PDA

View Full Version : Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Pages : [1] 2

Beaussie
14th March 2012, 08:56 AM
Comon Swans fans, what's doing?

KEVIN Sheedy's sales pitch looks to have worked with early projections indicating Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans at the season opener at ANZ Stadium later this month.

Of the 21,000 tickets sold, 58 per cent have indicated they'll be supporting the AFL's newest team, while 42 per cent will be Swans fans making the trek west.

The fixture is a Giants home game but the numbers are remarkable considering the Swans are celebrating 30 years in Sydney this year and the Giants are yet to play their first genuine fixture.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/gws-giants-set-to-enjoy-solid-support-at-season-opener-against-the-swans/story-e6frexwr-1226298657626

Mrs Shaw
14th March 2012, 09:22 AM
I agree, what in earth is going in?

We have 22,000 signed members and 78,000+ members in the Swans Facebook page.

Why aren't people going?

Whether its an away game or not, Giants game or not people should open their wallets and buy a ticket to the game.

It's now more than ever the team needs our support with the new Western Sydney Franchise taking members away from us, and the SCG redevelopment making membership seating a nightmare.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0vcjmg

Cheer Squad
14th March 2012, 09:24 AM
Well, if it's true, it's hardly a surprise, is it?

Considering the amount of whingeing that goes on about playing at Homebush, you could hardly expect that element in our Sydney membership to attend when it's not even a home game.

If we're involved, so what? Who cares? If it's not at our preferred venue, we just aren't going.

Sometimes I wonder what our supporters in the rest of Australia must think of our Sydney members.

stellation
14th March 2012, 09:26 AM
Are you based in Sydney, CS?

CommercialRd
14th March 2012, 09:39 AM
Why Swans fans wouldn't be jumping at the chance to see the Swans in a 12th game in Sydney is beyond me.

stellation
14th March 2012, 09:50 AM
Keep in mind that it's a GWS home game, the article says they have 7k members and there are 21k tickets sold; if we assume that each GWS member counts as a ticket then we are down to 14k tickets sold. If people identifying as Swans fans have 48% of tickets then they have a shade under 9k of those sold and GWS have a bit over 5k of those sold. They pointed out that based on those ticket sales so far they expect >40k, if that 9:5 ratio of non-members tickets sold is maintained then it'd come close to even numbers.

Presumably GWS will be giving out a few freebies/offer a few discount codes for members to give their friends etc. that will all count as GWS nominated fans regardless of who those folks support.

ugg
14th March 2012, 10:05 AM
A few scenarios:

1. Swans members that are also GWS members, and since this a GWS home game they would be counted as GWS fans for ticketing purposes. Probably not too many in this boat.
2. Swans members do not realise they do not have allocated tickets for this match and haven't bought their tickets yet. The club has been active in relaying this message yet I still meet a lot of Swans members who have assumed otherwise.
3. Swans fans wishing to seat in GWS allocated zones to 'spice things up'.
4. When buying tickets through Ticketek, the operator hasn't asked the buyer which area they want to sit in and it's allocated GWS by default.

Red
14th March 2012, 10:26 AM
A few scenarios:

1. Swans members that are also GWS members, and since this a GWS home game they would be counted as GWS fans for ticketing purposes. Probably not too many in this boat.
2. Swans members do not realise they do not have allocated tickets for this match and haven't bought their tickets yet. The club has been active in relaying this message yet I still meet a lot of Swans members who have assumed otherwise.
4. When buying tickets through Ticketek, the operator hasn't asked the buyer which area they want to sit in and it's allocated GWS by default.
Another couple:
1. Flexible interpretation of the word 'sold' - a lot of the Giants 'fans' were given tickets to bolster numbers.
2. GWS is Sydney's shiny new toy. A clearer picture of respective supporter bases will be evident after this year.

Mrs Shaw
14th March 2012, 10:41 AM
GWS have 12,000 members

stellation
14th March 2012, 10:47 AM
GWS have 12,000 members
12k foundation members for 2011, 7k actual members following through into 2012. 7k is actually a pretty good number I think, a lot of folks I spoke to thought they'd struggle to get a quarter of their foundation members following through with actual memberships.

14th March 2012, 10:52 AM
I travelling all the way from Adelaide just for this game. I find it hard to fathom how a genuine Swans supporter who lives in Sydney, even if they don't like the venue, wouldn't go just to show GWS that they will not get the jump on us in any way regardless of how much AFL money they have to throw around.

I've got no doubt that a lot of "sold" tickets are freebies from GWS.

Come on, get there and show support for your team. Refer to Adam Goodes speech, no passengers!

satchmopugdog
14th March 2012, 10:56 AM

Sometimes I wonder what our supporters in the rest of Australia must think of our Sydney members.

I think the hard core members are fantastic and I think anyone who drives anywhere in Sydney needs a medal. Getting around in big cities is so draining I admire anyone who gets to a game. It is much easier for me to fly from Devonport to Melbourne catch the sky bus to Etihad stadium than it is for you lot to get to Homebush etc.

So looking forward to driving to Launceston to see us play against Hawthorn. That piece of highway is a breeze.

jono2707
14th March 2012, 11:18 AM
I travelling all the way from Adelaide just for this game. I find it hard to fathom how a genuine Swans supporter who lives in Sydney, even if they don't like the venue, wouldn't go just to show GWS that they will not get the jump on us in any way regardless of how much AFL money they have to throw around.

Come on, get there and show support for your team. Refer to Adam Goodes speech, no passengers!

You're preaching to the choir here - it's the 99% of Swans fans that aren't on RWO that the message needs to get through to.

Or maybe Sydney just isn't that into AFL?

msb
14th March 2012, 11:45 AM
Geez id be there with bells on if I could, no matter the venue. I think the above post has nailed it, sydney just arent that into afl. If a new side was playing its first game in melbourne you would get a huge crowd.

Pommie Swannie
14th March 2012, 12:03 PM
Only bought tickets today as were waiting for confirmation of a couple of newbies that are being dragged along!
If the game gets a crowd of 50k, I think that will be a good result to be honest. And as for which side has the most fans on the night, I'll ignore the 'statistics' and judge it on the night!

Industrial Fan
14th March 2012, 12:12 PM
We're still waiting for a proper discount offer or promotion.

Half expecting the telegraph to include some promo as the game nears. no chance it will sell out so we'll get tickets whether we buy them now or on the night.

I still think this should have been an option to include in our membership.

jono2707
14th March 2012, 12:16 PM
Agreed - why there isn't an option to add this match on to our membership (and likewise for GWS fans for the return bout) is puzzling. Hopefully that will be addressed next year.

Primmy
14th March 2012, 12:52 PM
I was horrified to find that my Swans friends who are also foundation members of the GWS are going in orange colours.....I told them they were awful, they said it was an historic event, and I said they were still awful. I couldn't say too much else because I am hoping to get a couple of freebies to GWS games when swans play away.....but still.....:frown

Jewels
14th March 2012, 12:57 PM
Agreed - why there isn't an option to add this match on to our membership (and likewise for GWS fans for the return bout) is puzzling. Hopefully that will be addressed next year.

I don't believe any teams has seating at their opposition state teams home game included in their membership.
I know definately that Lions members don't have Suns games in their membership and I have a Port member friend who is pretty positive Crows games are not available in any of their member packages.
I really don't see why it would or should be included, though if it were an option in my membership I would take it.

Cheer Squad
14th March 2012, 01:09 PM
Are you based in Sydney, CS?

Yes.

jono2707
14th March 2012, 01:14 PM
Interesting - I sit in a group of about 11. I have emailed them this morning to work out who is going to the GWS game and who is buying tickets etc. I have had responses covering 7 of the 9 possible attendees and so far none are going. So its just me plus 1 and possibly 2 others out of the 11 regular members. The responses I go included "Ah count me out. I hate going to homebush" and "No thanks?Ewwww" and "we've got something else on". I understand that most of my group isn't into it perhaps as much as me but I have had the round 1 date circled on the calendar and am quite excited about it. Obviously that excitement is not shared by a number of Swans members.....

Cheer Squad
14th March 2012, 01:18 PM
I think the hard core members are fantastic and I think anyone who drives anywhere in Sydney needs a medal. Getting around in big cities is so draining I admire anyone who gets to a game. It is much easier for me to fly from Devonport to Melbourne catch the sky bus to Etihad stadium than it is for you lot to get to Homebush etc.

We may deserve medals for driving on the roads, but Homebush is serviced by it's own train station, so there really is no need for most people to battle the traffic. If you drive, it's much harder getting in and out of the Moore Park precinct than taking a train to Olympic Park.

Cheer Squad
14th March 2012, 01:19 PM
I was horrified to find that my Swans friends who are also foundation members of the GWS are going in orange colours.....I told them they were awful, they said it was an historic event, and I said they were still awful. I couldn't say too much else because I am hoping to get a couple of freebies to GWS games when swans play away.....but still.....:frown

If they're going in GWS colours, that's who they'll be supporting.

Danzar
14th March 2012, 01:36 PM
A few things from me.

I am definitely one of the Swans members that assumed the game was part of my membership! Hey, I've been busy. Either way, wouldn't this simply mean that those who do turn up thinking the same will become one of the 'buy on the day' crowd?

I'm pretty sure the 21,000 does not include GWS memberships, just tickets sold/paid for.

Putting aside whether you think the ground is worse, I still don't get why members hate Homebush so much that they wouldn't turn up to a home game there. It has it faults, yes, but just turn up and support your team. I live in Bondi and the argument that it's too far is just a crock. Trains run consistently and constantly and they're fast. If you live north, it's just as quick as going to the SCG (quicker if you live right up through to the Central Coast) because you can jump off at Strathfield and get an express. West, well, it's definitely closer. South - granted, it's a bit further and east, absolutely further but who gives a @@@@ - it's 2-3 trips a season. And have you tried driving to a packed SCG game?

We're lucky to even have such a game. Imagine living in Bhutan. Beautiful, yes. Peaceful, yes. But their national sport is Archery. Jeebus, once I got my dose of culture watching a game, excitement quickly wore off into confusion, followed by distraction and then ultimately an intense desire to grab one of those arrows sticking out of the grass and stick it in my eye. [Apologies to anyone who likes or participates in archery]

See you all on the 24th! I'll be wearing a red and white scarf. Go Swans!

erica
14th March 2012, 02:08 PM
Where did they get these statistics? No one asked me which team I am supporting when I bought my tickets.

Peace
14th March 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm a swans member but only realised last week this is a GWS home game.... So I'm probably just going to buy tickets when i get there. But considering the crowd expectation, i should probably buy some bronze tickets before they sell out! Will be a few of us going to support the bloods.

I'm not worried about these initial figures.

CJK
14th March 2012, 02:10 PM
I'm not bothered.

It's our last pre-season game so means very little. Nice that it's on TV though, will DVR and watch when back that night.

Mrs Shaw
14th March 2012, 02:31 PM

I'm with you 707 I don't see why people would choose NOT to support their own team. So they have to travel from the Eastern Suburbs, big deal. They should stop being so lazy.

Mrs Shaw
14th March 2012, 02:32 PM
Why Swans fans wouldn't be jumping at the chance to see the Swans in a 12th game in Sydney is beyond me.

Ditto

Primmy
14th March 2012, 02:39 PM
Being a one team town in the past, we have been spoiled. Everyone else in AFL in Australia has to pay for their "away" game ticket, so why on earth wouldn't we? Are we all that special? For those of you who have not gone to Manuka for a Swans away game, guess what! We have to buy out tickets down there too! Surprise Surprise Surprise!

For heavens sake, GWS HOME GAME, means that GWS MEMBERS get their allocated seats, and the AWAY TEAM (THAT'S US) have to purchase theirs in advance or on the day. We are the visitors. New thought process I agree, but not unusual......sheesh. mutter mutter mutter.

First game of the season, Round One, Red and White at the ready.

Untamed Snark
14th March 2012, 02:39 PM

12th game and chance to outshine, outclass and outnumber the upstarts

Danzar
14th March 2012, 02:51 PM
Maybe the reason why they aren't selling tickets is because that ticketek site is jammed up from god knows what: Object moved (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=GIANTS0112)

Did the link work for you? I've been trying for a couple of hours and nada!

It came straight off the Swans site: http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/ticketing%20information/tabid/17236/default.aspx

R-1
14th March 2012, 03:02 PM
I don't believe any teams has seating at their opposition state teams home game included in their membership.
I know definately that Lions members don't have Suns games in their membership and I have a Port member friend who is pretty positive Crows games are not available in any of their member packages.
I really don't see why it would or should be included, though if it were an option in my membership I would take it.

Hawks have a package with compensation entry to replacement away MCG games in lieu of the four home games in Launceston. Different situation though.

jono2707
14th March 2012, 03:27 PM
The marketing of the second AFL team in this somewhat unique market would be boosted by giving the fans of both teams the option of purchasing a ticket to the away 'derby' game when the membership packages are being sold. I would think a lot of people would have been happy to tick a box to purchase the additional seat when renewing or joining memberships.

Also there is a common misconception on this site that all Swans members are fans - it is patently not the case. People have various motivations to attend Swans games...

Pommie Swannie
14th March 2012, 03:30 PM
The marketing of the second AFL team in this somewhat unique market would be boosted by giving the fans of both teams the option of purchasing a ticket to the away 'derby' game when the membership packages are being sold. I would think a lot of people would have been happy to tick a box to purchase the additional seat when renewing or joining memberships.

Also there is a common misconception on this site that all Swans members are fans - it is patently not the case. People have various motivations to attend Swans games...

That's a fair point. I know a couple of members who are Melburnian ex-pats and not Swans 'fans' - they just love their live footy. I know one who has jumped ship to a GWS membership purely because it is much more convenient to attend games out west.

Mr Magoo
14th March 2012, 04:30 PM
The colours in the crowd on the night will be the real indicator. Irrespective of how you got your ticket , if you wear red and white its clear who your support.

wolftone57
14th March 2012, 05:00 PM
Where did they get these statistics? No one asked me which team I am supporting when I bought my tickets.

Hi Erica on the Swans Website it has a Member code you can quote to get the Swans Member Discount. Even though it is not a Swans Home Game we can be allocated into areas appropriate to our team.

wolftone57
14th March 2012, 05:02 PM
I am buying my tickets tomorrow as I am waiting for some people to get back with their availability.

wolftone57
14th March 2012, 05:07 PM
Just got confirmation My lot are three.

iigrover
14th March 2012, 05:08 PM

Maybe Im mistaken, but I thought a couple of years back when the Roos played a 'home' game in Sydney, you could add the extra game to your season ticket??

