PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Rnd 12 v The Cats

aardvark
10th June 2012, 12:05 AM
Ins. Goodes please !!

ugg
10th June 2012, 12:08 AM
In: McGlynn, maybe Goodes
Out: probably Malceski, and good luck finding another player to omit and bad luck to him.

swanspant12
10th June 2012, 12:10 AM
In: Goodes (if fit), Mcglynn
Out: Everitt, LRT

Bloody Hell
10th June 2012, 12:13 AM
TDL didn't have a great game, but it'll be Malcheski and Everitt out - Goodes, McGlynn in.

ScottH
10th June 2012, 12:13 AM
In: Goodes (if fit), Mcglynn
Out: Everitt, LRT

Seriously? LRT has been great. He's no star, but really puts in when the ball is near him.

ugg
10th June 2012, 12:15 AM
Everitt played some good patches on the wing, but also went missing for long periods. He got special mention from Longmire along with Jetta and Jack for his pace so I think they'd like to keep him in there.

Cheer Squad
10th June 2012, 12:16 AM
Surely we're not going to drop TDL...:hmmmm2:...we look a much more balanced team with him playing up front...

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:23 AM
Goodes will be back. They have said so.

caj23
10th June 2012, 12:24 AM
Seriously? LRT has been great. He's no star, but really puts in when the ball is near him.

As mentioned in another thread, we need something more than just a contest up forward.

Everitt played some good patches on the wing, but also went missing for long periods. He got special mention from Longmire along with Jetta and Jack for his pace so I think they'd like to keep him in there.

Yes some nice bits of play tonight but those missing periods were looooooonnnnnnnng. He hasnt earnt a spot in the 22 IMO

aardvark
10th June 2012, 12:34 AM
Goodes will be back. They have said so.

LOL...and you believe in Santa too I suppose.....

GongSwan
10th June 2012, 12:39 AM
If goodes plays he will be in the forward line. Pyke probably suffers with LRT 2nd ruck. They may well be foxing a bit with Goodes though. Benny comes back in for Everitt. Smith moves into the midfield rotation. Of course it all depends on how people pull up from this game. Smith had a problem, but with the bye we should be looking a t apretty fit bunch

BillyRayCypress
10th June 2012, 12:44 AM
LOL...and you believe in Santa too I suppose.....

Naturally, and the Easter Bunny.

And the Swans can still nearly lose a game after being up by 47 points at 3/4 time.

Beerman
10th June 2012, 01:00 AM
I get the feeling this week's selections were very much about Essendon at Etihad. I would think we need harder players at the SCG and teams rarely make more than one or two changes. So...

In: Mcglynn, Goodes (if fit)
Out: Everitt, Malceski

aardvark
10th June 2012, 01:08 AM
Morton finally gets a mention in the Ressies best on. NOW where can we fit him in???

Swansinger
10th June 2012, 01:08 AM
Rest Reid. He was better than in recent weeks , but I think he's being pushed too hard and needs a break.
I'm none too confident he'd get the better of Taylor or Scarlett.

Nico
10th June 2012, 01:13 AM
Rest Reid. He was better than in recent weeks , but I think he's being pushed too hard and needs a break.

They all get a rest this week.

swanspant12
10th June 2012, 01:16 AM
Why are people not a fan of mal anymore? hes been brilliant for us over his career and just needs his confidence and form back.

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 01:25 AM
Do we need to be as tall v the cats?

Mcglynn is in and goodes if fit tho dont rush him back

If they are in then everitt and malceski out

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 01:26 AM
Also dont let hary taylor go forward he looks sharp there

swanspant12
10th June 2012, 01:29 AM
Worried about this lot. If we beat them.. Lid off

GongSwan
10th June 2012, 02:33 AM

Sammy needs to play well and learn as he goes. It will do nothing for him to go to the ressies and play on a fence post. He has to learn how to beat good opponents, because he's going to get the best defenders week in week out. If u mean rest him, we have the bye

Doctor
10th June 2012, 02:39 AM
In - Goodes, McGlynn

Out - Malceski, Everitt

Andrejs played pretty well tonight but it's just a case of "last in, first out" I'd say

Wardy
10th June 2012, 08:47 AM
Why are people not a fan of mal anymore? hes been brilliant for us over his career and just needs his confidence and form back. Mal might HAVE been brilliant but sadly he's not now. We have a real chance of making top 4 and to be honest he isn't up to speed now. We don't have luxury of giving older players time to regain lost form and confidence, the comp is just too close. Also, when Mal is on the field Rhyce Shaw's run on opportunities are limited. When Mal isn't on Shaw generally is on fire (like he has been in the last couple of weeks) You can't keep Mal on just because he played well a year or so ago. It happens team structures change some players move with the changes successfully others don't. Just an observation.

bandwagon
10th June 2012, 09:34 AM
In - Goodes, McGlynn

Out - Malceski, Everitt

Andrejs played pretty well tonight but it's just a case of "last in, first out" I'd say

Yes, Everitt played his part last night, but unfortunately someone has to make way for Goodes. And anyway, if they gave Goodes another week (which wouldn't be a surprise), Everitt would be better for the run. Win-win.

