PDA

View Full Version : VFL Round 9: Ainslie v Sydney Swans Reserves

ugg
27th May 2011, 04:18 PM
NEAFL Round 9
Ainslie v Sydney Swans Reserves
Saturday 28th May 2011 12.30pm
Newcastle No. 1 Sportsground

The first NEAFL game to be played in Newcastle will be a top of the table clash. The reigning premiers Ainslie should provide the Reserves with some stiff competition being the form Canberra side at the moment. Sadly the end of this game will overlap with the start of the seniors game in Melbourne so a lot of fans who would have made the trip to Newcastle will unfortunately have to miss out.

Eastern Conference Ladder
Team|Played|Wins|Losses|Draws|Byes|%Won|For|Agains t|Percentage
Reserves|5|5|0|0|0|100.00%|551|129|427.13%
Ainslie|5|4|1|0|1|80.00%|479|369|129.81%
GWS|5|3|2|0|1|60.00%|452|415|108.92%
Queanbeyan|5|2|3|0|0|40.00%|495|530|93.40%
{colsp=10}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuggeranong|5|2|3|0|1|40.00%|357|510|70.00%
Eastlake|5|1|4|0|1|20.00%|386|439|87.93%
Belconnen|6|0|6|0|0|0.00%|368|724|50.83%

Past Meetings
R3 Reserves 21.19 (145) defeated Ainslie 15.12 (102) @ Sydney Cricket Ground
Patty Veszpremi kicked 5 and Lewis Johnston and Trent Dennis-Lane 4 each as the Reserves overturned a 21 point half time deficit to win comfortably by 43 points. Dylan McNeil and Mike Pyke were the Swans' best players.

Goals: Veszpremi 5, Johnston 4, Dennis-Lane 4, Playfair 3, Rohan 2, Barlow 2, Currie
Best: McNeil, Pyke, Currie, Veszpremi, O'Dwyer, Johnston

---------------------------------------------------

R7 Ainslie 6.14 (50) drew with Reserves 7.8 (50) @ Ainslie Oval
A low-scoring affair in tough conditions. A few in-game injuries allowed Ainslie to come back in the last quarter and take away 2 points. Brett Meredith kicked 3 in a best on ground performance, Daniel Currie was superb rucking the whole game and Ed Barlow provided drive from the half-back line

Goals: Meredith 3, Bird, Thornton, Johnston, McKaigue
Best: Meredith, Currie, Barlow, Thornton, Veszpremi, McKaigue

R13 Ainslie 18.12 (120) defeated Reserves 7.11 (53) @ Ainslie Oval
Ainslie handed the Reserves their biggest loss of the year. The 12 listed players battled manfully in the first half to trail by 9 points. However they struggled in the second half allowing Ainslie to kick away with a 12 goals to 3 second half. Lewis Johnston was the only multiple goalkicker for the Swans with 2. The Swans only named 3 in the their best players - Sam Reid, Nathan Gordon and Dylan McNeil

Goals: Johnston 2, McNeil, May, Smith, Sumner, Campbell
Best: Reid, Gordon, McNeil

R17 Reserves 9.7 (61) defeated by Ainslie 12.11 (83) @ Sydney Cricket Ground
Just 9 listed players participated and they put on a strong defensive showing, restricting Ainslie to only 6 goals at three quarter time. However, Ainslie kicked another 6 in the last quarter to pull away quite comfortably. Tall forwards Sam Reid and Lewis Johnston kicked 3 each. Reid, Nathan Gordon and Dylan McNeil were adjudged to be the better Swans.

Goals: Reid 3, Johnston 3, Emery, O'Dwyer, McNeil
Best: Reid, Gordon, O'Dwyer, McNeil, Linsen

Semi Final 2 Ainslie 9.11 (65) defeated Reserves 3.7 (25) @ Manuka Oval
On a rain-soaked Manuka Oval, the return of classy players Patty Veszpremi and Kristin Thornton were not enough to propel the Reserves into the Grand Final. Daniel Bradshaw kicked 2 goals and Lewis Johnston 1 as Ainslie's forward line coped much better with the downpour. Thornton was the best Swan in his comeback from injury, getting good support from the hardworking Daniel Currie and Byron Sumner.

