PDA

View Full Version : Bombers vs Swans

Auntie.Gerald
3rd June 2012, 07:16 PM
if we can win the away game against the Bombers I will certainly be bullish on us winning 8 games on the way home

If we cant 7 would still be a good result !

this year 14wins may still get us 4th ? not in many other seasons !

:hmmm

longmile
3rd June 2012, 07:54 PM
Bombers will come out absolutely firing after there loss to the Dees. We'll have to be at our best to hold them back.

linko
3rd June 2012, 08:16 PM
The Bomber's loss to the Dee's last year started there form slump last year, here's hoping history repeats!

ShockOfHair
3rd June 2012, 08:29 PM
I'll go out on a limb and predict a close one.

The last three games:

2011: Rd 2 d Ess 5 points ANZ
Rd 20 lost to Ess 1 point Etihad
2010: Rd 11 d Ess 9 points SCG

ScottH
3rd June 2012, 08:42 PM

The last three games:

Sounds like the mid 96 era.

Cheer_Cheer
3rd June 2012, 08:44 PM
I am not so sure the loss tothe Dees this weeks is a bad thing.. With an experienced side you would expect they would bounce back hard but with the baby Bombers it may just make them feel a little vunerable..If we can start anything like today we will take them. This is our time to win again in Melbourne..

mcs
3rd June 2012, 09:56 PM
It is a huge game next week. Turning at 8-3 looks pretty good to me, 7-4 disappointing considering our start. Under the roof on a Saturday night will be tough. The Bombers will be smarting after this weekend. A huge game, that I think will tell us a lot about our season. Get a win and we can go into the bye with some confidence, knowing Goodesy is close to returning and with a tough run to come to really test our mettle. Lose and we really will be back in the pack trying hard to hang on to the top 4.

Looking forward to it, it should be an absolutely smashing game - as long as its like last year but with the result reversed, then I'll be a happy man. That was an absolutely brilliant game of footy, even if we didn't win it in the end.

Big test for the boys, hopefully the first of many this season that we can pass with flying colours.

mcs
3rd June 2012, 09:59 PM
I am not so sure the loss tothe Dees this weeks is a bad thing.. With an experienced side you would expect they would bounce back hard but with the baby Bombers it may just make them feel a little vunerable..If we can start anything like today we will take them. This is our time to win again in Melbourne..

The opening quarter will be huge. We need to get away well and then kick on with it - unlike what happened against the Saints.

Melbourne_Blood
3rd June 2012, 11:40 PM
Such a strange year of Footy . Anyone can beat anyone on their day really ( excepting maybe the two newbies) and no team is unbeatable. This will be tough to win, but a 4 qtr effort from everyone will see us go a long way towards winning. Mummy will be better for the run and did some nice things. Armstrong and Dennis Lane both did good things too. Lewis Jetta cannot kick a behind to save himself, complete reversal of two years ago. God I love him.

johnno
4th June 2012, 01:30 AM
2-3 weeks ago I was dreading this game, we lost to Richmond and our Melbourne record was going from bad to worse, and Essendon were absolutely flying.
Now that the bombers have lost a game, and we've had another good win/performance against the bulldogs(I know, I know...it was in Sydney), I like our chances. Would rather Goodes out there than not, but thats how its gotta be.
We look so much better with the 2 rucks in, Mummy will so much better for the run, also having TDL out there makes us look like we have something that looks like a forward line now.
I'll be there, somewhere on level 1 in the AFL members, yelling wildly and giving crap to the MANY bombers supporters around me....GO BLOODS!!!!

*****Congratulate me folks....thats 900 posts for me now, quickly closing in on 1000.****

GongSwan
4th June 2012, 01:52 AM
It's a relatively simple equation with Bombers, sit on Watson and Stanton and hopefully remove their influence, and you go a long way to beating them

Lucky Knickers
4th June 2012, 08:20 AM
Need 4 qtrs of committed footy over everything else and forward pressure.

