PDA

View Full Version : Mega merged trading thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Matt79
16th September 2011, 11:55 PM
Planning for 2012 begins now...

Farewell Kennelly, C.Bolton, Bradshaw
Welcome Mitchell

Please discuss any trade news and list movement here...

toothy76
17th September 2011, 12:12 AM
Brian Lake

HBAsyd
17th September 2011, 12:13 AM
Jesse White has to go!

gazza
17th September 2011, 12:25 AM
likely delist candidates bevan,currie,meredith,sumner,moore,tdl

17th September 2011, 12:58 AM
Hey guys, we are already three down and after Tom Mitchell we'll have National Draft picks around 42, 59, 76 so I can't see us offloading too many unless we have our eyes on some cheap players or intend to promote a couple.

Sumner's situation is interesting and TDL has too much natural ability to be jetisoned just yet.

Not a good time to be making a lot of changes but we are in a better position than quite a few other clubs as we appear to have some good talent coming through and Mitchell for Pick 20 is a steal.

aardvark
17th September 2011, 01:02 AM
I still reckon Mal might retire...........pure speculation on my part though........

i'm-uninformed2
17th September 2011, 01:04 AM
I still reckon Mal might retire...........pure speculation on my part though........

Good call. I fear his body is starting to resemble Charlie sheen after a week in Colombia with his myriad girlfriends

alison.z
17th September 2011, 01:07 AM
Can't see a lot of movement this off season with all the GWS concessions and our commitment to Mitchell ... I also think we have so much talent on our list and we're just starting to get everything together. Give Spangher, White and Reid a pre season to figure each other out and take the best youngsters in the draft and I think we're set for a great 2012!

ugg
17th September 2011, 01:08 AM
We've traded in or picked a player from another club since Roos' reign except for one year.

2002 - Craig Bolton
2003 - redrafted Amon Buchanan, does that count?
2004 - Darren Jolly, David Spriggs
2005 - Paul Chambers, Ted Richards
2006 - Peter Everitt
2007 - Marty Mattner, Henry Playfair
2008 - Rhyce Shaw
2009 - Daniel Bradshaw, Josh Kennedy, Ben McGlynn, Shane Mumford, Mark Seaby
2010 - Andrejs Everitt, Matt Spangher
2011 - ???

aardvark
17th September 2011, 01:15 AM
Hopefully they will ditch the absurd sub rule and Pyke /Seaby will have a role next year.

SwansFan1972
17th September 2011, 01:31 AM
2011 - ???

someone mentioned Lake earlier - and he is sure peeved at the Dogs' handling of him this year - but he's got a dodgy bod and is on the wrong side of 30. We would have to be thinking a flag is 1-2 years away rather than 3-4.

Should be looking to work something with Rossy Lyon at Freo - they have a bit of quality across their list and he owes us one for the dempster/schneider gift he picked up from us. Only problem might be that he doesn't care so much about that now!

Carlton have some decent small crumbing forwards - hard to see us plucking one of them out, but never know.

Firrito from North seems to be a goer, but was not perhaps as good this year as in more recent ones. Might be looking for a freshen up.

Not much at Melbourne, Adelaide or Port to get excited about - and each of them will keep their best as far as they are able.

Clint Jones from St Kilda would be a good pick up. Not likely to be available though.

Hopefully there is a gem out there somewhere struggling to get a gig at their club who can flourish if we can grab him.

SwansFan1972
17th September 2011, 01:35 AM
Hopefully they will ditch the absurd sub rule and Pyke /Seaby will have a role next year.

+1

Ruckmen should collectively sue the AFL for discrimination. Four on the bench plus a sub would at least give second ruckmen some hope. Only problem is that represents an extra 18 players across the league, when two new clubs will have come on board in two seasons. Where all these extra players will come from is a problem.

top40
17th September 2011, 08:41 AM
Hey guys, we are already three down and after Tom Mitchell we'll have National Draft picks around 42, 59, 76 so I can't see us offloading too many unless we have our eyes on some cheap players or intend to promote a couple.

Sumner's situation is interesting and TDL has too much natural ability to be jetisoned just yet.

Not a good time to be making a lot of changes but we are in a better position than quite a few other clubs as we appear to have some good talent coming through and Mitchell for Pick 20 is a steal.

There are two key reasons why a large number of delistings is not a viable option this year. First there are already 3 (C. Bolton, Bradshaw, Kennelly) retirees and a likely 4th (Sumner). Second, the draft picks are low due mainly to GWS. The question remains: what to do with middle aged players like Moore, Bevan, and Seaby, who can't make the current 22. Particularly in regard to the former two, are they good enough to be trade baits?

ernie koala
17th September 2011, 08:55 AM
Our needs start with a big physical full forward who can offer a real target/ contest.
White has failed to produce and should go.
Brian Lake could do this role and should be looked at, IMO.

dimelb
17th September 2011, 09:18 AM
Hopefully they will ditch the absurd sub rule and Pyke /Seaby will have a role next year.Not going to happen. I think our best option in this area is to continue putting work into Pykey to replicate the kind of options we can see in West Coast and, let it be said after last night, Hawthorn. Mummy had it all over Hale and Bailey but he needs better support than Jesse can give, and Big Mike will make a very useful marking target down forward.
The other thing is the midfield.Hanners was carrying his shoulder and Parker probably should have started, Jack is still getting back into the thick of things and Macca was up and down, but we were beaten by a better outfit last night. We can do better with the personnel we have but my impression is we need to do something about the drop-off in intensity and do more to develop our outside game: we looked vulnerable when the game opened up. Another running mid is what we need.

Melbournehammer
17th September 2011, 09:49 AM
Our needs start with a big physical full forward who can offer a real target/ contest.
White has failed to produce and should go.
Brian Lake could do this role and should be looked at, IMO.

jesse offers far more than brian lake who at his best was a good back man and contested mark. but unless he has had a major attitude change there is no way that we would be recruiting him. unless we are going to play two rucks jesse is our best pinch-hitting ruck and forward.

really dominant full forwards don't grow on trees. there are next to none in the league at the moment with the exception of buddy, cloke and the west coast players. there are many many clubs with similar situations to our own with players who might be really good one week in 5-6 - tippett, walker, clarke, kosi, west off, the melbourne forwards,

and the sides that do have the next tier - the petries, the riewoldts etc are simply not going to let them go.

we simply have to work with what we have but actually make it work - lead away from the ball occasionally, stop having to look at pack marks all the time. and that actually comes back to the midfield - unless we start to generate players who can run the lines so that we can actually spot up targets, we will be stuck with the same game plan to the long kick to centre wing and hope to win the ball from the stoppage to create the next one 40 metres down the line.

sprite
17th September 2011, 06:36 PM
Would have to say that next year Mattner will probably see less game time, should be used as back up player now - whilst working with kids in ressies.

Cannot see many if any delistings.

Seaby may be worth something on the trade table, but I would prefer to keep him.

With Jesse - I say give him a run on the ball as a ruck rover (ala Goodes )

17th September 2011, 09:30 PM
+1

Ruckmen should collectively sue the AFL for discrimination. Four on the bench plus a sub would at least give second ruckmen some hope. Only problem is that represents an extra 18 players across the league, when two new clubs will have come on board in two seasons. Where all these extra players will come from is a problem.

The extra players are already there, it's the twenty or so ruckmen that are good enough but can't get a gig in the firsts because of the stupid sub rule!

Swansinger
17th September 2011, 09:36 PM

That rule has kept Jesse White in the team.
So , yeah - get rid of the rule !

Swansinger
17th September 2011, 09:39 PM
Jesse White has to go!

Scott said he is under-rated , So if North want him , they can have him.
To the folks making out a case for Jesse - wake up - he is not good enough.

Cardinal
17th September 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm going to blow this place sky high - you heard it here first:

Jetta to Freo...........
Two subs as of next year..........

Matt79
18th September 2011, 12:00 AM

Jetta to Freo...........
Two subs as of next year..........

Didnt he sign a new 2 year contract this year?

happy
18th September 2011, 12:05 AM
.. also in other improbable breaking news David Beckham to come out of retirement, switch codes and play FF for the swans ...

also Easter bunny for sub

ugg
18th September 2011, 01:52 AM
Lindsay Gilbee and Josh Hill according to the SMH.

ernie koala
18th September 2011, 08:43 AM
jesse offers far more than brian lake who at his best was a good back man and contested mark. but unless he has had a major attitude change there is no way that we would be recruiting him. unless we are going to play two rucks jesse is our best pinch-hitting ruck and forward.

really dominant full forwards don't grow on trees. there are next to none in the league at the moment with the exception of buddy, cloke and the west coast players. there are many many clubs with similar situations to our own with players who might be really good one week in 5-6 - tippett, walker, clarke, kosi, west off, the melbourne forwards,

Firstly : Lake has, and can, play FF well. Spent most of his junior days as a forward.
He is an excellent mark, reads the play and flight of the ball as well as anyone, and is a pretty good kick for goal.
Secondly : From what I've read this season, his form, or lack there of, is more to do with poor player/ injury management by the dogs, than Lakes attitude.
('The Eade factor', remember how Goodes and Kirk, to name 2, were travelling in 2002, then think about how they travelled in 2003).
Don't forget Lake was an All Australian the year before, and you don't get there with a bad attitude.
Third : The forwards you've named as being inconsistent nearly all played for inconsistent/ lousy teams...
The point you've inadvertently made is, that there are plenty of forwards with potential, presently playing for ordinary teams.

aardvark
18th September 2011, 11:38 AM
Chris Dawes still hasn't signed with the maggies.......anyone interested???

ScottH
18th September 2011, 11:55 AM
Chris Dawes still hasn't signed with the maggies.......anyone interested???

Yesterdays paper suggested he might be a good option for the Swans.

aardvark
18th September 2011, 12:07 PM
Yesterdays paper suggested he might be a good option for the Swans.

Yep I'm keen. Lets throw some money at him !!

DLBIA14
18th September 2011, 02:25 PM
Chris Dawes would be great (though I don't know how we'd be able to adequately compensate the pies...) and so would Brent Macaffer. His trade price wouldn't be too high and he would surely be seeking some opportunities to regularly play in a starting side.