Captain
10th June 2012, 10:04 AM
Why are people not a fan of mal anymore? hes been brilliant for us over his career and just needs his confidence and form back.

You bag LRT and then come out with this. Hypocritical.

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 11:26 AM
Someone to stand stevie j all night and annoy him, he will snap

longmile
10th June 2012, 11:46 AM

Nick Smith? Nick Smith.

aardvark
10th June 2012, 11:48 AM

A job for Mr Shaw I think....

MattW
10th June 2012, 11:59 AM
Next game -
IN: McGlynn, Goodes
OUT: Malceski, Everitt

That's the easy bit. Getting Parker and Spangher in will be more difficult. Once Mummy is up to speed (and Goodes is back and can play out of FF) I imagine a forward, probably Spangher, will come in for Pyke and LRT will play second ruck/forward. But who will Parker come in for? Armstrong must stay in the team now, clearly. TDL is neat and intelligent, but his modest output keeps his place under threat. Is Parker a replacement for him, with him/JPK/McGlynn/Bolton to rotate through his spot.

Eventually -
IN: Parker, Spangher/Morton
OUT: TDL, Pyke

liz
10th June 2012, 12:21 PM
Next game -
IN: McGlynn, Goodes
OUT: Malceski, Everitt

That's the easy bit. Getting Parker and Spangher in will be more difficult. Once Mummy is up to speed (and Goodes is back and can play out of FF) I imagine a forward, probably Spangher, will come in for Pyke and LRT will play second ruck/forward. But who will Parker come in for? Armstrong must stay in the team now, clearly. TDL is neat and intelligent, but his modest output keeps his place under threat. Is Parker a replacement for him, with him/JPK/McGlynn/Bolton to rotate through his spot.

Eventually -
IN: Parker, Spangher/Morton
OUT: TDL, Pyke

The reality is that Parker is a couple of months away from returning (sadly - I think we missed his vigour and good ball use in traffic yesterday) and anything can happen with injuries and form between now and then.

We've got a pretty good hard-at-it midfield crew at the moment but we don't have a huge amount of depth in that department. I grimaced when Hanners was taken off looking generally out of sorts, and was very relieved when it turned out "only" to be concussion. There is a chance Mitchell might get himself fit enough to come in and get a couple of games experience before Parker is ready to resume, but other than that, we don't have much in the way of AFL-ready onballers running around in the twos at the moment.

The versatility of both Jude and especially O'Keefe to come into the middle, or alternatively to spend time in other roles is a definite plus because it means the team looks balanced with different mixes of available players. I also think it is a huge credit to both of them that they are adapting to playing less time in the middle - where for the last few seasons ROK has been a mainstay (and Jude for his whole career) - as they move towards the end of their careers and others, like Parker and JPK are taking over.

sprite
10th June 2012, 12:59 PM
Out Matner

DA_Swan
10th June 2012, 02:56 PM
A job for Mr Shaw I think....

Annoy him he would - however the last couple of weeks has shown how important the run that Shaw provides to the team can be - keep him running and let Mcveigh be the tag - he did a good job on Stanton with some help so maybe he goes to Johnson who is not super quick - just very good.

DLBIA14
10th June 2012, 03:04 PM
Out Matner

Yes lets just drop the man that constantly saves our arse in defence. He's not perfect, but he's got courage Marty, and he's got desperation and the intelligence to know when to leave his man. He's always the player making the contest 2 on 1 instead of 1 on 1.

Honestly some people don't appreciate what they have until its gone...

swansrule100
10th June 2012, 03:05 PM
Out Matner

Mattner? What? Ur kidding right?

GongSwan
10th June 2012, 03:09 PM
Yes lets just drop the man that constantly saves our arse in defence. He's not perfect, but he's got courage Marty, and he's got desperation and the intelligence to know when to leave his man. He's always the player making the contest 2 on 1 instead of 1 on 1. Under-appreciated.

Honestly some people don't appreciate what they have until its gone...

