PDA

View Full Version : Swans v Bombers Game Day Thread

Pages : [1] 2

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 07:21 PM
Well I thought I would start my first thread on RWO.

In fact a bit of trivia, did you know that there is only 3 degrees of seperation between the Sydney Swans and me-----------> Matthew Nicks----------Tammin Sursock---------------Billy Ray and Miley.

So there you go.

Well it's all set for a big night.

A milestone game for young Jack. Will the Swans be the real thing or come out for another lame performance.

Just over an hour to go.

ugg
9th June 2012, 07:24 PM
NicMal is out sub. Myers for Essendon

Armstrong Everitt and TDL start on the bench

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 07:28 PM
Mr Ugg on the ball as usual.

I wonder if Andrejs the Giant will play forward tonight?.

ugg
9th June 2012, 07:30 PM
We are pretty tall up forward as it is. I would love to see him play on the wing

GongSwan
9th June 2012, 07:35 PM
Oh no, BT is doing the commentary, put me on suicide watch

swansprincess
9th June 2012, 07:42 PM
Late change for the bombers. Zaharakis out Lovett- Murray in.

swansprincess
9th June 2012, 07:43 PM

I had to turn over to before the game, his pre-game 'commentary' was maddening enough. It's gonna be a loooong night having to listen to his nonsense.

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 07:44 PM
Well they have Paul Roos at the Gold Coast - St Kilda game so I don't know what we can read into that.

SPOILER ALERT I use curry in my casseroles for that hidden flavour :D

I'd say that they would have Matthew Lloyd throwing up the grass in the broadcast box assisting Brian "Pumpkin Head" Taylor.

Good news, I mean bad news about Zaharakis

Cpt. Kirk
9th June 2012, 07:46 PM
Why oh why couldnt we get the spruce moose instead of BT.

On-Baller
9th June 2012, 07:50 PM
For those who have turned over due to BT's waffle you may want to turn back after the break they are showing a swans midfield meeting.**Well so they said,i guess its coming up sometime before the match.

ScottH
9th June 2012, 08:02 PM

Put the TV on suicide watch.

gumby_bolts
9th June 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ShockOfHair
9th June 2012, 08:07 PM
Freo just won their first game at the G in five years = a good day for interstate sides afflicted with Melbourne mediocrity???

Will be interesting to see how Everitt gets used. He's pacy and kicks it a long way. His big problem is consistency.

Should be a good game.

On-Baller
9th June 2012, 08:12 PM
Haha Jude looks so intense,even when just warming up he has got the snarl going. :clap:

GongSwan
9th June 2012, 08:13 PM
Put the TV on suicide watch.

Yeah, my credit card can't hack teh strain

GongSwan
9th June 2012, 08:18 PM
Haha Jude looks so intense,even when just warming up he has got the snarl going. :clap:

As long as he misses Kizza and hits Watson this time

Cheer_Cheer
9th June 2012, 08:31 PM
Malthouse is tipping us in a close one.....

Dosser
9th June 2012, 08:32 PM
I had to turn over to before the game, his pre-game 'commentary' was maddening enough. It's gonna be a loooong night having to listen to his nonsense.

I did exactly the same. Couldn't bear the thought of an extra hour of BT.

GongSwan
9th June 2012, 08:32 PM
Malthouse tipped the Bulldogs to beat us

DeadlyAkkuret
9th June 2012, 08:34 PM
Start well
Kick straight
Play four quaters

Simple enough. Let's go!

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 08:39 PM

Malthouse tipped the Bulldogs to beat us

Well there goes that tip :D

Blakey on 3AW said that Goodes was symptom free but they were taking it carefully with him and he would be back after the bye.

I hope JPK has a great game with Mummy back.

Interesting to see who watches Stanton.

Matt79
9th June 2012, 08:41 PM
Fire up Swannies!!!

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 08:42 PM
Doc Larkins says its an erectus muscle injury.

Damn age. :D

DeadlyAkkuret
9th June 2012, 08:47 PM
This telecast is cringe-worthy, start the game already. BT is a @@@@ing idiot.

swantastic
9th June 2012, 08:53 PM
we doin good

CJK
9th June 2012, 08:57 PM
yeh

swanspant12
9th June 2012, 08:59 PM
please please please keep this up boys!!

swantastic
9th June 2012, 09:09 PM
im impressed their doin awsum

CJK
9th June 2012, 09:11 PM
I see the umpires are outraged they can't give more frees against us.

Cheer Squad
9th June 2012, 09:11 PM
We'll take that - pity about Reid's missed shot at goal. That would have been very handy.

Amazing how good the game looks after 8-9 rum-and-cokes. :)

Legs Akimbo
9th June 2012, 09:12 PM
It's so frustrating watching the Essendon players automatically lead into contested balls with their head, drop their arms to draw the high tackle and drop their head as soon as there is a tackle coming. You can see our players are wise to it, they hold off at the last second with the tackle, but honestly it just @@@@s me. It's a massive blight on the game at the moment.

Daphy
9th June 2012, 09:12 PM
Whoever predicted a breakout game for Reid, so far, so good! =)

liz
9th June 2012, 09:13 PM
So far so good. Some impressive transition of the ball through the middle of the ground, and Armstrong makes us a fair bit quicker coming out of defence.

We started well against the Saints, mind you. So they need to make sure they don't lapse into complacency as the second quarter begins.

swantastic
9th June 2012, 09:14 PM
umps r blind

GongSwan
Nice first quarter, TDL great kick to Reid, that's delivery. Can we keep up the pace? Can we get far enough ahead that it won't matter? Watson still getting away a bit, but hasn't hurt us, lots of really good pressure from teh boys

Gary
Could have been better...easy to get greedy.
The challenge is to keep it up...surely we can't keep getting the run from kick outs all night!
Everyone contributing...even # 13.

Sidney V
Good quarter Sydney - shame Reid missed that last shot would have been useful - but well worked out of the back line

ShockOfHair
Great quarter. 5.3 to 1.4

Great defensive work, moving the ball really quickly, Reid catching and kicking goals. What's not to like?

Loved Jetta taking on Fletcher.

31 hard at it
9th June 2012, 09:15 PM
Great pressure from the Swans all over the ground !

It will be a test to see if they can keep up the speed of transition that has been a big factor so far.
Kudos to M.Pyke in the ruck freeing Mummy to test Fletcher.

Can't wait to see if they let Fletcher run with Jetta again :) :)

ShockOfHair
9th June 2012, 09:15 PM
Oops - that's 1.5 to the Dons.

I left out Armstrong's point. :smile:

CJK
9th June 2012, 09:16 PM
Hird the Haircut is not happy

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 09:16 PM
Well a good start so now they have to keep going.

I thought McVeigh has done some clangers and is worse on field for the Swans. The defenders have dropped ball at critical time.

Midfield and forwards doing very well. Hanners run there into the forward line was a bit slow.

Best so far - Andrejs wrap around goal and Armstrong's behind. Kick not his .... you know.......

Jetta - Fletcher combo was funny. No one would blame old Dustin not bothering.

Think Reid should have got a free in front of goals but then Shaw's free in defence in my opinion should have been in the back. So levels out.

So far so good for Reid. Another goal would have helped on the scoreboard.

Sidney V
9th June 2012, 09:21 PM
How good has Shaw been - brilliant

Wardy
9th June 2012, 09:31 PM
Great game lucky that bombers are inaccurate in front of goal - keep it up boys

CJK
9th June 2012, 09:40 PM
Booyah

swantastic
9th June 2012, 09:44 PM
swans r firein

Cheer Squad
9th June 2012, 09:45 PM
Excellent. Just excellent. Brilliant half of football. Kept them goal-less for a quarter. Apparently the first time that's ever happened at Etihad!

Someone bring me another rum and coke!

Cardinal
9th June 2012, 09:46 PM
Can someone find me those threads about how Horse has no idea, Shaw should be cut & Jetta traded- I don't have time to type with all the excitement

Bloody Hell
9th June 2012, 09:47 PM
1.11 - but it's the pressure from the Swans causing it. I'd say we've missed as many getable goals as they have. Reid...Hanners....

GongSwan
9th June 2012, 09:47 PM
Fast game, not really our style, can we keep going at this pace, if we can get further in front, the Bombers might drop their heads. I doubt either team can keep up this pace for the full game. Stanton hasn't done much, they reckon Hanners is on him, great job. Essendon can't buy a goal, but our pressure has just been outstanding, looks like the boys really want this one, how good is Jetts

BillyRayCypress
9th June 2012, 09:48 PM
They said last time Bombers scored 1 goal before halftime was in SF in 2004.

They have never been held to one goal at half time at Etihad - SO NEW SYDNEY RECORD!!!!

31 hard at it
Enjoying this as Swans lead by 6 goals at Half time.

Pressure is tremendous and it will be a real test of endurance at the end.

Swans have shown they can more than match it with the No. 2 Side.

According to BT (I can't believe I would even listen to anything he says) Swans are playing as a team and thats what wins Premierships...

Forget what I just said .... keep a lid on it !!

Cheer_Cheer
Jetta is just getting betta and betta.. The Bomber are in shock.. Keep it up boys !

