PDA

View Full Version : NAB Round 4 - Swans v Suns

wolftone57
10th March 2012, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know who we are playing next week? Is it Richmond? When will we find out where we are playing? We should by rights be playing here at Blacktown I think.

baskin
10th March 2012, 03:40 PM
The AFL site says announcements will be made after the completion of games this weekend.

jono2707
10th March 2012, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know who we are playing next week? Is it Richmond? When will we find out where we are playing? We should by rights be playing here at Blacktown I think.

Why would we play a game in another team's heartland? Bring back North Sydney Oval I say!!!

wolftone57
10th March 2012, 07:16 PM
Yes I would prefer to us play in the inner city. Maybe Drumoyne Oval or North Sydney. We could play at MacQuarrie Uni that would make me and half the members of the MQ Footy Club happy.

desredandwhite
10th March 2012, 10:55 PM
Why would we play a game in another team's heartland?

Because it is 10 min from my house, which is the most important reason.

Jewels
10th March 2012, 11:49 PM
Why would we play a game in another team's heartland? Bring back North Sydney Oval I say!!!

Hear, hear Jono! I loved going to the NSO games, they always made me feel that footy season was back!

ugg
10th March 2012, 11:55 PM
Both coach and captain seemed certain we were going to play 'in Sydney' next weekend. Since Blacktown is the only listed Sydney-based venue, it looks like we're headed there. Nice and accessible for the GWS coaches to spy on us.

ugg
10th March 2012, 11:57 PM
We're playing the Suns at Blacktown Saturday 1pm

aardvark
11th March 2012, 09:13 AM
Looks very much like it won't be on tv either.

Saturday March 17
GWS Giants v Richmond at Manuka, 12.30pm
Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns at Blacktown International Sportspark, 1pm
Geelong Cats v Western Bulldogs at Simonds Stadium, 3pm
Carlton v North Melbourne at Visy Park, 3.30pm

aardvark
11th March 2012, 09:14 AM
Nice and accessible for the GWS coaches to spy on us.

Might be hard to see a lot from Canberra.:smile:

goswannie14
11th March 2012, 09:16 AM
Looks very much like it won't be on tv either.

Saturday March 17
GWS Giants v Richmond at Manuka, 12.30pm
Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns at Blacktown International Sportspark, 1pm
Geelong Cats v Western Bulldogs at Simonds Stadium, 3pm
Carlton v North Melbourne at Visy Park, 3.30pmWhy would it be on TV? It's a practice match.

Cheer Squad
11th March 2012, 09:22 AM

Does anyone know why the North Sydney fixture was abandoned?

Primmy
11th March 2012, 09:38 AM
North Syd Council allocated the oval to the Starlight Picture shows for a period of some six weeks, showing open air movies. Would have been rained out this year.

wolftone57
11th March 2012, 09:52 AM
How do you get to this terrible place? It is near Mt Druitt for goodness sake and let's face it there is not much good that can be said of Mt Druitt. I do have some experience of Mt Druitt as my Aunt lived in Lethbridge Pk and Mt Druitt. Not good experiences either one. In looking at the map I would get a train to Doonside and walk copious kilometres to the ground.

aardvark
11th March 2012, 09:57 AM
Why would it be on TV? It's a practice match.

I had a look on the advance guide for foxtel and the timeslots are set aside for AFL live telecasts. No info on which ones though. Wait and see i suppose. Maybe 90.5 Alive might do their thing again!!

aardvark
11th March 2012, 10:10 AM
I had a look on the advance guide for foxtel and the timeslots are set aside for AFL live telecasts. No info on which ones though. Wait and see i suppose. Maybe 90.5 Alive might do their thing again!!

Found this on Fox Footy.....

Eight more matches are played between 16-18 March 2012 with
the teams that didn't make it into the NAB Cup Grand Final.
Check foxsports.com.au for details closer to the date.

wolftone57
11th March 2012, 10:18 AM
How would you get tickets to a trial match? Do you go through tickatek? I would love to see the game live but it is a long way for me from Lilyfield and I don't know where to get tickets.

stellation
11th March 2012, 11:37 AM
NSO games were wonderful, but weren't they also 16 a side because of the ground size? If so no way they play a pre-season match there bar a practice match like the old Bombers fixture.

Saturday @ 1 sucks, I was really keen to go and had fingers crossed for exactly that time/location on Sunday but can't make Saturday. BOOOOOOO AFL/WORLD!

stellation
11th March 2012, 11:38 AM
How would you get tickets to a trial match? Do you go through tickatek? I would love to see the game live but it is a long way for me from Lilyfield and I don't know where to get tickets.
With all due respect, saying Lilyfield -> Blacktown is a long way is a slap in the face to a hell of a lot of footy fans! :D

goswannie14
11th March 2012, 11:42 AM
With all due respect, saying Lilyfield -> Blacktown is a long way is a slap in the face to a hell of a lot of footy fans! :DHear, hear!!!

desredandwhite
11th March 2012, 12:03 PM
Ahhhhh I think I'll pop over next Saturday. Give it ten minutes to get to the ground, maybe a little more if I dawdle. It takes me about 30-40 min to get to Homebush, and considerably more to get to the SCG, so I have no qualms about rejoicing in a game that's close by ;) It's actually a nice ground with decent facilities. Much closer to AFL spec size-wise than NSO, so I'm happy with that.

To be fair, it's in Rooty Hill, not Blacktown. They should have called it the Rooty Colosseum. Much more snappy than Blacktown Olympic Park. I assume they will announce ticketing details later, but I would be surprised if members are charged.

top40
11th March 2012, 12:57 PM
What about Henson Park?

ugg
11th March 2012, 01:05 PM
I think the time was made with the following week's game in mind. Try and get it as early as possible

wolftone57
11th March 2012, 01:14 PM
With all due respect, saying Lilyfield -> Blacktown is a long way is a slap in the face to a hell of a lot of footy fans! :D

It is if you don't drive. By the way Doonside is not Blacktown but I was referring to the Name of the venue. Doonside is closer to bloody Mt Druitt as I pointed out if you had have read correctly. If you drive it is ok but I don't drive so hence it is a long way by public transport. Why is it a slap in the face do you take these area things that personally? I made the comment based on my location and ease of getting to the ground. SCG, Drummoyne, North Sydney are all easier to get to for me. I was commenting from my standpoint epistemology.

top40
11th March 2012, 01:20 PM
I come from the southern suburbs of Sydney. As the crow flies, the Rooty Hill venue is a fair way away. However, in using the freeways in the south-western metropolitan area of Sydney, it's not a bad drive to get there, very little stress. It is MUCH better than spending over half an hour travelling less than 2Ks in the Moore Park presinct in car park like traffic to get to the SCG. That reminds me of those complainers who hate travelling to Homebush. At least the traffic gettiing there is not NEARLY as bad as travelling to the SCG by car. And Homebush to the public transporters is right next to a railway station, unlike the SCG.

wolftone57
11th March 2012, 01:35 PM
I come from the southern suburbs of Sydney. As the crow flies, the Rooty Hill venue is a fair way away. However, in using the freeways in the south-western metropolitan area of Sydney, it's not a bad drive to get there, very little stress. It is MUCH better than spending over half an hour travelling less than 2Ks in the Moore Park presinct in car park like traffic to get to the SCG. That reminds me of those complainers who hate travelling to Homebush. At least the traffic gettiing there is not NEARLY as bad as travelling to the SCG by car. And Homebush to the public transporters is right next to a railway station, unlike the SCG.

