PDA

View Full Version : Goodesy says Swans can learn from league

Adelaide Swan
19th January 2012, 10:13 AM
Swans can learn from league: Goodes | AFL | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-swans-veteran-adam-goodes-says-afl-players-can-learn-from-rugby-league-tackling-technique/story-e6frf33l-1226247584465)

jono2707
19th January 2012, 01:57 PM
Some interesting comments there already - a few rightly point out that there has been plenty of cross-pollination between the codes for some time. NRL kicking improved significantly when AFL kicking techniques were introduced, as has tackling in the AFL as league and union tackling techniques have been copied. Interesting to see the comments there of those who follow both NRL and AFL - and I thought I was the only enlightened one who follows both codes......

Big Al
19th January 2012, 02:09 PM
There are lots of us Jono with some of us even club members in both codes. You'll find a lot of Swans supporters grew up on League so will tend to follow both codes.

AnnieH
19th January 2012, 02:25 PM
YAY!!! Finally.
Yes, it's that one extra step Goodesy that makes all the difference!

I hope that they took extra notes when going through "tackling" so there won't be so many missed this year.

Adelaide Swan
19th January 2012, 02:39 PM
Some interesting comments there already - a few rightly point out that there has been plenty of cross-pollination between the codes for some time. NRL kicking improved significantly when AFL kicking techniques were introduced, as has tackling in the AFL as league and union tackling techniques have been copied. Interesting to see the comments there of those who follow both NRL and AFL - and I thought I was the only enlightened one who follows both codes......

I have been a fan of both codes for years, mate.

Was a league fan first then started following football a few years later.

jono2707
19th January 2012, 04:32 PM
Its refreshing to be around people who follow both codes - I am over the who "our game is better than yours" mentality....

Wardy
19th January 2012, 07:14 PM
that why I'm so happy that the lovely Nick Davis is helping out my trophyless Sharkies!

wolftone57
20th January 2012, 02:16 PM
I was brought up on AFL in Broken Hill. I have always believed there is room for all codes in Australia as we are a sporting nation. There is also room for Hockey, Netball, Swimming, Surfing and about 30 other sports

msb
20th January 2012, 03:10 PM
Im not starting a 'our game is better argument' and im not against the code, but I just cannot see the attraction with rugby league. Ive been to a couple of melbourne storm games a few years back and it was just soo boring, the whole idea of having to throw a ball (and they call it football aswell??) backwards to go forwards just doesnt make sense....in saying that im sure we can benefit from training with these guys and vice versa and there is room for all codes in australia.

CJK
20th January 2012, 04:45 PM
Wish I was narrow minded enough to only follow one sport. Would save me a lot of time and emotional investment.

wolftone57
22nd January 2012, 11:01 AM
I think our blokes can learn from a range of different sports and our coaches have done so over the years. For instance the vertical leap of the basketballers was admired by our coaches and what do you know next thing we had the likes of Brogan playing AFL. The coaches also got Basketball Centres in to teach the technique to other players. We have learned tackling from Union & League clubs and coaches. The Soccer skills of the likes of Stevie J & Cyril Rioli have been the product of cross code coaching and sometimes cross code playing in junior years. So we can learn from many different sources

Adelaide Swan
23rd January 2012, 08:11 AM
Im not starting a 'our game is better argument' and im not against the code, but I just cannot see the attraction with rugby league. Ive been to a couple of melbourne storm games a few years back and it was just soo boring, the whole idea of having to throw a ball (and they call it football aswell??) backwards to go forwards just doesnt make sense....in saying that im sure we can benefit from training with these guys and vice versa and there is room for all codes in australia.

There's your problem then.

No offence to any Storm fans among us and while they are a good team, they are a very boring team to watch.

Watching the Storm is like watching a form of WWE.

League is a great game but you have to figure out which are the better teams to watch.

Adelaide Swan
23rd January 2012, 08:12 AM
Its refreshing to be around people who follow both codes - I am over the who "our game is better than yours" mentality....

I always hated that mentality and still do.

Primmy
23rd January 2012, 09:11 AM
I have always broken down sport into "can I do the ironing and watch a game at the same time". League, Union, Soccer, yes. AFL, mostly no.
Tennis no. Cricket yes for tests, mostly no for T/20.

Its not scientific, but it is an accurate gauge. Therefore, as I hate ironing, I love AFL most of all. Simple really.

msb
24th January 2012, 05:59 PM
There's your problem then.

No offence to any Storm fans among us and while they are a good team, they are a very boring team to watch.

Watching the Storm is like watching a form of WWE.

League is a great game but you have to figure out which are the better teams to watch.

Really? Wouldnt of noticed that the storm were the only boring team to watch in rugby league and there seems to be this genuine hatred for them up there in sin city, why is this the case I wonder??? Is it because they are just too good??

goswannie14
24th January 2012, 07:24 PM
Some interesting comments there already - a few rightly point out that there has been plenty of cross-pollination between the codes for some time. NRL kicking improved significantly when AFL kicking techniques were introduced, as has tackling in the AFL as league and union tackling techniques have been copied. Interesting to see the comments there of those who follow both NRL and AFL - and I thought I was the only enlightened one who follows both codes......I have followed both since the days that the old NSWRFL was telecast on the ABC in Melbourne on Saturday afternoons.