Goals: Bradshaw 2, Johnston
Best: Thornton, Currie, Sumner, Farrell, Gordon

Recent Form
Reserves
R1 BYE
R2 WIN Away Eastlake 83-33
R3 WIN Home Belconnen 138-29
R4 BYE
R5 WIN Home Tuggeranong 123-12
R6 WIN Away GWS 87-27
R7 WIN Home Gold Coast Reserves 120-28
R8 BYE

Ainslie
R1 BYE
R2 LOSS Away GWS 68-109
R3 BYE
R4 BYE
R5 WIN Home Queanbeyan 136-65
R6 WIN Away Tuggeranong 103-86
R7 WIN Away Eastlake 94-57
R8 WIN Away Belconnen 78-52

Last Round
Reserves had the bye last week, so let's look at the previous week's game.
Reserves 18.12 (120) defeated Gold Coast Reserves 3.10 (28)
A highly anticipated game turned out to be a fizzer as the Reserves' dominance of the midfield translated into plenty of goals for forwards Trent Dennis-Lane and Lewis Johnston. Jarred Moore was the chief organiser in the middle and along with Brett Meredith and Dylan McNeil proved too strong and classy for the Gold Coast brigade.

Goal Kickers: Dennis-Lane 7, Johnston 3, Meredith 2, Malceski, McKaigue, Robinson, A.Moody, Bevan, Seaby
Best Players: Moore, Dennis-Lane, Meredith, White, McNeil, Bevan, Seaby

Belconnen 7.10 (52) defeated by Ainslie 10.18 (78)
Ainslie continued their run of hard-fought victories with a solid win against cellar dwellars Belconnen.

Goal Kickers: M.Lawless 2, Bowles 2, Hughes, Crook, Andrews, Fleming, Hirst, Walker
Best Players: Fleming, M.Lawless, I.Lawless, Andrews, Harris, Argall

Team List
Listed players
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
7|Brett MEREDITH|4|4|5|
8|Trent DENNIS-LANE|5|19|6|
10|Daniel CURRIE|5|2|2|
18|Jesse WHITE|2|3|4|Senior emergency
22|Byron SUMNER|3|1|10|
28|Dylan McNEIL|4|2|5|
33|Jarred MOORE|2|3|6|Senior emergency
35|Campbell HEATH|1|0|0|
36|Chris McKAIGUE|5|1|11|
42|Paul BEVAN|2|2|2|
43|Eugene KRUGER|5|1|0|
44|Max OTTEN|4|0|0|
45|Nathan GORDON|3|2|14|

Changes
In: Sumner (unexplained), Gordon (senior demotion)
Out: Mark Seaby (senior promotion), Nick Malceski (senior promotion), Lewis Johnston (senior promotion), Ben Haren (another unexplained absence)

A few injuries and an unfortunate scheduling clash with the senior game results in the side being a little depleted in terms of listed player numbers. The run of Sumner and Gordon will be useful but the loss of big bodies in Seaby, Johnston and Haren could be problematic. In the ruck, Currie and White will have to share the duties while Campbell Heath will most likely step in for Lewis Johnston in a key defensive posts.

Academy Players/Topups
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
48|Blake GUTHRIE|3|2|0
49|Nathan KENNY|3|0|0
50|James BRAIN|5|0|0|
52|Mitch THOMPSON|4|0|5|
53|Kane MURPHY|3|6|7
54|Tim WALES|3|0|0
?|Mitch CRAWFORD|0|0|0
?|Jonathan GOURLAY|0|0|0
?|Brendan NORTON|0|0|0
?|Jack PRATT|0|0|0

Changes
In: Kenny, Murphy, Wales, Crawford, Gourlay, Norton, Pratt
Out: Jackson Potter, Jack Lynch, Andrew Moody, Eric Moody, Daniel Robinson

The outs might be due to RAMS duties but I thought Guthrie, who has been selected was part of that squad too. Very keen to see what the 4 new toppies bring to the table, hopefully they will contribute as well as the regular bunch have been doing so far.

Reserves leading goalkickers

Trent Dennis-Lane 19
Ben Haren 8
Kane Murphy 6

For full list: 2011 Leading goalkickers - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=2011_Goalkickers)

Reserves leading votegetters

Lewis Johnston 15
Nathan Gordon 14
Jarred Moore 13

For full list: 2011 Best votes - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=2011_Best_votes)

Talking points

Dennis-Lane - Ankle injury last week hurt his chances of senior selection so he'll be keen to put in another big performance. With White rotating through the ruck and with no Haren in this week's team, he'll be relied upon for plenty of goals.
Heath - Ben Hughes of Ainslie has been one of the premier forwards in the Canberra comp for a few years now. With Johnston out of the team, the defensive duties of marking Hughes could fall on Heath's shoulders.
Meredith - A much improved performance against the Gold Coast Reserves and he has to build upon that. He can offer something different to the midfield mix, having a bit more leg speed than the current setup of Kennedy, Bolton, Bird, O'Keefe etc.
Moore - Bulldog should be running around in the midfield again but may face a formidable tagger in Robert Shirley.
White - There are still opportunities for big Jesse to force his way back into the seniors. With Mumford's knee issues likely to be ongoing, he could force his way back as backup ruckman. In addition, with the forward line in a state of flux, he may also find his way back through there