Beerman
4th June 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm worried. We have beaten teams who have given us time and space to use the ball. When there is pressure on us, we give it away through poor disposal too easily and then get hurt on the rebound.

Having said that, the bombers looked beatable against gold coast and lost to Melbourne (oh, the ignominy!). Anything could happen.

We really need this win. So far we have beaten only hawthorn from the top 8 and lost to a couple of sides outside the 8. We need a strong win to prove we are not just making up the numbers.

BeeEmmAre
4th June 2012, 01:13 PM

The last three games:

2012: NAB Cup lost to Ess 2 points Etihad.....

C'mon Swannies, play well in Melbourne and we're in the top two by the end of the round.

msb
4th June 2012, 01:47 PM

C'mon Swannies, play well in Melbourne and we're in the top two by the end of the round.

They certainly owe us melbourne based supporters a win down here, if not then at least effort. I just cant bring myself to go to this one though, after seeing the performances against richmond and saints down here I am not risking it this week, I cannot stand essendon, it was bad enough against the saints!

Doctor
4th June 2012, 01:50 PM
Let's hope the Bombers play like they've lost their aura of invincibility rather than a hurting team playing for pride on the rebound.

GongSwan
4th June 2012, 02:46 PM
Let's hope Horse tweaks teh game plan a little to suit the slightly longer ground. I don't think our mids are as effective on the longer grounds at kicking goals

nomae
4th June 2012, 04:10 PM
Mitchell for Parker?

GongSwan
4th June 2012, 05:44 PM
Mitchell for Parker?

Only played half a game of ressies this week, no chance

aardvark
4th June 2012, 07:57 PM

Maybe a slight chance now Benny is out as well??????

Matt79
4th June 2012, 07:59 PM
I would think Spahnger is almost a certainty and perhaps Nipper a chance too. Malceski or Everitt to possibly come in with the sub vest too.

Looking at 2-3 changes. May look like this IMO

IN: Spangher, Gordon, Malceski
OUT: Parker (inj), McGlynn (Susp), Pyke

aardvark
4th June 2012, 08:05 PM

Pyke has 40 hit outs and 10 possessions and he's getting dropped. A little bit harsh don't you think?

jono2707
4th June 2012, 08:48 PM
2 forced changes is enough. Pykey was good and he'll stay, especially with Mummy still a bit short of a run...

Lucky Knickers
4th June 2012, 08:55 PM
Mitchell for Parker?

Wonder if the coaches will start trying to up his work rate to bring him in to cover for Parker. Seems perfect cover for him.

Kirkari
4th June 2012, 10:27 PM
I would think Spahnger is almost a certainty and perhaps Nipper a chance too. Malceski or Everitt to possibly come in with the sub vest too.

Looking at 2-3 changes. May look like this IMO

IN: Spangher, Gordon, Malceski

Can't see Pyke getting dropped when that combo worked so well, even in the wet. You'd think under the roof would be even better for three talls.

I don't know why Malceski was dropped so who knows if he's done what he needs to do to come back in. Both Spang AND Nipper might just be one wild child too many and too soon. So I'm going to vote for Spang and Mal for Parker and McGlynn.

Matt79
4th June 2012, 10:45 PM
Can't see Pyke getting dropped when that combo worked so well, even in the wet. You'd think under the roof would be even better for three talls.

I don't know why Malceski was dropped so who knows if he's done what he needs to do to come back in. Both Spang AND Nipper might just be one wild child too many and too soon. So I'm going to vote for Spang and Mal for Parker and McGlynn.