I don't mind going to Homebush to games it is quite easy and the station is close to the ground. But your point about the ease of getting to Doonside/Mt Druitt is floored because you are driving. I am just saying I would have preferred to have the game played closer to my home and in our zone. The Westies are quite happy it is out there as it is easy for them to get to. It will take me an hour and a half by public transport and I don't know how to get to the ground from Doonside Station or how long it will take. We are playing in the Enemies zone where we should be playing in our zone and giving school kids free tickets to try to get more junior comps going in our area.

Matt79
11th March 2012, 02:12 PM
Would have loved it....only 15min drive away.

However, playing in cricket semi finals on Saturday.

mcs
11th March 2012, 02:42 PM
I might go out and watch the practice game down here between GWS and Richmond... sure to be four men and a dog at the game. And to think just how much money the ACT Government is wasting by giving it to the AFL and GWS for 4 games a year... 3 home premiership games against the crappiest teams they can find and a practice game :frown

stellation
11th March 2012, 03:29 PM
It is if you don't drive. By the way Doonside is not Blacktown but I was referring to the Name of the venue. Doonside is closer to bloody Mt Druitt as I pointed out if you had have read correctly. If you drive it is ok but I don't drive so hence it is a long way by public transport. Why is it a slap in the face do you take these area things that personally? I made the comment based on my location and ease of getting to the ground. SCG, Drummoyne, North Sydney are all easier to get to for me. I was commenting from my standpoint epistemology.
Slap in the face was just kidding around, I didn't mean for it to be offensive and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I know what it's like not to drive and can appreciate it can be a bit of a headache at times, but Lilyfield -> BOP just made me smile because it didn't seem that far to travel for a Saturday afternoon game (even by PT).

wolftone57
11th March 2012, 03:46 PM
Slap in the face was just kidding around, I didn't mean for it to be offensive and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I know what it's like not to drive and can appreciate it can be a bit of a headache at times, but Lilyfield -> BOP just made me smile because it didn't seem that far to travel for a Saturday afternoon game (even by PT).

It is an hour and a half and I wasn't upset I thought you Westies were getting upset LOL. My time these days is very valuable so I try not to go to places that are going to take me a long time to get there. I am back at Uni and it is getting the the crunch end of my degree 2nd & third years this year. Half way through second and start third in Semester Two. Just a bummer for me but I will catch up on my reading on the train and bus.

sfan
11th March 2012, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know why the North Sydney fixture was abandoned? ground not upto AFL standard. They games there were 15 side with lots of interchange and a tree hanging over the boundary line.

sfan
11th March 2012, 03:49 PM
i will be at the game next week. Easy drive from the Hills on the M7.

gazza
11th March 2012, 05:19 PM
coming up from the sth highlands,rooty hill easier than scg.two questions i need help with?
do we need to be early because of ground size"? and where do i get off the m7? please somebody.never been there before

Cheer Squad
11th March 2012, 05:55 PM
coming up from the sth highlands,rooty hill easier than scg.two questions i need help with?
do we need to be early because of ground size"? and where do i get off the m7? please somebody.never been there before

Approaching from the south, the quickest way to get to Homebush from the M7 is to turn right onto the M4 Motorway at Eastern Creek. It should be smooth sailing from there to the Olympic Park precinct; it's about 20km away.

When you get within the vicinity of Olympic Park, there are roads signs directing you to the parking stations. Have you booked parking through Ticketek? Parking in P1 is usually $20-25.

If you park in P1, arriving a couple of hours before the game should net you a handy parking space.

strapper
11th March 2012, 06:11 PM
Cheer Squad THE GAME is BLACKTOWN not HOMEBUSH

strapper
11th March 2012, 06:18 PM
Coming from the south take M7 then turn off at the Wallgrove exit ,Turn into wallgrove Rd head Nth and cross the Gt Western Highway into Rooty Hill Rd south continue about 1 KL turn right into Eastern Rd & BOP is about 800m on the left

wolftone57
11th March 2012, 06:20 PM

Yes Homebush is easy but Doonside/Mt Druitt is not as easy. Probably is if driving. What is the go with getting into the ground? Do you have to prepay tickets or is it pay at gate?

erica
11th March 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm sure the club will tell all tomorrow. They will want us at the game. :smile:

strapper
11th March 2012, 06:35 PM
Last NAB cup games out there they raan Shuttle Bus services from Doonside Station

gazza
11th March 2012, 06:38 PM
Coming from the south take M7 then turn off at the Wallgrove exit ,Turn into wallgrove Rd head Nth and cross the Gt Western Highway into Rooty Hill Rd south continue about 1 KL turn right into Eastern Rd & BOP is about 800m on the left
thanks strapper much appreciated

wolftone57
11th March 2012, 07:00 PM
Last NAB cup games out there they raan Shuttle Bus services from Doonside Station

Thanks Strapper it is quite a way from Doonside by the map I read.

erica
11th March 2012, 07:10 PM
It is now called Blacktown International Sportspark. Their website has a map here. About Us (http://www.blacktownsportspark.com.au/about-us/about-us_home.cfm)

Cheer Squad
11th March 2012, 07:30 PM

Oops:redface:

I was a week ahead of myself!

Bas
11th March 2012, 09:05 PM
It is if you don't drive. I was commenting from my standpoint epistemology.

That sort of thing will result in a lost licemse everytime. Bit of dypsomania.

It is an hour and a half and I wasn't upset I thought you Westies were getting upset LOL.. Just a bummer for me but I will catch up on my reading on the train and bus.

Upset not cold enough to wear my Lumber jacket. Train to Doonside then just pinch a car. Much quicker trip home. Everyone else does.

Approaching from the south, the quickest way to get to Homebush from the M7 is to turn right onto the M4 Motorway at Eastern Creek. It should be smooth sailing from there to the Olympic Park precinct; it's about 20km away.

When you get within the vicinity of Olympic Park, there are roads signs directing you to the parking stations. Have you booked parking through Ticketek? Parking in P1 is usually $20-25.

If you park in P1, arriving a couple of hours before the game should net you a handy parking space.

Cheer Squad, the grinder in the tool shed needs replacing.

Cut and paste for next week.

