PDA

View Full Version : VFL Round 9: Sydney Swans Reserves v Eastlake Demons

ugg
18th May 2012, 06:27 PM
NEAFL Round 9
Sydney Swans Reserves v Eastlake Demons
Saturday 19th May 2012 1.00 pm
Sydney Cricket Ground

The Reserves return from their trip north with the 4 points in the bag after a stirring away win over the previously top of the table Brisbane Lions Reserves. They will be in a confident mood when they face one of the NEAFL Eastern Conference's biggest improvers this year in the Eastlake Demons. Under the guidance of new senior coach Anthony Bourke, the Demons have had some impressive wins already this season - including triumphs over last year's premiers Ainslie and the might of the UWS Giants in Round 6.

Eastern Conference Ladder
Team|Played|Wins|Losses|Draws|For|Against|Percenta ge|Points
Queanbeyan|6|5|1|0|828|472|175.42%|20
Eastlake|7|5|2|0|759|581|130.64%|20
Reserves|7|4|3|0|959|511|187.67%|16
Hills Eagles|7|4|3|0|770|801|96.13%|16
Ainslie|7|4|3|0|698|743|93.94%|16
{colsp=9}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UWS|6|3|3|0|518|626|82.75%|12
Belconnen|7|1|5|1|662|787|84.12%|6
Sydney Uni|7|1|5|1|547|932|58.69%|4
Tuggeranong|7|0|6|1|547|993|55.09%|2

Past Meetings
R2 Reserves 12.11 (83) defeated Eastlake 4.9 (33) @ Ainslie Oval
After a poor, goalless first quarter, the Ressies regrouped and went on to record a comfortable victory to open the 2011 season in style. Trent Dennis-Lane kicked 3 goals while topup and academy player Kane Murphy was named BOG
Goals: Dennis-Lane 3, Guthrie 2, Murphy 2, Haren 2, Currie, Sumner, Moore
Best: Murphy, Gordon, McNeil, Sumner, McKaigue, Currie

R16 Reserves 15.11 (101) defeated Eastlake 12.9 (81) @ Lakeside Oval
An early start at Lakeside and a small number of listed players (9) proved no impediment to the Ressies who kicked away to a 6 goal half time lead. However the Demons fought back strongly in the 2nd half as the young topups tired only for the Swans to hang on.
Goals: Gordon 3, Murphy 3, Brain 2, Seaby 2, Moore, Heath, Jack, McNeil, Otten
Best: Moore, Seaby, Bevan, Murphy, Gordon, Brain

Recent Form
Reserves
R1 UWS Away WIN 151-34
R2 BYE
R3 Gold Coast Home LOSS 55-91
R4 Ainslie Away LOSS 85-111
R5 Tuggeranong Home WIN 213-41
R6 NT Thunder Away LOSS 90-112
R7 Sydney Uni Away WIN 239-36
R8 Brisbane Away WIN 120-86

Eastlake
R1 BYE
R2 Tuggeranong Away WIN 135-75
R3 Sydney Uni Away WIN 109-82
R4 Queanbeyan Away LOSS 85-121
R5 Mt Gravatt Home LOSS 87-102
R6 UWS Home WIN 103-85
R7 Ainslie Away WIN 109-65
R8 Belconnen Home WIN 131-51

Last Round
Brisbane Reserves 11.20 (86) defeated by Reserves 18.12 (120)
The Reserves travelled to Brisbane to upset the Lions who aided the Swans by being incredibly wasteful in front of goal. The Swans stormed to a 6 goal lead at quarter time and maintained a 4 goal lead at the main break and despite a couple of Lions surges in the 2nd half, confidently withstood the fusillade of shots from Brisbane to win quite comfortably. Mitch Morton continued his goal glut by bagging 8 to complement his 10 the previous week. Captain Jarred Moore dominated the stoppages yet again aided by the taps of big Canuck Mike Pyke

Goals: Morton 8 Walsh 2, Davis, Thurgarland, Spangher, Cunningham, Moody, Bosschieter, Moore, Meredith
Best: Moore, Pyke, Walsh, Cunningham, Biggs, Heath

Eastlake 20.11 (131) defeated Belconnen 7.9 (51)
A good spread of goalkickers proved too much for the Belconnen defence to handle as Eastlake cruised to their 5th victory of the year.

Goals: Taylforth 3, Bruce 3, Wiles 3, Dean 3, Armstrong 2, Maiden 2, Smith, Roulstone, Coward, Mesman
Best: Wiles, Moody, Gray, Maiden, Trew, Bruce

