PDA

View Full Version : Swans Intra-Club Game - Friday 17th February 2012

Bas
11th February 2012, 05:15 PM
I saw the paper this morning and thought I had missed the game but did some more searching after Primmy mentioned it was on next week.

Yesterday was a 40 minute training session but the proper one is next Friday.

Who is going? Probably be a 9am start I imagine as it started about that time last year.

GWS held their intra-club match at Lakeside yesterday and that started at 6:30 pm.

I should be able to get there and take some piccies. Mainly of the disguises of other RWO people who are taking the day off work.

Perhaps a competition and prize for most creative.

royboy42
11th February 2012, 05:20 PM
I saw the paper this morning and thought I had missed the game but did some more searching after Primmy mentioned it was on next week.

Yesterday was a 40 minute training session but the proper one is next Friday.

Who is going? Probably be a 9am start I imagine as it started about that time last year.

GWS held their intra-club match at Lakeside yesterday and that started at 6:30 pm.

I should be able to get there and take some piccies. Mainly of the disguises of other RWO people who are taking the day off work.

Perhaps a competition and prize for most creative.

I'll be the one in the Swans cap!

Wazza
11th February 2012, 05:45 PM
I'll be the one in the Swans cap!
I'll be in the other swans cap... the one with red and....white:hmmm

Cheers

waz

ugg
11th February 2012, 06:21 PM
Since I'll be in disguise, I'll have my GWS cap on.

I think the players come out and do some laps and/or training drills at 9ish but the match tends to start later.

Big Al
11th February 2012, 06:43 PM
I need suggestions of some creative excuses to give my boss for Friday's game. If I tell him I want time off to watch the Swans play themselves his eyes will glaze over and he'll just say "see you in the office at 9am"

liz
11th February 2012, 07:45 PM
I need suggestions of some creative excuses to give my boss for Friday's game. If I tell him I want time off to watch the Swans play themselves his eyes will glaze over and he'll just say "see you in the office at 9am"

Time to get yourself a new boss!! I have mine fully trained to know that if she wants to get the best out of me, she needs to work around my Swans obsession.

satchmopugdog
11th February 2012, 08:12 PM
Time to get yourself a new boss!! I have mine fully trained to know that if she wants to get the best out of me, she needs to work around my Swans obsession.

Have always loved your work Liz!!!!!!!!!!!! This is priceless

Primmy
11th February 2012, 09:20 PM
I'll be in disguise. I'll be in a WHITE and red cap.

wolftone57
12th February 2012, 10:21 AM
Where is the notice for the Intra-Club match? I have looked all over the Swans site and can't find it anywhere. I would love to go as I have nothing to do that day.

Wardy
12th February 2012, 11:44 AM

A good dose of "food poisoning" might do the trick (so get something exotic for lunch on thursday make sure the boss see's it and then he will know that its legit - just dont mention footy in way shape or form!)

royboy42
12th February 2012, 12:54 PM

Tell him the Swans want to make a presentation to you for your continuing loyalty. And this is the best time for them (Friday).
We'll find someone in the RWOers present to give you a used cap or something (not a 2005 one tho), and someone will vid it on their phone for you!

Primmy
12th February 2012, 02:47 PM
Wear long pants, no one will recognise you then!

aardvark
12th February 2012, 02:56 PM

Hmmm Powerade overdose maybe ???

giant
14th February 2012, 08:33 AM
Ah, I wondered if this had happened yet - always a great morning.

And a nice time to be a contractor...as long as I don't think about the daily rate I'm giving up that equates to several times my season membership fees.

Primmy
14th February 2012, 09:02 AM
Ha giant! I have seen you at training before! Taking time off.....daily rate......you do it all the time......what a crock! See you Friday, if it is not raining in the cats and dogs region.

wolftone57
14th February 2012, 09:40 AM
What time on Friday does it start?

Bas
15th February 2012, 12:38 AM
What time on Friday does it start?

Be there at 9am

Primmy
15th February 2012, 08:52 AM
A bit of further info. SCG has a cricket match that evening, so Driver ave will be closed to parking. Best option is either Centennial Park or payfor at Fox, first 2 hours free.

Yuri H
15th February 2012, 10:08 AM
Cool - I'm working only a few days a week (not Fridays!) as I transition from the work force into being a full-time uni student again (yes, at my advanced age), so nothing can keep me from getting there!