With respect to Crows/Port, I believe the Crows seats at Footy Park (showing my age here) are fully allocated to their members (save for a couple of thousand pere-allocated away seats) , so they could never be able to offer Port supporters an extra game on their membership. I dont know whether this is also the case for the Lions / Suns??

However, Im willing to bet my house that if you add up all the Swans members and all of the GWS memebrs this still would be less than the capacity of Homebush. So its entirely feasable to add an extra 'away' game to each clubs membership. The only caviet would be that you wouldnt get your normal seat in the 'away' game.

Seems to me to be a huge opportunity lost....AFL Marketing Fail.

Melbourne_Blood
14th March 2012, 05:31 PM
If you dont have to fly, and your not busy, then you really shouldnt have an excuse for not going. I have a friends 21st birthday party, but if not, i would be seriously considering flying up. Its an historic night, its the first " real " AFL game of the year,and its the innaugural Harbour/Eastern Derby ( not sure what the official term is yet, as long as its not Skermish, Stoush or anything else wanky like that). Surely though non members would just buy their tickets at the gate or the day or two before, so i think it might be a little early too say its going to be a sea of orange, black and white ( a nauseating thought)

jono2707
14th March 2012, 05:42 PM
Surely though non members would just buy their tickets at the gate or the day or two before, so i think it might be a little early too say its going to be a sea of orange, black and white ( a nauseating thought)

If there are enough GWS supporters at this stage of their life to create anything resembling a sea I will be extremely surprised. I'm sure there will be a small number of noisy GWSers, a larger number of hopefully noisier Swans, and a yet-to-be-determined number of 'others' who will come along for a look. It's these 'others' that the AFL will want to see attend in numbers to attract to future games.

sfan
14th March 2012, 08:02 PM
media beat up. I got 19 tickets for a work group and was not asked which team I supported.

magic.merkin
14th March 2012, 08:20 PM
I'd be near disgusted with any swans "supporter" or member that had nothing preventing them from being there other than their own choice, and they didn't attend.

It could be years before we open the season again, and most likely several decades until we have another team joining the comp in Sydney. It's a historic moment in Sydney's (the city) and the AFL's history. dawn of a new era and rivalry.

Support the boys, the club and the AFL and turn up loud and in numbers.

annew
14th March 2012, 08:28 PM
I will be going naturally but haven't bothered to buy a ticket as yet because I intend to buy it on the night at the stadium after all it's not as if the game will be sold out.

conradhc
14th March 2012, 09:45 PM
We've bought our tickets, and I can't remember whether or not we identified as Swans fans when we bought them. Who knows who we'll be sitting near!

We're not particularly keen on Homebush, but we only have two home games this year. This is an away round 1 match but relatively accessible, it's the opening match of the season and it's going to be the subject of attention because of being GWS's proper entry into the league.

Under those circumstances I really can't imagine not going. That means driving three hours to our usual hotel in Surry Hills before getting the train out to the match.

So looking forward to it!

mcs
14th March 2012, 09:59 PM
Yep I can't wait for us to bash the guaranteed wooden spooners, but I don't buy this media beat up about swans vs gws fans. I dislike homebush, but there is no way I wouldn't be going unless there was a very good reason not to go. I'm looking forward to it - no matter whether we have more fans there than gws or not.

sfan
14th March 2012, 10:07 PM
I will be going naturally but haven't bothered to buy a ticket as yet because I intend to buy it on the night at the stadium after all it's not as if the game will be sold out. buy the ticket in advance and you get free public trasnport.

Matt79
14th March 2012, 10:15 PM
I'd be near disgusted with any swans "supporter" or member that had nothing preventing them from being there other than their own choice, and they didn't attend.

It could be years before we open the season again, and most likely several decades until we have another team joining the comp in Sydney. It's a historic moment in Sydney's (the city) and the AFL's history. dawn of a new era and rivalry.

Support the boys, the club and the AFL and turn up loud and in numbers.

Very well said...totally agree!

Cheer Squad
14th March 2012, 10:37 PM
A few scenarios:

Another couple:
1. Flexible interpretation of the word 'sold' - a lot of the Giants 'fans' were given tickets to bolster numbers.
2. GWS is Sydney's shiny new toy. A clearer picture of respective supporter bases will be evident after this year.

Here's another scenario.

The SCG lobby have been on the club's case for years to abandon Homebush as a venue.

They began seriously boycotting the venue in 2008, decimating attendances and gate takings at our matches, and undermining the "blockbuster" strategy, including at finals. Never mind that large match attendances are a symbol of pride for just about every other club.

Then, in 2009, they succeeded in forcing the club to introduce "SCG only" memberships, further undermining the club's finances.

This season, they've succeeded in getting the club to drop a home game at Homebush, restore it to the SCG, and in the process, abandon our support base in Canberra via the annual Manuka Oval match.

It's bloody-minded stuff, but it's been effective.

Now, they have their sights on the Giants and the AFL itself.

The same logic applies - don't attend, regardless of whether the Swans are playing, because turning up in large numbers will only encourage the club and the AFL to keep scheduling matches there. And who wants to support the Giants via gate takings anyway?

So if we are outnumbered on the night, we won't have to look very far to find a reason.

R-1
15th March 2012, 12:11 AM
Maybe Im mistaken, but I thought a couple of years back when the Roos played a 'home' game in Sydney, you could add the extra game to your season ticket??

With respect to Crows/Port, I believe the Crows seats at Footy Park (showing my age here) are fully allocated to their members (save for a couple of thousand pere-allocated away seats) , so they could never be able to offer Port supporters an extra game on their membership. I dont know whether this is also the case for the Lions / Suns??

However, Im willing to bet my house that if you add up all the Swans members and all of the GWS memebrs this still would be less than the capacity of Homebush. So its entirely feasable to add an extra 'away' game to each clubs membership. The only caviet would be that you wouldnt get your normal seat in the 'away' game.

Seems to me to be a huge opportunity lost....AFL Marketing Fail.

Yep. There's serious capacity issues with Adelaide and Perth. Subiaco's constraints are well known, but remember also that Port even last year had 35000+ members and the Crows are usually around 45000+, you simply couldn't fit them all into 50000 capacity Footy Park even if the fans are staying away in droves right now.

The prohibitve issue with Queensland is probably also capacity, at Metricon Stadium. Sure, you could fit as many Suns fans as wanted to attend into the 40 000 person Gabba under a cross-ticketing arrangement, but the same just isn't true of the return game at the 25 000 capacity Metricon. Brisbane even last year had 20000 and Gold Coast are pushing 15000.

Among interstate clubs, ANZ offers a fairly unique situation in that you could fit both memberships comfortably into the ground (even assuming we ever hit 45000 and the Gaints 25000, a pipe dream currently, we'll all still fit) and both teams are playing at home in the same venue.

magic.merkin
15th March 2012, 01:42 AM

The same logic applies - don't attend, regardless of whether the Swans are playing, because turning up in large numbers will only encourage the club and the AFL to keep scheduling matches there. And who wants to support the Giants via gate takings anyway?

So if we are outnumbered on the night, we won't have to look very far to find a reason.

And that will all help immensely with us gaining respect off the football public, when the season opens to 20,000 instead of the usual 60,000. Sure no one is expecting those numbers, but people will expect us to dwarf the GWS crew and have 30,000 plus. Anything less and we will be considered the usual, soft, non died in the wool, fair weather supporters. "Couldn't or wouldn't even turn up to a show-piece game"...

jono2707
15th March 2012, 08:05 AM
And that will all help immensely with us gaining respect off the football public, when the season opens to 20,000 instead of the usual 60,000. Sure no one is expecting those numbers, but people will expect us to dwarf the GWS crew and have 30,000 plus. Anything less and we will be considered the usual, soft, non died in the wool, fair weather supporters. "Couldn't or wouldn't even turn up to a show-piece game"...

And there you have the issue with having two AFL teams in Sydney. There is a likelihood that there will not be sufficient, strong support for two teams to make it viable. Like it or not but a very large number (I'm not willing to say majority) of Swans supporters are not 'dyed in the wool'. Many people go to the footy as its a nice day or night out, where you can socialise in the pleasant surrounds of the SCG, without a lot of the 'common' hoo-haa that goes on at a local NRL game. AFL is seen by many in Sydney as a more 'pleasant' and less thuggish alternative to NRL, with a broader appeal than rugby or soccer. The reality is that plenty of people who identify with the Swans aren't particularly fussed to go to all the games or even watch them on TV.

This isn't Melbourne - this is Sydney. Whether or not Sydney people are or aren't good fans is a moot point - the fact is the Swans have occupied a small niche in a crowded market where there are plenty of other alternatives for the entertainment dollar....

magic.merkin
15th March 2012, 09:17 AM
This isn't Melbourne - this is Sydney. Whether or not Sydney people are or aren't good fans is a moot point - the fact is the Swans have occupied a small niche in a crowded market where there are plenty of other alternatives for the entertainment dollar....

yes and no, the point exists, as I was suggesting supporters from WA, SA and VIC think we are a bit of a joke supporter base wise. And in regards to a crowded market, I don't buy it. Melbourne has less people and more events and bigger supporter numbers generally. As you alluded to it comes down to the people, and we have returned to my original point that opposition supporters mock us.

And in case anyone gets wound up, im not victorian and this isn't a state war or, souths vs sydney.

Just get along to the games that you are spoilt to have every second week you muppets :)

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 09:25 AM
Another level was supposed to be added to Footy Park ten years after the first development, making the capacity 80,000. The final number was supposed to be between 90,000 and 100,000 depending on progress. The stadium is structured so it can be built onto and extended. There was some extension but it didn't extend the capacity as it was only corporate boxes.

Etihad is the biggest disappointment so far due to surface problems, capacity problems and bad design of the base. More work on the 'G' didn't do much to extend capacity as most was the same as Footy Park, Corporate.

The SCG keeps expanding but unfortunately they can't expand the surface. Homebush is a great capacity but has surface issues but there is no reason for our fans not to go there. Last year on RWO I read a lot of people not wanting to go there and saying that they won't go to games there. I think that is absurd! In Adelaide I used to head off to a ground we all hated to watch my beloved 'Bays' beat the hated North. Prospect Oval is shaped like an egg, the goals do not face each other. It is twice the length one side of the centre than the other. It is twice the width in at the short end. There is a huge advantage for North playing there. But I still went there and it did have it's advantages, the 'Ladies Auxiliary' made the best Hotdogs in Adelaide. fresh crispy rolls and butcher bought hotties, just delish.

Where we play is not important but how many support us is very important so you lot trying to get rid of Homebush games 'GET OVER IT', where the hell else are we going to play the pies?

Ruck'n'Roll
15th March 2012, 10:22 AM
I understand that Homebush isn't everyones favourite ground for a number of reasons. And while my little group will be attending, that says a lot more about fan dedication that the attractiveness of Olympic park.
I have come to the conclusion that Homebush may in fact impede the proliferation of the game in Sydney. While getting more people to the game is the most imortant way to sell the game. Basically the place does not rock. Games there lack the sheer passion and vibrant sublimation of the individual, and it's this which converts attendees into fans.
Why this is the case I'm not sure, we've all been to some very well attended games there but the place seems to suck rather than add energy to the crowd. The experience there is so much more like Waverly than the MCG (and I'm not sure it has as great a capacity as either did).
In any case I hope the ground is packed and the home and away record mentioned is broken. I'd like to feel the proof that Homebush isn't an irredeambable dog, because I want other people to become hooked on the tranformative experience that is being part of an AFL crowd.

aardvark
15th March 2012, 10:29 AM
The SCG keeps expanding but unfortunately they can't expand the surface. where the hell else are we going to play the pies?

Actually Wolfie in the latest redevelopment the length of the ground will be increased by 3 metres. Beating the pies in a redeveloped jam packed SCG sounds very appealing to me. Almost as good as a premiership IMO.:smile:

R-1
15th March 2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah the problem with ANZ is it needs 60k+ to have atmosphere.

Swansongster
15th March 2012, 12:47 PM
I'll be buying tickets for four Swans fans when I arrive in town next Friday. Much less drama getting to Homebush than the SCG from Chatswood (and free). I enjoy going there although I agree that you need about 40,000 (not 60) to get a good atmoshere. I suspect we will outnumber Giants for colour and noise easily for tw reasons - accumulated merchandise over the years and we should be winning by 15-20 goals.

Cheer Squad
15th March 2012, 12:59 PM
I have come to the conclusion that Homebush may in fact impede the proliferation of the game in Sydney...Basically the place does not rock. Games there lack the sheer passion and vibrant sublimation of the individual, and it's this which converts attendees into fans...Why this is the case I'm not sure, we've all been to some very well attended games there but the place seems to suck rather than add energy to the crowd...In any case I hope the ground is packed and the home and away record mentioned is broken. I'd like to feel the proof that Homebush isn't an irredeambable dog, because I want other people to become hooked on the tranformative experience that is being part of an AFL crowd.

Yeah the problem with ANZ is it needs 60k+ to have atmosphere.

You guys must not have attended the final against Carlton at Homebush a couple of years ago. We got a crowd of just over 40,000 there and it was the best atmosphere game in Sydney for years.

CJK
15th March 2012, 01:40 PM
The SCG lobby have been on the club's case for years to abandon Homebush as a venue.

They began seriously boycotting the venue in 2008, decimating attendances and gate takings at our matches, and undermining the "blockbuster" strategy, including at finals.

The SCG lobby are the new Illuminati apparently.

aardvark
15th March 2012, 01:52 PM
The SCG lobby are the new Illuminati apparently.

I thought the SCG Lobby was that little room downstairs where you check in your coat and wash your hands.......shows how out of touch I am.:hmmmm2:...i'm glad it has lights too.....

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 03:48 PM
CJK & Aardvark are you going to the match? I just purchased three tickets from that gawd awful sight Tuckertuk. What a mind game that is. Has to be Packer Corp! Wel got them anyway and am going to the match. We are taking a Scot along with us and it will be his first match. So let's initiate him well and have a nice win. He has only been in Australia since the 27th February so I think it is pretty good of him to risk an Aussie Rules game after such a short time.

aardvark
15th March 2012, 04:45 PM
CJK & Aardvark are you going to the match?

Unfortunately its 993 km from home to homebush, and I have to work too, but i'll be with you in spirit Wolfie. Hope its a great day and a big win for the boys.

DLBIA14
15th March 2012, 04:49 PM
CJK & Aardvark are you going to the match? I just purchased three tickets from that gawd awful sight Tuckertuk. What a mind game that is. Has to be Packer Corp! Wel got them anyway and am going to the match. We are taking a Scot along with us and it will be his first match. So let's initiate him well and have a nice win. He has only been in Australia since the 27th February so I think it is pretty good of him to risk an Aussie Rules game after such a short time.

