PDA

View Full Version : 150 games for Mr Football

Doctor
6th April 2012, 01:32 PM
Let the tributes begin! A premiership player, and one who is almost certain to be the last one standing at the club in a few years. A man who's gone from an erratic genius, without a clear role in the side, with a huge work ethic and a great team spirit to....well....

From my spot in Bay 29 I can remember his first kick in senior footy like it was yesterday. He collected the ball on centre wing just near the tunnel, ran along the wing, set himself, and kicked a 20 metre scrubbing kick along the ground. We've affectionately referred to him as Mr Football for years, because he can do anything and play anywhere, just not always gracefully! One of my friends even asked him to sign his cap "Mr Football" at last year's fan day, and he did.

In all seriousness, I doubt many of us expected he'd play 150 games, let alone become as important a defender for us as he has been. I think many of us feel that he's playing out of position now, but he's doing what he's asked and trying his hardest as always. Good on ya LRT!!

Jewels
6th April 2012, 02:07 PM
I adore LRT.
I also remember his first game and remember thinking he'd never make 50 games let alone 150 - sooooo glad I was wrong!

Contrary to public opinion, I think we're a better side when he's on the park. More so when he's in the backline of course but even in the forwards, he'll always have a crack, which is the thing sadly lacking from Whites game, which even the most staunchest White supporter must admit.

Meg
6th April 2012, 02:21 PM
Every time I watch the video of the amazing Leo Barry mark that won us the 2005 GF, I chuckle when I see the dazed look on LRT's face as he lies on the ground amongst a pack of about 10 players who had all gone for the ball. It's obvious that for a split second LRT had no idea what had happened. But then you can see him running to join the mob of Swans jumping on top of Barry when the siren goes. Love it!!

Triple B
6th April 2012, 02:38 PM
Also a fan like ^^^

Some people can't look past his awkward style, but I'm honest when I say I'm much more comfortable with the ball in his hands coming out of the back half then I am with Grundy, Mattner or Shaw...

Vonsteinman
6th April 2012, 02:40 PM
I'll never forget the look on his face when, during the lap of honour shortly after the 2005 GF as the team came around directly in front of where we were standing, a group of Swans fans (yes, ok, myself included) started a slow chant of "Hyphen.... Hyphen...".

His face showed total elation. It would be interesting to read his recollection of the day. What it must have felt at half-time when he was pretty clearly the best player on the ground at that point.

The only disappointing thing about this milestone is that he should have already passed it some time ago.

Primmy
6th April 2012, 03:21 PM
Dear Lewie, he does look like a bit of a gallumper, if you don't know him. My fondest memory was the look of almost total embarrassment when he kicked his first goal. That and his first Club Champion dinner when he kept sidling around the perimeter of the goings on, looking like he was just visiting, not involved. I told him that a drop dead gorgeous woman wanted a photo with him (not me, but thanks for asking) and he perked right up, became positively enthusiastic. He also has spent a lot of time since then making sure the older members of the Swans fans are included in the goings on. He is a very kind man.

ScottH
6th April 2012, 03:47 PM
Man I bagged this guy years ago. :redface:

I did speak to him a few years back and apologised to him for my negativity. (Not that he would have read it here.)
He was very gracious and very humble!!
Still not the best footballer in the team, or the game, but certainly does his job!!

Well done LRT!!

Sandridge
6th April 2012, 04:04 PM
He was supposed to be our weak link in the 2005 Grand Final but played well enough to be considered stiff to not get the Norm Smith Medal! Let's hope he makes it to 200!

ScottH
6th April 2012, 04:26 PM
He was supposed to be our weak link in the 2005 Grand Final but played well enough to be considered stiff to not get the Norm Smith Medal! Let's hope he makes it to 200!
He was a ball magnet!! :D

WC left him alone, whether they underestimated him, I don't know, but he certainly got plenty of it.

BSA5
6th April 2012, 06:32 PM
I've always been a fan, even when it seemed every other Swan fan was against him. Go me! Now, it is only just that White shows up my criticism and turns into a superstar. That'll show me! ;)

ShockOfHair
6th April 2012, 09:14 PM
A favourite player. Surely one of the nicest blokes in the league, and the fact that he's just been re-signed shows the club really rates him, too.