Primmy
12th March 2012, 08:23 AM
Its a Practice game, not NAB. And it is not against GWS its Gold Coast. So it will just be Us and the crows/seagulls. I doubt we can expect all that much spectator organisation. Take your own water, picnic, etc. Bring fold ups for just in case. all that sort of stuff.

goswannie14
12th March 2012, 08:40 AM
Its a Practice game, not NAB. And it is not against GWS its Gold Coast. So it will just be Us and the crows/seagulls. I doubt we can expect all that much spectator organisation. Take your own water, picnic, etc. Bring fold ups for just in case. all that sort of stuff.Finally, someone speaking some sense.

wolftone57
12th March 2012, 01:35 PM
That sort of thing will result in a lost licemse everytime. Bit of dypsomania.

Upset not cold enough to wear my Lumber jacket. Train to Doonside then just pinch a car. Much quicker trip home. Everyone else does.

Cheer Squad, the grinder in the tool shed needs replacing.

Cut and paste for next week.

Never have driven Bas, don't believe in killing people myself, don't know about you? So never have been done for D&D.

I'm from Lilyfield not MacQuarie Park or Campbelltown we don't pinch cars in my areas we pinch limos or motor yachts.

desredandwhite
12th March 2012, 02:14 PM
Free admission for members with game access. I think about $13 otherwise.

Bas
12th March 2012, 02:33 PM
Never have driven Bas, don't believe in killing people myself, don't know about you? So never have been done for D&D.

I'm from Lilyfield not MacQuarie Park or Campbelltown we don't pinch cars in my areas we pinch limos or motor yachts.

Look Wolfy, I agree totally with you. Women should be banned from driving 4WD's. Its just not natural. It's like men being in the kitchen and laundry. No, no, not natural.

Not very practical pinching a motor yacht to get to the game on Saturday.

Untamed Snark
12th March 2012, 02:44 PM
Look Wolfy, I agree totally with you. Women should be banned from driving 4WD's. Its just not natural. It's like men being in the kitchen and laundry. No, no, not natural.

You have seen the rain lately?

Danzar
12th March 2012, 04:10 PM
Wear red, white and green. It's St Patricks Day this Saturday.

Nich
12th March 2012, 05:06 PM
Wear red, white and green. It's St Patricks Day this Saturday.

Poor Tommy Walsh. Wonder if he'll get given a rest. I'm sure he'll make up for it Saturday night after the game. Enjoy recovery Sunday morning Tommy!

satchmopugdog
12th March 2012, 06:43 PM
Would have loved it....only 15min drive away.

However, playing in cricket semi finals on Saturday.

Good luck Matt..hope your team is called the Tigers ......Go Tassie

wolftone57
12th March 2012, 07:51 PM

Probably not but at Homebush Bay it would come in handy and I could get out at Callan Park WOW HOME, well almost. FOUR WHEEL DRIVES B****Y FOUR WHEEL DRIVES, BLOW EM UP I SAY, give me a good KINGSWOOD any day!

ugg
13th March 2012, 09:01 PM
It's now a double header!

12.00noon - Gates open
1.00pm - Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns
4.00pm - Sydney Swans Reserves practice match v Ainslie

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=130607

But the shuttle buses to Doonside train station stop at 4.45pm. Hmm.

giant
13th March 2012, 11:01 PM
It's now a double header!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=130607

But the shuttle buses to Doonside train station stop at 4.45pm. Hmm.

NARF.

ugg
14th March 2012, 10:11 AM
I believe the rules for this match revert back to the regular season ones? The biggest one being 3+1 instead of 2+2 for the interchange/substitutes.

wolftone57
14th March 2012, 05:21 PM
I believe the rules for this match revert back to the regular season ones? The biggest one being 3+1 instead of 2+2 for the interchange/substitutes.

Oh Yes UGG I believe you are right and that is going to be brilliant to play under normal match conditions. Now we can try our ruck combo's for real.

ugg
15th March 2012, 12:35 PM
2. Rhyce Shaw, 3. Jarrad McVeigh, 4. Daniel Hannebery, 9. Nick Malceski, 11. Jed Lamb, 12. Josh Kennedy, 13. Andrejs Everitt, 14. Craig Bird, 15. Kieren Jack, 16. Gary Rohan, 20. Sam Reid, 21. Ben McGlynn, 24. Jude Bolton, 25. Ted Richards, 26. Luke Parker, 29. Martin Mattner, 30. Lewis Roberts-Thomson, 32. Lewis Jetta, 34. Alex Johnson, 37. Adam Goodes, 38. Mike Pyke, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 41. Shane Mumford, 44. Harry Cunningham

Potential forwards in Seaby Morton Walsh and White all left out

Possibly looking at a Reid Goodes Pyke LRT or Everitt setup

aardvark
15th March 2012, 01:59 PM
Hmmm.... Harry makes the cut again and Jed Lamb gets a run. Good luck boys.

R-1
15th March 2012, 02:06 PM
25 names. How close do we think this is to the run-on side next week?

15th March 2012, 02:08 PM
So I'm thinking the 22 to play against GWS will come from Saturdays 25 meaning three of this list to miss out. One would obviously be Lamb and probably Cunningham and Everitt. Don't think anyone else of note isn't playing other than the injured guys like ROK and Spangher.

Every player knows a good performance on Saturday is needed to cement a place against GWS.

If Seaby Morton Walsh or White were going to play R1 they would be in the 25 so they are not contenders. The forward set up still looks cobbled together.

The FF/ruck will be Pyke or LRT. Pyke just needs to show a lot more in general play than he did last week.

R-1
15th March 2012, 02:16 PM
A defender will miss the 22 from that squad, surely. Richards, LRT, Mattner, Malceski, Grundy, Johnson, Smith, Shaw and I guess Everitt. Did we go in with all nine of them at any time last year? Or even eight?

ugg
15th March 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm betting that LRT might play forward this weekend as an audition for a Round 1 spot. It's surprising that Lamb was named in this side given that he's not played in any of the matches so far so he's very unlikely to play in Round 1. In addition, there's the reserves match after where he could have had a run in any case. I thought that last position would have been more useful including one or both of Walsh and White and have them have one last go and claiming a spot.

After asking around I've found out that the side playing on the day will be the standard 22 man squad with 3 interchange and 1 sub. For the second half, a totally new team sheet is submitted meaning the 3 that miss out on the first half can play in the 2nd half.

ShockOfHair
15th March 2012, 02:42 PM
It does look pretty close to full-strength, though I'm wondering if Morton has been excluded because he's played in every previous game.

I'm sure LRT will probably play up forward but may also get a run as ruck.

Should be interesting game. Suns will smarting after last week. I hope Jack goes head to head with Ablett.