Any chance of a PAX number to scope ticket sales?

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately its 993 km from home to homebush, and I have to work too, but i'll be with you in spirit Wolfie. Hope its a great day and a big win for the boys.

Are you in Melb?

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 05:02 PM
Any chance of a PAX number to scope ticket sales?

I bought my tickets under the SWANS2012 which the club said to use when purchasing tickets. So all my three are under the Swans Fans numbers.

aardvark
15th March 2012, 05:22 PM
Are you in Melb?

Phillip Island

CJK
15th March 2012, 07:17 PM
CJK & Aardvark are you going to the match?

Most likely not.

BOOM!

Cardinal
15th March 2012, 09:10 PM

If I supported a team in Adelaide and I had to watch 2 or 3 games at AAMI rather than a revamped Adelaide Oval I would be upset.

goswannie14
15th March 2012, 10:06 PM
If I supported a team in Adelaide and I had to watch 2 or 3 games at AAMI rather than a revamped Adelaide Oval I would be upset.That's not a fair comparison with the Sydney situation because the public transport to the SCG and football park are about the same, whereas the other two have public transport almost to the door.

As I have said many times I have no affiliation to either ground in Sydney, but I much prefer Homebush because as a tourist up there it is so much easier to get to.

15th March 2012, 10:24 PM
If I supported a team in Adelaide and I had to watch 2 or 3 games at AAMI rather than a revamped Adelaide Oval I would be upset.

I hate going to AAMI/Footy Park, it's so out of the way easiest to get to by car but a nightmare to get away from after the match. Bring on Adelaide Oval ASAP. In the city and central to all types of public transport.

Don't like the atmosphere at AAMI either although I've seen some memorable Swans wins there, the pinnacle is the 2003 final win against Poor Power, absolute bliss with only half a side available. The move to Adelaide Oval is a decade overdue.

wolftone57
15th March 2012, 10:46 PM

Why? I like Footy Park it is the best surface to play and one of the best places to watch footy. Adelaide Oval doesn't compare. Even if they renovated Adelaide Oval they couldn't bring it up to the standard of Footy Park. For a start it has a cricket pitch which last time I looked was not removable and it rains in Adelaide in winter. The Adelaide Oval is a mud pot in the wet weather. The facilities are not nearly as good there either as they are limited by Heritage buildings.

Adelaide Oval is easy to get to but not as good for watching footy. I was at the 1973 GF and we were packed in like sardines and the crowd was 56,525. That was with mainly standing room and it would not be allowed under safety laws today. Adelaide Oval is now to be developed to hold 50,000 people.

The other difference is Adelaide Oval is leased to the South Australian Cricket Association in perpetuity by the State Government. This means that all other codes that use the Adelaide Oval do so at the behest of the SACA. The SACA held the SANFL to ransom for a century until the SANFL built Footy Park. Footy Park is owned by footy, designed for footy and a great place to play and watch footy.

Adelaide Oval is great for Cricket and the SACA will milk the AFL like a cash cow as soon as Port are locked in. The next contract will include a large increase in charges for use of the ground, that is the way the SACA work.

R-1
15th March 2012, 11:53 PM
The SANFL already milk Port and the Crows pretty hard, the SACA can't do any worse.

Adelaide Swan
16th March 2012, 08:03 AM
I was absolutely stunned when I heard this news.

Come on, we have nearly 30,000 members for goodness sake.

For those who are reluctant to travel to Homebush, get out there and support the Sydney's team, the Mighty Swannies.

Cheer Cheer!

Jenny
16th March 2012, 04:45 PM
Hi All,

We've just received confirmation that Swans Members will have access to our normal Member's Bar opposite Aisle 126 at ANZ Stadium for this match.
We'll also have member redemptions on the night if you are yet to pick up your cap and other items. Exact locations will be confirmed in next week's eNews.

Hope you're all got your tickets! Remember - your Sydney Swans membership does not give you access to this game.

See you all there!

Jenny

Wazza
16th March 2012, 09:54 PM
Have my tickets in section 124 this is close to my normal seating and a great spot as the seats are angled and you get a lot more room.
Anyone from RWO see's me on the day I would luv to say hello I'll have the red and white cap on, ...RWO meetup at members bar??

Cheers

waz

mcs
17th March 2012, 02:26 AM
Here's another scenario.

They began seriously boycotting the venue in 2008, decimating attendances and gate takings at our matches, and undermining the "blockbuster" strategy, including at finals. Never mind that large match attendances are a symbol of pride for just about every other club.

Then, in 2009, they succeeded in forcing the club to introduce "SCG only" memberships, further undermining the club's finances.

This season, they've succeeded in getting the club to drop a home game at Homebush, restore it to the SCG, and in the process, abandon our support base in Canberra via the annual Manuka Oval match.

The Manuka match has nothing to do with this argument at all. The Manuka game was never a Swans home game - over the years its been Dees, Rooboys and Dogs home games. The swans aren't playing down here due to the multi million dollar a year contract between the AFL and the ACT Government, which has the giants playing 4 games (3 normal season plus a silly practice game) down here a year. Obviously, they aren't going to be playing Sydney down here, when that is the only home game in years going forward that should be able to draw a good crowd in Sydney.

Cheer Squad
17th March 2012, 07:49 AM
The Manuka match has nothing to do with this argument at all. The Manuka game was never a Swans home game - over the years its been Dees, Rooboys and Dogs home games. The swans aren't playing down here due to the multi million dollar a year contract between the AFL and the ACT Government, which has the giants playing 4 games (3 normal season plus a silly practice game) down here a year. Obviously, they aren't going to be playing Sydney down here, when that is the only home game in years going forward that should be able to draw a good crowd in Sydney.

You're quite wrong.

Whatever the arrangements between the AFL, the ACT Government, and the Giants, there was nothing to stop us requesting that an "away" game be scheduled at Manuka Oval.

All the club has done is sacrifice the annual Manuka Oval match in favour of playing an "away" game against the Giants at Homebush. That allowed the club to meet the contractual requirement to play 3 matches at Homebush, but still appease the SCG lobby by giving them an extra home game.

mcs
17th March 2012, 03:13 PM
You're quite wrong.

Whatever the arrangements between the AFL, the ACT Government, and the Giants, there was nothing to stop us requesting that an "away" game be scheduled at Manuka Oval.

All the club has done is sacrifice the annual Manuka Oval match in favour of playing an "away" game against the Giants at Homebush. That allowed the club to meet the contractual requirement to play 3 matches at Homebush, but still appease the SCG lobby by giving them an extra home game.

We will have to agree to disagree. I think the club probably had very little choice in the matter... sure they could have 'requested' an away game in Canberra, but when the only opportunity is to play the Giants (My understanding is that there is an exclusivity agreement that the three home and away games must have the Giants as the home team - which goes back to the debacle when the Roos went off chasing $$$ to the Gold Coast and Canberra wanting as such 'its own team') , then surely such a request would be nothing but a straw-man by the club? The AFL and the Giants are not going to give up a game that should in theory at least, be the biggest drawing game for GWS in Sydney and bring it to Canberra any time soon. And even if the AFL wanted some other team to play the Swans here in a season match, there is no way in the world that the ACT Government would have put more money on the table, after the ridiculous amount of money spent on the GWS games, and unless you put up big $$$, the AFL isn't interested.

Cheer Squad
17th March 2012, 03:57 PM
We will have to agree to disagree. I think the club probably had very little choice in the matter... sure they could have 'requested' an away game in Canberra, but when the only opportunity is to play the Giants (My understanding is that there is an exclusivity agreement that the three home and away games must have the Giants as the home team - which goes back to the debacle when the Roos went off chasing $$$ to the Gold Coast and Canberra wanting as such 'its own team') , then surely such a request would be nothing but a straw-man by the club? The AFL and the Giants are not going to give up a game that should in theory at least, be the biggest drawing game for GWS in Sydney and bring it to Canberra any time soon. And even if the AFL wanted some other team to play the Swans here in a season match, there is no way in the world that the ACT Government would have put more money on the table, after the ridiculous amount of money spent on the GWS games, and unless you put up big $$$, the AFL isn't interested.

Well, whatever the situation, the substantial fan base we have in Canberra are not going to see us play for premiership points anymore, at least for the time being.

wolftone57
17th March 2012, 08:58 PM
I am a bit confused. My tickets are in GA*G Ailes 115-122, Row GA Seat 4249. I could not find this on the seating map as it doesn't seem to exist. Very confusing. At the G or SCG it is easy but this is a nightmare.

desredandwhite
17th March 2012, 09:48 PM
I am a bit confused. My tickets are in GA*G Ailes 115-122, Row GA Seat 4249. I could not find this on the seating map as it doesn't seem to exist. Very confusing. At the G or SCG it is easy but this is a nightmare.

That's what my ticket says, sort of. You are in the GA Swans area. Go around to Aisles 115 to 122 and sit anywhere you like. You are simply the 4249th person to buy a ticket.

wolftone57
17th March 2012, 09:59 PM
That's what my ticket says, sort of. You are in the GA Swans area. Go around to Aisles 115 to 122 and sit anywhere you like. You are simply the 4249th person to buy a ticket.

So that's what it is, I would have gone looking for seat number 4249, 8 & 7. Why can't they just say 'open' for open seating it would be less confusing.

desredandwhite
17th March 2012, 10:08 PM
I've never seen "open" on a ticket before - "GA" or "General Admission" is the accepted norm as far as I know.

wolftone57
17th March 2012, 10:17 PM
Well GA but with no number to confuse. In Adelaide all seating is allocated, the same at the G. Whether GA or not you still are allocated a seat. GA just meaning you are not in a members area

goswannie14
18th March 2012, 09:20 AM
Well GA but with no number to confuse. In Adelaide all seating is allocated, the same at the G. Whether GA or not you still are allocated a seat. GA just meaning you are not in a members areaGA in melbourne means just that. No allocated seat, otherwise it is reserved seating. GA is a particular area where you sit where you like.

Kirkari
18th March 2012, 10:54 AM
Cheer Squad - Who do you mean when you refer to "the SCG lobby"?

Cheer Squad
18th March 2012, 11:27 AM
Cheer Squad - Who do you mean when you refer to "the SCG lobby"?

Club members who engage in the sort of activities I mentioned in post #50.

jono2707
18th March 2012, 03:01 PM
The SCG is our home and never more so now that the AFL has deemed Sydney's west worthy of a new team. Therefore all of our home games should be played at our home at Moore Park and people in Sydney who don't like that now have another option...

Cheer Squad
18th March 2012, 07:04 PM
The SCG is our home and never more so now that the AFL has deemed Sydney's west worthy of a new team. Therefore all of our home games should be played at our home at Moore Park and people in Sydney who don't like that now have another option...

I'm sure the club will be delighted with the sentiment behind that message.

jono2707
18th March 2012, 07:31 PM
I'm sure the club will be delighted with the sentiment behind that message.

I'm not sure what your problem is here but I certainly detect malice behind the sarcasm. I was not aware of the SCG lobby but if my preference to want to watch the mighty Swannies play there means that I am part of that lobby well so be it. That said I will happily do next week what I have done for a number of years and go out to Homebush to cheer on the boys, however some people I know will not be going or various reasons...

Cheer Squad
18th March 2012, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure what your problem is here but I certainly detect malice behind the sarcasm.

You're imagining things.

jono2707
18th March 2012, 08:45 PM
You're imagining things.

Ok I may be. I'll accept that if thats the case. I think a so-called SCG lobby is imagined too...

It will be very interesting to see how many Swans people bother to make the trip to the game at Homebush. It is an away game after all.

Bas
18th March 2012, 10:56 PM
You guys must not have attended the final against Carlton at Homebush a couple of years ago. We got a crowd of just over 40,000 there and it was the best atmosphere game in Sydney for years.

Club members who engage in the sort of activities I mentioned in post #50.

Here's another scenario.

You're quite wrong.

You're imagining things.

I'm blaming the SCG lobby for Folau's possible suspension. Someone hypnotized him, I'm sure of it. Knocked Scully out of the game too.

I'm wearing my GWS cap on Saturday night whilst sitting in the GWS members section. I'm a Foundation member and proud of it.

Cheer Squad, Fruit loops or Scrambled eggs for breakie?

Cheer Squad
19th March 2012, 08:39 AM
I'm wearing my GWS cap on Saturday night whilst sitting in the GWS members section. I'm a Foundation member and proud of it.

Then you should have quoted this other post as well.

If they're going in GWS colours, that's who they'll be supporting.

wolftone57
19th March 2012, 11:59 AM

So you would play Collingwood and Essendon at the SCG? The revenue loss would be huge. I remember a game against Collingwood at the SCG and it was a sell out and Tickertek said they could have sold another 20,000 tickets at least. I would love to still see the big blockbusters at Homebush where we will get 50,000 to 70,000 people. The Pise & Bombers each have quite a following here.

wolftone57
19th March 2012, 11:59 AM
We will not be outnumbered as I have another one for the Swans camp

Adelaide Swan
19th March 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm blaming the SCG lobby for Folau's possible suspension. Someone hypnotized him, I'm sure of it. Knocked Scully out of the game too.

Cheer Squad, Fruit loops or Scrambled eggs for breakie?

Well why are you here when you could be in the GWS forum?

DLBIA14
19th March 2012, 12:04 PM

He's here because when its the Swans home game, i suspect he'll be in a Swans cap whilst sitting in the Swans members area.

As it were I think a lot of Swans fans will be on board both sides. I'm not comfortable with that myself but we've all just got to respect it.

Adelaide Swan
19th March 2012, 12:38 PM
He's here because when its the Swans home game, i suspect he'll be in a Swans cap whilst sitting in the Swans members area.

As it were I think a lot of Swans fans will be on board both sides. I'm not comfortable with that myself but we've all just got to respect it.

Agreed, I am not comfortable with all myself but we just have to live with it.

I did it with the T20 Big Bash cricket league but I couldn't have cared less.

As far as football is considered, I could never go for two teams.

jono2707
19th March 2012, 01:47 PM
Whilst I'm not too comfortable with Swans people donning an opposition team's colours either I can see that it is being done in support of the good of the game in Sydney. I sincerely hope the game grows sufficiently in this town to support two teams.

