PDA

View Full Version : Today in history. 29th August

Doctor J.
29th August 2011, 06:37 PM
Thirty years ago, on this day.

Saturday the 29th August 1981, round 22 of the 1981 season was completed with South Melbourne losing to North Melbourne by 33 pts in front of just under 8,500 fans. The match was an insignificant game having no impact on the make up of the finals for that year. North would finish 8th and South would finish 9th. What was significant was it was the last time South Melbourne would play a home game at its Lake Oval base that had been its home for over 100 years.

The team that ran out that day contained names that would go on to become household names for the soon to be relocated club. Players such as David Ackerly, Mark Browning, Dennis Carroll, Silvio Foschini, Colin Hounsell, Paul Morwood, Ian Roberts, Barry Round, Brett Scott, Greg Smith, Stephen Wright.

From records only just under 8,500 attended this game. A somewhat underwhelming farewell to AFL football at the Lake Oval.

toothy76
29th August 2011, 06:43 PM
I wonder how different the crowd numbers would have been if the decision to relocate was made earlier and fans KNEW it would be their last chance to see the Swans at South.

As an aside, I always find it slightly amusing that the ground near the SCG that the Swans sometimes use for training is alled the Lakeside Oval. Was this always its name or did the name change as a result of a club initiative?

Kirkari
29th August 2011, 06:59 PM
I wonder how different the crowd numbers would have been if the decision to relocate was made earlier and fans KNEW it would be their last chance to see the Swans at South.

As an aside, I always find it slightly amusing that the ground near the SCG that the Swans sometimes use for training is alled the Lakeside Oval. Was this always its name or did the name change as a result of a club initiative?

I think it's official name is Moore Park East. But there is a lake. And an oval. BTW, there are now lights on it so the Academy players don't have to train in the dark next year!

ScottH
29th August 2011, 08:47 PM
Here are the stats from that game!!

AFL Tables - South Melbourne v North Melbourne - 29-Aug-1981 - Match Stats (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1981/121619810829.html)

neilfws
29th August 2011, 10:50 PM
The Lake Oval Wikipedia page:

Lake Oval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Oval)

states that the old stand is being refurbished as part of a sports institute. Any Melbourne people know anything more recent? Is this underway?

aardvark
30th August 2011, 02:53 PM
The Lake Oval Wikipedia page:

Lake Oval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Oval)

states that the old stand is being refurbished as part of a sports institute. Any Melbourne people know anything more recent? Is this underway?

http://www.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/our-projects/our-current-projects/state-sports-facilities

There are pics here of the old grandstand......and current redevelopment

Ruck'n'Roll
30th August 2011, 04:52 PM
I think this year is the 130th anniversary of our 1st premiership

chunksngravy
30th August 2011, 05:02 PM
http://www.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/our-projects/our-current-projects/state-sports-facilities

There are pics here of the old grandstand......and current redevelopment
Thankyou Aardvark, they certainly look like they will be spruicing the old Grandstand up. The poor old Dame has been looking sad and sorry for many years. I can't believe it has been 30 years but I'm sure there are many people lurking on this site who remember playing kick to kick after the siren while the old ladies sat in that stand with their rugs and thermoses swapping scones and trying to get Harry Beitzel clearer on the tranny after a great afternoon of footy. With the sun going down over the city and a fresh breeze off the lake on a bright winters evening, there was nowhere better to be in the world. Lets hope they don't spruce it up too much and loose its charm.

Dooloo
30th August 2011, 05:52 PM
Thankyou Aardvark, they certainly look like they will be spruicing the old Grandstand up. The poor old Dame has been looking sad and sorry for many years. I can't believe it has been 30 years but I'm sure there are many people lurking on this site who remember playing kick to kick after the siren while the old ladies sat in that stand with their rugs and thermoses swapping scones and trying to get Harry Beitzel clearer on the tranny after a great afternoon of footy. With the sun going down over the city and a fresh breeze off the lake on a bright winters evening, there was nowhere better to be in the world. Lets hope they don't spruce it up too much and loose its charm.