Auntie.Gerald
15th March 2012, 03:08 PM
after watching the 3 games so far.....I think LRT is still ahead of Pykey, Seaby, Walsh and White in the tall forward and ruck role

plus he can play down back when needed against tall teams etc

ugg
15th March 2012, 03:11 PM
after watching the 3 games so far.....I think LRT is still ahead of Pykey, Seaby, Walsh and White in the tall forward and ruck role

Considering LRT has played 1.5 games and all at fullback that is a pretty damning indictment on the performances of the other 4.

swansrob
15th March 2012, 04:07 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/okeefe-in-doubt-for-round-one-20120315-1v6cp.html
It does look pretty close to full-strength, though I'm wondering if Morton has been excluded because he's played in every previous game.

Longmire said Sydney wouldn't be resting any of their fit and available players this weekend.

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 04:07 PM
Hmmm.... Harry makes the cut again and Jed Lamb gets a run. Good luck boys.

Yes was most happy to see Hannas and Lambchop out there. Looking more like a starting line up for the Giants game I think. So out of this lot come the team for round one. Three to shed. Lamb will probably be shed due to lack of game time but I hope not he's a clever blighter. The 2nd ruck looks to be out of Pyke and LRT. Then there was one and it will be out of Everitt and Cunningham probably.

Auntie.Gerald
15th March 2012, 04:20 PM
Considering LRT has played 1.5 games and all at fullback that is a pretty damning indictment on the performances of the other 4.

ugg it was more i didnt see enough from the other lads to rotate thru ruck and ff

maybe others did ?

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 04:50 PM
ugg it was more i didnt see enough from the other lads to rotate thru ruck and ff

maybe others did ?

From what I have seen so far Pyke provides a presence up forward. He won't kick a bag every week but he will contest and bring the ball to ground. He is very strong in the contest and if the rover doesn't get the loose ball he will dive in or dive onto the opponent with the ball. Believe me he is a BIG tackler, he hurts them and they don't get away.

Seaby did a few good things by getting loose but not so good in the pack situation and definitely not a great tackle. The least mobile of all.

Walsh doesn't seem to have shown a lot but did some good body work and Horse played him back to give him a taste of it back there.

LRT only played back so don't know his current forward status.

Jesse was a bit disappointing but did a few good things. I still think he hangs back waiting for things to happen too much.

gazza
15th March 2012, 05:45 PM
lamb,everitt and cunningham to miss next week.can only be improved by inclusion of o'keefe and possibly spanger when fit.the new boys haven't done enough to deserve inclusion.will be watching the progress of mitchell and armstrong as the season continues

15th March 2012, 10:34 PM
Which RWO'ers are going to see the game?

We need an unbiased match report rather than the official Swans blurb which of course observes political sensitivities, unlike on here!

Need to know who was subbed in and out at half time too.

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 11:04 PM
I will be going 707 but I am not on twitter and my phone is not great on the net. I will make a report when I get home but I am certain a few of the RWO people will already be home an hour before I get home.

Melbourne_Blood
16th March 2012, 11:46 AM
Will this be Jed Lambs for hitout for the year ? He was named on fox sports website in the squad. Hope to hear some good reports from those in attendance about his performance, granted he will most likely be quite underdone.

Primmy
16th March 2012, 06:19 PM
I'm going, so AFTER the match, (I am not the twitter at the game type) I shall give you my impressions. Lucky you. Mind you if we are up for it, we will try and stay for the ressies as well. Not guaranteed though

ugg
17th March 2012, 07:58 AM
It's going ton be a wet one, it rained very heavily overnight

stellation
17th March 2012, 09:02 AM
NARFing it today, Stella Jr's basketball team is playing at the same time.

Stay dry, those that are going- there's not a lot of cover at the ground, on the upshot if you take a folding chair and a big brolly I'm guessing you'll be safe to get a good spot you can use it!

wolftone57
17th March 2012, 09:26 AM
I am still going but hoping the rain will ease up. The forecast says the rain will ease around midday. It then goes on to say possible showers in the afternoon. I think they are making it up as they go, having a bet both ways.

ugg
17th March 2012, 10:01 AM
Reserves side named. Jordan Lockyer unexpectedly missing! It'll be good to see players like Meredith, Dennis-Lane and Heath get some game time.

Mark Seaby
Brett Meredith
Trent Dennis-Lane
Mitch Morton
Tommy Walsh
Jesse White
Dylan McNeil
Jarred Moore
Campbell Heath
Jack Lynch
Nathan Gordon
Shane Biggs

Topups

Blake Guthrie
Brandon Jack
Nathan Kenny
Lachlan Kilpatrick
David Lycakis
Andrew Moody
Jordan Weir
Stephen Wray

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/130852/default.aspx

Down in Canberra, the GWS Reserves (aka UWS) are playing a ACT under-23 selection and our opponents for today Ainslie have had 5 players selected in that squad. So it'll be a weakened team we're facing today which is a little disappointing.

ugg
17th March 2012, 11:00 AM
Reserves game transferred to lakeside starting 2.30. I can't make both games obviously. Anyone near lakeside who's not going to Blacktown prepared to go down and have a look?

baskin
17th March 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm going, so AFTER the match, (I am not the twitter at the game type) I shall give you my impressions. Lucky you. Mind you if we are up for it, we will try and stay for the ressies as well. Not guaranteed though
Primmy, Swans site says the Ressies game has been transferred to Lakeside Oval (2.30pm) due to the weather!

swansprincess
17th March 2012, 11:52 AM
Is the game on foxfooty at all, does anyone know?

Peace
17th March 2012, 12:21 PM
Nope. Only telecast game this week is the final.

jono2707
17th March 2012, 12:40 PM
I'm at the game - rain has stopped and it's even looking a bit brighter. Ground looks like it will be more slippery than boggy. Not many people here as yet...

desredandwhite
17th March 2012, 12:56 PM
Yep probably just a couple hundred people. Understandable considering the wearer this morning!! They've opened up the grandstand which is awfully nice of them ;)

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 01:26 PM
Any sign of the allusive Jed Lamb?
Named to play every week, yet unsighted so far.

Jeffers1984
17th March 2012, 01:31 PM
1 goal 7....things never change
quarter time swans 13 (1.7)suns 6 (1.0)

top40
17th March 2012, 01:35 PM
Jed told me himself at the Jumper Presentation that he wasn't playing because he couldn't get into the selective team.

Sydney lead 1.6 to 1.0 at quarter time. They are playing ok, however it seems that the 2011 goal kicking yips are still apparent.

Foreign Legion
17th March 2012, 01:36 PM
Jeez Everitt with 1 goal 3 behinds at qtr time - he could have booked himself a spot for round 1 if he'd kicked straight.

Be very interesting to see if he kicks a few more - will make forward line selection tricky.

DLBIA14
17th March 2012, 01:43 PM
FMD this game has already given me the @@@@s. Why the hell are we such an inaccurate side?! Our whole pre-season has been focused on skills yet I can't see any substantial improvement from last year.

top40
17th March 2012, 01:43 PM
Gary Rohan is limping, and being looked over by Dr Gibbs. And now he has the red vest on

DeadlyAkkuret
17th March 2012, 01:52 PM
Gary Rohan is limping, and being looked over by Dr Gibbs. And now he has the red vest on

@@@@ it. :frown

Dosser
17th March 2012, 01:56 PM
I don't think I want to read any more.

top40
17th March 2012, 02:07 PM
Score for Sydney is 3-10 (The Suns are 6-1). Here's a good title for the Swans: "I know what you DIDN'T do last summer: practice goal kicking"

Oh, and Matty Mattner has just come off limping. Rohan has an icepack over his left ankle and is leaving the ground on crutches.

