to me he's a ten times better option than LRT up forward or around the ground.
TDL-Give him some games now,no point waitng to the end of season,if he's not good enough to play at his age he needs to be moved on at years end,same with Moore and Bevan.

%100 agree.

OUT: Jetta (this guy is deadset crap at the moment, to easily pushed of the ball)
IN: White (if we dont put the games into him and leave him at FF, then adios)

GongSwan
23rd May 2011, 04:12 PM
I did say "risk" losing a few games, in order to get game time into players who need experience, if anyone thinks seriously, we are going to beat Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and maybe even Carlton on the form we have showed so far, you're kidding. We need to set our sights a bit further down the road, like Richmond did, which is now starting to pay off. Goodes, ROK, Jude, a year or 2 left in them, where are the senior players coming from to step into that gap? It doesn't mean we don't try, which the commentators yesterday insinuated, and at tomes it did look a very poor effort, there's right now and there's the future, Roos took three years to get to a flag with a young group, they developed, as will some of our younger players IF they are given games in the seniors to learn tp play senior footy. The way we play footy is very demanding on the players, and as someone else said, we need a plan b when we don't get to play the type of contested footy we want to. This aint 2005, we don't have a Barry Hall or MOL or a Brett Kirk, really we have one forward in Reid who has played a handful of games. LRT is a defender Horse, pretty good one, play him there and find someone to put in the forward line. Few people bagging Bevo on here but he works bloody hard to get his hands on the ball. Can we possibly be missing JAck that much?

Panttz
23rd May 2011, 04:22 PM
Long time creeper, first time poster. haha

What about pushing Grundy up to the forward line? He did spend a lot of time up there early on in his career didn't he? Surely a better option than Mattner.
Agreed that LRT needs to be spending a lot more time in the back line. If Grundy doesnt go forward the only real spot for him is LJ's. A shame but LRT is was a pretty reliable defender before his injuries.

On-Baller
23rd May 2011, 04:41 PM

What about pushing Grundy up to the forward line? He did spend a lot of time up there early on in his career didn't he? Surely a better option than Mattner.
Agreed that LRT needs to be spending a lot more time in the back line. If Grundy doesnt go forward the only real spot for him is LJ's. A shame but LRT is was a pretty reliable defender before his injuries.

Couldnt agree more with your thinking on Grundy and said so a few weeks back in another thread,his disposal is ordinary and i guess some will say we have enough trouble kicking accurately for goal,but most of Grundys skill errors are when he's on the run and or under pressure,maybe he's set shots may not be as bad,who knows but its certainly worth a look and like Bevo id much rather see him making errors up at our end of the ground rather than in front of the oppositions goals,and even Teddy going thru there occasionally would be worth the effort as well.The most valuable players now with the sub and shortened bench are those that can play more than one role.

ernie koala
23rd May 2011, 05:31 PM
Out: LRT, In :Seaby.... Mummy needs another ruckman/ forward to help him out, he's starting to look tired.
Out: Everitt, In : LJ.....Could only be an improvement on yesterdays effort from Incy.
Out : Jetta, In: TDL..... We need some goal kickers up forward, come on Horse...It's time!
Sub : McVeigh or Shaw....I'll say it again, a woeful chose as captain. Horse has tied his own hands but needs to be strong and at least sub him...He's not playing anywhere near the level required of a captain
Parker......Give the guy a game !

Hartijon
23rd May 2011, 06:12 PM
No surprise that Mummy is looking tired. Are they seriously thinking that he can play that hard that long all year without backup ruckman support? Ever played in the ruck Horse? Ok Pyke getting injured stopped a good move but the concept was still good.Seaby should have automatically come in.

TDL : Nice to see him kicking 7 in the reserves. Still can't play in the ones because his defensive pressure is not good enough. His defensive skills might cost us a goal.Forget the fact his attacking skills might get us another 5-6 goals! His non selection is real negative stuff,just like our current game style. We are Ugly again!

Clanger merchants: Shaw is trying to take Bevan's place as our number one clanger merchant and his poor disposal had us giving The Hawks a couple of goals while Reg's appalling disposal gave them another couple. Thats almost what we lost the game by. Once again i would promote Shaw as the sub and don't have a problem with keeping LRT but moving Reg to the forwards. Everitt still not in my best 22 and would rather see LJ there.

Parker for Jetta seems a swap which would give us more. Lastly the boys were not psychologically up to the game particularly after 1/2 time. Whatever was done during the 1/2 time break don't do it again! Furthermore,confiscate their mobile phones.It worked for the Hawks.

Far Reach
23rd May 2011, 11:16 PM

Last year-from memory-one of the assistant coaches said on radio that they wanted to give him another go forward - but couldn?t because of injuries to KP defenders. Seems we may have enough now.

Gezball
24th May 2011, 01:03 AM
Bevan has usually been worth his place as a forward.The problem is the coaches. They can't resist putting him back to a defensive position.There he gives us all heart failure with his clangers. If he was put in a forward pocket and KEPT there I am sure he would contribute well.

so true... they just can't help themselves..

Peace
24th May 2011, 09:40 AM
Tadhg has hit the nail on the head - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/tadhg-kennelly-says-the-swans-performance-against-hawthorn-was-embarrassing/story-e6frg7mf-1226061458142

Jetta needs to go work on his defensive game in the two's, once he builds his tackling and ball pressure, his offensive game will become a lot better naturally. Man i wish Rohan was ready to come back in.

Nich
24th May 2011, 10:11 AM
I don't know if it was coincidence or not but after Jetta went off the Hawks came out of their 50 even more easy than before. We also looked so slow it wasn't funny. It was like we had this massive hole on the wing and no-one knew how to plug it. Maybe it was just an optical illusion and paranoia but you really noticed when he wasn't there, which is strange because I was calling for him to be dropped as well.