... well, except torrential rains.
... or, stupid decision-making meetings for the huuuuge home-reno project we're doing at my house ...

Bas
15th February 2012, 11:31 AM
Best option is either Centennial Park or payfor at Fox, first 2 hours free.

Thanks for that Primmy. Parking in Fox saves a possible longer walk in the rain.

royboy42
15th February 2012, 01:39 PM
Is entry into fox car park from driver av or lyons road?

liz
15th February 2012, 01:59 PM
Is entry into fox car park from driver av or lyons road?

It is from Lang Road, which runs off Anzac Parade just south of the SCG, or you can access from Moore Park Road just past the Centenniel Park Gates on the corner where Oxford Street branches into Moore Park Road and Oxford Street. If you're driving from Bondi towards Paddo (or the City / SCG) it is the turning on your left.

royboy42
15th February 2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks Liz

ugg
15th February 2012, 02:33 PM
For those parking at Entertainment Quarter, be aware that because that the cricket match is on you'll have to spend at least $10 and have your ticket validated for the 2 hours free to apply. Otherwise it'll cost you $25. See link for more details:

http://www.eqmoorepark.com.au/getting-there/

As for the weather, looks like the rain is forecasted to come in the afternoon and chiefly in the west. Fingers crossed

Sydney area

Mostly sunny morning. Isolated showers from midday, more frequent in the outer west. The chance of afternoon thunderstorms in the outer west. Winds north to northeasterly averaging up to 20 km/h tending east to northeasterly during the afternoon.

liz
15th February 2012, 02:52 PM
For those parking at Entertainment Quarter, be aware that because that the cricket match is on you'll have to spend at least $10 and have your ticket validated for the 2 hours free to apply. Otherwise it'll cost you $25. See link for more details:

http://www.eqmoorepark.com.au/getting-there/

As for the weather, looks like the rain is forecasted to come in the afternoon and chiefly in the west. Fingers crossed

Special parking rates don't normally kick in until 1pm for late afternoon / evening events in the precinct - ie so long as you're in the carpark before 1pm you just pay standard rates, regardless of when you exit. So people may still be OK to park for two hours free without spending $10 in the precinct.

ugg
15th February 2012, 03:23 PM
That is usually true but if you look at the link it says 7am for Friday and a mixture of 7am/1pm for the other days. I'm assuming this is when the special rate kicks in.

Bas
15th February 2012, 09:09 PM
I was wondering about the parking as well. Oh well, its a nice walk through Centennial Park and I love the smell of horse poo in the morning !

I do, I'm not kidding.! I'm a horsey person.

Yuri H
17th February 2012, 06:32 AM
Oh well, its a nice walk through Centennial Park and I love the smell of horse poo in the morning !

You'd think our coach would have more manners and not just ...

[re-reading] ... oh.

ugg
17th February 2012, 07:45 AM
Well the team sometimes give him the...

...sheesh I can't believe it's not raining this morning

nomae
17th February 2012, 10:50 AM
Keiran Jack is back. So is Mal, I think.

giant
17th February 2012, 11:01 AM

Kizza looked great.

ScottH
17th February 2012, 11:05 AM

Kizza looked great.

Great to hear!!
I hope he has those ankles taped firmly.
Look out Judd/Swan etc!!

nomae
17th February 2012, 11:08 AM
Kizza looked great.

Morton did some nice things.

So annoyed that Tommy Walsh didn't play!! What was up with that?

Was Tommy Mitchell 28 for Red? I was trying to find him but I get confused with all these new boys...

ShockOfHair
17th February 2012, 11:12 AM
Walsh was running laps but will be playing next week, according to the Swans Twitter feed.

nomae
17th February 2012, 11:24 AM
Walsh was running laps but will be playing next week, according to the Swans Twitter feed.

Righto.

Good captaincy from Macca too, yelling encouragement for Tommy even though he was just running laps.

Cant turn right
17th February 2012, 11:40 AM
I managed to take an hour off this morning.

Agree on Kieren Jack, he won a heap of ball.

