PDA

View Full Version : Worst win we've had for a long time.

ScottH
28th May 2011, 10:13 PM
That has to one of the worst games I've sat through.
I was relieved at the end, but so bitterly disappointed we didn't nail their arses to the side of Etihad Stadium like we should have.

Defence played well.
Midfield struggled.
Forward line struggled worserer.

Some changes need to happen to get this team back into the winning ethos.

BeeEmmAre
28th May 2011, 10:20 PM
Having missed the game today due to commentary duties in the Sydney AFL, should I bother to watch my IQued game? Was it crap enough to override the absolute euphoria of beating those pricks, regardless of the margin?

Big Al
28th May 2011, 10:23 PM
We didn't play well but it was a brave and courageous effort so i'll be watching a replay next week.

desredandwhite
28th May 2011, 10:26 PM
Watch it, Rhodesy. It is always a good day to beat North. Patches of the game had some great play.. and you know we won, so the missed shots and turnovers won't bother you as much as watching it live ;)

Mark Cas
28th May 2011, 10:26 PM
Remember '96. Always good to see us beat those pricks. Worth it to see stellar efforts by Shaw, Grundy and Kennelly and a fine cameo by Jetta.

ScottH
28th May 2011, 10:29 PM
Basically they went forward when they got clear posssession with ease, and scored. Usually minors.
Defence held up well under pressure.
We struggled to go foward, and struggled to score.
Still not sure how we won.

Oh yeah that's right a Sub named Jetta, finally got to do what he does best, run, and run fast.

RBS1
28th May 2011, 11:16 PM
Played north back into the game on so many occasions , the way the ball is coming into the 50 is a disgrace . Didn't think the forward pressure was what it should have been ball came out to easy . Not having Mumford hurts and it showed in the clearances . Thank god for the backline today saved our bacon big time ... If we play like that v Carlton at the dome in a few weeks we will get beat by 100

Cpt. Kirk
29th May 2011, 01:07 AM
Hopefully this game will prove one thing....

Pyke is most definitely better then Seaby

Panttz
29th May 2011, 01:54 AM
Hopefully this game will prove one thing....

Pyke is most definitely better then Seaby

Agreed. Lets just hope Horse sees how influential Mummy is and gives him the proper back up. Then all we need to do is get TDL in the team and get another dozen games into our young boys and get the team gelling.

SimonH
29th May 2011, 03:00 AM
Sam Reid is just quality quality quality. I don't care what ND pick # we got him at, if it was anything below #5 it was a freakin' bargain. He just has super-sticky fingers, runs to the right spots and presents all day. Promising signs from Johnston and Parker too, and Johnson #34 showed real poise and maturity beyond his years on occasion. Shaw amazing and just had one of those days out, while only accumulating about 8 possessions! Also possibly Bird's best game for us since the big injury?

Apart from those individual highlights and it being nice to grind out a win, yep, just a poor match where you gratefully take the 4 points but have to move on quickly.

Jeffers1984
29th May 2011, 09:13 AM
Any win against those arseholes Norf will do. God i hate those pricks so much and their supporters are all a bunch of dimwits (the very few that they have).

royboy42
29th May 2011, 10:14 AM
I always think back to when the saints tore us a new one during '05 (and look how the rest of that season developed) Last week reminded me of that night, and then yesterday did little to put much of a smile on the face.

BUT, a win is a win...so many new kids..so many GOOD new kids..Jack to return..Pike to come in to help Mummy, and to get another strong body around the forward line..tantalising prospect of TDL hanging over the forward line..and , of course, the mouth watering dreams that Jesse and Braddie might effectively reappear..and we are still 5 and 3 with the extra cpl of points for that draw.

Nah, I'm a glass half full man..there is good stuff to come, albeit wrapped some dreadful moments as this all gells.. we're doing Ok.

magic.merkin
29th May 2011, 10:33 AM
God I hated sitting through that game for many reasons, nut mainly their supporters!

