PDA

View Full Version : My View on the 1st Quarter and a Bit

robbieando
23rd February 2003, 07:04 AM
Yes the first quarter and a bit, I'm not joking I mean I only watched the 1st Quarter and a bit before falling asleep on the couch before having to rush off to work.

In what I saw I wasn't too upset with, sure we were killed but the signs are good if you take into account that we were without at least 7 first team players.

My views on what I saw are below.

- McPherson and Kirk should not be allowed need the senior side again and I mean never ever again. They just don't have football brains that would set them apart from your normal AFL player. Let them top up their retirement fund for this season and let them go. Let them lead the 2nds for a year to at least show the young players how to attack a football, other than that they are really not good for anything.

- Schnider/Thewlis/Ablett are going to play a fair bit of senior footy late in the season. These kids have something, I like the look of them, bulk them up some more and we have a few good players to add to the team. Some of their play was fanatsic.

- Our defence will struggle without Dunks but first we must see what our best defence can do. Schabule is not my favoutie option for FB, but he is our best option at the moment. Lynch is a hack in term of the stuff he is allowed to get away with, first Drugs, now hitting defenders. Were the umps even looking the game or were they too busy watching themselves in their new get up on the big screen??? Our defence will benefit from having Saddington, Barry, Seymour and LRT in it. Last night it looked bad but go up against the best with only 2 real defenders and your looking for problems.

- The forwards well Stevens did well, but he and Hall can't do it alone, we need the others to step up. Magic and Davis will help.

- The midfield is going to be our major problem area all year I think. It will put the defence under heaps of pressure at times which just won't help us.

- The future does look bright with our young kids but for god sack put Menklejohn on the list because Goodes can't do it alone and Doyle and Ball are already battling injuries.

I don't read to much in to pre season matches but last night gave me a few positives. I know we won't be like this with a full side in, but if we had a really bad run with injuries god help us.

Ajn
23rd February 2003, 02:48 PM
Agree with most of that! Special mentions also to J.Bolton, Williams and Powell who showed us a bit of ticker.

SWANSBEST
23rd February 2003, 05:27 PM
I agree with Robbieando re Meikljohn. Last week against Essendon he played a solid game yet this week he does not get a run and Goddes who I believe is really a ruck rover has to ruck on his own for the whole match. Adam tried his heart out against superior numbers but badly needed support.
Ball and Doyle seem very injury prone. Will Ball ever play again? He missed all last season and still is not right. What is going on?
Last week Meiklejohn looked a lot better than some players who received the nod against Brisbane. Could some one "please explain"'

redunderthebed
23rd February 2003, 08:26 PM
i struggle with the answer for our defense.
i do think Saddo and Seymour ( only if he is 100% fit ) will help but Barry and LRT ain't gonna solve the weakness.Schauble is slow and struggles to read the play and is better suited to CHB so the FB position is a major weakness . Warfe ain't the answer and 'THE NEW ' Bolton lacks size and skill for a major position.I like Ben Mathews but he is also not a key position player.
I think Roos will alternate Schauble with Seymour and this may work but we have a major weakness here...come back Dunks .