Team List
Listed players
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
1|Mark SEABY|2|2|6|No sugar coating, he was dropped and career looks to be in limbo
6|Tom MITCHELL|2|0|0|His game time will be upped again this week
7|Brett MEREDITH|6|5|3|Despite not being named in the best last week, reportedly had a good game
10|Mitch MORTON|7|30|9|Did a "TDL" in kicking a big bag but not being recognised in the best list!
11|Jed LAMB|7|8|0|Season slowly slipping by.
13|Andrejs EVERITT|1|0|0|In his last appearance ended up playing as the main ruckman after Seaby received the late call-up to replace Mumford (Seniors emergency)
18|Jesse WHITE|2|7|3|Yo-yo-ing between the two grades doing him no favours (Seniors emergency)
19|Tony ARMSTRONG|5|1|6| Playing well but no spot in the back six in the seniors for him at the moment (Seniors emergency)
23|Jordan LOCKYER|3|1|0|Keen to see what role he's assigned
27|Matthew SPANGHER|1|0|0|The highlights package showed a strong mark and lead from the Spang, he's returned in the forwards
28|Dylan McNEIL|7|2|1|Might struggle with game time due to the restrictions on the number of listed players on the field.
33|Jarred MOORE|7|8|26|Picked up his 2nd consecutive BOG this year and has clearly been the best player in the reserves. Leading by example.
35|Campbell HEATH|7|0|12|The most likely candidate to face in-form Demon Aaron Bruce
42|Jack LYNCH|7|5|8|Had trouble with some of the Lions' tall timber last week, will be hoping to bounce back.
43|Eugene KRUGER|5|1|0|Another who could see lesser game time.
44|Harry CUNNINGHAM|6|3|5|Still keeping his name thereabouts with solid performances in the lats 2 rounds
45|Nathan GORDON|5|15|3|Flew to Melbourne last week as the emergency.
46|Shane BIGGS|5|3|2|Earnt his first votes last week.

Changes
In: Seaby (seniors demotion), Everitt(seniors demotion), White(seniors demotion), Gordon (non-playing senior emergency)
Out: Tommy Walsh (seniors promotion), Mike Pyke (seniors promotion)

The strongest reserves lineup of the year and one of the strongest in recent times. The return of LRT to the seniors after his bruised heel and the availability of Nippa after his travelling emergency role swells the number of listed players to maximum allowed of 18. With only 14 allowed on the field at any one time, 4 will spend more time on the bench than usual but will see greater action in the 2nd half when returning players such as Mitchell, Spangher and Lockyer are taken off as a precaution.

Academy Players/Topups
#|Name|Game-s|Goals|Votes|Notes
47|Jackson POTTER|7|2|0|
?|Jack DAVIS|4|1|0|
?|Andrew GULDEN|1|0|0|
?|Lachlan KILPATRICK|1|0|0|
?|James LEWINGTON|1|0|0|
?|Sam NAISMITH|0|0|0|

Changes
In: Gulden, Kilpatrick, Lewington, Naismith
Out: Nathan Bosschieter, Nathan Kenny, Andrew Moody, Paul Sain, Thomas Thurgarland

First appearance of Naismith who is a Swans Academy player.

Reserves leading goalkickers

Mitch Morton 30
Trent Dennis-Lane, Nathan Gordon 15
Tommy Walsh 14

For full list: 2012 Goalkickers - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php/2012_Goalkickers)

Reserves leading votegetters

Jarred Moore 26
Tommy Walsh 16
Campbell Heath, Mike Pyke 12

For full list: 2012 Best Votes - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php/2012_Best_votes)

Eastlake Squad

1. Josh MOODY
3. Mitch FRAIL
4. Aaron BRUCE
5. Hayden ARMSTRONG
6. John VAN MEURS
8. Tim GRAY
10. Ryan BRABAZON
11. Justin MESMAN
12. Aaron WILES
13. Rick STOYANOFF
14. Ben MAIDEN
15. Sam SMITH
16. Max WILSON
17. Myles TREW
21. Scott BODEN
22. Mark KIMBALL
28. Matthew DEAN
30. Tom AYTON
32. Dean ROULSTONE
34. Daniel RYALL
36. Nick PERRY
46. Mitch TAYLFORTH
47. Ben GAYNOR
53. Declan O'ROURKE
56. Callum SANDISON
D COWARD
T RATCLIFFE

In: Ratcliffe, Kimball
Out: Jess JOHNSON

Two familiar names in Aaron Bruce and Ryan Brabazon who were regulars with the Reserves when they were listed with the Swans. Bruce has been in terrific form, being the Demons' leading goalkicker (23) and 3rd overall in the NEAFL Eastern Conference. Brabazon has only recently returned to action in the last month but has already stood out as one of Eastlake's best ball winners in the midfield. Mitch Frail has proved a competent standin in the ruck for their captain Chad Gibson, who hasn't played since Round 4.

Summary
With a strong squad well stocked at all positions throughout the ground, the Reserves will start as hot favourites to defeat Eastlake. However with plenty of players capable of causing damage, do not expect the Demons to roll over and concede defeat easily.

liz
18th May 2012, 06:37 PM
Goody. Something extra to look forward to in this game. The return of Braba to the SCG!

Does anyone know if the cream of the Academy / scholarship players are on RAMS duty at the moment? Does that explain the absence of the likes of Wray, Robinson and Jack?

ugg
18th May 2012, 06:51 PM
Yes there's a training camp in Albury.

aardvark
18th May 2012, 10:24 PM
Looking forward to a full report on The Spang !!

wolftone57
19th May 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks Ugg. I am looking forward to seeing the boys at home today. Following Shane Biggs very closely, he has beautiful balance and delivery. I hope all the boys have a good game and give us a big win.

ugg
19th May 2012, 11:40 AM
Twitter from 1pm @swansreserves
See my sig for link.