One of the reasons in my mind why some of games have been played at Homebush was to give people of the west a chance to 'have a look' at the AFL in the hope that some of those people who wouldn't have otherwise attended a Swans game at the SCG would follow the AFL more closely. Now that there is a team aimed squarely at the western suburbs market I would think that the appeal of Swans games at Homebush may diminish. We have gone from some fabulous crowds at Homebush several years ago to some disappointing numbers, none of which would have sold out the SCG. Obviously over the next 2 years the capacity of the SCG will be way down. When the construction is finished I am sure the Swans and the AFL will look at the attendance to Swans games at Homebush and consider whether the upgraded SCG will be the sole home ground for the Swans going forward. Interest in GWS will also be a factor in this.

I say the above without reference to the contractual status of Swans games at Homebush - maybe someone knows where that stands?

royboy42
19th March 2012, 02:33 PM
Whilst I'm not too comfortable with Swans people donning an opposition team's colours either I can see that it is being done in support of the good of the game in Sydney. I sincerely hope the game grows sufficiently in this town to support two teams.

One of the reasons in my mind why some of games have been played at Homebush was to give people of the west a chance to 'have a look' at the AFL in the hope that some of those people who wouldn't have otherwise attended a Swans game at the SCG would follow the AFL more closely. Now that there is a team aimed squarely at the western suburbs market I would think that the appeal of Swans games at Homebush may diminish. We have gone from some fabulous crowds at Homebush several years ago to some disappointing numbers, none of which would have sold out the SCG. Obviously over the next 2 years the capacity of the SCG will be way down. When the construction is finished I am sure the Swans and the AFL will look at the attendance to Swans games at Homebush and consider whether the upgraded SCG will be the sole home ground for the Swans going forward. Interest in GWS will also be a factor in this.

I say the above without reference to the contractual status of Swans games at Homebush - maybe someone knows where that stands?

I'm pretty sure that when the stadium was being built for the 2000 games, that the AFL chucked in a few mill to ensure it would be designed in such a way that Aussie Rules could be played there.

I guess that meant so it would not be set up as a rectangular stadium suitable only for the rugby games.

There are different schools of thought as to how successful that was.

However, the contract the AFL drew with the stadium has not to my knowledge ever been released into the public domain...so who knows how long the swans will be there and for how many matches??

desredandwhite
19th March 2012, 02:36 PM
As I understand it, the AFL have an agreement with ANZ stadium, not us. Having said that, they will continue to schedule 1-2 blockbusters a year for us there - we will pull larger crowds than the Giants for the forseeable future, and the AFL will want to maximise crowds for the big games - collingwood, Geelong, Essendon.

Daisi
19th March 2012, 04:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm a long term swans member, but won't go to Homebush. It's too far away, it takes too long to get there, the seats are bad and the food is too expensive. I live in the inner west.

I hate it.

Especially when I can see the game live on TV.

As for travelling from the Northside. Last time my elderly mother who lives in Manly went to Homebush- for the cricket, she got home around midnight.

She won't go there to see the swans either..

31 hard at it
19th March 2012, 05:10 PM
Issy Folau is let off - no suspension.
Good for the Swans - I hope they give him lots of game time :)

Bas
19th March 2012, 06:08 PM

The GWS forum doesn't have Cheer Squad posting there and I always love a good conspiracy theory.

Bas
19th March 2012, 06:10 PM
Then you should have quoted this other post as well.

I'm going under cover, just so tthat SCG lobby doesn't recognise me. They're everywhere you know.

mcs
19th March 2012, 06:24 PM

I watched him closely on Saturday at Manuka. He seriously has no idea at all imo. He kicks the ball ok, but he has no idea how to lead, no idea how to put pressure on without the ball, and really looks to me like he struggles to read the game at all. Got caught under the flight of the ball 7 or 8 times on Saturday where he simply misjudged the flight of the ball by a big margin. The guy to me is nothing but a big $$$ publicity stunt for the AFL. I hope he gets better, I really do, but he really looked completely out of his depth on Saturday, against what I thought was an ordinary Tigers team as well.

Wazza
19th March 2012, 06:27 PM
I think GWS competition will be healthy for the swans and I understand why some will opt for dual membership, Im a foundation Crows member which I renew every year even though I havent been to footy park (aami whatever) for 10+ years
Im full family swans member but my first luv is my old local team in SANFL Central Districts who I still purchase membership for but havent been to a game for 15 years plus.

I enjoy going to Homebush I have great seats and it is easier to get into and out of the carpark than at Moore Park. A big crowd at SCG is fantastic but there were some very flat games at the SCG last year where atmosphere was definately lacking.
Im not sure if the food is better at the SCG the pies and chips taste the same to me ... what else would you eat at at the footy!!

So I sorta agree and disagree in parts with everyone :hmmmm2: I think the important thing is we all get out and support AFL in NSW either team it will be a win win.

Cheers

Waz

Wazza
19th March 2012, 06:29 PM
I watched him closely on Saturday at Manuka. He seriously has no idea at all imo. He kicks the ball ok, but he has no idea how to lead, no idea how to put pressure on without the ball, and really looks to me like he struggles to read the game at all. Got caught under the flight of the ball 7 or 8 times on Saturday where he simply misjudged the flight of the ball by a big margin. The guy to me is nothing but a big $$$ publicity stunt for the AFL. I hope he gets better, I really do, but he really looked completely out of his depth on Saturday, against what I thought was an ordinary Tigers team as well.

I watched the Hawks GWS in Tassie and after 1/2 time he did some very nice things but he wont have the consitency from what i saw I wouldnt mind him running around our fwd 50.

Cheers

waz

mcs
19th March 2012, 06:52 PM
I watched the Hawks GWS in Tassie and after 1/2 time he did some very nice things but he wont have the consitency from what i saw I wouldnt mind him running around our fwd 50.

Cheers

waz

I can only go on what I saw on Saturday as I didn't see him play at all last year, but he looked utterly clueless to me. Too often when the ball was 50-60 metres away, instead of looking for a lead and moving his backman around to try and create space, he literally just stood there waiting for the ball to be delivered. Perhaps its on instruction from sheedy, but if he plays consistently like that, then any good backman (As the Richmond guy did a number of times on Saturday) will just position himself so that Folau ends up going under the flight of the ball and basically out of the contest. There is no doubt he has the physique to make it in the game, but whether he can develop the understanding I'm not so sure. TBH, on what I saw on Saturday, I wouldn't want him in our forward 50 as I think he currently offers very little to zero as a key forward. I have no doubt he will improve with experience and time, but he looks a very long way from even being a moderate level afl footballer.

Kirkari
19th March 2012, 06:57 PM
As I understand it, the AFL have an agreement with ANZ stadium, not us. Having said that, they will continue to schedule 1-2 blockbusters a year for us there - we will pull larger crowds than the Giants for the forseeable future, and the AFL will want to maximise crowds for the big games - collingwood, Geelong, Essendon.

The agreement is between the Swans and ANZ. I understand that it works very well for the club in keeping the SCG Trust from treating us with COMPLETE disregard (still pretty close to complete but apparently better than pre the ANZ deal).

I don't know if there's really an SCG lobby but I really can't sympathise with fans who won't go to Homebush. If you're committed, you don't act to damage the club. You find a way to get to games. That's what makes for some of the most incredible fan stories (we used to walk 10 miles uphill both ways through the snow, and chewing on an old chop bone, etc., etc.) isn't it? The state of AFL in Sydney is up to us as fans and if a long bus ride to Homebush is too much for a club that's been here 30 years to ask from its fans, then no wonder Melbourne teams laugh at our "commitment" (as I am told they do).

As to Giants fans outnumbering Swans fans, I'll believe it when I see it. I say no chance.

Cheer Squad
19th March 2012, 07:29 PM
I don't know if there's really an SCG lobby...

If in doubt, ask Richard Colless.

Kirkari
19th March 2012, 07:56 PM
If in doubt, ask Richard Colless.

Ha ha! I will accost him at the very next opportunity. (I'm sure he'd enjoy THAT conversation... )

Apart from that, I am really questioning whether "lobby" implies rather more organisation and plotting than really exists. I am more inclined to believe that varying degrees of apathy, a sense of entitlement and/or lack of individual accountability is at play than a grand conspiracy.

Before anyone gets out the pitchforks, I am sure that there are a small number of people who GENUINELY can't make it to Homebush. But I am saying there are plenty who just don't want to inconvenience themselves in the slightest, which is a real shame.

erica
19th March 2012, 08:00 PM
I'd love to see him bounce off Mumford. THEN he'd really know he was playing AFL. :smile:

ugg
19th March 2012, 08:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm a long term swans member, but won't go to Homebush. It's too far away, it takes too long to get there, the seats are bad and the food is too expensive. I live in the inner west.

I hate it.

As for travelling from the Northside. Last time my elderly mother who lives in Manly went to Homebush- for the cricket, she got home around midnight.

Inner west to Olympic Park is far??
Food is expensive at both stadiums
Depending on your seats, there are some poor ones at the scg too but I guess what you're really referring to is the distance from the action

Bas
19th March 2012, 08:49 PM
I think GWS competition will be healthy for the swans and I understand why some will opt for dual membership, Im a foundation Crows member which I renew every year even though I havent been to footy park (aami whatever) for 10+ years
Im full family swans member but my first luv is my old local team in SANFL Central Districts who I still purchase membership for but havent been to a game for 15 years plus.

I enjoy going to Homebush I have great seats and it is easier to get into and out of the carpark than at Moore Park. A big crowd at SCG is fantastic but there were some very flat games at the SCG last year where atmosphere was definately lacking.

So I sorta agree and disagree in parts with everyone :hmmmm2: I think the important thing is we all get out and support AFL in NSW either team it will be a win win.Cheers
Waz

:clap:

Unfortunately, its hard for some to understand this.

On League Teams, Dermie said that he has been employed to help Izzy with his positioning and play just as he did for a young J Brown from Brisbane.

It will be a steep learning year but when it clicks for him, that GWS FF and CHF combo will put the cleaners through a few teams.

Bas
19th March 2012, 08:57 PM
Inner west to Olympic Park is far??

Proof of the SCG lobby in action !!!

Travelling down from the Central Coast, it's so funny to read how Inner West to Olympic Park is too far. I just give my camel a few extra drinks before we leave.

wolftone57
19th March 2012, 09:10 PM
I think if you are a true supporter you will go to any game within reason. I don't mean going to Bris, Melb, Adel,Perth or Tassie. But to say you won't go to Homebush is really not supporting your team. I am a pensioner and I am going. To say that Homebush is a long way from the inner west is absolute rubbish. I live in Lilyfield and I don't find it too far. I also trecked out to Doonside on the weekend, now that was a long way for me as I am using public transport. I will get a bus to Strathfild to my friend's house and then we will get a train or bus to the stadium (Coronation Parade sometimes has Olympic Park buses going on Game day).

Bas
19th March 2012, 09:15 PM
Big effort Wolfy to get to Rooty Hill last week by public transport. :clap:

Andrew Demetriou has said On the Couch that he expects a crowd of 30 to 35,000. Hopefully 35 to 40,000. Made up mostly of Swans supporters.

jono2707
20th March 2012, 08:43 AM
Who really cares who is a 'true supporter' and who isn't??? We in Sydney live in a place where AFL occupies a very small niche of a host of other sport, entertainment and cultural options. For many people AFL simply 'isn't in the blood' and following the Swans is one of a number of things that people can elect to spend their time and money on. Generally speaking it seems that Sydney people are more difficult to get to live sporting events en masse than for people in Melbourne. Sydney is also quite a spread out place where the transport isn't always easy to cope with for those not on a main artery. Add to that the weather, which hasn't been great in the last few months, and you have a host of ready-made excuses for those people who won't be in attendance on Saturday night.

I consider myself a good fan of the Swans and an advocate of AFL, and a bit of a student of the game, but I also understand that plenty of people just aren't that into it.

I look forward to being there in a sea of Red and White and look forward to us giving GWS a proper footy lesson.....

Cheer Squad
20th March 2012, 08:54 AM
...Add to that the weather, which hasn't been great in the last few months, and you have a host of ready-made excuses for those people who won't be in attendance on Saturday night...

At this stage, Saturday's forecast is for sunny weather.

That's good for us, as we don't exactly like playing in wet weather.

It's also helps GWS in their effort to attract a big crowd.

jono2707
20th March 2012, 10:33 AM
At this stage, Saturday's forecast is for sunny weather.

That's good for us, as we don't exactly like playing in wet weather.

It's also helps GWS in their effort to attract a big crowd.

I certainly hope its fine weather so we can rack up as big a score as possible - 2 matches against GWS and we have to boost our percentage as much as possible in each game.

Provided the weather stays fine this week that will assist with ticket sales...

Bas
20th March 2012, 10:38 AM
Provided the weather stays fine this week that will assist with ticket sales...

In Sydney, people will turn up for the inaugural match of anything. So if the weather is good, maybe 40K.

We certainly need percentage boosts but so will the other teams that play them.

Daisi
20th March 2012, 10:43 AM
I appreciate people responding to my post and I understand that many don't feel I am a genuine supporter of
the Swans because I wont go to Homebush.

That's fine, we all support the team in our own way.

One thing you don't consider is that I have to go to the footy by myself. I wont go to Homebush alone, but I
am quite happy to travel to the SCG alone. I have done that on several occasions, I feel safe and secure and
have no problems.

I don't feel the same at Homebush. I really dislike the feel of the place, the travel and the cost.

I'm not the only person who feels that way. I can't get any of my footy supporting friends to go to Homebush either

Anyway, it's just another point of view. I appreciate the comments...

aardvark
20th March 2012, 10:52 AM
I appreciate people responding to my post and I understand that many don't feel I am a genuine supporter of
the Swans because I wont go to Homebush.

That's fine, we all support the team in our own way.

One thing you don't consider is that I have to go to the footy by myself. I wont go to Homebush alone, but I
am quite happy to travel to the SCG alone. I have done that on several occasions, I feel safe and secure and
have no problems.

I don't feel the same at Homebush. I really dislike the feel of the place, the travel and the cost.

I'm not the only person who feels that way. I can't get any of my footy supporting friends to go to Homebush either

Anyway, it's just another point of view. I appreciate the comments...

Wow....So Daisi is it true you are the secret head of the "Sydney Lobby Illuminati"? Do you have a secret handshake or wear red carnations in your lapels? Where can I join up, is there an initiation ceremony?:wink:

Ruck'n'Roll
20th March 2012, 11:07 AM
Perhaps Cheer Squad & jono might consider the personal message option

jono2707
20th March 2012, 11:46 AM
Perhaps Cheer Squad & jono might consider the personal message option

Why?

