PDA

View Full Version : Gary Rohan for Rising Star

sharp9
4th September 2011, 09:12 AM
'Nuff said, really....but especially after 3 SPECIAL performances against West Coast (before injury), Geelong and Brisbane and 2 Goal of the Year nominations. He is a hell of a lot better than Batchelor, Steven and few others. AJ was really, really good again too.

Dogzbody
4th September 2011, 09:56 AM
He should be nominated! Can't believe how much he has matured in 12 months. Was actually thinking during the week that he reminds me a bit of Judd in his first few seasons at WCE. Rohan will be a superstar of the AFL!!

swansrob
4th September 2011, 10:06 AM
Rohan has been fantastic when fit, but purely for slotting in and doing his bit week in - week out, no fuss, just getting the job done, I'd prefer to see AJ get the nod.

swansprincess
4th September 2011, 10:26 AM
Rohan has been fantastic when fit, but purely for slotting in and doing his bit week in - week out, no fuss, just getting the job done, I'd prefer to see AJ get the nod. Johnson deserves a nomination just a bit more, I'd say.

Jewels
4th September 2011, 10:34 AM
Johnson deserves a nomination just a bit more, I'd say.

Me too.

Primmy
4th September 2011, 10:49 AM
Hope he doesn't get it, it would rule him out of next year's competition which he could win; he wouldn't win this year on 4 games.

Nich
4th September 2011, 11:03 AM
Hope he doesn't get it, it would rule him out of next year's competition which he could win; he wouldn't win this year on 4 games.

Gary has played more then 10 Senior games over 2010/11 so he will be ineligible next year.

S120
4th September 2011, 12:14 PM
Johnson deserves a nomination after yesterday. Has deserved a nomination for the last 10 weeks really but he was outstanding yesterday. Didn't make a mistake as a KPD. I'd be giving AJ a nomination before Rohan, as brilliant as he was.

Swansinger
4th September 2011, 02:46 PM
"Johnson deserves a nomination after yesterday."

He's ice-cool. But Rohan will get it ahead of him.
Spectacular beats solid.

Rohan & Parker : the Bolton & Kirk of the next generation.

swans_premiers
4th September 2011, 02:53 PM
"Johnson deserves a nomination after yesterday."

He's ice-cool. But Rohan will get it ahead of him.
Spectacular beats solid.

Rohan & Parker : the Bolton & Kirk of the next generation.

Rohan's more of the goodes of the next generation IMO.

S120
4th September 2011, 02:56 PM
Hannebery & Parker : the Bolton & Kirk of the next generation.

I think that's more like it.

Rohan could be unlike anything we've seen before (excluding Mr. Goodes).

Auntie.Gerald
4th September 2011, 08:36 PM
He should be nominated! Can't believe how much he has matured in 12 months. Was actually thinking during the week that he reminds me a bit of Judd in his first few seasons at WCE. Rohan will be a superstar of the AFL!!

not a bad comparison.........in some ways I can see what u mean.........Juddy did play outside to start his career and was electric

Bleed Red Blood
4th September 2011, 11:52 PM

Bizarely you can be nominated more than once anyway.

alison.z
5th September 2011, 07:51 AM
Bizarely you can be nominated more than once anyway.

Not sure he's eligible anyway ... Has played 15 games now so certainly won't be eligible next year - has to have played 10 or under at beginning of season if I recall correctly

Nich
5th September 2011, 09:10 AM
Liam Jones secured the last nom. I know it's not the be all and end all but Alex really deserved one. Ah well.

Melbournehammer
5th September 2011, 11:00 AM
Liam Jones secured the last nom. I know it's not the be all and end all but Alex really deserved one. Ah well.

dont the swans themselves have a best first year - could be tight between johnson and parker methinks...but the point is I simply couldnt be happier having watched the wins the recruiting team have had in the past three seasons...

BSA5
5th September 2011, 11:33 AM

Pretty pathetic. Johnson > Jones, both this year and this weekend.

S120
5th September 2011, 11:42 AM
Liam Jones I'm not surprised got one at some stage this year, but how whoever judges this thing left Alex Johnson out is just mind-boggling.

dimelb
5th September 2011, 12:19 PM
How a youngster with the height, talent and footy smarts of AJ has gone under the radar beats me.
Typical Swan's fate! I'm sure he'll show more.

S120
5th September 2011, 12:57 PM
We need a cheer squad at Swans' games devoted to Gary. Call them the Riders of Rohan. They all wear red wigs and pretend to ride on horses (Monty Python style).