Triple B
19th May 2012, 11:54 AM
Finally got a new phone that won't run out of battery by halftime, so I'll also tweet observations like the old days...

stellation
19th May 2012, 12:33 PM
Finally got a new phone that won't run out of battery by halftime, so I'll also tweet observations like the old days...

As someone who uses a work supplied HTC user, I can only assume this translates as "I will not be using a HTC".

rojo
19th May 2012, 01:01 PM
Good to see Campbell Heath's name up there in the leading vote getters. His grit and determination must be first class. I know Tony Armstrong offers something different and is rightly looked at for what he can bring to the seniors but I am wondering where you ressie watchers think CH might fit in. Do you see a future for him if he can remain knee injury free?

aardvark
19th May 2012, 01:39 PM
As someone who uses a work supplied HTC user, I can only assume this translates as "I will not be using a HTC".

I got one of those blasted things too. Its spent more time being repaired than in use so far. HTC never again.

stellation
19th May 2012, 02:19 PM
I got one of those blasted things too. Its spent more time being repaired than in use so far. HTC never again.

Mine is yet to go in for repair, however I suspect that's because it's yet to stay turned on long enough for me to do much to it! ;)

stellation
19th May 2012, 02:21 PM
Are all senior emergencies playing? It sounds like Jesse is.

GongSwan
19th May 2012, 02:27 PM
According to twitter all 3 emergencies playing

stellation
19th May 2012, 02:36 PM
6.3.39 Swans 0.3.3 Eastlakes @ 1/4 time, Seabs with 3.

GongSwan
19th May 2012, 02:45 PM
6.3.39 Swans 0.3.3 Eastlakes @ 1/4 time, Seabs with 3.

Proof positive that anyone with senior experience will dominate against wooden posts

jono2707
19th May 2012, 03:15 PM
Lovely day out here for the Ressies - they seem to be doing it fairly easily at half time. Hope the 1's make it a perfect day out.....

swans_premiers
19th May 2012, 04:24 PM
Another 6 so far from morton.. 36 for the year...surely hie chance will come soon?

jono2707
19th May 2012, 04:36 PM
Another 6 so far from morton.. 36 for the year...surely hie chance will come soon?

He would have to be close... From what I saw, Spang was very good, and we will be seeing a lot more of Tom Mitchell sooner rather than later - a class act...

Reggi
19th May 2012, 04:44 PM
Source BBB spam Spangher very good Mitchell and Morton pressing for selection

swans_premiers
19th May 2012, 04:51 PM
Source BBB spam Spangher very good Mitchell and Morton pressing for
selection

Source... Big bad barry?

ugg
19th May 2012, 04:59 PM
That would be triple b

Interesting game they tried players in different positions. Meredith in defence white and everitt started many centre bounces in the last quarter

jono2707
19th May 2012, 05:08 PM
That would be triple b

Interesting game they tried players in different positions. Meredith in defence white and everitt started many centre bounces in the last quarter

Jesse actually did alright when he was on the ball. Meredith was very effective for the half I saw and would fit back in the 1's quite nicely if ever needed. I also reckon Tom Mitchell would be just fine whenever it's decided to promote him - a run or two as sub would work for him...

Bloody Hell
19th May 2012, 05:31 PM
Score?

ugg
19th May 2012, 05:33 PM
22.12 144 5.13 43

Morton 6 Seaby 4 White 4 Spangher 4 Moore Lockyer Mitchell Kilpatrick

ScottH
19th May 2012, 08:25 PM
2 101 point wins today!!
How likely is that to happen?

ugg
19th May 2012, 08:30 PM
Best: Seaby Spangher Biggs Lewington Meredith Cunningham

...waits for more teeth gnashing re Morton

19th May 2012, 08:58 PM
So Tom Mitchell with 35 quality possessions in 70 minutes of football doesn't get into Besat Players? hmmmmm

He'll be "handy" in the seniors later in the year methinks :-)

ugg
19th May 2012, 09:03 PM
Just to clarify those are the official best players not mine

mcs
19th May 2012, 09:06 PM
So Tom Mitchell with 35 quality possessions in 70 minutes of football doesn't get into Besat Players? hmmmmm

He'll be "handy" in the seniors later in the year methinks :-)

If that is a sign of things to come from Mr Mitchell, all I can say is 'Ohhhhh yeh!!' Looking forward to his debut in the seniors at some stage, which if today's numbers are anything to go by, will not be in the distant future once full fitness is reached.

Nico
19th May 2012, 09:14 PM
Biggs in the best again. What is the mail on his game?

Big Al
19th May 2012, 10:49 PM
While I'm off the Lamb bandwagon for the time being I am well and truly on the Tommy Mitchell bandwagon. The kid is ready made for AFL. Needs a month or so of solid footy to get match fit but hen he must come into serious consideration for a senior debut.