Ainslie squad (2 to be omitted)

2. John HOLMES
4. Marcus CROOK
5. Ben HUGHES
6. Jason FLEMING
7. Michael LAWLESS
8. Ian LAWLESS
9. Ashley HARRIS
10. Jesse GRIFFIN
11. Dale WALKER
12. Robert SHIRLEY
15. Robert TUOHEY
17. Dale ARGALL
20. Ryan TUTT
22. Ben PERRY
24. Rowan ANDREWS
29. Djali BLOOMFIELD
30. Jackson KEW
31. Shaun CAMPBELL
33. Alex GROZINGER
38. Mitch MULRONEY
40. Jeremy HIRST
41. Lachlan HIGHFIELD
42. Andrew OLSON
45. Troy PRICE
48. David TOW
53. Clint MATHIS
60. Jack CUZNER

In: Holmes, Grozinger, Price, Bloomfield, Perry
Out: Damien Bowles

Summary
In the past, the Reserves have begun to struggle when the number of listed players reaches 13, which is the number for this game. However, the team still has the core of the midfield intact, which has been the basis for the strong defensive showings (averaging only 25.8 points against a game) With a stronger showing by our toppie contingent in contrast to the ones supplied by the Canberra clubs in the past, I'm confident that we will come away with the victory.

Untamed Snark
27th May 2011, 04:27 PM
As always a great job. Wish I could see the game

dimelb
27th May 2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks ugg. I look forward to hearing more about this match, not least to see if Henry can continue his golden run.

ugg
27th May 2011, 04:38 PM
Our roving correspondent Primmy has already indicated she will be in attendance, weather permitting. Looking forward to her thoughts on the game.

BeeEmmAre
27th May 2011, 04:40 PM
Fantastic effort as always ugg. If anyone wants a look at Kane Murphy, he played a pretty useful game for Sydney Uni last week. Tune in at 6.30pm tonight on Main Event Channel 518.
You can also see St George's Lloyd Perris again, as well as other NAB Sydney AFL Rising Star nominees Craig Moller and Tim Barrett (SU) and David Lycakis (StG), all of which are only 16-17.

Primmy
27th May 2011, 04:53 PM
bless u ugg, knew I could rely on you

Great, thanks for the heads up on Kane Murphy. Don't have access to foxtel, but I would love other Ressie Watcher impressions of him. I think he is a gem.

Dan
27th May 2011, 05:59 PM
I will be there watching as well, but don't rely too much on me as I'll be watching Pratt for most of the match (played with him from 11's to 16's). But I'll try to give a good match summary.

unconfuseme
28th May 2011, 12:23 AM
I will be there watching as well, but don't rely too much on me as I'll be watching Pratt for most of the match (played with him from 11's to 16's). But I'll try to give a good match summary.

Good onya Dan ... no one here will knock you for having a go, I'm looking forward to it!

... great young bloke Jack Pratt, but do you think he plays as well without his "dreadies"???;)

liz
28th May 2011, 12:29 AM
Fantastic effort as always ugg. If anyone wants a look at Kane Murphy, he played a pretty useful game for Sydney Uni last week. Tune in at 6.30pm tonight on Main Event Channel 518.
You can also see St George's Lloyd Perris again, as well as other NAB Sydney AFL Rising Star nominees Craig Moller and Tim Barrett (SU) and David Lycakis (StG), all of which are only 16-17.

Hard to really get much of an impression from young Perris in that game seeing how utterly one-sided it was. Nice goal that he kicked though.

There was another Perris whose name was called by the commentators - a brother?

BSA5
28th May 2011, 01:49 AM
Hard to really get much of an impression from young Perris in that game seeing how utterly one-sided it was. Nice goal that he kicked though.

There was another Perris whose name was called by the commentators - a brother?

I didn't get a chance to see the game. Was Perris quiet in a smashed side, or busy in a dominant side?

Also, I believe the other Perris, Lachlan, is his older brother. I think he's 19.

liz
28th May 2011, 02:08 AM
Quiet in a smashed side. St George might as well not have been out there.