Melbournehammer
18th September 2011, 07:56 PM
Firstly : Lake has, and can, play FF well. Spent most of his junior days as a forward.
He is an excellent mark, reads the play and flight of the ball as well as anyone, and is a pretty good kick for goal.
Secondly : From what I've read this season, his form, or lack there of, is more to do with poor player/ injury management by the dogs, than Lakes attitude.
('The Eade factor', remember how Goodes and Kirk, to name 2, were travelling in 2002, then think about how they travelled in 2003).
Don't forget Lake was an All Australian the year before, and you don't get there with a bad attitude.
Third : The forwards you've named as being inconsistent nearly all played for inconsistent/ lousy teams...
The point you've inadvertently made is, that there are plenty of forwards with potential, presently playing for ordinary teams.

actually the point I've advertently made is that good teams make good forwards and poor teams make poor forwards. and middle teams which i have to say is where we are have middling forwards. the reality is that it is the strength of your midfield which determines how well you play as a forward. and our midfield when we play the better teams is frequently slow and second to the ball because we condition our players to stop their opponents from getting it first, and play accountable team based footy. very few of our midfield players over the past decade have had brilliant skills or n ability to hit players lace out. most of our best passers have been the hffs schneider, buchanan, mcveigh when he plays forward, rok, or our hbfs such as mattner, mal, tadhg, shaw and our forward fiftys have been dominated by goodes.

i guess the point i have been trying to make is that white gets blamed because our side simply kicks high up and unders into the fifty, and it really doesn't matter who you put there for the majority of those kicks (cf friday night for the classic example of it) are simply rubbish kicks. and that is the case for most mid table to lower table teams.

roos has been simply scathing of lake on the couch this year - who knows maybe he was playing a double bluff to get him cheap but the way he was talking was not in my mind suggesting that he was a player roos would want at the swans. and long mire doesn't fall very far from the roos tree if you ask me.

Cardinal
19th September 2011, 09:28 AM
Chris Dawes would be great (though I don't know how we'd be able to adequately compensate the pies...) and so would Brent Macaffer. His trade price wouldn't be too high and he would surely be seeking some opportunities to regularly play in a starting side.

Hopefully the Pies are running into salaray cap issues and we get him cheap because they see us as no threat

Dosser
19th September 2011, 11:07 AM
i guess the point i have been trying to make is that white gets blamed because our side simply kicks high up and unders into the fifty, and it really doesn't matter who you put there for the majority of those kicks (cf friday night for the classic example of it) are simply rubbish kicks. and that is the case for most mid table to lower table teams.

Agree. White cannot take a contested mark and will only mark on the lead. For this reason our delivery into the forward line simply doesnt suit him. It is like our mids got all excited because Reid can take 3 or 4 contested grabs every game, so bomb it in 15 times in the hope that this time will be the one. The only time bombing it in is to our advantage is when ball movement is quick from the middle, so there is no time for the opposition to zone. This means that my point is emphasized - our game plan is all wrong. When we played Collingwood and moved the ball fast and bombed long it worked, but when we dont move the ball fast and still bomb it long, then players like Gibson simply hang back and create records for spoiling stats.

let's get our mids to move it quickly and White will become a much better player.

GongSwan
19th September 2011, 11:35 AM
On forward entries, our mark and play on percentage must go up. This is how you move the ball quickly and isolate targets forward. We don't match up well on teams like Carlton and Hawks because they outrun us and their bottom six players our better than ours. Run and spread, if we are recruiting anyone for anything

neilfws
19th September 2011, 11:54 AM
Article on Swans web site about our success in "recycling":

The Master Regenerators (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=123673)

Contains a rather ominous sentence: "Some seem to have fallen by the wayside - Mike Pyke, Mark Seaby, Paul Bevan, Nick Malceski."

Plugger46
19th September 2011, 12:05 PM
On forward entries, our mark and play on percentage must go up. This is how you move the ball quickly and isolate targets forward. We don't match up well on teams like Carlton and Hawks because they outrun us and their bottom six players our better than ours. Run and spread, if we are recruiting anyone for anything

Exactly right. This is where we get left behind sometimes.

Bleed Red Blood
19th September 2011, 03:38 PM
Not going to happen. I think our best option in this area is to continue putting work into Pykey to replicate the kind of options we can see in West Coast and, let it be said after last night, Hawthorn. Mummy had it all over Hale and Bailey but he needs better support than Jesse can give, and Big Mike will make a very useful marking target down forward.
The other thing is the midfield.Hanners was carrying his shoulder and Parker probably should have started, Jack is still getting back into the thick of things and Macca was up and down, but we were beaten by a better outfit last night. We can do better with the personnel we have but my impression is we need to do something about the drop-off in intensity and do more to develop our outside game: we looked vulnerable when the game opened up. Another running mid is what we need.

Agree with all of that. We are going to have a very, very good midfield in a few years, but right now we need a Paul Williams. Someone with pace, who can kick to our forwards advantage.

goswannie14
19th September 2011, 03:51 PM

Jetta to Freo...........
Two subs as of next year..........Ross Lyon wouldn't recruit a player who isn't a defensive tagger. Jetta would be the proverbial square peg in a round hole in any team Lyon coaches.

Bleed Red Blood
19th September 2011, 03:59 PM
Ross Lyon wouldn't recruit a player who isn't a defensive tagger. Jetta would be the proverbial square peg in a round hole in any team Lyon coaches.

... weird comment considering the team you support. and i wonder what kind of player you think goddard is? dal santo? strange

goswannie14
19th September 2011, 04:10 PM
... weird comment considering the team you support. and i wonder what kind of player you think goddard is? dal santo? strangeI find your comments equally as strange given he didn't recruit either of those that you mentioned.

I have never liked Ross Lyons defensive at all costs mentality.

I have supported the Swans for over 40 years, have seen coaches (and assistants) come and go. Just because they were paid by the Swans and my membership doesn't mean I have to like their style.

Melbourne_Blood
19th September 2011, 05:20 PM
Jetta needs to harden up, improve his skills, put on some size, and get an attitude adjustment. He can be part of the solution to our lack of pace/ slow ball movement. As will Rooster, and Lamb ( from what ive heard, not his pace but his ball movement is quick ). We do lack plenty in the run and spread category, it was so frustrating watching at the G on Friday, you could see how Hawks just had free players spreading whenever they got the ball. When we got it, know one would move.

Gezball
20th September 2011, 01:00 AM
ok.......... I admit it.............. I would secretly be happy if we picked up fev in the preseason draft..

Cardinal
20th September 2011, 02:05 AM
i rekon free agency would help the swans right now even with gws in yje mix

BSA5
20th September 2011, 05:17 AM
Ross Lyon wouldn't recruit a player who isn't a defensive tagger. Jetta would be the proverbial square peg in a round hole in any team Lyon coaches.

Lovett, Peake, Ray, Schneider... Most of the players Lyon has targeted in trade week have been outside players.

hot potato
20th September 2011, 06:02 AM
ok.......... I admit it.............. I would secretly be happy if we picked up fev in the preseason draft..
Yes. I am willing to give Fev his final hurrah at The Swannies.

ScottH
20th September 2011, 09:21 AM
Yes. I am willing to give Fev his final hurrah at The Swannies.

Me too.

jono2707
20th September 2011, 09:22 AM
Jetta will stay. I see Currie, Bevan and Moore as being on the shakiest ground. Can't see a huge amount of trade value for any of those guys although Bevan and Moore would deserve a crack elsewhere. I can't see us tinkering around the edges in trade week - if there is a big forward such as Dawes up for grabs we'll have a go, otherwise I don't see much movement on the trade front for us.

wedge.maverick
20th September 2011, 09:17 PM
From what I can gather recruiting Brian Lake would need a complete re-jig of the "NO D***HEADS" policy.:confused:

wolftone57
22nd September 2011, 09:53 AM
If we are going to improve our outside game then Rohan & someone like Jetta have to start on the wings. One could run from the Hb line but the wing would be best. No use starting your fastest player on the HFF. There will be more options next year in the mids with Mitchell onboard and now Lukie Parker has had a year he will be much better. Swing Lamb into the mix and there is some real talent to back up Hannas, Jack, Kanga, Goodsie & co. develop TDL as a leading small FF in the vein of Modra (he can take a very good contested) & use Pykie in the FP/Ruck. Don't need a massive FF as Williams proved (would still be playing if he wasn't so lazy).

TRADE BAIT; Bevo, Seaby, Moore, Sumner? (what did happen to him?), maybe White but I think he can still develop some big blokes take longer. I would love Sumner to stay if he can get over his home sickness but otherwise do a deal with Port or Adelaide.

wolftone57
22nd September 2011, 10:00 AM
No thanks! He has the wrong attitude and he affects the players around him. Look how the Blues have played since he left & they have had no incidents. When he was there other players also got in the poo because of an attitude that develops, 'if it is good enough for Fev it's good enough for me!'. Fev would be more dangerous up here as he would be relatively anonymous and he could dance merry hell & get away with much more than he could in Melbourne. The other thing is he doesn't have too many seasons left in him & we should look to the future 10 years not two.

22nd September 2011, 03:12 PM
Fev? No thanks. The guys a talent but is too much of a loose cannon off field and can suffer from the sulks on field.

He is also the wrong age unless you are a challenger in 2012 who needs a FF.
History is littered with clubs who recruited Fev age types thinking they were close to a flag but they were over rating themsleves, I'm thinking Wretchmond here in particular!

Chilcott
23rd September 2011, 10:37 AM
Tyson Goldsack anyone? Been dropped again by the Pies.

From the games I've seen, he goes OK. With the retirement of Kennelly and doubts about Malceski body, he could be a handy on the HBF.

I would accept a straight trade between Everitt and Goldsack.

23rd September 2011, 10:52 AM
After watching some of last night's footy show it would appear the Saints have big salary cap issues and could offload a big name for the right deal. What could we offer for Brendan Goddard ? He would be a sensational acquisition for us.

ScottH
23rd September 2011, 11:05 AM
After watching some of last night's footy show it would appear the Saints have big salary cap issues and could offload a big name for the right deal. What could we offer for Brendan Goddard ? He would be a sensational acquisition for us.

Certainly would, but it could cost us big time.

Melbourne_Blood
23rd September 2011, 11:15 AM
Grundy and a couple of picks ? White too >?

RBS1
23rd September 2011, 11:37 AM
I doubt we can get the deal done even if we could BJ enjoys strutting around Brighton to much to leave for Sydney

Dosser
23rd September 2011, 01:43 PM

From the games I've seen, he goes OK. With the retirement of Kennelly and doubts about Malceski body, he could be a handy on the HBF.

I rate Goldsack, but then so does Collingwood. I doubt we would be prepared to part with enough to trade for him. If we could get a couple of extra Sherrins for Everitt though, I would be happy.

BSA5
23rd September 2011, 09:39 PM

Collingwood would laugh us out the door. And I'm a comparative fan of Everitt.