Old Royboy
20th May 2012, 12:32 AM
Mitchell looked like he was under orders not to go too hard, seemed to spend a lot of the game in second gear. The left foot disposal is just to die for, but also servicable on the right. As the big boy said, look out when he gets fit. Tommy Walsh played OK in his debut today, but the Spang has him under a lot of pressure already - he monstered the Eastlake defence. The new toppie #60 looks very interesting - certainly ate his weeties up, must be about 6' 8" at least, but not the awkward gangly type at all.

wolftone57
20th May 2012, 12:33 AM
While I'm off the Lamb bandwagon for the time being I am well and truly on the Tommy Mitchell bandwagon. The kid is ready made for AFL. Needs a month or so of solid footy to get match fit but hen he must come into serious consideration for a senior debut.

I agree Al this kid is good! So fluent in all his actions. He never goes out of step to kick every thing is in one movement and first decision never dithering. His handball rates with Luke Parker's H/B! I love Biggs he is very ballanced. I thought Bret M was good today too. Nipper also. Morton was really clever. Spang and Jesse got some super delivery and who is that kid number 54 he is pretty good for a toppie. I also liked that young ruckman number 60 he taps the ball like Jason ball, soft hands I like that straight down the rover's throat. Mitch must have thought it was his birthday when this kid started palming straight to him and he got five clearances for four goals! All handballs to players moving past toward our goal! So quick I don't think the opposition knew the ball had been palmed off until a goal or point got scored.

wolftone57
20th May 2012, 12:36 AM
That would be triple b

Funnily enough that actually worked. Jesse did a lot of his best work in the last

wolftone57
20th May 2012, 12:54 AM
Mitchell looked like he was under orders not to go too hard, seemed to spend a lot of the game in second gear. The left foot disposal is just to die for, but also servicable on the right. As the big boy said, look out when he gets fit. Tommy Walsh played OK in his debut today, but the Spang has him under a lot of pressure already - he monstered the Eastlake defence. The new toppie #60 looks very interesting - certainly ate his weeties up, must be about 6' 8" at least, but not the awkward gangly type at all.

The kid reminded me of how Jason ball used to palm the ball down. He put it straight down Mitchell's throat so often he must have thought it was Xmas! He used them well too in a 5 minute period we got 4.1 from 5 Mitchell handball that started a run. But the kid in the ruck deserved all the credit for his perfect tap ruck work!

ugg
20th May 2012, 03:26 AM
Very enlightening reading the opinions on this game. Here are my thoughts

Mark Seaby spent less time in the ruck and a little more time as forward especially in the last quarter. He finished with 4 goals, including 3 in the first quarter. Those 3 were more a result of his teammates's great work, including one fifty metre penalty that took him right to the goal line, rather than any dominant forward play by Seabs. A solid performance but not a totally dominant one. His main reliever was not Jesse White as expected, but a young topup #60 by the name of Sam Naismith. Given that he was listed as an Academy player at the start of the season, that puts his age around the 18 mark. ORB's estimate of 6 foot 8 is probably about right juding by his relative height compared to other players. He's not your usual skinny beanpole that we have seen in some past (listed) ruckmen. Anyway, his taps were good (BTW Taubert earnt double keep today, he was giving advice in the quarter time/3 quarter time huddles in both reserves and seniors games to Naismith and Pyke respectively) and provided solid leads but when he had the ball was too slow in his decision making and also seemed hesistant in attacking the loose balls on the ground. While it was an encouraging performance for his first game, I wouldn't go as far as wolfie in suggesting he will be drafted any time soon.

Jesse's performance was disappointing in my eyes, and but for a little patch in the third quarter where he kicked 3 goals in quick succession, he continued to frustrate. Poor late leads which resulted in balls dropping at his feet, too much ball watching and a propensity to get involved in wrestling contests with his man rather than lead out and provide a forward target. He did improve when he was moved into an on-ball role and looks very athletic and impressive when carrying the ball through the midfield but I fail to see how that helps him to develop into the key forward that we all want him to be.

Andrejs Everitt was similarly disappointing, it was hard to pinpoint his exact role but on the wing would be the best description. Floated between the two 50 arcs and seemed to coast from contest to contest. Once in a while he excited us with a strong grab and pinpoint delivery, but this proved to be the exception rather than the norm. In the last quarter we had the weird but strangely enjoyable sight of White and Everitt starting in the centre square alongside the ruckman. We also had the strange occurence of Everitt being the third man up in some ruck contests, which never ever happens at reserves level basically because our rucks are usually dominant in this league. I'm not sure what this role would indicate about the coaches' thoughts about Everitt's future - whether they see him as a wingman or will they continue using him as an utility plugging gaps in the lineup.

Not too much to add to the Tom Mitchell gushing, just would caution that they're still easing him back into it and won't be considered for senior selection for a few more weeks. I do remember there were some scouting reports before last year's draft that questioned his kicking but today illustrated he has penetration and depth on his left foot. Clearance work was excellent as well. The other Mitchell, Mitch Morton finished with another bag (6 today) and again no mention in the best list. While I'm a avowed non-Morton fan, I think this was a rather harsh judgment and I rated this performance much higher than his 10 goals against Sydney Uni 2 weeks ago. There were no cheapies this time around, with some strong leading and marking, great finishing and some superb crumbing highlights of his game today. I can't see him finding a place in the seniors while TDL is in that team, they are too similar in build and style of play.

