PDA

View Full Version : Morton high lights !!

Auntie.Gerald
5th November 2011, 02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhki7oRxKZk&NR=1 = Morton 2007 WCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6de7wfq6fs&feature=related = Morton steady 2 shots in 2mins 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI2sjYFvKxE = Morton 2009 in his yr he scored 40 or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5lUYvI1vhg = Morton 2009 - just look at the scoreline for the coach killer if he missed :)

DeadlyAkkuret
5th November 2011, 03:23 PM
The thing is, he's a proven goal sneak already. The guy will be our new Nick Davis, though probably without the 4 goal final quater in a semi.

Full Forward
5th November 2011, 05:16 PM
The thing is, he's a proven goal sneak already. The guy will be our new Nick Davis, though probably without the 4 goal final quater in a semi.

I think I am like most in that we are hoping like mad that Mitch can get it all together.

However I must say that I am a little more than skeptical that he will be anything more than a depth player.

Hope I am wrong, but Richmond were happy to take pick 79 ( in a compromised draft) with talk they would delist him anyway. You usually don't get much for 79.

He will be doing very well to do half of what Nick Davis did for us, who we gave up pick 21 for.

Love his skills, but will wait to see with this guy, want to see consistent footy not a highlights reel.

Auntie.Gerald
5th November 2011, 09:13 PM
Im hoping Jed Lamb or Gary Rohan can do what Morton does especially his 2009 season - but after 2011 at the Swans ...... i aint fussy who kicks more goals :)

:clap:

sharp9
6th November 2011, 01:12 PM
Hope he can find some discipline...not just on the field...notice that he is not as cut as a youngster of his age should be, for example.

eggbeater
6th November 2011, 02:22 PM
It's a worry that these highlights are from a couple of seasons ago and aren't very recent

magic.merkin
6th November 2011, 05:20 PM
It's a worry that these highlights are from a couple of seasons ago and aren't very recent
He'd still be a tiger if he had a good year

Legs Akimbo
6th November 2011, 05:42 PM
As alluring as this project is, I can't see it having a positive outcome for all the reasons that Davis is no longer at our club. Morton is a totally offensive player. i.e. he plays off his man and does the 'selfish' thing. You can see it in one of the highlight videos - the ball is in dispute and he runs off his man. It's a 50% bet - the ball is won by Richmond, he is free, they kick it to him, he has a ping and scores. All looks good, but could have been really ugly on the turnover.

To be a success at the Swans, he'll need to become a much more defensive player. TDL seems to be in the same boat and then we have young lamb coming through...

Jewels
7th November 2011, 07:37 AM
I think I am like most in that we are hoping like mad that Mitch can get it all together.

However I must say that I am a little more than skeptical that he will be anything more than a depth player.

Hope I am wrong, but Richmond were happy to take pick 79 ( in a compromised draft) with talk they would delist him anyway. You usually don't get much for 79.

He will be doing very well to do half of what Nick Davis did for us, who we gave up pick 21 for.

Love his skills, but will wait to see with this guy, want to see consistent footy not a reel.

We've had such great success with problem children before that I'm really hoping our strike rate continues with Mitch. Shaw is the one that immediately springs to mind as really having re-created himself since becoming a Swan.
Mitch sounds like he is very keen to prove himself in Sydney and I've a feeling that he is going to repay the faith our recruiters have shown in him tenfold. Of course, me showing faith and having a good feeling about him automatically spells the death knell on his career!

Full Forward
7th November 2011, 08:30 AM
We've had such great success with problem children before that I'm really hoping our strike rate continues with Mitch. Shaw is the one that immediately springs to mind as really having re-created himself since becoming a Swan.
Mitch sounds like he is very keen to prove himself in Sydney and I've a feeling that he is going to repay the faith our recruiters have shown in him tenfold. Of course, me showing faith and having a good feeling about him automatically spells the death knell on his career!

Don't get me wrong. I will be cheering him on hoping it works out like everyone else. Just don't see how we fit him in.

Everyone seems to be naming him in a forward pocket in their teams. With all the talls that we tend to play down forward he will need to help out by going through the midfield at times.

My concern here is that he may end up taking the place of players like Parker or Lamb. Both teenagers with huge potential and seriously important players if we are to have a shot at the title in coming years.

I don't see that the possible up side for Morton (providing we can get all of the other stuff right with him) as being equal to the upside if we play Parker and lamb.

Dosser
7th November 2011, 08:30 AM
He's worth the gamble at pick 79, but I cant help but think that he is David Spriggs MkII

longmile
7th November 2011, 08:50 AM
David Spriggs... now thats a name I haven't heard in a while.
I hope you're wrong.

