PDA

View Full Version : Jason Mifsud must go

goswannie14
4th April 2012, 08:42 PM
I cannot believe that an employee of the AFL after stirring up two racial abuse cases in the last few weeks can still keep his job.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afls-jason-mifsud-takes-blame-over-mark-neeld-rumour/story-e6frg7mf-1226317825619

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/close-call-blurs-the-logic/story-fn6bmfa2-1226318014213

Time for the fat comtroller to apply the same rules to his employee that he wanted that person to enforce on the rest of the AFL.

Lucky Knickers
4th April 2012, 08:58 PM
Not sure I agree that there is evidence to support "stirring up" GS14. Nor are these issues ones of abuse IMHO. I would say they are discrimination which is quite different, and a far more difficult issue to address.
The media are absolutely loving this and flogging the story, and don't tell me they don't have an agenda here!
Everything is on the record in this world and everyone involved in the AFL need to learn this.
People need to talk about these issues in a calm and rational manner. Unfortunately the media don't allow that with sensational headlines, unsupported speculation and innuendo.
Demetriou is meeting his obligations as an employer. Mifsud has been given a warning. Why should he be treated any differently or denied the protections that other employees are due under legislation?
I am not aware that Demetriou's pressured the Crows into a decision and that Rendell resigned. He probably pulled the trigger way too quickly and didn't allow workplace mechanisms to take place. All thanks to the media going after stories, this one in particular, with the intelligence and fairness of the Spanish Inquisition.

Nico
4th April 2012, 09:49 PM
Agree GS14. Purely on incompetence. As Dean Rioli said, no one will want to tell him anything for fear of him blabbing it to someone. On listening to the issue on radio for 2 days I have come to the conclusion that he handled both situations poorly and indeed had become carried away with his own importance. No matter what one thinks of Demetriou, he must be seething with this blokes incompetence and couldn't imagine what he must have said to him behind closed doors. There must be incredible pressure on him to fall on his sword given that the media dogs are not going to let the story go away.

It makes you wonder what hasn't come out if Demetriou wasn't prepared to sack him. Appears he believes Mifsud rather than the player who has denied the alleged comments. One wonders at the brown nosing that must go on in the corridors of the AFL.

goswannie14
4th April 2012, 10:14 PM
Agree GS14. Purely on incompetence. As Dean Rioli said, no one will want to tell him anything for fear of him blabbing it to someone. On listening to the issue on radio for 2 days I have come to the conclusion that he handled both situations poorly and indeed had become carried away with his own importance. No matter what one thinks of Demetriou, he must be seething with this blokes incompetence and couldn't imagine what he must have said to him behind closed doors. There must be incredible pressure on him to fall on his sword given that the media dogs are not going to let the story go away.

It makes you wonder what hasn't come out if Demetriou wasn't prepared to sack him. Appears he believes Mifsud rather than the player who has denied the alleged comments. One wonders at the brown nosing that must go on in the corridors of the AFL.It was interesting to hear Matt Rendells take on what he said to Mifsud. It was along the lines of, "If this continues (players needing time out and getting involved in tribal disputes) it may come to the poiint that some clubs would only recruit a player with one white parent". It was a stupid comment, which Rendell himself admits, but it was far from the intent that Mifsud claimed, two months later, he had said. I believe that if Rendell had let the whole thing play out that Mifsud could possibly be now visiting Centrelink.

Incompetent at best, stupid at worst is my take on Mifsud.

This link sums up what Rendell said. Pretty damning on both Mifsud and the AFL.

http://www.upstart.net.au/2012/03/20/sorry-rendell-denies-racist-claims/

Cpt. Kirk
5th April 2012, 11:05 AM
I just don't understand what he was trying to achieve he is meant to be a liason between the aboriginal players and the AFL, information he recieved from a "Source" suggested that neeld was doing the things stated. Instead of doing his job and reporting this to the afl and investigate it further he gave the information to two journalists.

I don't understand why the Matt Rendall situation had to be so public aswell, he has now lost his job publicly instead of educating him.

I think the only action that was available to the afl was to either fire him or change his role within the afl so he can still play a part in the other projects he has worked on(the flying boomarangs) and many others but be without the responsibility of being a liason between the indigenous players and the AFL as that because of his actions is now untenable.

WeHaveTheGoodes
5th April 2012, 01:46 PM
I really don't know whats going on tbh. It just seems that the media is reporting all this as if it was a script handed to them by the AFL to keep any bit of footy on the front page down here in melbourne. I mean this guy misfud is leaking pretty serious info to the media and has been caught out a few times..and the fat controller doesn't want to sack him? Does misfud have pictures of Andy D and the boys on a OS trip to Thailand or something?