Matthew Spangher produced an energetic display in the forward line full of high flying leaps, desperate dives on the loose ball and determined chasing. The one thing that I love about Spangher and I'm sure endears him to the coaches is his attack on the ball, whether in marking contests or competiting for ground balls - he's fearless and always shows desperation. When you compare the endeavour of Spangher to some of the insipid contests offered by White and Everitt, if I was a a coach I know without doubt which player I would prefer. Spangher was a victim of some crude defensive spoils late in the last quarter, earning free kicks and converting them. He really pushed up the ground and played out the whole game which is a good sign of his fitness.

Jarred Moore played in the midfield less, and roamed around half-forward more. He found the ball regularly and used it well but was not as dominating as he has been. Again very efficient in his decision making and finding the open man when delivering the ball inside 50 and would have finished wilh multiple assists to his name.

Brett Meredith started on the bench and only came on late in the first quarter. He moved to the backline after the quarter time break and proceeded to provide good run off the half back flank whilst playing quite loose on his man. He was never troubled defensively so this role worked out quite well for him. A lot of work is being put into Harry Cunningham in making him an inside mid. Today his main task was to follow Ryan Brabazon around, in an attempt to counter his running game. He did well in this regard keeping Brabazon quiet and managed to win some clean clearances of his own accord.

Campbell Heath had the job on Aaron Bruce and Bruce had a few telling touches near the end of the first quarter which set off some consternation amongst the Swans coaches at the quarter time huddle with first Crouchy then Maxfield having extensive one-on-one talks with Heath involving some arm waving and body positioning. Bruce was kept under wraps from then on, and Heath even had the luxury of starting the 2nd half on the bench before being called upon when Eastlake enjoyed the most dominant spell of the game in that first 10 minutes of that half.

Whilst Jed Lamb didn't have a sparkling game, there were a few promising signs that suggest he is slowly turning the corner. He was a lot more competitive than at the last home game, and his ball use was more considered and less erratic. He hurt his shoulder in a marking contest during the 3rd quarter, went off and was looked at, came back in that same quarter but was still being checked out by the medicos in the last. Shane Biggs - neat player predominantly in the back half during the first half and moved in the midfield during the re-shuffle in the last quarter. A smart player who links up well with players around him.

Following up a week's rest as the non-playing emergency, Nathan Gordon returned to the side as a midfielder/high half-forward rather than the deep forward position he occupied when kicking 10 against Sydney Uni. Didn't trouble the scorers this time round, and while he got his hands on the pill a fair few times his disposal still lets him down too often.

Jordan Lockyer, Jack Lynch, Dylan McNeil and Eugene Kruger all spent periods on the bench due to the listed players restrictions. Lockyer played more when Tony Armstrong was taken off in the 2nd half as the senior emergency on standby. He showed strong hands in a couple of his marks and was accurate with his handballs. Armstrong instigated a few runs from defence but was relatively quiet. Lynch played mostly in defence, with a late, late spell forward; McNeil in the guts as usual and Kruger a bit further up the ground than the back pocket spot he has been occupying in the past month or so.

Topups - #60 is Naismith as already mentioned. #47 is the regular toppie, Jackson Potter, #51 Jack Davis and #52 Lachlan Kilpatrick I recognise these two from their previous outings. There were only two others #53 and #54 unaccounted for, these belonged to either James Lewington or Adam Gulden. At a guess I would say #54 was Lewington as he was the better player in my eyes at least, and he earnt a mention in the best list. (as an aside, it pisses me off that the scoreboard no longer shows the team lists at half and full time. This was a common practice 5-6 years ago and I don't understand how they can go backwards in this regard. I could be wrong but it feels like this ceased when the new 'improved' scoreboard was installed a few years ago.)

Reserves 6.3 11.5 16.7 22.12 (144)
Eastlake 0.3 2.6 3.12 5.13 (43)

Goals: Morton 6 White 4 Seaby 4 Spangher 4 Moore Kilpatrick Lockyer Mitchell
Best: Spangher Morton Mitchell Cunningham Meredith Biggs

The NEAFL takes a break next week when with the rep games QLD/NT v NSW/ACT at both senior and U21 levels taking place on the Gold Coast. Topup players Jackson Potter and Tim Wales will be playing for NSW/ACT U21s. The competition resumes the week after when the Ressies take on the Gold Coast Reserves as the curtain raiser before the Western Bulldogs game

Ruck'n'Roll
20th May 2012, 09:42 AM
Jessica was doing his usual Jeckyl and Hyde routine. His first half was'nt good, the 3rd qtr involved some goals and at the start of the 4th when he appeared in the middle, I assumed Jared Crouch must be having another one of his surreal midfiled moments (a few weeks ago he had Nipper Gordon taking the taps). But Jessica actually looked impressive and I had to re-assess my thinking. Could Crouchy be trying to emulate the way Worsfold tried Quintin Lynch on the ball for west coast?????????

However to return to reality for a moment:

Spanky was fantastic, best game in the seconds I have seen from him. Appears to be cherry-ripe for selection in the firsts, the only question is ?Where??

Lockyer also looks very good, strongly built, he has good disposal and can mark. More importantly he looks far more interested in what's happening than his predecessor in the number 23 jumper. Someone to watch.