Exactly right, he's not flash, but he busts a gut every week and those third man to the contest efforts are amazing sometimes. It wasn't long ago we were calling him SuperMarty. Still plenty to offer in my book. He made one bad error last night and some would crucify him for it, but really, his run and long kick out of defence saves us a lot of the time. Armstrong needs a few game to get up to seniors pace, but I think he stays in the 21, going forward, he'll only get better, might wander into the weights room at some point

Gezball
10th June 2012, 05:33 PM
I thought Marty played well... Very solid.

Captain
10th June 2012, 05:49 PM
Out Matner

This is surely a troll.

barry
10th June 2012, 06:37 PM
Its heartening that while we all conceed our forward line has been poor this year, we potentially have McGlynn, Spranger, Goodes, Morton to come in. Not to mention sudden form finds in White and TDL.

If all the stars aligned, and Horse was brave with selection, we could have one of the most potent forward lines around by finals.

DLBIA14
10th June 2012, 06:55 PM
Its heartening that while we all conceed our forward line has been poor this year, we potentially have McGlynn, Spranger, Goodes, Morton to come in. Not to mention sudden form finds in White and TDL.

If all the stars aligned, and Horse was brave with selection, we could have one of the most potent forward lines around by finals.

You think those players make 'one of the most potent forward lines'? :hmmmm2:

White hasn't been playing, neither has Morton while Spangher and Goodes have had long injury stints. TDL has been serviceable, but hardly 'potent' and McGlynn's form prior to his suspension hasn't been brilliant either.

Might need to remove those rose coloured glasses.

barry
10th June 2012, 07:11 PM
You think those players make 'one of the most potent forward lines'? :hmmmm2:

White hasn't been playing, neither has Morton while Spangher and Goodes have had long injury stints. TDL has been serviceable, but hardly 'potent' and McGlynn's form prior to his suspension hasn't been brilliant either.

Might need to remove those rose coloured glasses.

Picture this:

F: Morton, S. Reid, TDL/???
HF: Spranger, Goodes, McGlynn

Pretty hard to stop if Spranger plays as he did last year, and Morton lifts to his best at RIchmond.

DeadlyAkkuret
10th June 2012, 07:14 PM
I'd prefer Goodes, Reid, TDL

We're likely to see that against Geelong.

GongSwan
10th June 2012, 07:24 PM
I wanna know for sure that Goodes is actually playing, it's the SCG against Geelong, we usually win these, even when we're not supposed to, would we risk rushing him, or trot him around in the 2's for an easy run. I also want a vivid description of Cats ruck setup. The only certain change right now is McG in and Eski out

liz
10th June 2012, 07:42 PM
I wanna know for sure that Goodes is actually playing, it's the SCG against Geelong, we usually win these, even when we're not supposed to, would we risk rushing him, or trot him around in the 2's for an easy run. I also want a vivid description of Cats ruck setup. The only certain change right now is McG in and Eski out

Goodes playing in the reserves? LOL. If he's right to go he will be in the senior team. If not, another week of training. He can just be parked in the forward line if necessary, in much the same way as Mummy is being eased back in.

GongSwan
10th June 2012, 07:58 PM
Can we afford to park two semi fit players in the fwd line? Didn't having semi fit players from the ressies hurt us in the last quarter. Seriously, a game in the ressies is half a game at that pace. We have Mummy back from injury, Armstrong, Everitt and Pyke all struggling for top level fitness, although to be fair not that many players ran the game out that well last night. We have been notoriously slow back from the bye as it is. While Goodes is a superstar, does this entitle him to different treatment and if anything should we not be more careful with him coming back from his first real injury, a nice trot in the 2's might be good for him, he's humble enough to handle the facts, if we play Goodes against Geelong, we probably have to drop pyke and use LRT in the ruck, is Mummy fit enough, in the post match he said he needed a few more games, big men take longer. It sounds absurd I know, but it's a usual pathway from 6 weeks out of the game

liz
10th June 2012, 10:34 PM
. It sounds absurd I know, but it's a usual pathway from 6 weeks out of the game

Not for Goodsey, it's not.

wolftone57
11th June 2012, 12:51 AM
If goodes plays he will be in the forward line. Pyke probably suffers with LRT 2nd ruck. They may well be foxing a bit with Goodes though. Benny comes back in for Everitt. Smith moves into the midfield rotation. Of course it all depends on how people pull up from this game. Smith had a problem, but with the bye we should be looking a t apretty fit bunch

If they drop Pykie it would be sheer stupidity. This ruck combo is working really well. Both lads provide a big target in the Forward line and take heat off Sammy. Longmire was grinning from ear to ear about how our rucks have gone the last two weeks and I can't see him changing them.