Gary
9th June 2012, 09:49 PM
robably the best half of Swans footy I can remember. No passengers. Can we kee it gong?

liz
9th June 2012, 09:49 PM
That was a pretty odd quarter. Our lads were smashed at the ground level contested ball but they are tackling well enough to just get the ball back, and then using it pretty well as they slice through the middle on the rebound. Were a little wasteful with that final ball into the forward line, but I guess we shouldn't complain given the Dons' conversion rate.

The defence has been sensational, absorbing a huge amount of pressure. But Jetta is the absolute highlight for me. If we can get the ball in his hands I reckon we can score from pretty much every forward entry. I love how he's not become goal hungry. He could easily (and justifiably) had a couple of pot shots for goal late in that quarter, but instead created a couple for Jack.

Oh, and that deliberate out of bounds against Smith was absolute rubbish. He was handballing to himself because he had absolutely no other options other than to hold on and get tackled. He even got to his own ball before it crossed the boundary line!!!

ScottH
9th June 2012, 09:50 PM

It's pretty close so far!!

Nich
9th June 2012, 09:51 PM
Yep keep a lid on! 6 goals up is good but 6 goals up at final siren is more important. Loving Armstrongs energy. Working real hard.

swantastic
It's pretty close so far!!hahaha if u say so

Sidney V
Armstrong has been the major ball winner along with Watson - who would have thought - looking very good - lets hope the mental and physical applications by all Sydney players run out next half

CJK
I love how the 'expert' commentary have NFI that it's 100 games for Jack

mcs
9th June 2012, 09:52 PM
That smith deliberate call was right in front of me, appalling call as he had noone within cooee to play it to. Great first half but we need to go on with it and smash them for 4 quarters. Come on bloods another half like that, show them no mercy!

CJK
9th June 2012, 09:53 PM
2 Rangas on TV at the same time?

ACMA complaint incoming.

ScottH
9th June 2012, 09:54 PM
That was a pretty odd quarter. Our lads were smashed at the ground level contested ball but they are tackling well enough to just get the ball back, and then using it pretty well as they slice through the middle on the rebound. Were a little wasteful with that final ball into the forward line, but I guess we shouldn't complain given the Dons' conversion rate.

The defence has been sensational, absorbing a huge amount of pressure. But Jetta is the absolute highlight for me. If we can get the ball in his hands I reckon we can score from pretty much every forward entry. I love how he's not become goal hungry. He could easily (and justifiably) had a couple of pot shots for goal late in that quarter, but instead created a couple for Jack.

Oh, and that deliberate out of bounds against Smith was absolute rubbish. He was handballing to himself because he had absolutely no other options other than to hold on and get tackled. He even got to his own ball before it crossed the boundary line!!!

Agree.
And all our Everitt bashing, he's been pretty decent tonight.
So has Armstrong.

All the other regular suspects are contributing as usual.
ROK is probably not having a lot of influence but is competing for the hard ball.

Swans500
Jetta has become a joy to watch.....

31 hard at it
Bombers lead inside 50 's 36 to 29 .

Our backline if playing really well .... give it to them Ted :)

Just a bit more steadiness as we run it into the forward line.
Armstrong with 7 kicks and 10 hb leads the Swans possessions !

CJK
9th June 2012, 09:55 PM
So no Swans fans should donate to this charity? Ok..

They hate money do they?

MightyBloods
9th June 2012, 09:56 PM
6 goals up but ONLY half-time. Ideally, early goals in the third may break them...but reverse it and it will make for a nervous last quarter. I love our hunger. We clearly are hurting from our previous visits to melbourne.

Matt79
9th June 2012, 09:58 PM
Amazing scoreline considering we are getting smashed in the contested possesions and inside 50s. But it is a testament to our tackling pressure, run and spread from the contest. Defensive cohesion has been supurb!

Long way to go but a great start!
Go Swans!

ugg
9th June 2012, 09:59 PM
Definitely wouldn't count my chickens yet, the Bombers are generating significant amount of inside 50 entries and you can't imagine they will be as wasteful as they were in the first half

Wardy
9th June 2012, 10:00 PM
OMG what was that Pre game entertainment ? if you can call it that- the bloke with the microphone looked and sounded like he had been stung by a swarm of bees!

monopoly19
9th June 2012, 10:01 PM
Loving Armstrong's game tonight. It's the first time I've really seen him get in amongst it all.

Bird has got to be one of the hardest players to tackle in the comp. His step/baulk is amongst the best in the game, IMO.

They've been a joy to watch so far - hopefully it continues!

ScottH
How was Judes tackle in the back??
Stupid Umpire!!

Melbourne_Blood
Armstrong is good. Jetta is great! Reidy showed some good signs. Midfield is on. Defence superbbb! Loving our pressure. Keep it up Boys, and we'll have the points!

Wardy
9th June 2012, 10:02 PM
Definitely wouldn't count my chickens yet, the Bombers are generating significant amount of inside 50 entries and you can't imagine they will be as wasteful as they were in the first half

Agree wont be putting the leave form for the granny in just yet

GongSwan
1300 give em a spray? No seriously, it's only half time. Boys going beautifully. Intensity, it's there this week, all Melbourne based fans would be happy so far. Just need to go right on with it and prove we should be in the top 4. All this with Goodes, Parker and McG out

ShockOfHair
My favourite Swans games - where the commentators shake their heads and say "we didn't see this coming".

Best moment was Grundy marking right on the line. Howlett and the crowd were already celebrating.

Jetta awesome but our back six are extraordinary. Surely the best in the league.

Bloody Hell
9th June 2012, 10:07 PM
I actually think McVeigh is on Stanton.

swantastic
9th June 2012, 10:11 PM
hanners bit sore

swantastic
9th June 2012, 10:12 PM
Jetta has become a joy to watch.....hell yeh

CJK
9th June 2012, 10:17 PM
LOVING Hanners busting balls for being taken outta the game.

swantastic
9th June 2012, 10:20 PM
LOVING Hanners busting balls for being taken outta the game.he was spewin hes been dragged

swantastic
9th June 2012, 10:21 PM
JETTA U STAR

CJK
9th June 2012, 10:29 PM
Bet those stinkin' Dons would love to have Ted in their team right now.

monopoly19
9th June 2012, 10:33 PM
Dear Essendon fans,

You do not get frees just because your team is playing like crap.

Love, Me.

ugg
9th June 2012, 10:34 PM
Ok I was wrong. The bombers can be even more wasteful! 21 inside 50s for one goal

Cheer Squad
9th June 2012, 10:35 PM
Wonderful performance. Simply wonderful.

I'll be posting slurred responses at this rate...:)

Wardy
9th June 2012, 10:36 PM
Let's hope that the Dons still have the yips in the 4th qtr

Cheer_Cheer
9th June 2012, 10:36 PM
Our defensive work has been superb.. To keep a team as good as Essendon to this kind of score by 3/4 time is miraculous..

GongSwan
9th June 2012, 10:37 PM
I actually think McVeigh is on Stanton.

McV and Hanners were sharing him, not sure what's going on now, it's just too fast. Can Essendon kick 10 goals in the last after 2 in 3 quarters? I think not, but I'm still biting nails here. What a team effort, sensational game so far, all the answers, Ted is a magic man, and our defence is just superb

Melbourne_Blood
The essendon crowd are surely the worst, they appeal for everything. Can't stand them, and I'm not even there! Go Bloods !

ShockOfHair
37-56 inside 50s for the game.

Really good effort that quarter. I think the Bombers really miss Zaharakis who could play that outside role, but Hird has really been outcoached. Didn't expect this from Sydney and doesn't have any answers.

BillyRayCypress
Latest news from the Swans bench:

Daniel is across Dr gibbs knee and a very large wooden paddle has been called for.

31 hard at it
9th June 2012, 10:39 PM
Swans 8 .6 . 74
Bommers 2 . 15 . 27

What pressure from the whole Swans team :)

Swans lead tackls 65 to 48

Main Stat Essendon lead in is Free kicks 17 to our 12 at 3/4 time.

Noticed also that BT has not called Pyke at all

Jude with 3 kicks and 19 handballs getting it in close!

swantastic
9th June 2012, 10:39 PM
we r effin flyin

lwoggardner
9th June 2012, 10:40 PM
I know we are not used to playing 2 ruckmen but I wouldn't have thought you'd normally play *both* at each ruck contest

swantastic
9th June 2012, 10:50 PM
go B1

CJK
9th June 2012, 10:52 PM
Nerves? Or just me?

monopoly19
9th June 2012, 10:53 PM
Why on earth is LRT taking the centre tap when Pyke & Mumford are both in the team?

Cheer_Cheer
9th June 2012, 10:58 PM
They are now with 16 points.. 6 out of the last 7 goals to the Dons...

DeadlyAkkuret
9th June 2012, 10:59 PM
@@@@ Sydney, wtf? Just can't do it easily against a good side. @@@@ing stressful right down to the last minute.

swantastic
9th June 2012, 11:00 PM
WTF ru doin swans

Wardy
9th June 2012, 11:03 PM
I feel sick!

