PDA

View Full Version : Please, please, please drop Tadhg

sharp9
25th June 2011, 11:18 PM
Enough is enough. Send a message. Build a modern team

ScottH
25th June 2011, 11:20 PM
He made a couple blues. one telling one.
But was pretty solid, I thought.

Big Al
25th June 2011, 11:25 PM
I think he's been solid in the games he's played and quite frankly don't get the drop him posts we get each week.

ScottH
25th June 2011, 11:27 PM
I think he's been solid in the games he's played and quite frankly don't get the drop him posts we get each week.

Considering we are missing Ted and AJ. Defence was always going to be under the pump.

Mattner was more costly with his mistakes. 2 Silly high tackles. The last at a critical time.

Melbournehammer
25th June 2011, 11:28 PM

The reason is simple he makes as many mistakes as bevan in the defensive fifty. Every single week he is responsible for one or two opposition goals.

In fairness he does ok on the other fourteen or so times he gets it

On-Baller
25th June 2011, 11:32 PM
He should have retired after last week.

ugg
25th June 2011, 11:38 PM
Nice to see the spelling error continued.

Not sure what the exact problem is but his radar is waaaaay off. Handballs, kicks falling short you'd think he had just arrived back from his Gaelic footy season! Will a round in the ressies be a cure, I'm not so sure. Just let him play through it.

Go Swannies
26th June 2011, 12:01 AM
He made errors tonight but who didn't. His rebound was excellent generally and drove us forward quite a few times. He won't be dropped and, on tonight's performance, doesn't deserve to be.

Captain
26th June 2011, 12:08 AM
They will never drop him. We have a culture of players who are 'un droppable'.

My dream would be that when Alex Johnson is fit, Kennelly should make way for him.

Captain
26th June 2011, 12:09 AM

I haven't checked through, but I hope you said this when there were calls to drop LRT

The Big Cat
26th June 2011, 12:10 AM
Kennelly is the bloke who creates run through the middle. OK he had a bad turnover but he got us more goals than he cost us. Understand the game, you knockers!

dimelb
26th June 2011, 12:10 AM
A mixed bag from Tadhg tonight. Some very nice touches, and one or two that were "look away now" stuff. I was very cranky with him after last week but his run was better tonight.

RBS1
26th June 2011, 12:20 AM
Let's just settle the @@@@ down , he's had 2 shockers in the last 2 weeks I think he's got enough credits in the bank to stick with him .. If it continues over the next fortnight then he needs to be looked at

Big Al
26th June 2011, 12:25 AM
I haven't checked through, but I hope you said this when there were calls to drop LRT

Huh??

I never wanted LRT dropped. (Scott - how do you do a confused emoticon on the IPhone)

Captain
26th June 2011, 12:40 AM
Huh??

I never wanted LRT dropped. (Scott - how do you do a confused emoticon on the IPhone)

Let me simplify:

You are bothering to take the time to defend a player who is past it and has cost us goals at crucial times, 2 weeks in a row.

When there were calls on RWO to drop LRT, a valuable player who is playing well, I hope you were there to defend him.

Auntie.Gerald
26th June 2011, 12:41 AM
Smithy, Mattner, Kennelly, Grundy, LRT were all under the pump

Big Al
26th June 2011, 12:45 AM
My dream would be that when Alex Johnson is fit, Kennelly should make way for him.

I dream of Jessica Alba and winning Lotto but whatever floats your boat I guess. ;)

mcs
26th June 2011, 12:46 AM
My biggest issue with him at the moment is the absolutely brain fades he has been having regularly all season that keep costing us goals. He still has more than something to offer the team, but if he is consistently going to be making errors that give the opposition easy goals every week, then its hard to keep him in the team. Maybe he should play a bit further up the park where errors don't necessarily equate to goals being conceded.

Captain
26th June 2011, 12:53 AM
I dream of Jessica Alba and winning Lotto but whatever floats your boat I guess. ;)

I have plenty of money and a hot wife, so have to dream of something :D

Big Al
26th June 2011, 12:56 AM
Let me simplify:

You are bothering to take the time to defend a player who is past it and has cost us goals at crucial times, 2 weeks in a row.

When there were calls on RWO to drop LRT, a valuable player who is playing well, I hope you were there to defend him.

Both are valuable to the side IMO but by your logic if I only defend one (I'm not sure if I responded to the LRT thing or not) it means I want the one not defended dropped. I think both should be in the side.

Big Al
26th June 2011, 12:57 AM
I have plenty of money and a hot wife, so have to dream of something :D

Nice :) (clap)

hot potato
26th June 2011, 01:01 AM
I Dont know where he's at. but i never feel comfortable when he's got the ball and he argues a lot with himself what to do next.
Has the game moved past him a bit.

swansprincess
26th June 2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think Kennelly can be dropped before Grundy. He left a lot to be desired last night.

Primmy
26th June 2011, 11:07 AM
Not sure what the exact problem is but his radar is waaaaay off. Handballs, kicks falling short you'd think he had just arrived back from his Gaelic footy season! Will a round in the ressies be a cure, I'm not so sure. Just let him play through it.
Normally when the radar of OOORRFF then there is a groin problem. Think Peb, even think Plugger, et al. Probably carrying something nasty around that area, and should be RESTED!!!

S120
26th June 2011, 12:28 PM
His last 2 weeks haven't been good (last week was @@@@ and last night was below par but not horrendous with one or two really bad errors). I don't think he needs to be dropped. Has been good up until last week this year. Deserves at least one more chance.

