PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name!

Troy G
17th November 2003, 11:54 AM
It's always a sign of the times to check out the first names of the draftee top contenders. This year it's...Brock, Ryley, Kane, Fergus, Kepler and Farren!

Destructive
19th November 2003, 05:42 PM
Names are just getting weirder all the time. And so is the spelling.

NMWBloods
19th November 2003, 07:34 PM
Nothing wrong (or strange) with Fergus.

However, the others...

Then again, look at some other names being used these days - Bylinda, Jaidyn, Jade, Brady...

aflconvert
19th November 2003, 09:09 PM
Names do matter . No wonder Rupert Butheras and Heath Scotland left Collingwood . Definitely not Cwood names more like Carlton , Hawthorn or Melbourne.

Actually they really should be playing Rubgy Union

Destructive
19th November 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Nothing wrong (or strange) with Fergus.

However, the others...

Then again, look at some other names being used these days - Bylinda, Jaidyn, Jade, Brady...

Jaidyn( and all the other ways it can be spelt) is by far the most annoying name out. That is a name which I think does'nt require much of a brain to think of when naming a baby. Whats worse is that it's popping up with monotenous regularity these days.

DaveW
20th November 2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Troy G
Kane Surely you're used to Kane by now with established players like Johnson, Cornes, Munro and maybe others I've forgotten...

Some other unusual first names in this year's draft: Raphael, Llane, Jed.

Originally posted by aflconvert
Names do matter . No wonder Rupert Butheras and Heath Scotland left Collingwood . Definitely not Cwood names more like Carlton , Hawthorn or Melbourne.

Actually they really should be playing Rubgy Union Perhaps Collingwood had to keep under a quota of strange names since they're drafting Heath and Brayden Shaw under father/son.

Sanecow
20th November 2003, 12:51 PM
'taint nothin' wrong with Jed.

BAM_BAM
20th November 2003, 01:51 PM
Kane isn't a newie, he was one of the sons of Adam and Eve, so in theory it should be the 3rd oldest name if you believe in all that, that is:p

JF_Bay22_SCG
20th November 2003, 02:52 PM
It's always a sign of the times to check out the first names of the draftee top contenders. This year it's...Brock, Ryley, Kane, Fergus, Kepler and Farren!

Sounds like actors from "Days of Our Lives" or "Santa Barbara" or something.

Or "House of Bulger II" :rolleyes:

JF

Norris Lurker
22nd November 2003, 01:47 PM
Kepler's an interesting one, especially considering he was born on the day Kepler Wessels quit the Australian Test cricket team. Maybe they had to think of a name in a hurry and it was in the news.

Destructive
22nd November 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
'taint nothin' wrong with Jed.

The name Jed rocks!

dimelb
22nd November 2003, 10:59 PM
Love your little Swan man JF!

Troy G
24th November 2003, 09:04 PM
My nephews names are...Jed, Jessie and Jaspar and are already Auskick naturals in Brissie I'm told so look out in about ten years!

Dpw
28th November 2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
Kepler's an interesting one, especially considering he was born on the day Kepler Wessels quit the Australian Test cricket team. Maybe they had to think of a name in a hurry and it was in the news.

In the background story of Kepler that was put to Keplers farther and on 6pr and yes that was the exact reason for the name as his farther was/is a massive fan of Wessels.

Could'nt see my wife letting me do that.

j s
28th November 2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
Kane isn't a newie, he was one of the sons of Adam and Eve, so in theory it should be the 3rd oldest name if you believe in all that, that is:p
I'd like to know who Cane married to beget the next generation?

j s
28th November 2003, 09:14 AM
Balancing that out there are also Matthew, Mark, Luke (but no John) plus other traditional names like Daniel, Samuel, Simon, Andrew, Michael.

Lot's of Matthews actually - could be a good sign for next year!

There was even another Troy (which is the real reason for your post eh :p )

swan_17
29th November 2003, 01:27 PM
the talk of all these names reminds me of 'Epponnee Rae' from Kath and Kim...
lol :p

Destructive
29th November 2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by swan_17
the talk of all these names reminds me of 'Epponnee Rae' from Kath and Kim...
lol :p

That was a bizarre one eh?