Wardy
9th June 2012, 11:04 PM
We've run out of legs - BT just shut the @@@@ up!!!!

Cheer_Cheer
9th June 2012, 11:04 PM
Now within a goal... Bugger..

DeadlyAkkuret
9th June 2012, 11:06 PM
We'll be a laughing stock after this. I was praising them so much at 3QT.....for what?

swantastic
9th June 2012, 11:10 PM
We'll be a laughing stock after this. I was praising them so much at 3QT.....for what?bloody oath we will b

Bloody Hell
9th June 2012, 11:11 PM
@@@@ me!

Bloody Hell
9th June 2012, 11:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swantastic
9th June 2012, 11:15 PM
thank god

Cheer Squad
Always knew we were gonna win....:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Legs Akimbo
OMFG I am weeping.

Wardy
9th June 2012, 11:16 PM
Thank god that's over !!!!! My neighbors will be wondering who was being murdered ony lounge room!

Cheer_Cheer
9th June 2012, 11:16 PM
This is such a strange feeling... We won but geez.. It was nearly the worst loss ever..

monopoly19
9th June 2012, 11:17 PM
I know I should be excited, but I'm just so disappointed with that last quarter. Gah.

CJK
lol

ugg
They never make it easy do they. Going to need the extra holiday to recover

jono2707
9th June 2012, 11:18 PM
What a hard tough fast game. Geeeeeez.... I need new undies....

MightyBloods
9th June 2012, 11:18 PM
Geez....no wonder I taped the game and couldnt watch it live...even at 3qtr time! Still..a good win as we were out on our legs. Next week I'll cope better ....vs Bye

Daisi
9th June 2012, 11:19 PM
I really thought we were going to lose that...I hate the bombers, it's always a close game against them...

MightyBloods
9th June 2012, 11:20 PM
oohh by the way...that win puts us top!!

Sidney V
YOU BAAUUTEY

Swansinger
One word : TOP !

Cant turn right
9th June 2012, 11:22 PM
SHAKIN'

Melbournehammer
Had to go away with my family for the weekend. First game I haven't seen for since 2002. Really great game. Always felt that if essendon kicked straight they would be in it, but really didn't think they would get there.mthought we would need three goals in the last quarter, but just staggering that we couldn't just shut it down in the last earlier. Hate o keefe loose, he is just too slow to play that position. Why mal hand passed to him I don't know because mal is a better kick than him. Watching the lads they are so seriously pumped so very proud of them, but even so we really need to start winning the contests a bit better than we are managing just at the moment.

All in all amazing win well done to everyone involved, and can't believe that I went away....

liz
I swear I am going to give up watching footy. Isn't it meant to be fun and entertaining??? Not health threatening and teeth gnashing.

swans_premiers
9th June 2012, 11:23 PM
I have not been that nervous since the grannys

Sidney V
That was the most unenjoyable game I have ever enjoyed

DeadlyAkkuret
TopOfTheAFLLadder happiness

gumby_bolts
10th June 2012, 12:04 AM
To use the words of that dolt 'wow wee'. How many years have they taken off us with these kind of games?!
Hey, we won in Melbourne! Yes!

Cheer Squad
10th June 2012, 12:05 AM
Well, that's our revenge for Round 19, 2001...:tongue:

monopoly19
10th June 2012, 12:06 AM
I love Tony Armstrong's enthusiasm so much! He also appears to love a hug :tongue:

ScottH
10th June 2012, 12:09 AM
Heart rate is still high.
Loved the win, but boy did we try to throw that one away.
Ground it out for 3 qtrs only to be overrun in the last.

Amazing game.

Cheer_Cheer
10th June 2012, 12:10 AM
It is fantastic that we won and that we are top of the ladder.. Though I am not sure with such a bad last quarter whether we take any momentum into the Geelong game in 2 weeks.. Conflicting emotions..

swansprincess
10th June 2012, 12:11 AM
I was close to passing out in that last minute, my heart rate hit a new high. Tony, teddy, jetts and jude were the standouts for me! Bloody good win in the end

Bloody Hell
I think it's fair to say the total domination the Swans enjoyed in the first 3 quarters resulting from a greater effort....cost them in being able to run out the game. Can't remember the last time the Swans conceded 9 goals in a quarter.

top40
I have not been that nervous since the grannys

My mind was focused on that last quarter against the Kangaroos at the SCG back in August 2004. IF we had lost we would have got the "distinction" of being on the receiving end of the two greatest 4th quartet comebacks in history! (remember St Kilda 1994?). As it turns out its our first win against a top 8 Bombers side in Melbourne in 23 years.

swanspant12
10th June 2012, 12:12 AM
hahahahahaha ESSENDUDS. their fans are true flogs. my god i couldnt believe the umpiring! everytime their fans booed the got a free kick. the amount of free kicks we should have got was ridiculous. Nonetheless so happy we won..how sweet to get revenge on this lot who i bloody hate

JudesaGun
I think we really found a player in Armstrong tonight. He's a perfect foul for Shaw off half back... and he's a great user of the ball. I also really like Everitt's game off the wing, although he was still a bit iffy in some contests.

The Pyke/ Mumford combo seems to be working ok, but that may well change when Mummy's time in the middle increases.

I think our best team at this stage (all fit and healthy) is:

Out:
Everitt, Pyke, ??

In:
Goodes, Parker, McGlynn

swansprincess
It is fantastic that we won and that we are top of the ladder.. Though I am not sure with such a bad last quarter whether we take any momentum into the Geelong game in 2 weeks.. Conflicting emotions..

we take a win and a returning goodes into that game (hopefully), that's momentum enough for me

swansprincess
10th June 2012, 12:15 AM
Also would just like to happily eat my words about everitt; he played a good game as far as I saw and it will be tough to negate who makes way for goodes and any other fit players coming back.

Bloody Hell
The boys started the bye early.

BillyRayCypress
I was watchin the game on my big telly in my man cave and I was thinkin if there was an exercise to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory then the Swans were going to do it.

We nearly set two records in the night.

The penalty count was 23 to 13 and 6 to 1 in that final quarter.

However if you look at the stats for the second half and the game in general, the Bombers clearly should have one on them alone.

Didn't think the boys could do it but they had to play like that to do it.

Nothin like a last quarter and 47 point lead to the Swans to get the blood racing.

That could be the most important win of the season as it gets us up for final four contention in the run home.

Would have loved to be sitting next to their cheer squad at full time. Especially after the way they carried on against GWS.

If you're gonna beat the bumbers, a sniff of victory and a 4 point what if loss, is the sweetest way to do it.

swanspant12
10th June 2012, 12:16 AM
Armstrong was brilliant tonight. Offered so much off half back. Very happy!

swansprincess
10th June 2012, 12:16 AM

smart man

hot potato
10th June 2012, 12:17 AM
Losing that game would have been very hard to swallow... thanks for not allowing it to happen, especially Jack, Jetta, straight kickin Sam, Shaw and the rest ... would have awful going into the bye... well done boys.

Cardinal
10th June 2012, 12:18 AM
My mind was focused on that last quarter against the Kangaroos at the SCG back in August 2004. IF we had lost we would have got the "distinction" of being on the receiving end of the two greatest 4th quartet comebacks in history! (remember St Kilda 1994?). As it turns out its our first win against a top 8 Bombers side in Melbourne in 23 years.

ha - I was thinking of north's game too in between counting my pulse. So much relief out there in Swans's land

DLBIA14
10th June 2012, 12:21 AM
I really don't know how to respond to that game.

Before it started I was mentally preparing myself for a bad loss, rationalising that we had some key players missing.

Halfway through the 2nd quarter I was calling myself an arsehole for doubting this committed, balanced, WEAPON of a team that was playing beautiful footy. :clap:

At 3/4 time I was daydreaming about how pretty our percentage was going to look and preparing to revel in the massive fallout. How good would it be seeing the rabid Dons fans loose their minds? Umpire obsessed @@@@wits. :rofl

Halfway though the last I was thinking 'stop trying to @@@@ with me Sydney!!' *Angry grumble grumble*

10 minutes to go and I was ready to slit my wrists.

5 minutes to go and I was mentally preparing to lose and thinking 'there is no rational explanation for this level of ineptitude!' :cower:

THAT mark 1 sec before the siren and I realised the cruel irony.

Now at the end of the game, I think I'm just relieved. It wasn't the best way to end, but 4 points is 4 points in more ways than one. :)

dimelb
10th June 2012, 12:22 AM
We missed Hannebery after he went off. Mal tried but it wasn't the same.
Also what happened to Pyke in the last quarter? Mummy was absolutely stuffed and we saw LRT in the ruck - should never happen.
And can anyone tell me what the 50 metre penalty was for?
But a great effort from the team to hang on (just!) when out on their feet. At the legends lunch yesterday they had a raffle: 4th prize was a heart monitor - would have gone off the scale and busted tonight.
And the umpiring was pretty ordinary tonight - thank goodness they got the last decision right.

ScottH
10th June 2012, 12:23 AM
I think we really found a player in Armstrong tonight. He's a perfect foul for Shaw off half back... and he's a great user of the ball. I also really like Everitt's game off the wing, although he was still a bit iffy in some contests.