When Rohan comes back in we need to groom him to play more forward. Just reading articles on Folau from GWS I can see the parallel that Gary is an attacking player. Not a player that wants to be shadowing an offensive player. He is one of the best young kicks around and it's worth giving him more game time in a Stevie J type role. Now that Nick Mal and Tadhg are back and Alex is doing well it's time to leave Gary up front. It's a damn shame he is injured because he will have to come back through the 2's now and probably only get a crack at a utility type role again. He's young though - plenty of time I guess.

Gezball
24th May 2011, 10:51 AM
Longmire should confiscate the player's phones, computers and anything electronic they own. :D

Bleed Red Blood
24th May 2011, 01:54 PM
Jetta needs to go work on his defensive game in the two's, once he builds his tackling and ball pressure, his offensive game will become a lot better naturally. Man i wish Rohan was ready to come back in.

I reckon Jetta is a victim of high expectations. He's not getting much help from his fellow midfielders, but still contributes imo. And why does he need to build his tackling, pressure? That's not what we recruited him for.

Plugger46
24th May 2011, 01:59 PM
I reckon Jetta is a victim of high expectations. He's not getting much help from his fellow midfielders, but still contributes imo. And why does he need to build his tackling, pressure? That's not what we recruited him for.

I actually think his tackling and chasing is pretty good anyway. He's not going to be a clearance machine and win a heap of contested footy, that's not his go and we don't want him doing that anyway.

It's his finishing and the blazing away that annoys me. I wouldn't drop him though.

jono2707
24th May 2011, 02:28 PM
I actually think his tackling and chasing is pretty good anyway. He's not going to be a clearance machine and win a heap of contested footy, that's not his go and we don't want him doing that anyway.

It's his finishing and the blazing away that annoys me. I wouldn't drop him though.

What do you mean? You'd think he's kicked a whole heap of behinds in his career to date or something....

I actually agree in your point that his work off the ball is pretty good - not strong bodied stuff but chasing and harrassing. One of the things the Hawks had on us was pace and dropping Lewis wont fix that.

I'm also getting a bit sick of the whole 'throw them down back to learn the game' thing -some guys are natural attacking players and we should be playing them as such. And some guys (i.e. LRT) are vert accomplished defenders and belong down back. We shouldn't tinker with these things too much.

TDL would be a good in for mine - also time to see Johnston I reckon. Dunno who to drop though - I've leave that to the experts...

JudesaGun
24th May 2011, 02:58 PM
When it comes down to it, we need more genuine forwards in the team (not fill ins or resting players).

Reid has been struggling a little, but is still presenting well and involving himself in lots of contests. The delivery isn't helping.

Everitt has been ok, but ideally should be played as a roaming HF (similar to what O'Keefe used to do). I'd actually give him a rest this week and see what Johnston can do in the same position.

I'd also bring in TDL as a permanent forward, along with Reid and McGlynn. I'd also bring in Seaby who can relieve in the ruck and rest up forward.

So the forward line would be:

Johnston Reid Hannebery/ O'Keefe
TDL Seaby McGlynn

Changes for this round therefore should be:

Outs: Bird, Everitt, Johnson
Ins: TDL, Johnston, Seaby

Johnson unlucky, but more so out for team balance with LRT back to a permanent role in defence.

Thoughts?

Peace
24th May 2011, 03:18 PM

We recruited him for his pace with AND without the ball.... so far this season he is only interested in using his pace when he has the ball in his hands. Only a handful of times have a seen him make 2nd and 3rd attempts on pressuring the opponent into spilling the ball over.

I have always been a jetta fan, but after his first few games with us last year, he has just seemed a bit lacklustre in his defensive output. When was the last time you saw him suprise an opponent and ping them for HTB? You dont have to be 90kg+ to do that. I jsut want to see more really committed defensive efforts from him and i think a spell in the two's might spurr that on.

Captain
24th May 2011, 03:25 PM
We are actually lacking a good tagging player. For years we had Kirky and then Jack stepped up, now we have no one.

They are trying to groom Bird for the role, though that doesn't seem to be working. Smith is the obvious one but then it robs our defence of someone to cover the small forward.

Big Al
24th May 2011, 03:35 PM
We are actually lacking a good tagging player. For years we had Kirky and then Jack stepped up, now we have no one.

They are trying to groom Bird for the role, though that doesn't seem to be working. Smith is the obvious one but then it robs our defence of someone to cover the small forward.

I thought Bird did a pretty good job on Mitchell.

Captain
24th May 2011, 03:44 PM
I thought Bird did a pretty good job on Mitchell.

Disagree. Whilst he wasn't BOG, Mitchell was involved in a lot of centre clearences and helped drive them forward in the 3rd qtr when the game was won.

The fact Mitchell got 28 positions highlights my point. Our taggers of old would consistently keep players under 20 possessions and in cases like Kirky, would keep them under 15.

undy
24th May 2011, 03:58 PM
How did Smithy go ?

It was hard to tell from the radio commentary and I haven'y bought myself to watch the game yet.
I thought that he had been beaten at least once this year in a tagging role, which is unlike him. I think we need 3 good tagging players against some of those teams and its great if one of them is very good at it (like Kirky) or is good at it and can counter-attack (like Jack).

Captain
24th May 2011, 04:38 PM
This clown has Nick Smith on the chopping block.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/footy-barometer-round-10/story-e6frf9jf-1226041482103

Plugger1300
24th May 2011, 04:57 PM
How did Smithy go ?

It was hard to tell from the radio commentary and I haven'y bought myself to watch the game yet.
I thought that he had been beaten at least once this year in a tagging role, which is unlike him. I think we need 3 good tagging players against some of those teams and its great if one of them is very good at it (like Kirky) or is good at it and can counter-attack (like Jack).

That is ridiculous we have to be offensive you can't have three taggers negating. We need players hunting the ball.