DLBIA14
24th September 2011, 01:41 AM
Grundy and a couple of picks ? White too >?

@@@@ me, when did a 25 y.o KPD become expendable?? When Teddy and LRT are long gone, Reg will no doubt still be playing a vital role in the backline. It's ridiculous to suggest he should get traded.

Goddard is a gun and my second favourite Saint, but we don't have anything worth his value to trade. Oh and Fev will NOT come to Sydney. Does anyone really think he'd leave his family again when he's in such a fragile state? Delusions of grandeur! :rolleyes:

If we are trading its going to be for fringe players, which is unfortunate because we are in desperate need for some quality.

In my mind our priorities over the next 2 years are (in order of need):
- A full forward with a good marking/goal kicking ability
- A relatively young outside mid with a clean disposal by foot (I wouldn't mid a couple tbh)
- A crumbing forward
- Another small defender

The fact we have so many players coming off contract next year (with most in need of a contract upgrade) impedes our ability to spend though Goodes (most assuredly our highest paid player) can be placed inside the veterans list. The compromised draft is working against us as well if we want to trade. I'm hoping Seaby will get picked up by another club and we can snatch a 2nd round pick?

Tony Armstrong is again mentioned as a target, though I would like to see us go for someone like Kane Lucas? I'm sure he was a Swans fan, and although injuries have ruined his year to some extent, he's certainly talented. Carlton, although wanting a full forward, probably need another inside mid as well. Mclean was a failed trade so the problem still exists for them and we do seem to have a surplus of inside-mids.... I'm not naming who I think should be considered for trade (because I will inevitably be howled down), but yeah I would like for the club to chase Lucas.

sharp9
24th September 2011, 06:25 PM
Anyone know if Vardy and Hawkins are sewn up yet??? And then there's Dawes, of course - definitely out of contract. Though surprisingly he only scores one goal a game too (like Reid). What we REALLY need, though is a Shaun Burgoyne type...any ideas? Satin and Silk...but strong enough to break tackles and never loses his balance.

sharp9
24th September 2011, 06:26 PM
Or Marc Murphy ;-)

aardvark
25th September 2011, 11:02 AM
Season wrap with Josh Kennedy - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/123887/default.aspx)

Seems Josh has a younger brother who plays for Box Hill Ressies. Hmmm ???

Bas
25th September 2011, 12:45 PM
Anyone know if Vardy and Hawkins are sewn up yet??? And then there's Dawes, of course - definitely out of contract. Though surprisingly he only scores one goal a game too (like Reid). What we REALLY need, though is a Shaun Burgoyne type...any ideas? Satin and Silk...but strong enough to break tackles and never loses his balance.

Well Hawkins hasn't but I imagine there will be nothing till after the GF.

Should be another good trade period but painfully very long.

Cardinal
25th September 2011, 09:58 PM
Even discounting Goodes on the Veteran's list there must surely be scope in the current salary cap next year to recontract players on higher salaries. I would have thought that lack of funds was the least of our worries in any potential trading compared to lack of picks or cattle to offer up.

wolftone57
26th September 2011, 11:18 AM
We have three retirements; Craig Bolton, Daniel Bradshaw & Tadhg Kennelly. that leaves three places vacant.

Add to this according to the AFL rules these players would be elegable for veteran status; Adam Goodes (already elegable), Jude Bolton, Ryan O'Keefe & Rhyce Shaw. Each of these players will be over 30 on Septeember 2012 (all over 30 as of October 2011). They have all been on AFL lists for 10 years. Marty Mattner would be elegible if the rule applies to 10 years as of the start of the season, if not his will apply in 2013 as will Ted Richards.

These players are the most likely to be traded but remember with veterans and retirements we have some leeway.

Paul Bevan; would be a good player at Bullies or GWS
Andrejs Everitt; don't know if this experiment worked he sometimes showed glimpses of what he could be but just not enough
Nick Malcheski; this saddens me to have him here as he has been a great player for us but must be seen as trade bait at this stage. although I think he will be retained
Brett Meredith; Showed some good things but maybe not enough, they may perservere
Jared Moore; Bulldog may be kept around the club to help develop the young blokes but he may still want a shot at the big league & then he would be very good trade bait, Melb, Rich, Bullies or Crows
Mark Seaby; Maybe the extra ruckman. Several clubs are looking for a good first ruck. Try Port or Bullies.
Byron Sumner; Sad that this lad got homesickness because he has a lot to give. Very smart player & will be good for either Crows or Port
Jesse White; Developing but not quite there I think he will be retained but will have to step up next year or will be shown the door

liz
26th September 2011, 12:23 PM
Players have to be on a club's list for 10 years to be classified as a veteran, not just on any list. Fro
Sydney's point of view it doesn't make any difference. Two is the maximum for list size purposes, and hard to imagine for salary cap purposes that there is any point diluting further than Goodes, Bolton and ROK.

DeadlyAkkuret
26th September 2011, 08:46 PM
Rumour has it that the Swans would like Pendlebury, LeCras, Franklin and Riewoldt on their list in 2012.

ScottH
26th September 2011, 08:56 PM
Dawes is off the table (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124151/default.aspx)

wolftone57
26th September 2011, 11:59 PM
Rumour has it that the Swans would like Pendlebury, LeCras, Franklin and Riewoldt on their list in 2012.

Rumour has it all clubs want all of them on their lists in 2012, Oh Gee it's not a rumour it is fact!

wolftone57
27th September 2011, 12:10 AM
Players have to be on a club's list for 10 years to be classified as a veteran, not just on any list. Fro
Sydney's point of view it doesn't make any difference. Two is the maximum for list size purposes, and hard to imagine for salary cap purposes that there is any point diluting further than Goodes, Bolton and ROK.

According to the official AFL website rules; Veterans Rules; Any club can name as many veterans as they wish as long as they are 30 years of age & have been on the club list for 10 years. I see the problem now with Shaw & Mattner but I believe the veteran title should be transferable as it was in the '80's and earlier. The new rule allowing players to have veteran status allowing them to move to a new club after eight years without a clearance is going to make a mockery of this rule. Suddenly a very valued player walks out on your club without a cent going to the club. Strange that Demetrio is the CEO when this rule comes in as one of his old clubs, the Roos, benefited from a similar rule in the '70's & won two premierships.

wolftone57
27th September 2011, 12:13 AM
By the way I think we have a great deal of scope not to delist this year & also bring new players in either from the rookies or accadamy. If we do delist we have a greater scope of accadamy players or draft picks if we can get good preferential picks for the delisted players.

liz
27th September 2011, 08:22 AM
but I believe the veteran title should be transferable as it was in the '80's and earlier. The new rule allowing players to have veteran status allowing them to move to a new club after eight years without a clearance is going to make a mockery of this rule. Suddenly a very valued player walks out on your club without a cent going to the club. Strange that Demetrio is the CEO when this rule comes in as one of his old clubs, the Roos, benefited from a similar rule in the '70's & won two premierships.

I am confused. On the one hand you want veteran status transferrable when a player moves club, yet on the other you are bemoaning the imminent introduction of free agency that will enable players with many years service to move clubs without going through the draft or trading process. One of the major mechanisms available to clubs to retain their long serving, highest paid players is the lure of part of their salary falling outside the cap once they have reached age 30. If you allow veteran status to transfer when a player moves club, you are removing this one incentive for the very best players to stay put at their original club.

caj23
27th September 2011, 09:40 AM
Dawes is off the table (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124151/default.aspx)

He's not that good anyway and would struggle as the main focal point in our forward line. White or Everitt would look alot better playing in the Collingwood forward line

aardvark
27th September 2011, 03:04 PM
Recruiters should check out Port Melbourne. Valenti, Pinwell,Dwyer and Malcolm Lynch would all be worth a look, especially Lynch. Even Dean Galea is worth a thought if we are still looking for a decent forward.

ScottH
27th September 2011, 04:26 PM
Recruiters should check out Port Melbourne. Valenti, Pinwell,Dwyer and Malcolm Lynch would all be worth a look, especially Lynch. Even Dean Galea is worth a thought if we are still looking for a decent forward.

There the ones Ayres expects to lose next year.

How old is Rose?

Hartijon
27th September 2011, 05:47 PM
He's not that good anyway and would struggle as the main focal point in our forward line. White or Everitt would look alot better playing in the Collingwood forward line

Now thats something I would like to see.White and Everitt in the Collingwood forward line. Unfortunately that will only happen if we flood their forward line next time we play them.

wolftone57
27th September 2011, 06:08 PM
I am confused. On the one hand you want veteran status transferrable when a player moves club, yet on the other you are bemoaning the imminent introduction of free agency that will enable players with many years service to move clubs without going through the draft or trading process. One of the major mechanisms available to clubs to retain their long serving, highest paid players is the lure of part of their salary falling outside the cap once they have reached age 30. If you allow veteran status to transfer when a player moves club, you are removing this one incentive for the very best players to stay put at their original club.

The veteran status could be transferrable for players delisted by their original clubs and therefore not making it hard for their new clubs to keep them on the list. We have picked up a few players who were put up for trade bait or delisted by their original clubs over the years and most don't play the required 10 years for veteran status, 8 years would be better. Either that or transfer the years played and if they play over 5 years for their new club then they become elegible with years served at the old club. What I am saying about the new rule is if they are willing to allow players to move unimpeded after 8 years service then the veteran service year should also be 8 years not 10.

aardvark
27th September 2011, 08:01 PM
There the ones Ayres expects to lose next year.

How old is Rose?

25. Was on the list at the Bulldogs for a while. He's another medium forward, super accurate kick for goal, who may hold some interest.

ScottH
27th September 2011, 08:14 PM
25. Was on the list at the Bulldogs for a while. He's another medium forward, super accurate kick for goal, who may hold some interest.

Yeh, he's pretty good. Still fairly young.
Actually, most of the set shots were pretty accurate on Sunday.
I guess it's easier with no wind.

Couldn't get a run at the Dogs yet is starring at Port. Wonder if someone will give him another go.

liz
27th September 2011, 11:14 PM
The veteran status could be transferrable for players delisted by their original clubs and therefore not making it hard for their new clubs to keep them on the list. We have picked up a few players who were put up for trade bait or delisted by their original clubs over the years and most don't play the required 10 years for veteran status, 8 years would be better. Either that or transfer the years played and if they play over 5 years for their new club then they become elegible with years served at the old club. What I am saying about the new rule is if they are willing to allow players to move unimpeded after 8 years service then the veteran service year should also be 8 years not 10.

