PDA

View Full Version : The Goodes train just keeps on rolling

ShockOfHair
16th February 2012, 02:19 PM
In how many ways is Adam Goodes amazing?

Apart from his athleticism and ability to to everything on a footy field, apart from being 100kg and the fastest Swan over 20m, apart from being a brilliant off-field ambassador and a community leader, he's also 32 years old and as fit as he's ever been.

Longmire says he continues to be stunned by Goodes's fitness, durability and leadership qualities, and doesn't entertain the thought of the day one of the game's best athletes will no longer be wearing the red and white.
"Mentally, he's feeling as good as he's ever been and he's very motivated. The captaincy has been good for him and I think he took it to another level last year. Off the field, he's incredible, and on the field he has an ability to sense that we need something special and delivers consistently."

Longmire is in no doubt that Goodes could play into his late-30s and mount a challenge to the AFL's games record holder Michael Tuck, who played 426 games for Hawthorn, and

Adam Goodes train going at full steam (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/adam-goodes-train-going-at-full-steam/story-e6frg7mf-1226272184489)

AnnieH
16th February 2012, 03:17 PM
Shhhhh.

Don't tell Goodesy he's an old man.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.

Peace
16th February 2012, 03:26 PM
i had to paste the first sentence into google to find the article you attempted to link to ;)

here is the article - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/adam-goodes-train-going-at-full-steam/story-e6frg7mf-1226272184489

ShockOfHair
16th February 2012, 03:35 PM
Oops - and thanks! It's OP, so can't edit.
:redface:

Bleed Red Blood
16th February 2012, 03:39 PM
Should be sole captain.

AnnieH
16th February 2012, 04:55 PM
As much as it shocks me to say this, Macca does a great job as captain. It's improved his ability 100-fold.
I've got nothing to bitch about anymore when it comes to the ex-McHack. Me and my big mouth drove to the speed limit all last season.
(For those who came late, we had a heated discussion a few years ago about Sydney-siders thinking it's more than ok to drive 10k over the speed limit. I swore and promised that if McHack ever played a decent game, I'd stick to the speed limit. Looking forward to driving in the slow lane again this year!! ;) .)

AnnieH
16th February 2012, 05:09 PM
The senior coach likes to refer to his co-captain's playing position as "no fixed address". Every year, the question is posed as to whether Goodes is a better forward or midfielder.

"I believe his best role is both, with actually no specific role," Longmire said. "He's at his best when he can swap and change, and that's when it's hard for opponents to match him up."

In round four at the SCG against North Melbourne, Goodes is scheduled to play game No 304 when he will break his premiership teammate Michael O'Loughlin's Swans record of 303 games over 15 seasons.

"No fixed address" ... hilarious.

Poor Micky, didn't get to hold his record for long.

GongSwan
16th February 2012, 06:19 PM
Do we now believe that Goodes is the greatest ever player to wear the red and white? I never saw Skilton play, i'm not THAT old, but he's probably the best I've seen

Chilcott
17th February 2012, 11:03 AM
Do we now believe that Goodes is the greatest ever player to wear the red and white? I never saw Skilton play, i'm not THAT old, but he's probably the best I've seen

Big call GongSwan. At his best, Goodes definitely is up their with Skilton, etc. However, IMHO, Goodes hasn't had the consistency over his entire career, compared to Skilton and Kelly.

I would put Goodes within the group of players just behind Skilton and Paul Kelly.

AnnieH
17th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Goodesy is a shoe-in for Hall of Fame.
Skilton, Kelly and Goodes played three "different" games. (Stay with me here.)
The game was different when Skilton played, was different again when Kels played, and it is different now.

As much as Paul Kelly's arm muscles were (are) the be all and end all, in the modern game, Goodesy is buffer, fitter and faster.

wolftone57
17th February 2012, 03:37 PM
Adam Goodes was magnificent out there today. He Marshalled the troops, played the ball, kicked for goal, ran up and down the oval and looked like a kid that is how fit he is

R-1
17th February 2012, 04:18 PM
If Adam Goodes has the sort of longevity being talked about, plays til he's 38 and wins another Brownlow, I think he'll be our best ever.

Cpt. Kirk
17th February 2012, 08:14 PM
If Adam Goodes has the sort of longevity being talked about, plays til he's 38 and wins another Brownlow, I think he'll be our best ever.

Maybe because i am as one eyed as they come but i personally reckon he should have got a lot more votes in last years brownlow

royboy42
17th February 2012, 10:18 PM
Goodes is still a work in progress..who knows what he still has in store for us. He is as good a player as i've ever seen..

But ,way back as a Roys supporter in Melbourne, I saw Skilton tear us a new one EVERY time he played us. No tv then, or the royboy family didnt have one anyway, so I only saw him once or twice a season, but I'll never forget it.

It can't have just been Fitzroy he carved up..3 brownlows!

Sandridge
18th February 2012, 09:07 AM

I am that old and it's not just that Skilts was a great player, it's what he meant to the club at the time and ever since. Believe me, when Skilton played for South Melbourne, he was the only thing we had going for us. As a club, we were a basket case BUT Bobby Skilton - a champion player and a champion bloke - played for us! That's why 40 years after he retired, he is still revered by the Swans and still plays such an important role in the Bloods culture.

And Goodesy has earned the right to be spoken about in the same breath as Skilton. To be compared to Bobby, someone not only has to be a champ but also have an aura that transcends pure football ability - a presence that the club's fans cherish. Goodesy has that. In 40 years time, Swans fans will talk about Goodesy in the same way as old timers like me talk about Skilton.

