PDA

View Full Version : Round 16 - Gold Coast

Cheer Squad
4th July 2011, 09:29 AM
Well, if there was ever a game with the word "danger" written all over it, it would have to be this Saturday night against Gold Coast.

I've been uneasy about this round ever since our unexpected loss to the Suns in the NAB Cup. Yes, that was only the pre-season, but still...

Putting aside our structural problems up front, we suddenly have a few key players struggling with injuries. Nick Smith's absence against the Crows really hurt. We don't have as much depth as you'd think.

We should win but I'm not that confident. Swans by a couple of goals.

Nich
4th July 2011, 09:42 AM
The reason I am concerned is that the Suns have been playing decent football but in patches, generally fading in the 3rd quarter. Sound familiar?

GC at home is going to be a massive test for us dont worry. Our failure to kick 100+ scores always keeps the opposing team yapping at the heels. Like you, I have been concerned about this since the start if the year. I don't know if this is a true statement but it seems as though certain teams really grow an extra leg when they are due to play Sydney. We need some key guys to really step up this week.

neilfws
4th July 2011, 09:48 AM
It's "the fear that dare not speak its name" - the fear that if anyone could lose to GC...

In our favour:

GC are still unable to play out 4 quarters
Hopefully, we'll be on the rebound after last week's appalling effort

Should be a comfortable win...should be.

ScottH
4th July 2011, 10:06 AM
TDL to kick 10.

Yuri H
4th July 2011, 10:34 AM
Given our erratic performance this season, I'm nervous. And (since the universe of course revolves around me) it would be so like the cosmos to allow the Suns to gel and morph into the powerhouse they are likely to become at precisely this game, whilst the Swans plan to relax and play down to the level of an easily-beatable team. JUST TO HUMILIATE ME.

Dan
4th July 2011, 10:38 AM
TDL to kick 10.

In the reserves, when Longmire decides he needs a couple more weeks to work on his defensive pressure ;)

Cheer Squad
6th July 2011, 08:59 AM
A disquieting statistic in this morning's SMH, especially considering who we're playing this weekend.

Apparently, we've had more goal-less quarters than any other team this season - 6. The next-worse team in this regard are the Suns, with 5.

To have so many goal-less quarters like that is just plain unacceptable. I hope it doesn't haunt us on Saturday night...

Captain
6th July 2011, 10:18 AM
In the reserves, when Longmire decides he needs a couple more weeks to work on his defensive pressure ;)

This.

Would actually be quite funny if it wasn't costing us games. Sheedy must be loving it.

wolftone57
6th July 2011, 11:05 AM
Well, if there was ever a game with the word "danger" written all over it, it would have to be this Saturday night against Gold Coast.

I've been uneasy about this round ever since our unexpected loss to the Suns in the NAB Cup. Yes, that was only the pre-season, but still...

Putting aside our structural problems up front, we suddenly have a few key players struggling with injuries. Nick Smith's absence against the Crows really hurt. We don't have as much depth as you'd think.

We should win but I'm not that confident. Swans by a couple of goals.

I think that was a selection mistake as i don't think Everritt should have come in. If we needed to replace a mid/tagger why not try Byron Sumner as he is going really well in the resies.

wolftone57
6th July 2011, 11:09 AM
TDL to kick 10.

If they select him Scott, he might be kicking 10 in the resies again the way Longmire is talking. He gave no indication when asked about TDL that he would be picked. He said the comp was poor & it was no indication of form. I am a bit nervous he won't be picked.

wolftone57
6th July 2011, 11:10 AM
A disquieting statistic in this morning's SMH, especially considering who we're playing this weekend.

Apparently, we've had more goal-less quarters than any other team this season - 6. The next-worse team in this regard are the Suns, with 5.

To have so many goal-less quarters like that is just plain unacceptable. I hope it doesn't haunt us on Saturday night...

just to top it off we kick the least goals on average 11/game

Nich
6th July 2011, 12:12 PM
It's like Everitt has a nominal game target signed into his contract!

"Clause 15c - Andrejs must play, at a minimum, 15 Senior Games of regular Season football through each year of his contract, barring injury." How is he getting game this much game time? Contributing 3/5th's of sweet FA week after week.

I'm scared for Saturday night. However, normally when I am scared they surprise me and play well!!!

Big Al
6th July 2011, 01:17 PM
This.

Would actually be quite funny if it wasn't costing us games. Sheedy must be loving it.

The prevailing wisdom that TDL will come in and kick us to victory is just wrong. Does he deserve a spot?? I now believe he's done enough but he's not going to be panacea for all our ills. I do believe that people see 12 goals and automatically assume that he'll do the same at AFL level. Wish it were true but it's not going to happen. He'll be an important part of our forward line going forward but what we really need is a power forward (Please Jesse step up) that allows the small forwards of the world to do their thing.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 01:20 PM
We're a proud club and I'd imagine the boys will be hurting a bit after last weeks poor performance. The Suns will be competitive with us for awhile but we should kick away and record a comfortable win.

Swans by 45

swansrule100
6th July 2011, 01:23 PM
if they dont win then dont bother coming back home!

longmile
6th July 2011, 06:09 PM
I reckon after last weeks upset loss and just our general s*** playing we will bounce back and give them a caning

Melbourne_Blood
6th July 2011, 06:25 PM
We will probably get caned in the centre clearances department ( the Suns are actually doing really well in this department, clearly we aren't) , but we should be able to defend well against their forwards , and we should be able to kick goals against their defenders. We should win by 7 goals or so, but this would mean we'd have to keep the suns to 4 ( intended as joke, but painfully true)

Jewels
6th July 2011, 07:10 PM
I reckon after last weeks upset loss and just our general s*** playing we will bounce back and give them a caning

My thoughts also.

Bloody Hell
7th July 2011, 01:48 AM
The prevailing wisdom that TDL will come in and kick us to victory is just wrong.

I don't think anyone thinks he's going to come in and kick 10, but most would think he would come in and kick 2 or 3...or if he has a good day 4 or 5. Take some focus off the other forward options and provide some chances up forward for others. Who else on the list can do that?

Big Al
7th July 2011, 07:59 AM
I don't think anyone thinks he's going to come in and kick 10, but most would think he would come in and kick 2 or 3...or if he has a good day 4 or 5. Take some focus off the other forward options and provide some chances up forward for others. Who else on the list can do that?

Did he do this in the 2 games played against the Tigers and Brisbane?

TDL has had issues with fitness and work rate and I fully support the coaches in what they are trying to do with him. I've seen with own eyes his improvement in both these areas which I give him credit for. I think he should be picked this week but with the guys coming back from injury I'm not sure whether he will be. Most probably against Freo at the SCG.

giant
7th July 2011, 08:41 AM

+ 1. Besides, I'm going along so they'll want to put on a show.

msb
7th July 2011, 11:42 AM
I dont even want to think about the possibility of dropping this game....like others though I am nervous. I think back to how the suns played against geelong up there a few weeks back, they were on fire in the first half. They couldnt run out the game of course but if they can somehow put 4 qts together playing like that we are in for a tough night. It is a must win game for us in the context of the finals etc, I think we can get the job done by about 5 goals.

Plugger1300
7th July 2011, 12:05 PM

I can assure you without looking at stats we would lead this stat for the last 10 years. It is what aggreivates me the most watching the Swans. The amount of qtrs i have sat through and we haven't kicked a goal, even when we are dominating.