On Jetta i like him as a player but he is as soft as butter and it's killing us. He is brushed off the football/contest and tackles. I would play him as the sub for the next few weeks. Play LJ and TDL for god's sake let's see what they can do. Also Seaby or Pyke are a must otherwise Mummy won't last the year

31 hard at it
24th May 2011, 04:58 PM
LJ to debut against North according to Swans website !

jono2707
24th May 2011, 05:05 PM
That is ridiculous we have to be offensive you can't have three taggers negating. We need players hunting the ball.

Good point - there didn't seem to be too many times where we had first hands on the ball in contested situations. Too often we were waiting for a Hawks player to take possession and then tackle them, however this was pretty ineffective most of the time due to the Hawks speed and sharpness in close.

ugg
24th May 2011, 05:18 PM
Doesn't sound like it's official yet.

Johnston in line for debut - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114643/default.aspx)
Longmire ponders team changes (http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8253007)

RogueSwan
24th May 2011, 05:20 PM

I got excited then read
Lewis Johnston is in contention to make his AFL debut this week

JudesaGun
24th May 2011, 05:29 PM
Assuming LJ does play (and even if he doesn?t), one positive to take from this year so far is how many young recruits have been given a chance.

I just hope that Luke Parker is played for a full game to show his potential, rather than dropped. The fact that he hasn?t been listed of one of the players fighting to keep his spot is a good sign.

ugg
24th May 2011, 05:31 PM
Horse's presso here

ABC Sport - Media Call: John Longmire (http://www.abc.net.au/sport/audio/2011/05/24/3225714.htm?site=sport&section=afl)

ugg
24th May 2011, 05:42 PM
Only interesting point that wasn't mentioned in those articles:

TDL missed last week's training with a sore ankle, back in training this week. It might hurt his chances as it isn't perfect preparation for him but he's still in the mix.

I like how he mentioned LJ's name first when asked who the contenders were, he had a similar response a few weeks ago when he mentioned Nipper's name straight off.

msb
24th May 2011, 05:42 PM
Surely TDL gets a go (if fit) as well as johnston, we need to kick a winning score! Seaby would be beneficial too as a resting forward.

dimelb
24th May 2011, 05:53 PM
I'm almost as pleased to see Seaby mentioned as I am to see Johnston's name brought forward. And Horse's comments about trying people out and fixing the structure is excellent news too. It may sound like the bleeding obvious, but the bleeding obvious is ignored at times. Will wait for 5 o'clock Thursday (I assume) with great eagerness.

Nich
24th May 2011, 06:10 PM
For sure Ugg. Horse has stated LP and LJ were next in line for making a debut. LJ is so so close. Has to be this week against North - SURELY!

24th May 2011, 06:33 PM
In : Seaby ,TDL, Johnstone
Out : Jetta , Bird , Everitt

North dont have any decent defenders.
Reckon we can expose there weak defence with a bit of height, pace and class.
Parker need a full game in the ones. Everitt and Jetta need a spell. They are in and out of games to much.
Bird needs to be dropped simply on form

ernie koala
24th May 2011, 07:47 PM

North dont have any decent defenders.
Reckon we can expose there weak defence with a bit of height, pace and class.
Parker need a full game in the ones. Everitt and Jetta need a spell. They are in and out of games to much.
Bird needs to be dropped simply on form

I agree with your in's (I posted the same ones the other day) but you can't drop 2 midfielders and a forward for 2 forwards and a ruckman.
I'd think you would keep one of the midfielders and drop either LRT or another tall defender.....but who?

ugg
24th May 2011, 09:52 PM
We will have our 5th debutant of the year on Saturday.

liz
24th May 2011, 10:18 PM
We will have our 5th debutant of the year on Saturday.

And not before time! I wonder if it will be a straight swap for Everitt or if they will both play. (And I presume that Johnno will be coming in primarily to play forward given that we seem to be overflowing with defenders at the moment.) I'd prefer they keep them both in. I know Everitt has received some shellacking on here this week but I thought he looked quite dangerous in the first quarter last week while our midfield was actually winning some ball. Our midfield was so poor after this point that I am not sure how much of the subsequent forward line impotence can be blamed on Everitt.

MattW
24th May 2011, 10:21 PM
Yes, Johnston in for Everitt. And after that interview it sounds like TDL won't be back yet.

It also sounds like he wants to bring Seaby in, and I think he needs to. Seaby/Mummy can play forward when resting Johnston or if it's not working out for Johnston.

Jetta the other player to miss out.

JudesaGun
24th May 2011, 10:22 PM
But can we carry LJ, Reid, Everitt and a resting ruckman in the same forward line? Seems unlikely.

ugg
24th May 2011, 10:25 PM
Everitt started on the wing in the 2nd half both against Port and Hawthorn. He doesn't necessarily have to be pigeon holed as a tall forward. His versatility will aid his chances of staying in the team.

BSA5
24th May 2011, 10:35 PM
And not before time! I wonder if it will be a straight swap for Everitt or if they will both play. (And I presume that Johnno will be coming in primarily to play forward given that we seem to be overflowing with defenders at the moment.) I'd prefer they keep them both in. I know Everitt has received some shellacking on here this week but I thought he looked quite dangerous in the first quarter last week while our midfield was actually winning some ball. Our midfield was so poor after this point that I am not sure how much of the subsequent forward line impotence can be blamed on Everitt.

This. Absolutely. Both Everitt and Reid looked dangerous early, and both went missing when our midfield got dominated, which is perfectly normal; as forwards, no matter how good you are, you need supply, and they didn't get it.

Everitt, Johnston and Reid should be our three targets up forward against the Roos, and Goodes should play an entire game in the midfield.

Gezball
24th May 2011, 11:01 PM
This. Absolutely. Both Everitt and Reid looked dangerous early, and both went missing when our midfield got dominated, which is perfectly normal; as forwards, no matter how good you are, you need supply, and they didn't get it.