Apart from all of the GF first quarter, my favourite Lewie moment is his dummy goal last year. More please Lewie.

wolftone57
6th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Well done Lewie and I think he is one of the nicest of the Swans!! You are the epitome of the spirit of the club. A pity they are throwing you to the wolves and playing you in the ruck. I would love to see you play down back.

Lucky Knickers
6th April 2012, 10:03 PM
Lewie is SO honest. On and off the field.
I have had so many arguments with my bro-in-law (Norf man) who says he's hopeless. At the 2005 GF, he rang me at 1/4 time and said "that useless git is actually playing alright....might get the norm smith".
Well..let's not start that thread again.
He is the loveliest guy who I think pinches himself each week he gets selected.
So well done Lewis. You've been an incredible servant to the red and white and our premiership flag was delivered on the back of your sensational first half on GF day in 2005.
Off the field you are a true gentleman so shake down the thunder Thor!

swanspant12
6th April 2012, 10:14 PM
well done LRT, been a great defender and brilliant bloke. good luck against freo mate

Dirtyburt
6th April 2012, 10:50 PM
One of the most underrated players at the swans. His 2005-6 efforts were pivotal

aardvark
6th April 2012, 10:54 PM
One of the most underrated players at the swans. His 2005-6 efforts were pivotal

Welcome aboard DB. I agree, LRT has always been one of my favourites. Hope he makes it to 200.

Wardy
6th April 2012, 11:02 PM
He's certainly become an integral part of the team. We have seen him go from a kid who looked out of sorts and not real sure to a man who looks right at home now. Well done on yr 150th LRT.

Dirtyburt
6th April 2012, 11:08 PM
Welcome aboard DB. I agree, LRT has always been one of my favourites. Hope he makes it to 200.

Thanks

Danz4
7th April 2012, 02:00 AM
Well deserved to LRT, solid servant of the footy club!

Bindo
7th April 2012, 11:05 AM
We love LRT in our family too! I remember watching his first game when he booted two goals, and commented to my daughter (then 16) that his story (rugby to AFL) would be a good one for the 'Reporter for a Day' section of The Record. She sent a proposal in and got picked to do the story for the Round 21, 2003 issue. She was very nervous at first when interviewing him, but he put her completely as ease and was a true gentleman.

His 2005 grand final game was superb and even though he has had ups and downs since then, he always gives his all for the team. Well done LRT on your 150th game!

satchmopugdog
7th April 2012, 12:32 PM
Brett Kirk has posted on Facebook about this game and how he was next to LRT in the lockers. Kirky didn't say anything about LRT's footbal just how caring and generous he is. A nice insight.

LRT is the only player we have with a Tasmanian connection and this is fairly tenuous as his father grew up here but I'll claim it.

royboy42
7th April 2012, 07:05 PM
You did yourself, your club and your family proud today Lewie...a great game for your 150th..congrats.

CJK
7th April 2012, 07:12 PM
At ANZ once I sat next to this craaazy Cats chick who said LRT only got games as his old man paid the club to do so.

W.T.F.

Captain
8th April 2012, 11:35 AM
Love LRT!

Am proud to have had many run ins on RWO defending him.

swantastic
8th April 2012, 12:03 PM
he was really good yestee and that run down from behind was bloody awsum

Nico
8th April 2012, 12:24 PM
I said a while ago that the only problem with LRT is that he has not been able to string games together over the past few seasons. He has his knockers on RWO he has a lot to offer if he can stay on the park. He clearly showed his versatility yeasterday.

Vonsteinman
8th April 2012, 03:02 PM
Ok, this is drawing a pretty long bow but, lets' be honest it wouldn't be the first or the longest on RWO...

If you refer to the stats section of this site as we have been prompted to do on another thread, down the list of goalkickers you will see LRT with two goals from two attempts. If he can maintain anywhere near this for the season, say 20 or 22 goals at around 80 per cent conversion, I wonder if then he will be recognised as a reasonable option as a part-time forward...

Primmy
8th April 2012, 03:08 PM
At ANZ once I sat next to this craaazy Cats chick who said LRT only got games as his old man paid the club to do so.