Damien
7th November 2011, 09:07 AM
He is coming to us as his last chance. His failure seems to be around just not working hard enough and I took enough out of his SEN interview that he knows his weaknesses and knows the only way to be a success is to work very very hard. His best season, 2 years ago was after a full pre season, so it's not as if he has just been a promising player without any success at all.

He was top 10 draft and does have a lot of talent, so we should be optimistic, but with a large question mark. It's an AFL cliche these days, but if any club can bring the best out of Mitch Morton, it's the Swans.

Dosser
7th November 2011, 09:16 AM
He is coming to us as his last chance. His failure seems to be around just not working hard enough and I took enough out of his SEN interview that he knows his weaknesses and knows the only way to be a success is to work very very hard. His best season, 2 years ago was after a full pre season, so it's not as if he has just been a promising player without any success at all.

He was top 10 draft and does have a lot of talent, so we should be optimistic, but with a large question mark. It's an AFL cliche these days, but if any club can bring the best out of Mitch Morton, it's the Swans.

Just like we have with Everitt :)

7th November 2011, 09:17 AM
You can't manufacture talent, you either have it or you don't and Morton has real talent.

His problem has been lack of maturity, off field problems and culture at the Weagles and Wretchmond. We are his last chance saloon and he recognises that and doesn't want to squander this lifeline.

He has great role models at the Swans, none more important I feel than Rhyce Shaw.

I have a sneaky suspicion we may have snared a very good player for basically free.

A lot of water to flow under the harbour bridge yet but already 2011 recruiting from a weak initial draft position looks promising with Mitchell, Walsh, Armstrong, Morton and pick 43 to come. Around that mark was where we got Goodesy and Micky O :-)

Chilcott
7th November 2011, 09:39 AM
He's worth the gamble at pick 79, but I cant help but think that he is David Spriggs MkII

Two completely different players. Spriggs was very fit, but had no skill. Morton is very skillful, but didn't seem to have the right attitude/fitness this season at the Tiges.

It's probably easier to fix an attitude/fitness issue over skills.

Hartijon
7th November 2011, 10:24 AM
Don't get me wrong. I will be cheering him on hoping it works out like everyone else. Just don't see how we fit him in.

Everyone seems to be naming him in a forward pocket in their teams. With all the talls that we tend to play down forward he will need to help out by going through the midfield at times.

My concern here is that he may end up taking the place of players like Parker or Lamb. Both teenagers with huge potential and seriously important players if we are to have a shot at the title in coming years.

I don't see that the possible up side for Morton (providing we can get all of the other stuff right with him) as being equal to the upside if we play Parker and lamb.

Don't worry. Someone wll get injured,they always do!

caj23
7th November 2011, 11:33 AM
In terms of natural talent I reckon he'd probably be top 5 on our list, it would be a super bonus for us if he can get his act together

Full Forward
7th November 2011, 01:07 PM

What draft pick you were taken at has no relevance once you have been in the system for a couple of years. All that matters then is what you have done with the ability you have.

This guy has done bugger all.

I hope we give the first chance to the kids.

I do agree that we tend to get the best out of players, but we have had a good few misses as well. Names such as Paul Chambers, Luke Brennan, Paul Spriggs, Brett Allison, Andrew Bomford all come to mind. And god knows I try and forget them.

Dosser
7th November 2011, 01:41 PM
What draft pick you were taken at has no relevance once you have been in the system for a couple of years. All that matters then is what you have done with the ability you have.

I do agree that we tend to get the best out of players, but we have had a good few misses as well. Names such as Paul Chambers, Luke Brennan, Paul Spriggs, Brett Allison, Andrew Bomford all come to mind. And god knows I try and forget them.

That's a bit harsh on Allison putting him with that list. At least he had a couple of good games for us.

Damien
7th November 2011, 02:06 PM

Yeah, but I doubt we gave up a draft pick (albeit very low pick) just to move him to Sydney as back up for kids only. They obviously feel he can add something to the best 22 if he gets himself up for it.

I doubt he is on a promise like say Mumford and Kennedy were on i.e "You are in our best 22, it's yours to lose" though.

DeadlyAkkuret
7th November 2011, 03:28 PM

You mean our record isn't 100%?

Full Forward
7th November 2011, 06:23 PM
That's a bit harsh on Allison putting him with that list. At least he had a couple of good games for us.

Fair enough.

How about instead we could replace him with Stephen Tingay, Nick Daffey or either of the Everitts?

Dosser
7th November 2011, 07:23 PM
Fair enough.

How about instead we could replace him with Stephen Tingay, Nick Daffey or either of the Everitts?