BSA5
26th June 2011, 12:37 PM
Let's just make one thing clear.... it isn't his last 2 weeks that have been bad. It's two ERRORS in the last two weeks. A single error in each game does not make each game terrible. Defensively he is in arguably the best form of his career, and he is still providing very useful rebound. He has made two errors. TWO. Think about that for a minute. And his error last night was as much the bloke giving it to him's fault as it was Tadhgs. Definition of a hospital handpass.

Tadhg is well and truly in our best 22, and anybody thinking that a couple of errors means he should be dropped has rocks in their head.

Cpt. Kirk
26th June 2011, 01:41 PM
Let's just make one thing clear.... it isn't his last 2 weeks that have been bad. It's two ERRORS in the last two weeks. A single error in each game does not make each game terrible. Defensively he is in arguably the best form of his career, and he is still providing very useful rebound. He has made two errors. TWO. Think about that for a minute. And his error last night was as much the bloke giving it to him's fault as it was Tadhgs. Definition of a hospital handpass.

Tadhg is well and truly in our best 22, and anybody thinking that a couple of errors means he should be dropped has rocks in their head.

Agree with all of this, there is a trap that some people fall for and that is actually listening to any of the free to air commentators, last night malcheski got a holding the ball decision in our forward fifty Tim Lane didn't even acknowledge the fend of from the collingwood player as opportunity, and continued to say it was a harsh free kick for 5 mins instead of talking about the game.

Melbournehammer
26th June 2011, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=BSA5;535342]Let's just make one thing clear.... it isn't his last 2 weeks that have been bad. It's two ERRORS in the last two weeks. A single error in each game does not make each game terrible.

That's where you are wrong though. he is remembered for two critical errors. Watch both games again and you will see he has poor hand passes on at least three occasions last night and one shocking kick of about ten metres which fell two metres short. The same occurred last week - he missed targets by foot and hand but we remember the critical one not the raffish ones.

I am not in the drop him camp but I do think, as I said last week that his position needs to be looked at and he should not be seen as a certainty. And I love him - but I have concern about his decision making with the press - he is looking like someone who thinks that a loopy handball will get someone out into open space but the loopy handball is simply not working for him anymore.

Cheer_Cheer
26th June 2011, 02:31 PM
Agree with all of this, there is a trap that some people fall for and that is actually listening to any of the free to air commentators, last night malcheski got a holding the ball decision in our forward fifty Tim Lane didn't even acknowledge the fend of from the collingwood player as opportunity, and continued to say it was a harsh free kick for 5 mins instead of talking about the game. Tim Lane is a joke.. It was clearly holding the ball.. We should have a drop ch10 coverage thread rather than a drop Tadgh thread.. Oops.. Ch10 have already been dropped..

caj23
26th June 2011, 03:02 PM
Ridiculous call - he might be making some uncharacteristic errors but he provides alot of drive out of the backline and is the only player we have willing to carry and run through the centre of the ground

RoosysLoveChild
26th June 2011, 03:42 PM
I love Tadhg, but his decision-making at times is woeful. Had 5-6 costly turnovers the last fortnight, but let him play through it. Looks extremely slow at the moment. Lost all pace.

JF_Bay22_SCG
26th June 2011, 04:09 PM
Kennelly is the bloke who creates run through the middle. OK he had a bad turnover but he got us more goals than he cost us. Understand the game, you knockers!

But he hasn't got the pace to do that any more. Considering his runs off half back are what he gave to the team, the one thing he used to offer us is just not there any more.

I cannot handle his idiotic short handpasses to players under pressure 20-40 metres out from our goals. They are just crazy. Surely he has a better sense of peripheral vision than that.

JF

On-Baller
26th June 2011, 05:33 PM

Lets just make one thing clear Kennellys decision making and disposal all this year has been under afl standard,only getting a game on rep these days,wouldnt make any other teams best 22 including GCS.
I by no means am saying he's not a great bloke,or really good clubman over the years just imho he's past it and the moment Rohan and Ted are both fit he shouldnt get a game.

chuckie
26th June 2011, 05:34 PM
I think Malceski, Smith, Mattner & Grundy are getting of lightly, there kicking continues to miss targets and maybe with the exception of Mattner they are also a bit soft.

On-Baller
26th June 2011, 05:36 PM
Malceski can look a bit soft at times but i thought Grundy was ok after 1/4 time and one thing Nick Smith will never be is soft.

BSA5
26th June 2011, 05:48 PM
Lets just make one thing clear Kennellys decision making and disposal all this year has been under afl standard,only getting a game on rep these days,wouldnt make any other teams best 22 including GCS.
I by no means am saying he's not a great bloke,or really good clubman over the years just imho he's past it and the moment Rohan and Ted are both fit he shouldnt get a game.

Seriously? No, you couldn't be.... seriously?

dimelb
26th June 2011, 05:55 PM
I think Malceski, Smith, Mattner & Grundy are getting of lightly, there kicking continues to miss targets and maybe with the exception of Mattner they are also a bit soft.
Smith? Soft? Shirley you jest! And I wouldn't put Reg in there either.

On-Baller
26th June 2011, 06:02 PM
Im quite serious,i last week called on Kennelly to retire and a day later thought damn maybe ive gone way over board but after having enough time this week to watch most of our games this season for a second time im more convinced than ever that unfortunately the game has passed him by.He pretty much is only valuable these days as a spoiler in marking contests anything else and its heart in mouth stuff everytime he has it.Then again this is just my opinion and find it amusing when people on a forum mock others for having a differing opinion to there's,be pretty boring if we all just agreed on everything.Having said that maybe i was a bit flippant in my response,but i value anyones opinion on here so it's all good.