The Pyke/ Mumford combo seems to be working ok, but that may well change when Mummy's time in the middle increases.

I think our best team at this stage (all fit and healthy) is:

Out:
Everitt, Pyke, ??

In:
Goodes, Parker, McGlynn

Parker is gone for 6-8 weeks, and not sure if Goodes will be right for the Cats game.

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 12:24 AM
Dear Essendon fans,

You do not get frees just because your team is playing like crap.

Love, Me.

Sure they can! The umpies gave em an armchair ride into that last quarter. We couldn't buy a free from em even though our boys were getting belted around the head most of the game. 23-13 free kicks for the game - what a joke.

That said, what a heart stopper! Look at all the stats and it comes back to Bombers woeful accuracy - from 2.15 for three quarters to 9.1 for the last, with the result there for all to see! :) Oh well, on every measure except the one that counts (the scoreboard) we probably lose that game! Squares up for the game they blew against the Crows I guess - even down the fact the game was live to the very last second! :) Gotta love our boys hey! The game was played at breakneck pace (not exactly our preferred style), so to come away with a win, whatever the circumstances, is bluddy awesome!

How great was it to see Dempsey play on! Thank heavens there are no countdown clocks at AFL grounds! :)

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:25 AM
And can anyone tell me what the 50 metre penalty was for?
But a great effort from the team to hang on (just!) when out on their feet. At the legends lunch yesterday they had a raffle: 4th prize was a heart monitor - would have gone off the scale and busted tonight.

Pyke ran across the mark.

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:26 AM
Parker is gone for 6-8 weeks, and not sure if Goodes will be right for the Cats game.

Blakey said pre-game on 3AW he will be right to return. No symptoms now.

hot potato
10th June 2012, 12:28 AM
hahahahahaha ESSENDUDS. their fans are true flogs. my god i couldnt believe the umpiring! everytime their fans booed the got a free kick. the amount of free kicks we should have got was ridiculous. Nonetheless so happy we won..how sweet to get revenge on this lot who i bloody hate

Grateful however to the ump who called the play on correctly in the dying second !

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:29 AM

Before it started I was mentally preparing myself for a bad loss, rationalising that we had some key players missing.

Halfway through the 2nd quarter I was calling myself an arsehole for doubting this committed, balanced, WEAPON of a team that was playing beautiful footy. :clap:

At 3/4 time I was daydreaming about how pretty our percentage was going to look and preparing to revel in the massive fallout. How good would it be seeing the rabid Dons fans loose their minds? Umpire obsessed @@@@wits. :rofl

Halfway though the last I was thinking 'stop trying to @@@@ with me Sydney!!' *Angry grumble grumble*

5 minutes to go and I was mentally preparing to lose and thinking 'there is no rational explanation for this level of ineptitude!' :cower:

Now at the end of the game, I think I'm just relieved. It wasn't the best way to end, but 4 points is 4 points in more ways than one. :)

Wow, I just watched the game. I must be doing something wrong.

I can now focus on next week's $3:90 chips at SKODA.

Cpt. Kirk
10th June 2012, 12:29 AM
We have got to be one of the worst teams in the league for 1 quarter blowouts both ways ie. Richmond, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Essendon, Fremantle and melbourne all of these games we have either really, really good quarters or really really poor quarters ie. 1st quarter richmond and 4th quarter essendon i would be interested to see the stats.

GongSwan
10th June 2012, 12:30 AM
Yes we were up against it in the last but the boys hung on, obviously the effort of the first 3 after losing the clearances and the cont possessions was a bit much for them. The goals we kicked in the last were crucial, Jack and Jetta were amazing, as were our back 6. To win with the palyers we had out and Hanners subbed off was fantastic. He would have run the game out better than most. I feel much better after changing my underwear

aardvark
10th June 2012, 12:30 AM
I think Armstrong has gone past Mal after tonights effort. Maccas effort on Stanton was excellent for 3 quarters.

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 12:31 AM
The one thing that annoys me is we had a chance to bury this @@@@@ of a side. But now the idiot bomber fans can live in their little world where they are so great and we were lucky.

Im glad we won but bugger me

Beerman
10th June 2012, 12:31 AM
The 50m penalty was for Pyke running across the mark. The ump set it about 10m ahead of where the incident occurred, and I think that confused him. No excuse though. I was a bit disappointed in Pyke in the ruck in the 3rd quarter actually. Thought his second efforts weren't great - he looked like he didn't really know what to do and he wasn't helping out much when the ball was on the ground.

I wasn't convinced by Armstrong until tonight. He was fantastic, particularly early on.

What the hell happened in the last quarter? I was worried that we would run out of leg speed after working so hard, but I wasn't expecting such a total collapse. From being on top of the ball all the time, all of a sudden we were chasing Essendon players all over the ground. Perhaps some more fitness work is required. The bye was a curse last year, but this year I think it might be timed well - between two very tough games.

Still, a win is a win and if we want to be top-4 we have to win some of these so I'm happy.

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:32 AM
Grateful however to the ump who called the play on correctly in the dying second !

Someone rang up on 3AW post game and said it was different ruling with Fesolo a few weeks back.

The umpire was correct in his ruling tonight. The player played on before the siren so it was an easy call for the umpire. However, it was good he called it anyway.

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 12:32 AM

+1

These games show we are all just playthings for the Footy Gods! And they have a wicked sense of humour!

2.15 for three quarters (snigger snigger)
9.1 for the last quarter (umm, where did THAT come from)?

On balance, I think they must have decided to mess with the bombers and their fans' heads just a wee tad more than ours! :)

And just to show how wicked they can be (and that they have callous disregard for footy tippers across the land) they even allowed Freo to win at the MCG against the 'rampant' Tigers this afternoon! They showed no interest in Metricon Stadium today though, and who could blame them really . . .

swansprincess
10th June 2012, 12:33 AM
I'm a bit disappointed though that we're not really being given credit for what was a brilliant three quarters.

The front page of the afl.com.au now is "the split second decision that cost the dons a miracle win".
First: it was the right call -dempsey clearly played on, and second: he was not a given to kick it anyway! We won that fair and square and I bloody hope the papers tomorrow don't print the same tripe, but they no doubt will.

Beerman
10th June 2012, 12:35 AM

Ahhh, I was young and naieve once too.

My wife asked me how it was going in the first quarter. My reply "Bad. We're up by 20. I like it when we're behind early and I can get my disappointment and disgust over and done with early in the night".

How those words haunted me in the last quarter :smile:

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:36 AM
What the hell happened in the last quarter? .

It's called the Sydney Swans leading by 47 points at the last quarter syndrome. Didn't surprise me at all.

They interviewed JPK on 3AW and asked him what he really thought when the Bombers were just four points behind. He said, I thought we needed another goal. Although it sounded like he thought they might have been gone.

sam7
10th June 2012, 12:37 AM
It was a terrific win! Essendon are a top 8 side and we beat them in melbourne. Horse coached well. Enjoy the moment swans fans.

aardvark
10th June 2012, 12:37 AM
Ahhh, I was young and naieve once too.

My wife asked me how it was going in the first quarter. My reply "Bad. We're up by 20. I like it when we're behind early and I can get my disappointment and disgust over and done with early in the night".

How those words haunted me in the last quarter :smile:

Had a similar conversation with my better half, I just knew something like that was going to happen.

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 12:38 AM
Someone rang up on 3AW post game and said it was different ruling with Fesolo a few weeks back.

The umpire was correct in his ruling tonight. The player played on before the siren so it was an easy call for the umpire. However, it was good he called it anyway.

Well, since they only ever pay 'what they see' according to the AFL, I'm with you. He saw Dempsey play on. He called it - siren went simultaneously or within nano seconds either way, and playing on just after the siren would similarly have ended the game. Last time I checked, the only player allowed to run off the line after the siren and still have the game stay alive is Buddy!!! ;) And sorry Dempsey, you just aint as special as Buddy! ;)

Beerman
10th June 2012, 12:39 AM
I'm a bit disappointed though that we're not really being given credit for what was a brilliant three quarters.

The front page of the afl.com.au now is "the split second decision that cost the dons a miracle win".
First: it was the right call -dempsey clearly played on, and second: he was not a given to kick it anyway! We won that fair and square and I bloody hope the papers tomorrow don't print the same tripe, but they no doubt will.

+1. Although for those who like the Swans to fly under the radar it is pretty much an ideal result.

Interesting that after only two years, the commentators seem to have twigged that our game plan is not the same as it used to be. We are faster, play on more often and score more. I don't think any of them have bothered actually thinking about how we play since 2006.

Bloody Hell

Dempsey knew he'd done it....he looked at the upm pleadingly, but it was too late.

swansprincess
It was a terrific win! Essendon are a top 8 side and we beat them in melbourne. Horse coached well. Enjoy the moment swans fans.

well said!

baskin
Just returned from the game.....I'm exhausted so the players must be wrecked!
There is no doubt we missed Hannebery in the last quarter. I wasn't confident about getting close to Essendon with both Parker & McGlynn out so losing a third 'hard at it' midfielder was always going to test the team. I know there were a lot of goals scored but an almost 36min quarter is too much.
I will sleep well tonight if I can get my heart to stop racing!