My concern comes with the Bomber's speed and carry. I don't think we can go with 3 talls despite being under the roof. We need some more run and carry this week.

top40
4th June 2012, 11:09 PM

Its been a long time since the Swans beat a top 6 team in Melbourne in an Away game. The last time was 5 years ago, when they beat 3rd place Hawthorn in Round 11 at the MCG. In effect, for the past 12 years, all of the Swans' Away wins in Melbourne against a top 6 side have been only against two clubs, the Hawks and the Demons:

2007 Round 11 v Hawthorn (3rd) MCG
2006 Round 19 v Melbourne (3rd) MCG
2005 Round 16 v Melbourne (4th) Docklands
2004 Round 20 v Melbourne (3rd) Docklands
2002 Round 21 v Melbourne (5th) MCG
2001 Round 15 v Hawthorn (2nd) MCG

The last time Sydney beat a highly ranked Essendon team in Melbourne was way, way back in Round 12, 1989, (nearly quarter of century ago), when they beat then the 4rd place Bombers at Windy Hill 55 to 50.

I agree: c'mon Swans, just for once can we have a good win in the Victorian capital against a quality team.

swansrob
4th June 2012, 11:56 PM
Its been a long time since the Swans beat a top 6 team in Melbourne in an Away game. The last time was 5 years ago, when they beat 3rd place Hawthorn in Round 11 at the MCG
Elimination Final last year?

top40
5th June 2012, 12:18 AM
Elimination Final last year?

"Away" with a capital "A" meaning within the context of the Home and Away season.

DLBIA14
5th June 2012, 02:00 AM
Feeling a little sick in the stomach at the prospect of this game. No Goodes, no Parker, no Rohan, no McGlynn, a very hungry and much improved Essendon, a very un-Sydney like Sydney who seem to lack that characteristic desperation when the going gets tough this year, a bad record at Melbourne, a physically tough game against the Dogs, a 6 day break...

If we win this I think it might be miraculous. I really hope we get the job done, but I'm not hold out much hope. Whatever happens I hope it's not a close one like the last few games against the Dons. Real heart-racing sort of stuff and I don't know if I could take that.

DamY
5th June 2012, 09:55 AM

I don't have cold hard facts but from the Richmond and St Kilda losses, Malceski tended to unintentionally kick the ball to a non-Swans player.

ABloodsMan
5th June 2012, 10:21 AM
That awkward moment when you realise Jetta is equal 4th on the league goalkicking table. Looking forward to seeing him make amends for "that handball".

Red
5th June 2012, 01:02 PM
Feeling a little sick in the stomach at the prospect of this game. No Goodes, no Parker, no Rohan, no McGlynn, a very hungry and much improved Essendon, a very un-Sydney like Sydney who seem to lack that characteristic desperation when the going gets tough this year, a bad record at Melbourne, a physically tough game against the Dogs, a 6 day break...

If we win this I think it might be miraculous. I really hope we get the job done, but I'm not hold out much hope. Whatever happens I hope it's not a close one like the last few games against the Dons. Real heart-racing sort of stuff and I don't know if I could take that.
Agree that a win in this situation would be miraculous. A win v. the Bombers in Melbourne is so rare that for it to happen at all is practically a miracle!

But if we do lose I'd rather it be close, so we can protect our awesome % going into the bye.

GongSwan
5th June 2012, 01:50 PM
Wonder if the coaches will start trying to up his work rate to bring him in to cover for Parker. Seems perfect cover for him.

I don't think they'll rush him for fear of recurrance of his knee

We will need to take last weeks start into this game to quiet the Essendon support and get the match ups right from the word go, put on enough pressure any team can be beaten anywhere, the boys just need to be up for it

ShockOfHair
5th June 2012, 02:29 PM
Essendon got beaten by Melbourne three days ago and the Bombers won by this game last year by just one point. With Mumford back we should go into this match with a lot of confidence. Play quarters and we'll win.

wolftone57
5th June 2012, 03:20 PM

According to Ugg he played about 3/4 of a game and 70 mins the week before. He got in the best. We may need him now Bennie has been suspended.

I would like to see hane Biggs given a go on the main list as he keeps getting in the best for the Two's. He is also versatile as he can play HB or Mid.

This week; I would risk Mitchell and maybe either Morton or Nipper. Only worried about Nipper's delivery.