Great smother by Teddy on him though on this occasion:

http://www.mbphotography.com.au/cgi/personal.php?setImage=477&start=0

Dosser
17th February 2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks to those who are our 'eyes and ears' today. Can anybody provide a bit of a rundown on who did what today, please?

17th February 2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the teasers from this morning's intra. Great to hear KJ shone, hoping for a repeat or even improvement on 2010 from him and that would be a bonus.

I trust some of the hardened watchers will provide a full unbiased report on proceedings. I'll go and mow the lawns whilst you pen your reports!

ugg
17th February 2012, 11:54 AM
Quick thoughts

Firstly I hate watching from this ground as there is no elevation and it's hard to make out play far away. It didn't help that there multiple 19 and 22 jumpers in the yellow team
McGlynn was very good running through the midfield
Goodes is looking supremely fit, started forward but rotated on ball as well
Reid has added bulk and took some nice grabs although Teddy played well on him too

The forward line for the yellows looked to be Goodes, Reid, Rohan and Morton and one suspects this will be the setup. How Walsh fits into this I'm not sure
Mummy rucked for the whole of the first half against Pyke and seaby. Seaby swapped teams in the second half to Ruck against pyke
Aj holding down a key position and did some nice stuff under pressure
Jesse has a new leg tatt I've been told its of a skull and flowers ?!
Lockyer was on a wing against everitt. They see him as a running player
Mal did some nice things but also some poor things
McNeil played a heap onball even opposed goodes on some occasions

nomae
17th February 2012, 12:06 PM
McGlynn was very good running through the midfield
Goodes is looking supremely fit, started forward but rotated on ball as well

McGlynn + Goodesy both looked superb.

Wouldn't be surprised if AJ is in the leadership group in a year or so, was barking out instructions pretty confidently today.

Cant turn right
17th February 2012, 12:06 PM
And 37 more photos here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76798707@N02/

aardvark
17th February 2012, 12:23 PM
And 37 more photos here

Great pics thx CTR.

aardvark
17th February 2012, 12:27 PM
Anyone notice Cunningham at all ?

liz
17th February 2012, 12:28 PM
Fair number of players were "missing" - some not completely missing as they were seen running laps at various degrees of intensity. Those not taking part included
ROK
Spangher
TDL
LRT
Hanners
Lynch
Walsh
Armstrong
Mitchell
Brown
Kruger

The standouts for me were McVeigh and McGlynn. Bird started very well but was less involved as the game went on. Jack started quietly but really came into it during the second and third "thirds". Malceski was also very busy (and I didn't see too much of the "bad" stuff that Ugg referred to). And Moore got very involved too, around the half-forward line, with his excellent footy brain on show. Reid's marking was as graceful as last year but his goal conversion was, unfortunately, also similar to what we have come to expect.

ShockOfHair
17th February 2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reports and pix. I was hoping we'd get a glimpse of Armstrong.

Any sign of Lamb?

Liz I saw TDL in a couple of photos. So he was out there but no-one seems to noticed.

Cant turn right
17th February 2012, 01:35 PM
Armstrong was running laps. TDL came on in the 2nd half and didn't do anything flashy. He did lay a few tackles though and so here's hoping that's a good sign for him for this year.

Primmy
17th February 2012, 01:50 PM
That was fun. The air was full of the noises of crickets - nahh, it was lens shutters - and faintly blue language, especially from the coaching staff.

A flock of R&Wers gathered to the fray. Observations -

. Who Was That Guy honours taken by Jordan Lockyer.
. Sam Reid no longer looks like a choir boy and can still take one of "those" marks.
. Kizza has a take no prisoners approach even amongst his fellow teammates
. Tommy Walsh didn't play but he ran laps with Jackson Potter. It was poetry in motion. I have never seen such beautiful builds. Both of them. I had Bas shutterbugging like mad, so there should be some evidence posted. Who cares if they can't play. (nice to know I am not dead yet).
. the Strut and LRT "ran" the water.
. I think McLean was the ump
. Nipper is making big strides.
. Ted has taken charge of the backline and worked like it mattered.
. Doggy is a little general. Royboy and I agree he will be coaching one day. He is a natural organiser. He has also shaved some cm's off his width.
. Mummy is Mummy.
. Rather taken with Everitt, he appears to have starved himself and is showing some hunger.
. Mal is spoiling as well as marking (like Ted can).
. Before the game a black spot was set up between the posts and a series of hands up black markers (man height) set into the ground. Obviously kicking practice utensils.
. Liked the look of Mitch Morton.
. Macca is Back.
. Adam is as elegent and "no fixed address" as ever.
. Fascinating to watch Joey in action. He is rather tall and still able to grab and kick within a pack very effectively.
. No worries about Jude. He is still Jude.
. Peb wasn't on deck.
. I once said that Hanners could run and talk at the same time. It is obviously a skill he has honed to a fine art. He is all sinue and muscle, kindly running without a shirt, but he was still talking ten to the dozen.
. Shaw has a bulldog voice that reminded me of Hall, you can hear it for long distances.
. Jetts has not put on any weight. He is so narrow!
. Marty is a very very good player.