If Goodes is fit he may come back depending on his assessment to match fitness. He is due to resume. Benny will be back and the pocket rocket will be ready to get revenge for being outed. If they both come in then I think Mal will definitely go. Drey will probably too which I think is sad. I think if they gave him a bigger role in the mids he would do well as well as KO duties with Tony Armstrong. LRT is probably not needed against Geelong but against say Carlton he would be. Horses for courses. We need to attack against the Cats and I think Morton, Drey & TDL could be good with Goodes & Benny. But who is the third out? Don't have a ruddy clue! Too many playing too well.

johnno
11th June 2012, 04:10 AM
Lets field the same team that beat them at Kardinia Park last year......minus Rohan and Parker obviously.

Reggi
11th June 2012, 09:14 AM
I think we should give Cunningham a go as the sub when he gets some consistency in the reserves

Everitt is worth a go on larger grounds, Malceski is struggling

longmile
11th June 2012, 12:47 PM
In: Goodes, McGlynn
Out: Malceski, Everitt

Captain
11th June 2012, 12:55 PM

Yep would be pretty confident this will be the changes.

DamY
11th June 2012, 01:22 PM
Everitt wasn't that bad v Essendon! Mind you, no-one was particularly bad, I think that's what was great. Definitely missing Parker though, and if both Gaz and Jetta are firing, we'd be unstoppable outside too!!!

goswannie14
11th June 2012, 02:04 PM
How about for a CHANGE we play 4 qrtrs of football! It would help my blood pressure no end!

Jewels
11th June 2012, 05:51 PM
How about for a CHANGE we play 4 qrtrs of football! It would help my blood pressure no end!

Yep, this is the change me and my heart would like the best......

MightyBloods
11th June 2012, 06:28 PM
I'd be conservative with bringing Goodes back. A soft tissue injury at his age...if he comes back too soon and does it again....OUCH! I wouldnt play him until Round 15 vs Brisbane. In that time we have a bye, Geelong at home and GWS. Let him train but certainly not play him in the reserves....he's one of those players that when declared fit...straight into the seniors. I like Mumford and Pyke in the team also. LRT up forward is really helping Reid out.

Only change I see for our next game is McGlynn in for Malcevski.....assuming no other injuries out of the Ess game.

Other comment.....I see Chapman as the number one cat that we need to put a hard tag on. Important link up player.

Nico
11th June 2012, 08:26 PM
Goodes, McGlynn and Spangher (if he is right) for Malceski, Everitt and TDL.

Donners
11th June 2012, 09:24 PM
Poor Mal. I saw a list in the Hun just a couple of days ago which had him in the league's top few for metres gained this season. Had a fair percentage of them where we retained possession too; certainly not the worst of that list.

People sure turn quickly.

TPR4
11th June 2012, 09:44 PM

We all want this but it's hard to do these days - it's not so much about sides going missing for a quarter but the other getting momentum. In every game sides get a run on, it's about containing it before getting things back together. 3-4 goals is about the limit. 9 in a quarter and the middle periods v St Kilda aren't ideal. Though adding a player/leader like Goodesy is useful.

Ins: McGlynn, Goodes
Outs: Everitt (was useful as a running wingman, used his pace well and looked confident. But see ins...), one of Pyke/LRT/Mal/TDL

Vague obviously - if we play Goodes as a permanent tall fwd as he gets fit, then a tall to go with Mummy + one of those mentioned to second ruck. I'm a defender of all those mentioned but as we get close to a full complement to choose from, they become depth players. It's good to know they are good AFL quality, we need it. TDL adds a bit to out fwd setup, but not more than McGlynn and the Champ. Mal is a bit out of form and Prince Armstrong might have his spot. They'll all play again this year, there's no such thing really as "best 22" as 1. you never have them all available and 2. it's horses for course re: opposition and ground, especially with tall/small combos. For Geelong, it'll be interesting to see if we lose a tall or a small to cater for the ins. Goodesy complicates things - he's almost outside the conventional structure as he's so versatile and well, good.

Kirkari
12th June 2012, 12:44 AM
Goodes playing in the reserves? LOL. If he's right to go he will be in the senior team. If not, another week of training. He can just be parked in the forward line if necessary, in much the same way as Mummy is being eased back in.

I did like Goodesy's big smile in his interview when he said it's a shame the Reserves have a bye this week as well, so he couldn't get a run with them to warm up, but will never happen. Imagine if he got injured running around in the NEAFL!