Dosser
20th March 2012, 12:02 PM
Who really cares who is a 'true supporter' and who isn't??? We in Sydney live in a place where AFL occupies a very small niche of a host of other sport, entertainment and cultural options. For many people AFL simply 'isn't in the blood' and following the Swans is one of a number of things that people can elect to spend their time and money on. Generally speaking it seems that Sydney people are more difficult to get to live sporting events en masse than for people in Melbourne. Sydney is also quite a spread out place where the transport isn't always easy to cope with for those not on a main artery. Add to that the weather, which hasn't been great in the last few months, and you have a host of ready-made excuses for those people who won't be in attendance on Saturday night.

I consider myself a good fan of the Swans and an advocate of AFL, and a bit of a student of the game, but I also understand that plenty of people just aren't that into it.

I look forward to being there in a sea of Red and White and look forward to us giving GWS a proper footy lesson.....

One of the situations that you have up in Sydney that we dont have down here is the ability to pick and choose which games to attend. You know that half of our games are played in your 'backyard' (SCG or Homebush) anyway, so if you skip one there is probably another in a week or so. Unfortunately, down here we dont have that luxury as we get about 5 games a year in Melbourne. This means that the long trip to Geelong when we play there is almost mandatory for us as we understand that beggars cant be choosers.

This is not a criticism at all of Sydney-based supporters (I used to be one, too) it is just that in that way you can be a bit spoiled for choice.

erica
20th March 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm thrilled that we get 12 Swans games in Sydney this year. An extra game at the SCG is a bonus to me! (even if the games are at some odd times) Happy days start next Saturday and I am so excited. :clap:

Danzar
20th March 2012, 01:22 PM

I've got a big respect for any Swans member that has taken out a GWS membership. It shows dedication that goes beyond the club. For GWS (and any club) success is heavily dependant on members and bums on seats - we all know this.

I missed getting a foundation membership last year, but there are $60 'supporters' membership on offer at GWS and I'll be taking out one of those and will continue to do so until they are well established in the Sydney market.

I don't see anything wrong with turning up to the occasional GWS home game wearing a GWS cap. For me, it would represent supporting the birth of a new AFL club in Sydney.

This is huge when put into perspective - how close did the Swans experiment come to complete failure? Exactly two decades ago it nearly folded. Now, we not only have a successful, respected club, we also have a vibrant AFL market in Sydney that's on the eve of producing, against all odds, its second team come Saturday 24 March 2012.

That club is worth at least a basic level of support for that simple reason. :smile:

jono2707
20th March 2012, 01:25 PM
This is not a criticism at all of Sydney-based supporters (I used to be one, too) it is just that in that way you can be a bit spoiled for choice.

I agree that in Sydney we are spoilt for choice for Swans games which can affect attendance at times. On the other hand when I get to Melbourne I always try to take in another game - in 2010 I went down for the Carlton Swans game on the Sunday, and so decided to go to the Collingwood - St Kilda game at the MCG on the Saturday. The attendance was 80-odd thousand people and although the game ended up being a bit one-sided in favour of that awful Collingwood mob, the atmosphere was superb. You people in Melbourne should never forget how lucky you are to have the MCG - one of the greatest stadiums in the world.....

Dosser
20th March 2012, 01:31 PM
I agree that in Sydney we are spoilt for choice for Swans games which can affect attendance at times. On the other hand when I get to Melbourne I always try to take in another game - in 2010 I went down for the Carlton Swans game on the Sunday, and so decided to go to the Collingwood - St Kilda game at the MCG on the Saturday. The attendance was 80-odd thousand people and although the game ended up being a bit one-sided in favour of that awful Collingwood mob, the atmosphere was superb. You people in Melbourne should never forget how lucky you are to have the MCG - one of the greatest stadiums in the world.....

Absolutely agree. It was one of the great things about moving down here. On the downside, all you get in the media is Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton. It turns you off reading the papers or watching the news.

Doctor
20th March 2012, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I hate it.

WTF??!! Homebush is pretty much IN the innerwest. Yes the food is expensive but it's expensive at the SCG too. The only legitimate complaint is the beer at Homebush (XXXX Gold), which is absolute rubbish.

I feel for your elderly mother but I would think it would be just as quick to get to Homebush via the direct bus service for major events if she is mobile enough to use public transport as it would be to the SCG.

Mrs Shaw
20th March 2012, 11:22 PM
So you would play Collingwood and Essendon at the SCG? The revenue loss would be huge. I remember a game against Collingwood at the SCG and it was a sell out and Tickertek said they could have sold another 20,000 tickets at least. I would love to still see the big blockbusters at Homebush where we will get 50,000 to 70,000 people. The Pise & Bombers each have quite a following here.

If things go well for the Swans this year, the Collingwood game at Homebush could be massive. 50,000+.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yj3ngu

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 08:14 AM
WTF??!! Homebush is pretty much IN the innerwest. Yes the food is expensive but it's expensive at the SCG too. The only legitimate complaint is the beer at Homebush (XXXX Gold), which is absolute rubbish.

I feel for your elderly mother but I would think it would be just as quick to get to Homebush via the direct bus service for major events if she is mobile enough to use public transport as it would be to the SCG.

Agreed, coming from the southern suburbs of Sydney, I'd normally take the direct bus to Homebush which isn't too bad.

On Saturday, I will be in the city for most of the day and will be meeting up with my mates at Central and getting the train out there.

It's not that far imo.

jono2707
21st March 2012, 08:55 AM
I couldn't have been bothered hassling those in my group that aren't going this Saturday - fact is that a lot of people dislike Homebush, and whether we feel their reasons are valid or not, they ain't goin'.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 09:34 AM
Greater Western Sydney Giants: Membership climbing as the west embraces team - Local News - News - Blacktown Advocate (http://blacktown-advocate.whereilive.com.au/news/story/greater-western-sydney-giants-membership-climbing-as-the-west-embraces-team/FANATICS/)

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 10:11 AM
Greater Western Sydney Giants: Membership climbing as the west embraces team - Local News - News - Blacktown Advocate (http://blacktown-advocate.whereilive.com.au/news/story/greater-western-sydney-giants-membership-climbing-as-the-west-embraces-team/FANATICS/)

This is simply not good enough.

We are Sydney's team and being outnumbered by our new noisy neighbours is simply unacceptable.

The SCG lobby needs to pull their finger out and get out to the game on Saturday night.

CJK
21st March 2012, 10:41 AM
This 'supporting the AFL' attitude is priceless.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 10:43 AM

Telling me, how any of us can possibly be supporting a team who has the potential to cannibalise our support base is simply unacceptable.

We're supposed to be Swans fans for goodness sake.

CJK
21st March 2012, 10:53 AM
I guess some people have no idea how a rivalry works.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 11:13 AM
I guess some people have no idea how a rivalry works.

:applouse:

jono2707
21st March 2012, 11:16 AM
Telling me, how any of us can possibly be supporting a team who has the potential to cannibalise our support base is simply unacceptable.

We're supposed to be Swans fans for goodness sake.

So should I be going to this game, a GWS home game, or not? Now I'm confused :smile:

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 11:43 AM
So should I be going to this game, a GWS home game, or not? Now I'm confused :smile:

Yes absolutely,

It is still a football game in our home city.

We are Swans fans and we have to support our team.

I don't want to give Sheedy the satisfaction of knowing his mob of plastic fans outnumbered the established team in the city.

Matt79
21st March 2012, 12:08 PM

Why is it priceless? I live and work in the Western Suburbs of Sydney. A primary school teacher who has been battling to help get AFL entrenched in the school sporting landscape. I am a die hard Swans'supporter and NOTHING will ever take that away from me. I am an Ultimate 11 member and pay premium $$ to support my club.

I did this year ALSO purchase an AFL membership with GWS club support...why?
* I plan on going to some of their home games as I love AFL
* AFL membership gets me into the Swans' Melbourne based matches
* By throwing some $$ GWS' way, it helps to fund Auskick staff in my local primary school.

Whilst I would love for every Sydneysider to be Swans fan, this simply is not realistic.
What I would rather is people in the west of Sydney talking about AFL and GWS rather than thugby league and the like.

So...yes I am supporting the code of Aussie Rules. Tell me why this is wrong?

Primmy
21st March 2012, 12:16 PM
So should I be going to this game, a GWS home game, or not? Now I'm confused :smile:Just stirring the pot aren't you jono. Expect to see you in the crowd.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 12:43 PM
Why is it priceless? I live and work in the Western Suburbs of Sydney. A primary school teacher who has been battling to help get AFL entrenched in the school sporting landscape. I am a die hard Swans'supporter and NOTHING will ever take that away from me. I am an Ultimate 11 member and pay premium $$ to support my club.

I did this year ALSO purchase an AFL membership with GWS club support...why?
* I plan on going to some of their home games as I love AFL
* AFL membership gets me into the Swans' Melbourne based matches
* By throwing some $$ GWS' way, it helps to fund Auskick staff in my local primary school.

Whilst I would love for every Sydneysider to be Swans fan, this simply is not realistic.
What I would rather is people in the west of Sydney talking about AFL and GWS rather than thugby league and the like.

So...yes I am supporting the code of Aussie Rules. Tell me why this is wrong?

A bit narrow minded there aren't we, mate.

I am passionate about the Sydney Swans like everyone else on here but I don't get how it's a crime to follow more than one sport and rugby league happens to be one of them.

It's attitudes like that the whole "thugby league" label will ensure football never gets anywhere in Sydney.

One thing I do know about the people of western Sydney and league fans out there is they don't appreciate cocky little upstarts from Melbourne like Kevin Sheedy telling them what's what.

jono2707
21st March 2012, 12:44 PM
Just stirring the pot aren't you jono. Expect to see you in the crowd.

Yep I'll be there happily supporting my Swannies and the AFL in general, and telling old Mr Sheeds I think he's acting like a fool if I get the chance.

And well put Matt79.....

Cheer Squad
21st March 2012, 01:08 PM

28,000 tickets sold as of Monday - that is quite impressive.

Approximately 56% in favour of the Giants, and 44% for us.

That means roughly 16,000 people for the Giants, and about 12,000 for the Swans.

Surely more than 12,000 Swans supporters are going to show up on the night?

Melbourne_Blood
21st March 2012, 01:17 PM
I could never see myself buying a membership to another team and openly supporting another team besides the mighty bloods. However, i am a Melbourne based supporter. In this town, Aussie rules is basically a religion. Everyone talks about, its always in the paper, nightly news, and theres games on the telly. Not to mention the games on overy weekend at Etihad and the G for live viewing. For a footy lover ( which everyone here basically is) its fantastic. If i lived in a city where the sport struggled to get much attention, and there was very little media coverage, and few match broadcasts ( particularly of games not involving the swans, as I'm assuming they get a run on the TV), i suppose it would be appealing to have another team in order to get the profile of the sport up. Im not saying i would buy a membership, but if i lived in your poor, AFL starved City, i honestly dont know what I'd do. God Bless our game.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 01:17 PM
28,000 tickets sold as of Monday - that is quite impressive.

Approximately 56% in favour of the Giants, and 44% for us.

That means roughly 16,000 people for the Giants, and about 12,000 for the Swans.

Surely more than 12,000 Swans supporters are going to show up on the night?

Exactly, this is where I implore the SCG lobby to pull the finger out and get to the game on Saturday night.

Who cares if it is a GW$ home game, we should be there to support our boys.

Big Al
21st March 2012, 01:19 PM
Yep I'll be there happily supporting my Swannies and the AFL in general, and telling old Mr Sheeds I think he's acting like a fool if I get the chance.

And well put Matt79.....

+1 except for the Sheedy bit. He's exactly what was needed to get heard in an NRL dominated media. A shrinking violet doesn't get the publicity that Sheedy has gotten.

Cheer Squad
21st March 2012, 01:28 PM
Exactly, this is where I implore the SCG lobby to pull the finger out and get to the game on Saturday night.

Who cares if it is a GW$ home game, we should be there to support our boys.

I know the game was not included in our memberships, and that it's at Homebush, but really, you'd think after 30 years in Sydney, we'd have a much larger core group of supporters who just want to see the team in action.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 01:33 PM
I know the game was not included in our memberships, and that it's at Homebush, but really, you'd think after 30 years in Sydney, we'd have a much larger core group of supporters who just want to see the team in action.

That's was my main concern with GWS's admission to the AFL in the first place.

As it has proven here, they already have eaten into our supporter base and we can't afford that.

Matt79
21st March 2012, 02:19 PM
A bit narrow minded there aren't we, mate.

I am passionate about the Sydney Swans like everyone else on here but I don't get how it's a crime to follow more than one sport and rugby league happens to be one of them.

It's attitudes like that the whole "thugby league" label will ensure football never gets anywhere in Sydney.

One thing I do know about the people of western Sydney and league fans out there is they don't appreciate cocky little upstarts from Melbourne like Kevin Sheedy telling them what's what.

Narrow minded??? haha.... I think you totally missed the point of my whole post!! You picked up one word in my whole post and dealt with that! My post was explaining my reasoning behind being a Swans member and also an AFL member with GWS support. Oh well, I can only try to explain!

R-1
21st March 2012, 02:34 PM
As long as I live in Canberra and the Giants play three home games here, I'm going to be getting a Giants ACT membership alongside my three-game Swans one.

Of course I'm a diehard Swans fan but it's very simple. I support football in Canberra and hope there is, one day, a team here.

Mrs Shaw
21st March 2012, 02:46 PM
Anyone bought their ticket this week? If so what is the PAX number on it. Would be good to get a gauge on tickets sold. Mine is 19,798 but I bought mine weeks ago.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1qhcxy

R-1
21st March 2012, 02:49 PM
Highest ticket number I've seen was someone on Bigfooty saying they got something in the 28 000 range.

alison.z
21st March 2012, 02:51 PM
Last I heard was 28,000 tickets sold and projected crowd of 40,000

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 03:09 PM
Narrow minded??? haha.... I think you totally missed the point of my whole post!! You picked up one word in my whole post and dealt with that! My post was explaining my reasoning behind being a Swans member and also an AFL member with GWS support. Oh well, I can only try to explain!

I understood where you were coming from but I was always going to respond to that thugby league tag.

It doesn't do football any good if they look down their noses at the other codes.

It's one of many reasons soccer struggles because most soccer fans have an elitist view of their code.

As a football and league fan, both are great games, I don't understand why one has to put down another code because they follow another.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 03:10 PM
Last I heard was 28,000 tickets sold and projected crowd of 40,000

We really need to pull our socks up here.

We are Sydney's established football team and it would be rather embarrassing if the new and noisy neighbours got more supporters than us.

CJK
21st March 2012, 03:23 PM

No - as a Swans fan send a message that GWS are of no interest and reserve to sink back in the earth.

And by god turn up in numbers to our home game to show how a proper club rolls.