I drink your tears north melbourne supporters. You bunch of sooking negative booing morons. @@@@ culture and @@@@ supporters. Nearly being outnumbered by an interstate team at home... Pathetic

aardvark
29th May 2011, 11:19 AM
God I hated sitting through that game for many reasons, nut mainly their supporters!

I drink your tears north melbourne supporters. You bunch of sooking negative booing morons. @@@@ culture and @@@@ supporters. Nearly being outnumbered by an interstate team at home... Pathetic

He he nice rant M+M. Agree totally they were terrible yesterday.

Big Al
29th May 2011, 11:47 AM

Yeah but what do you really think about Norf supporters. ;)

Kirkari
29th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah but what do you really think about Norf supporters. ;)

Some Kangaroos fan was sitting a few rows behind me yelling - Yeah, give it to Goodes, try something original. That's right Swans, kick it to Goodes. Hey Swans, here's an idea, give it to Goodes. - which was just about to start annoying me when Goodsey finally got hold of the ball... Miraculously, no more yelling.

ScottH
29th May 2011, 12:48 PM
They were all on the radio last night having a sook about the umps.
Even todays paper is going on about the Petrie mark/Reg high contact free, and the Mcglynn in the back in front of goal.

And Susie O had the hide to have a go at me recently when I mentioned the word Umpire. :rolleyes:

dimelb
29th May 2011, 01:06 PM
They were all on the radio last night having a sook about the umps.
Even todays paper is going on about the Petrie mark/Reg high contact free, and the Mcglynn in the back in front of goal.

And Susie O had the hide to have a go at me recently when I mentioned the word Umpire. :rolleyes:
The frees slightly favoured North 22/20. And both teams missed a couple they could have received; the one that irked me was a big shove in the back on Johnston when he was in a position to make them pay. Looks like a good kick, that boy.

Peace
29th May 2011, 01:06 PM
I think i have aged 10 years....

However, it was pretty impressive of us to stop them scoring in the final 10min when everyone was absolutely rooted...

ScottH
29th May 2011, 01:11 PM
The frees slightly favoured North 22/20. And both teams missed a couple they could have received; the one that irked me was a big shove in the back on Johnston when he was in a position to make them pay. Looks like a good kick, that boy.

Certainly was a great kick for goal. I saw a reply of it last night and it was straight as a dye!!

I think i have aged 10 years....

However, it was pretty impressive of us to stop them scoring in the final 10min when everyone was absolutely rooted...

I think we all do...every game!!

swansrule100
29th May 2011, 03:46 PM
the forward line is a mess, but i can tolerate it while we are developing youtful options up there.
The defence is pretty excellent when you consider what is asked of them week in week out, but why is LRT this pinch hitting ruck and not back as a key defender?

Dosser
29th May 2011, 04:20 PM
Just had a read through of the North Melbourne link on Big Footy and laughed and laughed! Who are those naughty Swans supporters baiting them?!?

Cpt. Kirk
29th May 2011, 05:08 PM
I reckon they are gonna be more pissed off tomorrow when fittito gets 2 charges at the match review.

1. for when he shirt fronted someone after they had taken the mark and the umpire payed 50
2. for when he elbowed jetta post tackle in the jewels.

ugg
29th May 2011, 05:15 PM
1. That's a 50m penalty, nothing further
2. As the GameDay panel pointed out this morning, if Jarrad Waite can escape punishment for swinging his leg back onto the Richmond defender's family jewels (sorry forgot his name) then Firrito will get off as well. Jetta's grimace seem to come before contact was made and was related to his knee.

swansrule100
29th May 2011, 06:34 PM
Just had a read through of the North Melbourne link on Big Footy and laughed and laughed! Who are those naughty Swans supporters baiting them?!?

they are carrying on like a bunch of idiots in so many places, eagles supporters were up and about too, we have been given three games this year apparently by the umpires.

if we are the afls love child wish they would do a better job of it all and deliver some more premierships.

goswannie14
30th May 2011, 08:43 AM
I haven't seen the game, but the radio commentators were raving about what a great game it was.

msb
30th May 2011, 09:04 AM

Their supporters are morons, we had these two sitting behind us up on level 3, would not shut up about the umpires, EVERY free the swans got they went off about! Sure some were not there but really, alot probably were and I dont see how they could argue the 50 against farrito when he made that late bump....They also started on their own team, calling them useless, pathetic etc etc. Very sweet to beat them by 1 point.