Everitt, Johnston and Reid should be our three targets up forward against the Roos, and Goodes should play an entire game in the midfield.

I'm with you. I'm not saying they're the dream forward line, but I felt the problems were further upfield. We were getting slaughtered in the middle. I'd much prefer Goodes to stay in the middle.

ugg
24th May 2011, 11:14 PM
@toddbalym 5 hours ago

I think L Johnston, Seaby and Meredith in. Out: Jetta, Everitt and A Johnson (unlucky with LRT to defence). TDL has ankle issues.

Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/toddbalym/status/72917626686423040)

Matt79
24th May 2011, 11:35 PM
@toddbalym 5 hours ago

Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/toddbalym/status/72917626686423040)

He also said Jetta would not play last week due to knee injury so I take his journalism with a grain of salt.

ugg
24th May 2011, 11:54 PM
I gave him a serve last week for suggesting that Malceski would play :o The Jetta comment about his knee was made on the day after the Port game, which apparently cleared up the subsequent day. Still, it's all his opinion but given he spends more time watching them train and interviewing the staff, he's in a better position than most here to have an educated guess at the changes.

BSA5
25th May 2011, 12:28 AM
He also said Jetta would not play last week due to knee injury so I take his journalism with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't. He correctly predicted that Melcho would play, and he only said Jetta might miss. Longmire confirmed that Jetta was indeed in doubt early in the week, so Balym was spot on.

ernie koala
25th May 2011, 09:06 AM
On current form Johnson should hold his spot , if he is dropped he's very stiff.
LRT on the other hand, though playing out of position, will be very lucky if he holds his spot, it will be on reputation alone.

Captain
25th May 2011, 09:34 AM
On current form Johnson should hold his spot , if he is dropped he's very stiff.
LRT on the other hand, though playing out of position, will be very lucky if he holds his spot, it will be on reputation alone.

LRT is a better defender then Johnson.

RogueSwan
25th May 2011, 09:35 AM

North dont have any decent defenders...

I would have classed Firrito (sp?) as a good to very good defender.

I think we need Bird in as a tagger, who is going to sit on Swallow? In the past it has been Cap'n Kirk.

ernie koala
25th May 2011, 09:58 AM
LRT is a better defender then Johnson.

On reputation, as I said.

alison.z
25th May 2011, 11:25 AM
Those are logical changes - wouldn't have a problem with any of them though would feel sorry for Johnson. Also not sure Longmire would make that many changes in one go ... I don't think we've had 3 unforced changes in a while!

R-1
25th May 2011, 11:35 AM
Damn it, Johnson's in my supercoach team.

Hartijon
25th May 2011, 12:41 PM
Our forward line remains a mess. Maybe we can beat North with it but we will come apart against better sides. My suggestion is Seaby to Full Forward and forward pocket rucking duties,.Reg who has delivered terribly and turned over repeatedly to CHF releasing Goodes to play in the middle. Reg is a good mark,good reader of the play,kicks straight on a set shot and needs a refresher move to spark him back to top form. LRT can take his spot in the backlines with no loss for the team. This forward line might actually function particularly with Reid, Mc Glynne,Bolton and TDL filling the flanks. If TDL is not fit I would support Bevan's return exclusively as a forward.

Big Al
25th May 2011, 01:04 PM
If TDL is not fit I would support Bevan's return exclusively as a forward.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

(I agree)

Captain
25th May 2011, 04:30 PM
I think of all times over the last 2 years, we need Goodes in the forward line now.

Dosser
25th May 2011, 05:58 PM
I would have classed Firrito (sp?) as a good to very good defender.

I think we need Bird in as a tagger, who is going to sit on Swallow? In the past it has been Cap'n Kirk.

Either of them could be off to a flyer.

Hartijon
25th May 2011, 06:47 PM

Eggsactly! The high flyers like Swallow might be too fast for our Bird to catch.

RogueSwan
25th May 2011, 09:42 PM

Eggsactly! The high flyers like Swallow might be too fast for our Bird to catch.

Is it a concern that the Bird is flying south in winter but we're in southern hemisphere?

ernie koala
26th May 2011, 10:36 AM
Is it a concern that the Bird is flying south in winter but we're in southern hemisphere?

Unless our Bird is an albatross.

ugg
26th May 2011, 11:38 AM
From the Swans FB page

Co-captain Jarrad McVeigh has just confirmed that the Swans will blood their fifth debutant for 2011. Lewis Johnston will make his senior debut on Saturday against the Kangaroos.

Untamed Snark
26th May 2011, 12:10 PM
Unless our Bird is an albatross.

You think last week is that large a burden?

Hartijon
26th May 2011, 12:13 PM
From the Swans FB page

Co-captain Jarrad McVeigh has just confirmed that the Swans will blood their fifth debutant for 2011. Lewis Johnston will make his senior debut on Saturday against the Kangaroos.

Fantastic News. Its been a wait but hopefully a worthwhile one and he is now fully prepared to hit the big time.

RogueSwan
26th May 2011, 12:35 PM
Fantastic News. Its been a wait but hopefully a worthwhile one and he is now fully prepared to hit the big time.

What he said.(clap)

ShockOfHair
26th May 2011, 12:51 PM
Great news. Where will he play? Back, forward or sub?

Plugger46
26th May 2011, 01:16 PM
Great news, thoroughly deserved from all reports.

swansrule100
26th May 2011, 02:08 PM
hope he is in to play forward, not defence and not as the bloody sub. New rule should be no debutants wear sub jacket

Captain
26th May 2011, 02:17 PM
How good would it be to have both Johnston and Reid with some experience and in form. Could be a very exciting future.

ugg
26th May 2011, 02:31 PM
Great news. Where will he play? Back, forward or sub?
All Swans debutants are handed a tagging job, it's clause 5 (c) in their contracts.

magic.merkin
26th May 2011, 02:51 PM
first game, must win, his versatility I'm thinking sub.

ugg
26th May 2011, 04:53 PM
Okay to pass the next 67 minutes till teams are named, who can tell me who was the last Swan to debut against North?

stellation
26th May 2011, 05:04 PM
Okay to pass the next 67 minutes till teams are named, who can tell me who was the last Swan to debut against North?