On another note, a number of Bomber supporters (?) near us left the game during the third quarter. They missed the best bit!

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:40 AM
These games show we are all just playthings for the Footy Gods! And they have a wicked sense of humour!

No you take back control with alcohol and medication (legal type naturally).

sam7
10th June 2012, 12:41 AM
I thought pikey did a good job tonight. Dont understand the negativity towards him!

rojo
10th June 2012, 12:42 AM
It was incredible footy by the Swans for the first three quarters. After the 1st qutr when someone in the commentary box and James Hird said that it was very unSwans like play !!! I thought how patronising is that. But I have to admit that it was a bit true, so many great passages of play and heroic deeds, and not just for the first quarter. It has got to be the best they have played and sustained for so long, this year at least. Pity about the last quarter. I think a few of them lost their composure (among other things) during that heart-stopping Bomber onslaught!

hot potato
10th June 2012, 12:44 AM
+1

2.15 for three quarters (snigger snigger)
9.1 for the last quarter (umm, where did THAT come from)?

On balance, I think they must have decided to mess with the bombers and their fans' heads just a wee tad more than ours! :)

And just to show how wicked they can be (and that they have callous disregard for footy tippers across the land) they even allowed Freo to win at the MCG against the 'rampant' Tigers this afternoon! They showed no interest in Metricon Stadium today though, and who could blame them really . . .

If the bombers fans havent spent all their wages on counselling after losing to the D's , they will spend anything remaining this week on same.
Horse was getting pretty volatile with his phone in the last quarter, hope HE'S OK.... !

aardvark
10th June 2012, 12:46 AM
I thought pikey did a good job tonight. Dont understand the negativity towards him!

The problem is Ryder 41 hitouts, Pyke 14 Hitouts. He competed OK and was a bit better around the ground with 12 possies.

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:46 AM
Horse was getting hoarse. It's Mr Ed now.

sam7
10th June 2012, 12:47 AM
You have to give louey credit. He continues to contribute goals and run and carry even when teams are trying to shut him down. He is a real success story.

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 12:48 AM
Reid and tdl went missing after good starts

GoSouth33
Last quarter felt like the closing stages of the 05 grand final. Totally wrung out at the end. Hated the free kick count against us, really helped the Bombers hang in there and kept their momentum going. Perhaps we should focus on how good we were for three quarters and not how bad we were in the last. Surely we go into the Geelong game in a fortnights with our tails up. If we can't pack the SCG for that night something will be wrong.

Cheer_Cheer
The reason I love AFL above every other sport is because I believe 99 times out of 100 the best team wins.. I couldn't imagine being a soccer fan.. We were the best tonight.. Simple as that.. The bombers missed shots.. That was largely due to our pressure. We were the best team.. No doubt... We won.. We are top of he ladder and playing a pretty ordinary looking Geelong (most likely minus Hunt) at the SCG in 2 weeks time with Goodsey coming back into the forward line. I reckon the way we played in the 1st half will confuse the hell out of the rest of the competition.. Have we taken "tempo football" to a new level...

Beerman
10th June 2012, 12:49 AM
Pity about the last quarter. I think a few of them lost their composure (among other things) during that heart-stopping Bomber onslaught!

The great thing about winning a game like that is the confidence it gives the players next time there's a comeback and it's close. They can go into that situation next time knowing that if they put in, they will win. It makes a big difference .

jono2707
10th June 2012, 12:49 AM
My offsider said it was the best game he's seen, in a few a short years of following the Swans. Congrats to Essendon for sterling fight back, but we hung in at the end and deserved the win. And he loves Jetta (ours of course...)... Yay!

sam7
10th June 2012, 12:50 AM
The problem is Ryder 41 hitouts, Pyke 14 Hitouts. He competed OK and was a bit better around the ground with 12 possies.

No pyke in last term and we got smashed out of middle

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 12:51 AM

Sucks doesn't it. More appropriate to quote the 2.15 for the first three quarters, but that would also serve to gloss over a pretty fine swans performance. Game wasn't played on our preferred terms, we had to run and chase so so hard all game, and beat the three blind mice for a fair portion of it (mostly in the last quarter) to get a really gutsy win. They might be referring to Dempsey's decision, but it is so poorly written, who would know?!?!

The whole article is a load of tosh. Apparently the Swans "appeared home when they held the Bombers to just 2.15 by three-quarter-time and made surprisingly easy work of the contest".

Nothing - apart from the scoreboard for the first three quarters - appeared easy in that game! It was intense from start to finish, a bit different to our most recent Melbourne based efforts, when we seemed to mentally go wandering through poppy fields for most of both games! That wasn't the case tonight - losing Hanners hurt, and the boys were run pretty ragged by the last quarter. And any team that enters the 50m arc 78 or so times is going to be hard to handle when they swing their goal kicking accuracy from 11% to 90% in the space of 30 minutes!

Taking it all in, just feels sooooo good to be on the right side of the scoreline hey! :)

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 12:51 AM
I feel like essendon the club itself actually dont rate the side the way hirdy talked for instance. Seemed so shocked we played as well as we did

Maybe i read too much into it

Beerman
10th June 2012, 12:52 AM

He was ok around the ground. Great work in the first(?) quarter when the ball came deep into our defensive area and he crashed the pack and spoiled. But he ain't no Mumford in a stoppage situation with the ball on the ground.

liz
10th June 2012, 12:55 AM
Last quarter felt like the closing stages of the 05 grand final. Totally wrung out at the end. Hated the free kick count against us, really helped the Bombers hang in there and kept their momentum going. Perhaps we should focus on how good we were for three quarters and not how bad we were in the last. Surely we go into the Geelong game in a fortnights with our tails up. If we can't pack the SCG for that night something will be wrong.

I thought we were ordinary in many aspects for much of the game. Particularly in the contested ball. We have to thank our defence for withstanding so much pressure in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and Lewis J for using the ball so effectively when we got it in the clear.

sam7
10th June 2012, 12:56 AM
I thought we were ordinary in many aspects for much of the game. Particularly in the contested ball. We have to thank our defence for withstanding so much pressure in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and Lewis J for using the ball so effectively when we got it in the clear.

What aspects were we ordinary in?

aardvark
10th June 2012, 12:56 AM
I feel like essendon the club itself actually dont rate the side the way hirdy talked for instance. Seemed so shocked we played as well as we did

Essendons whole approach under Hird reeks of arrogance so its no surprise really.

GongSwan
10th June 2012, 12:58 AM

Probably not, they expected us to try to clog it up and play stoppage footy. I think Horse has worked out that this is great on the SCG, but on longer grounds, spread, run, carry and spot up yr forwards is bettter. Plan B

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 01:00 AM

I think that was harsh comments. I thought our defence was a bit shaky early if anything. They did improve in the 2nd and 3rd quarters but you need to look at that stats of the game and see how lucky we were.

Essendon are a very good side having only lost 1 game so far. Well now 2.

The contested ball was the best part for the first 3 quarters even the pumpkin heads said the pressure the Swans were applyind was amazing.

sam7
10th June 2012, 01:01 AM
Probably not, they expected us to try to clog it up and play stoppage footy. I think Horse has worked out that this is great on the SCG, but on longer grounds, spread, run, carry and spot up yr forwards is bettter. Plan B

So true- the mix between our inside and outside players is really exciting!

SwansFan1972
No you take back control with alcohol and medication (legal type naturally).

:) Risky - then you might start talking to them directly and hearing their musings! Could be some kind of conversation though - what would our top questions be?

- Why did you let the Drug Fuelled Beagles hold us at bay in the last quarter in 06? ....
- Why did you put the ball just out of plugger's reach ten years earlier? ...
- Why did you let Plugger break the goal kicking record in front of the ladies stand, instead of in front of the common crowd (though we are happy you had Kel kick it to him)? ...
- Why did you put some nuff nuff named Staker in Bazza's swing zone? ...
- Why Collingwood? ...

Any other burning questions out there Swans folk - just send em through to our pickled friend Billy here and see what the footy gods have to say!! :)

Nico
No pyke in last term and we got smashed out of middle

Smashed out of the middle all game.

rojo
10th June 2012, 01:04 AM

Very good point. There is a Plan B, 'yay', which when it is executed so well, is exciting to watch.

Bloody Hell
10th June 2012, 01:09 AM
He was ok around the ground. Great work in the first(?) quarter when the ball came deep into our defensive area and he crashed the pack and spoiled. But he ain't no Mumford in a stoppage situation with the ball on the ground.

He took a ripping contested mark on the wing.

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 01:10 AM

Reckon you're spot on - Hirdy would never admit it, but he hates the Swans. More likely distaste rather than disrespect though. :) Goes all the way back to 96 when he was a relative strapling* (compared to the player he became) - he had a chance to win an early season game at the SCG (before the golden run to the grannie) but fluffed his kick for a point and it was a draw. Bombers led by 27 or so points late and let the win get away.