Primmy
18th February 2012, 09:14 AM
Well said.

erica
18th February 2012, 10:19 AM
I say this after every game where he shines - it is an absolute privilege to watch Goodes play in our team. I'm so pleased to be at so many of his games. Absolute legend.

wolftone57
18th February 2012, 12:26 PM
I think he is our best ever and the most talented player I have seen at the Swans. We have had some really great players, Round, Roberts, Skilton, Healy, Kelly, Lockett, Cazaly and Pratt to name a few. But this bloke ranks in the best ever in AFL/VFL Football.

Off topic I had a really good look at the draw for this year and I think we have done really well. Cats and Hawks twice but other than that really good and I think we can beat the Cats and maybe the Hawks too. Goodsie will go close to a third Brownlow this year if not win it!

mcs
18th February 2012, 01:43 PM
I think he is our best ever and the most talented player I have seen at the Swans. We have had some really great players, Round, Roberts, Skilton, Healy, Kelly, Lockett, Cazaly and Pratt to name a few. But this bloke ranks in the best ever in AFL/VFL Football.

Off topic I had a really good look at the draw for this year and I think we have done really well. Cats and Hawks twice but other than that really good and I think we can beat the Cats and maybe the Hawks too. Goodsie will go close to a third Brownlow this year if not win it!

Our draw is really good I think - we want to be right up there by the time the mid season bye rolls around, as our draw after the bye is much tougher than before. If we can start the season well, I think we will push hard for a top four spot.

On the subject of Goodesy, I think Sandridge sums it up. I know in 40 years time, I'll be proud to tell my kids/grandkids about watching Adam Goodes play. He is not only a supremely talented footballer who is a joy to watch, but an absolute gentleman off the field as well to go with it. Long may he continue to prosper on the field.... I don't put a third brownlow past his grasp, or indeed lets hope another Premiership either!

giant
18th February 2012, 03:07 PM
I am that old and it's not just that Skilts was a great player, it's what he meant to the club at the time and ever since. Believe me, when Skilton played for South Melbourne, he was the only thing we had going for us. As a club, we were a basket case BUT Bobby Skilton - a champion player and a champion bloke - played for us! That's why 40 years after he retired, he is still revered by the Swans and still plays such an important role in the Bloods culture.

And Goodesy has earned the right to be spoken about in the same breath as Skilton. To be compared to Bobby, someone not only has to be a champ but also have an aura that transcends pure football ability - a presence that the club's fans cherish. Goodesy has that. In 40 years time, Swans fans will talk about Goodesy in the same way as old timers like me talk about Skilton.

Beautifully put, Sandridge.

Watching Goodsey in the intra club on Friday, it was like he was playing a different sport to the other guys. Astounding.

aardvark
18th February 2012, 05:50 PM
Goodsy may well be the "Most talented" but Skilton will always be the "Best and Fairest" .

magic.merkin
20th February 2012, 12:42 PM
I can't comment as I have never seen any vision of skilts, or watched him Live. But I can say if people who saw both are debating if Goodesy is as good as him, and he won 3 brownlows then I think he must have been a bloody ripper and we are beyond spoilt!

aardvark
20th February 2012, 01:17 PM
I can't comment as I have never seen any vision of skilts, or watched him Live. But I can say if people who saw both are debating if Goodesy is as good as him, and he won 3 brownlows then I think he must have been a bloody ripper and we are beyond spoilt!

Its true to say we are blessed to support a club that has had many wonderful champions, old and new.

Danzar
20th February 2012, 01:36 PM
At the risk of springing one of those icky reverse cliques, when horse talks about Goodes not belonging to any particular position, I think the reverse is a better description - there is no real position that belongs to him. It's a statement of his innate ability to do the impossible and make it look so easy, rather than just his versatility at different parts of the field.

Judd has these tendancies but he's a different player. I've often said that when Judd puts the foot down and does one of his blistering runs through the corridor, it's akin to Moses parting the Red Sea - opposition players just peel away from either side of him. But with Judd, they know how to get him, they're just not good enough to do it. But with Goodsey, it's not like that. When he gets his run on, he is everywhere. He confuses, disorientates and then utterly dominates opposition players.

All this and he's essentially just hit retirement age. Scary.

Nico
20th February 2012, 06:26 PM
Moses might have parted the Red Sea but he was no where near as good as Judd as a footballer. Only rose to the heights of full back for the Sinai Seconds. So it is probably not a good thing to mention both of them in the same sentence when talking footy.

Cosmic Wizard
20th February 2012, 09:03 PM
But the true measure is that some players are carried to 200 or 300 games by their clubs.
Goodes just looks like he has just started his career and the best could still be before him.
I can really see him going on for five more years and a another charlie.
Amazing really, that at 300 games he could have another 100 or so in him!

grarmy
20th February 2012, 11:57 PM
Goodsy is one of the greats, no risk. But it is difficult to put him in the ultimate bracket overlooks one major challenge: Kicking for goal. Accuracy in front of goal either from a standing start or on the run has been a major deficiency in his game. Skilton and Kelly could kick straight. Under 50 metres, they were dead-eye dans. To the Skilton Kelly list I would add Lockett. He really was an everest.

dread and might
25th February 2012, 03:14 PM
. Skilton and Kelly could kick straight. Under 50 metres, they were dead-eye dans.
As much love as I have for the greats, I seem to remember one particular pressure kick at goal of Kelly's in a final where he kicked into the man on the mark.....

I agree that Goodes' goalkicking is the suspect part of his game, but he has kicked plenty of crucial ones under pressure.

ShockOfHair
2nd June 2012, 02:26 PM
From the Fitz Files:

The director of brilliant Australian film The Sapphires, Wayne Blair, after a standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival: ''It all went beautifully. It was Adam Goodes before the hamstring injury.''

League must realise union is strength (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/league-must-realise-union-is-strength-20120601-1znlp.html#ixzz1wbQONXxg)