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 02:08 PM
I'm not at the ground, but I imagine the ball is slippery and heavy, and there's a 30-40 km Southerly blowing.
I wouldn't get too worked up just yet.
The worst thing so far is Gary Rohan limping....again.
I hope his leg issues don't become chronic.

desredandwhite
17th March 2012, 02:10 PM
Woeful. 3.10 to 7.1 at halftime. Playing ok in general play considering the wet ground but there's really no system up forward as Sammy isn't able to take as many marks. Getting plenty of chances. Not taking many of them.

GongSwan
17th March 2012, 02:11 PM
Rohan and Mattner off? This pre season may be the end of us

jono2707
17th March 2012, 02:12 PM
Rohan didn't look good - had to be helped to the tunnel at half time with ice on the ankle.

Sloppy game but we should be ahead - Suns have taken their chances and we've missed a lot of gettable shots. Pyke and Lamb to come on in the 2nd half.

Lucky Knickers
17th March 2012, 02:15 PM
Rohan with a bad ankle and Marty with a knee. We are going to need that week off after round 1. Suns press very good. Our fwds struggling to create movement and provide options. Good too see Hanners back. Shaw, Melcho and Parker excellent.

Mountain Man
17th March 2012, 02:16 PM
So who has been 2nd ruck in the 1st half?

top40
17th March 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm not at the ground, but I imagine the ball is slippery and heavy, and there's a 30-40 km Southerly blowing.
I wouldn't get too worked up just yet.
The worst thing so far is Gary Rohan limping....again.
I hope his leg issues don't become chronic.

I am at the ground. There is virtually no wind at all. Also Gold Coast have kicked 7 goals and 1 behind.

jono2707
17th March 2012, 02:21 PM
LRT has played second ruck and has looked ok at times. Delivery into the forward line pretty similar to many games last year ie pretty poor...

top40
17th March 2012, 02:25 PM
Jed Lamb on for the second half

jono2707
17th March 2012, 02:30 PM
Rhyce didn't complete the warm up for the 2nd half and has now disappeared down the race
- looked like a groin or something - he knew something wast right when he came off.

goswannie14
17th March 2012, 02:34 PM
Is the game on foxfooty at all, does anyone know?No, it's a practice match.

top40
17th March 2012, 02:42 PM
Matty Mattner is back on the field. Only need to worry at this stage about Rohan. Swans goal kicking and general play have greatly improved: winning the quarter 4-4 to 1.1.

jono2707
17th March 2012, 02:43 PM
Lamb on for Rhyce and has been lively so far...

Melbournehammer
17th March 2012, 02:46 PM
I really don't mind losing practice matches, providing we are actually practicing something. But if it is just bomb long to a contest with no crumbers and a poor goal kicking record we are not actually improving with our practice.

I'm still in the Roos camp that we need everyone contributing to near their max for us to win games. We have nearly 30 AFL standard players. But there really are very few match winners on our list

DLBIA14
17th March 2012, 02:46 PM
Damn this game is bringing some casualties. Worried for Rohan, but thankful we have the week off before Freo. Not a great pre-season hey?

rb4x
17th March 2012, 02:52 PM
Live chat has Rohan's ankle broken. Season ending injury!!!

DeadlyAkkuret
17th March 2012, 02:58 PM

Omg.

DLBIA14
17th March 2012, 02:59 PM
God I hope not. That would crush me. Is it a rumour?

top40
17th March 2012, 03:00 PM

A la Seaby 2010

dimelb
17th March 2012, 03:01 PM
Live chat has Rohan's ankle broken. Season ending injury!!!Can you walk off with a broken ankle? Doubt it.

mcs
17th March 2012, 03:01 PM
@@@@@@ is all I can say if Rohan has done his ankle... was so looking forward to him kicking on this season. If he is out long term, at least that might open a spot for Cunningham on the main list, but he is one player we could not afford to lose!

GongSwan
17th March 2012, 03:02 PM
That's wjhat I was going to ask, those at eh game did he walk off? the RUMOUR is broken in 2 or 3 places, tha twould mean a stretcher

dimelb
17th March 2012, 03:03 PM
We're in front 81 to 70 @ three quarter time - 8 goals this Q - who's been kicking them?

top40
17th March 2012, 03:05 PM
Swans kicked 8-5 to 4-3 in the third. Lead 81 to 70 at the last break.

swansrob
17th March 2012, 03:06 PM
@@@@@@ is all I can say if Rohan has done his ankle... was so looking forward to him kicking on this season. If he is out long term, at least that might open a spot for Cunningham on the main list, but he is one player we could not afford to lose!
The spot for Cunningham was already there with Alex Brown on the LTI list, we don't need another one and certainly not Rohan!

DLBIA14
17th March 2012, 03:07 PM
People have mentioned him limping off, getting checked by Gibbs, ice and crutches. That may indicate its not a really bad break or maybe that's me being hopeful? If he has broken it it is an extremely long recovery with a couple of months healing and more months to reach playing fitness...

top40
That's wjhat I was going to ask, those at eh game did he walk off? the RUMOUR is broken in 2 or 3 places, tha twould mean a stretcher

Went off the ground limping. Later using crutches. Never used a stretcher. Any doctors on red and white?

Jeffers1984
Parker leads the possession count with 29 at 3qtr time.
Really @@@@ing worried for Rohan though. :(

desredandwhite
17th March 2012, 03:08 PM
Vastly improved quarter. Goals to mal (who is having a ripper game), lrt, parko, gopher and others. Still a bit precarious up back but we are scoring goals at last.

Far Reach
17th March 2012, 03:09 PM
Rohan might just have rolled the ankle - as likely an explanation as anything else.

Cheer Squad
17th March 2012, 03:13 PM
Looks like inaccuracy in front of goal and wet weather football are haunting us again...

GongSwan
17th March 2012, 03:14 PM
Rohan might just have rolled the ankle - as likely an explanation as anything else.

Most likeley explanation, speaking from personal experience you don't limp away with a badly broken ankle or hang around to put ice on it, you know it's broken and u go to hospital

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 03:25 PM
Most likeley explanation, speaking from personal experience you don't limp away with a badly broken ankle or hang around to put ice on it, you know it's broken and u go to hospital

Agree, sounds more like a sprain with possible ligament damage.

Cheer Squad
17th March 2012, 03:27 PM
Are there many people at the ground?