GongSwan
5th June 2012, 03:29 PM
First report I read was half a game, still, if he's not playing full games in the 2's yet would you risk him as anything but the sub. Taking half fit players in is dangerous. The reports on Biggs have been good and he's have to be a chance for elevation along with Harry, who, and I'm only going on what I read, appears to be working hard and is speedy

Doctor
5th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Mitchell is clearly nowhere near ready. It looks like the club have a very definite long-term plan for him that I suspect he, his family and his manager are all across. He may not even play seniors this year but, if he does, it won't be for a while yet.

hot potato
5th June 2012, 03:41 PM
Met Kieran Jacks little brother in a park practising his skills, hows he going. Nice kid. Have missed his first name.

ScottH
5th June 2012, 04:06 PM
Met Kieran Jacks little brother in a park practising his skills, hows he going. Nice kid. Have missed his first name.

Brandon

Mountain Man
5th June 2012, 04:22 PM
It seems to me that the replacements for the 'hard' men of Parker and McGlynn should have some 'hardness' - Morton and Malceski might not qualify on a like-for-like basis

GongSwan
5th June 2012, 04:40 PM
It seems to me that the replacements for the 'hard' men of Parker and McGlynn should have some 'hardness' - Morton and Malceski might not qualify on a like-for-like basis

Good point, I think we can cover Parks by using Jude and ROK more in teh hard stuff, ROK has been playing a lot of forward or loose in defence over the last few games. He can take a few rotations thru the middle, but we need to find one more and probably has to come from the youth, I couldn't say who. On the longer ground at Etihad, some more run and carry off HB or the wing might be needed as we have to move the ball faster. Bringing Eski in gives us that run and penetrating kick forward, with Shaw and Hanners. With TDL now in the FWD line and LRT providing a contest and one of teh rucks up there, we actually have people to kick it to, along with some hard running mids who can get forward for the crumbs. JPK to match up on Watson, maybe Bird small forward/mid, agent Smith to get the job on Stanton. They have some big bodies in teh Bombers hard to shut them down completely, so we best be kicking some goals

giant
5th June 2012, 05:45 PM

Delicately put.

longmile
5th June 2012, 09:00 PM
The write up in afl.com has us tipped to win by 4 points. SHould be an exciting game!

Rod_
6th June 2012, 08:28 PM
The write up in afl.com has us tipped to win by 4 points. SHould be an exciting game!

Hope your right, as that this is the game that we are going to Melbourne for this year... (and the finals of cause...!) Tickets in the nose bleed area - best I could get.

Rod_

Rod_
6th June 2012, 08:29 PM
Hope your right, as that this is the game that we are going to Melbourne for this year... (and the finals of cause...!) Tickets in the nose bleed area - best I could get.

Rod_

Was there last year for the A. Goodes miss after the siren - So I need a redemption game...

LOL

Rod_

Kirkari
6th June 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm still cheerleading for The Spang to come in for this game. He doesn't have quite the same disregard for personal safety as Luke Parker, but he definitely gets amongst it, and last year seemed to remind the rest of the forwards that it's easier to win the ball if you're actually at the contest. I'm also going to say Jarred Moore might get a look in. I know, I know, too slow, but... I got a feelin'...

swansprincess
7th June 2012, 07:51 PM
Everitt and malceski return. Two of the 'weakest' players for two of the hardest. Apparently balance doesn't matter for the swans..

Nico
7th June 2012, 08:10 PM

Malceski and Everitt in sure does expose our soft underbelly.

ScottH
7th June 2012, 08:17 PM
Hmmm!?!?!?

Everitt for sub??

Auntie.Gerald
7th June 2012, 08:18 PM
geese it would have been nice to play the Bombers with all our players in !

Rohan
Goodes
McGlynn
Parker

time for Macca to rally the troops !

Beerman
7th June 2012, 09:39 PM
Did anyone watch Richardson's piece on Jobe Watson on the AFL site? Didn't say much unfortunately but he is a danger player for the bombers - who do you think will get the job on him? Kennedy and O'Keefe are both 188cm, so only giving away a couple of centimetres and both are strong contested marks. You would think ROK at least would have the endurance to run with him the whole day.