Observation. If the boys now tried to get into the short shorts of yesteryear they would fail. I note that the general arse width nowadays is much more of the Plugger mould, which means great core strength and probably great running strength.
If I think of anyone else, I'll let you know.

Primmy
17th February 2012, 01:58 PM
And 37 more photos here

Cracking lot of shots there.

swansrob
17th February 2012, 02:26 PM
Who won the ruck battle between Pyke and Seaby?

Cant turn right
17th February 2012, 03:03 PM
Who won the ruck battle between Pyke and Seaby?

I thought Seaby but Pyke had more influence at ground level

wolftone57
17th February 2012, 03:18 PM
Fair number of players were "missing" - some not completely missing as they were seen running laps at various degrees of intensity. Those not taking part included
ROK
Spangher
TDL
LRT
Hanners
Lynch
Walsh
Armstrong
Mitchell
Brown
Kruger

The standouts for me were McVeigh and McGlynn. Bird started very well but was less involved as the game went on. Jack started quietly but really came into it during the second and third "thirds". Malceski was also very busy (and I didn't see too much of the "bad" stuff that Ugg referred to). And Moore got very involved too, around the half-forward line, with his excellent footy brain on show. Reid's marking was as graceful as last year but his goal conversion was, unfortunately, also similar to what we have come to expect.

Sorry but TDL playeed Liz he kicked a goal after changing from Red to Yellow. I thought Shane Biggs was pretty good, got to posie well and knows how to get it. He needs some work on his disposal and second guessing though. The Doggie was really good. Another little bloke, number 26 in the Red don't know who but he wasn't bad. Kennedy was also good. Goodsie supreme except for his goal kicking a bit amiss. Sammy missed his first two but the next was good. He stabs at the ball and doesn't follow through as though he is not confident of the kick. Parker got very involved in the second half but was not prevalent in the first. I thought all the ruckmen were good, Seebs kicked a good goal after leading up.

Jesse doesn't seem to get it. He can do a really good thing one minute, take a good mark etc then? Out on the wing he brought the ball to ground and the little bloke who got it was going to run into trouble and Jesse just stood there and at the last minute assisted but too late. Frustrating! The second kick into the forward line is still a problem at times, the first is point perfect but the second....... Shaw was prominent but gave one up kicking out of defense hit TDL 9opposition) on the chest, goal! Must be cleaner than that i saw a bit of that sort of thing but less than this time last year. Nipper was good too! I liked the way he went about it.

dimelb
17th February 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the pics CTR - well done.
And thank you all for your comments.

ugg
17th February 2012, 03:24 PM
By bad things I meant Mal struggled with some of his defensive work. I think offensively he was pretty good

In general it felt like the Swans were keen to play on after a mark, especially in the forward half. A few times a leading forward would take a mark up the ground and there would be a midfielder running up beside him ready for the handpass. Agree with the praise that Reid received on the website but Ted didn't do much wrong either. It's just that when Reid gets the space to get a clean run and jump at it I don't think there is a defender with a long enough reach to spoil him

For the person asking about Cunningham he was playing off halfback no doubt to utilize his runnin power. However he's not just an athlete as he had a neat kicking action. He played on TDL when Trent came on late in the match

wolftone57
17th February 2012, 03:24 PM
Armstrong was running laps. TDL came on in the 2nd half and didn't do anything flashy. He did lay a few tackles though and so here's hoping that's a good sign for him for this year.

