PDA

View Full Version : VFL Round 10: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves

ugg
1st June 2012, 03:54 PM
NEAFL Round 10
Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves
Sunday 3rd June 2012 11.00am
Blacktown International Sports Park

NOTE: Game transferred to Blacktown 11am due to predicted heavy rain in the next 48 hours GRRRRR

After the bye due to the representative fixtures between the state leagues (NEAFL Eastern were pumped by NEAFL Northern if anyone's interested), the NEAFL resumes in Round 10 with a second visit by the Suns to the SCG. Rain was forecasted for the whole week leading up to this game but thankfully we have avoided the wet so far and hopefully will do so up till Sunday's game.

Sunday will also see the debut of 2011 draftee Alex Brown who has finally overcome a hip injury and will line up for the first time in Sydney colours.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/AlexBrown240c.jpg
Brown in motion

Eastern Conference Ladder
Team|Played|Wins|Losses|Draws|For|Against|Percenta ge|Points
Queanbeyan|7|6|1|0|952|518|183.%|24
Reserves|8|5|3|0|1103|554|199.10%|20
Eastlake|8|5|3|0|802|725|110.62%|20
Hills Eagles|8|5|3|0|933|859|108.61%|20
Ainslie|8|5|3|0|847|810|104.57%|20
{colsp=9}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UWS|7|3|4|0|551|900|61.22%|12
Belconnen|8|1|6|1|708|911|77.72%|6
Sydney Uni|8|1|7|1|605|1095|55.25%|4
Tuggeranong|8|0|7|1|614|1142|53.77%|2

Northern Conference Ladder
Team|Played|Wins|Losses|Draws|For|Against|Percenta ge|Points
Southport|8|7|1|0|901|602|149.67%|28
Labrador|8|7|1|0|923|664|139.01%|28
Brisbane Lions|8|6|2|0|1010|607|166.39%|24
Gold Coast Suns|8|5|3|0|791|607|130.31%|20
NT Thunder|8|5|3|0|847|725|116.83%|20
{colsp=9}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Broadbeach|8|4|3|1|867|796|108.92%|18
Redland|8|3|4|1|917|971|94.44%|14
Aspley|8|2|6|0|720|917|78.52%|8
Mt Gravatt|8|2|6|0|648|928|69.83%|8
Morningside|8|1|7|0|614|1022|60.88%|4

Past Meetings
R3 Reserves 7.13 (55) defeated by Gold Coast 13.13 (91)

The Reserves were hampered by the late withdrawals of Mark Seaby and Jesse White whilst their opponents the Suns had the ability to call on the full complement of 5 on their bench. The Reserves struggled to break down a resolute Suns defensive unit and lost it in the last quarter when Josh Fraser booted 4 of his 5 goals.

Goals: Walsh 2, Potter, McNeil, Lycakis, Jack, Gordon
Best: Heath, Walsh, Lycakis, Moore, Jack

Recent Form
Reserves
R1 UWS Away WIN 151-34
R2 BYE
R3 Gold Coast Home LOSS 55-91
R4 Ainslie Away LOSS 85-111
R5 Tuggeranong Home WIN 213-41
R6 NT Thunder Away LOSS 90-112
R7 Sydney Uni Away WIN 239-36
R8 Brisbane Away WIN 120-86
R9 Eastlake Home WIN 144-43

Gold Coast
R1 BYE
R2 Southport Away WIN 131-65
R3 Sydney Away WIN 91-55
R4 Morningside Home WIN 126-76
R5 Brisbane Away WIN 93-77
R6 Labrador Away LOSS 42-54
R7 NT Thunder Home LOSS 74-92
R8 UWS Away LOSS 75-90
R9 Redland Away WIN 159-98

Last Round
Reserves 22.12 (144) defeated Eastlake 5.13 (43)
The Reserves were too good for a disappointing Eastlake side who never recovered from a poor start. Down by 6 goals at quarter time, poor goalkicking snuffed out any chance of a fightback by the Demons. Mitch Morton continued his solid form with a team leading 6 goals whilst tall forwards Mark Seaby, Jesse White and Matthew Spangher all ended with 4 goals each.

Goals: Morton 6, Seaby 4, White 4, Spangher 4, Mitchell, Lockyer, Moore, Kilpatrick
Best: Seaby, Spangher, Biggs, Lewington, Meredith, Cunningham

Redland 14.14 (98) defeated by Gold Coast 24.15 (159)
The Suns ended a run of 3 consecutive losses by easily accounting for the Bombers. Ruckman/forward Josh Fraser led the damage with 5 goals whilst mobile half-forward Alik Magin finished with 4 and BOG honours.