Swansinger
26th June 2011, 10:17 PM
Smith? Soft? Shirley you jest! And I wouldn't put Reg in there either.

And no "maybe" exception for Mattner - the lad's courage is beyond reproach.

Ratna
26th June 2011, 10:32 PM

Totally agree.

From sitting behind the goals last night at the end the ERROR was made it was obvious Kenelly was not to blame. ROK was in 20 metres of free space on the left half back flank when the ball was handballed to Tadhg under extreme pressure. ROK was an easy target that would have launched a dangerous attack and thats where the ball should have gone instead of to Kenelly. Often the blame is put on the last player to handle the ball rather than the passage of play that put them under pressure. Such and easy game to play from the second tier of the grandstand.

I don't think Tadhg is in his greatest ever form but makes our best 22 comfortably still.

Bloody Hell
27th June 2011, 04:53 AM
Stupid thread.

Wrote a whole lot of (deleted) diatribe in response to some of the stupid comments in this thread, but don't really want to be drawn into a conversation with stupid people.

Stupid.

Sauce
27th June 2011, 12:17 PM
He just looks so slow these days.

Two things have gone from Tadhg..his hair and his speed! He has also added muscle, which he couldnt in his first 5 years and i think him baulking up has slowed him down a lot. He looks out of sorts and too heavy.

And did i mention his baldness..there are guys who are lucky they look good with chrome domes..he just looks old and ugly.

S120
27th June 2011, 12:34 PM
By these days, do you mean the last 2 weeks against 2 of the best teams in the comp? He has been fine before the last 2 weeks when we've been up against the 2 best pressure sides in the AFL. While that isn't to excuse completely such bad errors that really hurt us, he has been good all year up until his game against Carlton. Before that game he had been playing very consistently and wasn't looking slow.

Doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Margie
27th June 2011, 01:21 PM
I watched the game back last night and, in light of the many negative comments on here, paid close attention to Tadhg's game. I thought he played well (apart from the aforementioned error that cost a goal) but everyone makes mistakes.

His pace might be a little slower, but he's an integral part of the team and won't be dropped and neither should he be.

wolftone57
27th June 2011, 02:00 PM
For years we have had Marty making one clanger/game, Rhyce making a few, Grunds losing concentration & doing a Derwent, Teddy horrible by hand & LRT trying to take em on & getting caught. Through all this Kennelly was usually solid & a few times this year has tried to take em on & been caught. Just needs to realise the limitations of getting older & the young blokes getting faster. I would like to see Byron brought in for a game but not at the expense of the Irishman.

On-Baller
27th June 2011, 02:15 PM
Stupid thread.

Wrote a whole lot of (deleted) diatribe in response to some of the stupid comments in this thread, but don't really want to be drawn into a conversation with stupid people.

Stupid.

Stupid Post.Surely you can act like an adult and instead of launching into a diatribe or being all childish by name calling you could constructively tell those you dont agree with why you dont.A forum is for people to express their opinions,it would be very boring if we all agreed,have noticed anyone who seems to have a differing view to some of the long term members just gets mocked,great way to welcome new people mocking them because they dont think exactly like you,grow up and try to tell people why you dont agree with them.I dont generally agree with anything you say but i dont not value your opinion or disrespect you because you think differently than i do.

aardvark
27th June 2011, 02:15 PM
then there is a groin problem. Think Peb, even think Plugger, et al. Probably carrying something nasty around that area!

Big Al you haven't been to Thailand again have you ???

Big Al
27th June 2011, 02:56 PM
Big Al you haven't been to Thailand again have you ???

Does R Rated Video "Conferencing" count. :D

aardvark
27th June 2011, 03:12 PM

The real question is, How did Primmy know?

Go Swannies
27th June 2011, 03:16 PM

It's okay as long as you haven't pulled a muscle or done your groin. Those injuries can take a long time to come right.

Bloody Hell
27th June 2011, 04:53 PM
Stupid Post.Surely you can act like an adult and instead of launching into a diatribe or being all childish by name calling you could constructively tell those you dont agree with why you dont.A forum is for people to express their opinions,it would be very boring if we all agreed,have noticed anyone who seems to have a differing view to some of the long term members just gets mocked,great way to welcome new people mocking them because they dont think exactly like you,grow up and try to tell people why you dont agree with them.I dont generally agree with anything you say but i dont not value your opinion or disrespect you because you think differently than i do.

:confused:

What makes you think I was referring to anything you posted? ... or that I'm an adult (I wonder myself sometimes).

Don't take anything anyone says on an internet forum to heart.

Tadhg is easily in our best 22, and contributed strongly to the Swans showing. He has contributed greatly to our club and continues to today. A couple of bad handballs, that's all, doesn't change that.

On-Baller
27th June 2011, 04:58 PM
:confused:

What makes you think I was referring to anything you posted? ... or that I'm an adult (I wonder myself sometimes).

Don't take anything anyone says on an internet forum to heart.

Tadhg is easily in our best 22, and contributed strongly to the Swans showing. He has contributed greatly to our club and continues to today. A couple of bad handballs, that's all, doesn't change that.

I actually didnt know whether you were referring to me i just meant in general.

Kennelly has contributed well to the club i agree,but i just differ in opinion to you on whether he's in our best 22 anymore.

And no i wont take it to heart,i just think the more learned/older members of a forum mocking the newer for having a different opinion maybe isnt a great way to encourage debate.