The kind of players who are most likely to benefit (or their clubs benefit) from the salary cap veteran rules are the kind of players who are never going to be delisted - ie the Adam Goodes and Ryan O'Keefes of this world who can command pretty high salaries even at the latter end of their careers.

Who is the "they" you refer to? The free agency agenda has been pushed to its current position by player demands, not by the AFL.

caj23
28th September 2011, 09:33 AM
Yeh, he's pretty good. Still fairly young.
Actually, most of the set shots were pretty accurate on Sunday.
I guess it's easier with no wind.

Couldn't get a run at the Dogs yet is starring at Port. Wonder if someone will give him another go.

Pretty similar to TDL isn't he?

chuckie
28th September 2011, 09:41 AM
Patty Rose very similar to another ex Port and Swan Jason Love not tall enough for a key forward and not fast enough for a flank but if he gets the ball close to goal he nearly always kicks a goal.

ScottH
28th September 2011, 09:44 AM

Yeh, I'd say yes.
I noticed he was pretty quick on the lead, fairly accurate kick, and when he didn't mark the ball, was after the ball like there was no tomorrow.

aardvark
28th September 2011, 10:09 AM

He would be stronger than TDL and probably fitter and a bit more mature. He's better than some of the duds getting a regular AFL game with other clubs.

wolftone57
28th September 2011, 12:01 PM
The kind of players who are most likely to benefit (or their clubs benefit) from the salary cap veteran rules are the kind of players who are never going to be delisted - ie the Adam Goodes and Ryan O'Keefes of this world who can command pretty high salaries even at the latter end of their careers.

Who is the "they" you refer to? The free agency agenda has been pushed to its current position by player demands, not by the AFL.

The players might have demanded it but the AFL has acquiesced and is making it a rule. They don't always acquiesce to player demands as the recent player payment dispute will testify. It doesn't matter where the 'Free Agency' rule originated it is becoming a law of the AFL and the origin of the rule is just pedantics. If you really want to be technical the rule was first introduced in the 1970's and North Melbourne won two premierships by recruiting all the players who had 10 years service. The rule was dropped when the salary cap was introduced. It was a players innitiative then too but then again it was adopted by the then VFL now AFL. All I am asking is if 'Free Agency" can be 8 years then why not make 'Veteran' status 8 years too and you would have less chance of losing players because of the salary cap & their being able to bugger off with no remuneration to the club.

robamiee
29th September 2011, 06:22 PM
when will we find out Swans delistings, cant be too much longer surely....

Triple B
29th September 2011, 06:46 PM

No real point in delisting anybody before the trade period starts, you never know, somebody may be interested or they can be thrown in to get a close deal over the line.

I know other clubs do it, but from memory in recent times we haven't made early delistings in the past few years...

Lucky Knickers
29th September 2011, 06:49 PM
I don't think they announce the cuts until after the B&F.

ScottH
29th September 2011, 08:08 PM
Oct 31.
Nov 16
Nov 30

Are the list lodgement dates.

Key 2011 draft dates - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=121152)

The key dates are in the RWO Calendar, so keep an eye on that at the bottom of the main forum page.

Bas
29th September 2011, 10:03 PM
I don't think they announce the cuts until after the B&F.

Yes that was the case last year.

wearebloods
3rd October 2011, 12:11 PM
Favourite piece of gossip for the silly season so far:

"There was a rumor that Heath Grundy was in Adelaide a couple of days ago. Could be involved in the Armstrong trade"

Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/hdecure/status/120426062793543680)

swansrob
3rd October 2011, 12:52 PM

"There was a rumor that Heath Grundy was in Adelaide a couple of days ago. Could be involved in the Armstrong trade"

Grundy and Sumner for Armstrong? Sounds like a fair deal :confused:

Big Al
3rd October 2011, 12:57 PM

It would obviously have nothing to do with the fact hes from SA and was visiting family. The silly season is in full swing.

wolftone57
3rd October 2011, 03:18 PM

RTTF what would possess the Swans to give a proven All Australian FB CHB up to Adelaide for an unproven Mid/HF? Ain't gonna happen & Al is right Reg has family in Adelaide, no doubt he rarely gets to see them during the season or even pre-season for that matter. Most kids who go off to play footy in other states say thet the time spent with their family is precious.

swanspant12
3rd October 2011, 03:33 PM
any gossip or trade rumours going around? post here..

Timmy Ellis
3rd October 2011, 03:52 PM
Goddard to Swans for Rohan.

Jack Reidwoldt to Swans for Reid.

royboy42
3rd October 2011, 03:55 PM
Hope your 7th post has some reasons??

longmile
3rd October 2011, 04:16 PM

Wishlisting or genuine rumours?

Cardinal
3rd October 2011, 05:04 PM
Tom Hawkins rumoured to be visiting New South Wales in the coming weeks too

Big Al
3rd October 2011, 05:11 PM

As I said, the silly season is well and truly upon us.

I heard from a friend of mines hairdresser whose daughter babysits for the cousin of the Collingwood interchange steward who heard from the brother of the head trainer that Pendlebury doesn't like FIGJAM and wants out to come to the Swans.

Lucky Knickers
3rd October 2011, 05:45 PM
.. that Pendlebury doesn't like FIGJAM and wants out to come to the Swans.

I need a lie down.

swansrob
3rd October 2011, 06:41 PM
This will be the Swans side for Round 1, 2012. This is confirmed. We will be very active at trade week...

Backs Matthew SCARLETT (Geel) Darren GLASS@(WCE) Corey ENRIGHT@(Geel)
Half Backs Rob MURPHY (WB) Ben REID (Coll) Leon DAVIS (Coll)
Centres Scott PENDLEBURY (Coll) Dale THOMAS (Coll) Sam MITCHELL (Haw)
Half Forwards Marc MURPHY (Carl) Travis CLOKE (Coll) Dane SWAN (Coll)
Forwards Stephen MILNE (St K) Lance FRANKLIN (Haw) Adam GOODES (Syd)
Followers Dean COX (WCE) Chris JUDD (Carl) Gary ABLETT (GC)
Interchange Matthew BOYD (WB)@ Nick DAL SANTO@(St K) James KELLY (Geel)

Drew PETRIE (NM)

wearebloods
3rd October 2011, 07:25 PM
Can anyone see the value of keeping Dylan McNeil (and Nathan Gordon) on the rookie list for a 3rd year?

How do you rate their chances of elevation to the Seniors?

Will there be any interest in them from GWS?

Have Parker, Murphy & another (unexpected?) year of Bolts killed Dyl's chances of a promotion?

4th October 2011, 01:02 AM
Can anyone see the value of keeping Dylan McNeil (and Nathan Gordon) on the rookie list for a 3rd year?

How do you rate their chances of elevation to the Seniors?

Will there be any interest in them from GWS?

Have Parker, Murphy & another (unexpected?) year of Bolts killed Dyl's chances of a promotion?

There is a limit as to how long you can be on a rookie list and I think it is two years, three for internationals and rookies from non AFL backgrounds.

I reckon Nathan Gordon would be a good chance of promotion to the senior list and McNeill will get another year on the rookies.

DLBIA14
4th October 2011, 01:43 AM
Will Kane Murphy be rookied? Perhaps I've got the wrong impression, but he seems to be rated?

Unfortunately I don't think we will have too many list changes, which won't bode well for our chances next year. Unless we inject some quality disposers I can't see up finishing higher than 6th/7th like usual. Personally a couple of the Collingwood boys ie. McCarthy/Macaffer would improve our squad without costing an arm and a leg.

Big Al
4th October 2011, 07:34 AM
Unfortunately I don't think we will have too many list changes, which won't bode well for our chances.

So you don't see any improvements in the group??

With another preseason for the youngsters. The injection of the likes of Lamb,Mitchell and Nipper into the seniors. Hopefully a good run of fitness for Pyke and LJ.

You still see no upside with this group??

longmile
4th October 2011, 07:39 AM
With another preseason for the youngsters. The injection of the likes of Lamb,Mitchell and Nipper into the seniors. Hopefully a good run of fitness for Pyke and LJ.

I'd love to see these 5 in the team next year, more than anything else.
However I struggle to think who would move over for them.

Big Al
4th October 2011, 07:48 AM
I'd love to see these 5 in the team next year, more than anything else.
However I struggle to think who would move over for them.

Yeah, who'd be a selector.

Okay, people let's see if someone can come up with a team with
- Nipper
- Chops
- LJ
- Tom (needs a nickname soon)
- Pyke

aardvark
4th October 2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah, who'd be a selector.

Okay, people let's see if someone can come up with a team with
- Nipper
- Chops
- LJ
- Tom (needs a nickname soon)
- Pyke
Here is the team that played the Hawks.......

B: Rhyce Shaw, Ted Richards, Lewis Roberts-Thomson
HB: Martin Mattner, Alex Johnson, Nick Smith
C: Josh P. Kennedy, Adam Goodes, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Sam Reid, Gary Rohan
F: Jesse White, Matt Spangher, Ben McGlynn
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack

Int: Tadhg Kennelly, Craig Bird, Daniel Hannebery, Luke Parker

As Grundy would have to come back you would need to drop 6.

OK
1.Kennelly
2.Spangher
3.White
4.Bird
5.LRT
6.Parker

and that's still leaving out Jetts and Mal.

I can't see that happening anytime soon Al.

Big Al
4th October 2011, 09:54 AM
Here is the team that played the Hawks.......

B: Rhyce Shaw, Ted Richards, Lewis Roberts-Thomson
HB: Martin Mattner, Alex Johnson, Nick Smith
C: Josh P. Kennedy, Adam Goodes, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Sam Reid, Gary Rohan
F: Jesse White, Matt Spangher, Ben McGlynn
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack

Int: Tadhg Kennelly, Craig Bird, Daniel Hannebery, Luke Parker

As Grundy would have to come back you would need to drop 6.

OK
1.Kennelly
2.Spangher
3.White
4.Bird
5.LRT
6.Parker

and that's still leaving out Jetts and Mal.

I can't see that happening anytime soon Al.

Goes to show the competition for places next year will be fierce. Hopefully the glass half empty people will realise that there are exciting times ahead.

Molly dooker
4th October 2011, 10:26 AM
Been sitting back watching the talk about big changes needed and have to put my two cents in.... Our list is pretty hot. Put Pyke in as our #1 back man, zone defence to assist with speed, although he's not that slow. We do need a foil for Sammy, don't think JW will be it. Hating any thought of losing Sammy as he will be a massive star for us.
Luke Parker, Chops, Ranga Rohan, LJ, AJ all big players in the next season. TDL maybe, Jetts maybe, but certainly worth sticking with.