Goals: Fraser 5, Magin 4, J.Hall 3, Moss 2, Hickey 2, Hopkins 2, McKenzie, Brennan, Macansh, Ellis, O'Meara, Gillbee
Best: Magin, Weller, J.Hall, Hickey, A.Hall, Toy

Team List
Listed players
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
1|Mark SEABY|3|6|12|BOG last round but with Mumford back will find it hard to play again bar injuries.
6|Tom MITCHELL|3|1|0|Swans trying to keep him under wraps by not naming him in the best despite a 42 possession game against Eastlake.
9|Nick MALCESKI|0|0|0|(Seniors extended bench) Expected to remain in the seniors
10|Mitch MORTON|8|36|9|His fan base seems to be growing each week but still not making the emergencies list.
11|Jed LAMB|8|8|0|Still very quiet, coaches might have to look at a different role for him to rejuvenate his season
13|Andrejs EVERITT|2|0|0|Played in the ruck the last time the Suns were here but unlikely to do so again.
17|Tommy WALSH|7|14|16|(Seniors extended bench) Had a tough game against the Saints, unlikely to hold his place.
18|Jesse WHITE|3|11|4|(Seniors extended bench) Where he plays will depend on the fitness of Mumford and/or LRT
27|Matthew SPANGHER|2|5|5|Was close to a call up this week and another good hitout might earn that recall.
28|Dylan McNEIL|8|2|1|Less game time last round, but with no listed players restrictions in place this week will be more prominent
33|Jarred MOORE|8|9|26|Quieter by his standards last round, will be an important player if the Swans are to win.
35|Campbell HEATH|8|0|12|Struggled with height of Josh Fraser in R3, might end up on him again.
36|Alex BROWN|0|0|0|Swans debut - played off half back as a youngster and has good pace.
42|Jack LYNCH|8|5|8|As with McNeil, suffered with lack of game time.
43|Eugene KRUGER|6|1|0|Was better defensively against Eastlake, now to show improvement in his offensive game.
44|Harry CUNNINGHAM|7|3|6|Placed back onto the rookie list to accommodate Brown's return. A run-with role is very likely, perhaps on O'Meara.
45|Nathan GORDON|6|15|3|Wasn't as effective in the midfield as he has been in attack.
46|Shane BIGGS|6|3|6|His last two games off half-back pushing onto the wing have been impressive. Good ball user.

Changes
In: Malceski (seniors), Walsh (seniors), Brown (hips)
Out: Brett Meredith (???), Jordan Lockyer (???)

22 listed players named in the extended squad but at least 3 will drop out when the senior team is finalised on Friday afternoon. Again we have little clue to Meredith and Lockyer's omissions but both have struggled with injury this year.

Brown can play on both talls and smalls in defence and may take Armstrong's place in defence if the latter is elevated to the seniors. Heath and Lynch are undersized when matched up against the tall ruckman/forwards of the Suns in Smith, Fraser, Nicholls and Josh Hall. This might require Walsh to shift back to defence, if he's dropped from the seniors as expected. Everitt and Spangher are other possible options in defence, but Spangher is more likely to stay in attack to finetune his game.

Mitch Morton will hope to continue his good form; coming into this game he has kicked an average of 5 goals a week for the past 5 weeks. There are many other options available to Crouch to join Morton in both talls (Spangher/White/Seaby/Walsh/Everitt) and smalls (Dennis-Lane/Gordon/Moore/Lamb).

Academy Players/Topups
#|Name|Game-s|Goals|Votes|Notes
47|Jackson POTTER|8|2|0|
?|Max CARTER|1|0|0|
?|Jack DAVIS|5|1|0|
?|Beau HEENEY|1|0|0|
?|Andrew MOODY|4|2|0|
?|Sam NAISMITH|1|0|0|
?|Dane RAMPE|0|0|0|

Changes
In: Carter, Heeney, Moody, Rampe
Out: Adam Gulden, Lachlan Kilpatrick, James Lewington

The selection of 7 Swans Academy players for this weekend's NSW/ACT RAMS U18 game against Vic Country means most of the usual suspects are unavailable for this game. We do however get to have another look at young behemoth Naismith who showed some deft taps in the ruck.

Rampe is a blast from the past as he last appeared as a top up in 2008.