Ahh the memories. Used to love going out to the middle of the ground during the breaks and listed to the coaches speak to the players, then of to the rooms to get autographs from the players after the game. Loved that ground. Especially behind the goals at the Grandstand end. There wasn't a better place to be if South occassionally won a game.

Doctor J.
30th August 2011, 06:45 PM
Ahh the memories. Used to love going out to the middle of the ground during the breaks and listed to the coaches speak to the players, then of to the rooms to get autographs from the players after the game. Loved that ground. Especially behind the goals at the Grandstand end. There wasn't a better place to be if South occassionally won a game.

It was the place I could be found every second Saturday afternoon during the winter. Loved being there. A sunny winters day, after South occassionally won a game, stick around to have a quick kick on the ground with dad. Snap a goal just like Bobby did during the afternoon. Into the rooms, to literally stare in awe at my heroes, then be lured by the smell of hot jam donuts to eat on the way home. Unfortunately they were a real treat because I only got them if we won!!! 6 of the suckers for $0.30c or some ridiculous price like that. Yep loved that ground and it has some fantastic memories for me.

aardvark
30th August 2011, 06:49 PM
It was the place I could be found every second Saturday afternoon during the winter. Loved being there. A sunny winters day, after South occassionally won a game, stick around to have a quick kick on the ground with dad. Snap a goal just like Bobby did during the afternoon. Into the rooms, to literally stare in awe at my heroes, then be lured by the smell of hot jam donuts to eat on the way home. Unfortunately they were a real treat because I only got them if we won!!! 6 of the suckers for $0.30c or some ridiculous price like that. Yep loved that ground and it has some fantastic memories for me.

Standing on the old steel beer cans (sometimes full of other liquid) so you could see the game and hot pies for 14 cents. Priceless !!

Dooloo
30th August 2011, 06:51 PM

yeh those donuts from the caravan in the car park. How could I forget those. I was a bit more fortunate than you. My dad would buy us a bag of them even if we came close to a win. He didn't have the heart to make us wait for a victory. If that were the case I'd be lucky to get a donut at all.I still have the old footy records with signatures on them at home somewheres

chunksngravy
30th August 2011, 07:25 PM
Ah yes the donuts! The only other donuts that came close were those at Arden street but it was only at the lake oval that the smell would waft over half the ground, mingle with the smell of Melbourne bitter and ciggies and send your head spinning. Great memories.

BigBarryRound25
30th August 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm tearing up here guys. What a great privilege it is to be a swans supporter.

Re lakeside don't forget the peanuts - then it's off to Williamstown road to do it all again the following day. Go the mighty borough - they provided the only thing that was missing from being a bloods supporter, a regular victory.

juliec
31st August 2011, 12:00 AM
Yes I loved going to that ground as well, share all those same memories.

Does anyone else remember the Cockatoo that was kept in a cage outside, (I think it was the bar) it use to swear so badly :redface:

I remember my uncle taking me into the social club after the game, I got to meet all the champtions from both the clubs that were playing on the day.

Bob Skilton was my hero, he always would take time to have chats with me, I just loved him, we never had many victories at the time, but meeting him in the social club was always my highlight.

I also remember meeting Darrell Baldock, everytime I seen him, he use to always wear a trench coat.

Yes they were great memories

chuckie
31st August 2011, 01:03 PM
That cockatoo was one of the reason my family got a cockatoo which I still have named Bob. If it was good enough for South to have one we had to have one to. What about the old drinking fountain in the members area with the lion heads as taps, the tunnels at the far end of the ground where the wind use to blow through causing havoc when shooting for goal, the bowling green on the members wing that was closed so that we could build a new grandstand like the one at Moorabbin only for the VFL to block the development of it.
When they stopped playing football there I decided to get as many souvenirs as I could, I have the old line marker, signs from the scoreboard and from around the ground, fence palings, lights from the light towers and heaps of other stuff that were all just piled up to be taken to the tip. The one thing I tried to get right up until this year was a row of seats from the members stand that I wanted to set up around my BBQ area at home for some reason or another I wasn't able to get some which annoys me as I was told with all the redevelopment that is going on down there they had thrown them all down the tip.
At the South Melbourne market there use to be someone selling paintings of the old ground featuring the members grandstand and the one that burnt down in 1962.