GongSwan
12th June 2012, 02:03 AM
I did like Goodesy's big smile in his interview when he said it's a shame the Reserves have a bye this week as well, so he couldn't get a run with them to warm up, but will never happen. Imagine if he got injured running around in the NEAFL!

Is that better or worse than having him rip the muscle again in the first 5 mins against CAts?

Bloody Hell
14th June 2012, 08:07 PM
Is that better or worse than having him rip the muscle again in the first 5 mins against CAts?

Sub....could you imagine a fresh Goodes coming off the bench halfway through the third quarter....scary.

Jeffers1984
14th June 2012, 09:40 PM
Sub....could you imagine a fresh Goodes coming off the bench halfway through the third quarter....scary.
imagine the roar from the crowd as well!

ShockOfHair
15th June 2012, 12:08 AM
Imagine the expressions on Geelong when they see Nick Davis running around the SCG.

jono2707
15th June 2012, 12:09 AM
Imagine the expressions on Geelong when they see Nick Davis running around the SCG.

They might see it but not believe it.....

RogueSwan
15th June 2012, 02:37 PM
They might see it but not believe it.....

nicely played. :clap:

ShockOfHair
15th June 2012, 03:09 PM
nicely played. :clap:

+ 1

Swansongster
15th June 2012, 03:18 PM

I guarantee Nick Davis' 2005 effort gets an airing in the free-to-air pre-match wank-fest. Might just be the first time it is worth watching.

A nice half-time interview with him would be good too.

wolftone57
16th June 2012, 06:45 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if a few of their old blokes started chasing Nick around! Or bowled him over! We'd get a free!

wolftone57
16th June 2012, 06:48 PM

Pretty confident on that too!

teddys mum
17th June 2012, 01:54 PM
TDL didn't have a great game, but it'll be Malcheski and Everitt out - Goodes, McGlynn in.

+1

teddys mum
17th June 2012, 01:58 PM
Everitt wasn't that bad v Essendon! Mind you, no-one was particularly bad, I think that's what was great. Definitely missing Parker though, and if both Gaz and Jetta are firing, we'd be unstoppable outside too!!!

Despite his lack of consistency one of the things I like about Everitt is that he can kick straight, particularly for goal. The same can't be said for a lot of the other swans. Even though I think he gets a bit of a bad rap, I think he'll get dropped.

crackedactor
17th June 2012, 03:33 PM
Surely we're not going to drop TDL...:hmmmm2:...we look a much more balanced team with him playing up front...

Especially with Goodsey and Reid up forward- TDL is a must for balance. :confused:

crackedactor
17th June 2012, 03:41 PM

I would personally start Goodsey on the bench and give him 70-80 minutes of game time. Not worth the risk of playing him for a full game.

GongSwan
17th June 2012, 06:47 PM
I would personally start Goodsey on the bench and give him 70-80 minutes of game time. Not worth the risk of playing him for a full game.

I'd just start him at FF with instruction to stay inside f50

New-eon Jack
19th June 2012, 10:56 PM
If they drop Pykie it would be sheer stupidity. This ruck combo is working really well. Both lads provide a big target in the Forward line and take heat off Sammy. Longmire was grinning from ear to ear about how our rucks have gone the last two weeks and I can't see him changing them.

If Goodes is fit he may come back depending on his assessment to match fitness. He is due to resume. Benny will be back and the pocket rocket will be ready to get revenge for being outed. If they both come in then I think Mal will definitely go. Drey will probably too which I think is sad. I think if they gave him a bigger role in the mids he would do well as well as KO duties with Tony Armstrong. LRT is probably not needed against Geelong but against say Carlton he would be. Horses for courses. We need to attack against the Cats and I think Morton, Drey & TDL could be good with Goodes & Benny. But who is the third out? Don't have a ruddy clue! Too many playing too well.

I absolutely agree and truly feel that Pyke is trending upwards in the same way he was before that unfortunate injury last season against the dogs. He is super conservative with his release but can mark and tackle and kick straight and run real hard - perfect against the cats - he could easily bag three goals in the advanced position while bruising up the Rucker's while Mummy can roam. Yeah I am a big fan. Remember what he did to the dogs in Canberra?

White needs better ruck work and to stop giving away free's - Spangher on last season's form would be impossible to omit, when ready. LRT has a knack for sporadic yet inspirational plays but can go missing here and there.

Just would like to see big Mike get one or two more games to see if the trend continues. I pretty much agree with the rest of the general consensus here. Cannot wait for the biggun.

caj23
20th June 2012, 12:27 PM
White needs better ruck work and to stop giving away free's - Spangher on last season's form would be impossible to omit, when ready. LRT has a knack for sporadic yet inspirational plays but can go missing here and there.