Reserves leading goalkickers

Mitch Morton 36
Trent Dennis-Lane, Nathan Gordon 15
Tommy Walsh 14

For full list: 2012 Goalkickers - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php/2012_Goalkickers)

Reserves leading votegetters

Jarred Moore 26
Tommy Walsh 16
Campbell Heath, Mike Pyke, Mark Seaby 12

For full list: 2012 Best Votes - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php/2012_Best_votes)

GC Squad

1. Jaeger O'MEARA
2. Zac SMITH
3. Jared BRENNAN
4. Maverick WELLER
5. James McNAMARA
10. Lewis MOSS
13. Hayden JOLLY
15. Piers FLANAGAN
17. Josh FRASER
18. Trent McKENZIE
20. Josh TOY
22. Tom NICHOLLS
23. Josh BULL
24. John MACANSH
27. Ryan BOWER
29. Taylor HINE
31. Jackson ALLEN
32. Brandon MATERA
43. Liam PATRICK
45. Steven MAY
46. Josh HALL
47. Nick ELLIS
50. Henry SCHADE

In: Smith, Bull, Ellis, Bower, Matera, Jolly, May
Out: Hopkins, Tucker, Coad, Hall, Magin, Hickey, Gillbee

A very strong Suns lineup including two out of form senior players in Jared Brennan and Zac Smith. Weller, Fraser, Toy and Matera also played plenty of seniors football last year and the wunderkind Jaeger O'Meara who wowed us in Round 3 is back again.

Summary
With heavy rainfall predicted for the weekend, the advantage that the Suns have in their tall timber is negated somewhat. Expect the likes of Moore, McNeil, Gordon and Mitchell to shine in the wet.

BillyRayCypress
1st June 2012, 05:16 PM
Changes to Sunday.
They have been grazing cattle out at Blacktown and need the boys to spread out the pressies on the playing field. The rain came as a good excuse

Change in Sydney Swans Reserves match details

Due to a scheduling change the Sydney Swans Reserves will now face the Gold Coast Suns Reserves at Blacktown Olympic Park from 11 am on Sunday.
Entry into Blacktown Olympic Park will be free to all those who wish to attend. Access via Eastern Road, Rooty Hill. Free parking is available on site.
Change in SCG Gate Opening Time

SCG Gates will now open at 12.45pm this Sunday due to the change in Reserves schedule.

Please note there is no change to the Swans v Western Bulldogs start time. The seniors match will commence at 3.15pm.
Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs
SCG
Sunday, June 3, 2012
12.45pm - SCG Gates Open
2.45pm - Redkite Celebrity Kicking Competition
3.15pm - Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs

Dog mauling should be completed by dinner in time for Master Chef.

jono2707
1st June 2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the update Ugg - a great read on the Ressies as always.

Not so happy with the Swans management on this one though - we're playing in Blacktown??? Seriously?? What's wrong with Lakeside Oval? Blacktown is not exactly convenient...... Unless you are a GWS supporter that is.

I know we have no control over the weather but I would have thought a closer venue could have been found....

ugg
1st June 2012, 05:23 PM
As long as the celebrity kicking competition goes ahead :rolleyes:

I'm torn as Lakeside is a terrible place to watch football, Blacktown is infinitely better in terms of viewing vantage point and facilities but it's so damn far away. Getting from end of the reserves games to the SCG in time could be a problem too if traffic sucks.

BillyRayCypress
1st June 2012, 05:27 PM

Not so happy with the Swans management on this one though - we're playing in Blacktown??? Seriously?? What's wrong with Lakeside Oval? Blacktown is not exactly convenient...... Unless you are a GWS supporter that is.

I know we have no control over the weather but I would have thought a closer venue could have been found....

There's a special on moccasins out at Parklea Markets this Sunday. So kill two birds with one the stone.

BillyRayCypress
1st June 2012, 05:28 PM

Which celebrities are getting kicked?

There's been a few in the "mediya" lately that deserve a good kick in the behind.

BillyRayCypress
1st June 2012, 05:32 PM

Well with the rise of GWS and the fall of the Swans, the long term merger plans are slowly being implemented right under our noses.

Before you know it, it will be the GWSGS. Greater Western Sydney Giant Swans.

desredandwhite
1st June 2012, 05:38 PM
While I love having an AFL venue so close to my house (less than 10 min drive), I won't be going as it makes it almost impossible to attend both the ressies AND get to the SCG early-ish. Bah.

desredandwhite
1st June 2012, 05:38 PM
But I suppose I could go and watch the first half, then bolt to the SCG... hmmm....

ugg
1st June 2012, 05:45 PM
I think the real losers from this decision are the regular ressies watchers who sit in the Red Zone

In terms of the weather, the BOM says possible rain today and tomorrow and showers developing Sunday. A bit early in jumping the gun?

Primmy
1st June 2012, 05:46 PM
How come the last two years rain has been a problem for ressies, and the previous oh I don't know, 15 plus? it hasn't.

I AM SO BLOODY PISSED OFF.

ugg
1st June 2012, 05:55 PM
Okay just updated the team list with the finalisation of the seniors team. With the move to Blacktown, it's highly likely that one of the emergencies will sit out the whole game rather having to rush from Blacktown to the SCG at half time?

aardvark
1st June 2012, 05:58 PM
How come the last two years rain has been a problem for ressies, and the previous oh I don't know, 15 plus? it hasn't.

