PDA

View Full Version : List changes this year

2nd September 2011, 10:07 AM
Yes I know it's not even finals time yet but Tadgh's retirement now has me thinking about what we'll do in trade week and in the painful delisting process.

We are already three down with the retirements of Craig Bolton, Tadgh and Bradshaw. I doubt there are any more retirements to come this year.

Interesting to read that this years draft is seen as shallow which is to be expected as GWS took a dozen of the best 17 year olds out of the pool last year. It is also compromised by the fact that you only get every 18th selection, not every 16th as in past years and GWS have 9 first round picks.

If we finish say 6th, we will have pick 21 which we will need to use to get Mitchell, then because of some compensation picks our next picks will be about 40/41, 58/59, 76/77. Not the kind of picks that enable you to do much in trade week.

Although we've had success with picks that far out in the past, this may not be the draft to be going with those picks.

So what is realistically likely to happen? Are there any rookie upgrades likely?

liz
2nd September 2011, 10:20 AM
I'd expect Gordon to be elevated.

msb
2nd September 2011, 10:55 AM
I think we should have minimal delistings considering there are already 3 spots available on the list. I agree gordon should be elevated.

Nico
2nd September 2011, 11:28 AM
Yes I know it's not even finals time yet but Tadgh's retirement now has me thinking about what we'll do in trade week and in the painful delisting process.

We are already three down with the retirements of Craig Bolton, Tadgh and Bradshaw. I doubt there are any more retirements to come this year.

Interesting to read that this years draft is seen as shallow which is to be expected as GWS took a dozen of the best 17 year olds out of the pool last year. It is also compromised by the fact that you only get every 18th selection, not every 16th as in past years and GWS have 9 first round picks.

If we finish say 6th, we will have pick 21 which we will need to use to get Mitchell, then because of some compensation picks our next picks will be about 40/41, 58/59, 76/77. Not the kind of picks that enable you to do much in trade week.

Although we've had success with picks that far out in the past, this may not be the draft to be going with those picks.

So what is realistically likely to happen? Are there any rookie upgrades likely?

Your second last line. That gets said by "the experts" every year and it is always incorrect. There is always plenty of players who surprise. Alex Johnson is a good example.

Every year rookies come out of nowhere. There are some very good recuiting managers out there who have the knack of finding some real gems. A can't believe we have picked up a ready made of the calibre of Luke Parker in 2010 draft.

ugg
2nd September 2011, 11:29 AM
It looks like Moore's cards are marked - on fire in the reserves in the past 2 months but not an emergency once. I also don't expect Bevan to stick around, whether he is delisted, signed by GWS or traded to another club he won't be a Swan in 2012. And let's pray that GWS haven't managed to snaffle any other players.

So that's at least 5 spots (before trades) to fill, with Mitchell already confirmed that's 4 live picks. In terms of rookies Gordon will definitely be elevated, McNeil is the only other possibility I see at this stage. He looks to have improved his spread and run to complement his excellent inside work and the Swans may see more sense in having him on the senior list rather drafting a 18 year old.

The other rookies:
McKaigue - the reserves' defence has been miserly all year, no doubt in large part protected by the dominance of the midfield but also due to the great work done by McKaigue, Heath, Johnston and co. His defensive capabilities have improved, now they need to work on his offensive stuff. Keep for another year (if he wants to hang around for another year, even though Tadhg won't be a player next year it looks like he'll still be in Sydney in some capacity)
Kruger - still very raw and was always going to be a long term project so it wouldn't make much sense to cut him after just one year.
Otten - hasn't missed a game but hasn't registered in the best list once this year.
Haren - showed promising signs at the start of the year but has been missing with some mysterious injury that the Swans haven't disclosed (There was an interview with Jed Lamb where he mentioned how at the start of his recovery there were plenty of Swans in the rehab 'dungeon' but by the end it was just him and Haren). Keep for another year to see what he has.

Nico
2nd September 2011, 11:30 AM
I think we should have minimal delistings considering there are already 3 spots available on the list. I agree gordon should be elevated.

I expect we will try to trade for an out of contract player or 2 and will delist a few regardless. There is always a need to refresh the list with young players.

S120
2nd September 2011, 11:40 AM
Tadhg, Bradhaw and Craig obviously all gone and I'd expect Bevo and Moore to be gone as well for greater opportunities elsewhere.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Seaby held on to as depth but then also wouldn't be surprised to see us try and get something for him while he still has currency.

Bas
2nd September 2011, 11:48 AM
How quickly we forget, but you can probably add Sumner to that retirement list.