DLBIA14
4th October 2011, 11:09 AM
So you don't see any improvements in the group??

You still see no upside with this group??

I do think our youngsters have a scope for improvement, but will we improve more than the teams around us? I'm not too sure. Of the players you've listed above only Lamb and TM excite me about their potential impact next year. Definitely players like Rohan, Reid and Parker will improve, but maybe ROK will have a shocker or JB will deteriorate fast.

Frankly I just don't see how were going to improve our glaring deficiencies with the squad we have right now. Our forward line is still shambolic, our skill use from our top old players down is disgraceful, our midfield doesn't break even with their top 4 counterparts very often at all.

Sorry, but that's what I honestly think. We have too much pride to slide down, but do we have enough talent to move up? Without a significant list change I doubt it, but believe me, I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

wearebloods
4th October 2011, 01:43 PM
#AFLdraft order (interim) has been released:

http://j.mp/ntj8mi

Our 1st live pick is #40

Will we trade to get back into the 1st round?

wearebloods
4th October 2011, 02:05 PM
Our 1st live pick is now #43 (not 40, thx to compo & priority selections)

ShockOfHair
4th October 2011, 02:14 PM
This is interesting, though a bit demoralising for some players.

An AFL website poll - who to keep, who trade
Sydney Swans Football Club - Rate Your List - AFL.com.au (http://rateyourlist.afl.com.au/sydney-swans/)

A lot of people want to get rid of Jarred Moore - 75%.

79% want to trade Bevan.
71% Sumner
55% Jesse

Sydney Swans Football Club - Rate Your List - AFL.com.au (http://rateyourlist.afl.com.au/sydney-swans/)

Go Swannies
4th October 2011, 03:05 PM
This is interesting, though a bit demoralising for some players.

An AFL website poll - who to keep, who trade

A lot of people want to get rid of Jarred Moore - 75%.

79% want to trade Bevan.
71% Sumner
55% Jesse

We're not as tough as others. Twice as many Pies supporters want to trade Dane Swan and Travis Cloke as Swans supporters who want to trade Craig Bird (who's level with Bartel and Chapman over at the Cats). And Jolly and Ling almost up there with Jetta and TDL on the trade stakes. Maxwell is on 18% to trade vs 1% for each of Goodes and McVeigh.

Go Swannies
5th October 2011, 07:53 AM
Adelaide Now says "Tony Armstrong has already requested a trade to Sydney".

scolsey22
5th October 2011, 11:07 AM
What is the deal with tony armstrong? I Havent seen any of his games, but is he worth anything to get.

DLBIA14
5th October 2011, 11:32 AM
He's pretty much worth nothing. Half-back flanker with good footskills, but is apparently quite soft. Played the last few games of the year and did well, but that's doesn't mean too much. Had discipline issues (DUI i think), but a Swans fan as a child so you'd expect him to show some effort.

I'd take him, but wouldn't outlay a lot or expect much from his first season here. Good insurance though considering our defenders are mostly a 26+ group and TK is gone.

DLBIA14
5th October 2011, 11:35 AM
Double post sorry.

ABloodsMan
5th October 2011, 11:38 AM
He's actually not that soft, copped a beauty from @@@@@ but got straight back up. Youtube footage of it somewhere I'll try find it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O-vz2DDw96k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DLBIA14
5th October 2011, 12:02 PM
He's actually not that soft, copped a beauty from @@@@@ but got straight back up. Youtube footage of it somewhere I'll try find it.

Well some people saw Barlow's first game for us and thought he was the second coming. A 'white' Adam Goodes I believe. :rofl The point is, isolated examples don't necessarily prove much. It's the Adelaide fans that are calling him soft so I tend to believe them.

Hope you are right though! :)

liz
5th October 2011, 12:22 PM
I reckon that labelling anyone who has played even a handful of AFL games as soft is a little rich. They might not all be as manic as Jude Bolton but you don't get to that level if you are "soft" by the standards of those of us who sit on our backsides watching the game.

Melbourne_Blood
5th October 2011, 01:06 PM
You dont stay soft for long at the swans. Besides, we've got enough tough as nails players, we need some silky skills to compliment our list. Its all about balance.

longmile
5th October 2011, 01:08 PM
I reckon that labelling anyone who has played even a handful of AFL games as soft is a little rich. They might not all be as manic as Jude Bolton but you don't get to that level if you are "soft" by the standards of those of us who sit on our backsides watching the game.

Normally I'd agree, but I cant think of another word to describe Jetta's effort for the majority of this season.

DLBIA14
5th October 2011, 02:07 PM

I disagree. You only get labelled 'soft' if your efforts contrast startlingly with the rest of your teammates. He doesn't have to be JB, but maybe he does have to work a little more on his attack on the ball. I'm not saying we shouldn't get him or that he doesn't provide something our team lacks, but that's the criticism of his game.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on the subject of TA. I was just reiterating what type of player people perceive him to be.

DLBIA14
5th October 2011, 02:07 PM

I disagree. You only get labelled 'soft' if your efforts contrast startlingly with the rest of your teammates. He doesn't have to be JB, but maybe he does have to work a little more on his attack on the ball. I'm not saying we shouldn't get him or that he doesn't provide something our team lacks, but that's the criticism of his game.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on the subject of TA. I was just reiterating what type of player people perceive him to be.

caj23
5th October 2011, 02:15 PM
You dont stay soft for long at the swans.

Andrejas says hi

Chilcott
5th October 2011, 02:50 PM
This Tony Armstrong is a worth punt if we can get him for a direct swap for Byron.

Byron will not play for any other team except an Adelaide based team, so if noone else from the Crows or Power is on the market, we should do the trade.

We could delist Byron and use the spot for a draft pick, but that's a risk as the draft is a bit skinny (they say that every year) and we probably wouldn't get much.

ShockOfHair
5th October 2011, 03:43 PM
Byron will not play for any other team except an Adelaide based team, so if noone else from the Crows or Power is on the market, we should do the trade.

When did Sumner say that?

msb
5th October 2011, 05:26 PM
No gossip or rumour on this, but any thoughts on us targeting jarrad waite from carlton? He is yet to commit to them and could be a handy inclusion in the forward line, although he is injury prone. Getting a satisfying trade may be too difficult though.

aardvark
5th October 2011, 05:53 PM
No gossip or rumour on this, but any thoughts on us targeting jarrad waite from carlton? He is yet to commit to them and could be a handy inclusion in the forward line, although he is injury prone. Getting a satisfying trade may be too difficult though.

I like Waite although he does suffer from a lot of injuries and does tend to get suspended quite often.........maybe a change of culture would help.

aardvark
5th October 2011, 06:07 PM
Xav Richards highlight package for all who are interested......

AFL Videos - AFL match replays - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/390666/xavier+richards+-+2011+highlights/default.aspx)

Kids a gun. Talk to him Ted, he needs to become a Swan.

Matt79
5th October 2011, 07:07 PM
Xav Richards highlight package for all who are interested......

AFL Videos - AFL match replays - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/contentid/390666/xavier+richards+-+2011+highlights/default.aspx)

Kids a gun. Talk to him Ted, he needs to become a Swan.

Would be great to have Big Ted and Little Ted on the same team!

Chilcott
6th October 2011, 08:41 AM
When did Sumner say that?

He may not have categorically stated this.

It is my assumption based on all the information I have read regarding his departure, e.g. homesickness, being closer to family.

Captain
6th October 2011, 09:55 AM
I would love us to go hard to get Goddard. He would be an absolute weapon for us.

Obviously premium players like him don't come for nothing. I would use ROK, Jack, Mattner, Malceski as bait.

Certainly would love to keep these 4 but the Saints would demand something pretty good.

S120
6th October 2011, 10:18 AM
Teddy's brother has the exact same sort of lope, kicking style and high arching forehead, I've just noticed.

aardvark
6th October 2011, 11:21 AM
Extract from http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124682/default.aspx

THERE was some nice symmetry in one of the ground level meeting rooms in the afternoon, with Xavier Richards, brother of Sydney Swans defender Ted Richards, having a long chat with a Swans official. Xavier, who hails from Xavier College in Melbourne, represented Vic Metro in three games at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and played in the Sandringham Dragons' TAC Cup Grand Final win last month.

Melbourne_Blood
6th October 2011, 12:11 PM
Andrejas says hi

...From the reserves....

liz
6th October 2011, 12:26 PM
I would love us to go hard to get Goddard. He would be an absolute weapon for us.

Obviously premium players like him don't come for nothing. I would use ROK, Jack, Mattner, Malceski as bait.

Certainly would love to keep these 4 but the Saints would demand something pretty good.

ROK and Mattner would have close to no trade currency given their ages. A club that thought it was very close to a premiership might take a look at ROK but the two obvious clubs are Hawthorn and Carlton, the exact two clubs that showed some interest two years ago but weren't prepared to offer up anything close to realistic trade value for him. His value would be less now because he is two years older. There is no way he would be of any value to a St Kilda side, especially a St Kilda side sans Goddard.

Malceski's current trade value would be well below his playing ability, given he's just come off an injury riddled season. We would be "selling" an asset at a market value less than its probable intrinsic value which is almost never a smart thing to do.

And Jack wouldn't get the Goddard deal done on his own (and I'd hate to lose him anyway).

If we were serious about going after Goddard, the Saints would be eyeing up players like Reid, Rohan and Hannebury. There is little point in securing Goddard if it cost us two of those three in the process.

Captain
6th October 2011, 12:53 PM
ROK and Mattner would have close to no trade currency given their ages. A club that thought it was very close to a premiership might take a look at ROK but the two obvious clubs are Hawthorn and Carlton, the exact two clubs that showed some interest two years ago but weren't prepared to offer up anything close to realistic trade value for him. His value would be less now because he is two years older. There is no way he would be of any value to a St Kilda side, especially a St Kilda side sans Goddard.

Malceski's current trade value would be well below his playing ability, given he's just come off an injury riddled season. We would be "selling" an asset at a market value less than its probable intrinsic value which is almost never a smart thing to do.

And Jack wouldn't get the Goddard deal done on his own (and I'd hate to lose him anyway).

If we were serious about going after Goddard, the Saints would be eyeing up players like Reid, Rohan and Hannebury. There is little point in securing Goddard if it cost us two of those three in the process.

Agree with Mattner, not so much with ROK.

I could see a deal happening along the lines of Jack + ROK for Goddard. Even Malceski + ROK for Goddard might work for them.