Damien
5th September 2011, 12:59 PM
Jones has been fantastic most of the year, really has come of age, I've enjoyed watching him. Shaky in front of goal at times but as a Swans man, I can't be to harsh on others haha

I'd prefer a Swans boy to get the nod, but Liam Jones is a very deserving nominee.

Primmy
5th September 2011, 01:38 PM
Ones a forward, and ones a backman. nuff said.

Dan
5th September 2011, 01:46 PM
No offense to the kid but I don't think AJ is going to be a 'star', he is going to be a really really good AFL footballer, one that you can rely on and who will do his job week in and week out, someone that every team needs.

ScottH
5th September 2011, 01:51 PM
No offense to the kid but I don't think AJ is going to be a 'star', he is going to be a really really good AFL footballer, one that you can rely on and who will do his job week in and week out, someone that every team needs.

The little things he does impress me.

He stopped an almost certain goal with a punch, and a few seconds later is recieving the ball as he scurries out of the backline.
He's done the last line of defense stop a few times this year. Not bad for a first year player.

AnnieH
5th September 2011, 01:57 PM
Well, when I was speaking with AJ and his parents after the game, I said to him that I'm loving the way that he's flying under the radar. No one is tagging him and because of this he actually gets a bit of ball. He agreed. His father is taking all the credit for him. I said yeah, but mum washed his uniforms, so she wins!! They are great people. I love our extended swannies family.
Give AJ time.

As for the Rangs ... we love Ranga.

Nich
5th September 2011, 02:12 PM
Well, when I was speaking with AJ and his parents after the game, I said to him that I'm loving the way that he's flying under the radar. No one is tagging him and because of this he actually gets a bit of ball. He agreed. His father is taking all the credit for him. I said yeah, but mum washed his uniforms, so she wins!! They are great people. I love our extended swannies family.
Give AJ time.

As for the Rangs ... we love Ranga.

is there anyone you didn't speak to after the game : ) Love your work!!

Lucky Knickers
5th September 2011, 02:20 PM
You've just described Craig Bolton. Who could possible be offended. I agree with you 100% and good job we know that players like AJ are priceless.

AnnieH
5th September 2011, 03:05 PM
is there anyone you didn't speak to after the game : ) Love your work!!

Not many.
All you've gotta do is hang around the front doors of the club (with the other 20 or so people there) and wait for the players to come out.
We do 3/4 of the aftermatch function, then head downstairs to say g'day.

Triple B
5th September 2011, 03:06 PM
You've just described Craig Bolton. Who could possible be offended. I agree with you 100% and good job we know that players like AJ are priceless.

I've likened AJ to Ben Hart.

I hope he turns out near as good.....

Dosser
5th September 2011, 03:55 PM
Not many.
All you've gotta do is hang around the front doors of the club (with the other 20 or so people there) and wait for the players to come out.
We do 3/4 of the aftermatch function, then head downstairs to say g'day.

I'm beginning to get a bit of a picture of you here, Annie. :)

AnnieH
5th September 2011, 04:03 PM
Don't.
It'll be wrong.

Dosser
5th September 2011, 04:38 PM
Just kidding :)

ScottH
5th September 2011, 05:25 PM
I'm beginning to get a bit of a picture of you here, Annie. :)

The AVO's haven't come through yet.

ShockOfHair
5th September 2011, 07:54 PM
The little things he does impress me.

He stopped an almost certain goal with a punch, and a few seconds later is recieving the ball as he scurries out of the backline.
He's done the last line of defense stop a few times this year. Not bad for a first year player.

He does those important things really well, but they're not spectacular enough to win RS nomination.

On the upside, the writer on the AFL website rates Sam as one of the top five candidates this year (along with Heppell, Zac Smith, Shuey and D. Swallow).

Rising jets - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/122683/default.aspx)

Problem is:

What counts against [Reid] is the fact that, like the Brownlow, it is seen as largely a midfielder's award with no tall forward winning it since Nick Riewoldt in 2002.

Nich
5th September 2011, 08:55 PM
Heppell and Shuey will be the ones but in all seriousness, Sam is holding down a key position like an old stager and should be right at the top of the list as well. He is going to be massive for us. He is 19!!!!!

Triple B
5th September 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm serious. If Heppell and Sam went on the open market tomorrow, I'd reckon Sam would be in more demand.

That's not a knock on Heppell, he's a fine young player, but KPP like Sam are as scarce as hen's teeth as opposed to Heppell types who are all over the place....

Nich
5th September 2011, 09:05 PM
I'm serious. If Heppell and Sam went on the open market tomorrow, I'd reckon Sam would be in more demand.

That's not a knock on Heppell, he's a fine young player, but KPP like Sam are as scarce as hen's teeth as opposed to Heppell types who are all over the place....

Completely agree.