CJK
21st March 2012, 03:26 PM
I am a die hard Swans' supporter and NOTHING will ever take that away from me.

You've taken it away yourself by putting money in GWSs pocket.

Danzar
21st March 2012, 03:33 PM
That's was my main concern with GWS's admission to the AFL in the first place.

As it has proven here, they already have eaten into our supporter base and we can't afford that.
You completely miss the point. The point is that the etnrance of GWS into the Sydney market is meant to increase the size of the total AFL support base in Sydney and in turn, increase the Swans member numbers, i.e. if the pie is bigger, your slice is bigger even if you proportionate share decreases. Assuming the Swans continue their impressive form, I would not be surprised to see the the total Swans members is higher than it's average a few years from now.

R-1
21st March 2012, 03:52 PM
It's also bringing more AFL money and attention, and the Academy which is a more favourable recruitment setup in NSW than we've had before (even if we lose half the state from our zone).

R-1
21st March 2012, 04:04 PM
Also, the "screw the other team by not attending their home derby" thing is one of the most petty and smallminded things about SA football. I hope it never catches on in the Sydney Derbies.

stellation
21st March 2012, 04:21 PM
You've taken it away yourself by putting money in GWSs pocket.

That's your opinion.

My opinion is that, given his reasons, Matt is not only still a Swans fan but also an outstanding member of his community- a teacher that puts their money where their mouth is for something they believe will benefit their community (and their pupils)? We should be so lucky for DET to be staffed by such folks.

Adelaide Swan
21st March 2012, 04:23 PM
Also, the "screw the other team by not attending their home derby" thing is one of the most petty and smallminded things about SA football. I hope it never catches on in the Sydney Derbies.

Agreed,

Tbh, I don't understand how "welcoming" some of our fans are to GWS.

I don't think West Coast fans welcomed Freo into the comp in 1995.

Matt79
21st March 2012, 04:32 PM
That's your opinion.

My opinion is that, given his reasons, Matt is not only still a Swans fan but also an outstanding member of his community- a teacher that puts their money where their mouth is for something they believe will benefit their community (and their pupils)? We should be so lucky for DET to be staffed by such folks.

Many many thanks Stella for your positive words! I only want to see the code of AFL succeed and allow as many children as possible to play and/or watch what I believe is the greatest sport on Earth!

Dosser
21st March 2012, 04:35 PM
This is starting to resemble a Bigfooty thread...

DLBIA14
21st March 2012, 04:39 PM
I don't give 2 @@@@s about GWS, but I do care about the success of the game and more specifically the success of the Swans. Don't want to go to ANZ for no reason other than personal distaste? Don't want to give GWS your money to go to an 'away' game? Fine, but it is clear that you're not really a passionate Swans supporter.

For the Swans to be the sucess we want them to be they need continuous die-hard support, not snobby so-and-so's who care more about 'the principle of the matter' and making inconsequential points. Show your 'PASSION' and kick to boys off to a good start. Bring all your friends, colleagues, family members and every sports fanatic you know. Drink crap beer, scoff down some pies and enjoy the thumping before you in a stadium painted red and white.

Come on guys, in 2003 there were 70 000 of us. Out you come lurkers! :wink:

Matt79
21st March 2012, 04:40 PM
This is starting to resemble a Bigfooty thread...

The irony is...this is exactly what it is about. Igniting the passion! I was in a newsagent in Stanhope Gardens (Western Sydney) last Saturday and with my paper they gave me the GWS fandana. I said to the staff member..."I will wait until tomorrow to get the better team's one...the swans!" To which a lady in the line behind yelled out, "Go GWS!" I said back to her, "Great to hear some AFL passion out here!"

This is what a rivalry is all about!

Cheer Squad
21st March 2012, 04:43 PM
I've just received a call from a Mr. John Longmire, reminding me that Saturday's game is an away match for the Swans, and encouraging me to book tickets via Ticketek.

I tried telling Mr. Longmire I already had my ticket, but I couldn't get a word in edgeways. Then he hung up!

These telemarketers - how do they get your number! :rolleyes:

Dosser
21st March 2012, 04:43 PM
Wow, that is great news. Sitting here in Melbourne we think that there is no GWS passion up there and it is just Sheedy flogging a dead horse. To hear that there are locals actually prepared to passionately support is fantastic.

Dosser
21st March 2012, 04:44 PM
He was probably sick of everyone asking him about our forward line and Rohan's ankle.

CJK
21st March 2012, 05:16 PM

Today 10:53 AM
Thread: Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans
by CJK

I guess some people have no idea how a rivalry works

DamY
21st March 2012, 05:36 PM
I don't give 2 @@@@s about GWS, but I do care about the success of the game and more specifically the success of the Swans. Don't want to go to ANZ for no reason other than personal distaste? Don't want to give GWS your money to go to an 'away' game? Fine, but it is clear that you're not really a passionate Swans supporter.

For the Swans to be the sucess we want them to be they need continuous die-hard support, not snobby so-and-so's who care more about 'the principle of the matter' and making inconsequential points. Show your 'PASSION' and kick to boys off to a good start. Bring all your friends, colleagues, family members and every sports fanatic you know. Drink crap beer, scoff down some pies and enjoy the thumping before you in a stadium painted red and white.

Come on guys, in 2003 there were 70 000 of us. Out you come lurkers! :wink:

Hear, hear! Except no pies for me, so many calories! Would rather reserve the empty calories for my cider

Matimbo
21st March 2012, 05:38 PM
The 2 articles linked to in this post are from the Daily Telegraph and the Blacktown Advocate. Not surprisingly, both of these are owned by News Corp and to me they read like unashamed advertising to generate interest in the game, rather than anything resembling journalism. We know that News Corp's influence in rugby league becomes much less now that they've handed control over to an independent commision. I'd strongly suspect they anticipate this will lead to lower NRL-related revenues in the future because they can no longer influence the official NRL media messaging, scheduling, etc. So they are ramping up their support for AFL in Sydney to counter this. Hence, they REALLY need GWS and AFL in western Sydney to succeed (as does the AFL as they are reportedly investing $150M into it). With such a vested interest, I can't take much of what the articles say too seriously.

What I do know about long-term club support is this:
- The average AFL club memebership is around 35,000, although it varies widely
- The average game crowd across all of last season (excl. finals) was about 38-39,000 ... so there is approx a 1:1 long term ratio of membership to game attendance. This is a useful metric
- GWS has 7,500 members but hope to grow it to double that this year (yet Gold Coast have only got to 11,000 to end of last year)
- Using the 1:1 ratio, GWS will be doing well to average anything close to 20,000 crowd per home game this season. This will not be sustainable and I see the AFL having to prop them up for quite a few years

If things were really looking so rosy for GWS support, News Corp wouldn't need to write glowing articles implying that GWS will be a success from day 1. Like some of the other posts, I too hope AFL can grow in western Sydney. However, the market is already too fragmented and I just can't see it.

Damien
21st March 2012, 07:03 PM
According to the Ticketek person I was speaking to today, most ticket sales outisde the Swans GA area is considered GWS as it's GWS' game but I guess the proof will be in the pudding on Saturday night.

I'd suggest the bigger issue sales wise is the first game of the year not being included in memberships. This is something very new for a lot of Swans fans and has only happened once in our history, against North Melbourne the first year they played at the SCG (which resulted in a lower than expected crowd), they corrected that the following year and again, when the Dogs played at the SCG, was included as part of our package. Swans members have only been asked to purchase tickets for finals etc, this is a whole new ball game, and while not difficult or confusing, I don't imagine a lot of fans really put much thought into it until maybe this week.

Whilst I understand memberships for Port/Freo/Crows/Melb Club et al don't normally allow for this, Sydney is a different market and I think considering GWS' have 7K members and the Swans have 24K members and ANZ holds 80K, the clubs could have worked together for the first few years to give reciprocal rights (even if seats changed as a one off etc) and reviewed it again when and if GWS membership starts to get to our levels.

From the AFL point of view, there are two keys to success this Saturday night - TV ratings (Specifically in Sydney) and secondly the crowd. The job for the crowd could have been made a lot easier by sorting out memberships. Only have to go back to the Kangaroos final in the wet a few years ago to understand Sydney's love affair with that ground as an AFL Blockbusters venue is very on and off.

CJK
21st March 2012, 07:03 PM
That's your opinion.

Yep, looking down on their students for playing, in their words, Thugby League is indeed ideal from teachers.

I mean, they're only Westies right!

stellation
21st March 2012, 07:38 PM
Yep, looking down on their students for playing, in their words, Thugby League is indeed ideal from teachers.

I think you know that is not evenly remotely what I was suggesting.

Good for you if you enjoy being contrary.

Matt79
21st March 2012, 08:06 PM

Wow! You were quick to judge what I meant from one word in my whole post! FWIW there is room for all codes and I enjoy following rugby league too. My students have the freedom to choose what they like and I have NEVER ever called it "Thugby League" to my class. It was a throw away line in my post. But continue to dwell on that if you like and completely miss my point in the original post.

Kirkari
21st March 2012, 08:10 PM
I've just received a call from a Mr. John Longmire, reminding me that Saturday's game is an away match for the Swans, and encouraging me to book tickets via Ticketek.

I tried telling Mr. Longmire I already had my ticket, but I couldn't get a word in edgeways. Then he hung up!

I hope you called him back!

Kirkari
21st March 2012, 08:22 PM
No - as a Swans fan send a message that GWS are of no interest and reserve to sink back in the earth.

I disagree entirely, but EVEN if I wanted to see GWS fail, I still say your approach is wrong. As a Swans fan, go to EVERY Swans game you can possibly get to. Wear your Swans colours, buy Swans merchandise, enter Swans raffles, sign up your friends to Swans memberships, brainwash your family's and friends' children from an early age by giving Swans-themed gifts..., you get the idea.

If you want to "ignore" GWS, just don't go to their games when they play other teams.

Boycotting even a single Swans game damages the Swans, and that can only be a bad thing.

Danzar
21st March 2012, 09:47 PM
It's also bringing more AFL money and attention, and the Academy which is a more favourable recruitment setup in NSW than we've had before (even if we lose half the state from our zone).
Eggacery!

Danzar
21st March 2012, 09:57 PM
x2!

Anyone who believes a successful second team in Sydney is a bad thing is a big arsehat.

Anyone who thinks that boycotting their games is a good idea is Kyle Sandilands, who is both an arsehat and Kyle Sandilands.

Whilst I don't dislike those sorts of people, I like everyone else much more.

See you Saturday. Go Swans!

Bas
21st March 2012, 10:27 PM
As a football and league fan, both are great games, I don't understand why one has to put down another code because they follow another.

So according to your blessing, it's OK to follow other codes BUT you can't support a 2nd AFL team in Sydney?

Your comments on Sheedy and the west are without proof and the Swans have had how many years to build a supporter base?

GWS will probably be more competitive if not equal to the Swans within 5 years.

Enjoy the game on the telly on Saturday. It will add to the ratings.

Bas
21st March 2012, 10:38 PM

Cheer Squad aren't you a Swans member? It's not the SCG lobby group.

Wise man Mr Longmire.

Doctor
21st March 2012, 10:42 PM
I bought reserved seats, so it sounds like they'll be "counted" as GWS supporters even though the 14 of us in our group are definitely Swans fans. I suspect many others may be in the same boat.

All this rivalry carry on on this thread is ridiculous. I'm going because the Swans are playing in Sydney and I love seeing them play and cheering them on. I have no idea what the ticket sale carve up is and I don't really care. I'm there to see my team play.

Danzar
21st March 2012, 11:35 PM
I bought reserved seats, so it sounds like they'll be "counted" as GWS supporters even though the 14 of us in our group are definitely Swans fans. I suspect many others may be in the same boat.

All this rivalry carry on on this thread is ridiculous. I'm going because the Swans are playing in Sydney and I love seeing them play and cheering them on. I have no idea what the ticket sale carve up is and I don't really care. I'm there to see my team play.
When you buy a ticket on Ticketek, it actually asks you to type 'red' if you are a Swans supporter or 'orange' if you are GWS supporter before you buy (at least it did for me a week ago). I think that's how they got the ratio.

nicko18
21st March 2012, 11:39 PM
I was never asked :hmmm

nicko18
21st March 2012, 11:40 PM
I'd like to see the ratio of supporters that can name a player besides Israel Folau

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 04:56 AM
I'd like to see the ratio of supporters that can name a player besides Israel Folau

Considering its a new team full of kids I'd say the ratio wouldn't be high. Goes to show the recruitment of Folou was a master stroke. While I think he'll develop into a decent footballer over time his impact has been off field with the interest he's generated.

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 05:00 AM

If you're a member you would have put a code into the system to get the members discount. Not sure how they distinguish who non members will be supporting though.

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 05:08 AM
So according to your blessing, it's OK to follow other codes BUT you can't support a 2nd AFL team in Sydney?

Your comments on Sheedy and the west are without proof and the Swans have had how many years to build a supporter base?

It seems that a lot of people just don't get where the real enemy is hiding. A well run NRL is more dangerous to the the health of AFL in this city than GWS is.

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 05:19 AM
x2!

Anyone who believes a successful second team in Sydney is a bad thing is a big arsehat.

Anyone who thinks that boycotting their games is a good idea is Kyle Sandilands, who is both an arsehat and Kyle Sandilands.

Whilst I don't dislike those sorts of people, I like everyone else much more.

See you Saturday. Go Swans!

(clap)

"arsehat" - never heard that expression before but I like it. :)

Yuri H
22nd March 2012, 07:48 AM
The 2 articles linked to in this post are from the Daily Telegraph and the Blacktown Advocate. Not surprisingly, both of these are owned by News Corp and to me they read like unashamed advertising to generate interest in the game, rather than anything resembling journalism. We know that News Corp's influence in rugby league becomes much less now that they've handed control over to an independent commision. I'd strongly suspect they anticipate this will lead to lower NRL-related revenues in the future because they can no longer influence the official NRL media messaging, scheduling, etc. So they are ramping up their support for AFL in Sydney to counter this. Hence, they REALLY need GWS and AFL in western Sydney to succeed (as does the AFL as they are reportedly investing $150M into it). With such a vested interest, I can't take much of what the articles say too seriously.

So Murdoch's dark minions support GWS? I may be one of those traitorous not-a-real-fans who actually welcomes GWS to the scene and likes the idea of multiple teams in Sydney, but ... Murdoch's shroud of evil embracing the Giants? THE RIVALRY'S ON.

Adelaide Swan
22nd March 2012, 08:10 AM
It seems that a lot of people just don't get where the real enemy is hiding. A well run NRL is more dangerous to the the health of AFL in this city than GWS is.

