PDA

View Full Version : Best Swan to wear number 4

Frog
19th August 2011, 09:02 PM
We seem to be fixated on bad news this week, so I figured it was my turn - Moving right along ... "Best Swan to wear number 4?"

Merv Neagle? Dean McRae? The current incumbent Dan Hanneberry? Or our Man-mountain favourite Tony Lockett? And how many of those that are picking the latter actually caned the decision of the club to get him to Sydney?

Cheat sheet is here www.redandwhiteonline.com (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=numbers)

Frog
19th August 2011, 09:04 PM
Lockett for mine, daylight second ... It has been a privilege to have seen him in Red and White.

Big Al
19th August 2011, 09:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uosZlb3YH-A

Big Al
19th August 2011, 09:16 PM
Some of my great footy memories that I'll take to my grave were provided by this gentlemen. I was there at the 96 Prelim and I was there when he kicked 1300.

He was a player who could mark like a power forward but move with the speed of a small forward and all at well over 100kg. He was a wonderful kick at goal with a technique that
all modern players should follow. Add the intimidation factor and you had the perfect footballer. There was only One Tony Lockett and I feel utterly privileged I got to see him play and feel blessed he played for our club.

Having said that it was a close call with Ben Matthews. There wasn't much in it.

erica
19th August 2011, 09:33 PM
I'll never forget a fully-packed SCG crowd singing "There's only one Tony Lockett". Amazing day at the footy.

Lucky Knickers
19th August 2011, 10:31 PM
Ernie Barber, Ron Hillis and Benny Matthews were all Premiership players so they went alright and very important to the club! Unfortunately our #4 (if we had one) in 1909 is not mentioned.
I have pretty high hopes Dan Hannebery will equal the feats of the above.
But Plugger was a one of a kind.

goswannie14
19th August 2011, 11:26 PM
Plugger has to be the one....at this stage. I reckon Dan Han will surpass him by the end of his career.

dimelb
19th August 2011, 11:49 PM
Lockett for mine, daylight second ... It has been a privilege to have seen him in Red and White.
Yes. Definitely.

Wardy
20th August 2011, 02:02 PM
As Erica said "there is only one" - Plugger by a gazillion miles!!!!! I watched him play at Moorabin for the Saints and experienced the jubilation of Saints supporters when he tioed for the Brownlow with John Platten - he was da man!

laughingnome
20th August 2011, 04:25 PM
Plugger was a total dominator. It wasn't just his size and speed over 20 meters, but his team nous. As the game changed to put greater focus on the second forward he proved to be a great master, drawing extra defenders and still laying off to the open man instead of seeking his own glory. The old videos of he and Micky in the late 90's are devestating to watch. But apart from watching him lay waste to Fitzroy, or breaking the 1300, or The Point, or the final game with the song chanted by a full SCG.......

I'll alwyas remember Peter Carey realising he was between a rampaging Lockett and the ball, and falling to the ground so the big man could leap over him, which he did as he marked the bullet pass.

Primmy
20th August 2011, 04:37 PM
Gave me a heap of happy memories. Tony I mean. Plugger to all. Had one of the two best hugs of life from that man. And he could play a bit too.

Dosser
20th August 2011, 07:29 PM
What? No love for Ben Doolan? Dont you realise that between him and Plugger they kicked more than 1300 goals?

swannielady
20th August 2011, 09:16 PM
Some of my great footy memories that I'll take to my grave were provided by this gentlemen. I was there at the 96 Prelim and I was there when he kicked 1300.

He was a player who could mark like a power forward but move with the speed of a small forward and all at well over 100kg. He was a wonderful kick at goal with a technique that
all modern players should follow. Add the intimidation factor and you had the perfect footballer. There was only One Tony Lockett and I feel utterly privileged I got to see him play and feel blessed he played for our club.

Having said that it was a close call with Ben Matthews. There wasn't much in it.

Very well said Al, I too was there at the 96 Preliminary final and when Plugger kicked his 1300 goals. Very very exciting and he was a great pleasure to watch. Incredible aura around this man.

GongSwan
20th August 2011, 09:32 PM
Lockett, best I've seen, before the 80's I wouldn't lnow

BSA5
20th August 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm hoping it will be Hanners.

ScottH
20th August 2011, 10:36 PM
Some angry fat bloke, who could kick straight.

Big Al
20th August 2011, 10:37 PM
Some angry fat bloke, who could kick straight.

Thanks Scott but I wore 6 when i played.

Primmy
21st August 2011, 12:02 AM
YOU played???

Big Al
21st August 2011, 12:25 AM
YOU played???

Well yeah, I was the Premiership Ruckman (kicked the winning goal in the Grand Final) for the Campbelltown Swans under nines. Should be in Wikipedia somewhere.

aardvark
21st August 2011, 11:37 AM
Well yeah, I was the Premiership Ruckman (kicked the winning goal in the Grand Final) for the Campbelltown Swans under nines. Should be in Wikipedia somewhere.

Nice:adore

Dosser
21st August 2011, 11:44 AM

Wanna coach the Swans?

Big Al
21st August 2011, 01:04 PM
Wanna coach the Swans?

If losing every game is your aim then sure, I'd be an option. A forward press is a brand of iron isn't it? I thought a spread from a stoppage was a new method of making vegemite.