Agree we need to keep Rohan, Reid and Hanners. That is absolutely essential.

jono2707
6th October 2011, 01:35 PM
I would expect that we wont bother going for Goddard given the calibre of players we would have to give up. Next year's improvement will likely come from within - what's stopping Gary Rohan from being our Goddard in a few years' time anyway?

Ruck'n'Roll
6th October 2011, 02:47 PM
I would expect that we wont bother going for Goddard given the calibre of players we would have to give up. Next year's improvement will likely come from within - what's stopping Gary Rohan from being our Goddard in a few years' time anyway?

Gary Rohan could well be our Goddard & StevieJ

Dosser
6th October 2011, 03:43 PM
Gary Rohan could well be our Goddard & StevieJ

No, Chops will be our Stevie J.

Big Al
6th October 2011, 05:43 PM
No, Chops will be our Stevie J.

I hate placing labels on kids like this but Lamb has that x-factor about him just like Stevie.J.

robamiee
6th October 2011, 05:54 PM
why would you even offer Jack...i would rather us keep jack and the yng brigade...
Nick Mal might want to try elsewhere, but to get Goddard and all we have is pick 40 plus a player...
Maybe Offer White, Seaby and pick 40 for Goddard..

ROK still needed while we get more games into yng brigade...
Jed lamb from what i ahve seen and heard (not much) has a def x-factor about him...
LJ could be an offering as he might also want opportunities

Bas
6th October 2011, 08:41 PM
Well the Hun says the Swans aren't giving anything away regarding trade week. I think there might be a bit of a shake up coming.

Should be exciting.

Seems Amon's bump on ROK has saved him from the chop at the Lions. Not so for poor Xav Clarke.

Molly dooker
6th October 2011, 11:04 PM
Well the Hun says the Swans aren't giving anything away regarding trade week. I think there might be a bit of a shake up coming.

Should be exciting.

Seems Amon's bump on ROK has saved him from the chop at the Lions. Not so for poor Xav Clarke.

Armstrong from Crows for homesick Sumner - straight swap. JW still young, still improving and could come good seems like a good swap for Waite from Blues and Xav Clarke, plagued by injury in the past couple of years but if he's still available for a late pick he's worth the punt for nothing.

I love all this conjecture but really, stop this rubbish about trading Kizza he's staying, he's a NSW boy and wouldn't want to go anywhere else and he's way too important to us. I don't think there's going to be much movement on our behalf but it could be profound.

Bring on some more hypotheses I just love it. (clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)

ugg
7th October 2011, 08:28 AM
We have interest in Marty Clarke but he's set to go back to Collingwood via GWS

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-give-up-first-draft-pick-for-clarke-20111006-1lbr3.html#ixzz1a2Rl3MEE

How dodgy is the Richmond deal, swapping their pick 14 for GWS's pick 15 to gain a player?

Ruck'n'Roll
7th October 2011, 10:16 AM
We have interest in Marty Clarke but he's set to go back to Collingwood via GWS
I thought the Clarke2Swans speculation sounded like a load of rubbish, the sort of pointless rumour started by substandard sports "journalists" to pad out there submissions.

How dodgy is the Richmond deal, swapping their pick 14 for GWS's pick 15 to gain a player?
As it is presented it looks extremely dodgy, does anyone think Sheedy trade something away for nothing?
He's certainly capable of trading nothing away for something (the Swans have a long history with him doing that LOL) but not the other way around!

Melbourne_Blood
7th October 2011, 10:17 AM
I would be really confused if we traded for a Clarke ( X or Raph) , they are both useless spuds. Ask saints supporters.

jono2707
7th October 2011, 12:34 PM
I see no good reason for anything but the Sumner/Armstrong straight swap this trade week. I'm mostly happy with our squad and I think there's still improvement in most of them....That, and there isn't really anyone much to go after by the looks of things.

caj23
7th October 2011, 02:10 PM
I see no good reason for anything but the Sumner/Armstrong straight swap this trade week. I'm mostly happy with our squad and I think there's still improvement in most of them....That, and there isn't really anyone much to go after by the looks of things.

This

Even then I'd be happy to keep Sumner (if he was comitted) and throw a late draft pick the Crows way.

I am a little nervous however that the Swans have been a bit too quiet and have something big in the pipeline, they are good at keeping these things under wrap. We have the salary cap room but no obvious trade bait which is the concerning factor

swansrob
7th October 2011, 02:39 PM
Hopefully that extra salary cap room is being used to keep the likes of Reid, Parker, Johnson, Rohan, Hanners etc...

caj23
7th October 2011, 03:40 PM
There is a rumour on that other site that Schneider may be returning to the Swans.

Extremely unlikely but it would make me very:smile:

Rats desserting a sinking ship??

DeadlyAkkuret
7th October 2011, 03:53 PM
We're getting Milne?

Big Al
7th October 2011, 03:58 PM
We're getting @@@@?

That's an instant ban.

caj23
7th October 2011, 05:01 PM
Our forward line is so diabolical I'd take him, 50 goals from a forward pocket is nothing to be sneezed at

S120
7th October 2011, 06:07 PM
Our forward line was far from diabolical over the last 6 weeks of 2011. Just because they weren't kicking 20 goals a week, doesn't mean they weren't functioning well. When Rohan, Parker, Reid, Spangher and White all came together (with contributions from Goodesy, ROK, Mummy etc.), our team played much, much better.

caj23
7th October 2011, 06:55 PM
At this point in time we don't have a forward line to take us to the next level, hopefully that will change sooner rather than later.

Compare those names to what we had in the forward line in 2005 - Hall, Micky O, Davis, ROK, Schneider all capable of kicking 5 goals on their day. We don't have one player (excluding Goodes who is a mid for mine) who is capable of kicking 5

robamiee
7th October 2011, 11:25 PM
TDL pops up as one who can kick 4-5 for us...but needs his chances..
Please not Milne....Would welcome back Schneid's consistantly popped up for the saints bagging 2-3's a game...
i still think we need a power forward that can pop up and kick 4-5's consistantly. (but who is avail...How about getting BBBH for 1 season)

Go Swannies
8th October 2011, 12:32 AM
I spoke to TDL tonight and he said he's signed for two more years. I said that was great news and he said he knew what he had to do to play seniors.

Later spoke to Jesse who told me that he's not taking a break as he wants to be super fit for R1 next year - said he was just fit before the start of the season and that wore off as the season went on so he wants to be fitter earlier. Both were very keen about 2012.

Molly dooker
8th October 2011, 05:49 PM
MMMMmmmmmm. Just heard a whisper that the radio stations in Adelaide are talking about a trade of Bulldog (Moore) for Armstrong!!!!!

Ratna
8th October 2011, 06:02 PM
Don't want to see Moore go anywhere, but he is a luxury to have in reserves and good luck to him if he goes elsewhere

Triple B
8th October 2011, 07:05 PM
MMMMmmmmmm. Just heard a whisper that the radio stations in Adelaide are talking about a trade of Bulldog (Moore) for Armstrong!!!!!

Gee, you'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

As popular as Bulldog is and all that, the reality is he's destined to remain in our reserves if he stays, so a reserves player for a potential seniors player is a no-brainer...

Bas
8th October 2011, 09:16 PM
Sumner has no trade value. He can just opt out and get delisted. The Crows then pick him up in the draft because nobody else will take him.

So it makes sense that they will go for Moore. It would be win-win for both Clubs.

I think the Armstrong trade will be done early.

Anyone guessing how many trades the Swans will do overall?

I'm guessing 4.

Moore - Crows
Bevan - GWS
Seaby - GWS
Meredith - a Victorian Club
Jetta - Fremantle. Because we always semm to be giving Lyon someone

OK it's 5 but the last one doesn't count - I hope. However, someone might want to take Currie as a two player package.

aardvark
8th October 2011, 10:31 PM
Some talk around that Collingwood are interested in Seaby and Jolly may retire. Whisper is his knee is not repairable.

Bas
8th October 2011, 11:13 PM
Some talk around that Collingwood are interested in Seaby and Jolly may retire. Whisper is his knee is not repairable.

Woudn't have seen that coming. Depending on the accuracy of the source. I suppose a swap for Ben Reid would be out of the question.

BSA5
9th October 2011, 02:02 AM
Woudn't have seen that coming. Depending on the accuracy of the source. I suppose a swap for Ben Reid would be out of the question.

Throw in Kieran Jack and they may consider it. ;)

ernie koala
9th October 2011, 09:48 AM
My crystal ball says.....
1) Seaby to Pies, Goldsack to Swans
2) Moore to Crows, Armstrong to Swans
3) Bevo to GWS, 3rd round pick to Swans

Bas
9th October 2011, 10:08 AM

That sounds pretty good. I'm sure I heard the Goldsack touted somewhere before, probably on RWO.

Bevo sounds right too.

Rumours around my house this morning about Jolly are that Mrs Jolly sat on his lap and the knee collapsed under the weight of her ego :D

aardvark
9th October 2011, 10:47 AM
There is a Brodie Grundy at draft camp, comes from the same place as Reg. If he's related we could have little Ted (Xavier) and little Reg although little Reg is over 200cms:o

caj23
9th October 2011, 10:51 AM

Doubt that Jolly will retire but having said that I reckon he's done. His degenerative knee condition combined with a career as a crash and bash ruckman will almost certainly ensure he won't see out the remaining 2 years of his contract. Hopefully he causes them some financial pain by retiring mid season!!!

Goldsack mentioned in earlier posts, good player who deserves more opportunity but do we really need another 3rd tall defender???

penga
9th October 2011, 11:02 AM
Kurt Tippett anyone?

aardvark
9th October 2011, 11:11 AM
Kurt Tippett anyone?

We'd have to move the club to Qld for that to happen............

ugg
9th October 2011, 12:57 PM
There is a Brodie Grundy at draft camp, comes from the same place as Reg. If he's related we could have little Ted (Xavier) and little Reg although little Reg is over 200cms:o

Nope not related.

longmile
9th October 2011, 11:57 PM

I like this crystal ball.
Mind my ignorance but I dont really know Goldsack. What type of player is he?

BSA5
10th October 2011, 02:18 AM
I like this crystal ball.
Mind my ignorance but I dont really know Goldsack. What type of player is he?

Key defender/third tall, but also can play as a rebounder and play smaller. Bit of a jack of all trades, master of none in the defensive line, but not a bad player. Personally I'm not sure we need him, AJ is a similar player who looks like he'll be superior (if he isn't already), and Campbell Heath is also a bit in the same mould. I'm not convinced he'd be a best 22 player at the Swans. Value wise, probably fair enough swap with Seaby, but I reckon we could target a player that's a better fit.