Dan
28th May 2011, 06:03 PM
Good solid win today, 122 to 64? Goals that I can remember TDL 6, Bevan 3, Meredith 2, Gordon 2, Sumner.
Best: Sumner, Meredith, TDL, Gordon,Moore, bevan and I also was impressed with Max Otten as FB.
Jesse White left the field about 5min in to the second quarter after competing in a ruck contest in the forward 50, I think it might have been an ankle?
Other good points, Krueger running through the centre from half back, currie competing all day and all the toppies

ugg
28th May 2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info Dan.

ugg
28th May 2011, 06:12 PM
Reserves day out in Newcastle - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/114969/default.aspx)

Jesse White left the field in the second term with an ankle problem, leaving Daniel Currie to ruck in tandem with Nathan Gordon - who can now add ?spare parts ruckman?? to his resume.

wolftone57
28th May 2011, 07:51 PM
Fab TDL another 6, it's about time to get him in the A's, how did Lamb chop go or did he not play? I look forward to Senior Selection next week.

Robbo
28th May 2011, 09:15 PM
Surely TDL deserves a go, given our lack of potency up forward.

dimelb
28th May 2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks Dan. Great to see the ressies holding form.

ugg
28th May 2011, 09:33 PM
Good solid win today, 122 to 64? Goals that I can remember TDL 6, Bevan 3, Meredith 2, Gordon 2, Sumner.
Best: Sumner, Meredith, TDL, Gordon,Moore, bevan and I also was impressed with Max Otten as FB.
Jesse White left the field about 5min in to the second quarter after competing in a ruck contest in the forward 50, I think it might have been an ankle?
Other good points, Krueger running through the centre from half back, currie competing all day and all the toppies
Dan, how did your mate Jack Pratt go? What jumper number was he wearing?

ScottH
28th May 2011, 09:46 PM
Big win by the Boys. At least you can watch these games without your heart in your mouth!!

Dan
28th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Jack went alright playing off HFF and HBF, laid a great tackle about 2 min after he came on and won the free, had a snap for goal later on but missed, and a few good handballs and spheperds. He was wearing number 47.

Other points from the match were that bevan didn't play as a backman, mainly midfield and forward. Sumner played excellent with a midfield role getting involved in a few centre setups at times and really impressed me with his tackling and second and third efforts. Meredith definitely stood out for me with his skills and Cambell Heath looked very cool and composed under pressure and had all the time in the world. Gordon pinch hitting in the ruck was interesting but I'm sure he got a few hit outs :) TDL kinda went missing in the second qrt but still ended up with 6 and I could see him really trying to lay some good tackles and pressure opponents in the forward 50. Moore also limped off during the final quarter but I'm pretty sure he went back on and he looked alright after the match.

Haha I was a bit off with the final score being 154 - 74

ugg
28th May 2011, 10:12 PM
I think that's a typo from the Swans. The NEAFL people have the score 124 - 74

ScottH
28th May 2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks Dan.

Gezball
28th May 2011, 11:19 PM
Cheers Dan. Much appreciated.

PS. Ugg, I enjoyed reading your write-up on the Big Footy Gold Coast site last week :) It's a crime you don't get paid.

Primmy
29th May 2011, 11:01 AM
Since I didn't actually get home until after 10pm, think inner city railworks and having to walk wayy more than my system is happy with, missing one train, etc etc, this is now my impression of the game.

Almost a country style ground, sloped down toward the Picket Fence, with two rows of cars like bugs watching the prey all round. Small grandstand, which we were happy to inhabit as it was raining to start. Served coffee in china mugs and expected you to return them safe and sound (never lost a mug yet apparently).