That's much better. :)

Full Forward
7th November 2011, 07:51 PM
That's much better. :)

We try to please

Ruck'n'Roll
11th November 2011, 09:19 AM
SO apart from a pretty big hole in his leg he's feeling really good????? (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-morton-misses-swans-hitout/story-e6frf9jf-1226191158116)

Full Forward
11th November 2011, 06:36 PM
SO apart from a pretty big hole in his leg he's feeling really good????? (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-morton-misses-swans-hitout/story-e6frf9jf-1226191158116)

Problems just seem to follow some players

giant
12th November 2011, 05:51 PM
As alluring as this project is, I can't see it having a positive outcome for all the reasons that Davis is no longer at our club. Morton is a totally offensive player. i.e. he plays off his man and does the 'selfish' thing. You can see it in one of the highlight videos - the ball is in dispute and he runs off his man. It's a 50% bet - the ball is won by Richmond, he is free, they kick it to him, he has a ping and scores. All looks good, but could have been really ugly on the turnover.

To be a success at the Swans, he'll need to become a much more defensive player. TDL seems to be in the same boat and then we have young lamb coming through...

A Tigers mate of mine claimed Morton played so wide he swore he saw him run past his house once! No doubting the boy's talent, and it's neat match with what we're missing, but can't think of another example of youngster all of a sudden come good after being moved on by two clubs. Happy to roll the dice but this seems like a real "hail Mary" pick from the Swans.

DLBIA14
12th November 2011, 06:08 PM
A Tigers mate of mine claimed Morton played so wide he swore he saw him run past his house once! No doubting the boy's talent, and it's neat match with what we're missing, but can't think of another example of youngster all of a sudden come good after being moved on by two clubs. Happy to roll the dice but this seems like a real "hail Mary" pick from the Swans.

As opposed to actually using pick 79 for a hail mary draft selection? At least with Morton you know that somewhere within him he is capable of some good football, 40 goal a season good football.

Full Forward
12th November 2011, 09:22 PM
As opposed to actually using pick 79 for a hail mary draft selection? At least with Morton you know that somewhere within him he is capable of some good football, 40 goal a season good football.

Don't mid using pick 79 on someone with this much potential, as long as we don't spend a year or two waiting for it to manifest itself only to have wasted those years. Years that we could have been putting game time into Parker, Lamb and Mitchell etc.

I am happy for him to get a go, but he must earn that spot.

DLBIA14
12th November 2011, 10:25 PM
Don't mid using pick 79 on someone with this much potential, as long as we don't spend a year or two waiting for it to manifest itself only to have wasted those years. Years that we could have been putting game time into Parker, Lamb and Mitchell etc.

I am happy for him to get a go, but he must earn that spot.

There is no way he is getting gifted a spot; considering he was on the precipice of being delisted... I'm very surprised you think the football department would ever contemplate holding back Parker, Lamb, Mitchell for MORTON! :confused: Ye of little faith...

Full Forward
12th November 2011, 10:47 PM
There is no way he is getting gifted a spot; considering he was on the precipice of being delisted... I'm very surprised you think the football department would ever contemplate holding back Parker, Lamb, Mitchell for MORTON! :confused: Ye of little faith...

I am just responding to the blogs. If you go and read some of the threads on our best 22, just about everyone names Morton in their team.

My comment is that on his current form he would not be in our best 25. Definately has the potential to be but needs to show that.

This has nothing to do with my thoughts on our football department or my faith in them.

DLBIA14
13th November 2011, 01:46 AM
I am just responding to the blogs. If you go and read some of the threads on our best 22, just about everyone names Morton in their team.

My comment is that on his current form he would not be in our best 25. Definately has the potential to be but needs to show that.

This has nothing to do with my thoughts on our football department or my faith in them.

I was just being facetious. Sorry. :)

Most people would hope Morton will find he feet. That is obviously tenuous at this stage, but he certainly can fill a role because we haven't exactly got many good half-forwards.

Anyway, its too early in the preseason to really get a gauge on anyone. Most of us have assumed Tommy Walsh will be starting full-forward, but I sure the coaches will be watching his performance this summer very closely. Fingers crossed everybody rips it up and there is lots of competition for spots.

Primmy
13th November 2011, 07:30 AM
I feel a need to protest here along with Dosser - yes he was past his use by date, but by the good loord, he was the best ressie nannie. In fact I think he invented the job.

I doubt it had occurred to the ptb to have an onfield nannie before he took on the job - which I suspect was a natural attribute. I watched him go up to players and show them what was what, he encouraged and approved, he directed traffic, he was brilliant. I actually wrote to Rocket and told him to keep him on the staff he was worth his weight in gold. Obviously I have a great say in the running of the Swans, but they did.

He ran for us, and we fell about laughing because even if he was delivering a spray he always looked like he was about to give them a hug. And so it has gone on to Assistant coaching. All in all I think we cannot put Fruity into this context - why? because I say so. He may not have been much of a recruit as a player but as a contributor to this club he was fantastic.