goswannie14
24th January 2012, 07:26 PM
Really? Wouldnt of noticed that the storm were the only boring team to watch in rugby league and there seems to be this genuine hatred for them up there in sin city, why is this the case I wonder??? Is it because they are just too good??That's the only reason, so when they did what other clubs have done they were doubly punished. The NSWRFL (pretending to be the NRL) are paranoid, just as some here say that the AFL are paranoid about interstate teams.

wolftone57
26th January 2012, 08:44 PM
Really? Wouldnt of noticed that the storm were the only boring team to watch in rugby league and there seems to be this genuine hatred for them up there in sin city, why is this the case I wonder??? Is it because they are just too good??

yes you are right any club that Wayne Bennett coaches is sure as hell going to be more boring than the Storm. Penrith are dead boring but they are just dead I suppose. Brisvegas are not living up to the name very boring. Bullies are just hopeless but still boring. Who isn't? Wellll! The Tigers are never boring, Rabbits while never going to win the Premiership are never boring, the Rooters are pretty good to watch if they ever get going otherwise they get flogged but never boring. Gold Coast ain't boring, I think the Cowboys can go both ways. Para are dead boring!!! Cronulla are just dead but never boring as they mostly get flogged

wolftone57
26th January 2012, 08:48 PM
But I did think this was about learning from them. YES WE CAN! Tacklberry! Soccer kicks from the World Gum! Kicks to touch from Union. Pinpointing a teammate from Gridiron. TACKLE TACKLE TACKLE From League (Tackleberry)

Adelaide Swan
27th January 2012, 08:34 AM
yes you are right any club that Wayne Bennett coaches is sure as hell going to be more boring than the Storm. Penrith are dead boring but they are just dead I suppose. Brisvegas are not living up to the name very boring. Bullies are just hopeless but still boring. Who isn't? Wellll! The Tigers are never boring, Rabbits while never going to win the Premiership are never boring, the Rooters are pretty good to watch if they ever get going otherwise they get flogged but never boring. Gold Coast ain't boring, I think the Cowboys can go both ways. Para are dead boring!!! Cronulla are just dead but never boring as they mostly get flogged I'd normally take offence to that being a Cronulla fan.

Adelaide Swan
27th January 2012, 08:37 AM

I don't agree with that. North Queensland are a good team to watch and I don't know many that hate them in Sydney.

I don't think anyone hated the Storm until they cheated the game in a very big way.

It's one of many reasons Canterbury were hated for years after they did the same thing.

Dosser
27th January 2012, 09:25 AM
I don't agree with that. North Queensland are a good team to watch and I don't know many that hate them in Sydney.

I don't think anyone hated the Storm until they cheated the game in a very big way.

It's one of many reasons Canterbury were hated for years after they did the same thing.

Oh, come on - as an old Parra boy, Canterbury have always been hated!

R-1
27th January 2012, 09:45 AM
It could be worse, y'all could have the misfortune of being a Raiders fan.

I miss our glory days.

Big Al
27th January 2012, 09:46 AM
I'd normally take offence to that being a Cronulla fan.

I have a soft spot for the Sharks and I do feel for their fans because Wolftone isn't entirely wrong. Their finances are in a parlous state and they have an ingrained culture of losing.

I hope they can one day reward their fans with a premiership. Prior to 2005 my club had a similar cultural problem but Tim Sheens turned the club around and I think the Sharks need a similar tough personality like Sheens to turn the club around.

Having said all that I hope the turn around in the Sharks fortunes starts Rd 2. :)

Big Al
27th January 2012, 09:48 AM
Oh, come on - as an old Parra boy, Canterbury have always been hated!

Hated by anyone with a pulse I would have thought.

goswannie14
27th January 2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think anyone hated the Storm until they cheated the game in a very big way.You're in denial. Given that in the last 10 years there have been 60 salary cap breaches across the NRL, the Storm weren't the only ones doing the wrong thing. As I said before the bizzarre thing is that the team was punished twice for the one offence. Punishing them in the past and into the future was unbelievable. Even the Bulldogs with their rort only got punished once.

It all begs the question....why is Gallup still running the NRL when most of the problems have happened on his watch?

Cheer Squad
27th January 2012, 11:37 AM
Swans can learn from league: Goodes | AFL | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-swans-veteran-adam-goodes-says-afl-players-can-learn-from-rugby-league-tackling-technique/story-e6frf33l-1226247584465)

There's not really that much to this story. We've got a reputation as a strong tackling team already, because we're from NRL territory.

We'd be better off learning what's made recent top 4 AFL teams successful. At the top of that list would be kicking accuracy.

How about a training session with Geelong?

Adelaide Swan
27th January 2012, 01:39 PM
You're in denial. Given that in the last 10 years there have been 60 salary cap breaches across the NRL, the Storm weren't the only ones doing the wrong thing. As I said before the bizzarre thing is that the team was punished twice for the one offence. Punishing them in the past and into the future was unbelievable. Even the Bulldogs with their rort only got punished once.

It all begs the question....why is Gallup still running the NRL when most of the problems have happened on his watch?

I am not here to argue with you GS14.

I am here because I am a Swans fan like everyone else.

I wouldn't have a clue what

wolftone57
29th January 2012, 08:04 AM
There's not really that much to this story. We've got a reputation as a strong tackling team already, because we're from NRL territory.

We'd be better off learning what's made recent top 4 AFL teams successful. At the top of that list would be kicking accuracy.

How about a training session with Geelong?

As much as I agree with you I still think there are aspects of other games we can learn and incorporate in our game for the better.