I AM SO BLOODY PISSED OFF.

Coz the last 15 years before 2010 we were in drought......

aardvark
1st June 2012, 06:00 PM

Not meaning to offend but being a regular Redkite contributer myself I feel the work they do is far more important than a ressies game.

ScottH
1st June 2012, 06:16 PM
Looks like we need to pitch in and get a RWO chopper.
Unless the pink one is still around

Dosser
1st June 2012, 06:18 PM

Is half of it with Geoffrey?

dimelb
1st June 2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks ugg. I hope Walsh keeps making progress.

Ruck'n'Roll
1st June 2012, 06:38 PM
I think the real losers from this decision are the regular ressies watchers who sit in the Red Zone
In terms of the weather, the BOM says possible rain today and tomorrow and showers developing Sunday. A bit early in jumping the gun?

I'm very irritated at having the ressies moved, getting to see the reserves is the one thing football in Sydney has over melbourne.
I suspect it's the bloody SCG trust being prissy about their "sacred turf" again.
On the other hand I won't be nearly as annoyed about missing the ressies as I would have been, had I had to waste 2 hours wandering around the fox precinct again.
Thanks very much for the warning.:clap:

Xie Shan
1st June 2012, 08:46 PM
Frustrating for the ressies watchers that the game has been moved.... Morton and Spangher must surely be very close to making the emergency list now. Thanks ugg

liz
1st June 2012, 09:29 PM
I'm very irritated at having the ressies moved, getting to see the reserves is the one thing football in Sydney has over melbourne.
I suspect it's the bloody SCG trust being prissy about their "sacred turf" again.
On the other hand I won't be nearly as annoyed about missing the ressies as I would have been, had I had to waste 2 hours wandering around the fox precinct again.
Thanks very much for the warning.:clap:

I am pretty pissed off about the decision. We had some moderately heavy rain here in Sydney on Tuesday morning but it cleared up in the afternoon and we've had barely a sprinkling since then. The drainage at the SCG is excellent, and even if steadily rained between now and Sunday (and still no sign of any rain), the ground would pull up pretty well. It is a long way from the conditions we had this time last year where it relentlessly poured down for weeks on end.

Watching the reserves play before the senior game is all part of the day for me, and I look forward to the early match just as much as the senior game. Trekking out to Blacktown in the morning and then battling through the traffic to get back to the SCG on time just isn't on, at least for me.

Kirkari
1st June 2012, 10:30 PM
...Not so happy with the Swans management on this one though - we're playing in Blacktown??? Seriously?? What's wrong with Lakeside Oval? Blacktown is not exactly convenient...... Unless you are a GWS supporter that is...

Nothing to do with Swans management and everything to do with stupid Sydney's stupid councils and stupid parks trust. Couldn't possibly play on a wet surface and risk making it unsuitable to play on, some time in the future, when it might not be raining...

Bloody Hell
1st June 2012, 10:37 PM
North Sydney Oval would be a better option.

unconfuseme
2nd June 2012, 12:08 AM
Not meaning to offend but being a regular Redkite contributer myself I feel the work they do is far more important than a ressies game.

Redkite do a wonderful job as do a thousand other volunteer organisations.

I guess the sight of a bunch of self indulgent C grade celbs running around in ill fitting garments Vs a game of AFL at ostensibly the second highest level in the state, is in the eye of the beholder:rolleyes:

aardvark
2nd June 2012, 12:14 AM
Redkite do a wonderful job as do a thousand other volunteer organisations.

I guess the sight of a bunch of self indulgent C grade celbs running around in ill fitting garments Vs a game of AFL at ostensibly the second highest level in the state, is in the eye of the beholder:rolleyes:

True but sometimes its not all about football. That aside if the powers that be think a full game of reserves footy will leave the ground in poor condition for the firsts then shifting it is probably for the best. I suppose they could always play it after the firsts, it would be interesting to see how many stayed to watch.

GongSwan
2nd June 2012, 12:40 AM
Why don't they just move the game to Homebush, the surface there is already up to @@@@

wolftone57
2nd June 2012, 01:28 AM

What the @@@@ is wrong with the SCG?

wolftone57
2nd June 2012, 01:34 AM
I am pretty pissed off about the decision. We had some moderately heavy rain here in Sydney on Tuesday morning but it cleared up in the afternoon and we've had barely a sprinkling since then. The drainage at the SCG is excellent, and even if steadily rained between now and Sunday (and still no sign of any rain), the ground would pull up pretty well. It is a long way from the conditions we had this time last year where it relentlessly poured down for weeks on end.