And I agree with ugg regarding Sam Naismith, way to early to start pumping up that kid's tyres.

Primmy
20th May 2012, 10:53 AM
Was impressed with 60, Naismith(?) first airing - good build for a rucky, but not much 'game' sense - yet. Good solid arse, could prove difficult to move off his line if he gets "it" right.

Young Tom Mitchell sure has potential. He also has treetrunk legs. Its all there, makes good decisions and has exceptional response time; I will be happy to watch him develop into what we all think he could be.

Young Harry had his moments both positive and not so positive. Project in progress.

Nipper has me puzzled. I can't work out if he is a Senior in waiting, or a Sheesh!! what are you doing!
Dylan McNeil may have plateaued. Hope not. (I said to someone he is kind of Peter Faulks like at present; which is not flattering - I am used to noting what he is doing in a game, and I barely noticed him yesterday - that may have been me)

Not enough competition in this game to really get a feel for what was actually happening. Mitch Morton could be a good pickup, but there is a reason he is not getting a gig. We have watched TDL blossom, but it has taken a lot of coaching to get him to be more than a one trick pony (ok, kicking goals, but here has to be more to an AFL player's game these days), so I shall be watching how MM develops this year with some interest.

Love watching Armstrong. Not sure why. He is just one of "those" players that grab your (my) attention.

Crouchy looks like he knows what he is doing. He'd make an interesting senior coach one day.

Lucky Knickers
20th May 2012, 11:37 AM
The thing that stood out for me was how much Mitchell resembles ROK from behind.
Got some junk in his trunk.
He is going to be great!

R-1
20th May 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm wondering if maybe we're still <s>beating the selfishness out of</s> inculcating the gameplan and culture into Morton.

DamY
20th May 2012, 12:29 PM
The thing that stood out for me was how much Mitchell resembles ROK from behind.
Got some junk in his trunk.
He is going to be great!

Oooooh I think I just found my new favourite player

wolftone57
20th May 2012, 12:34 PM
Jessica was doing his usual Jeckyl and Hyde routine. His first half was'nt good, the 3rd qtr involved some goals and at the start of the 4th when he appeared in the middle, I assumed Jared Crouch must be having another one of his surreal midfiled moments (a few weeks ago he had Nipper Gordon taking the taps). But Jessica actually looked impressive and I had to re-assess my thinking. Could Crouchy be trying to emulate the way Worsfold tried Quintin Lynch on the ball for west coast?????????

However to return to reality for a moment:

Spanky was fantastic, best game in the seconds I have seen from him. Appears to be cherry-ripe for selection in the firsts, the only question is ?Where??

Lockyer also looks very good, strongly built, he has good disposal and can mark. More importantly he looks far more interested in what's happening than his predecessor in the number 23 jumper. Someone to watch.

And I agree with ugg regarding Sam Naismith, way to early to start pumping up that kid's tyres.

All I am saying is he could be one to look at when it comes to draft time. We should be looking for a young ruckman to replace Seabs who is getting to the end of career. Pykie is also 28 this year so not too many left either. A young ruckman will be needed sooner rather than later. If this kid has been at the academy he has been indoctrinated to the Swans Ethos! We'll see next year a rookie list player to develop even!

wolftone57
20th May 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm wondering if maybe we're still <s>beating the selfishness out of</s> inculcating the gameplan and culture into Morton.

Possibly but he played well yesterday. He competed for everything. In the first half Jesse seemed a bit disinterested but came into it toward the end of the second. There was something I noticed, when we kicked the ball in we always used the members stand side going to the Paddington end and it was predictable. We did this for half a quarter until they decided to break it up going down the other side and up the guts.

ugg
20th May 2012, 02:03 PM
All I am saying is he could be one to look at when it comes to draft time. We should be looking for a young ruckman to replace Seabs who is getting to the end of career. Pykie is also 28 this year so not too many left either. A young ruckman will be needed sooner rather than later. If this kid has been at the academy he has been indoctrinated to the Swans Ethos! We'll see next year a rookie list player to develop even!

I can understand your enthusiasm with Naismith given his size makes him standout in relation to the other topups. All I'm saying is he still has a long way to go in his development, and we haven't had a great track record with developing ruckmen that we have drafted either. Currie, Meiklejohn, Ericksen, Earl Shaw all come to mind.

dimelb
20th May 2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks to ugg, Primmy, R'n'R, Wolftone and all who have commented. Much appreciated south of the border.
A thought: people sometimes say there isn't a place for Morton while TDL is in the firsts. I wonder whether the one at risk might be McGlynn, especially given the way the coaches seem to be encouraging TDL to spend more time around the centre. And (I rely on the ressie watchers here) I get the impression they are doing the same thing with Morton.

Ruck'n'Roll
21st May 2012, 12:46 PM
Hi Di,
Morton's first few games were played up the ground (even the backline), but his purple patch of reserves form have co-incided with his appearance in the forward line. ATM he's playing closer to goal than TDL has this year.
PS
For those interested in the Swans ruck stocks, apparently young Currie is doing well in the SANFL

Dosser
21st May 2012, 03:08 PM
Hi Di,
Morton's first few games were played up the ground (even the backline), but his purple patch of reserves form have co-incided with his appearance in the forward line. ATM he's playing closer to goal than TDL has this year.
PS
For those interested in the Swans ruck stocks, apparently young Currie is doing well in the SANFL

Pssst. It's 'Dim', not 'Di'. He's not one of the Swantits...