I don't want to bag Spangher because I think he did a reasonable job last year and offered something in the forward line, but lets not get too carried away here. It seems the longer he is absent the better his season was.

To put it in perspective, his last game in the seniors was the semi final against the Hawks which yielded 6 posessions and 1 goal. In his 6 games he averaged 10 posessions, 2.5 tackles and 1.3 goals per game

Whilst stats don't tell the full story, he is going to need to step up a notch before he can be labelled our forward line saviour

wolftone57
20th June 2012, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't say Spang is a forward line saviour but he certainly provides that extra tall forward option. I think his marking is better than LRT or White. He is able to do it on the lead or in a pack. If you look at that game against the Hawks we were totally outplayed. Our delivery was very poor, especially to our forward line. All we did was bomb it up to Sammy and all that happened was Josh Gibson punched the ball out of bounds and the Hawks rebounded. We looked for Sammy all day and ignored alternatives. So don't blame Spang for a bad game blame either the Coaches in their game plan or the mids for not carrying off the game plan.

wolftone57
20th June 2012, 12:46 PM
The only changes are;

In; Goodes & Benny

Out; Mal & Drey

GongSwan
20th June 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't know, with Mal out, I expect anyway, that leaves Marty as our only really long kick out of def. I also think that with Benny and Goodes in, Goodes playing primarily forward I'd think TDL is a chance to suffer. The heat is on for spots, with teh bottom 6 players needing to really show something, good for the team, tough for selection

DLBIA14
20th June 2012, 03:40 PM
I don't know, with Mal out, I expect anyway, that leaves Marty as our only really long kick out of def. I also think that with Benny and Goodes in, Goodes playing primarily forward I'd think TDL is a chance to suffer. The heat is on for spots, with teh bottom 6 players needing to really show something, good for the team, tough for selection

Mal was the sub last week and did nothing practically. I'd drop him frankly. TDL certainly wasn't brilliant, but he wasn't obviously bad or anything. I think we look a little tall TBH if Goodes, Pyke, Mumford, LRT all stay in the side. It would be sad to see Pyke omitted, but arguably for team balance, he or LRT are the most appropriate to go.

It's a little hard to read Everitt. Valuable is some patches, but then in others you would hardly notice he was there. However, for a relatively tall player he plays better small so his mobility could be useful as the sub?? He's done the role before with mixed success, but yeah, the sub role will probably be between him, TDL and Mal.

Very hard at the selection table this week, but I'm trusting the coaches. I absolutely canned their choices last week, but we had a good win so what would I know...:o

Just an aside, but the team we have now with the addition of Gary Rohan and Luke Parker looks quality. Sad to loose both given it's such an open season, but hopeful Parker's inclusion later in the year gives us just that little bit extra heading into the finals.

Doctor
20th June 2012, 03:49 PM

It's early days but Armstrong looks to have a decent kick on him. What are we calling him anyway? Neil? Warwick? Lance?

GongSwan
20th June 2012, 04:08 PM
It's early days but Armstrong looks to have a decent kick on him. What are we calling him anyway? Neil? Warwick? Lance?

Satchmo?

rojo
20th June 2012, 05:16 PM
Assuming Goodsey is in, how nice is it that opposition coaches will have two players to especially exercise their minds when hatching their match up strategies this week, Goodes and Jetta. Dempsy did a good job minding Jets last week but Jets still kicked 3 goals and could have had 3 more. Both he and Goodes have that habit of bobbing up and creating minutes of mayhem. Bring it on!

DLBIA14
20th June 2012, 05:30 PM
Assuming Goodsey is in, how nice is it that opposition coaches will have two players to especially exercise their minds when hatching their match up strategies this week, Goodes and Jetta. Dempsy did a good job minding Jets last week but Jets still kicked 3 goals and could have had 3 more. Both he and Goodes have that habit of bobbing up and creating minutes of mayhem. Bring it on!

Dempsey was good in utilising his advantage in the air to take advantage of Jets and Liam Picken, in making the hard tag, was also successful in taking him out of the game.

It'll be interesting to see what opposition coaches do to deal with him. Is Wojo a chance to play on him? He has speed (though I'm not too sure how that compares) and certainly body or body he'd be able to beat Lewis.

But yes, as you said Rojo he does invoke an additional headache which is something we've lacked a little while. Goodesy has always been our X-factor and the primary attacking weapon so I'm glad we've got Jets up our sleeve too. As you said, they've got the ability to turn games and make an impact with very few disposals.

erica
20th June 2012, 05:39 PM
I hope someone tells the SCG that the Swans are expecting the gates to open at 4.05pm. The SCG and the stadium next door are advertising in all the papers about their weekend of footy - 3 codes - and stating that the gates open at 5pm.