The next important point he saw at the SCG was Plugger's most famous, and he also got a belted around a bit that night. Two potentially scarring events on a young player, but arguably helped contribute to what a great player he became.

He was always at his best against us, and certainly celebrated wins against us very passionately! Tonights result would definitely 'be sticking in his craw' (not sure what his craw is, but my nanna used to love that phrase, bless her), and it seems appropriate in the circumstances! :)

* a very successful one even at that stage. Had already got a taste for winning flags in their famous 1993 side in only his second season, and would have been expecting to at least make the grannie in 96 - the swans had dragged themselves off the bottom of the ladder only two seasons before and were up against a pretty hot bombers side which would go on to have a fair bit of success (perhaps not as much as they should have, arguably blowing flags in 1999 and 2001).

Nico
10th June 2012, 01:12 AM
Jetta is a brilliant footballer.

swanspant12
10th June 2012, 01:18 AM
Thank god we beat this arrogant mob. How about brian taylor? he is the biggest flog in commentating ever! he was just barracking for the bummers at the end the goose

sam7
10th June 2012, 01:23 AM
Who did what in ressys? Tommy mitchell?

TPR4
10th June 2012, 01:31 AM
Really even performance tonight. Jetta continues to excel, he's having a blinding year and was the most damaging player on the ground. Macca's job on Stanton was exceptional, you can't forget the sort of footy he'd been playing before tonight (AA form). For the first 3/4s especially but all night, the 3 talls down back were rock solid. Ted, Reg and AJ (first half mostly) read the play beautifully, went third man up when needed, rebounded well and most importantly, nullified Crameri and Hurley, who both can seriously play. Armstrong played Mal's usual role, and used it nicely off both feet. Looked composed too under some heat.

Finally, Jobe Watson... what a player. Just a tough, inspirational gun.

Blue Sun
10th June 2012, 01:32 AM
Just got home from the game. Crazy stuff.

I was at the SCG in August 2004 when the Sydney trainer died and the Swans lost the un-losable game to the Kangas. That was all I could think of when the Bombers got to within 3 goals tonight.

Lucky to get away with it in the end.

The game: umpiring was very ordinary, Essendon inaccurate, but the Swans pressure was AMAZING!

Top of the ladder baby!

BTW, any news on Hanners?

swanspant12
10th June 2012, 01:33 AM
Hey, we won without McGlynn, Parker, Goodesy, Rohan! our depth is very good.

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 01:36 AM
Thank god we beat this arrogant mob. How about brian taylor? he is the biggest flog in commentating ever! he was just barracking for the bummers at the end the goose

And has no idea who any of our players are! Neither do the rest of them though. Channel 7's commentary teams aren't a patch on the Fox crews.

As much as I like Richo, the other week (can't remember which game) his contribution to the blather that accompanies play was that players miss goals and hit the posts because the posts get thinner towards the top . . . To their credit, the rest of the crew thought that was a rather interesting proposition, and managed not to just burst out laughing! :)

For those with a bit of spare time on their hands (with a warning that it is time you won't ever get back!), the 'theory' gets a passing reference here (along with some reflection on the quality of commentary)!:

Back to basics | The BigFooty News (http://www.bigfootynews.com/2012/05/afl-commentary-back-to-basics/)

sam7
10th June 2012, 01:54 AM
Sydney swans will never ever let someone like brent stanton run free.

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 01:55 AM
Just got home from the game. Crazy stuff.

I was at the SCG in August 2004 when the Sydney trainer died and the Swans lost the un-losable game to the Kangas. That was all I could think of when the Bombers got to within 3 goals tonight.

Lucky to get away with it in the end.

The game: umpiring was very ordinary, Essendon inaccurate, but the Swans pressure was AMAZING!

Top of the ladder baby!

Hey, we won without McGlynn, Parker, Goodesy, Rohan! our depth is very good.

That dreadful Kangas game was in my mind too - sad night that one for our club (with off field putting on field well and truly in the shade).

Tonight would have been worse history wise though - 'gave up biggest three quarter time lead ever' is not something you want engraved on a trophy!

Very much a cup half full night tonight though!! Defence great, game not played to suit us (we have left the uber shut down footy behind us, but we still remain pretty good at it, except for the last quarter I guess!!!), players out before and during the game, players out on their feet for the last 30 minutes (bye couldn't come at better time really), we hold the top of the ladder (probably temporarily, but hey, we'll take it).

And if we weren't aware of it already, the torch bearers for toughness in our team are there for all to see. How lucky are we as fans of this club to see tough nuts keep popping up in our ranks (hats off to our recruiters - this is certainly no accident or good luck). The standards set by Kel, Dunks, Stewie, Cressa, Kirk, Bolton and Bolton (and apologies to those deserving a spot on this list) are being honourably upheld by Hanners, Kizza, Kennedy and Parker (get well soon!!) and pretty much most of the boys across the whole team.

So much to be proud of in our Swans! Love em so very much! Even when they try to induce heart failure on nights like this! :)

jono2707
10th June 2012, 01:56 AM
It's hard to appreciate that win fully after what happened in the last quarter, but we really deserved that. Puts to bed the doubters (even from within, including me) that we couldn't win in Melbourne this year. That game will hold us in good stead for the second half of the season as into the finals.

Our backline did a great job for most of the game, Jetta was of a high standard yet again, and Armstrong looked composed and at home in the squad. There'll be some sore boys out of this game and they thoroughly deserve the week off after that.

sam7
10th June 2012, 01:57 AM
And has no idea who any of our players are! Niether do the rest of them though. Channel 7's commentary teams aren't a patch on the Fox crews.

As much as I like Richo, the other week (can't remember which game) his contribution to the blather that accompanies play was that players miss goals and hit the posts because they get thinner towards the top . . . To their credit, the rest of the crew thought that was a rather interesting proposition, and managed not to just burst out laughing! :)

For those with a bit of spare time on their hands (with a warning that it is time you won't ever get back!), the 'theory' gets a passing reference here (along with some reflection on the quality of commentary)!:

Back to basics | The BigFooty News (http://www.bigfootynews.com/2012/05/afl-commentary-back-to-basics/)

So true!

Goal Sneak
10th June 2012, 02:08 AM
What a strange game! If I hadn't of watched the whole game i would've been ecstatic at seeing the final score. It's just not the same feeling limping over the finish line as when you hang in there and scrape out a tight win against quality opposition but I'll take it.

Although the correct decision was made at the final siren, I really wanted to know if he would've kicked it. I say let him have a kick, not to be counted, just to ease my curiosity. Then again, maybe i don't want to know!

Ted and Jets were on fire tonight, like much of this season

Anyway, A solid first half of the season, bring on the second half

SwansFan1972
10th June 2012, 02:09 AM
It's hard to appreciate that win fully after what happened in the last quarter, but we really deserved that. Puts to bed the doubters (even from within, including me) that we couldn't win in Melbourne this year. That game will hold us in good stead for the second half of the season as into the finals.

Our backline did a great job for most of the game, Jetta was of a high standard yet again, and Armstrong looked composed and at home in the squad. There'll be some sore boys out of this game and they thoroughly deserve the week off after that.

+1. Just after the game, was feeling that a 55-12 quarter really does suck, and takes a lot of the gloss off. But then, the half empty cup is really half full - that quarter doesn't matter a lot if the rest of the game is enough to cover it - phew hey!?!?. :) Would prefer they NOT run it so close next time!

Swans have been pretty good front runners this season, which has taken some getting used to! :) Certainly hasn't been our modus operandi for a long time, so there will be some kinks I suppose (I like to think of the last quarter tonight as a kink to iron out. Like the first quarter against the Crows, first and last against the Tigers, and second and third against the Saints)! When we get all the kinks out and put together four quarters per game, look out the rest of the competition!!!!

Lots to look forward to with players coming back in second half of the year. Just need to stop picking up an injury each week (although that is a common afflication across the entire competition this year - West Coast, Pies and the Bombers themselves know a bit about it too). Quite amazing these three and our Swans are among this year's best sides so far!

mcs
10th June 2012, 02:27 AM
I am not going to comment on the last quarter, apart from saying thank goodness we won.

Those first 3 quarters showed me that this team is really starting to develop nicely. The game was never played on our terms, in a swans style of football. But the way we adapted and created enormous pressure on the bombers was wonderful - despite what there arrogant fans at the ground thought, so many of their errors and mistakes were directly a result of the pressure and 'perceived' pressure we applied.

There has been signs at times this season, small snippets of this pressure. Tonight was the first time we managed it for a sustained period. As the last quarter showed, its a very taxing way to play, but we must keep developing it as it will make the difference in the big games.

We might have only just snuck over the line tonight, but the team can take an enormous amount from it. Make no mistake, in an open competition we are a genuine chance to finish top 4 and dare I say it challenge for the flag.

I thought our defence did magnificently well and Lewis jetta is a joy to watch - it has clicked for him and he is becoming a game breaker.

Oh and it is always wonderful to beat the bombers... the whining, twats that support them are infuriating to listen to - many of them seem to hold our club in disdain, like we aren't a real team or something, so I take great joy in winning against them.