The real enemy is GWS.

Fair dinkum, I've followed this club and the game for nearly 20 years and never have I seen a set of supporters be so welcoming to a club who should be the arch enemy.

I highly doubt West Coast Eagles supporters welcomed Fremantle in 1995 or the Adelaide Crows fans welcoming Port in 1997.

Adelaide Swan
22nd March 2012, 08:19 AM
Anyway, I am not here to argue with you.

I am here to talk about the game on Saturday.

I urge all of us to get out there and support the boys this weekend.

Cheer Cheer the Red and the White!

jono2707
22nd March 2012, 08:32 AM
If the NRL entered another team into Melbourne now, I think Melbourne Storm supporters would be roughly divided into three different camps:

i) Those who are happy to have another team as they feel it will help grow NRL in Melbourne
ii) Those opposed to the new team as they feel it will diminish the fan base and resources available to the Storm
iii) Those who think the market for NRL in Melbourne is not sufficiently developed to support a 2nd team, and whilst interested in the new team, feel that that team will ultimately fail due to lack of traction in the market.

If I was a Melbourne Storm supporter in Melbourne I would fit into category 3.

Like putting a 2nd NRL team in Melbourne wouldn't be a good idea as the market is not yet ready, I feel the same here in Sydney with the AFL. I know the AFL talk a lot about money and timeframes but this is a business and they are here to make money - I wonder how long they will really give GWS if it doesn't work.

I am not wishing ill on the new team or on AFL in Sydney, and I wish it was much bigger and more popular, and I hope it will be one day. I would like to see GWS succeed without any negative impact on the Swans - I am just pessimistic about this actually happening.

But I will be there on Saturday to show the AFL who the real supporters are and who the real team in this town is - Go Swans!

Adelaide Swan
22nd March 2012, 08:47 AM
If the NRL entered another team into Melbourne now, I think Melbourne Storm supporters would be roughly divided into three different camps:

i) Those who are happy to have another team as they feel it will help grow NRL in Melbourne
ii) Those opposed to the new team as they feel it will diminish the fan base and resources available to the Storm
iii) Those who think the market for NRL in Melbourne is not sufficiently developed to support a 2nd team, and whilst interested in the new team, feel that that team will ultimately fail due to lack of traction in the market.

Like putting a 2nd NRL team in Melbourne wouldn't be a good idea as the market is not yet ready, I feel the same here in Sydney with the AFL. I know the AFL talk a lot about money and timeframes but this is a business and they are here to make money - I wonder how long they will really give GWS if it doesn't work.

I am not wishing ill on the new team or on AFL in Sydney, and I wish it was much bigger and more popular, and I hope it will be one day. I would like to see GWS succeed without any negative impact on the Swans - I am just pessimistic about this actually happening.

But I will be there on Saturday to show the AFL who the real supporters are and who the real team in this town is - Go Swans!

Very well said Jono.

Cheer Cheer the Red and the White.

DamY
22nd March 2012, 08:49 AM

+1

Cheer Squad
22nd March 2012, 08:55 AM
I I would like to see GWS succeed without any negative impact on the Swans - I am just pessimistic about this actually happening.

It would not surprise me if GWS ends up having more members based in Sydney than the Swans.

Ruck'n'Roll
22nd March 2012, 09:00 AM
I wonder if the Sydney market proves too hot for the Giants, whether they might see Canberra as a PlanB? Or would the AFL not think that negatively?

jono2707
22nd March 2012, 09:35 AM
I wonder if the Sydney market proves too hot for the Giants, whether they might see Canberra as a PlanB? Or would the AFL not think that negatively?

To me they are already looking at Canberra as a Plan B - that's why they're playing some games down there.

And CS - well and good if GWS' members outnumber ours in a few years - as long as our membership is up on current numbers as well. It will be interesting to see what happens there...

dimelb
22nd March 2012, 09:44 AM
The real enemy is GWS.

Fair dinkum, I've followed this club and the game for nearly 20 years and never have I seen a set of supporters be so welcoming to a club who should be the arch enemy.

I highly doubt West Coast Eagles supporters welcomed Fremantle in 1995 or the Adelaide Crows fans welcoming Port in 1997.
Sure GWS is the enemy, but I hope we go about it in the right spirit. I wouldn't want to see the new setup here in the way some Eagles supporters see theirs (the Freo lot seem a bit more civilised), and I certainly don't want to see the poisonous stuff that goes on between Port and the Crows.
Incidentally, our cheer squad is giving GWS a hand with their first banner - that's the sort of spirit I mean.

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 09:54 AM

While I disagree with you this is well thought out post and I understand where you're coming from.

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 10:10 AM
Sure GWS is the enemy, but I hope we go about it in the right spirit. I wouldn't want to see the new setup here in the way some Eagles supporters see theirs (the Freo lot seem a bit more civilised), and I certainly don't want to see the poisonous stuff that goes on between Port and the Crows.
Incidentally, our cheer squad is giving GWS a hand with their first banner - that's the sort of spirit I mean.

We need a lot more of this kind of spirit. We want our great game to prosper in Sydney and if it does that, both clubs will be the beneficiary. It boggles the mind that people who want GWS to fail just don't get that the failure will hurt the game in NSW and guess who that will hurt as a result.

Quote: "Be careful what you wish for, it might come true"

I'm a Swans fan and an AFL fan. It's my fervent belief that GWS will be an important ally against the real enemy of the AFL in Sydney and that is a well run NRL competition. The independent commission has already made some great decisions so the AFL, GWS and the Swans need to get it right otherwise they'll be steam rolled by the NRL.

Untamed Snark
22nd March 2012, 10:12 AM

Just got a call from him myself, sounded almost pre recorded!:hmmmm2:

jono2707
22nd March 2012, 10:20 AM

I think that's awesome - big ups to the cheer squad people....

Regardless of what people think of GWS, and there are lots of views expressed here, as an avid follower of a lot of different sports, that's the sort of stuff I always love to hear...

Danzar
22nd March 2012, 10:41 AM
And after causing the complete collapse of the AFL, the GWS Giants will proceed to take all of our jobs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

Swansongster
22nd March 2012, 10:48 AM
How? I don't have a ratings box (please don't tell me you think that they measure all the people who watch tv at any one time).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect that if you have a digital TV (or a set-top box), they know exactly when you turn on your telly and what you are watching every minute of the day.

Meanwhile, I am totally agog that any fan would not go to an away game just to spite the home team. I am travelling to Sydney for the game just to see my team. Really looking forward to a new season. Is my attendance at every possible game in Melbourne disloyal because it is an away game for the Swans? Perish the thought.

Adelaide Swan
22nd March 2012, 10:55 AM
We need a lot more of this kind of spirit. We want our great game to prosper in Sydney and if it does that, both clubs will be the beneficiary. It boggles the mind that people who want GWS to fail just don't get that the failure will hurt the game in NSW and guess who that will hurt as a result.

Quote: "Be careful what you wish for, it might come true"

I'm a Swans fan and an AFL fan. It's my fervent belief that GWS will be an important ally against the real enemy of the AFL in Sydney and that is a well run NRL competition. The independent commission has already made some great decisions so the AFL, GWS and the Swans need to get it right otherwise they'll be steam rolled by the NRL.

How is league the enemy to the AFL?

That is pure rubbish.

League has been a part of the Sydney landscape for over 100 years.

AFL has only been here for 30 years.

CJK
22nd March 2012, 11:05 AM
If only there was a time when the Swans were the only AFL club in Sydney, without GWS, we could have seen if they were able to survive without them.

If only!

jono2707
22nd March 2012, 11:13 AM
Meanwhile, I am totally agog that any fan would not go to an away game just to spite the home team. I am travelling to Sydney for the game just to see my team. Really looking forward to a new season. Is my attendance at every possible game in Melbourne disloyal because it is an away game for the Swans? Perish the thought.

I think most of the non-attendees on Saturday night will be due to general empathy, rather than spite. I don't think many people in Sydney care enough to be that spiteful...

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 11:31 AM
Hi All

I have been following this thread for a while.

I have to say i am really disappointed at my fellow swans supporters. Now it seems great to lend a hand to a new upstart but i find it insulting that few are boasting and chest thumping at going to the game on Saturday night to support GWS and not the swans. I cannot fathom this attitude at all. Maybe its a sydney thing as i am a Melbourne base swan but in my clique we are bitterly disappointed, after i had mentioned what the sydney based supporters are doing, we honestly feel that the swans should not bother anymore with those who have decided to jump ship. To even think about going to this game in your orange tops is purely and utterly disgusting. They, the new rich kid in town, do not want your support! Sure they will gladly take your money (which could go so far in buying another membership at the swans) but in no way are you their priority. Plus you are giving the AFL a false sense of numbers as they need new support!

If you really want to do something for the code..then buy a niece, nephew, god son or any kid you want..buy them a GWS pack..but in no way don't decide that its great to have a foot in each camp and that you are doing the AFL a favour. You are essentially creating problems for the swans with your selfish attitude. This is about the club and not the individual. We dont want the Bas type supporters at the swans!

[bit deleted]

I seriously am gob smacked..really am.

I just hope that in 5 years time our membership doesn't dive and GWS increases.

[Bit deleted] Sorry i just had to sign up and contribute to this worrying debate.

Swannies should come first and foremost to all swan fans. GWS and Sheedy can go and get stuffed.

wolftone57
22nd March 2012, 11:36 AM
CJK I am going and I am doing it on public transport so what is your excuse for not going? I have several health issues as well including arthritis but I still go and follow my team. And Jono it is apathy that they have I know the two words are easily mistaken.

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 11:48 AM
CJK I am going and I am doing it on public transport so what is your excuse for not going? I have several health issues as well including arthritis but I still go and follow my team. And Jono it is apathy that they have I know the two words are easily mistaken.

I have to say Wolfie if I had to rely on Public Transport to get to ANZ from the MacArthur region I'd have to think twice about attending so kudos to all who catch PT to these games.

AnnieH
22nd March 2012, 11:48 AM
Great first post WeHaveTheGoodes.

GWS and Sheedy can go to hell in a hand basket.

Greed has driven the forming of a new team in Sydney.
I can't wait for them to pump $220 million into it; then watch it fold.

desredandwhite
22nd March 2012, 11:49 AM
I have been following this thread for a while.

I have to say i am really disappointed at my fellow swans supporters. Now it seems great to lend a hand to a new upstart but i find it insulting that few are boasting and chest thumping at going to the game on Saturday night to support GWS and not the swans

Wehavethegoodes, while I admire the passion you are showing, I thought your post was a little puzzling. I've followed this thread for a while now and I don't see a lot of people "chest thumping" or "boasting" about supporting GWS at this weekend's game. Maybe Bas and one or two others have mentioned they have GWS membership as well as Swans membership, but that's about it.

I know a few people who have taken out memberships in both clubs because they are a fan of footy and love going to live games. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are you going to ban people from taking out Swans memberships because they are also GWS members?

Quite simply, the club needs every member it can get. Die-hards, people who love footy, other clubs' supporters who live in Sydney and want their live footy fix etc etc. Different people have different levels of support. One person might be only Swans, the next might support 2 or 3 clubs, the next might just support AFL footy in general. I would be disappointed if any of them were made to feel any less welcome because of that choice.

Mr Magoo
22nd March 2012, 11:53 AM
Im not going because Im going to a 40th bday. But to stay loyal to the cause and because its fancy dress , Im going as Warwick Capper.

I gotta say I am little surprised that any swans supporter would go along and support GWS just because its their home game. While GWS might become my second team , theres no way I would ever support any other team over the Swans.

They seriously have started with a lack of credability when you just look at their number one ticket holder. Raised, schooled and lives in the heart of the north shore and you could probably count on one hand the number of times she has been been west of ryde (although breakfast point isnt west of ryde either , so the same probably applies to half the GWS team). Would have been far more credible to have someone who at least grew up in the western suburbs of sydney, than someone who six months ago was attending swans functions.

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 11:59 AM
Wehavethegoodes, while I admire the passion you are showing, I thought your post was a little puzzling. I've followed this thread for a while now and I don't see a lot of people "chest thumping" or "boasting" about supporting GWS at this weekend's game. Maybe Bas and one or two others have mentioned they have GWS membership as well as Swans membership, but that's about it.

I know a few people who have taken out memberships in both clubs because they are a fan of footy and love going to live games. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are you going to ban people from taking out Swans memberships because they are also GWS members?

Quite simply, the club needs every member it can get. Die-hards, people who love footy, other clubs' supporters who live in Sydney and want their live footy fix etc etc. Different people have different levels of support. One person might be only Swans, the next might support 2 or 3 clubs, the next might just support AFL footy in general. I would be disappointed if any of them were made to feel any less welcome because of that choice.

No GWS are not in a position like other upstarts. They are essentially the AFL new kid who has been born into riches. They will have plenty of time and money thrown at them to build up support, unlike many of the other new teams in the past 30 years.

And yes there have been mentions of GWS jumping and they have been smug. Anyone who has decided to contest this attitude has been welcomed with scorn. You know i love my swans but there seems to be a real smugness in some swans supporters who post here.

I for one would like too see this GWS jumpers hand in their swans memberships for there GWS. We don't need them at all. They can be replaced by true die hards who know what a real rivalry means.

When Carlton were going bust nearly 10 years ago you didnt see collingwood fans buy sympathy membership nor bomber fans. The attitude was "stuff 'em". It just doesnt happen!

The only team people have felt sorry for were the roos..and after a year those sympathy memberships disappeared.

CJK
22nd March 2012, 12:00 PM

My excuse is that I'm part of the secret SCG lobby

*secret handshake*

In all honest I'm not going because;

Crap ANZ Stadium
Crap ANZ beer
Crap ANZ location
Miles from the Darlinghurst Tap House
Crap game
No one to go with
Can't really be botherd

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:05 PM
My excuse is that I'm part of the secret SCG lobby

*secret handshake*

In all honest I'm not going because;

Crap ANZ Stadium
Crap ANZ beer
Crap ANZ location
Miles from the Darlinghurst Tap House
Crap game
No one to go with
Can't really be botherd

I went to ANZ once and really it is the pits. Even if we get 30k there it will be souless.

I went to the infamous swans vs roos final and it was the worst atmosphere i have even experienced at a game of rules.

Plus its no ones home ground..its only purpose is too make the AFL money at the detriment of our home ground advantage.

desredandwhite
22nd March 2012, 12:05 PM
there seems to be a real smugness in some swans supporters who post here.

Examples?

We don't need them at all.