Jeffers1984
17th March 2012, 03:28 PM
halfway through the last gc lead 84 to 83. It's clear to say that if we lose this it will be due to our woeful conversion again in front of goal. All stats point to us winning this game by a good 4-5 goals

Goodes 0.3
Everitt 1.4

Foreign Legion
17th March 2012, 03:33 PM
Looks like Cunningham and Mumford kicked one each - we are now 12 points in front.

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 03:35 PM
And McVeigh 18 up

nomae
17th March 2012, 03:38 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_En03Ia-msvA/Swv0SU2W5dI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/rp7g6MKdM5Y/s1600/ffffffuuuuuuuu.png

longmile
17th March 2012, 03:39 PM
Good to hear our accuracy has improved from last yr

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure if it's the press everyone uses or not, but, for a supposedly unorganised forward line, we are certainly scoring more freely so far this year.
Even discounting the wayward goal kicking.

top40
17th March 2012, 03:41 PM
Swans win by 19 points, scoring the last 21, Eskie BOG

dimelb
17th March 2012, 03:42 PM
FT Swans 14.19.103 to 13.6.84. With GC's accuracy it would have been a massacre.

Just looking at the stats it looks like Mal is back to his best, Mummy monstered them, Kennedy over 30 possesions as did Parker. We've found one in Parker, into my Dreamteam son!

desredandwhite
Not much system however we got enough of the ball to win. If we meet Geelong or hawthorn in the wet, it will be a record breaker. Final scores 14.19.103 to 13.6.84. 700+ at the ground. I want to know where they were all hiding.

Jeffers1984
Final Score Swans 14.19 103 to Suns 13.6 84

Top Disposals
Kennedy 34
Parker 32
Malceski 31

Multiple Goal Scorers
McGlynn 2.0
LRT 2.0
and a whole bunch of singles (Reid did not kick a goal)

Only big concern is Rohans ankle obviously

Foreign Legion
Good to see Hannebery with 22 possies - he looks like he'll be straight in next week.

Parker looks like he is going to be 'special' as Bruce would say - a lazy 32 disposals.

Cheer Squad
17th March 2012, 03:43 PM
Not exactly the most convincing display, especially against last year's wooden spooners.

Any word on the seriousness of Rohan's injury?

desredandwhite
17th March 2012, 03:45 PM
Parko and Mal BOG. Mummy got a million taps. Joey was good and it was nice to see Hanners back directing traffic. Some really nice stuff from Marty. AJ was good too. Lamb looked a lively sort and was unlucky not to kick a goal or two, unless he jagged one of the ones I didn't see clearly.

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 03:47 PM
I keep reading how we are bombing it long too often,. Wasn't long ago we were supposedly kicking too short.
Anyway over 400 possies today and 33 shots on goal...Seems like a good hit out.
Just need to convert more chances....easy!

rb4x
17th March 2012, 03:51 PM
Anyone know how AFL do the stats when the team sheet is changed at half time? Bolton, Pyke and Lamb do not appear there but we know Lamb at least replaced Shaw. Were his stats added to Shaw or do they just not appear.

Meg
17th March 2012, 03:53 PM
Did Mike Pyke come on in second half? If so how did he play?

DLBIA14
17th March 2012, 03:56 PM
I keep reading how we are bombing it long too often,. Wasn't long ago we were supposedly kicking too short.
Anyway over 400 possies today and 33 shots on goal...Seems like a good hit out.
Just need to convert more chances....easy!

This has been one of the most distinct game plan changes we have. We used to be very comfortable hanging on to the ball, being patient in trying to find a good lead and making incremental movements up the ground. Certainly now Horse wants our forward entries to be quick and direct to the top of the square. Unfortunately teams drop players down back so we are often out numbered and a lot of the kicks aren't necessarily to advantage.

ugg
17th March 2012, 03:58 PM
Very worrying performance and add the injuries to Rohan and Shaw plus the reserves game being cancelled it doesn't bode well for next week. More thoughts later

ugg
17th March 2012, 03:59 PM
Did Mike Pyke come on in second half? If so how did he play?

No he was dressed but didn't play. Shaw must have done something at halftime but since the team sheets for the second half were already submitted the swans weren't allowed to bring Pyke in for shaw late

Cheer Squad
17th March 2012, 04:00 PM
Very worrying performance and add the injuries to Rohan and Shaw plus the reserves game being cancelled it doesn't bode well for next week. More thoughts later

I wouldn't be too worried. The Giants have been put in their place by Richmond, who flogged them by about 12 goals.

msb
17th March 2012, 04:09 PM

Pffft, worried about a practice match??? I dont think geelong was too worried when richmond flogged them down in geelong, or collingwood last week when they were smashed by the crows....results do not matter this time of year, ive heard it was pissing rain up there anyway, always decreases the skill level (we won the game anyway). What is to worry about is the injuries sustained. Geez I hope rohan is not too bad!

J_Moore
17th March 2012, 04:21 PM
So this "broken ankle" thing is just off live chat, right?

sfan
17th March 2012, 04:41 PM
My impressions are that the forward line really struggled in the wet. Poor kicking in a calm day albeit a bit wet. No real system and most goals were from congested footy in the forward line.

Rohan was sitting in front of us. Big bag of ice on the ankle on crutches. Rhyce Shaw was rubbing his lower left back kidney area. Maybe a knock.

Eski best on ground.

jono2707
17th March 2012, 04:44 PM
Not too worried about the performance - actually the Suns were pretty impressive and hard at it - I think the loss to GWS stung them a bit. Of course our delivery inside 50 needs a lot of work but I thought our defense was pretty strong and our midfield decent. Luke Parker is certainly stepping up. Everett was pretty good too and the only real concern is on the injury front.

Also whilst it was interesting for me to see the ground at Blacktown for the first time perhaps this game should have been played somewhere regional like Coffs, Wollongong or Wagga or somewhere similar? Even with the weather it was a paltry turn-out....

ugg
17th March 2012, 04:50 PM
Pffft, worried about a practice match??? I dont think geelong was too worried when richmond flogged them down in geelong, or collingwood last week when they were smashed by the crows....results do not matter this time of year, ive heard it was pissing rain up there anyway, always decreases the skill level (we won the game anyway). What is to worry about is the injuries sustained. Geez I hope rohan is not too bad!

Firstly, Chris Scott was unhappy with the way his team went last week. Secondly, this was supposedly our full strength side with only Jude missing out today. Thirdly, it wasn't raining, it was perhaps a little wet but there weren't that many fumbles and slips as you would expect it conditions were that atrocious. In any case, are you going to guarantee that it won't rain next week at ANZ Stadium?

It was worrying because the forward setup was a complete mess again and this time it was a new setup that they hadn't tried before for the whole of the preseason with LRT and Everitt supporting Reid.