Watching the reserves play before the senior game is all part of the day for me, and I look forward to the early match just as much as the senior game. Trekking out to Blacktown in the morning and then battling through the traffic to get back to the SCG on time just isn't on, at least for me.I want to see my reserves play on our ground when it is their home ground. I don't wish to see them play on a surface that is not home to them. If the SCG is not good enough then why not play the game at the Lake Oval. Bugger Blacktown that is not a home ground and disadvantages our resies incredibly. I love to see the Two's before the main game it is one of the reasons to go to the footy. To see theup & coming players doing the rounds!

I agree with you Liz this is @@@@e!!!

wolftone57
2nd June 2012, 01:37 AM
One thing I will say is I think the Swans are as weak as piss on this issue! They could fight for a home ground advantage for the Two's but they didn't! Bugger you Swans Management!!!!!

BillyRayCypress
2nd June 2012, 07:00 AM
Nothing to do with Swans management and everything to do with stupid Sydney's stupid councils and stupid parks trust. Couldn't possibly play on a wet surface and risk making it unsuitable to play on, some time in the future, when it might not be raining...

Well that rule applies to junior Clubs across Sydney. Parklea Markets is a lovely place on the weekend. Some people even have relatives living in the government provided accomodation across the road.

Plenty of time to see the ressies, stop for a fresh box of vegies and back to the SCG to watch some C grade celebs with wedgies.

I'm still workin my way up the list here but am sure glad the mullet is coming back into fashion. Go you Tiger trend setters.

BillyRayCypress
2nd June 2012, 07:04 AM

I think he might have crashed that one in Melbourne.

desredandwhite
2nd June 2012, 09:02 AM
Hmmm... Yes, why not lakeside? While i recognise that the facilities at Doonside are actually pretty good, why would they move it across town at the last minute when the training oval just outside the SCG has been used many times before for NEAFL games? The AFL has a stake in the Doonside venue, hence why it is an easier option than, say, NSO, but I'm not sure why it would not be at Lakeside to give regular watchers a chance to see both games?

rojo
2nd June 2012, 01:12 PM
Sad but true these days, it seems that when the AFL makes decisions about game times, venues etc. what is best for the supporters (and sometimes the teams involved too) are way down on their list of priorities. (Oops, what happened to my decision to cut back on the negativity!)

ugg
3rd June 2012, 02:25 AM
I've decided to make the trek out to Blacktown and then the mad dash across to the SCG

So follow the ressies action on Twitter @swansreserves Click the link in my signature if you have no idea what I just wrote.

desredandwhite
3rd June 2012, 09:10 AM
I've decided to make the trek out to Blacktown and then the mad dash across to the SCG

So follow the ressies action on Twitter @swansreserves Click the link in my signature if you have no idea what I just wrote.

Might see you out there - I'll probably go until halftime, then grab the wife and kid and head to the SCG.

Primmy
3rd June 2012, 11:32 AM
Bless you ugg. Above and Beyond.

He deserves a medal Scott.

stellation
3rd June 2012, 01:01 PM
It sounds like Spangher is staking a claim for a forward spot? Going by ugg's tweets he has 4 and we're not at half time yet.

ugg
3rd June 2012, 01:28 PM
He's doing a Buddy and out scoring the opposition by himself

ShockOfHair
3rd June 2012, 01:29 PM
It sounds like Spangher is staking a claim for a forward spot? Going by ugg's tweets he has 4 and we're not at half time yet.

He's the hope of our season.

stellation
3rd June 2012, 01:36 PM
I didn't realize that Brennan had been dropped and was running around in the magoos for Gold Coast. Ouch!

liz
3rd June 2012, 01:59 PM
He's the hope of our season.

If only his hamstrings weren't so fragile.

I have to confess I groaned out loud when the Swans read out his name on draft day. And I think even they took him as depth for defence. Whoever had the bright idea to switch him forward for the reserves one day stumbled across a miracle. He's never going to be the classiest forward in the world but he looks completely at home there. A complete contrast to the indecisive bumbling half back who played for West Coast. I just love his controlled aggression at the contest, and his kicking for goal is pretty straight too, most of the time.

GongSwan
3rd June 2012, 03:09 PM
Yep, the strut might just be the answer to who is the foil for Reid. Get him fit first, out of all our forward options his pressure is probably the best, and I love the way he throws himself at the contest

ScottH
3rd June 2012, 03:17 PM

Or these to keep him warm.

chalbilto
3rd June 2012, 03:33 PM
From BF site "Just for those that cant be arsed checking twitter we won 109 to 56."

Dosser
3rd June 2012, 03:33 PM
Or these to keep him warm.

GWS footy boots.

troyjones2525
3rd June 2012, 08:36 PM
How was Mitchell's game? Any chance of a replacement for Parker next week?

ugg
3rd June 2012, 09:30 PM
Mitchell played 3 quarters so that's probably a sign that he isn't quite ready for a seniors spot. Had a entertaining battle with Jaeger O'Meara during the 2nd quarter where both players were amongst the best for their sides.