But hey thats just my opinion,and i dont think whether your a good clubman or great bloke should have much to do with selection.

ugg
27th June 2011, 05:09 PM
I don't wish to comment on his poor disposal as of late, but I'm just wondering whether the forward press has cruelled his effectiveness. I was just posting on the kick-in thread about how exciting it was to see him and Malceski running through the middle after a kick-in and it struck me how little that has occurred this year in particular. Without that aspect of his game in play, he reverts to being an average one-on-one defender with (usually) good foot skills

Sauce
27th June 2011, 05:20 PM
I don't wish to comment on his poor disposal as of late, but I'm just wondering whether the forward press has cruelled his effectiveness. I was just posting on the kick-in thread about how exciting it was to see him and Malceski running through the middle after a kick-in and it struck me how little that has occurred this year in particular.

The forward press was introduced to do exactly that and it has worked. I think the forward press has killed a nice element of the game - the offensive run by a speedy half back. And people said that flooding killed the game as a spectacle..but i guess "forward press" or "Zoning" doesn't sound as negative as "the flood" which are both essentially the same thing if you ask me.

Hartijon
27th June 2011, 05:52 PM

Don't worry,your secret is safe with me!;)

On-Baller
27th June 2011, 05:56 PM
The forward press was introduced to do exactly that and it has worked. I think the forward press has killed a nice element of the game - the offensive run by a speedy half back. And people said that flooding killed the game as a spectacle..but i guess "forward press" or "Zoning" doesn't sound as negative as "the flood" which are both essentially the same thing if you ask me.

Yeah your right there in that the press is a forward flood,or even last year i think it termed the rolling flood which it seems to me to be.

And Ugg thats spot on,Kennelly's very best always saw him setting up plays and taking the game on thru the middle of the ground and this year he's maybe done that a handful of times to varying success.

Sauce
27th June 2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah your right there in that the press is a forward flood,or even last year i think it termed the rolling flood which it seems to me to be.

And Ugg thats spot on,Kennelly's very best always saw him setting up plays and taking the game on thru the middle of the ground and this year he's maybe done that a handful of times to varying success.

Midway last year the media was still calling it a zone and when we played the flood. Then someone, I don't know who, coined "forward press" and a media so hungry for a new buzz word (flood was very tiresome) has run with it, especially since the pies are percieved to have won using this new tactic. Collingwood have been playing the press for a few years, check out when they destroyed the cats a few years ago. They have been using it on us for 9 games.

Prior to the forward press it was "the cluster" or "clarkos cluster" but that didn't last long after the hawks failed after 2008.

Triple B
3rd July 2011, 12:12 AM
*cough*

On-Baller
3rd July 2011, 12:59 AM
I know ive been beating this drum for a month now but unfortunately Kennelly should have retired about 3-4 weeks ago.

There is absolutely no upside in wasteing any more game time on him,been a great servant but its time to go.

neilfws
3rd July 2011, 01:08 AM
Regretfully, I am coming around to the view that the game has moved on (in terms of pace) and Tadhg has not. Seems to get run down routinely at least once per game.

The "clanger turnover leading to goal" once per game is a new thing but that's 3, 4 weeks in a row now? Must be a psychological, confidence thing. That can be fixed.

Still think he's too important to be dropped, but I doubt there's more than another year in him.

CJK
3rd July 2011, 01:33 AM
I love how he handballs to the floor a yard in front of his team-mates.

Wait. No. I HATE it.

jono2707
3rd July 2011, 02:24 AM
Hands up of you've actually played footyin the wet. There are a lot of
experts on here who think it's easy. I think pretty much all of our guys had a
go - I'm dissapointed but playing the crows at home in bad weather is bad luck and
I think some of our armchair experts should
throw themselves in there for 4 quarters and see how they go. Come on boys big effort next week.....

Melbournehammer
3rd July 2011, 07:01 AM
go - I'm dissapointed but playing the crows at home in bad weather is bad luck and
throw themselves in there for 4 quarters and see how they go. Come on boys big effort next week.....

I'm not critical of the effort. I reckon the effort was there. I do wonder about the team structure if smith has hamstring soreness on Friday and we are aware of the weather conditions.

But I am critical of some decision making - and that I reckon is coaching. And the dinky handballs which aren't working in the dry for us to use them in the wet is really really dumb

On-Baller
3rd July 2011, 12:54 PM

Have played and coached in all conditions,i always found on wet days the class operators rose to the top.

Having said that whether youve played doesnt mean you and only you have a right to an opinion on a footy forum that is based on exactly that people having opinions,be pretty boring if we all agreed.

I dont see how playing the crows at home in the wet is bad luck,our skills are close to the worst in the league on the nicest of days,if anything the rain should bring other teams down to our crappy skill level.

Enough excuses for mine,time for hard decisions to be made.

Auntie.Gerald
3rd July 2011, 04:03 PM
I personally would like to see Shaw back in the HBF as our player to bring it out...............but without Mal, Rohan, Jack or Bird in the midfield HBF rotation we are stuck !

Triple B
8th August 2011, 04:39 PM
Bumpage...

Lucky Knickers
8th August 2011, 09:39 PM
I think playing Tadhg this weekend at the MCG against the Tiges is going to a problem.
Be interesting to see our selections this week as maybe Parker is a bit tired and needs a break. I'd love to see them take a chance on Lamb.

liz
8th August 2011, 10:21 PM
I think playing Tadhg this weekend at the MCG against the Tiges is going to a problem.
Be interesting to see our selections this week as maybe Parker is a bit tired and needs a break. I'd love to see them take a chance on Lamb.