Also, what a joke that level 3 was even open, there was only 24,000 there, most swans supporters! North should of just @@@@ off to the gold coast, or send them to hobart or alice springs or mars, who would care??:)

ScottH
30th May 2011, 09:10 AM
I haven't seen the game, but the radio commentators were raving about what a great game it was.

For the battle maybe, not for spectators.

Big Al
30th May 2011, 09:16 AM
For the battle maybe, not for spectators.

I never know whether a Swans match is any good until I see the replay. Too focused on the result to worry about the aesthetics of the game.

goswannie14
30th May 2011, 09:19 AM
Also, what a joke that level 3 was even open, there was only 24,000 there, most swans supporters! North should of just @@@@ off to the gold coast, or send them to hobart or alice springs or mars, who would care??:)I stand by my belief that they will merge with the GC within 5 years.

giant
30th May 2011, 09:24 AM
Yes, Scott, yes it was.

I've lived thru some awful crap with the Swans but that makes three games in a row where I haven't managed to keep watching till the end - and we won two of those games! Playing with no confidence, no system and only occasional moments of ticker. Need something or someone to turn this on its head or it all ends in tears.

barry
30th May 2011, 09:41 AM
Horse has a lot to answer for. We recruit a forward (Johnson) as an early draft pick. We play him in defense in the reserves for a few years. Then when he gets a game he's played forward.

Perfect way to confuse a young player. Ordinary coaching. Blind freddy could tell you the positions open in the seniors this year are forward. Why wasnt Johnson played up forward in the 2's for all of 2011?

swansrule100
30th May 2011, 10:51 AM
I stand by my belief that they will merge with the GC within 5 years.

would gold coast want to merge with that rabble?

Plugger46
30th May 2011, 11:24 AM
Don't knock winning games - that's as relieved as I've been since the EF last year. We'll get some players back and we'll get better. I don't think we've played particularly well all year and we're 6th, a game and % out of the top 4 :)

dimelb
30th May 2011, 11:49 AM
Horse has a lot to answer for. We recruit a forward (Johnston) as an early draft pick. We play him in defense in the reserves for a few years. Then when he gets a game he's played forward.

Perfect way to confuse a young player. Ordinary coaching. Blind freddy could tell you the positions open in the seniors this year are forward. Why wasn't Johnston played up forward in the 2's for all of 2011?
I suspect because he already knows how to do that, as we saw on Saturday. I also suspect it's about versatility. No more one-trick ponies.

Primmy
30th May 2011, 01:42 PM
I never know whether a Swans match is any good until I see the replay. Too focused on the result to worry about the aesthetics of the game.

+1

laughingnome
30th May 2011, 01:44 PM

And I stand with you in that belief, save for the 5 years. The media deal assures 9 games a round, so for North to merge/fold within 5 years would require another team to be invited into the league. But no suprises if it happens in time for the next deal.

would gold coast want to merge with that rabble?
It worked for Brisbane when they merged their up-and-coming list with the few Fitzroy players that were still there that could (or would) cut it. Plus the F/S bonuses.

Primmy
30th May 2011, 01:50 PM
Horse has a lot to answer for. We recruit a forward (Johnson) as an early draft pick. We play him in defense in the reserves for a few years. Then when he gets a game he's played forward.