Does Currie survive another year on the list?

So we have:

1. C. Bolton;
2. Bradshaw;
3. Kennelly;
4. Sumner;
5. Moore;
6. Bevan;
7. Currie

To that list you can possibly add Seaby and TDL as a trade.

The first 4 on list are gone, next 2 likely and the rest is anyone's guess.

I've ignored the rookies because that is a seperate issue.

At least our first draft pick will be of very high quality and that just leaves 2 others.

You'd think the Swans would be active in trading again because of list improvement to capitalise on this year.

S120
2nd September 2011, 11:53 AM
One of Seaby or Currie would be retained I imagine. Unless we get a young ruckman in the draft to develop. We'd get nothing for Currie on the trade market but unless we can get something of value for Seaby, I reckon they'll hang onto him (Seaby I mean).

I think TDL will be retained and doesn't sound good if Sumner is still in SA so yeh I imagine he's gone.

ugg
2nd September 2011, 11:59 AM
Ah I forgot about poor Dan. I think he's out of contract and if so, I don't see the point in handing him another one. 5 years in and apparently still not physically ready for AFL football, plus he's been troubled significantly by this foot complaint in the past couple of years.

Doctor
2nd September 2011, 12:51 PM

That's one I've missed, although I've noted his absence of late. What happened?

Untamed Snark
2nd September 2011, 01:18 PM
That's one I've missed, although I've noted his absence of late. What happened?

He took indefinite leave for personal reasons and headed back to SA
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-grant-byron-sumner-indefinite-leave/story-e6frexwr-1226097066452

SPC
2nd September 2011, 01:53 PM

I'm not aware of Sumner's contract situation with us? If he doesnt come back, is there any value with him in potential trade to SA clubs, or is it more likely to be just another spot free on our list?

chuckie
2nd September 2011, 03:02 PM
When Heath Grundy was rookie drafted in 2004 it was a bit of a shock, cause after the under 18's championship that year he was expected to go in the top 10 of the national draft. Later that year he started to drift in value but was still expected to go in the top 25.
Max Otten was rookie drafted in a similar circumstance. Highly rated early in the 2010 year but drifted out at the end.
Most observers still expected him to get drafted in the main draft. At a aftermatch in Melbourne this year the word from a couple of assistant coaches was that they have not pushed him to hard this year as they expect him to blossom into a good player in a couple of years, so I think he will remain on our rookie list at least.

Doctor
2nd September 2011, 04:50 PM
He took indefinite leave for personal reasons and headed back to SA
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-grant-byron-sumner-indefinite-leave/story-e6frexwr-1226097066452

I hope he is able to get it all sorted out. Best of luck to him.

Thanks for the info Snarky!

Bloody Hell
2nd September 2011, 10:43 PM
Surely TDL will remain on the list. His aerobic capacity seems to be the issue, not his silky skills. I'd like to see where he's at after another pre season.

His market value would be zero. Considering the space on the list I can't see him going anywhere.

BRISWAN
3rd September 2011, 12:21 AM
It'd be a tragedy to let TDL go!!!
Cannot see how this is even under consideration.
Another thread mentioned somebody spied Sumner
Present at Tadgh's announcement.....can anyone shed more light here?

Jewels
3rd September 2011, 07:36 AM
It'd be a tragedy to let TDL go!!!
Cannot see how this is even under consideration.
Another thread mentioned somebody spied Sumner
Present at Tadgh's announcement.....can anyone shed more light here?

At the very end of the press conference the camera pans across the team in the room watching, and in the very last frame you catch a glimpse of what looks like Sumner on the outermost left.
It's very hard to tell though.

gossipcom
3rd September 2011, 01:49 PM
I wonder in the case of Sumner, if he does want to some time return to AFL, that we might do a trade with one of the SA clubs so that he can resume with one of them and not have to leave the State, etc?

3rd September 2011, 11:23 PM
I think Sumner has the makings of an AFL player, very good evasive skills. Can't see us delisting him and he's worth nothing in the trade market.

He'll be given time to sort out his problems I reckon.

Dosser
3rd September 2011, 11:44 PM
At the very end of the press conference the camera pans across the team in the room watching, and in the very last frame you catch a glimpse of what looks like Sumner on the outermost left.

I heard he was seen flipping burgers with Elvis.

GongSwan
4th September 2011, 03:30 AM

I heard he was seen on a Totilla in Mexico

Auntie.Gerald
4th September 2011, 09:06 AM
thanks god !!