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 04:50 PM
Seems odd that the reserves game was shifted to Lakeside, then cancelled. When from all reports the Blacktown ground was in good nick.
On the surface it seems the original decision to move the reserves game(scheduled for 4pm), was a hasty one, made during early morning rain....which cleared by late morning.
Maybe those that make these decisions should look at the BOM radar first.
Very disappointing for the 2's and the clubs preparations in general.

ugg
17th March 2012, 05:00 PM
and I'm sure Ainslie wouldn't have been too pleased either coming up the highway for nothing. They could have played the game at Blacktown, it looked fine after the seniors game, whoever made the call made it way too early.

msb
17th March 2012, 05:01 PM
Firstly, Chris Scott was unhappy with the way his team went last week. Secondly, this was supposedly our full strength side with only Jude missing out today. Thirdly, it wasn't raining, it was perhaps a little wet but there weren't that many fumbles and slips as you would expect it conditions were that atrocious. In any case, are you going to guarantee that it won't rain next week at ANZ Stadium?

It was worrying because the forward setup was a complete mess again and this time it was a new setup that they hadn't tried before for the whole of the preseason with LRT and Everitt supporting Reid.

Exactly, a new setup, which you trial in practice games, it does not cause concern to be worried as such. Sure chris scott would of been unhappy and horse may be aswell, but I really dont think they would be worried, only to do with the injuries.

Legs Akimbo
17th March 2012, 05:08 PM
If he didn't go to hospital, then it is not broken. I'm betting sprained ankle or ligaments 2-4 weeks.

Actually I have no idea but hopefully relieves the tension.

top40
17th March 2012, 05:15 PM

I try to avoid being judgmental.....but gee your a pessimist!

Their performance was sound, but not exactly "very worrying" . Big thing is to kick more accurately. Don't think Shaw is injured, no reports as such, and no sighting at the game of an injury. I get a feeling the Rohan broken ankle is a silly rumor.

How about in a glass half FULL we turn to:

Eskys performance,
Hanaberry's 20 plus second half possessions,
Jed Lamb playing so well in top competition.
The fact that unlike last year Gary Ablett played for the Suns all game.
33 scoring shots to 19 (although the goal kicking is a bit of worry)

Jeffers1984
17th March 2012, 05:18 PM
From Swans official fb.
"John Longmire spoke after the game against the Suns and said that Gary Rohan rolled his ankle; it?s been iced it up and more should be known early in the week. Marty Mattner took a knock to the lower leg, but ran out the game. Rhyce Shaw didn?t play the second half due to tightness in his back, while Jude Bolton missed with some tightness in the calf ? both should be in the mix for next week."

thank god for that.

stellation
17th March 2012, 05:45 PM
and I'm sure Ainslie wouldn't have been too pleased either coming up the highway for nothing. They could have played the game at Blacktown, it looked fine after the seniors game, whoever made the call made it way too early.
That is pretty poor form cancelling the game, I have to say. Is there word on where it came from?

ugg
17th March 2012, 05:47 PM
I try to avoid being judgmental.....but gee your a pessimist!

Their performance was sound, but not exactly "very worrying" . Big thing is to kick more accurately. Don't think Shaw is injured, no reports as such, and no sighting at the game of an injury. I get a feeling the Rohan broken ankle is a silly rumor.

How about in a glass half FULL we turn to:

Eskys performance,
Hanaberry's 20 plus second half possessions,
Jed Lamb playing so well in top competition.
The fact that unlike last year Gary Ablett played for the Suns all game.
33 scoring shots to 19 (although the goal kicking is a bit of worry)

Don't get me wrong top40 there were plenty of positives, in addition to those I would add

Alex Johnson's composure down back when under pressure.
LRT's performance at FF offered us much more than what the other candidates had in the previous weeks and his set shot kicking was terrific.
Luke Parker playing like a veteran midfielder, going into the packs at full speed and whilst he sometimes came off second best, he kept going and left you wondering if he's made out of steel.

But the big problem we had last year was converting our chances into goals, and based on today's performance it hasn't improved. While conditions weren't sunny, it wasn't as bad as some here might like to make out. Time and again, our midfielders and half-forwards would blindly bomb it long hoping for some miracle that Reidy could outmark 2 or 3 opponents. Add to that some brain explosions in defence that gifted plenty of goals to the Suns, and that's how I came to my very worrying conclusion. We should have blown the Suns out of the water, they should never have been in this game, but they were still a chance to nick it midway through the 4th.

Primmy
17th March 2012, 05:48 PM
OK, so spent a fair amount of the time watching the interchange and it was fascinating.
Confirm, Rohan got off the ground under his own steam, just. Could barely make it to sidelines. Lot of pain.
Subbed by ChitChat who didn't look all that upset about having to be subbed on so early, and set about throwing himself into as many contests as he could and did some very good work.
Shaw looked very very uncomfortable, we understood it was hip. He was having a good game up until then, although he kicked waywardly at times.
Impressed by Everett. He has worked and worked, and it shows. Kicking for goal has little confidence though. He also did a bit of ruck work, Taubert acknowledged him coming off the ground after a session.
LRT is getting better. Nice new haircut too.
Marty - we should be doubling his pay. He took a knock to the knee, and I thought Gawwn, but he came back, and had a blinder.
Joey, sheesh, how he does his job, with his size, beggers belief.
Sam, double teamed, and didn't handle it all that well. However obviously Goodsey's speech had an effect because he did not go into a shell, he persisted, and ended up doing some pretty good stuff.
Luke Parker - that is one powerful, persistent, skillful and self believing kid. Got a knock to the guts and had to come off, trying to breath; took a bit of time for the oxygen to reach his lungs, then turned around and back to the interchange, ready and willing. Tough as, and he is good at his game too. We have a "special" here.
Benny is a gem.
Jed Lamb will be ok. He did some good stuff, and he was very "into" being on the ground. They will probably have to put the brakes on him for a while.
Harry Cunningham; kid in a blokes body, and a blokes attitude. He plays like a 28 year old, not an 18yo. Keeper.
Weird not seeing Jude out on the ground, and he obviously thought so too. He was in the stands, then down on ground level next to the pine, until they sent him back up into the stands again. Not a good spectator I would say.
Special little moment when Joey came off after doing something relatively spectacular. One gentleman in the crowd yelled out at him the he was pleased he was doing what he had told him to do and Joey looked up into the stands and gave a smile and acknowledgement. We all cheered.
Kizza may be on the point of having an extra good year this season......not saying, just observing.......
Love love Ted.
NicMal played his guts out, and he is getting better and better.
Mummy, he is a very good player, and will get better.
AJ, lot of growth in him yet, but we have a safe future there.

OK, so kick for goals was crap. BUT they didn't hang their heads, they didn't lose self belief, they fought out the game to the inth degree. It will get better.

I love footy.