Primmy
3rd June 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the tweets ugg. Much appreciated.

Side comment: gawd you have quick typing fingers!!

The Big Cat
3rd June 2012, 11:06 PM
Bugger you Swans Management!!!!!

Please don't denigrate people. If the ressies had played at the SCG and the seniors had lost, people here would be blaming the chopped up playing surface!

ugg
4th June 2012, 02:07 AM
Arrived at the ground to hear the whistles of the umpires interspersed with unexpectedly loud cheers. I immediately thought 'bugger me the bastards have started the game early'. It turned out to be the end of a Swans Academy v GWS Academy game with the Swans winning 73-36. It must have been a good performance or unexpected victory as there was hearty cheers from both the players and the parents in the stands when the final siren blew.

But I digress.

The ground looked in great condition despite the rain and the fact that 2 Under 18 rep games were played there yesterday and the aforementioned Academies clash. The centre square had a sick looking pale brown tinge to it but it held out alright. But for one Cunningham tumble into the turf bringing up a sizable divot (he was unaffected), nothing major happened due to the surface bar the ocassional slip.

It rained for the first half and was at its heaviest during the first quarter. It stopped during half time and never returned and the second half was played in relatively dry conditions. The match didn't degenerate into the ball-up rolling-maul fest that might have been expected given the downpour. In fact it was quite an open game where the Swans dominated possession and territory for most of the match. Mark Seaby was excellent in the ruck and handled all the Suns could throw at him, literally, as he had 4 different opponents throughout the afternoon in Zac Smith, Tom Nicholls, Josh Fraser and Jared Brennan. The extra mobility of Brennan troubled him somewhat but that was in the 4th quarter and might be due to fatigue as much as Brennan's movements but in general Seaby had a great game.

Seaby's taps fed a hungry midfield of Tom Mitchell, Jarred Moore, Andrejs Everitt, Dylan McNeil, Harry Cunningham and Nathan Gordon. The Swans were more determined and more desperate when it came to winning the loose ball and once they won it, they often managed to spot up a free man or a hard leading forward target. Their spread was excellent and the Suns struggled to match the hard running of the Swans. Tackling and forward pressure were impressive all game and caused the Suns to rush or panic when in possession resulting in many intercepts across the wing. The Suns did not have many forward 50 entries during the first 3 quarters.

Mitchell's hands are a highlight of his game, it's quick and it's clean and it invariably finds a teammate. He has great lower body strength which allows him to stand up wgukst being tackled and offload via a handball - a la Joey Kennedy. He had a great battle with Gold Coast's next big thing Jaeger O'Meara in the 2nd quarter. Played 3 quarters before being withdrawn. Moore the captain and traffic cop and found plenty of the footy by reading the ball off Seaby's taps expertly. McNeil also did a lot of the grunt work but was not as clean as Mitchell.

Everitt had an interesting role midfield role - he started many of the centre square bounces and was opposed to Jared Brennan for long periods of the first half. He shows a surprising amount of pace when he needs to/has to and both of his goals were converted from long range. The first was an amazing spiral torpedo from 60m off a few steps in general play - and I don't think there aren't many players in the AFL who execute this as well as he does. However, he still struggles to take a contested mark in the forward 50 and his most valuable contributions were around the wing/half forward area. Will he ever play a similar role in the seniors? I highly doubt it which would bring into question why they persist in playing him in weird roles instead of the tall forward position which seems to be his role whenever he does get the call up to the seniors.

Cunningham had a free role that required him to run to all areas of the ground. He used his pace to chase, harry, annoy and tackle the heck out of the Suns midfielders and defenders. It feels like the Swans coaches are working him hard on the defensive areas of his game. Cunningham completed a great rundown of a Sun defender in the forward 50 and won a HTB free kick and shot on goal but Morton played on advantage and goaled robbing Harry of a well deserved reward. Gordon was super busy playing as a link man. He read the play very well and used his leap to great effect to attack the marking contests or in intercepting Gold Coast kicks. However his ball use again let him down. He likes to try for the harder but more spectacular pass instead of sticking to the simpler option. He had a short spell down in defence in the last quarter when Malceski and Brown had departed the game (see below for more details). Shane Biggs was another link man between defence and attack. He was effective in that role displaying some evasive skills combined with neat and effective kicking.