Lamb played his first game of footy at the weekend after a 14 week lay-off with injury. Zero chance of him getting a senior gig this weekend.

Assuming all is well with his family, McVeigh will obviously come back into the side at someone's expense. Maybe Parker will make way, though personally I think the experience Parker is getting is invaluable.

I thought that TDL coming into the side not having played for a month was an odd choice, when either Bevan or Moore could have come in (and both have been in good form in the reserves in recent weeks). I am certainly not in the camp of suggesting TDL's career is over based on Saturday's game (as some seem to have decided) but one has to wonder whether, right now, he is better off running around in the twos to get some touch back.

Lucky Knickers
8th August 2011, 10:35 PM
I know Lamb is long shot. I'm excited to see him back and would love to see him debut.

R-1
9th August 2011, 01:02 AM
I get the feeling TDL has shown everything he is going to show at seconds level. We know he can dominate there. At some point the kids need a few games in the seniors to adjust and test themselves, and he hasn't had that chance yet. Whether it's this year or next, until he gets a few games in a row I won't feel comfortable judging his prospects.

I do wonder where the hell Moore and Meredith are, though.

Nich
9th August 2011, 08:10 AM
TDL's stats show that when he has strung games together, his third game has been his best one. Completely agree that he needs a decent go. Sounds like Jarrad might not be playing again this Weekend so i think TDL should stay. I agree that Parks looks tired so Mez in for Parker.

Sorry back on topic - Tadhg really needs to dig deep for another month or so and then retire. I hope for his sake he can find some strength and smarts to finish off the year on a good note.

wolftone57
9th August 2011, 09:52 AM
TDL's stats show that when he has strung games together, his third game has been his best one. Completely agree that he needs a decent go. Sounds like Jarrad might not be playing again this Weekend so i think TDL should stay. I agree that Parks looks tired so Mez in for Parker.

Sorry back on topic - Tadhg really needs to dig deep for another month or so and then retire. I hope for his sake he can find some strength and smarts to finish off the year on a good note.

Why drop Parker he did quite well on the weekend in and under which is what was expected of him. A lot of the work in and under goes unnoticed, just ask Jude as he went unnoticed for years. The other thing is you send the wrong message as the young fella has done everything right

Big Al
9th August 2011, 10:03 AM
Why drop Parker he did quite well on the weekend in and under which is what was expected of him. A lot of the work in and under goes unnoticed, just ask Jude as he went unnoticed for years. The other thing is you send the wrong message as the young fella has done everything right

He's young and if he's getting tired then a rest wouldn't be the worse thing. Rather he has a rest now than have his performance wane due to fatigue in the run down to finals where he would be dropped.

sharp9
10th August 2011, 07:29 PM
Guess maybe this wasn't a "Stupid, Stupid Thread..." maybe just a "Prescient, Prescient Thread."

Actually now that we have dropped three games we should have won (ie were the better team on the day...but found a way to lose) and there is absolutely no way we can win the flag...I'm tending toward leaving Tadgh in the side for sentiment's sake. I hate those teams that drop a champ to "play the kids" just for the sake of it. The heat is out of our season now - so let him enjoy the final ride.

giant
11th August 2011, 12:37 AM
Huge Tadhg fan and have refused to sink the boot in during recent blood-letting sprees on this site. But forced to admit that he's looking like he's really struggling atm. He's really lost a yard of pace, and watching Riemers stroll around him in the 3Q was just brutal.

At his best, he straightens us up and really gives us momentum - right now, he looks like every contest is a tightrope walk over a pit full of plague-ridden crocs.

swannielady
11th August 2011, 01:40 AM
Huge Tadhg fan and have refused to sink the boot in during recent blood-letting sprees on this site. But forced to admit that he's looking like he's really struggling atm. He's really lost a yard of pace, and watching Riemers stroll around him in the 3Q was just brutal.

At his best, he straightens us up and really gives us momentum - right now, he looks like every contest is a tightrope walk over a pit full of plague-ridden crocs.

I am also a fan of his and I can see where he is slowing up but I always say sometimes you cannot quantify what he brings to a team, just by presence alone. I cannot be clinical and ruthless where this is concerned if he is not good enough for the team they will drop him but they tend to stick with it because of what he can do and has done. I hope he sees out the year and has a good think. Leave him be.

Bloody Hell
11th August 2011, 03:28 AM
Guess maybe this wasn't a "Stupid, Stupid Thread..." maybe just a "Prescient, Prescient Thread."

The stupid, stupid comment was more of a reaction to the 3 x pleases in the thread title than the content of the thread...but I still think it was premature.

That said to some extent I agree with the above quote, and think he's had a few bad clangers in the past month. But I still think he's in the best 22. There seems to be a bit of group think in this thread were someone says he's @@@@, someone else says he's @@@@ - then all of a sudden it's a fact.

Noone has acknowledged that he seems to be playing a much more defensive role this season than in previous seasons - which may be an acknowledgement of his diminshed speed etc, he's not going to play the game like a 25yo...because he's not 25.

Alot of comments are OTT.

Bloody Hell
11th August 2011, 03:36 AM
Bumpage...