Sylvia extends Melbourne deal - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/122577/default.aspx)

BSA5
4th September 2011, 02:38 PM
I think Sumner has the makings of an AFL player, very good evasive skills. Can't see us delisting him and he's worth nothing in the trade market.

He'll be given time to sort out his problems I reckon.

I very much hope so. I'm a big fan of Sumner (see my sig), and he's exactly the sort of player we need right now.

Also, it should be pointed out that we have no idea the nature of Sumner's reasons for going back to SA. It could be homesickness, sure, but it could be something else entirely, such as a family illness, etc, which he needed time off for. That being the case, there's no reason he wouldn't come back to the Swans when the issue has passed.

Swansinger
4th September 2011, 02:52 PM
I reckon Paul Bevan will be off to the Dees.

Melbournehammer
4th September 2011, 03:13 PM
I reckon Paul Bevan will be off to the Dees.

That would actually be a really good match fwiw. Bevans hardness and competitiveness would go a long way there.

Nico
4th September 2011, 06:17 PM
I wonder in the case of Sumner, if he does want to some time return to AFL, that we might do a trade with one of the SA clubs so that he can resume with one of them and not have to leave the State, etc?

I don't think players have the luxury of saying they want to return to the AFL sometime. These days you are either in our out. His only chance is to be traded and he has absolutely no value. His best hope is if we delist him is a rookie spot in SA.

Triple B
4th September 2011, 06:19 PM
That would actually be a really good match fwiw. Bevans hardness and competitiveness would go a long way there.

He won't fit in, he likes bruise footy...

gossipcom
4th September 2011, 06:59 PM
I don't think players have the luxury of saying they want to return to the AFL sometime. These days you are either in our out. His only chance is to be traded and he has absolutely no value. His best hope is if we delist him is a rookie spot in SA.
Even though I made that statement before, I agree with you and others about the trade value. I guess we'll know soon regarding it whether we delist him or if he chooses to leave and then go for the rookie spot in SA, etc.

Bas
4th September 2011, 10:44 PM
Reminds me of Fred Campbell. Left the Swans because of some personal reason and then turned up next year at St Kilda.

aardvark
4th September 2011, 11:34 PM
Reminds me of Fred Campbell. Left the Swans because of some personal reason and then turned up next year at St Kilda.

Took a personal dislike to Sydney perhaps ?

Chilcott
5th September 2011, 10:20 AM
Took a personal dislike to Sydney perhaps ?

Maybe Byron is not a fan of the committment and hard work required of an AFL footballer, much the same as Fred.

Nico
5th September 2011, 02:04 PM
Even though I made that statement before, I agree with you and others about the trade value. I guess we'll know soon regarding it whether we delist him or if he chooses to leave and then go for the rookie spot in SA, etc.

Sumner showed that he has talent. In the first round against Melbourne he made a few disposal errors but that is acceptable at that stage of his career. Nothing that couldn't be fixed. He seemed to play more as individual than a team player. Tried to do too much and was a little too fancy.

If he can't take the rigours of AFL footy or is homesick etc he certainly isn't the first and won't be the last to struggle in these areas. Players take the risk of being drafted away from their home states and clubs take the risk of this happening when they draft them.

magic.merkin
5th September 2011, 03:14 PM

99% it's him.

Hope he is well.

leobarryustar
5th September 2011, 03:45 PM
Moore is already contracted until the end of 2012, he therefore can't simply be delisted and I doubt there would be any clubs interested in trading for him due to his suspect pace

Nico
5th September 2011, 07:16 PM
Moore is already contracted until the end of 2012, he therefore can't simply be delisted and I doubt there would be any clubs interested in trading for him due to his suspect pace

He wouldn't be on that much so maybe GWS would take on his 2012 salary and package it up in a trade deal. If what reserves watchers say about his onfield leadership is on the money, then he may well be a handy cheaper pickup for them.

Nich
7th September 2011, 02:18 PM
Do you think we might be running into some defensive problems now?

We took Spangher on as a defender and Gary was being earmarked as a taller, strong marking HB. Both those two are now forward.

LRT is 28 and nearing the last few years of his career with us. Teddy same age. Mattner is getting there as well. Rhyce is getting on as well. Tadhg retiring. I know Alex is coming along well but he is still young. Everitt seems to be average as a defender at best so far.

With Reg being ill and LRT out of the team it made our stocks look really thin.

liz
7th September 2011, 02:33 PM
Do you think we might be running into some defensive problems now?