RogueSwan
8th June 2012, 12:19 PM
As long as Jude has a great game we will win.
Rnd 20 2011 Loss 13 disposals 3 tackles
Rnd 2 2011 win 25 disposals 9 tackles
Rnd 11 2010 win 36 disposals 12 tackles!

Melbourne_Blood
8th June 2012, 09:40 PM
As usual, it will be won or lost in the middle. Our mids have proved plenty of times this year they can beat up on average midfields. They need to start showing they can match it with the top midfields. I have a feeling we will be on our game tomorrow, if the bombers are off theirs we should win. If they are on, they might be just too good but it will go down to the line.

Lucky Knickers
8th June 2012, 10:56 PM
Did anyone watch Richardson's piece on Jobe Watson on the AFL site? Didn't say much unfortunately but he is a danger player for the bombers - who do you think will get the job on him? Kennedy and O'Keefe are both 188cm, so only giving away a couple of centimetres and both are strong contested marks. You would think ROK at least would have the endurance to run with him the whole day.

I hope they just play JPK and Jobe head-to-head. Fun to watch.
Joey has improved massively.

Swanner
9th June 2012, 04:27 PM
I am predicting a break out game from Sam Reid tonight! 5 to 6 goals.

swans_premiers
9th June 2012, 04:41 PM

I like it

Melbourne_Blood
9th June 2012, 04:49 PM
Reid's form has been slowly improving, he's due for a big game I agree. 6 goals? Why not ? Go Reidy !!

DLBIA14
9th June 2012, 04:57 PM

That would be nice. Master and apprentice-type scenario. Their game play and body shape is remarkable similar.

On another note i think Horse has been very intelligent in resting Joey up forward. He's got body presence and developed his marking ability enough to be a threat. We are so crippled without Rohan/Goodes in the forward line that Joey with his height and size can almost play an old school full forward role. GAJ does the same.

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 06:14 PM

Nah, GWS have a bye this weekend.

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 06:16 PM
That would be nice. Master and apprentice-type scenario. Their game play and body shape is remarkable similar.

On another note i think Horse has been very intelligent in resting Joey up forward.

Should we refer to him as Mr Ed now?

I agree rest him in the pocket and not on the bench.

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 06:19 PM

Not recently. They would have more chance with JPY. Really bad singing in Jobe's ear might do the trick.

Jobe will beat him if he is not on the game. I'd beat him with the Old Testament. Dimelb will you pay that one? :D

Beerman
9th June 2012, 08:25 PM
Zaharakis out for Nathan Lovett-Murray.

stellation
9th June 2012, 08:27 PM
Did I just see Nipper warming up in the rooms with the main group?

GongSwan
9th June 2012, 08:31 PM
Did I just see Nipper warming up in the rooms with the main group?

Nipper the emergency

timr
12th June 2012, 08:51 PM

Somebody buy that man a beer.

RogueSwan
13th June 2012, 12:09 PM
As long as Jude has a great game we will win.
Rnd 20 2011 Loss 13 disposals 3 tackles
Rnd 2 2011 win 25 disposals 9 tackles
Rnd 11 2010 win 36 disposals 12 tackles!

Jude plays well --------> we beat the Bummers :clap:
Rnd 11 2012 WIN! 28 disposals 9 tackles.

dimelb
13th June 2012, 01:13 PM
Not recently. They would have more chance with JPY. Really bad singing in Jobe's ear might do the trick.

Jobe will beat him if he is not on the game. I'd beat him with the Old Testament. Dimelb will you pay that one? :DYou may be right there BRC, and I think they used to use it in the ball-up; eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth and so on. Damn the MRP.

DamY
13th June 2012, 04:35 PM
Jude plays well --------> we beat the Bummers :clap:
Rnd 11 2012 WIN! 28 disposals 9 tackles.

Bummers?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?udj40s

GongSwan
13th June 2012, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=DamY;576294]Bummers?

See BigFooty, Bay13