Cardinal
10th October 2011, 07:33 AM
We should take a long hard look at the saint's list. Chris Pelchen who we all love from his hawk's days is there now and is ruthless and meticulous. if he thinks the premiership window is over and you will not be part of the next gf team you are gone (possibly). there's big opportunities with saints lists if we can find some picks to give up

ScottH
10th October 2011, 07:59 AM
Post your rumours and official trades.

Claret
10th October 2011, 10:28 AM
Tom Mitchell taken by the Swans under father-son with their First Round Draft Pick (21).

He's just finished speaking on AFL Trade Week Radio.

Plough suggests he would have gone "top half dozen" if not for father-son.

Tom spoke well, if not full of the expected cliches (thanks Jenny McAsey!). Looking to earn the respect of his team-mates at training.

aardvark
10th October 2011, 10:28 AM
Father son bidding completed. Mitchell to Swans for first Rnd pick.

ugg
10th October 2011, 10:58 AM
Freo bid their pick 16 for T-Mitch, hence we had to use our pick 21 to nab him.

wearebloods
10th October 2011, 10:58 AM
For the Dan Currie Fanboys, his manager speaks:

@DAEX77 out of contract mate, has developed into a very strong mobile ruckman....

http://twitter.com/mpask/status/123169865635868674

Melbourne_Blood
10th October 2011, 11:47 AM
Dayne Beams ?

Cant turn right
10th October 2011, 12:01 PM
Dayne Beams ?

Tats on Swan players are not a good omen

Bas
10th October 2011, 12:58 PM
Cam Mooney on Trade Week radio says the Swans should definately keep Jesse unless something big comes on offer. He said Jesse is similar in development to Podsy and will come good.

Can't argue with that coming from a retiring opposition player.

Swans seems very quiet or there's nothing happening. From the various net articles, Crows will want to be compensated for Armstrong and Sumner to fall through to the "delisted" bin.

nomae
10th October 2011, 01:41 PM
Sam Gilbert anyone? Saints are over their salary cap...

Damien
10th October 2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124864/default.aspx

Fev out, although slightly cryptic in his responses I thought.

Armstrong deal unlikely to be sorted until later in the week, Horse is hopeful though.

Melbourne_Blood
10th October 2011, 02:31 PM
Sam Bilbert 09/10 yes, 11 no!!!!

Melbourne_Blood
10th October 2011, 02:33 PM
Gilbert*

Bleed Red Blood
10th October 2011, 03:17 PM
I hope we keep Dan Currie. We've stuck with him for five years so he must have something, he is better equipped than any 18 year old we would draft in his stead, and just as likely to make it.

msb
10th October 2011, 03:36 PM
Re fev, I havent heard the interview but for horse to say 'not at the moment' does not totally rule him out IMO. Obviously we dont have to trade for him so the immediate concern seems to be for armstrong and perhaps think about fev around the draft or PSD times.

Dosser
10th October 2011, 03:58 PM
Gilbert*

Wasnt Sam Bilbert Frodo's friend?

Reggi
10th October 2011, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't trade Jesse - with Cam Mooney who took a while too come on. He needs to get fit, but we would need to get traded. Trade Week Radio has said Horse has said he does not want to trade him. Which is smart

bennyfabulous
10th October 2011, 05:37 PM
Paul Bower anyone?

This articlehttp://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124889/default.aspx suggests he wants a trade.
I know we dont need another back but i rate him pretty highly when injury free.

Melbourne_Blood
10th October 2011, 05:45 PM
Yes, yes i beleive he was haha

ShockOfHair
10th October 2011, 06:19 PM
Freo bid their pick 16 for T-Mitch, hence we had to use our pick 21 to nab him.

Every year there's something in trade week that completely mystifies me. Is there any sound reason why Freo would have bid for Mitchell? Or is making the Swans use up a first-round pick considered normal practice?

ABloodsMan
10th October 2011, 06:32 PM
Normal practice. It doesn't matter who, someone would have bid in the first round to make sure Sydney used their first round pick for a talent that could have gone top 10.

Molly dooker
10th October 2011, 06:35 PM
Every year there's something in trade week that completely mystifies me. Is there any sound reason why Freo would have bid for Mitchell? Or is making the Swans use up a first-round pick considered normal practice?

Swans website says Mitchell senior (legend) has been the mids coach for Free'o for the past three years and resigned a month ago to move back to Melbourne.

He should just keep on moving right on up to Sydney with Junior and watch him become a star for us.

ugg
10th October 2011, 07:17 PM
Normal practice. It doesn't matter who, someone would have bid in the first round to make sure Sydney used their first round pick for a talent that could have gone top 10. Whilst I don't doubt the validity of that statement, I suspect that Freo wouldn't have been unhappy to nab Mitchell with pick 16. Nor would any of the other clubs below Freo in the draft order

ABloodsMan
10th October 2011, 07:29 PM
No doubt, but that doesn't change the fact that realistically they had a 0% chance of getting him. Just making sure we paid a fair price for him.

Bas
10th October 2011, 08:41 PM
Longmire's article interview here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124864/default.aspx

Day 1 - Tom Mitchell Day

At the extent of the news out of trade week so far, Armstrong is the only person on the radar.

Longmire mentions a forward, I wonder who they have in mind, if anyone. Usually a fair bit of news comes out of Day 1 of Trade Week and then it goes quiet for a few days while Clubs wheel and deal.

So maybe the Swans might not be significant movers and shakers.

I've run out of cliches!!!!

ugg
10th October 2011, 09:11 PM
So the Armstrong deal is still some way from being completed. Adelaide are reportedly wanting some players back after they trade out Gunston, Armstrong and Maric. Could this be a good opportunity for us to unload a Moore, Bevan or even Seaby if both Maric and Tippett leave the Crows. I don't place Sumner under this category as I think he has little to no trade currency, being a 1 game homesick player.

Captain
10th October 2011, 09:55 PM
Not at the moment for Fev, Horse says.

I might be straw clutching, but that's not a definite no! :smile:

Beesto
10th October 2011, 10:00 PM
We did the same thing to the dogs last year with Dimma, so we can't complain

Beesto
10th October 2011, 10:03 PM
We can't complain as we did the same thing to the dogs last year. If it wasn't Freo it would have been one of the other clubs. Let's just be happy that we have been able to get a quality kid for pick 21.

robamiee
10th October 2011, 10:30 PM

yes you are clutching at straws....Are you Fev's new manager you have been pushing for him hard on here....

Primmy
10th October 2011, 10:31 PM
The rule this year is that if another club wants to bid for a father son player they can, and it makes the FS club make a decision - how much do we want him, what are we prepared to pay. We are not now getting something for nothing. There is a charge. In our case, our first round draft pick.

If we had decided he wasn't worth it, then Freo would have had him as they nominated a higher draft pick than we actually had. The ball was in the Swans court and a decision was made to keep him and pay up our first round draft pick. Our advantage is that he was in fact a FS, so we got first option. Makes sense to me. Still got him cheap.

sharp9
11th October 2011, 06:07 AM
The bidding system is not to stop father son pick-ups (though that could happen one day if another club rates a pick much higher than the entitled club) but to stop absurdities like Gary Ablett - the #1 draft prospect - going to Geelong for pick 35....J. Brown the same. If Marc Murphy has said "yes" to Brisbane he would have gone for a pick in the 40s!!!!!

ABloodsMan
11th October 2011, 07:06 AM
Sharp, Ablett was no where near the number 1 draft prospect when he was drafted. He was a small forward with a suspect tank. Would have went there abouts in the real thing, maybe even lower if he wasn't picked up through father son.

Big Al
11th October 2011, 07:21 AM

It was a strange comment from Horse. Usually it's a definite no from the clubs but "not at the moment" does allow for some wriggle room.

Reggi
11th October 2011, 07:40 AM
The Australian reported lukewarm interest in Meredith and Bevan. Not surprising on Meredith, doesn't seem to have a high workrate. Herald Sun mentioned some interest in Seaby from Port Adelaide.

Sounds like not a lot

Bas
11th October 2011, 08:03 AM
Sharp, Ablett was no where near the number 1 draft prospect when he was drafted. He was a small forward with a suspect tank. Would have went there abouts in the real thing, maybe even lower if he wasn't picked up through father son.

Not according to everyone else in AFL. There was never anything suspect about him except how big a star he would become.

You might be getting confused with his brother Nathan.

jono2707
11th October 2011, 08:17 AM
The Australian reported lukewarm interest in Meredith and Bevan. Not surprising on Meredith, doesn't seem to have a high workrate. Herald Sun mentioned some interest in Seaby from Port Adelaide.

Sounds like not a lot

I'd like to see us keep Meredith - I still think he has improvement in him and could develop further in 2012. Too early to be giving up on him IMHO.

ABloodsMan
11th October 2011, 08:42 AM
Not according to everyone else in AFL. There was never anything suspect about him except how big a star he would become.

No, he came through in the same draft as Hodge/Judd/Ball/Bartel. And he was no where near as highly rated as those guys. The vezspremi of his draft. Although he came good.

liz
11th October 2011, 09:48 AM
ABloodsMan is on the money re Ablett's perceived value at the time of the draft. His surname might have meant he went slightly higher than he did under the FS but he wouldn't have gone at a draft spot that reflects his actual performances.

Tom Hawkins was the one touted as a top 5 pick that the Cats got for next to nothing, and the player that caused the AFL to change the rules to introduce the bidding system.

royboy42
11th October 2011, 10:04 AM
No point in bitchin about Freo making sure we paid the max possible for Mitchell...

It's a business people..a business.

These guys are in competition with us, on AND off the field.

bennyfabulous
11th October 2011, 08:17 PM
Was there any chance of us using pick #21 on a trade before the bidding system for FS's to thwart the system?. That way we could of got something for pick #21 and then used our next pick on Mitchell. Or even trade all our picks and save 1 for Mitchell.

ABloodsMan
11th October 2011, 08:20 PM
Nope, Father/son bidding happens before trade week officially begins.

swansrob
11th October 2011, 08:23 PM
Was there any chance of us using pick #21 on a trade before the bidding system for FS's to thwart the system?. That way we could of got something for pick #21 and then used our next pick on Mitchell. Or even trade all our picks and save 1 for Mitchell.
The FS bidding takes place first thing Monday morning of trade week. There's no thwarting the system.

bennyfabulous
11th October 2011, 08:29 PM
Ahh, Makes sense i guess. Im sure he wil be worth it anyway.