*cough*

A couple of passive aggressive posts there....tell us what you really think?!?

dimelb
11th August 2011, 09:05 AM
... No-one has acknowledged that he seems to be playing a much more defensive role this season than in previous seasons - which may be an acknowledgement of his diminshed speed etc, he's not going to play the game like a 25yo...because he's not 25. ...
I think you've got the nub of the matter. The basic problem is that Tadhg has never been a top defender, even when he was 25; he's been a counter-attacking player, and he's simply not as good at that as he was.

wolftone57
11th August 2011, 11:46 AM
I think you've got the nub of the matter. The basic problem is that Tadhg has never been a top defender, even when he was 25; he's been a counter-attacking player, and he's simply not as good at that as he was.

Yes that is the point isn't it, he has never been a defensive backman, he has always been an attacking weapon from the HB. I can remember a player, I can't remember who, kicking 5 on him one day but he was left there because he managed to get 30 posies & give such run from the backline that we won the game. But that run has disappeared and he is not a defensive backman so he has a few problems and retirement at the end of the season after being a great player would be advisable. I still think coming into the finals we need to be careful of playing players who can no longer give their all or who's effort is no longer equal to elite level. We want to win a final at least do better than last year by winning a second and give the young blokes a taste of what finals is all about. To do that we need all players and this includes Tadhg, Shaw, Ryano playing at the elite level. I don't know if Tadhg can do it anymore.

BSA5
11th August 2011, 01:45 PM
At first when he'd lost his run and was making the odd bad decision, he was actually taking a lot of marks in defence and being better than usual in the defensive aspects of that game. For that reason I thought the calls for his head were ridiculous, and I stand by that.

That said, his defensive work has reverted back to what it has usually been (occasional third-man-up spoil and nothing more), his run hasn't returned meaning his opponent isn't made to be accountable, and his poor decisions are becoming more and more regular, and damaging. What started with that funny but bewildering "solo" has turned into what appears to be full-on "football-senility".

I'm not totally opposed to keeping him in the side for sentiment's sake, but at the same time, I'd like to see him make the decision to drop himself. Either way, unless he experiences a total rebirth, I'm not sure I'd like to see him at the club next year as a player. Would love to have him as a coach/staff member/Irish delegate/Academy coach/whatever, as he's a genuine champion of the club.

Number 43
11th August 2011, 01:54 PM
Why not just play him in a different position for a change. Be creative. Half Forward perhaps.

Untamed Snark
11th August 2011, 02:42 PM
Why not just play him in a different position for a change. Be creative. Half Forward perhaps.

Water boy?

ernie koala
11th August 2011, 03:07 PM
It seems pretty clear to me...
He's playing crap footy on both sides of the ball, and has been for some time.
He should be dropped.

Melbournehammer
11th August 2011, 03:31 PM
The stupid, stupid comment was more of a reaction to the 3 x pleases in the thread title than the content of the thread...but I still think it was premature.

That said to some extent I agree with the above quote, and think he's had a few bad clangers in the past month. But I still think he's in the best 22. There seems to be a bit of group think in this thread were someone says he's @@@@, someone else says he's @@@@ - then all of a sudden it's a fact.

Noone has acknowledged that he seems to be playing a much more defensive role this season than in previous seasons - which may be an acknowledgement of his diminshed speed etc, he's not going to play the game like a 25yo...because he's not 25.

its funny but when I wrote the review of the Carlton game I suggested that his position needed to be looked at. In the North thread I said that I thought he wasn't playing that well - and although he got BOG from both coaches that day I really wasn't sure it was merited (shows you how much I know about the game...).

But my thinking that day was that he played loose all day against North - that worried me at the time - it was the first time I'd seen a side come to the conclusion that he could be left alone defensively and really wouldn't hurt you.

I dont think he is playing well. He is putting teammates under a lot of pressure with his poor disposal and he really hasn't broken loose too often this season to counterbalance these failings.

But we do have a defence which struggles to hit targets and makes dumb decisions. Mattner whose attack on the ball i love does give frees away every game in a bevanesque manner. grundy's first kick almost every week falls 10 metres short and we concede goals from these regularly.

I am not quite sure that i'd drop him. Lets be clear - dropping him is virtually equivalent to cutting him so it really is a very big decision. He was my favourite player for such a long time that maybe I have rose tinted glasses... but I think i'd prefer to see him in the side until it is clear that he really isn't worth his spot anymore.

Dan
11th August 2011, 05:23 PM
He is going to be best on ground this week and get 3 votes, and this thread can close :rolleyes:

Kanga
11th August 2011, 08:41 PM
Won't be dropped. Will be permitted to retire with dignity IMO.

neilfws
14th August 2011, 06:13 PM
I think Tadhg started on the bench today; don't know if that was a subtle signal. Probably not since he played most of the game.

I hope he takes a long, hard look at his recent games and decides to call it a day at the end of the year. He's getting run down so often now, it's just embarrassing to watch. Unless they can find a new position for him next year which involves not having to run.

One of our greats in the first half of the decade, but looks like the game has moved beyond him now.

erica
14th August 2011, 06:23 PM
Time to go, Tadhg.

ScottH
14th August 2011, 08:20 PM
His greatest asset was always his speed. He has clearly lost that.
Sad to say.

Primmy
14th August 2011, 10:34 PM
Time Tadgh, Time.

Also time for selectors to see the writing on the wall and do something about it before it becomes totally undignified.

Dosser
14th August 2011, 10:39 PM
Maybe Rohan needs to keep looking over his shoulder at training these days in case Tadgh 'accidentally' injures him... Seriously, it is so sad to see Kennelly like this - he has always been one of my favourite players. Can we make an offer to him to return home and start an academy there for us?

Big Al
14th August 2011, 10:44 PM
It breaks my heart. One of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. Has been great for this footy club but sadly it's time.