MY personal observations are

7 Brett Meredith, worked quite well, but not up to seniors level consistently, looked a bit rusty; smart player though,
8 Trent Dennis Lane, is a fantastic lead up mark and accurate kick. Problem is, most teams these days are not going to let a slightly built player get away with being a leadup mark in the forward line. I think the reasoning behind why he has been kept back in twos (other than some injuries) is to make sure his round the ground play improves. This game I would say he was better at reading the play and getting into position. Mind you the opposition is not much opposition.
10 Dan Curry had what I think as his best game. Was nearly always in the mix, actually went to ground after the ball, contested well, and against all my previous sproutings I think he could get a gig before too long.
18 Jesse White. Poor ole Jesse. He went down after a marking contest, thumping the ground with his fist over and over again. Could barely get up; hopped off the ground and crawled over the sideline, still thumping the ground. He obviously thought he had broken his ankle. I asked Jared Crouch how he was in the break (not the most forthcoming communicator) and he said it wasn't as bad as all that! footballers always thought the worst. OK, I will run with that as I have done ligaments and they hurt worse than a break. But he will have to be out of action for a while. Before that he was leaping and marking and being a nuisance.
22 Byron Sumner. Uncle was in good form and plays like a grown up. Tackling has improved and they stick. We will see him back before all that long.
28 Dylan McNeil; I like Dyl. He is in and under, small, and fiesty at times. Whether he gets a promotion in the future I don't know, but....
33 Jarred Moore; rolled something or other, was limping for a bit, but he was directing traffic and very involved. He may not be the greatest player on our list, but he is a damned good coach.
35 Campbell Heath; welcome back Cambo. Have a little hand rubbing going on here. You can see what he could be, and he could be very very good. Very safe hands.
36. Chris McKaigue; a lot of improvement is evident. A lot more is required. Someone needs to point out to him that the goals are at the other end of the ground, and not behind him. No matter how he got the ball he always seemed to pass to someone behind him. Aaagghhhh....
42. Paul Bevan; oh bugger. The problem I can see with Bevo is that he isn't standing out amongst the twos.....he should be. Its not that he played a bad game, he was doing his damdest, he just didn't play a superior game. However; to give him his due he did take a flying mark and goaled from it
43. Eugene Kruger; got some wraps I see. Not from me. He gets the ball, takes off like a hare, and then his disposal is bloody awful. Loooonnnngggg way to go.
44. Max Otten; well !!! Who is this young man I see playing down back, taking mark after mark with assurance and confidence, following up with good disposal, moving up the ground, working his arse off. And he can read the flight of a ball accurately! It was a pleasure to see just how far he has travelled in a fantastically short period of time as a backman. Not Dunks and not Alex or Lewis, but he has obviously absorbed a lot of instruction and I like players who can do that, and then put it into practice.
45. Nathan Gordon; had a crap first half, disposal all over the shop. No confidence. Turned it around in the second half and played with a lot more assurance.

Toppies:
48. Blake Guthrie; this kid has potential and enthusiasm and I would keep an eye on him as a possible. He is just a persistent pest; doesn't give up the contest.
49. Nathan Kenny; did some good things, but not obviously in the mix.
50. Nathan Brain; hmmmmmm, chicken. Got a good one here. Smart player. Tick as far as I am concerned.
53. Kane Murphy; keeper. Delivers his ball like a bloody dart, think NicMal or Stuey. And Accurate. In and under, clever, fiesty, quick decision maker. I love him.

Outside toppies:
47. Jack Pratt: local boy; looked a bit horrified for a moment or two, and then set about having some fun. Did some good things. Never know what could happen here.
51. Jonathan Gourlay: Long bodied, odd running style, leans forward over his knees, but lordy he can read the play and make some very smart decisions and execute them well. Impressed me.
55. Mitch Crawford: maybe not.
56. Brendan Norton: no notes...pretty much says it all.

Enjoyable from my point of view. Did not take their foot off the pedal even though the Ainsley boys were getting flogged. We had some boys who were plainly out of their depth but that was ok as we also had some who were well in charge of proceedings. I am glad to say that the team were very "inclusive" and involved all the boys; didn't get "swancentric" at all. Credit to them and to their Coaches; Henry spends most of the game standing on the sideline, Crouchy has to mag board. They are good coaches.

Gezball
29th May 2011, 11:09 AM
Primmy, simply awesome, thank you.

aardvark
29th May 2011, 11:11 AM
Nice wrap thx Primmy.

liz
29th May 2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks Primmy and Dan for your comments. Great to read.

dimelb
29th May 2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks Primmy, lots of detail and much appreciated. I wonder if the club takes videos for the twos, they sound like fun to watch most of the time.

ugg
29th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Sydney Swans
Goal Kickers: T. DENNIS-LANE 6, P. BEVAN 3, B. MEREDITH 2, B. Norton 2, D. MCNEIL 2, N. GORDON 2, J. Brain
Best Players: C. HEATH, P. BEVAN, E. KRUGER, B. MEREDITH, B. SUMNER, D. CURRIE

Primmy would you say TDL's half dozen goals were hardworking or opportunistic?

Dan
29th May 2011, 04:14 PM
One of his goals was from a soccer kick 1m out, but most were off leads from the goal square

BSA5
29th May 2011, 04:34 PM
Great wrap-up Primmy!

Just on Crawford, he is a bit younger than the other toppies, only 17. He's behind Potter, Guthrie, etc.

Man, I love Kane Murphy. Good to see he was back into it after his injury lay-off. I hope they give him a go as a rookie.

wedge.maverick
29th May 2011, 04:43 PM
Great wrap-up Primmy!

Just on Crawford, he is a bit younger than the other toppies, only 17. He's behind Potter, Guthrie, etc.