Perfect way to confuse a young player. Ordinary coaching. Blind freddy could tell you the positions open in the seniors this year are forward. Why wasnt Johnson played up forward in the 2's for all of 2011?

they all have to earn their strip. Its not a given. And the kid was really only playing his first year of the game at a higher level, and the best way to learn about how to be a defensive forward is to learn how to play down back. He could already take a safe mark. He could already kick a straight ball. He had a lot to learn about everything else. And he played hot and cold all last year which generally means an above the shoulders issue. You have ressie players who are itching to play anywhere anytime, learn and learn, like Sam Reid and Hanners, and then you have some others. I have no issue with the way his talent/game has been handled. Mature bodies does not automatically mean a mature attitude.

GoSouth33
30th May 2011, 01:51 PM
Doubt that a merger could happen....The Suns have received all their draft concessions and will develop into a very competitive unit without North players. I think a merger might test the loyalty of current Suns members who are accepting them with current colours and logo. North turned their backs on the GC a while back perhaps they will head to Hobart where they're hoping to play a couple of games a year in a deal currently being explored.

Melbournehammer
30th May 2011, 02:05 PM
they all have to earn their strip. Its not a given. And the kid was really only playing his first year of the game at a higher level, and the best way to learn about how to be a defensive forward is to learn how to play down back. He could already take a safe mark. He could already kick a straight ball. He had a lot to learn about everything else. And he played hot and cold all last year which generally means an above the shoulders issue. You have ressie players who are itching to play anywhere anytime, learn and learn, like Sam Reid and Hanners, and then you have some others. I have no issue with the way his talent/game has been handled. Mature bodies does not automatically mean a mature attitude.

I also think hes got a long way to go to become a regular. He gets outbodied really easily at the moment and is not quite quick enough to create enough space on a lead between him and the defender.

Playing him in defence may well be one of the ways to teach him how to outbody bigger players who may be slower at the NEAFL level than at AFL.

he reminds me a little of jason heatley circa 1997 - if you can get the ball in his hands he'll kick you a goal but you need to get it into his hands

Nich
30th May 2011, 02:25 PM
He'll need to work on his pace as well. It will all improve as his body gets stronger and more mature though. Facts are he turned 20 2 months ago. We have to remind ourselves sometimes, well I do anyway!

ShockOfHair
30th May 2011, 02:35 PM
Sure, we were rubbish, but North were a complete flop, the umpires were fabulously unpredictable and North fans are spewing. Lots of positives.

Hartijon
30th May 2011, 03:04 PM
To me the win showed we are one of the best teams around at defending a lead.Heroic defense again down to the wire.Well done backline and followers

It also showed we lack any potency in attack. We can't kick a decent lead. Our lack of forward structure was partly addressed with LJ at FF as raw as he is. Persist with this and with Reid at CHF and by this time next year we will have a potent forward line. Add TDL to the pocket and we are in business.If we don't settle the forward structure down expect to get slaughtered by any top 4 team and some othere too.Thank God for Mc Glynne!

It showed we have some good players who give their best regardless of the score.It showed LRT is not a ruckman or forward. It showed Goodes is having problems above the shoulders with his play.It showed North are rubbish.

It showed that if you choose the right sub,it can win you the game

BSA5
30th May 2011, 03:26 PM
There have been a lot of "very bad wins" this year. To be honest, I think this is a good thing. A number of times, we've found a way to win when it didn't seem possible. This can't be understated. 2005 followed a similar pattern, getting back into games when we really shouldn't have. We lost that ability in 07-09, and in fact it turned into the opposite: we couldn't win a close game no matter how we hard we tried. In 2010 we won a couple. But in 2011, suddenly, we've found a way to save games, to not get run down, to protect our lead, or stage a come back, and at least scrape a draw.