Ruck'n'Roll
21st May 2012, 03:54 PM
Pssst. It's 'Dim', not 'Di'. He's not one of the Swantits...
I assumed he was a male of Welsh extraction . . . . so what does 'Dim' stand for?

ScottH
21st May 2012, 04:03 PM
I assumed he was a male of Welsh extraction . . . . so what does 'Dim' stand for?

his initials

Ruck'n'Roll
21st May 2012, 04:08 PM
How disappinting, I've gone from imagining a short wiry welshman called Di, to an enormous russian called Dimitry. I may have an overactive imaginination, sorry for any offense Mr D.I.M. (and ta Scott and Dosser)

Big Al
21st May 2012, 04:14 PM
How disappinting, I've gone from imagining a short wiry welshman called Di, to an enormous russian called Dimitry. I may have an overactive imaginination, sorry for any offense Mr D.I.M. (and ta Scott and Dosser)

hahaha... Those of us that have met Dimelb (he's on the "official" RWO table at the B&F) are smiling at the thought of him being seen as an enormous Russian... lol. As an aside, he's one of the nicest blokes you'll ever want to meet.

dimelb
21st May 2012, 04:31 PM
How disappinting, I've gone from imagining a short wiry welshman called Di, to an enormous russian called Dimitry. I may have an overactive imaginination, sorry for any offense Mr D.I.M. (and ta Scott and Dosser)No offence taken, R'n'R, it always raised a chuckle and is something I didn't take into account when I decided on the cybername. So I've tried to clarify with a bit of info under the name.
Thank you in the meantime Dosser, Scott and Big Al.
Incidentally I read on the weekend about a (I think) football coach, a real Welshman named Dai Young. Apparently he's known at the club as "Live Fast".

Dosser
21st May 2012, 04:40 PM
hahaha... Those of us that have met Dimelb (he's on the "official" RWO table at the B&F) are smiling at the thought of him being seen as an enormous Russian... lol. As an aside, he's one of the nicest blokes you'll ever want to meet.

Since when have they been letting nice blokes in here?

Big Al
21st May 2012, 07:04 PM
Since when have they been letting nice blokes in here?

Since Feb 2005 at least. ;)

longmile
21st May 2012, 07:09 PM
Who is Spanky?

Big Al
21st May 2012, 07:14 PM
Who is Spanky?

One of the Teletubbies??

aardvark
21st May 2012, 07:24 PM
Who is Spanky?

Remember the Swantits......

Primmy
21st May 2012, 08:23 PM
Ever entertaining you lot. Yes, and who is Spanky? I can't work it out.

Want to note here that Eugene has started to move around the ground like an AFL player instead of an "athlete". Far more anticipation. Watching his progress.

aardvark
21st May 2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, and who is Spanky?

Spangher.

Primmy
22nd May 2012, 09:55 AM
Spangher. The Strut!!! Nah, sticking with my name for the lad.

aardvark
22nd May 2012, 01:08 PM
The Strut!!! Nah, sticking with my name for the lad.

Isn't "The Strut" Horses other nickname ?

ShockOfHair
22nd May 2012, 01:13 PM
Campbell Heath - what a legend.

On the weekend it was Cambo?s turn to take the pre-game toss of the coin for the reserves game. Cambo lost the coin toss so the Eastlake captain chose his preferred goals to kick to. However, somewhere between where the toss took place and when he went back to tell the rest of the boys Cambo forgot which goals we were kicking to start the game!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/136504/default.aspx

ShockOfHair
22nd May 2012, 06:28 PM
Jarred Crouch on Twitter: "Things I have to deal with being a Coach!!!!"

rojo
22nd May 2012, 06:44 PM
Seems like it is going to be a while before 'Cambo' lives that one down. It must have been very funny to watch them sorting themselves out while the game was in progress. But I am keen to know, how is he going with his footy? Is he looking like he is going to make it to the seniors sometime?

Watching the highlights from the ressies, there didn't seem to be a single spectator - where were all you ressie watchers? I am guessing on the same side as the cameras or still on the way to the SCG.

GongSwan
22nd May 2012, 07:16 PM
What if Jessica had taken teh toss, might have pointed them at the Ladies stand

Melbourne_Blood
22nd May 2012, 07:39 PM
What if Jessica had taken teh toss, might have pointed them at the Ladies stand

I Laughed

Triple B
22nd May 2012, 08:08 PM
Watching the highlights from the ressies, there didn't seem to be a single spectator - where were all you ressie watchers?

Still trying to get to my @@@@ing seat....

Cue Big Al's dead horse picture...lol

Triple B
22nd May 2012, 08:11 PM
But I am keen to know, how is he going with his footy? Is he looking like he is going to make it to the seniors sometime?

I'm very bullish on him.