He did kick a goal from a Shawie gift but I thought Jetstar was pretty good especially in the first half.

wolftone57
17th February 2012, 03:26 PM
I reckon Doggie will get a run in the NAB Cup, Nipper, Lockyer, Biggs and Cunningham. Some that didn't play will probably get a run there too and a few of the experienced players will probably have a rest till week two.

ugg
17th February 2012, 03:28 PM
On Jetta I think he's going to continue to frustrate coaches on fans alike based on today's performance. He is too fumbly under pressure and isn't keen to take on players. There was one passage of play where McVeigh set him up with a nice handball but jets gave it straight back to a stationary McVeigh who was subsequently tackled and turned it over

17th February 2012, 03:34 PM
I reckon Doggie will get a run in the NAB Cup, Nipper, Lockyer, Biggs and Cunningham. Some that didn't play will probably get a run there too and a few of the experienced players will probably have a rest till week two.

Looking at the teams for this weeks round of matches, it seems most are going with 12-14 first choice players and a lot of fringe players and kids. Expect we may do similar next week against Geelong and St.Kilda but us the following two games to try a more senior and more likely R1 line up.

S120
17th February 2012, 03:46 PM
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/swans%20tv/tabid/8664/default.aspx#playvideo

Dunno who he journo is on Horse's right but she was asking some good questions. Not just the typical crap and got Horse to expand a little bit. Hope to hear/read more of her.

Horse said he thought Jetta was very good on the wing which goes against what ugg said. Also mentioned Lockyer, Everitt, Reid, McGlynn as good contributors today.

wolftone57
17th February 2012, 03:46 PM
Looking at the teams for this weeks round of matches, it seems most are going with 12-14 first choice players and a lot of fringe players and kids. Expect we may do similar next week against Geelong and St.Kilda but us the following two games to try a more senior and more likely R1 line up.

I agree I think the first NAB cup game is always a try the young blokes game. For us anyway as we don't have to win it like, Carlton, Bullies, Richmond or North due to being almost broke. There is a lot to be happy about. The young blokes looked pretty good. I am impressed with both Cunningham and Biggs who both played on the HB line. Biggs has to be more decisive and cleaner in his kicks but other than that he is a good kid. A bloke I was talking to said Lambchop is a nice young bloke, a real country kid, pity he is injured. All the injured players can't be too far away other than Spang by the looks of the running they were doing.

MattW
17th February 2012, 03:52 PM
McGlynn + Goodesy both looked superb.

Wouldn't be surprised if AJ is in the leadership group in a year or so, was barking out instructions pretty confidently today.

Good to hear re AJ. I had the same thought after the Hawks final.

wolftone57
17th February 2012, 04:00 PM
Good to hear re AJ. I had the same thought after the Hawks final.

Yep AJ is really good shouting encouragement and geeing up teammates. A real boon this young bloke

swansrob
17th February 2012, 04:10 PM
AJ was captain at Oakleigh Chargers before being drafted, so it makes sense.

royboy42
17th February 2012, 04:12 PM

Dunno who he journo is on Horse's right but she was asking some good questions. Not just the typical crap and got Horse to expand a little bit. Hope to hear/read more of her.

Horse said he thought Jetta was very good on the wing which goes against what ugg said. Also mentioned Lockyer, Everitt, Reid, McGlynn as good contributors today.

I hung around for the presser. The lass you're referring to was from Foxsports., and you're right. She was the one who wasn't asking the bland ,predictable questions that make most coaches and supporters weep.

I'm with ugg..Jetta did one nice thing early but didn't contribute much thru my eyes.

Benny McGlynn,Kieran J, Jarrad McVeigh,Goodesy all had a day out.

Josh Kennedy distributed the ball with his customary style..from impossible traffic straight to a man.

Teddy and Sam Reid tussled for half the game, and I thought honours werwe about even,I don't see any 2nd season nerves from Reidy and Ted just picked up where he left off.

Rohan was pretty fumbly early then disconsolately returned to the rooms about half way through the exercise..wheter injured or disillusioned I don't know.

Play was pretty tight for the first half, and opened up later.

