PDA

View Full Version : Round 4 - North Melbourne

Cheer Squad
16th April 2012, 10:58 PM
Another intriguing game coming up this Sunday.

North had a narrow loss against the Bombers, smashed GWS to pieces, and broke their run of outs against Geelong with a classy, hoodoo-breaking win. They're in good form.

We've had an easy win against GWS, a very good win against Freo, and a workman-like win against our bunny team, Port Adelaide.

We seem pretty evenly matched, so it should be a great contest, even if we're without Goodes.

I think we will win again. Swans by a couple of goals.

P.S. And I hope it doesn't rain.

AnnieH
16th April 2012, 11:07 PM
Good grief.
I can guarantee another heart attack material game.

Swans by 3.

Melbourne_Blood
16th April 2012, 11:08 PM
We will need to play close to our best for four quarters. The Roos will be full of confidence after that game and if we're a little off I'm sure we will pay the price. I predict another close game, swans by 7 points.

swanspant12
16th April 2012, 11:36 PM
Cant help but think north will get the wood over us. Cmon swannies prove me wrong! I hope we beat north they always play good against us it s***s me up the wall! Sammy has to fire us home :D

Melbourne_Blood
16th April 2012, 11:44 PM
I can't help but think ( not sure if it's wishful thinking, or just daftness perhaps) that the Roos win against the Cats and the subsequent tyre pumping that is going on could perhaps work in our favor for this match. Obviously there's been a lot of hype around the win , and they will be expected to back that performance up. We're getting them in good form, but also with a bit of added pressure now I feel too, of which they probably wouldn't have felt before . Anyway well have to wait and see how they respond to it, but hopefully it's not all that well!

liz
17th April 2012, 01:01 AM
I didn't see the Cats Roos game, but commentary on the footy shows today has commented on how little pressure the Cats applied (most un-Cat like). The Swans need to go in with a mentality to tackle, chase and harass like demons (not Demons) and we may see the handball-happy Roos come a little unstuck. Fortunately the SCG is well-suited to crowding a team up.

Notwithstanding that we'll probably be without Goodes, I think the fact we will have Jack is significant. Wells and Harvey are two players to tag hard because they provide so much of the Roos' drive. Bird has played on Wells before and might be tried this week but possibly lacks the pace if Wells really turns it on. Shaw and Jack are the two players best equipped to take Wells and Harvey. Hopefully Smith will be back to take care of Thomas in the forward line, which frees Rhyce up to run with Wells or Harvey.

If McGlynn misses, either TDL or Harry needs to come in. I wouldn't mind seeing Harry again at the top level, but it would be good to see whether the introduction of TDL to our forward line will provide a little more structure, with another genuine marking target, albeit a shortish one.

The midfield clearance battle will be fascinating. Kennedy (and agianst Port, Parker) was able to work off one ruckman for each of the last two teams - Sandi against Freo and Mummy against Port. This week the ruck contests won't be as clear cut as the two first ruckmen are both highly competent.

We can win but, as already mentioned, only if most of the team plays a good 4 quarters.

Big Al
17th April 2012, 07:50 AM
We'll win!

(cutting edge analysis eh? :) )

jono2707
17th April 2012, 08:26 AM
We'll win if we play a good solid 3 quarters...

ScottH
17th April 2012, 08:46 AM
We'll win if we play a good solid 3 quarters...

We'll win if we turn up for the 3rd qtr.

jono2707
17th April 2012, 09:45 AM
We'll win if we turn up for the 3rd qtr.

Why change a winning formula? :wink:

ScottH
17th April 2012, 09:57 AM
Why change a winning formula? :wink:

Coz it will save us money on heart pills.

msb
17th April 2012, 01:15 PM
I think we will win and win rather comfortably with the game being at the SCG, even without goodesy. I cant take north seriously yet, not even after a fluke win against geelong. Swans by 27.

Dosser
17th April 2012, 01:32 PM
I am a pessimist today. I believe both teams have improved since their nail-biting encounter down here last year, but without Smooch we will find it difficult to shut down their small forwards. Potentially Harvey on Rohan would be a great matchup in our forward line as Rohan may have the pace to counter Harvey's run out of defence and add his own height in a marking contest. Potentially without the drive of Goodes we will struggle, so I think Norf by 13.

Big Al
17th April 2012, 01:35 PM
I am a pessimist today. I believe both teams have improved since their nail-biting encounter down here last year, but without Smooch we will find it difficult to shut down their small forwards. Potentially Harvey on Rohan would be a great matchup in our forward line as Rohan may have the pace to counter Harvey's run out of defence and add his own height in a marking contest. Potentially without the drive of Goodes we will struggle, so I think Norf by 13.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooopoooooooooooooo.....

(some good points though)

Peace
17th April 2012, 01:44 PM
Teddy is NOT to play on Petrie. Last year he kicked 4 goals I think in the first qtr until we put Grundy on him.

Dosser
17th April 2012, 02:22 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooopoooooooooooooo.....

(some good points though)

Al, I feel so dirty for saying it :(

If we spend the last quarter camped in their goalsquare like we did last year, I am going to have a coronary.

Cosmic Wizard
17th April 2012, 08:45 PM
Who have North play again, Essendon, Training Run and Geelong?
Not that impressed really, Geelong was too emotionally down to win, and Essendon is not a top four side.
We should win easy, the only interest is who will replace Goodes.
Let try Tommy Walsh, be dying to see the Irish boy play!

Lucky Knickers
17th April 2012, 08:53 PM
I'm fully confident we can win. Roos were full strength in the NAB cup and we were all over them and we had so many outs.
We can definitely beat them if we are prepared to play tight close marking and harass them.
It's likely to be wet and we have spent almost the entire summer and pre-season training under water.
It's at the SCG where we know how to play.
Excited.

Lucky Knickers
17th April 2012, 08:55 PM
After all that I picked the wrong poll options. Can a MOD fix and vote me Swans by 20-39 please.

Melbourne_Blood
17th April 2012, 08:55 PM
Don't know if Walsh has done enough to suggest he is ready for his AFL debut.