He wasn't gifted a taste of senior action a few years ago for nothing, the club obviously saw something. He'll be very handy in a few years when Ted, Marty, LRT etc start to wind down the career and retire.

liz
22nd May 2012, 08:49 PM
I'm very bullish on him.

He wasn't gifted a taste of senior action a few years ago for nothing, the club obviously saw something. He'll be very handy in a few years when Ted, Marty, LRT etc start to wind down the career and retire.
If he were on the senior list, I wouldn't be surprised to see him snag a senior game very shortly, particularly if AJ is quite sore. He's been named in the bests for the reserves more weeks than not. But since he is on the rookie list, that might not happen. Rohan's spot is available, but it depends on whether the coaches think they may want to use Harry anytime soon. I think he is technically still elevated but Brown is listed as being only a couple of weeks away from a return, at which point Harry will be back down to the rookie list.

Nico
22nd May 2012, 08:59 PM
If he were on the senior list, I wouldn't be surprised to see him snag a senior game very shortly, particularly if AJ is quite sore. He's been named in the bests for the reserves more weeks than not. But since he is on the rookie list, that might not happen. Rohan's spot is available, but it depends on whether the coaches think they may want to use Harry anytime soon. I think he is technically still elevated but Brown is listed as being only a couple of weeks away from a return, at which point Harry will be back down to the rookie list.

Was thinking about this today. We need to be developing backmen because the likes of Ted, LRT and Marty are getting on a bit. It doesn't appear we have a lot of stocks if we lose a couple of these short term.

SimonH
23rd May 2012, 12:58 AM
Part of the cycle that we've been through before. Your list structure looks good for a few years, and then too many of your 'best 22' players are either near 30, or the wrong side of it, and you run the risk of losing too many of them at once. Happened in 2002, and again circa 2008/9. Ted 29, LRT 28, Mattner 29 all being principally/exclusively backmen does create some slight risk.

Still, the age profile of our list (for a team that's playing pretty reasonable footy, most of the time) is really good at the moment. Jude Bolton, Adam Goodes, Ryan O'Keefe make up the entirety of the contingent the wrong side of 30. We have a solid 13 players in the 'sweet spot' ages of 23 to 26 that you hope will make up the core of your senior group (mature, but not too many miles on the clock).

Campbell Heath should be able to make it, even though he's unlikely to ever be a star, in the same way that Nick Smith made it. Not saying they're identical style of player, but he can fill a need competently, in the same way that Nick Smith fills a need in our 22.

Big Al
23rd May 2012, 09:06 AM
Watching the highlights from the ressies, there didn't seem to be a single spectator - where were all you ressie watchers? I am guessing on the same side as the cameras or still on the way to the SCG.

The important Ressie watchers were in the Brewongle and the rest were in the Trumper and Concourses.

One sec, I've got a knock at the door...

wolftone57
23rd May 2012, 09:29 AM
Wonderful to see highlights from the Two's put up on the Swans site. This means the Melbourne crew get to have a look at the talent coming through even if it is only highlights. It will still give the Melbourne Mob a reasonable idea how some of the newbies play.

Alex Brown should be back playing in a fortnight apparently. By the way I have liked Heath this year so far, he has trouble with some of the Monsters but with normal FF he is really good. I also liked the time Jordan Lockyer spent on the field. He has a pretty safe pair of hands, good delivery and makes pretty good decisions. We probably need to draft one or two Key backs soon as some of our backs are getting on a bit. I think there are plenty to take the place of Marty and Rhyce when they retire but the Key Backs could be a problem if we don't draft next year.

jono2707
23rd May 2012, 10:12 AM
I think Lockyer will slot nicely into our backline from what I've seen of him so far. Probably not this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him there in 2013. Cambo could step in now if required but I can't see a spot opening up for him at this stage - he is good depth cover to have though.

GongSwan
23rd May 2012, 10:23 AM
The Strut!!! Nah, sticking with my name for the lad.

Since there's been a song written about him, don't we have to stick with the strut?

rojo
23rd May 2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the snippets on how you see 'Cambo' might fit in in the future. It has been hard (from a distance) to see who he might be a ready replacement for. Not a tall KPP, or a runner - maybe a Mattner or someone who could release Smithy for jobs further up the field? A bit of a worry if Jordan Lockyer is a similar sort of player.

wolftone57
23rd May 2012, 09:16 PM
I think Lockyer will slot nicely into our backline from what I've seen of him so far. Probably not this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him there in 2013. Cambo could step in now if required but I can't see a spot opening up for him at this stage - he is good depth cover to have though.

I would not be surprised to see him have a game this year! Campbell Heath is being groomed for the Teddy role. The role of playing on the true Full Forwards like Riewaldt and guys like Walker! He will make it if he perseveres with the training they are giving him. He has a good idea of what it takes to play Full Back. The thing is someone like Reg will always take the monsters! He may in a year or two play Full Back depending on when Teddy retires. But we must look for more Key Posie Backs and a new ruck soon!

bloodbloods
23rd May 2012, 09:20 PM
Not much of a mention for Biggs with votes the last 2 games? Anyone know what sort of stats he is getting? I saw him a couple of years ago as an elevated U18 to Warrandyte Bloods 3rd div EFL VIC seniors team and his skills stood out.