Mummy rucked well, and tussled with both his supporters..he took the honours but we shouldn't feel too bad if he needs to be replaced for any reaeason this season by Pyke or Seabs.

royboy42
17th February 2012, 04:13 PM
Oh and lots of talk around the place on Jordan Lockyer, including from the coach. He mentioned his name two or three times in post match

Primmy
17th February 2012, 04:15 PM

Jenny McAsey was on deck, so that may have been her. She was our media leader for a while, and a Swans member anyway. May have gone back to mainstream, but I heard (yet another one of those someone told me who someone told) that she was going back to being more of a family girl, so it may have been another tragic.

royboy42
17th February 2012, 04:19 PM
Jenny McAsey was on deck, so that may have been her. She was our media leader for a while, and a Swans member anyway. May have gone back to mainstream, but I heard (yet another one of those someone told me who someone told) that she was going back to being more of a family girl, so it may have been another tragic.

Yeah Prim, Jenny was there, but stayed in background at presser. It was the good sort from Foxsports asked the good q's .

aardvark
17th February 2012, 05:12 PM
For the person asking about Cunningham he was playing off halfback no doubt to utilize his runnin power. However he's not just an athlete as he had a neat kicking action. He played on TDL when Trent came on late in the match

Thx Ugg. What's the chances of him getting a game this year ? He's a rookie isn't he ?

17th February 2012, 05:29 PM
Can lightning strike twice?

A. Goodes ND Pick 43

J. Lockyer ND Pick 43

I notice Lockyer is getting lots of mentions from the coaching panel, could he be the bolter for 2012 and yet another late draft pick winner?

He comes with good pedigree and background, must have been disappointed WCE didn't Father-Son him, he was still touted to go late first round in the ND and we couldn't wait to call out his name when pick 43 came around late in the secound round.

Fingers crossed for him and us.

Aaron
17th February 2012, 06:01 PM
An enjoyable morning
Goodes, Benny, Reid are very good
Like Bird
Seaby still ahead of Pyke
Don't think Jetta will be a winner
Moore should have a second chance
Lockyer has the potential

Primmy
17th February 2012, 06:21 PM
As I said way back Who Was That Guy honours taken by Jordan Lockyer.

Looks like we are all on the money here. Reminds me of that game against Collingwood when we were all wondering who 32 was. Kept the number. Not saying he is that good, its just that we noticed him for all the right reasons.

wolftone57
17th February 2012, 06:52 PM
I didn't think Jetts was terrible today, he got plenty of it but it is his decision making that worries me. He has all that pace and doesn't take them on. He did once today burnt off three but delivered badly because he second guessed again. He always gets himself or a teammate in trouble doing that. The first option is normally the best and if it isn't make it better.

Auntie.Gerald
17th February 2012, 08:04 PM
what about Birdy ??

Lucky Knickers
17th February 2012, 08:18 PM
Parker?

Primmy
17th February 2012, 08:53 PM
Birdy was very satisfying to watch. Growing up and into a very good player.

Parks looked just fine. Hard worker, talented, imho, no worries.

Cant turn right
17th February 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone, glad you liked the pics from today. It's a pleasure to upload them and have them seen.

Bas
17th February 2012, 10:36 PM
Yeah Prim, Jenny was there, but stayed in background at presser. It was the good sort from Foxsports asked the good q's .

I walked behind her to the ground from Fox Studio's and I must admit she was wearing very nicely tailored and fitting slacks with jacket.

Under Primmy's instructions I took loads of photo's of semi naked Swans. Primmy thought that the other Ladies on RWO would appreciate them. I also managed to take some photo's of the action. There should be a picture of Richard Colless there who I know everyone will want to upload. The Powerade girl got a few photo's as well. I was just checking the focus of my camera when I was taking pictures of her so I don't want anyone to read anything else into that.

Got some good close up photo's of quite a few of the guys doing their skills session after the game.

There was a cool breeze blowing so it made the conditions bearable to a point.

Hard to see the standouts for me at ground level. Kizza took a big knock right in front of us so they were pretty serious out there.

I don't know what the strategy was to have 7 jumpers with the same number of the back. So made it impossible to recognise the newbies.

Tommy Walsh is very broad across the shoulders and solid looking.

Hanners was wearing a pink tank top which was interesting as you'll see from the photo's.

Fortunately no injuries of any significance that I could tell.

Goodesy stood out well above everyone else and it was great to see our 3 talls all playing.

Benny was OK and active and Jude had quite a hard workout.