Bas
11th October 2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124979/default.aspx

Seems we can trade back "valued stopper" Dempster as he remains unsigned.

Collingwood off loading half-forward Brent Macaffer and midfield prospect John McCarthy. That would be a good swap for Seaby maybe.

11th October 2011, 10:10 PM
From what I've read of the opinions of those who really do know, Tom Mitchell was rated a top half dozen prospect this year if he wasn't F-S.

So to get him during one of the last two drafts was a bonus as if it hadn't been for GWS having 9 picks early in the draft we would have had a first pick of 12 this year and you can bet whoever had 10 or 11 would have bid for him to make us use pick 12. On the basis he should have been say pick 6, we got him 15 picks cheap, like getting Gary Rohan for pick 21.

The Bulldogs struck real gold last year only having to use picks 22 and 44 from memory to grab a top 10 and top 20 prospect. So the two big winners during these two comprimised drafts have been the Bulldogs and ourselves, mmmm, nice :-)

Now lets hope Tom Mitchell has a long and successful career which I'm sure he will. Seems to be made of the bloods stuff and has a balanced mature head on his shoulders. He should be another brick in our new look midfield which I'm liking more all the time.

The Big Cat
11th October 2011, 10:45 PM
There's no thwarting the system.

Seems GWS is thwarting the other system which makes them trade their selected 17 year olds. Seems they are trying to work a deal with three other clubs that would see that prized kid be passed through other hands and back to GWS. Smacks of draft laundering!

liz
11th October 2011, 11:18 PM
Seems GWS is thwarting the other system which makes them trade their selected 17 year olds. Seems they are trying to work a deal with three other clubs that would see that prized kid be passed through other hands and back to GWS. Smacks of draft laundering!

Definitely smacks of draft laundering. Though apparently Andy A has now come out and said that the deal won't wash. The report on the AFL website is a bit amiguous because on the one hand it quotes Anderson as saying the proposed trade is against the spirit of these picks being intended to be on-traded, yet also says that a deal of this nature hasn't been completely ruled out. The latter only makes sense if the AFL has rejected the proposed deal on a technicality (eg one of more legs of the trade clearly aren't "fair value), leaving the door open to the clubs reworking an alternative proposal. If they have rejected it based on "the spirit" of the intention, it is hard to see how any variation will be accepted.

What this is doing is taking up loads of energy of the four clubs involved, which presumably is irritating other clubs hoping to get deals done. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the three non-GWS clubs if the whole concept is thwarted, given for a while they thought they'd be getting something pretty value for close to nothing. Will they sulk? Will they be more aggressive in their subsequent approach to trades?

BSA5
11th October 2011, 11:36 PM

Nathan was actually rated higher as a junior, from memory. Gary wasn't rated highly at all, certainly not in the top echelon in that draft.

DeadlyAkkuret
11th October 2011, 11:45 PM
We should be going for Toovey imo. We need to get one back on Collingwood, anyway.

ugg
12th October 2011, 12:14 AM
Port talking to Seaby, although it will be hard to see what they can offer us if they've ruled out their first round pick, their priority pick and look set to use their second round pick for Brad Ebert. Any Port players pique our interest?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-plots-for-brad-ebert/story-fn69a32t-1226164307001

BSA5
12th October 2011, 12:19 AM
Port talking to Seaby, although it will be hard to see what they can offer us if they've ruled out their first round pick, their priority pick and look set to use their second round pick for Brad Ebert. Any Port players pique our interest?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-plots-for-brad-ebert/story-fn69a32t-1226164307001

We'd be mad not to enquire about Pearce, but Seaby wouldn't get the job done alone, you wouldn't think. Seaby would be a great fit for Port though.

ugg
12th October 2011, 12:31 AM
Would he want to go though? Rohde has come out and said that they are looking for a mature player to act as backup to Lobbe who they see as their number 1 ruck going into 2012.

DeadlyAkkuret
12th October 2011, 12:43 AM
Lol Seaby forever a backup ruck. Must really irritate him you'd think.

liz
12th October 2011, 12:51 AM
We'd be mad not to enquire about Pearce, but Seaby wouldn't get the job done alone, you wouldn't think. Seaby would be a great fit for Port though.

Seaby would be not even close to securing Pearce, and Port would be nuts to trade him unless a club offered a completely OTT trade.

Would he want to go though? Rohde has come out and said that they are looking for a mature player to act as backup to Lobbe who they see as their number 1 ruck going into 2012.

If I were Seaby and I was pretty sure that Pyke was seen as the most likely support ruck to Mumford, and possibly even on an even footing as back-up first ruckman if Mummy was injured, I would want to go. Worst case for him is that he spends the last few years of his career playing SANFL rather than NEAFL.

And maybe I am being naive about the Swans' attitude, but I could see them letting him go with their blessing and not driving too hard a bargain. Maybe Port have a fringe player of interest to Adelaide that could be used as part of a deal to secure Armstrong, given they have reportedly turned up their noses at our fringe players.

cruiser
12th October 2011, 04:24 AM
Normal practice. It doesn't matter who, someone would have bid in the first round to make sure Sydney used their first round pick for a talent that could have gone top 10. An act of bastardry by Freo who have now earned my contempt (to think we use to be 'friends').

Big Al
12th October 2011, 07:38 AM
An act of bastardry by Freo who have now earned my contempt (to think we use to be 'friends').

So your saying the other clubs should just let us take a gun kid at pick 300. The rule was changed so that wouldn't happen. Freo did exactly the right thing and it was up to Sydney to whether Tom was worth our first rounder at pick 21. We got an absolute bargain in my view.

Go Swannies
12th October 2011, 07:59 AM
So your saying the other clubs should just let us take a gun kid at pick 300. The rule was changed so that wouldn't happen. Freo did exactly the right thing and it was up to Sydney to whether Tom was worth our first rounder at pick 21. We got an absolute bargain in my view.

If that's so, why didn't Geelong need to use its first pick for Jed Bews and Carlton for Dylan Buckley? Only the Swans appear to have been forced to give up first choice for Mitchell. I'm hoping he really is a gun for us for years to come but the three F/S deals seem unequal.

liz
12th October 2011, 08:19 AM
If that's so, why didn't Geelong need to use its first pick for Jed Bews and Carlton for Dylan Buckley? Only the Swans appear to have been forced to give up first choice for Mitchell. I'm hoping he really is a gun for us for years to come but the three F/S deals seem unequal.

Because Mitchell is deemed to be a player who would be taken in the first round if not a FS and the others aren't. The deals are unequal because the players involved are thought to be unequal. Not rocket science.

Dosser
12th October 2011, 08:22 AM
I just cant believe this discussion.

Bews and Buckley didnt get any interest from other clubs because they arent as good. End of story.

If we saw that a club was going to get a steal with a FS pick of a top 10 player at pick 60 then we would want to stop that - oh hang on, we already did with the Bulldogs. I'm sure that if Freo hadnt bid on Mitchell then the last club in the round would have bid on him just to ensure that we dont get away with a steal. It is logical and fair and we have done it, too.

So stop thinking that Fre have done the dirty on us because if it wasnt them then one of the other clubs would have just to keep it all fair.

Big Al
12th October 2011, 08:23 AM

Which means the new rule works. Tom is regarded as more valuable than those other two so you should have to pay more. If not for the f/s rule it's evident that Tom doesn't get to pick 21 so we got a bargain.

Go Swannies
12th October 2011, 08:35 AM
Because Mitchell is deemed to be a player who would be taken in the first round if not a FS and the others aren't. The deals are unequal because the players involved are thought to be unequal. Not rocket science.

Makes sense. So the Cats and Blues could have picked up their players with a last pick in the 70s anyway without invoking the F/S provisions at all?

Melbourne_Blood
12th October 2011, 08:53 AM
Toovey, is he the right fit for us ? Is he worth what he will be askking for money wise ? And do we have anything to trade for him ...

Melbourne_Blood
12th October 2011, 08:55 AM
Mcaffer and Mccarthy, what are they like as players ?

Chilcott
12th October 2011, 09:56 AM
McCaffer - solidy built, but slowish, half forward type, much in the same mould as Richmonds Morton (but don't quote me on that).

Don't know much about McCarthy. Can't remember watching any of his games in the last few years.

Bas
12th October 2011, 10:19 AM
Trade week radio (TWR) reporting that Port has "upt the ante" on getting either Renouf or Seaby now and that there has been a fair bit of discussion this morning. Wallace thought they should go for Renouf has has better all round value.

They think that the GWS 17 trade on Thursday is holding up a whole stack of deals taking place.

The GWS quashed deal could be back on as Silvagni was meant to appear on TWR but said something important has come up and would come on later today.

Bas
12th October 2011, 10:51 AM
TWR reporting (Peter Linton - player manager) that there may be a 3 way trade with another Club regarding Armstrong. They originally wanted a draft pick but they realised that they might be players short.

Sydney was not keen to trade the players the Crows wanted so now it has gone to the 3 way. Linton didn't know who the third Club was.

I'm guessing might be linked around Seaby. However that is just a wild guess.

caj23
12th October 2011, 11:46 AM
Toovey, is he the right fit for us ? Is he worth what he will be askking for money wise ? And do we have anything to trade for him ...

Very limited backman with average footskills who looks better as he is in a quality side. Given we don't need any defenders I doubt we'd bother.

McCaffer on the other hand is a pretty handy 3rd forward option who could be add something to our team if the price is right and he's over his injury issues

royboy42
12th October 2011, 02:08 PM
I don't think that's necessarily right. The fact that no one wanted them as a high pick wouldn't stop anyone taking them at 30 40 or wherever. All it means is that they weren't regarded as high picks.
It's confusing and i don't put gospel belief behind what I've said..just MHO.

Triple B
12th October 2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think that's necessarily right. The fact that no one wanted them as a high pick wouldn't stop anyone taking them at 30 40 or wherever. All it means is that they weren't regarded as high picks.
It's confusing and i don't put gospel belief behind what I've said..just MHO.

No, nobody wanted them, period.

There was nothing stopping any club bidding for either of the boys. If somebody thought that Buckley was around a pick 40, they could easily have bid Pick 50 or 60, whatever pick they had around that mark. That would have forced Carlton to use their next pick. As it is now, Carlton just pick him after they have used whatever picks they want to pick other players.

royboy42
12th October 2011, 03:35 PM
Got it BBB ta.

iigrover
12th October 2011, 04:50 PM
Mark Seaby off to Port...

ernie koala
12th October 2011, 04:53 PM
Mark Seaby off to Port...

For what in return?