The 19th man?

ugg
26th May 2011, 05:06 PM
The 19th man?
Correct! I should have guessed that you would be the person to get it right.

ugg
26th May 2011, 05:10 PM
Incorrect info. Apologies.

RogueSwan
26th May 2011, 05:26 PM
Seaby... will all be going to Newcastle (to play for the Reserves)

@@@@!

dimelb
26th May 2011, 05:27 PM
Seaby, Meredith, TDL, White, Sumner, Moore and Bevan will all be going to Newcastle (to play for the Reserves)
Not pleased about this, especially after Horse made encouraging noises about Seaby and rejigging Mummy's work load. Looks as if the club is determined to have a premiership one way or another!

Aaron
26th May 2011, 05:57 PM
Mummy Out !!!
Seaby in
Everett out
Johnston in as HB

ugg
26th May 2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry, got the wrong info.

No Late Changes
North Melbourne

B: Jamie Macmillan (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx), Michael Firrito (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14294), Scott Thompson (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=18346)
HB: Daniel Pratt (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14318), Luke Delaney (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx), Brady Rawlings (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14319)
C: Daniel Wells (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14334), Levi Greenwood (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=18345), Scott McMahon (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14312)
HF: Lindsay Thomas (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=15507), Aaron Edwards (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14661), Brent Harvey (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14302)
F: Lachlan Hansen (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=15504), Drew Petrie (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14316), Jack Ziebell (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=19964)
Foll: Todd Goldstein (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=15503), Andrew Swallow (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=14328), Leigh Adams (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=15510)
I/C: Liam Anthony (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=19965), Benjamin Speight (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=20045), Ben Cunnington (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=21596), Shaun Atley (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx)
Emg: Cruize Garlett (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=18412), Cameron Richardson (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx), Cameron Pedersen (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx)

In: Levi Greenwood (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=18345), Liam Anthony (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=19965)
Out: Cruize Garlett (http://www.kangaroos.com.au/tabid/8141/Default.aspx?playerid=18412), Kieran Harper (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx) (Rested)

Sydney Swans

B: Nick Malceski (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14533), Ted Richards (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14541), Alex Johnson (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=22258)
HB: Tadhg Kennelly (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14530), Heath Grundy (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14526), Lewis Johnston (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=19950)
C: Rhyce Shaw (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=18536), Jude Bolton (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14512), Nicholas Smith (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=15649)
HF: Ben McGlynn (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=20162), Lewis Roberts-Thomson (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14542), Josh P. Kennedy (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=20161)
F: Jarrad McVeigh (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14535), Adam Goodes (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14525), Ryan O'Keefe (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14537)
Foll: Mark Seaby (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=20160), Craig Bird (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=18369), Daniel Hannebery (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=19953)
I/C: Martin Mattner (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=15819), Lewis Jetta (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=21626), Sam Reid (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=21628), Luke Parker (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=22257)
Emg: Jarred Moore (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=14536), Jesse White (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=15531), Andrejs Everitt (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx)

In: Lewis Johnston (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=19950), Mark Seaby (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=20160)
Out: Shane Mumford (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=20163) (Knee), Andrejs Everitt (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/season2011/teamannouncement/tabid/16483/default.aspx)
New: Lewis Johnston (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/8472/Default.aspx?playerid=19950) (North Adelaide (SA))

Melbourne_Blood
26th May 2011, 06:01 PM
This is not good.... hope its not serious or we're pretty screwed.

alison.z
26th May 2011, 06:03 PM
Didn't see Mumford out coming ... Guess this is Seaby's big chance! Would like to see Jetta start as sub to give Parker his first full run ... Excited to see Johnston as well - it's been a long time coming.

ShockOfHair
26th May 2011, 06:06 PM
De-Mummyfied.:(

ernie koala
26th May 2011, 06:06 PM
Seaby, Meredith, TDL, White, Sumner, Moore and Bevan will all be going to Newcastle (to play for the Reserves)

Sounds like the familiar Roos Dribble we copped over selection, talk it up then change the bare minimum.
Selecting LRT as a forward/ ruckmen has been a dud move, which hasn't worked, yet it seems they are persisting....All the while we have a talented natural ruckmen/ forward languishing in the 2's...very strange.
I also think to play LJ as a sub would be a another dud move, these new guys need a full game to settle into their work at the speed and intensity required.

msb
26th May 2011, 06:21 PM
Geez mummy out is a huge blow...so we've replaced everitt with a debut and seaby comes in for mummy, how are we gonna kick a winning score??? Surely TDL, White and to a lesser extent Bevan (as a forward) should of also been brought in (at least one of them anyway). LRT named at CHF? What is going on? I can see a loss here because of selection.

aardvark
26th May 2011, 06:24 PM
Now i'm really pissed. The way the club has handled Mummy this season is nothing short of gross negligence. We could all see this coming, it wasn't rocket science.

ShockOfHair
26th May 2011, 06:27 PM
The published team bears no reality to where players will actually play remember. LRT will probably rest a bit in the forward line and also in teh backline but mostly it will be Goodes and Reid as our forward KPPs.

Swans site says Mumford has a sore knee and apparently will only miss a week.
Seaby makes return - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114835/default.aspx)

dimelb
26th May 2011, 06:31 PM
The published team bears no reality to where players will actually play remember. LRT will probably rest a bit in the forward line and also in teh backline but mostly it will be Goodes and Reid as our forward KPPs.

Swans site says Mumford has a sore knee and apparently will only miss a week.