Disagree. As I mentioned before, the club needs EVERYONE it can get. If you cut out everyone but the die-hards, I would guess our membership would drop by a third, easily.

They can be replaced by true die hards who know what a real rivalry means.

Replaced just like that eh? I'll pick up a couple at Coles on my way back from work then.

As I said, I admire the passion you're showing, and I do agree with some of your points - but I simply don't believe we can afford to be choosy about who we "allow" to support the club.

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 12:08 PM
Can you tell me who is leaving the Swans to join GWS. I know many with joint memberships (I'll probably be the same but my Wests Tigers membership takes priority) but I know of no one who has stopped being a Swans member to join GWS.

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:09 PM
As I said, I admire the passion you're showing, and I do agree with some of your points - but I simply don't believe we can afford to be choosy about who we "allow" to support the club.

But we can afford to allow them to buy GWS memberships! Flawed logic is flawed!

Must be a Sydney thing because i really can't understand why that GWS membership cant be another swans membership instead!

Matt79
22nd March 2012, 12:10 PM
He should buy a second swans membership. That money should go to the swans, not a rich upstart who don't really care about his support.

It's simple i dont know why you have complicated things.

Welcome to RWO WeHaveTheGoodes...

However, I am with Des...your post contradicts what you have been saying!

You probably have read my post previously but I am keen to get your view on my position...
*My background - Only missed 4 Swans' homegames since 1982 (I was 3 then), I travel interstate 3-5 times year plus every final to watch my beloved Swans and pay a premium for my Ultimate11 membership for my wife and I. So I am sure you can see that I am as committed and passionate about the Swans as anyone*

With that background in mind... on top of my Swans' membership this year I got an AFL membership which gets me into games in Melbourne. I also had to nominate a club to which I can get entry into their home games too. Now, I have a swans membership so I already get into all our games. So common sense would say that I would get GWS support on the AFL membership so I can get into their home games up here in Sydney. This is SAVING me my hard earned $$$$. I love AFL and will go to some GWS games to watch AFL! Would I wear their colours...no!

Where does this sit in your thinking?

BTW - I will be there at ANZ on Saturday night in my red and white passionately screaming for the Swans...but my AFL membership is giving me the entry!

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:12 PM
Can you tell me who is leaving the Swans to join GWS. I know many with joint memberships (I'll probably be the same but my Wests Tigers membership takes priority) but I know of no one who has stopped being a Swans member to join GWS.

Well shall see if membership numbers decrease after this season. Not everyone has the cash flow to buy double me,memberships. What if families decide that GWS is the better option? Or what if little johnny decides that he is a giant now and his family follow suite? What about the casual fans?

It's just not worth taking that risk in such a fickle market like sydney! If Sydney was like Melbourne towards aussie rules - ok.

You can gloss it up all you want and justify it until you're blue in the face..but as a melbourne football supporter it does not make any sense in a market like sydney!

Big Al
22nd March 2012, 12:16 PM

Must be a Sydney thing because i really can't understand why that GWS membership cant be another swans membership instead!

Are you serious??

Instead of a GWS membership I should buy a Swans membership. Maybe I could put my eski on the empty chair I guess. I guess those who want to see the 6 games at Skoda will need to sneak in to avoid paying because they won't be able to afford it after buying multiple Swans memberships.

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:17 PM
Welcome to RWO WeHaveTheGoodes...

However, I am with Des...your post contradicts what you have been saying!

You probably have read my post previously but I am keen to get your view on my position...
*My background - Only missed 4 Swans' homegames since 1982 (I was 3 then), I travel interstate 3-5 times year plus every final to watch my beloved Swans and pay a premium for my Ultimate11 membership for my wife and I. So I am sure you can see that I am as committed and passionate about the Swans as anyone*

With that background in mind... on top of my Swans' membership this year I got an AFL membership which gets me into games in Melbourne. I also had to nominate a club to which I can get entry into their home games too. Now, I have a swans membership so I already get into all our games. So common sense would say that I would get GWS support on the AFL membership so I can get into their home games up here in Sydney. This is SAVING me my hard earned $$$$. I love AFL and will go to some GWS games to watch AFL! Would I wear their colours...no!

Where does this sit in your thinking?

BTW - I will be there at ANZ on Saturday night in my red and white passionately screaming for the Swans...but my AFL membership is giving me the entry!

AFL memberships are fine, the most passionate fans take out that kind of membership. And it makes sense to select a local team as opposed to one in another state.

I am more concerned about the ones turning up in GWS colours or the ones buying a direct membership to GWS. Give that money to the swans!

You in now way stated that you are going as GWS fan.

Onwards to victory! :)

desredandwhite
22nd March 2012, 12:19 PM

Nothing wrong with my logic. Whether or not they buy a GWS membership has nothing to do with them buying a Swans membership in the first place.

As long as they are buying a Swans membership, why should you or I or anyone care whether they are ALSO buying a GWS membership? IF I could afford it, and I had a less hectic schedule, I might even have bought a GWS membership myself so I could go to more live games. I go to Melbourne/Brisbane etc for away games, is that also wrong that I am giving money to other clubs? I go to games not even involving Sydney sometimes.

Why can't it be another Swans membership instead? Because buying an extra swans membership will not allow someone to go to extra AFL games locally.

To reduce it to a bad analogy... I would like to buy a hat and a scarf as I would like to keep the sun out of my eyes AND keep my neck warm. Buying two hats does not give me any additional advantage over buying just one hat.

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:20 PM
Nothing wrong with my logic. Whether or not they buy a GWS membership has nothing to do with them buying a Swans membership in the first place.

As long as they are buying a Swans membership, why should you or I or anyone care whether they are ALSO buying a GWS membership? IF I could afford it, and I had a less hectic schedule, I might even have bought a GWS membership myself so I could go to more live games. I go to Melbourne/Brisbane etc for away games, is that also wrong that I am giving money to other clubs? I go to games not even involving Sydney sometimes.

Why can't it be another Swans membership instead? Because buying an extra swans membership will not allow someone to go to extra AFL games locally.

To reduce it to a bad analogy... I would like to buy a hat and a scarf as I would like to keep the sun out of my eyes AND keep my neck warm. Buying two hats does not give me any additional advantage over buying just one hat.

Again its this sydney attitude i don't understand. We are raised very differently down here. GWS is the enemy not our friend.

desredandwhite
22nd March 2012, 12:21 PM
This is an interesting thread, with many bizarre and varied points of view. However, it is distracting us from the real discussion: How many records we can break with a big win over GWS on Saturday!

Matt79
22nd March 2012, 12:23 PM
This is an interesting thread, with many bizarre and varied points of view. However, it is distracting us from the real discussion: How many records we can break with a big win over GWS on Saturday!

Des, I am also interested to hear what people would think is a 'good enough' win? I suspect a win by 4 goals or less will still be disappointing in many people's eyes. Personally I hope for a minimum 10 goal win.

Swans by 75!

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:25 PM
Great first post WeHaveTheGoodes.

GWS and Sheedy can go to hell in a hand basket.

Greed has driven the forming of a new team in Sydney.
I can't wait for them to pump $220 million into it; then watch it fold.

Yeah it's nothing but greed by vlad and his yes men. Vlad is on a KPI bonus..he needs to establish this second team in sydney, which he has so the TV rights can go into billions, which he has managed to do. He needs this so his salary can jump a mil and his wife can buy that 4000 dress she has been eyeing out and so Andy can expand his already huge girth by going to expensive nosheries in brighton.

That multi million dollar pad in toorak doesn't pay for itself you know.

I just hope its not to the detriment of my swans.

Swansongster
22nd March 2012, 12:26 PM
@WeHaveTheGoodes I disagree with your opinion and struggle to see any logic in it but I respect your right to have that opinion and voice it illogically.

Big Al
Again its this sydney attitude i don't understand. We are raised very differently down here. GWS is the enemy not our friend.

No they're not and if you understood the Sydney market you would realise this. You do realise who the enemy of the AFL in Sydney is don't you and why the AFL put a team out west where there is 2 million people and a lot of corporate dollars to go around??

Wazza

Logic is simple and sound, IF GWS are successfull AFL in NSW will grow and become even more successfull, this will equate to greater resources and access to elite programs for NSW juniors. You must know if you are involved at Junior level how hard it is for clubs to maintain numbers above u/14 level, Ive coached u/16 and u/18 and I know how hard it is to find then keep juniors.

I luv Swannies but for the health and continue sustained growth of the game in NSW GWS must succeed, the game must grow, so the game can grow or something like that:hmmm

I dont think its fair of you to take pot shots at RWOers who understand and believe this is what will help the game grow in NSW. It will not grow at the same rate or intensity if we rely on the Swans solely and make no mistake the AFL needs the game to be successful in NSW for future television rights and sponsorships.

Sorry not trying to have a huge dig at you but there are many here who hold the interest and growth of AFL in NSW particulary juniors as a High priority.

Cheers

Waz

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:28 PM

I am a bit cynical about the game. I really think we will win by a few goals. Unlike the GC, GWS need a good showing in the first game and a defeat by more than 10 goals will not please the fat control at all. So don't be surprised by a lot of questionable frees given by GWS in front of goal to reduce the final margin.

I am expecting the final result to be 10 goals plus..by the cynic in me says otherwise.

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:29 PM
No they're not and if you understood the Sydney market you would realise this. You do realise who the enemy of the AFL in Sydney is don't you and why the AFL put a team out west where there is 2 million people and a lot of corporate dollars to go around??

The biggest enemy in Sydney are sydneysiders themselves who only turn up in big numbers when they feel like it.

Not the other codes. I support the storm and NRL and have nothing against it unlike a lot of my fellow afl fans.

Dosser
22nd March 2012, 12:29 PM

No, it's not just a Sydney thing. Something similar happened here in Melbourne a couple of years ago when it looked like Norf was going down the tubes. I know of MANY die-hard opposition supporters here who took out a Norf membership for the season - not because they had become Norf supporters, but because they wanted to see the club and the competition remain as is. Just because they had dual memberships for the year didnt mean they supported their own team any less, but simply that they appreciated that Norf needed to be there as well (probably so that they can continue to belt them on match day). Yes, this skewed membership stats for the year, but it also helped a struggling club keep going.

I see this as similar to what is happening in Sydney. I love my Swans and once upon a time was asked to train with them, so I am passionate. However, I would seriously consider a GWS membership - just for the first year - to help them get up and running. I want to hate them passionately in 10 years time, but I cant do that if they struggle now and are eventually given up by the AFL as a failed experiment.

Guys, we need to keep passionate about the Swans and never let that die, but also give a helping hand - for a limited time! - to GWS to get established.

desredandwhite
22nd March 2012, 12:30 PM
Des, I am also interested to hear what people would think is a 'good enough' win? I suspect a win by 4 goals or less will still be disappointing in many people's eyes. Personally I hope for a minimum 10 goal win.

Swans by 75!

Matt - are we a 2-3 goal a quarter better side than them? Absolutely. 10 goals should be minimum, however I think it is also equally likely that we will pile on a heap of goals in the first half and then cruise to a comfortable 30-40 point win. I want us to set records, but I also know our recent history with putting the opposition to the sword...

WeHaveTheGoodes
22nd March 2012, 12:34 PM
No, it's not just a Sydney thing. Something similar happened here in Melbourne a couple of years ago when it looked like Norf was going down the tubes. I know of MANY die-hard opposition supporters here who took out a Norf membership for the season - not because they had become Norf supporters, but because they wanted to see the club and the competition remain as is. Just because they had dual memberships for the year didnt mean they supported their own team any less, but simply that they appreciated that Norf needed to be there as well (probably so that they can continue to belt them on match day). Yes, this skewed membership stats for the year, but it also helped a struggling club keep going.

I see this as similar to what is happening in Sydney. I love my Swans and once upon a time was asked to train with them, so I am passionate. However, I would seriously consider a GWS membership - just for the first year - to help them get up and running. I want to hate them passionately in 10 years time, but I cant do that if they struggle now and are eventually given up by the AFL as a failed experiment.

Guys, we need to keep passionate about the Swans and never let that die, but also give a helping hand - for a limited time! - to GWS to get established.

And how did that go? The next year the roos where back to square one because those sympathy memberships were dropped!

The GWS don't need a hand! They will be propped up..i don't know why so many of you fail to understand this! :hmmmm2:

Wazza
22nd March 2012, 12:34 PM
Matt - are we a 2-3 goal a quarter better side than them? Absolutely. 10 goals should be minimum, however I think it is also equally likely that we will pile on a heap of goals in the first half and then cruise to a comfortable 30-40 point win. I want us to set records, but I also know our recent history with putting the opposition to the sword...

It will be intersting to see how we approach the game, are we going out to put them to the sword or will we use the game to experiment with our structures. Im not sure but I would think a 20 - 30 point win for 1st game of the season would be a resonable result?

Cheers

waz

liz
22nd March 2012, 12:36 PM
This thread is veering a little too close to the line between what is acceptable and not on RWO. Argue your points passionately, by all means, but please stay away from making it personal, or throwing around the insults. Remember that while you may not agree with someone else's stance (and can post to that effect), you should either a) respect their right to hold their opinion; or b) shut up about it.

I am going to close this thread for an hour or so's "cooling down period". I'll re-open it when I get back from lunch so that the conversation about the upcoming game (minus the personally-directed remarks)

liz
22nd March 2012, 02:15 PM
Thread is now open again for (civil) discussion.

I have deleted any post that had even the merest bit of baiting or sniping at other RWO members. A couple of posts were OK in parts but I couldn't be bothered after a while sorting out the bits that were OK from those that weren't.

I have also deleted any post that quoted a post I had deleted or significantly edited, even if the response was OK. In those instances I have indicated that the reason the post was deleted was due to the quoted post it was responding to, not because there was anything wrong with the post itself. Where the response made sense without the quoted part, I left it. Where it became redundant once the quoted post was deleted, I figured it best just to delete.

If I (or any of the other mods) have to delete or edit any more posts in this thread, infractions will be dished out. Please consider yourselves all warned. We love the passion, whether that is for or against GWS, dual membership, hats, scarves or anything else touched upon in the thread. But baiting of, or insults aimed at, other RWO members will not be tolerated.

Melbourne_Blood
22nd March 2012, 02:31 PM
I would be seriously dissapointed with anything less than a 10 goal win, and slighlty dissapointed with anything less than 14-15. Its a great oppurtunity to start the year off with a siginifcant % advantage, and if we let it slip it could have serious ramifications for where we finish on the ladder. Realistically,100+ points should be what we aim to win by. I guarantee other teams, some probably around or even below our level, will beat them by this margin or more this year. So thats exactly what we should be doing. Particularly when their missing Some senior players.