We took Spangher on as a defender and Gary was being earmarked as a taller, strong marking HB. Both those two are now forward.

LRT is 28 and nearing the last few years of his career with us. Teddy same age. Mattner is getting there as well. Rhyce is getting on as well. Tadhg retiring. I know Alex is coming along well but he is still young. Everitt seems to be average as a defender at best so far.

With Reg being ill and LRT out of the team it made our stocks look really thin.

I don't think we are at the moment, but now is the time to start planning (and drafting) for senior readiness in two or three years time. We could probably do with a classy, quick HBFer or two, and a small back pocket player to take over from Rhys when he hangs up the boots. I had hoped that Sumner might provide something in one of those roles. Maybe he still will.

Nich
7th September 2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah hopefully Byron can. Time will tell. You're right though, for the time being we are cool but looking into the future the planning needs to be done as you say. I'm sure the Coaches are well aware of that though!!! ;)

Bas
7th September 2011, 09:34 PM
My money is that Sumner is gone. I'd slot Pyke in there somewhere.

rojo
8th September 2011, 12:27 AM
It will be a shame if Uncle is gone.

What about Jets and TDL? It is a worry, the much vaunted Bloods culture of hard at the ball, and priority given to defense, defense and more defense. I wonder if they will ever fit in? Jets strikes me as a happy-go-lucky type, living very much in the moment and with his football right now looks to be totally confused. In that regard a bit like my past lost cause, Ed B!! You would have to say that they have both gone backwards during the course of this year and in comparison with where they were at last year. I just hope that their natural, instinctive trade-mark play, as well as their confidence survives and that the make-over is going to be possible. Maybe Jets is missing Uncle being around.

Bas
8th September 2011, 08:58 AM
So where is L J sitting with all this?????? I imagine they will use him as a forward. Will he be traded back to S.A??

I think they were looking at Reid as CHB originally but you couldn't put him there now.

stellation
8th September 2011, 09:02 AM
He wouldn't be on that much so maybe GWS would take on his 2012 salary and package it up in a trade deal. If what reserves watchers say about his onfield leadership is on the money, then he may well be a handy cheaper pickup for them.

I think it would be a very good move for both GWS and for Jarred. I am rather fond of the overgrown wombat and hold some remote possibility in my mind that he'll come back into the senior side and stick there for a couple of years- but I accept that's becoming ever more remote. At GWS he'd most likely play seniors all next season then still be well in the mix for the next 1-2 years after that.

Chilcott
8th September 2011, 09:35 AM
From what I have seen (although, it hasn't been much), I believe Campbell Heath will turn out to be very handy half back flanker. Although, needs a full pre-season and some luck with injuries.

I still have hopes for Lewis Johnson as well.

Triple B
8th September 2011, 09:43 AM
From what I have seen (although, it hasn't been much), I believe Campbell Heath will turn out to be very handy half back flanker. Although, needs a full pre-season and some luck with injuries.

I've seen plenty of both and your assessment is 100% on the money, imo.

dimelb
8th September 2011, 10:09 AM

I still have hopes for Lewis Johnson as well.And McKaigue?

nomae
8th September 2011, 12:00 PM

I like the look of LJ, I hope he gets games next year with the retirement of Tadgh, I'd hate to see him go back to Adelaide. And Campbell Heath can take over from Teddy in a couple of years.

Also I think Bev and Bulldog deserve to get some senior game time somewhere, they're just wasting away in the twos here. I think Bev would be a great fit at Melbourne, god knows that place needs some toughness, and Bulldog could be a respectable leader for the first winless years at GWS.

Primmy
8th September 2011, 01:41 PM
I've seen plenty of both and your assessment is 100% on the money, imo.

Absolutely. Was just heading to the end of the thread with my "Don't forget Campbell" and you beat me to it. He will be just fine.

We also have a Jed Lamb to include somewhere, and a harder nut will be hard to find (hmm....Luke of course, but I digress).

Primmy
8th September 2011, 01:43 PM
And McKaigue?
Could be. About a year away from it in a "game" sense I would say. Oh and if they pick up Ben Haran.....he to me looks like a defender, but I think he has played up forward mostly, but ....

LJ is a forward.

Big Al
8th September 2011, 01:58 PM
Lamb = Star

Will be playing seniors next year. I'm well and truly on the Chops bandwagon.

Primmy
8th September 2011, 02:30 PM
And don't forget Max Otten. He was scrambling around in defense in preseason, so chances are......big lad too.

and Yeah Chops is a bit of a special. We have been making purring noises whenever he does his "stuff"(ing?)

jono2707
8th September 2011, 04:14 PM
Lamb = Star

I hope we see Chops in mint condition next year....