So I will load them up on my silly Flickr thingy tomorrow.

TheAgent
18th February 2012, 09:29 AM
Some photos for those interested www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150685962620039.451521.679670038&type=1

wolftone57
18th February 2012, 12:09 PM
All in all a good hit out but it is early days and it is always scrappier at this end of the season. If you watch the NAB Cup you will see that most sides are a little rusty. It takes until about mid season to get into full stride. The early games will be won on talent and teamwork as most sides are not at their top form then. Alan Jeans used to say "Mosey in March and Steamroll in September". I think we have a few guys that are going to be pushing for a berth in the side to play GWS. Lockyer and Morton for a start. I know they are looking to get Tony Armstrong fit and ready for round one as he has already been talked up. So it will be interesting who plays the first round.

giant
18th February 2012, 03:13 PM
On Jetta I think he's going to continue to frustrate coaches on fans alike based on today's performance. He is too fumbly under pressure and isn't keen to take on players. There was one passage of play where McVeigh set him up with a nice handball but jets gave it straight back to a stationary McVeigh who was subsequently tackled and turned it over

And yet when I first got to the ground Ugg I saw a fella blaze into the forward, demand the ball from the forward, take a strong contested mark, then calmly walk back and slot the goal from 40m - and was thoroughly delighted to see it was Jetta. I think it's important for this young fella that the caoching staff emphasise the good behaviour (while not letting him completely off the hook for the bad).

giant
18th February 2012, 03:21 PM
My thoughts: game style certainly looked different, but hard to tell why. When play was stopped, it seemed to be an effort to structure to play/beat the press, so I guess unsurprisingly more emphasis on that.

Thought the Reid/Richards duel was a ripper, honours to Teddy.
Pleasing signs from McGlynn, Bird, Everett, Jesse (who thought was crashing packs exactly the way we want). Barely a contested mark taken but that's pre-season footy for you I guess. Foot skills still way down, but at least shooting at goals seemed a tad better.

For me less stand-outs from the young 'uns compared to past years, but maybe coz I didn't recognise many. That said, you definitely get the sense there is more depth in this squad than we have in recent years. Guess time will tell!

nomae
18th February 2012, 03:36 PM

Neroli Meadows I believe. And yes, she is a good sort.

ScottH
18th February 2012, 04:06 PM
And 37 more photos here

Nice work with the camera there!!

The biggest change I noticed in this set was the size of Meredith.
Looks like he's lost his skinny boy image.
If he doesn't make it this year I reckon he could be looking for another home.

ScottH
18th February 2012, 04:09 PM
Some photos for those interested www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150685962620039.451521.679670038&type=1

And thanks Matt, too!!

wolftone57
18th February 2012, 04:17 PM
And yet when I first got to the ground Ugg I saw a fella blaze into the forward, demand the ball from the forward, take a strong contested mark, then calmly walk back and slot the goal from 40m - and was thoroughly delighted to see it was Jetta. I think it's important for this young fella that the caoching staff emphasise the good behaviour (while not letting him completely off the hook for the bad).

Agree Gaint I saw his first half and thought it mostly very good. A little quieter in the second but still about and did make a couple of blues. On the whole I thought his effort very good.

Primmy
19th February 2012, 08:51 AM
At the b ottom of the Swans AFL web site under Video's you will find a couple of minutes of highlights from the intraclub match you may be interested in.

wolftone57
21st February 2012, 09:01 AM
I may not have emphasised this in previous posts on this subject. I was very impressed with the way Doggie went about it on the day. He was consistently good. I loved the way he got in and under, tackled and got free for a couple of goals. I wish him luck this year.

giant
21st February 2012, 06:37 PM
I may not have emphasised this in previous posts on this subject. I was very impressed with the way Doggie went about it on the day. He was consistently good. I loved the way he got in and under, tackled and got free for a couple of goals. I wish him luck this year.

Agree, he was good, and I'm not particularly a fan.

wolftone57
22nd February 2012, 05:30 PM
Agree, he was good, and I'm not particularly a fan.

Nor am I Giant. I always believed we recruited too many of his type of player over a short period of time. Short, squat and slow, even though they can kick goals and get under the pack. The problem was always the pace and he was found out quite a few times that is why he has been working so hard. Good on him!