And the AFL really need to stop thinking they are government and stop with this social engineering, especially atm with indigenous players.

Doctor
5th April 2012, 03:40 PM
It's just getting worse and worse for Melbourne, check out what the CEO of one of their major sponsors has done.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/melbourne-demons-part-ways-with-energywatch-after-co-founder-admits-making-racist-facebook-remarks/story-e6frf3e3-1226319700174

Lucky Knickers
5th April 2012, 09:55 PM
This is good article on BPL from by Brian Clarke, president of the ARI.
AFL rules football (http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/6154-afl-rules-football)
He makes some good points and steers away from the pyre-building flogs from The Age and The Hun.

wolftone57
11th April 2012, 03:51 PM
I wonder what our Indigenous Brothers and Sisters think about all this? I think the guy is over-zealous. The problem as I see it is he either deliberately or accidentally misquoted Aaron Davey. The fact he passed this information on to a Gossip Columnist (he has no degree in journalism) instead of his bosses is disturbing. I think Mr Mifsud wanted five minutes of fame, well he got it, notoriously. I would rather see Michael Long or Maurice Rioli in the role personally as they have great experience dealing with prickly situations and have great composure. Not only that but either man is followed by his reputation for fairness and honesty.

This bloke might have tried to beat up something out of nothing but he may just have got the wrong end of the stick. The problem is that twice now he has run to the press instead of getting something done in-house to the disrepute of the game. In the second instance the undue disrepute of the game. He should fall on his sword. He is not likely to be trusted by the players again. But on that I would like the opinion of some of the Indigenous supporters to find out how things are shaping up over this stink!

WeHaveTheGoodes
11th April 2012, 05:40 PM
The fact he passed this information on to a Gossip Columnist (he has no degree in journalism)

Do you honestly think that the journos from the age and hun earned their degrees or even remotely use any of the knowledge they learnt?

On this guy..it seems he shot his mouth first and was trying to go for personal glory. The baffling thing is, the afl has not sacked him. Is he Andy D's brother in law? Did he use to kick around with andy d in preston back in the mid 80s? Whats the deal?

WeHaveTheGoodes
11th April 2012, 05:48 PM
This is good article on BPL from by Brian Clarke, president of the ARI.
AFL rules football (http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/6154-afl-rules-football)
He makes some good points and steers away from the pyre-building flogs from The Age and The Hun.

Great article and he really exposes the AFL for what they really are. A corporate bully with agendas to match. But what really got my back up was this:

"However, as the AFL was not the controlling body of the Africa Games they didn?t want to know. They went so far as to threaten any South African players that competed in the Games that they would no longer be eligible for future international honours and any South Africans directly employed by AFL South Africa would face the sack.

Further, I was informed the AFL declined to engage in this goodwill project because they could ?see no commercial return.?

How pathetic and disgusting from such a pathetic organisation. They sure do rule with an iron fist and basically want/need to control all aspects of australian rules football, a game they don't own.

I wish there was a breakaway comp as i am sick to death of the way the AFL thinks its government first and a worldwide corporation all rolled into one second.

Lucky Knickers
11th April 2012, 07:02 PM
It's an interesting situation with control of the game offshore. The story seems particularly to conflict with what we know of Kirky's Odyssey where, fully funded by the AFL, he was sent out to offer his services to the global AFL community.
It makes you wonder whether there was a conflict of interest there in South Africa.

Doctor J.
13th April 2012, 01:30 AM
I wonder what our Indigenous Brothers and Sisters think about all this? I think the guy is over-zealous. The problem as I see it is he either deliberately or accidentally misquoted Aaron Davey. The fact he passed this information on to a Gossip Columnist (he has no degree in journalism) instead of his bosses is disturbing. I think Mr Mifsud wanted five minutes of fame, well he got it, notoriously. I would rather see Michael Long or Maurice Rioli in the role personally as they have great experience dealing with prickly situations and have great composure. Not only that but either man is followed by his reputation for fairness and honesty.

This bloke might have tried to beat up something out of nothing but he may just have got the wrong end of the stick. The problem is that twice now he has run to the press instead of getting something done in-house to the disrepute of the game. In the second instance the undue disrepute of the game. He should fall on his sword. He is not likely to be trusted by the players again. But on that I would like the opinion of some of the Indigenous supporters to find out how things are shaping up over this stink!

That would be a real feat. Maurice died in Dec 2010.