Nich
8th September 2011, 04:21 PM
Imagine some chops with another pre-season under the belt. Salivating.

Nico
8th September 2011, 05:23 PM
Lamb = Star

Would that be marinated BBQ chops by any chance?

swansrob
8th September 2011, 05:42 PM
I hope we see Chops in mint condition next year....
I see what you did there...

Big Al
8th September 2011, 06:02 PM
Would that be marinated BBQ chops by any chance?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMDq39ll7DVVM8Y84-qAdZm-aUDggLnclkCTYk6SQrgIgBn7Y_2A

Auntie.Gerald
12th September 2011, 10:29 PM
I wonder Gunston from Adelaide.........we could swap with LJ or should we keep LJ ???

I believe Talia is not signed as yet either ??

Daniel Talia Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the Adelaide Football Club (http://www.afc.com.au/players/playerprofile/danieltalia/tabid/4506/playerid/21577/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx)

aardvark
12th September 2011, 10:56 PM
I wonder Gunston from Adelaide.........we could swap with LJ or should we keep LJ ???

Daniel Talia Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the Adelaide Football Club (http://www.afc.com.au/players/playerprofile/danieltalia/tabid/4506/playerid/21577/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx)

Maybe Sumner ? I'm fairly sure he wants out and back to SA.

Dosser
13th September 2011, 10:18 AM

RWO has ruined me now. Due to a previous thread I can now no longer see Talia's name without thinking of his sister...

Melbournehammer
13th September 2011, 10:29 AM
Gunston is leaving adelaide to go home. i am not sure that this means sydney.

Bloody Hell
13th September 2011, 05:31 PM

...with KP potential if he bulks up a bit. Hard not to be reminded of one C.Bolton.

Melbourne_Blood
13th September 2011, 07:00 PM
Im looking forward to seeing more of LJ next year, hope he has a good pre-season. Lamb also.

longmile
13th September 2011, 08:46 PM
There is an article on the AFL website stating that Adelaide Crows ruckman Ivan Maric and forward Jack Gunston are looking to be traded. I am unfamiliar with both of these players, could they be suitable swaps for both of our homesick Adelaide recruits: LJ and Sumner? Or even for Seaby, who is looking to be a no.1 ruckman elsewhere?

Here's the article: https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/123339/default.aspx

Melbourne_Blood
13th September 2011, 09:27 PM
Gunston is homesick too, for Melbourne. Maric loooks likely to be headed to Richmond.

ugg
13th September 2011, 10:07 PM
I don't think LJ would have signed a contract extension if he was homesick. Maric has less chance of getting a game here than he does at Adelaide.

Bas
13th September 2011, 11:41 PM
RWO has ruined me now. Due to a previous thread I can now no longer see Talia's name without thinking of his sister...

sorry................

sprite
14th September 2011, 01:24 PM
Or even for Seaby, who is looking to be a no.1 ruckman elsewhere?

Here's the article:
Crows resigned to losing duo - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/123339/default.aspx)

Did I miss something - no mention of Seaby in the article, where did you find that Seaby wants out?

longmile
14th September 2011, 01:51 PM
Did I miss something - no mention of Seaby in the article, where did you find that Seaby wants out?

There's been talk about how Seaby came to the Swans as our number 1 ruckman, but he was unfortunate enough to become injured and with Mumford's sudden incredible form, Seaby was became our secondary ruckman, with Pyke and White more likely to get a run in the firsts as a ruck-cum-forward. Seaby came to the Swans to play games in the firsts, but now he only gets a run when Mumford is injured or suspended. Rumours were speculated on RWO that he'd like to look elsewhere to be no.1 ruck for another club.
But of course its all rumour, which I should have outlined in my post.

Dosser
14th September 2011, 02:47 PM
There's been talk about how Seaby came to the Swans as our number 1 ruckman, but he was unfortunate enough to become injured and with Mumford's sudden incredible form, Seaby was became our secondary ruckman, with Pyke and White more likely to get a run in the firsts as a ruck-cum-forward. Seaby came to the Swans to play games in the firsts, but now he only gets a run when Mumford is injured or suspended. Rumours were speculated on RWO that he'd like to look elsewhere to be no.1 ruck for another club.
But of course its all rumour, which I should have outlined in my post.

What?!? I am so disappointed to find out that RWO discusses nothing less than fact!