Seaby makes return - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114835/default.aspx)
So the real test of the selectors will come next week when Seaby and Mumford will (apparently) both be available. I hope Seaby plays a blinder - I suspect he'll need to.

ShockOfHair
26th May 2011, 06:32 PM
Todd Balym tweeted that Mumford has PCL soreness, could be more than 1 week.
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/toddbalym)

Hartijon
26th May 2011, 06:53 PM
Now i'm really pissed. The way the club has handled Mummy this season is nothing short of gross negligence. We could all see this coming, it wasn't rocket science.

Totally agree and said as much weeks ago that this will be inevitable! So frustrating when it was so avoidable with two good ruckmen in the twos. Player welfare neglect!

BSA5
26th May 2011, 07:28 PM
What I don't like is the fact that we've got a player who has won a Brownlow as a super-versatile second ruckman, in a season where rule changes have made super-versatile second ruckmen extremely valuable, and it has been a number of years since changes to the centre-circle have greatly reduced the likelihood of injuries of the type that first prompted our super-versatile, Brownlow-winning second ruckman to another role.

lwjoyner
26th May 2011, 07:28 PM
agree with these comments, how could the selectors not see the need to give support to Mummy, hope they havent hurt him for longer. Why o why wasnt Seaby played when Pyke went down. Its a worry for Saturday.

Lucky Knickers
26th May 2011, 08:17 PM
Well done for Lewis Johnson. Cool young customer too based off his video.
Shame about Mummy but I'm not feeling dark about him playing solo. Wouldn't matter if we had 5 relief ruckman to back him up off the bench. It just takes 1 twinge and the guys' natural game is kamikaze.
Looking forward to this game on Saturday to see what this team are made of. If LJ is playing forward I hope the midfield can bring some foot skills with accurate delivery so he can kick a goal or ten.

liz
26th May 2011, 09:02 PM
Well done for Lewis Johnson. Cool young customer too based off his video.

Can't remember the last time I felt so excited about a young player debuting. Not that I am expecting him to come in and be a game breaker, or anything. I just feel that they've made him work particularly hard to get an opportunity and he really deserves his chance. Now I have my fingers and toes crossed that they won't leave him sitting on the bench for three quarters (and with Everitt out, I don't think they will) and also that Parker gets a good run, not another game as substitute.

Wonder who is going to get the roles on Harvey and Wells. Jack has traditionally played on Harvey and there isn't anyone obvious to step into the breach. Maybe Smith will be entrusted with the job, but he could get shown up for pace. Possibly Mattner could run with Wells?

robamiee
26th May 2011, 09:21 PM
i wojuld be more invclined to Reg up forward and run LRT at CHB..Clearly is a better kick at goal than LRT....but hoping LJohn is up foreward...(where has he been playing in the 2's?)
Be good to see Parker with a full game....

Melbournehammer
26th May 2011, 09:32 PM
I am increasingly worried about this game. We will struggle to hold their midfield, and I think will be chasing shadows. The only thing going for us is that their forward line is not much better than ours, but if their mids stream forward often enough it simply won't matter.

I know its an early call but i am starting to Feel a bit sick about the season. It's got a bit of a 2009 feel to it. Competitive but not much else - blooding a new lot of players doesn't really do it for me. They look like we have some depth but we are a long way from hall, Mickey o , Davis, o keefe, etc.

Steve
26th May 2011, 10:11 PM
Selection has been puzzling all year - it's as though we pick 22 players and team balance is a complete afterthought.

Last week we had 5 tall defenders in the team - yet a disfunctional forward line and and LRT as second ruck. No matter what, Grundy, Richards, LRT and A.Johnson can't play in the same team.

I think Jesse White is fairly hardly done by - he kicked 6 goals in the first 3 games, then two quiet games (Carlton and Geelong in terrible conditions) and he's out of the team. Hopefully TDL gets a go at some point, although that looks doubtful - too much concern about what he can't do (play multiple roles, defensive side of his game) and total disregard for what he can do (which is what we're actually crying out for).

We also seem to be trying to tip-toe a very fine line between blooding youngsters and being a competitive finals team - guys like Parker and A.Johnson appear to have earned a go in the seniors, but surely the likes of Meredith and Moore are better options for now.

It will be interesting to see who this week's sub will be - it can't be Parker, how can a young guy earn an ongoing spot in the team playing 30 mins each week. Using a tall as a sub is also a poor option IMO.

Mumford being left to shoulder the load without any real support has been poor management. A poorly-balanced side also contributes to us having to play Jack in the second half against Carlton when he needed 4-6 weeks off.

Captain
26th May 2011, 10:47 PM
Selection has been puzzling all year - it's as though we pick 22 players and team balance is a complete afterthought.

Last week we had 5 tall defenders in the team - yet a disfunctional forward line and and LRT as second ruck. No matter what, Grundy, Richards, LRT and A.Johnson can't play in the same team.

I think Jesse White is fairly hardly done by - he kicked 6 goals in the first 3 games, then two quiet games (Carlton and Geelong in terrible conditions) and he's out of the team. Hopefully TDL gets a go at some point, although that looks doubtful - too much concern about what he can't do (play multiple roles, defensive side of his game) and total disregard for what he can do (which is what we're actually crying out for).

We also seem to be trying to tip-toe a very fine line between blooding youngsters and being a competitive finals team - guys like Parker and A.Johnson appear to have earned a go in the seniors, but surely the likes of Meredith and Moore are better options for now.

It will be interesting to see who this week's sub will be - it can't be Parker, how can a young guy earn an ongoing spot in the team playing 30 mins each week. Using a tall as a sub is also a poor option IMO.

Mumford being left to shoulder the load without any real support has been poor management. A poorly-balanced side also contributes to us having to play Jack in the second half against Carlton when he needed 4-6 weeks off.

Agree absolutely with everything you have said.