Of curse, the SCG may have already decided that the reserves won't be playing there on Friday...

stellation
20th June 2012, 05:55 PM
the SCG may have already decided that the reserves won't be playing there on Friday...
To be fair, regardless of the weather the ground is going to be rather wet after the traditional pre-Friday night Geelong game watering.

ugg
20th June 2012, 06:22 PM
Their website says 4.05

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/events-lib/event-swans-v-geelong-22jun12/

wolftone57
20th June 2012, 07:32 PM

I am not sure what you mean Gong? I think Armstrong and AJ are both capable of very long kicks out of defence. The other thing it does give us is the chance to mix it up in the kick outs. Mal, Marty and Rhyce are pretty predictable, whereas Armstrong is a real wildcard when kicking in. He mixes it up every time he kicks in and then runs on for the second effort. Mal has been pretty poor at delivery over the last month and this is the problem. You can't continue to play a bloke who may have the ability to destroy a team with pinpoint kicking but just gives the ball up.

Swansongster
20th June 2012, 08:39 PM
I am not sure what you mean Gong? I think Armstrong and AJ are both capable of very long kicks out of defence. The other thing it does give us is the chance to mix it up in the kick outs. Mal, Marty and Rhyce are pretty predictable, whereas Armstrong is a real wildcard when kicking in. He mixes it up every time he kicks in and then runs on for the second effort. Mal has been pretty poor at delivery over the last month and this is the problem. You can't continue to play a bloke who may have the ability to destroy a team with pinpoint kicking but just gives the ball up.

I certainly hope they keep Satchmo in. He has been a breath of fresh air on rebound. Almost like Kennelly at his best.

dominicfung
20th June 2012, 08:43 PM
I agree. Malceski's become a bit of a dud...
In: McGlynn, maybe Goodes
Out: probably Malceski, and good luck finding another player to omit and bad luck to him.

ugg
21st June 2012, 07:29 PM
Sydney Swans
B: Nicholas Smith, Heath Grundy, Alex Johnson
HB: Martin Mattner, Ted Richards, Jarrad McVeigh
C: Rhyce Shaw, Adam Goodes, Lewis Jetta
HF: Craig Bird, Sam Reid, Jude Bolton
F: Ryan O'Keefe, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Mike Pyke
Foll: Shane Mumford, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack

I/C: Daniel Hannebery, Ben McGlynn, Andrejs Everitt, Tony Armstrong
Emg: Nick Malceski, Jesse White, Trent Dennis-Lane

In: Adam Goodes, Ben McGlynn
Out: Nick Malceski, Trent Dennis-Lane

Geelong Cats
B: Tom Lonergan, Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright
HB: Josh Hunt, Harry Taylor, Taylor Hunt
C: Steven Motlop, James Kelly, David Wojcinski
HF: Mitch Duncan, James Podsiadly, Mathew Stokes
F: Paul Chapman, Tom Hawkins, Steve Johnson
Foll: Trent West, Joel Selwood, Jimmy Bartel

I/C: Joel Corey, Andrew Mackie, Dawson Simpson, Allen Christensen
Emg: Cameron Guthrie, George Horlin-Smith, Lincoln McCarthy

In: Dawson Simpson, Allen Christensen, James Podsiadly
Out: Jesse Stringer, Cameron Guthrie, Orren Stephenson

ernie koala
21st June 2012, 07:31 PM
Fairly predictable.
TDL can count himself a bit stiff.
Everitt can count himself a bit lucky.

jono2707
21st June 2012, 07:35 PM
TDL unlucky - must have wanted the bigger body of Andrejs in against the Cats..... Hope we see Trent back soon.....

DLBIA14
21st June 2012, 07:35 PM
Looking a bit tall, but again, after the Dons game I'm not going to judge...

Nico
21st June 2012, 08:03 PM
Fairly predictable that Everitt will be the sub.

swansprincess
21st June 2012, 08:29 PM
Fairly predictable that Everitt will be the sub.

Likely, but I don't agree with it. He usually takes a while to warm into the game and is one of if not the most ineffective sub in terms of being able to come on and make an impact. Having said that though, I was pleasantly surprised with his last game.