In defence, Campbell Heath, Jack Lynch, Nick Malceski, Alex Brown, Eugene Kruger formed a solid defensive unit. On paper, Heath and Lynch should have been troubled by the height of the Suns forwards but due to their teammates' dominance in the midfield, didn't have a lot of trouble dealing with the poor balls coming into them. Heath continues to impress and it wouldn't surprise me if Ted Richards is his mentor as there is a lot Richards-like play in the way Heath defends. Gets his body position correct in most instances and when he feels he can mark/attack the ball he isn't afraid to do so. Lynch is a Spangher doppelganger, from his hair and height right down to the strapping on his shoulders. He's a fine user of the ball as well and is athletic enough to run up the ground and provide another option as well.

Malceski did well defensively in the first quarter, often peeling off his man to help out his fellow defenders being the third man up. His ball use was a little askew to start with but improved signficantly as he found more of the ball (and his teammates were looking for him) and it was a performance that will be a much needed confidence booster. He played the first 3 quarters before being taken out of the game as the emergency for the seniors. Brown didn't have an onerous match up to contend with but when he did have the ball in hand, he disposed of it tidily and considerately. At this stage of his career, despite his height, he would be more suited to a half back flank than a key position. He also played 3 quarters before heading into the sheds. Kruger also did a fine job defensively but didn't find a lot of the football.

Matthew Spangher was the star of the show, in particular shining in the wetness of the first half. His attack on the football was inspiring, leading quick and direct out of the forward 50, competing well when the ball hits the deck and tackling ferociously but fairly which is not an easy task to complete in difficult conditions. He took a nice contested grab holding out two defenders in the goal square for his 2nd goal and for his 4th he neatly crumbed a spilled mark and snapped quickly and accurately with his non-preferred left foot. He didn't have as much impact in the second half and seems to have been given a role further up the ground than in the first half.

Tommy Walsh had a rotten first quarter when the marks just wouldn't stick and perhaps was a little unfairly manhandled by his opponent Lewis Moss. He started hanging onto a few grabs later on but they were too far out the threaten the scoreboard. He likes to look for the short pass when he marks just outside the 50 or if he fails to spot one will bomb long and in hope, rather than taking option of kicking long into space and/or the 'fat side' for other forwards to run into. His short kicking can be hit and miss at times, he overcompensates for the distance and it ends up falling way too short. It was a passable performance but not one that would propel him back into the seniors any time soon.

Then we come to the enigma that is Jesse White. Freed of second ruck duties, White played a mixture of forward and midfield roles. He did a lot of right things as a forward, leading well, pushing off his man to create separation and just as he looks like he will mark it, the ball hits his hard hands and bounces out. Commentators often want forwards to extend their hands and mark it in front of their body instead of completing a chest mark but in Jesse's case I often pray it's the other way around because he just seems to have a incredibly hard time marking it in his hands. He played further up the ground in the second half and showed great acceleration in burning off his man a few times but then let himself down by choosing the wrong option or just having a complete brain fade and kicking the ball wildly without any intent or purpose. His one moment of magic came when he ran down a lethargic Fraser near the half forward flank and then took his time before spotting up a leading Seaby who marked between 3 defenders.

Mitch Morton was very quiet but managed to inflate his goal tally with the last 2 goals of the game. His opponent Josh Toy played him very well, not only marking him tightly but always ensuring he stayed goal side of Morton to prevent any of the sneaky goals that we've become accustomed to. The defensive side of his game was solid, making a couple of crunching tackles in the forward 50 that went unrewarded.

Jed Lamb did not play, unexplained.

Topups: Jackson Potter is a reliable option off half back, he'll compete as hard as any listed player but lacks their polish. Big Sam Naismith relieved Seaby in the ruck but it wasn't for long spells. He wasn't embarassed against Smith and co but found it hard to get front position against them. Up forward he leads hard and is not afraid to throw his bulk around but takes too long with his decision making and gets caught with it often. Little Andrew Moody may literally be only 5 foot 5 but he plays like he's a foot taller. He'll go for the marks, won't shirk the tackles and is a noted finisher in fron of goal. Jack Davis has been a constant presence in the side this year and has made strides. Usually plays in the defensive hard, he also takes the game on courageously and this was exemplified when he copped a late and high bump from Jackson Allen in the 4th quarter and despite looking really sore coming off the ground, came back on and played just as hard as before. I'm not sure about the other topups, there was a 52 and a 54 but there was also a topup being called "Josh" which doesn't correspond to any of the other topups (Max Carter, Dane Rampe, Beau Henney) in the named side on Friday.

Lastly I have to mention the great camaraderie within the team. The team structures work really well because of the communication out there on the field. Moore and Heath are the main players when it comes to directing traffic out there but others like Gordon, Cunningham or even Potter aren't afraid to tell their teammates who to mark or what role they should be playing. There is also a great team spirit out there which may seem difficult to foster given that many players are competing against each other for spots on the seniors or on the playing list. But when Morton kicked his last goal, Gordon was just as happy or even happier than Morton himself. And when I was leaving the stadium the team was participating in a hearty rendition of Cheer Cheer, definitely with more gusto than the seniors did following their victory.

