PDA

View Full Version : Standalone game vs Giants as season opener?

R-1
8th September 2011, 09:51 AM
From an AFL.com.au article:

The Age reports that the new club is hoping to launch its inaugural AFL season with a stand-alone game on the vacant weekend before the start of the 2012 home and away season, which is typically on a Thursday night

The broadsheet reports: "The Giants and AFL are working on a plan that would launch the new club into the football-free weekend which immediately follows the NAB Cup grand final."

It is suggested the game "would be staged in the rugby league heartland of ANZ Stadium". Holmes confirmed the plan. It is expected the Giants would hope to play the Sydney Swans in the game.

aardvark
8th September 2011, 11:22 AM
From an AFL.com.au article:

Why not? Starting the season with a big win is always good.

ugg
8th September 2011, 11:26 AM
Good idea, I'm sick of Carlton smashing Richmond to open the season.

Triple B
8th September 2011, 11:35 AM
I don't really like a stop/start start to the season myself, effectively getting a bye in Rd 2, but given it should be an easy win in the first few years, I'd run with it.

Yuri H
8th September 2011, 11:39 AM
I'd definitely go. Fun to see a bit of history, and as aardvark said, a tidy win would be a boost to the spirits.

And I could bring my GWS cap and, when they kick a hopefully rare goal, switch it with my Swans hat and clap a bit. Then of course put the Swans gear back on and get on with the game.

R-1
8th September 2011, 11:41 AM
That's not a bad idea and I might do likewise...

It'd also get one of our ANZ games out of the way.

goswannie14
8th September 2011, 11:42 AM
Are they basing this on the fact that we will never get into the Practice Match Cup Grand Final?

Realistically though, it does sound like a good idea.

MattW
8th September 2011, 11:43 AM
I don't like a stop/start start to the season either. I also don't like the AFL constantly fiddling with the schedule. I would much rather the draw be founded in equity and chance.

dimelb
8th September 2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, might work OK.
But I'd rather watch GWS play the ressies again.

Jewels
8th September 2011, 12:27 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I have strategically planned a cruise for next year (with five other people who ALL had to fall into place with my football schedule) that sailed after about round three of the Knob cup, then had me back two days before the season opener!
I haven't missed a home game in ten years!!!! Damn you to hell AFL!!!!

aardvark
8th September 2011, 12:29 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I have strategically planned a cruise for next year (with five other people who ALL had to fall into place with my football schedule) that sailed after about round three of the Knob cup, then had me back two days before the season opener!
I haven't missed a home game in ten years!!!! Damn you to hell AFL!!!!

Oops !!

Triple B
8th September 2011, 12:33 PM
If the Giants have made the request, than it should be a Giants home game.

All good.....

DLBIA14
8th September 2011, 01:27 PM
I'd actually prefer a stand alone game with them in the middle of the season, sort of like what we had with Collingwood in the split round. As a season opener it might be a bit of a flop and they want to schedule it a little too early for my liking.

AnnieH
8th September 2011, 01:43 PM
Great.
We get to rip them a new one early in the piece.
Better that we do it first!!

Number 43
8th September 2011, 02:14 PM
Might mean we get to play them twice in the season as well

Cheer Squad
8th September 2011, 02:26 PM
It will be interesting go see how many of their 10,000 foundation members actually show up when there's premiership points on the line. And interesting to see how many of our members actually care enough to bother attending.

Damien
8th September 2011, 02:32 PM
Early season byes are a joke, really stuffed around with Adelaide this year early. I don't mind opening the season, but not as a standalone game. Just give us the Thursday night and be done with it.

Go Swannies
8th September 2011, 02:32 PM
Not fair. After the Swans' 2011 Premiership there's so little time to get fit (or sober up) before the GWS game.

If Mummy does a Jason Ball he may not sober up till around R4.

Damien
8th September 2011, 02:34 PM
Might mean we get to play them twice in the season as well

That's an absolute given, no matter when we first play them we will play them twice, just as the WA, SA & QLD teams do (and the big Melbourne rivalries)

Triple B
8th September 2011, 02:46 PM
It will be interesting go see how many of their 10,000 foundation members actually show up when there's premiership points on the line. And interesting to see how many of our members actually care enough to bother attending.

There'll be a few of us counted twice...

AnnieH
8th September 2011, 03:45 PM
Is there any talk of the swans making a deal (like they did with the bulldogs or the roos) so that the members get entry into that game as well (if it's a westies home game)?

Jenny??? Heard any rumours??

We could end up on the top of the table with a very healthy percentage after Round 1!!

jono2707
8th September 2011, 04:12 PM
I think they should play Port or the Kangaroos first and see how many show up then.....

I could air my opinion again about the GWS Whatevers being a waste of time and money and a foolish idea which I think will do great damage to the AFL brand, but I won't....

Triple B
8th September 2011, 05:01 PM
I could air my opinion again about the GWS Whatevers being a waste of time and money and a foolish idea which I think will do great damage to the AFL brand, but I won't....

Thx for sparing us, u are most kind....

Glenn
8th September 2011, 05:14 PM
Is there any talk of the swans making a deal (like they did with the bulldogs or the roos) so that the members get entry into that game as well (if it's a westies home game)?

Jenny??? Heard any rumours??

We could end up on the top of the table with a very healthy percentage after Round 1!!

Had the 2011 Members survey in my inbox today, and amongst the questions there was one along the lines of "Would you pay extra in your membership to attend the GWS home game"

Surely the AFL can't give up our traditional season opener vs St Kilda. :tongue:

Bas
8th September 2011, 05:20 PM
If the Giants have made the request, than it should be a Giants home game.

All good.....

That means Swans fans would have to pay to go. That will reduce the numbers somewhat.

AnnieH
8th September 2011, 06:04 PM
Had the 2011 Members survey in my inbox today, and amongst the questions there was one along the lines of "Would you pay extra in your membership to attend the GWS home game"

Surely the AFL can't give up our traditional season opener vs St Kilda. :tongue:

I honestly can't remember if we paid extra to see the Bulldogs/Norfs games (sorry, can't remember which team it was ... could have been both).
I do remember that I went to the games.

Glenn
8th September 2011, 06:23 PM
IIRC the Bulldogs game at the SCG was included.

Xie Shan
8th September 2011, 10:58 PM

They'd be crazy if they didn't do it, ANZ is more than big enough to hold both the Swans and Giants members with plenty of room left over... it'll be massive! Can't wait...

I don't see the attraction in having a standalone game though, I mean there's only ever one game a week in Sydney anyway, just have the game in Round 1 and be done with it!

hot potato
10th September 2011, 12:21 AM
I think they should play Port or the Kangaroos first and see how many show up then.....

Really looking forward to AFL in Sydney every weekend. Just watching Thugby League getting themselves so spooked out about it all is so entertaining and no-one does it more mischeivously than Sheeds....