Cheer cheer!

Doctor
10th June 2012, 02:36 AM
Like everyone else I went through an extraordinary range of emotions during the game. A friend messaged me at 3/4 time to say we had it won and I could have killed him. Never call it that early!

Ultimately though if you'd offered me a 4 point win before the game I'd have taken it. We were clearly exhausted in the last quarter and badly missed Hannebery because with Parker and McGlynn also out our balance was too badly affected and they just ran over the top of us. The dodgy umpiring didn't help, although they were spot on with the call on Dempsey. A 'controversial' call isn't controversial because it's the last decision in a close game, it's controversial if there's some doubt over its accuracy. There's not doubt the ump was right, so end of story.

Great effort, nearly undone by momentum and exhaustion but we hung on, we have a week off and we get Goodes and McGlynn back for next game. I'm satisfied, even though I need a blood pressure check.

Goal Sneak
10th June 2012, 03:12 AM
Ultimately though if you'd offered me a 4 point win before the game I'd have taken it.

I'm not sure where these offers are coming from. Do you have the authority to make such deals? :tongue:

MightyBloods
10th June 2012, 04:23 AM
I, like most of you, had the taste of victory soured by that last quarter........however until i watched the game fully in the cold light of day:

We were out on our feet from late third quarter;
Hannebury concussed and off the ground;
McVeigh in the rooms during play in the last half obviously not well;
Bolton attended by the doctor on field in final quater(doctor more concerned which shouldnt surprise us all);
Smith off with a sore kneee in second half but returned under duress;
Mumford 'stuffed' obviously'underdone';

A courageous win and we needed the lead which the coaching staff knew....so we went at them early.

Real positives:
We hung on for the win when they got within 4 points with over 5 mins playing time left:
The umpiring got 'on board' with the 30,000 odd red and black army in that last quarter and we hung in there;
Jetta is quickly becoming elite...dare I say it...brownlow material!
Armstrong is a HUGE pick up!
Sadly, Malcevski and Everritt dont belong in our best 22. Also, probably not Pyke but I do ike his development. As for Malcevski, a strange sub option.I prefer an impact player with speed and carry as a sub. So we got our sub wrong;
Parker, McGlynn,Goodes didnt play...all upside;...and one could only think with Rohan in this side;
Hannebury's reaction on being subbed....future captain! Why does he remind me of Luke Hodge?
Okeefe behind the ball was the wrong option....would have preferred malcevski with less game time to get to contests.

...but , let me get back to looking at the league ladder...well done Swannies!

Swans500
10th June 2012, 04:44 AM
I LOVE this description of the emotional rollercoaster that indeed WAS that game....

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 06:28 AM
:)
Any other burning questions out there Swans folk - just send em through to our pickled friend Billy here and see what the footy gods have to say!! :)

No buddy, I don't partake of the demon drink. I was just commenting on the Ozzie culture.

Have to get up to early to milk the cows and tryin to do that with a hangover is just not pleasing.

You put some effort there into your questions though. You forgot why are the chips at SKODA $3:90 and the SCG they're $5:00. Now that is a football mystery.

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 06:37 AM

After a good spanking he settled down. Looked fine at the end of the game.

I think the bye saved him from missing a game next week.

The days of players continuing to play after a head knock are well and truly gone now.

JudesaGun
10th June 2012, 07:50 AM
Did anyone see the NLM elbow to Jude's head? He'll have to get cited.

Sandridge
10th June 2012, 08:59 AM
So glad to see that most posters have concentrated on the positives here. We beat a top team in Melbourne and killed 'em for 3 quarters!

Anyone who's a little disappointed that we blew a 3 quarter time 47 point lead and only won by 4 points, go to the Swans website and watch the players sing the song after the game. They were stoked and so am I!

Go Bloods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Anyone else think that the mark paid to Watson which led to their final goal was REALLY soft?)

Wardy
10th June 2012, 09:16 AM
Am watching the replay now we were out on our feet in the last. But we clung on. Jude Bolton never gave up he just gets better. The only thing I like about the bombers is Jobe Watson - he's a class act. Jetta & Keiran back each other up beautifully. I noticed a numbrt of "hand In the back" that were obvious but werent paid to us yet the bombers got theirs. Still it was karma in the end - Dempsey played on, the hooter went - happy days!!!!

bandwagon
10th June 2012, 09:29 AM
That was a fantastic win. But it made for really unpleasant viewing. Still seeing the Essendon supporters' faces at the end made it somehow all worthwhile. Schadenfreude is such a sweet joy.

BRISWAN
10th June 2012, 09:34 AM
Great to get the 4pts - but the fade outs are a concern.

Good news is - that our normal game is upto the standard of anyone in the league (I believe).

Below is a list of our worst quarters this season for each game:

R1: GWS 4th qtr 1.8 vs 2.3 (Won 3 qtrs)
R2: Freo 3rd qtr 2.2 vs 6.1 (Won 2 qtrs)*
R3: Port 3rd qtr 2.2 vs 4.3 (Won 3 qtrs)
R4: Roos 2nd qtr 4.2 vs 5.4 (Won 2 qtrs)
R5: Haw 1st qtr 2.2 vs 5.3 (Won 2 qtrs)*
R6: Adel 1st qtr 1.2 vs 5.2 (Won 2 qtrs)*
R7: Rich 1st qtr 0.2 vs 5.6 (Won 2 qtrs)*
R8: Melb (Won 4 qtrs)
R9: StK 3rd qtr 3.2 vs 6.7 (Won 2 qtrs)*
R10: WB 2nd qtr 1.5 vs 2.0 (Won 3 qtrs)
R11: Ess 4th qtr 2.0 vs 9.1 (Won 3 qtrs)*

Apart from the Tigers game - our worst quarters come against top 8 teams.

Beerman
10th June 2012, 09:53 AM
(Anyone else think that the mark paid to Watson which led to their final goal was REALLY soft?)

This is one decision I am ok with. It looked like he had it under control and as he shifted it in his hands to make it more comfortable and secure and that's when it was knocked out.

For the sake of my health I've had to give up analysing umpiring decisions. It causes too much grief and stress for too little gain.

Captain
10th June 2012, 10:22 AM
What an amazing game.

Jetta is a total gun and is the x factor that will help push us deep into September.

I thought Jude and Teddy had fantastic games as well. You know with both of them that they are going to compete to the end and win most of their battles. Jude's goal kicking is still one of the best in the AFL. He never misses a set shot and hasn't for years.

Pyke was ordinary and Mummy looks well down on fitness. Hopefully the week off helps that back.

TDL and Reid started well but were barely sighted after half time. That can happen but would be nice to see them get to more contests.

Goodes for Everitt would be my only change next week.

swansprincess
10th June 2012, 10:37 AM

The problem is ryder does not play for us. We have 3 viable ruck options in mummy, seaby and pyke and IMO we cannot get by just playing one on the big grounds. Pyke is athletic and smart and he works his guts out for the whole game, regardless of whether or not he is able to get the most hitouts.

giant
10th June 2012, 10:45 AM
What aspects were we ordinary in?

What i saw of the stats, smashed in clearances/contested possies/I50s/hit-outs. The centre clearances was one area where I thought we were beaten all night but they didn't make us pay until the last qr. That said, we out-tackled, out-ran and out-pressurised them and we were greatly more efficient (and defence played way way better) - we certainly deserved to win (IIRC the Dogs beat us for contested possession much of last week, so it's not a great stat in and of itself).

What I took from it is we have way more room for improvement from what was an excellent performance. 8-3 in a close race just so much better than 7-4, that's a great win to set the platform for the 2nd half of the season.

ernie koala
10th June 2012, 10:45 AM
Great win, despite the last qt. Our pressure, chase and spread, for 3 qts, was as good as it gets.
As for the 4th qt, Essendon has nothing to loose and played a great last qt, we simply ran out of legs.
IMO, we'll take great momentum into the second half of the season.

top40
10th June 2012, 10:46 AM
Didnt Hird win the Brownlow in 1996?

ernie koala
10th June 2012, 10:48 AM
Goodes for Everitt would be my only change next week.

Wrong thread.........but don't forget McGlynn.

swansprincess
10th June 2012, 10:50 AM
Wrong thread.........but don't forget McGlynn.

or spang

Cheer Squad
10th June 2012, 11:06 AM
What a night (and it wasn't just the dozen or so drinks:rolleyes:).

We played 3 amazing quarters, demonstrating some very sharp, skilfull ball movement. Just like the second half of the Hawthorn game (except this time, without Goodes). Keep up that sort of thing, and we will be genuine contenders.

But that last quarter was very disconcerting; there's no getting away from it. We did enough to win, but to have 9.1 kicked on us just doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth. It's not good enough to say that we were out on our feet, because Essendon certainly weren't.

Anyway, we got the four points, which was the main thing. Roll on Friday week.

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 11:24 AM
Interesting to read analysis from the other side basically feel they threw it away against an inferior team. I cannot believe that crap and the media too, what year did luke darcy last watch sydney play? 1993?