Man, I love Kane Murphy. Good to see he was back into it after his injury lay-off. I hope they give him a go as a rookie.

Do you rate Murphy as being better than McNeil? If not what would be the value in putting him on as a rookie?

BSA5
29th May 2011, 04:56 PM
Do you rate Murphy as being better than McNeil? If not what would be the value in putting him on as a rookie?

He's a different type of player, and with less time in the senior system. Where he compares with McNeil isn't really relevant. They could both make it.

Primmy
29th May 2011, 05:21 PM
ugg, its a combo isn't. Kind of like "its amazing how lucky you can be if you work hard". Opportunistic makes 6 goals, works for me. Hard working makes 6 goals, ditto. He sure isn't just waiting for the ball to come in, he is on the move all the time.

Murphy and McNeil are extremely different. Kane was probably born a hard nut, and he is a bit older. Dyl is a hard worker too, but plays a different sort of game (after all his father isn't in the team of the century or a HoF inductee, but a good bloke anyway who is just as proud of his son as David is). As I see it, simplistically, Kane is in and under and at the bottom of the pack, with quick decision making, quick movement, and a lethal kick. Dyl is prowling the perimeter watching for the ball to be spat out, able to move quickly and taking his opportunities, who can also kick but is probably a couple of years of experience in behind Kane.

I have faith in both of them.

PS: Apologies to B Norton, sorry I missed both your goals! I think I allocated one of them to another toppie.

Triple B
29th May 2011, 05:37 PM
Murphy and McNeil are extremely different. Kane was probably born a hard nut, and he is a bit older. Dyl is a hard worker too, but plays a different sort of game (after all his father isn't in the team of the century or a HoF inductee, but a good bloke anyway who is just as proud of his son as David is). As I see it, simplistically, Kane is in and under and at the bottom of the pack, with quick decision making, quick movement, and a lethal kick. Dyl is prowling the perimeter watching for the ball to be spat out, able to move quickly and taking his opportunities, who can also kick but is probably a couple of years of experience in behind Kane.

???

Completely the opposite for mine, including the ages.....

wedge.maverick
29th May 2011, 06:41 PM
Firstly I haven't seen Murphy this year so he may have improved a lot. I have seen him in the Rams stuff over the past year or two though.
I made the comparison because Dylan was an All-Australian at U18 level and is just a model of consistency. He wins his own ball which his specialty being able to win the ball at clearances.I would think at the end of this year if he hasn't played a game that his spot on the list will be in real jeopardy. The way I see it is that he is the perfect replacement for Jude so if Jude keeps on going I can't see a spot for him. We also have Tom Mitchell another small midfielder coming on to the list. If that's the case why would we then take on Murphy who is a year younger than Dyl but also shorter? The way the game is going size isn't a big issue but leg speed and foot skills are so unless Murphy has improved out of sight in both those areas I can't see him making it.
My view is that the rookie list is for punting on guys that are a chance of being AFL footballers not for topping up the reserves side.

wolftone57
29th May 2011, 07:11 PM
Firstly I haven't seen Murphy this year so he may have improved a lot. I have seen him in the Rams stuff over the past year or two though.
I made the comparison because Dylan was an All-Australian at U18 level and is just a model of consistency. He wins his own ball which his specialty being able to win the ball at clearances.I would think at the end of this year if he hasn't played a game that his spot on the list will be in real jeopardy. The way I see it is that he is the perfect replacement for Jude so if Jude keeps on going I can't see a spot for him. We also have Tom Mitchell another small midfielder coming on to the list. If that's the case why would we then take on Murphy who is a year younger than Dyl but also shorter? The way the game is going size isn't a big issue but leg speed and foot skills are so unless Murphy has improved out of sight in both those areas I can't see him making it.
My view is that the rookie list is for punting on guys that are a chance of being AFL footballers not for topping up the reserves side.

i am wondering if you have ever seen Murphy Maverick, I have seen him & he starred. His delivery is spot on. Other than seeing him play I also trust the resie watchers as to who is coming on. They are both talents & there will be a couple of retirements at the end of season not one. Braddy is finished his time is past as good as he was injury has caught up with him he should retire. Teddy28, is getting close to the end, as is Bolts & in the next 2 years we could lose these Goodes 31, Kennelly 30, O'Keefe 30, Shaw 30 & Mattner 29. I also think Seaby was just a top up to help our young group of rucks & he has fulfilled that role & probably will next year. He was never a star at the Eagles but a good back up ruck & we do have a good group of young gun ruckmen. Bolts body will probably tell him he should pack it in at the end of the season as much as it pains me. We have to blood the young blokes now we have no choice, so I wish the people who keep saying "keep them back it isn't time" would wake up & see that our old stars are just that and soon the stars that burn so bright will start to fizz. We need to blood their replacements now to ensure the future!