Captain
14th August 2011, 11:06 PM
It breaks my heart. One of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. Has been great for this footy club but sadly it's time.

Wow. If you are saying this then his time must really be up!

Nice or not nice, he should have gone 4 weeks ago.

Bloody Hell
15th August 2011, 03:04 AM
Horse stated in his post match that Tadhg has been down the last few weeks and they'll have to see what they can do to get him back into form.

ScottH
19th August 2011, 08:55 AM
We may have seen the last of Tadhg as a player.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/it-could-be-over-for-kennelly/story-e6frexwr-1226117819184

Primmy
19th August 2011, 09:12 AM
At least this gives him space to work things out with a bit of credibility. I hope he plays a blinder in the twos.

Cheer Squad
19th August 2011, 09:17 AM
I never supported Kennelly's return to the club after he came back from Ireland, because I thought it inevitable he'd break down at some stage.

He hasn't exactly broken down, but it's obvious he's nowhere near as productive as he used to be. I wonder if his recent decline in form has something to do with a concealed injury.

Triple B
19th August 2011, 10:05 AM
I never supported Kennelly's return to the club after he came back from Ireland, because I thought it inevitable he'd break down at some stage.

He hasn't exactly broken down, but it's obvious he's nowhere near as productive as he used to be. I wonder if his recent decline in form has something to do with a concealed injury.

http://www.reviewingtheevidence.com/covers/0312308493.jpg

Cheer Squad
19th August 2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.reviewingtheevidence.com/covers/0312308493.jpg

What else do you think explains his loss of form?

Big Al
19th August 2011, 10:55 AM

Players lose form. Sometimes age creeps up on them. Confidence levels can wane.Or he could be carrying an injury. Unless they tell us we just don't know. The fact Horse has put him back to the ressies to work on his "confidence" suggests to me that there isn't a specific injury issue.

Mr Magoo
19th August 2011, 11:02 AM
I think others have mentioned it but I think the change in the way the game is being played has really affected players like kennelly. He doesnt get anywhere near the space he used to and with age creeping up and less time to make good decisions he is struggling and has been made to look slow.
The lack of a decent preseason may not have helped either.

wolftone57
19th August 2011, 11:10 AM
I think Al has it right, players age & as we age we get a little slower each year, I know I was a very fit guy & now I am lucky to be able to crawl out of bed in the morning without any major muscle problems. forwards are much more defensive than previously but even so Tadhg has lost a few yards (I still can't get my head around that saying in metric). Courageous player but sometimes you need to know when to hang the boots up.

CJK
19th August 2011, 11:32 AM
Thank god the old donkey has been taken out the back and put out of his misery.

Should have happened a few weeks ago.

Triple B
19th August 2011, 11:36 AM

The game has passed him by unfortunately. He was never a great 'defender' in the true spirit of the term, just a great rebounding backman whos deficiencies in defence were far outweighed by the run he gave us off half back. But alas, he has lost more than a yard of pace this year, the run just isn't there anymore and he is now a liability and has been since the middle of the year.

I'd suggest his actual body is probably better now than the year before he left, at least his shoulder has managed to stay in it's socket.

Even it does come to pass that he has carried a niggle which hasn't allowed him to perform, he gave us good service last season and the early part of this, a far cry from your bleating 'A disgrace, keeping a young guy out of the side, will break down and then we'll be a man down on the list' calls you made when he returned after his stint in Ireland. That's where you are clutching at straws, suggesting a non-existant injury is the reason to justify your glass empty outlook of 18 months ago.

swannielady
19th August 2011, 11:39 AM
Thank god the old donkey has been taken out the back and put out of his misery.

Should have happened a few weeks ago.

Well lets all know what you really think!! Great player for years, hope he regains some form if not retire with some dignity. There are some supporters who value his contribution on the field and around the club. Good old donkeys done more than the donkey behind his or her keyboard!!

Hartijon
19th August 2011, 11:43 AM
I wonder if the coaches had the guts to tell him his time is up or whether they have held out the hope of a recall? 3 games left and few Finals hopes means his career is over.Top sportsmen are often the last to know when to call it a day. Someone should tell him "Its Time" so he can retire with dignity and play his last game in the firsts so he can get a huge send off.

caj23
19th August 2011, 12:04 PM

Agree with this post 100% even though he has been dropped this week. There are way too many happy to sink the boot in to a club champion

What I don't understand is why he wasn't given a chance to play on the wing or HFF where he wouldn't need to have been as accountable and his long accurate kicking could have been utilised.

I'm not 100% that we've seen the last of him, a couple of good games in the twos to get his confidence back should see him selected again (unless he feels he is done).

We also have no idea whether he has been playing hurt this season, supercoach stated yesterday that LRT has been playing for the last fortnight with a torn calf so it's certainly not a stretch.

hot potato
19th August 2011, 12:04 PM
Why he would now want to continue on in the twos is beyond me, its 6 years on since he did his delightful jig... we love ya mate, what you have given us and your lilting gorgeous accent......

Cheer Squad
19th August 2011, 12:22 PM
Even it does come to pass that he has carried a niggle which hasn't allowed him to perform, he gave us good service last season and the early part of this, a far cry from your bleating 'A disgrace, keeping a young guy out of the side, will break down and then we'll be a man down on the list' calls you made when he returned after his stint in Ireland. That's where you are clutching at straws, suggesting a non-existant injury is the reason to justify your glass empty outlook of 18 months ago.

Temper, temper!

ShockOfHair
19th August 2011, 12:43 PM
He's been mostly good since he came back but has lost form. He doesn't have a contract so he and the club have a decision to make in the next month or two.