Primmy
17th March 2012, 05:52 PM
That is pretty poor form cancelling the game, I have to say. Is there word on where it came from?
You couldn't have played another game on the ground after the seniors had gone at it. It looked like the surface of a golf ball! The boundary was wet and the boots sent up squirts of water. They would not have known exactly HOW much rain was going to fall, and etc. If they had moved the ressies game to Lakeside, then so be it. Would have liked to have stayed for it too, but....its a Practise Match!

stellation
17th March 2012, 06:04 PM
You couldn't have played another game on the ground after the seniors had gone at it. It looked like the surface of a golf ball! The boundary was wet and the boots sent up squirts of water. They would not have known exactly HOW much rain was going to fall, and etc. If they had moved the ressies game to Lakeside, then so be it. Would have liked to have stayed for it too, but....its a Practise Match!
I think I'm still just hyper-sensitive to ground closures from my Auskick coaching days! :D

ernie koala
17th March 2012, 06:17 PM
Good stuff Primmy, thanks for that.

annew
17th March 2012, 06:25 PM
Jed Lamb on for the second half

Is Jed Lamb the first swan to wear number 11 since MAxfield?

ugg
17th March 2012, 06:28 PM
Was Ed Barlow that underwhelming?

Matt79
17th March 2012, 06:30 PM

Yes Jed Lamb...first PLAYER to wear the number 11 since Maxfield! :)

annew
17th March 2012, 06:34 PM

LOL thanks

wolftone57
17th March 2012, 07:28 PM
I got there just after quarter time due to public transport glitches. It took me two and a half hours to get there from Lilyfield all because of late Pub Trans and Trackwork. But from what I was I liked a few things.

Mal is back although at one stage we thought he may be gone as he reached for his knee, false alarm thank Homer.

I TOLD YOU SO, NAH, NAH, NAH, NAH! Luke Parker is a GUN! This bloke will win the Brownlow one day, Bolts is great but this kid is gold. In and under, on the run, in front of goal, saving goals. He is a natural and has a great head for the game. The boys are now waiting for the lightening quick handball.

Lamb came on and did some good things, gave us another avenue. He did a really clever handball, ala Daicos over the head.

The Backs were all great, this is a top defense. Smithy is SPECIAL. Bryce Gibbs' father Lance invented the game Smithy plays, worry them out of it then run off them and if you can hurt them by kicking a goal or two. No goals today but lots of tackle and run.

The Forward like is a worry. we can't continue to just bomb the ball into Full Forward. We need some system if we are going to kick long into the danger zone. For the most part we were not putting the ball to the advantage of our players. In the last we started to get it right when Mummy went forward. We also tried something new today. In the last quarter Everitt was acting as a leading Full Forward and Reid taking the long bomb. This gave us two different approaches to goal and then some as the flankers also got involved. I think that a better way to go as the other sides will start to think twice about double teaming Reid when the second man's opponent is kicking goals.

Everitt unfortunately dropped a few marks he should have taken. If he had have taken all six he could have had some very impressive figures.

The mids are superb Joey, Birdie (a bit worried about some of his kicking to the forwards in the last), Jack (was super), Mummy & LRT (I still don't like him in the ruck & thought the forward experiment a failure).

We had a heck of a lot of the ball and so many scoring shots we should have creamed them. Some of the kick outs were god awful! Thought the ground play good while not being anything to write home about. Quite sloppy in delivery at times. Macca really fumbled a lot today and his normal prefect delivery was not there, I think he just had an off day. Thank Homer he had it today!
We need to step it up next week, so boys think about it and go out there and put on a show next week.

ShockOfHair
17th March 2012, 10:32 PM
Butchered ball, erratic forward entries. I feel a movie coming on starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell.

Wolfie, Ross Gibbs is Bryce's dad. Lance was the West Indies offspinner. (Blame it on the long commute!)

wolftone57
17th March 2012, 10:48 PM
Butchered ball, erratic forward entries. I feel a movie coming on starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell.

Wolfie, Ross Gibbs is Bryce's dad. Lance was the West Indies offspinner. (Blame it on the long commute!)

Sorry that's right was looking at something about Lance the other day and it stuck. I watched Ross play a lot of footy for the Bays and he did invent the attacking back pocket.

wolftone57
17th March 2012, 10:55 PM
I watched the Crows v Eagles and the footy was pretty good. Fine weather though with no wetness on the ground. The ground today was very wet around the edges but not particularly muddy. More slippery than a quagmire but the players from both sides handled it quite well. Back to the NAB GF I thought the Crows looked really good and will trouble a lot of sides this year. They have the spine and their mids were on fire tonight and Douglas didn't play. The Eagles were not bad but couldn't out run and out mark the Crows. Walker and Tippett were very good and when we play them we are also going to have to watch Jacobs as he tends to drift down and take a forward mark. I think we could have a bit on the Eagles at this time but then again they did have a few out.

mcs
17th March 2012, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't be too worried. The Giants have been put in their place by Richmond, who flogged them by about 12 goals.

I went to the Giants v Richmond game today, and I think the Giants look a long way behind where the suns were at the same time of the year last year. They tried to play the physical game against Richmond, but just showed

Oh and Israel Folau looks absolutely lost. No idea when to lead or anything... the only memorable thing he did was get reported for a silly tackle he made. Zero impact at all, and looks a long way from being even close to an AFL standard player. I'd be disappointed, even with the injuries we have if we don't beat them by 15+ goals next week - they look young, inexperienced and well out of their depth, and that was against a very scrappy and ordinary looking Richmond side (Who look no better than last season tbh.)

Primmy
18th March 2012, 08:50 AM
Yes Jed Lamb...first PLAYER to wear the number 11 since Maxfield! :)Meow

goswannie14
18th March 2012, 09:37 AM
Sorry that's right was looking at something about Lance the other day and it stuck. I watched Ross play a lot of footy for the Bays and he did invent the attacking back pocket.When was that? Because I remember attacking back pocket players in the 70's down at the Lake Oval in Albert Park.

Hartijon
18th March 2012, 09:49 AM
When was that? Because I remember attacking back pocket players in the 70's down at the Lake Oval in Albert Park.
I remember a bloke called Brenton Adcock in the 60's playing for Sturt in the BP who was and attacking BP.

giant
18th March 2012, 01:34 PM

Ain't that the truth? For all the positives of the pre-season, it doesn't feel like we've really addressed all the stuff that stopped us from being a top four side last year.

royboy42
19th March 2012, 09:12 AM
I remember a bloke called Brenton Adcock in the 60's playing for Sturt in the BP who was and attacking BP.
A fella called Bill Stephens attacked from the back pocket for the Roys in the 50s too.

wolftone57
19th March 2012, 11:39 AM

Saw Brenton Adcock play a lot he was attacking to a certain degree but he was not a goal kicking BP. Ross Gibbs took Attacking BP to a new degree. He kicked 111 goals from the back pocket which at the time was unheard of in Aussie Rules. He eventually went to play Full Forward for Victor Harbour in the Great Southern League. In four seasons he kicked 155, 168, 135, 118 and 99. He kicked 30 goals in a match twice against Port Elliot. The guy was a freak and definitely not like Adcock at all, he took attacking BP to a totally new level.