Next week: a trip to Canberra (the 2nd and last regular season fixture there) to face the top side Queanbeyan Tigers.

Swans 5.2 8.4 12.7 16.13 (103)
Suns 1.1 1.4 3.6 8.8 (56)

Swans goals: Spangher 4, Morton 3, Seaby 2, Everitt 2, Mitchell, Walsh, White, Cunningham, Moody
Suns goals: Brennan 2, Fraser 2, O'Meara, Smith, Matera, Hall

My Best: Spangher Seaby Moore Malceski Heath Mitchell Cunningham

alison.z
4th June 2012, 02:34 AM
Thanks Ugg! I was out there and agree with everything you've said - as a regular ressies watcher, who would you consider to replace Parker? You would assume it would have to be a genuine mid rather than an Armstrong/Malceski type replacement.

GongSwan
4th June 2012, 03:05 AM
Dejavu?????

ScottH
4th June 2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks Ugg.

Did you get to the Seniors game ok??

dimelb
4th June 2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks ugg, great work again.

desredandwhite
4th June 2012, 10:08 AM
Good summary ugg - I am not a regular reserves watcher so I was a bit rusty on the names of some of the fringe players.

AGree that White, Everitt and Malceski are doing a lot of things right, but really need to polish up on their disposals before coming back into seniors.

Hope you made it out to the SCG ok - I think I saw you through the binoculars just before the main game. Was a wet walk for me to the car at Blacktown at halftime, but it got better.

Ruck'n'Roll
4th June 2012, 10:47 AM
+1

ugg
4th June 2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks Ugg! I was out there and agree with everything you've said - as a regular ressies watcher, who would you consider to replace Parker? You would assume it would have to be a genuine mid rather than an Armstrong/Malceski type replacement.

Once you consider the options a genuine mid replacement doesn't look likely:

Moore - if we assume his lack of pace is the main reason he hasn't had a real opportunity in the last 2 years, playing the speedy Bombers under the closed roof of the Dome would be an unlikely game to recall him.
Gordon & Cunningham - Both haven't been seen in the midfield in the seniors. Cunningham has real pace though and could do a job as a defensive forward on a Dempsey. He would need to be promoted back onto the senior list first of course.
Everitt - We have seen him on the wing in the seniors but only for short stints and only after he has failed to have an impact as a forward. He is deceptively quick but I guess we don't get a chance to see Everitt at full flight playing from the goalsquare.
McNeil - On the rookie list and probably not in consideration anyway
Meredith & Lamb - Didn't play assumed injured.
Mitchell - It looks like the coaches and fitness staff are being extra cautious in managing his game time. His played 3 quarters and was rotated on and off quite a bit so I doubt he played more than 75 minutes. It is highly unlikely they will jeopardise this carefully managed comeback by selecting him, even as a sub. You have to remember he had no pre-season and will require to build up the match fitness to tackle the pace of the AFL, which is a big jump from the pace of the NEAFL.

It's more likely that Armstrong will swap the sub's vest for a spot in the 21 and the replacement will take his spot as the sub. Spangher deserves a promotion given his recent form but to bring in another tall for a small would send the side's balance out of kilter. So my best guess would be Malceski or Everitt with the green vest with Cunningham and Gordon the smokies. Bird to spend more time in the midfield.

ugg
4th June 2012, 11:39 AM
Good summary ugg - I am not a regular reserves watcher so I was a bit rusty on the names of some of the fringe players.

AGree that White, Everitt and Malceski are doing a lot of things right, but really need to polish up on their disposals before coming back into seniors.

Hope you made it out to the SCG ok - I think I saw you through the binoculars just before the main game. Was a wet walk for me to the car at Blacktown at halftime, but it got better.

Des the rain disappeared once you left! The drive along the M7 was nice and dry but it turned to a horror show on the M2 around the Epping-Beecroft tunnel, the rain was torrential and visibility really poor but I got through in one piece. The drive itself took about 45 minutes from Blacktown to the Liverpool St car park so had plenty of time to get on the bus on into the stadium.

It probably wasn't me you saw through the binoculars, I decamped from my usual spot to sit with some mates under cover in the Trumper. (NARF)

ugg
6th June 2012, 02:30 PM
Highlights

http://sydneyswans.com.au/videoaudio/tabid/8664/default.aspx?contentid=456872#playvideo

Bleed Red Blood
6th June 2012, 05:13 PM
who snaps the goal at 44 seconds in? and is it j white roving the ruck and kicking a goal at the end?

ugg
6th June 2012, 05:44 PM
44 seconds is Walsh and yes to your second question.