Bas
26th May 2011, 10:49 PM
About time LJ has been given a go.

Mummy has been going flat out all year and he is overdue for a rest. Although if a proper second ruckman had been regularly played he might not have needed the rest.

Great news for Seaby. I hope he has a blinder.

Roos will be seriously smarting after last week.

Bas
26th May 2011, 10:50 PM
I know its an early call but i am starting to Feel a bit sick about the season. It's got a bit of a 2009 feel to it. Competitive but not much else - blooding a new lot of players doesn't really do it for me. They look like we have some depth but we are a long way from hall, Mickey o , Davis, o keefe, etc.

All those players you mentioned were youngsters once too and you don't get experience sitting on the bench.

longmile
26th May 2011, 11:47 PM
Mumford is a big blow.
Seaby will struggle against Goldstein; unfortunately he is one of the best rucks in the comp.

wedge.maverick
27th May 2011, 12:13 AM
Mumford is a big blow.
Seaby will struggle against Goldstein; unfortunately he is one of the best rucks in the comp.

Goldstein was listed as having a hip injury earlier in the week so we may even have some inside knowledge and saw it as an opportunity to rest big Mummy.
Just an alternative view.
Jetta has to be the sub this week.

ShockOfHair
27th May 2011, 02:12 AM
Can't remember the last time I felt so excited about a young player debuting. Not that I am expecting him to come in and be a game breaker, or anything. I just feel that they've made him work particularly hard to get an opportunity and he really deserves his chance. Now I have my fingers and toes crossed that they won't leave him sitting on the bench for three quarters (and with Everitt out, I don't think they will) and also that Parker gets a good run, not another game as substitute.

Me too. I think because he's a forward prospect who can take big marks and kick straight. You sort of feel the coaches raised the bar because they have big raps on him.

Without Kirk and Jack we're a bit light on for taggers. Could we afford to throw McGlynn at Harvey? He's tough, fast and (possibly not relevant) extremely short.

dimelb
27th May 2011, 08:33 AM
I suspect Rhyce may start on Harvey.

Snake
27th May 2011, 08:52 AM
This is just BS, Jetta is deadset rubbish at the moment and should be running around in the 2's, TDL and White must be having a chat to Sheedy and asking what they will be payed next year at GWS, FFS if White and TDL can't get a game against the Roos what hope is there for them.........

giant
27th May 2011, 09:10 AM
Me too. I think because he's a forward prospect who can take big marks and kick straight. You sort of feel the coaches raised the bar because they have big raps on him.

Without Kirk and Jack we're a bit light on for taggers. Could we afford to throw McGlynn at Harvey? He's tough, fast and (possibly not relevant) extremely short.

Kirk typically took Swallow, and the two of them would tackle each other into the ground. Swallow won't know himself this week. Time to back themselves in the midfield, you don't want Harvey running mad (who was that team who didn't tag him and he got 40 possies?) but the rest of them perhaps you draw a big breath and see how you go.

Good to see the club listening to our increasingly strident calls for some LJ love - let's hope they give him a good run with proper support and he gets a chance to show his stuff.

giant
27th May 2011, 09:11 AM
I suspect Rhyce may start on Harvey.

Yep, not a bad call if he's over his Cyril nightmares. At least around the ground if not in the centre square.

swanspant12
27th May 2011, 10:33 AM
Hopefully rhyce does play on Harvey, he would be the only player with significant pace to tag him the whole day. We need our midfield clearences to fire up thats how we lost the game last week, and hopefully if our midfield horses work with mummy doing a good job we can get over the line. Also i think we should definetly thinking about moving LRT to the backline, hes definetly not a forward.

Jewels
27th May 2011, 11:27 AM
About time LJ has been given a go.

Mummy has been going flat out all year and he is overdue for a rest. Although if a proper second ruckman had been regularly played he might not have needed the rest.

Great news for Seaby. I hope he has a blinder.

Roos will be seriously smarting after last week.

I'd like to think we may be a little fired up after our "super" performance last week also!

Hopefully rhyce does play on Harvey, he would be the only player with significant pace to tag him the whole day. We need our midfield clearences to fire up thats how we lost the game last week, and hopefully if our midfield horses work with mummy doing a good job we can get over the line. Also i think we should definetly thinking about moving LRT to the backline, hes definetly not a forward.

Think you mean Seabs

ugg
27th May 2011, 11:28 AM
Umpires
7. Hayden KENNEDY (33 wins 28 losses 3 draws 51.56%)
16. Jeff DALGLEISH (0 wins 1 loss 0.00%)
17. Justin SCHMITT (20 wins 10 losses 66.67%)
Emergency
24. Michael JENNINGS (1 win 0 losses 100.00%)

Plugger1300
27th May 2011, 11:41 AM
I say we get Kirk back form Sweden to give McVeigh and Goodes a lesson in leadership.

Start Goodes in the F50 with no one else but McGlynn. Stack the midfield ro slow the run of harvey,Greenwood and the like and let's just pray Goodes is having a GOOD day rather than the increasily familar just off day. I back our backline to keep the Roos to a modest total but am very worried that our impotent forward line might struggle to kick the required 12-15 goals needed to win the game. We need to have L.J floating along CHF with Reid - kicking it accurately to Goodes and we may just get the score required.

I'm backing Seaby in to do the job - Also making the call that McVeigh will turn his season around

Doctor
27th May 2011, 12:03 PM

Great summary. An overuse injury to Mummy seemed inevitable the way he was being asked to be our carthorse.

SydAFLFan
27th May 2011, 12:09 PM
Great summary. An overuse injury to Mummy seemed inevitable the way he was being asked to be our carthorse.

I agree also. Seaby has kicked 66 goals in 109 games and is a very handy forward option who can share the ruck load with Mumford. Having Seaby wasted in reserves or used as sub because we can't play two ruckman is a wasted opportunity.