Essendon are near unbeatable at etihad and supposidly quick and we ran circles around them most of the night, plus been struggling in melbourne and missing our best player, just would like the side to get more credit and see less focus on Essendons failed comeback.

erica
10th June 2012, 12:16 PM
Best tweet of the night (that I saw):

Richard Hinds ?@rdhinds
Much better loss by Essendon than last week's loss. #afldonsswans

JudesaGun
10th June 2012, 12:24 PM
Thought I'd let you guys in on a little Twitter exchange I had with Rohan Connelly about his match report in The Age. It was very refreshing (and surprising) for a journo to take the time to explain his writing and acknowledge his own shortfalls:

Me: "@rohan_connolly The focus on Dons loss/ final quarter rather than Swans win/ previous 3 quarters is a bit disappointing (but not unexpected)"

"@Kingclivemc Unintended consequence of deadline mins. after siren I'm afraid, journo's nightmare. Thought Swans fully deserved it and (cont)"

@Kingclivemc had plenty about that, but had to tell how it unfolded in last qtr, and not enough space. Wasn't best of headlines, either."

Beerman
10th June 2012, 12:26 PM
One question: what do we do about Jetta's contested marking? Last night in the first quarter he was completely out-bodied in a couple of contests - he probably weighs 20kg less than the Essendon player he was up against.

Does he need to bulk up a bit? I wouldn't want to do anything that might compromise his speed. Or do we just live with the fact that in those situations the very best we can hope for is a contest? Perhaps it's a question of technique?

No player can do everything, and he probably our BOG last night but he can't get uncontested marks every time.

dimelb
10th June 2012, 12:46 PM
One question: what do we do about Jetta's contested marking? Last night in the first quarter he was completely out-bodied in a couple of contests - he probably weighs 20kg less than the Essendon player he was up against.

Does he need to bulk up a bit? I wouldn't want to do anything that might compromise his speed. Or do we just live with the fact that in those situations the very best we can hope for is a contest? Perhaps it's a question of technique?

No player can do everything, and he probably our BOG last night but he can't get uncontested marks every time.Yes, hope for a contest is fair enough. And perhaps work on kicking the ball so it drops in front of the player running onto it - which doesn't only apply to Jetts.

liz
10th June 2012, 12:54 PM

No player can do everything, and he probably our BOG last night but he can't get uncontested marks every time.

Last pre-season he trailed Jack around to get his endurance up. Next pre-season he can practice playing one-on-one against Reg, Goodes or Reid.

barry
10th June 2012, 02:10 PM
Essendon simply did a "Sydney". They made a bad loss respectable. The only reason they got back in it, is because we took our foot off the pedal, and they showed a bit of pride.

It was quite amazing that the swans made essendon look like us at our worst over the past month. Sydney pressure forcing essendon to bomb it into the forward line making it easy for our backs.

In the game our backline dominated, our forward line dominated, but our midfield was beaten. Pyke, played ok, but wasnt tapping to advantage. We also missed Parker in the middle. So with Parker to come back in a while, plus mummy building fitness, I dont think we'll see our midfield beaten like that again.

Must be a spot for Spranger though. TDL or LRT would be feeling nervous.

barry
10th June 2012, 02:13 PM
One question: what do we do about Jetta's contested marking?

Im far more worried about McVeigh's contested marking. Has he taken a contested mark this year? Seems to be easily pushed off, and goes to ground to easily.

Hartijon
10th June 2012, 02:24 PM
Im far more worried about McVeigh's contested marking. Has he taken a contested mark this year? Seems to be easily pushed off, and goes to ground to easily.

This has not been Mc Veigh's best year.However he was a major reason we won this game, organising the players at a stoppage,talking and encouraging when we were under the pump.A couple of extremely deft handpasses set up scoring opportunities.He showed leadership. A great win! Essendon were always going to mount a challenge and our boys had to fight desperately. We need to look carefully at who stood tall in the last quarter and who was not sighted. To hang on when 40,000 screaming fans were urging the Bombers on was a true test of character and we only won because we scored goals as well as defending.I'll take a win out of that game in which we played brilliantly for 3 quarters and toughed it out for one.

Gary
10th June 2012, 02:26 PM
Don't really get fuss about Jetta / McV & contested marks. They are what they are, and that's pretty good players.
Often our kicking to "situations" is the problem...and that needs to be addressed. What a night!

Nolie
10th June 2012, 02:32 PM
A bit disappointed with some of the negative comments in this thread about Everitt, Pyke, LRT and TDL. I thought Everitt played surprisingly well. He deserves to stay in the team on that effort. Has a bigger body than McGlynn and I would prefer Everitt to be given another chance before bringing McGlynn back. I thought LRT was terrific. He just gives a 100% contest every time and does a lot of things that don't get noticed much. He did a very timely tap over the boundary after a good aerial contest with Fletcher in the last quarter. In fact given the historically bad deliberate out of bounds the Swans have been given over the years (Kangaroos in THAT 2004 match) I thought that was a monty for a free to Essendon. Thankfully did not happen. TDL has given an extra "authorita" to the the forward line since he has been there the last few weeks. Is a terrific kick. And I thought Pyke did a good job again last night. He is a bit clumsy at times but has a great work rate.
Reg Grundy, Shaw, Teddy Richards, Jetta, Kennedy, Jetta -all of them- they were just fantastic last night (except last quarter)

DLBIA14
10th June 2012, 02:54 PM
I thought our fadeout was less about us shutting up shop and more about how tired we were. We played brilliant footy the first 3 quarters because every player was running to the contests, swarming the Dons players and running to find space. They were buggered no doubt.

They showed this one shot in the coverage after the game where 3 Swans players hugged collectively, dropped their heads together and then ended up with their hands on their knees. Im sure we gave everything we had. The Bombers on the other hand did SFA for 3 quarters (in terms of making space, applying swarming pressure ect.) and so clearly when they applied themselves they had the legs.

That was a high risk game plan we had last night. Whether it is a fitness failure or not, I don't know, but that sort of play we aren't able to physically sustain for the whole game. Just a thought, but the 05/06 side had a great ability to play tempo footy for 2/3 quarters and keep in touch and control the speed of the play. However, usually in the 3rd/4th quarter, they would flick the switch and turn it on with break play, before holding a small lead to the finish.

I tend to think that perhaps we should implement something of a similar extent where we have the ability to control the game, but also are capable of turning the game on its head. I think (hope!) that is what Horse intends. He does seem to be slowly shaping towards a line-breaking type of attack.

erica
10th June 2012, 03:31 PM
Funniest moment in the game: Fletcher trying to chase Jetta. What was he thinking?

ShockOfHair
10th June 2012, 04:07 PM
Thought I'd let you guys in on a little Twitter exchange I had with Rohan Connelly about his match report in The Age. It was very refreshing (and surprising) for a journo to take the time to explain his writing and acknowledge his own shortfalls:

Me: "@rohan_connolly The focus on Dons loss/ final quarter rather than Swans win/ previous 3 quarters is a bit disappointing (but not unexpected)"

"@Kingclivemc Unintended consequence of deadline mins. after siren I'm afraid, journo's nightmare. Thought Swans fully deserved it and (cont)"

@Kingclivemc had plenty about that, but had to tell how it unfolded in last qtr, and not enough space. Wasn't best of headlines, either."

Yeah, you wouldn't catch Jim Main wasting his time talking to a reader!!

I also felt Connolly's report was Bomber-centric (and of course couldn't overlook that he's an Essendon supporter!) but he's very fair and in this case the real story was that amazing last quarter. Don't worry - there'll be plenty of Swans puffery this week, just like there was after the Hawks game and we'll probably be media favourite against the Cats. :frown

I quite liked the Fox commentary yesterday. I hadn't heard commentators reading out fans' tweets during the game but it worked for me.

A milestone moment: someone mentioned the Swans would have Rohan and Jetta running around next year. BT said "wowee!" and for that second I even liked him.

Extraordinary game. I guess the key was our pressure and fast transitions in the first three quarters, plus the pressure the Dons put on themselves by poor goalkicking. When was the last time a team had 78 forward entries, and 28 more than the opposition, and still lost?

Primmy
10th June 2012, 04:13 PM
Funniest moment in the game: Fletcher trying to chase Jetta. What was he thinking?Agree Erica! But I think it was more "ah, can I burn Fletcher off? No worries!" than anything else.

Blue Sun
10th June 2012, 04:16 PM
Must be a spot for Spranger though. TDL or LRT would be feeling nervous.

Surely TDL will stay in the side? He's got that X-factor. Potential match winner in my opinion.

Shotties
10th June 2012, 04:36 PM
Funniest moment in the game: Fletcher trying to chase Jetta. What was he thinking?

He's run down Chris Yarran and Jeff Garlett.

Mountain Man
10th June 2012, 04:48 PM
The story for me was the game plan. Was it deliberate to be un-Swans-like from the start:

a) because that was a reaction to having Parker and McGlynn out;
b) there is a Plan B gameplan for 'bigger' grounds;
c) it was an accident that developed

When I turned on the TV, there was the end of a Leigh Tudor segment on the Swan's midfield tactics. What did it say, and was there any hint of what was to come? (for 3 quarters!)