To me, this is the sign of a good team. Not necessarily a good team right at this second, but a team that will be good sooner rather than later.

goswannie14
30th May 2011, 03:30 PM
And I stand with you in that belief, save for the 5 years. The media deal assures 9 games a round, so for North to merge/fold within 5 years would require another team to be invited into the league. But no suprises if it happens in time for the next deal.That could be Tassie, or the other option is North relocates to there. Either way, I can't see them survivng as North melbourne..

ShockOfHair
30th May 2011, 04:08 PM
There have been a lot of "very bad wins" this year. To be honest, I think this is a good thing. A number of times, we've found a way to win when it didn't seem possible. This can't be understated. 2005 followed a similar pattern, getting back into games when we really shouldn't have. We lost that ability in 07-09, and in fact it turned into the opposite: we couldn't win a close game no matter how we hard we tried. In 2010 we won a couple. But in 2011, suddenly, we've found a way to save games, to not get run down, to protect our lead, or stage a come back, and at least scrape a draw.

To me, this is the sign of a good team. Not necessarily a good team right at this second, but a team that will be good sooner rather than later.

So true. Amazing how many 'lucky' close shaves top sides get away with.

old blood
30th May 2011, 04:12 PM
Not a good sign for Seaby when LRT was preferred during those last frantic few minutes.

I've never been a big wrap for Craig Bird and I rarely see much positive comment about him, but I think his last few games as a tagger have been excellent. His lack of pace is still a worry but he reads the play like a book.

Xie Shan
30th May 2011, 06:08 PM
The only thing is, while it's encouraging that we've found a way to fight back in the close ones, we have had a bit of luck from the umpires in the games we have won, which we didn't get before. Though maybe the good sign is that we were close enough on the scoreboard to be able to take advantage of those sorts of things. I don't know. Either way while I think we have the makings of a good team I am still far from convinced about us.

Nich
30th May 2011, 06:36 PM
Either way while I think we have the makings of a good team I am still far from convinced about us.

My saving grace is that almost everytime i've thought the same they've turned it around in the coming weeks. We'll take a hit here or there but I still think we are easily a top 8 side with great defence who on their day can pull a good win out. Saturday was very unconvincing but this has happened before.

giant
30th May 2011, 07:43 PM
Sure, we were rubbish, but North were a complete flop, the umpires were fabulously unpredictable and North fans are spewing. Lots of positives.

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved that bit!

msb
31st May 2011, 11:40 AM

Doubtful IMO, but tassie would be the ideal place for them to relocate to, they are already wanting to play some games in hobart.

aardvark
31st May 2011, 11:52 AM
Doubtful IMO, but tassie would be the ideal place for them to relocate to, they are already wanting to play some games in hobart.

If that happened we would have 9 Vic sides and 9 Interstate sides. It could be ideal for 2 conferences.....

Matty10
31st May 2011, 01:01 PM
If that happened we would have 9 Vic sides and 9 Interstate sides. It could be ideal for 2 conferences.....

I can't tell if you are being serious.

A conference split based on Vic sides and the rest would ruin the league in my opinion.

top40
31st May 2011, 01:33 PM
Missing from the team was last year's 1st and 2nd placed players in the B&F, Jack and Mumford. Surely if they both played, the Swans would have won by 4 to 6 goals

aardvark
31st May 2011, 03:08 PM
I can't tell if you are being serious.

A conference split based on Vic sides and the rest would ruin the league in my opinion.

Semi serious. Just wondering if that's the way the AFL might be thinking. It would certainly be a massive change.

Kanga
31st May 2011, 03:15 PM
That could be Tassie, or the other option is North relocates to there. Either way, I can't see them survivng as North melbourne..

Just as South Melbourne survived hey??

Frog
31st May 2011, 03:25 PM
Just as South Melbourne survived hey??
I hate to tell you, but just in case you have been hiding under a rock or you've been hopping around in the outback, South Melbourne didn't survive. Neither did Fitzroy. And neither will North Melbourne (or the Kangaroos). The AFL puts too much emphasis on corporate followers now ... and North Melbourne is just not popular ... You should have moved years ago.