W.T.F.I have heard this too. But if it is an accurate statement what the heck. Obviously his old man knew something about his son that the club didn't at that stage (we go back to Rocket don't we....hmmm). Don't care. Love Lewie.

BeeEmmAre
8th April 2012, 06:19 PM
Congratulations to LRT on 150 games. And while the stats may say he only had 12 possessions, I reckon most of them were extremely influential. Kicked a goal and I'd give him five assists off the top of my head. Luffy votes from me.

Lucky Knickers
8th April 2012, 07:33 PM

W.T.F.

Well I'll be first to say it was a wise investment from Mr RT!

Nico
8th April 2012, 07:51 PM
I have heard this too. But if it is an accurate statement what the heck. Obviously his old man knew something about his son that the club didn't at that stage (we go back to Rocket don't we....hmmm). Don't care. Love Lewie.

Have you ever been to Kardinia Park Primmy?

That's where you will see crazy. We love going there to observe the strange beings that inhabit the ground.

RogueSwan
8th April 2012, 09:31 PM
I've always been a fan, even when it seemed every other Swan fan was against him. ...
I was never always a fan but I have always wanted him to do well and prove the doubters wrong. Actually that probably is being a fan.
Hopefully when he does eventually hang up the boots he is remembered for being at great defender not the bit part player has play now.
Gotta love the Hyphen.:clap::adore

Kirkari
8th April 2012, 09:42 PM
Love the Lewis.

ScottH
8th April 2012, 11:12 PM
Love the Lewis.

Who knew??? :D

Goal. Tackle. Mark(s). Ruck clearance. Job well done.

Dosser
9th April 2012, 11:06 AM
I will always remember him dominating a gf.

Kirkari
9th April 2012, 11:13 AM
Who knew??? :D

I am known for my subtlety. Right?

GongSwan
9th April 2012, 11:54 AM
No one plays 150 games by accident. His versatility has been evident for a long time, I seem to reemember him kicking a goal in a grand final, so playing forward is not a new thing for him. He's a no nonsense player who goes about his business and is rock solid in what he does. Nick Davis played some great flashy football for us, but did he do his job every wek? Love Lewie

Triple B
9th April 2012, 01:22 PM
Nick Davis played some great flashy football for us, but did he do his job every week?

Uh oh, anybody got the opener?....

aardvark
9th April 2012, 01:52 PM
Nick got us there but Lewie helped win it for us.

goswannie14
9th April 2012, 01:56 PM
Have you ever been to Kardinia Park Primmy?

That's where you will see crazy. We love going there to observe the strange beings that inhabit the ground.Geelong is a great place to live, but you should have seen the looks we got shopping on a certain Saturday night last year in K Mart!

aardvark
9th April 2012, 02:02 PM
Geelong is a great place to live, but you should have seen the looks we got shopping on a certain Saturday night last year in K Mart!

Ha. Brave or just plain silly? Glad you survived, we can't afford to lose any supporters.

Triple B
16th April 2012, 07:14 PM
Resting up at home post-surgery....

http://twitpic.com/9ag8is

Untamed Snark
16th April 2012, 09:09 PM
Resting up at home post-surgery....

http://twitpic.com/9ag8is

Is that the drill they used for surgery?
No wonder the poor guy looks so sore

ugg
16th April 2012, 09:34 PM
Why was he tool of the week?

stellation
16th April 2012, 10:03 PM
No one plays 150 games by accident. His versatility has been evident for a long time, I seem to reemember him kicking a goal in a grand final, so playing forward is not a new thing for him. He's a no nonsense player who goes about his business and is rock solid in what he does. Nick Davis played some great flashy football for us, but did he do his job every wek? Love Lewie

I really need to check the bat signal, it's clearly on the blink!

Triple B
16th April 2012, 10:41 PM
Nick Davis played some great flashy football for us, but did he do his job every wek? Love Lewie

Uh oh, anybody got the opener?....

I really need to check the bat signal, it's clearly on the blink!

That bat signal was not clear enough???

stellation
17th April 2012, 08:33 AM
That bat signal was not clear enough???
:rofl