Mountain Man
27th May 2011, 02:03 PM
As others posted, they don't play where selected, but ffs, in Round 10 there is NO evidence of a forward structure AGAIN.

Sure, Goodes and Searby and McGlynn and LJ and........Uncle Tom Cobley COULD rotate through the forward line. But why not have something established, so that the midfield knows what they might see when they have limited time, and can get the kick weight and direction already 1/2 factored in.

I don't think it is good enough to pick the 'best '22' and expect them to gell on the day. Surely structure and training exercises are what should be in place so that the players (and us) can see some pattern developing for this team. Round 10 - debutants bloodied - but still no forward structure in the selection.

CJK
27th May 2011, 02:06 PM
The one day I'm so busy I miss the team and the outrage is everywhere.

Love you ROW, never change

Untamed Snark
27th May 2011, 02:26 PM
I agree also. Seaby has kicked 66 goals in 109 games and is a very handy forward option who can share the ruck load with Mumford. Having Seaby wasted in reserves or used as sub because we can't play two ruckman is a wasted opportunity.

It's been annoying me all season, we took Seaby on specifically because of his skills as a ruckman and we haven't utilised him at all this season-celebrity spin in round one excluded.
I love Mummy and his efforts but we never should have left him to carry the load by himself.
Hope Seaby has a huge game and we keep him in the 22

aardvark
27th May 2011, 02:35 PM
It's been annoying me all season, we took Seaby on specifically because of his skills as a ruckman and we haven't utilised him at all this season-celebrity spin in round one excluded.
I love Mummy and his efforts but we never should have left him to carry the load by himself.
Hope Seaby has a huge game and we keep him in the 22

Agree... but remember Seaby too had time out this year with injuries. Again we pick 1 ruckman not having learned our lesson from Mummies injury. Lets hope he doesn't join the list of injured "One out" ruckmen like Jolly, Sandilands and Mummy.Its interesting that teams playing 2 or in some cases 3 ruckmen dont have the same problems.

ugg
27th May 2011, 02:41 PM
Reserves team named
Reserves set for Newcastle clash - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114890/default.aspx) has White and Moore but no Everitt who must be the travelling emergency.

Hartijon
27th May 2011, 02:47 PM
As others posted, they don't play where selected, but ffs, in Round 10 there is NO evidence of a forward structure AGAIN.

Sure, Goodes and Searby and McGlynn and LJ and........Uncle Tom Cobley COULD rotate through the forward line. But why not have something established, so that the midfield knows what they might see when they have limited time, and can get the kick weight and direction already 1/2 factored in.

I don't think it is good enough to pick the 'best '22' and expect them to gell on the day. Surely structure and training exercises are what should be in place so that the players (and us) can see some pattern developing for this team. Round 10 - debutants bloodied - but still no forward structure in the selection.

I actually find it amazing for a professional AFL club. I would not take a school boys team into a match without a designated Forward line that everybody was familiar with.You would drill the team on where and howto deliver the ball.Good teams have FF's that kick bags. Maybe the coaches are doing this behind the scenes but the selection suggests a makeshift set up. A true instinctive forward like TDL is not selected . Who is going to kick goals? How do we attack ? Is LJ going to play in attack or defense? Who will the midfield see in front of them if they clear the centre?I have the aweful feeling they won't have the faintest idea!

rb4x
27th May 2011, 02:56 PM
Agree totally on the folly of a one out ruckman especially with Seaby and his injury background. The scary thought is who our potential second ruckman with mummy and Pyke out. We only have Currie. What if Seaby drops out before the game. I assume the emergency to come in would be White and that would leave us with Jesse, LRT and Goodes sharing the ruckwork. I am not happy with any of those three as relief ruck let alone leading the pack

liz
27th May 2011, 02:58 PM
I actually find it amazing for a professional AFL club. I would not take a school boys team into a match without a designated Forward line that everybody was familiar with.You would drill the team on where and howto deliver the ball.Good teams have FF's that kick bags. Maybe the coaches are doing this behind the scenes but the selection suggests a makeshift set up. A true instinctive forward like TDL is not selected . Who is going to kick goals? How do we attack ? Is LJ going to play in attack or defense? Who will the midfield see in front of them if they clear the centre?I have the aweful feeling they won't have the faintest idea!

Completely agree. I am baffled as to why Longmire hasn't selected a Riewoldt, Jon Brown, Josh (non-P) Kennedy or Lance Franklin in the team this week.

rb4x
27th May 2011, 03:03 PM
No Lamb or Haren in the reserves side. Lamb is listed as available on the injury list and Haren is not listed. Anyone know what their status is?

Hartijon
27th May 2011, 03:08 PM
Completely agree. I am baffled as to why Longmire hasn't selected a Riewoldt, Jon Brown, Josh (non-P) Kennedy or Lance Franklin in the team this week.

hehehe ! Nice response but the "No cattle" excuse is wearing a bit thin. Given who we have fit and able to play you could come up with a number of forward structures that are certainly worth trying. I have suggested a few myself in previous posts as have others.

Untamed Snark
27th May 2011, 03:09 PM
No Lamb or Haren in the reserves side. Lamb is listed as available on the injury list and Haren is not listed. Anyone know what their status is?

On facebook?

dimelb
27th May 2011, 08:49 PM
This is just BS, Jetta is deadset rubbish at the moment and should be running around in the 2's, TDL and White must be having a chat to Sheedy and asking what they will be payed next year at GWS, FFS if White and TDL can't get a game against the Roos what hope is there for them.........
A bit strong against Jetta, I think. His efforts over the last couple of weeks have been a mixed bag, but he is aware of that and is working to improve. I like the attitude in his latest Jet's Journal and I hope he has the determination and, yes, courage, to persist. More power to his legs! (And his vision)

Jet's Journal - a lot to learn - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114919/default.aspx)