wolftone57
29th May 2011, 07:13 PM
Oops forgot LRT 28 but now getting niggling injuries

liz
29th May 2011, 07:24 PM
McNeil's main obstacle is that he is more Bird (with a smaller body) than Jack. He is not exactly like Bird but his attributes are that he can get his hands on the ball, has a footy brain, decent but not overly penetrating disposal and isn't overly quick. Nothing wrong with those attributes in themselves, but in a team that already has Bolton, O'Keefe, Kennedy, Bird and Hanners in the midfield, we probably need another Jack-type rather than another Bird-type. Not that we have one of those currently running around - Sumner is one with the attributes most likely but he's still got a way to go.

Murphy I see (at least based on the role he's been playing in the reserves this year) as more of Moore type - a small, half-forward creator who can also snag a goal or two. Possibly a little quicker than Moore but not hugely so.

BSA5
29th May 2011, 07:55 PM
Murphy I see (at least based on the role he's been playing in the reserves this year) as more of Moore type - a small, half-forward creator who can also snag a goal or two. Possibly a little quicker than Moore but not hugely so.

One of the rare times I'm going to disagree with you, Liz. I reckon Murphy is considerably quicker than Moore, over both short and long distances. I see him more as a tough line-runner with a booming kick, very much in the Jack mould. He isn't as pacy as Jack, but he's certainly not one-paced.

That said, you've seen more of him that I have.

Primmy
30th May 2011, 08:20 AM
What I acknowledge in Murphy is what I have been watching him for. First of all he is a toppie, not a rookie. And the only time this toppie hasn't played in ressies this season is when he was injured. There is generally a few toppies they play more than others, such as Brain and Guthrie. Thompson, Potter and Wales (I think still injured) are also on fairly regular rotation. After that comes the others who may only get a couple of games, or one. Some of them look like mobile toothpicks, but you can see if they have the "it" factor. Sometimes they turn up again in the following season, and sometimes they get picked up mostly as rookies (like Kruger, McNeil, I am fairly sure Nipper was in that mix too, and that cannonball Ed something, lasted one season)

I had no idea who number 53 was in his first outings in practice matches but I found myself watching him. Was impressed at the start with his commitment, ability to find the ball, his quick decision making and his delivery. I don't know if he can run quickly, perhaps what I am seeing is his ability to make on the spot decisions and act quickly. I am not sure if he can handball......but his kicking has become accurate and quick and his spatial awareness, and awareness of where his fellow players are, is quite impressive as far as I am concerned. Please also note, these are personal opinions and observations. Quite often I am right.

I agree with liz, he is definitely more of a Kizza type than Dyl is. Kind of Kizza at the bottom of the pack. and Dyl is more like Jude lurking around the maul.

Maybe he wasn't as impressive last season and not getting picked up by the Saints would have stung. He also told me that he knew his major problem was his height, and I have a picture to prove he is not by an inch or so any taller than me in low shoes, and I am 5'6. He obviously has the heart and willingness and intent and belief but not arrogant with it. He is a pleasure to watch.

ugg
30th May 2011, 02:35 PM
Wales (I think still injured)

I see a T.Wales listed as BOG for Pennant Hills. I'm pretty sure that's him unless there's another T.Wales at the Demons in line with the Brandon Jack/Brant Jack fiasco.

And while we're on the subject of topups, I see the NSW/ACT U18 Rams are playing next week so we won't have access to a lot of Academy players including Potter, Guthrie, Lynch, Robinson, Pratt, Gourlay, the Moody brothers, Jack, Wray (although the last 2 haven't seen action as toppies this year)

Primmy
30th May 2011, 02:59 PM
Tim (my new best friend Tim) did say he played for PH, so whoohoo for him!

Wouldn't mind seeing the Moody boys again, and I haven't seen Jack at all.

ugg
30th May 2011, 03:02 PM
I've been trying to come up with nicknames for the Moody bros, how about Jake and Elroy?

BSA5
30th May 2011, 03:41 PM
I see a T.Wales listed as BOG for Pennant Hills. I'm pretty sure that's him unless there's another T.Wales at the Demons in line with the Brandon Jack/Brant Jack fiasco.

And while we're on the subject of topups, I see the NSW/ACT U18 Rams are playing next week so we won't have access to a lot of Academy players including Potter, Guthrie, Lynch, Robinson, Pratt, Gourlay, the Moody brothers, Jack, Wray (although the last 2 haven't seen action as toppies this year)

Any idea if this game is being recorded for footage material?