Triple B
19th August 2011, 12:44 PM
Temper, temper!

Lol, I couldn't be calmer if I tried, it's Poets day and a great round of footy starts tonight...

sharp9
19th August 2011, 03:20 PM
Well now that Bambi's actually been shot I don't feel so good :-(
My main reason for starting the thread was that I really, really wanted a marker placed in the sand that repeated crap play, which costs goals (and games) will cost you a place in the side. I wanted to support a team that said "actually this is not good enough."
Following on from that i wanted him replaced by a player who was actually part of a plan to modernise the way we played (ie more like Carlton and Collingwood). Could be really wishful thinking there.

MattW
19th August 2011, 03:27 PM
Kennelly didn't get a full pre-season. If I remember rightly, he was already going to be late returning before he injured his knee in Ireland. Perhaps they'll give him a performance-based contract, and a chance to have a full pre-season and have another go - if he is up for it. If he tries and it doesn't work out he could, like Playfair, acknowledge the playing career is over and turn to a club role.

Dosser
19th August 2011, 04:06 PM
My main reason for starting the thread was that I really, really wanted a marker placed in the sand that repeated crap play, which costs goals (and games) will cost you a place in the side. I wanted to support a team that said "actually this is not good enough."
Following on from that i wanted him replaced by a player who was actually part of a plan to modernise the way we played (ie more like Carlton and Collingwood). Could be really wishful thinking there.

So it's your fault! Tell me he's not dead, Mr! It is soooo sad when we have to face our own mortality and, although I am not writing his epitaph yet.

aardvark
19th August 2011, 07:39 PM
Kennelly didn't get a full pre-season. If I remember rightly, he was already going to be late returning before he injured his knee in Ireland. Perhaps they'll give him a performance-based contract, and a chance to have a full pre-season and have another go - if he is up for it. If he tries and it doesn't work out he could, like Playfair, acknowledge the playing career is over and turn to a club role.

Hmmm... who would have thought someone called O'Reilly would be a Tadgh supporter.......:)

giant
19th August 2011, 10:01 PM

An excellent description! I'm actually struggling to remember the last time one of seniors was dropped to the ressies?

Donners
19th August 2011, 10:32 PM
An excellent description! I'm actually struggling to remember the last time one of seniors was dropped to the ressies?

Richards early last year, Malceski and Ablett in 2009, Davis in 2008. Not many, that's for sure.

Big Al
19th August 2011, 10:43 PM
Richards early last year, Malceski and Ablett in 2009, Davis in 2008. Not many, that's for sure.

Probably the same ratio as senior players dropped at other clubs.

BSA5
19th August 2011, 10:45 PM

Umm, last week?

bondy
20th August 2011, 09:33 AM
Umm, last week?

Haha

giant
20th August 2011, 11:30 AM
Umm, last week?

Yes, I did think of Mal but that was unquestionably injury/sub related. Richards was probably more a balance thing. Ablett & Mal in 2009 are closer to this. It doens't happen very often at the Swans and significantly less than happens at other clubs I would think.

Big Al
20th August 2011, 11:37 AM
Yes, I did think of Mal but that was unquestionably injury/sub related. Richards was probably more a balance thing. Ablett & Mal in 2009 are closer to this. It doens't happen very often at the Swans and significantly less than happens at other clubs I would think.

Wouldn't have though there be too many senior players dropped at other clubs. Still, happy for a stat guru to prove that wrong.

Senior players get to be a senior player for a reason and it would take sustained form issues to be dropped.

Hartijon
21st August 2011, 09:50 AM
Wouldn't have though there be too many senior players dropped at other clubs. Still, happy for a stat guru to prove that wrong.

Senior players get to be a senior player for a reason and it would take sustained form issues to be dropped.

"COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse has warned there will be changes to his team after the hot-and-cold Pies struggled to see off the 15th-placed Brisbane Lions on Saturday night".

My impression is that it happens quite a lot in Malthouse coached sides.Maybe not having a Gold Pass system and having to earn your spot each game and being picked on form explains their success?

Big Al
21st August 2011, 01:50 PM
"COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse has warned there will be changes to his team after the hot-and-cold Pies struggled to see off the 15th-placed Brisbane Lions on Saturday night".

My impression is that it happens quite a lot in Malthouse coached sides.Maybe not having a Gold Pass system and having to earn your spot each game and being picked on form explains their success?

I don't get that impression. In fact keeping the nucleus of a side together seems to be one of the characteristics of the good sides. From Rd10 2005 I think the Swans only made 2 changes to the side. Still as I said, happy for a star guru to prove my impression to be incorrect.

BSA5
22nd August 2011, 12:42 AM
I don't get that impression. In fact keeping the nucleus of a side together seems to be one of the characteristics of the good sides. From Rd10 2005 I think the Swans only made 2 changes to the side. Still as I said, happy for a star guru to prove my impression to be incorrect.

I think you may be confusing cause and effect. The good sides don't NEED to drop their senior players, because their senior players, the nucleus of their side, is good, which is why they're a good team.

Think of Collingwood last year. They were ruthless from the start, getting rid of senior fringe players like Medhurst, Davis (who was still on the list and got a few games but wasn't given senior roles), etc, and BUILT a good senior nucleus. That is what Horse needs to do, and in fairness to him, I think a lot of this year has been about determining which players will make the senior nucleus and which players won't. I think Kennelly has been finally sorted into the latter, which means job done, really. Bevan and Moore similarly.