Also, it won't be the entire squad that is playing. It wouldn't surprise me to see a few of the younger ones (Robinson, Jack, A.Moody, Wray, maybe Gourlay) not make the cut for the final team, so we may be able to play them. It would be great to see mini-Jack running around in the red and white!

Also, Jake and Elroy, nice. Though Eric will have to be Elroy; Andrew, Jake. Otherwise the heights are all wrong.

Another option is M1 and M2. Or if one of them turns out to be good, the other a spud, "good Mood" and "bad Mood".

ugg
30th May 2011, 07:04 PM
Any idea if this game is being recorded for footage material?

Also, it won't be the entire squad that is playing. It wouldn't surprise me to see a few of the younger ones (Robinson, Jack, A.Moody, Wray, maybe Gourlay) not make the cut for the final team, so we may be able to play them. It would be great to see mini-Jack running around in the red and white!

I read somewhere on afl.com that all matches would be available on their Bigpond Video thingy. Also, given the match is at BOP, wouldn't they have the whole squad there watching?

Also, Jake and Elroy, nice. Though Eric will have to be Elroy; Andrew, Jake. Otherwise the heights are all wrong.

Another option is M1 and M2. Or if one of them turns out to be good, the other a spud, "good Mood" and "bad Mood".
I laughed. Ah ye of little faith, you should have suggested "good Mood" and "better Mood"!

Triple B
30th May 2011, 07:10 PM
ugg, when is the game?

ugg
30th May 2011, 07:14 PM
Saturday afternoon 2.35pm Blacktown Olympic Park
NSW/ACT v Vic Metro

The only 'home' game for the RAMS. If I didn't have a prior commitment lined up, I might have headed over there for a look.

NAB AFL Under 18 Championships - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/nab%20under%2018s/tabid/276/default.aspx?cid=aflpromo_strip_u18s)

Triple B
30th May 2011, 07:19 PM
Thx ugg.

Unless it is just a cold, miserable rainy day and home in front of the heater watching the Cats finish the Bulldogs season and Eade's career appears a better option, I reckon I just may pop over and have a look.

Edit: Checked your link and saw it's a double header with SA v Qld at 10am. I'd say I'm about 95%, should be a great day of footy.

unconfuseme
31st May 2011, 12:37 AM
The RAMS side is finalised for Blacktown on Saturday - Jackson Potter, Jonathon Gourlay, Blake Guthrie, Eric Moody and Jack Lynch have all been selected in the 22 - big test first up against Vic Metro.

This is an interesting link to u18 video preview and updates - good bit on Tom Mitchell also

AFL Videos - AFL match replays - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/default.aspx?contentid=357599#playvideo)

In between the two u18's Championship games on Saturday is the NEAFL GWS v Suns game - that will be like the half time Auskickers I guess!

Seriously though, between GWS/Suns/RAMS/Vic Metro, there will be a lot of the top 17 & 18 y.o. talent on show.

Just on Kane Murphy, he was always an excellent intuitive player, but small. I reckon he has put on 10 kilos of muscle coming into 2011, and this has added another dimension to his game.

Similarly, the u/18's toppies mentioned above were mostly skinny speed humps last season when they were used ... they too have grown (as teenagers do) and individually they have rarely been beaten by their mature bodied opponents in the Ressies games this season.

Consequently their involvement and confidence grows accordingly. Their improvement and acceptance by the listed players is the difference between the consistent performances of the Ressies this year and their yo yo performances, and eventual decline last year.

Henry and co are doing a great job, but I had a lot of time for Frostie, and feel a bit sorry for him. He had a tough gig last year, but did a fantastic job preparing first and second year players to step up to seniors, and saw a bunch of them go within a kick of a prelim final ... and really THAT is the ressies coaches job ... still I would not blame him if he was looking on now with just a touch of envy!

ugg
31st May 2011, 07:03 PM
Playfair lauds reserves? ferocity - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/115182/default.aspx)

Some pics here
http://www.ainsliefootball.com/content/round-9-senior-and-round-6-junior-results

Primmy
31st May 2011, 10:58 PM
Classic ugg. Its number 53 in the middle pic and you can see what I mean by him being a bit small....of course some optiical illusion, but...

giant
31st May 2011, 11:20 PM
Classic ugg. Its number 53 in the middle pic and you can see what I mean by him being a bit small....of course some optiical illusion, but...

That's pretty damn funny - #53 looks positively Lilliputian!

ugg
2nd June 2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvBlT3bH14

First 50 seconds has highlights, well 2 highlights from Ressies v Ainslie.