GongSwan
21st June 2012, 08:57 PM

It's my belief that Everitt is the longest kick in teh club right now. I been wrong b4, also his delivery inside 50 last week was very good, the one he squared to Hanners was exceptional. Both Armstrong and AJ are capable of 40, 50m. Everitt can kick from the square to the circle, it's an asset when u want to move the ball fast. At this point, Everitt would have better match fitness and has been ineffective as sub, so I'd probably play him

Chilcott
21st June 2012, 09:15 PM
TDL out, Everitt stays in - I now can't get that INXS song out my head - Mystify, mystify me.

I need perfection
Some twisted selection
That tangles me
To keep me alive.............

wolftone57
21st June 2012, 10:04 PM
Little bit disappointed that TDL has been omitted. He gives us another forward option and with Benny back it could have been a gun forwardline. I think we have missed the boat a bit here. Drey is a great kick but where do you play him? definitely not forward or back he is crap in a set posie. He is better as a run on player, so on ball, either wing or in the CS.

RogueSwan
21st June 2012, 10:11 PM
Poor TDL. Didn't do anything wrong, whereas Everitt....

longmile
21st June 2012, 10:14 PM
I dont understand Longmire's logic here. In a game where we need our forward structure more than ever he drops the man who provides it to keep in someone who time and time again has proved he is not a swan. TDL is genuine target up front, both leads well and crumbs well. Everitt is easily muscled out of a context and is seen rarely leaving. Sometimes I think Lomgmire lacks imagination

Gezball
21st June 2012, 10:43 PM
can't believe they dropped TDL.... I don't agree with that at all.

ShockOfHair
21st June 2012, 11:06 PM
You can't play TDL ahead of McGlynn.

Go Swannies
21st June 2012, 11:07 PM

this.

ernie koala
21st June 2012, 11:15 PM

But you can play him ahead of Everitt.

DLBIA14
21st June 2012, 11:44 PM

Everitt will be the sub surely. He can play tall and small I suppose, so he gives flexibility (although he doesn't play brilliantly in either position). TDL is unlucky no doubt but somebody had to be omitted and Horse admitted as much that it was a difficult decision.

Dan
21st June 2012, 11:54 PM
McGlynn is ahead of TDL, so he gets a spot in the 21. Everitt is a better choice as a SUB than TDL, even though he probably would be behind him if it was for a spot in the 21. TDL played as the sub and was pretty useless, Everitt can fill in anywhere and logically makes a better choice for the substitute (jack of all trades, master of none).

Gezball
22nd June 2012, 12:25 AM

x2

Melbourne_Blood
22nd June 2012, 09:04 AM
McGlynn is ahead of TDL, so he gets a spot in the 21. Everitt is a better choice as a SUB than TDL, even though he probably would be behind him if it was for a spot in the 21. TDL played as the sub and was pretty useless, Everitt can fill in anywhere and logically makes a better choice for the substitute (jack of all trades, master of none).

TDL's best game this year ( IMO) was as the sub against Richmond. Tackled hard, had two shots on goal, presented well, in just over a quarter of footy. He hasnt quite matched that performance in any of his other games i dont feel.

Doctor
22nd June 2012, 09:55 AM
I suspect we're going to see Goodesy largely play in the forward line tonight. I think TDL's omission is for balance. I'm with others here in that he's a different kind of forward and offers something else but I think that others have nailed in when they say that Everitt offers more flexibility as a sub. It does leave us very tall but it's not likely to be wet tonight.

Captain
22nd June 2012, 10:06 AM
TDL should be in the team ahead of Everitt. Shame that he has been dropped.

RogueSwan
22nd June 2012, 10:10 AM
... It does leave us very tall but it's not likely to be wet tonight.

I reckon it will be a very heavy dew, and I am not talking about Stuey. With a damp ball, TDL's handling>>>>Everitt's.

22nd June 2012, 10:24 AM
Agree TDL is unlucky and I do think he offers something to the team but I think it's a side balance issue with McGlynn coming back in.

You'd think Goodes will play mostly forward so I'm not sure what LRT will be doing unless he is FF for structure and Goodes is a roaming forward.

Everitt will surely be the sub, Armstrong needs to get full games now so he is well integrated into the backline for later in the year.

erica
22nd June 2012, 10:41 AM
I reckon it will be a very heavy dew, and I am not talking about Stuey. With a damp ball, TDL's handling>>>>Everitt's.

Don't think there will be dew. The winds have just arrived in Sydney.

Plugger1300
22nd June 2012, 10:53 AM
Hate to see TDL dropped but going through the side it was hard to find anyone else (obviously Everitt but i choose to ignore him as Longmire will keep playing him regardless) hope TDL takes it in his stride. Must be frustrating though.

Real confidence going into tonight and i would be very surprised to lose and not be shocked if we blew them away.
watching with some diehard cats supporters so my arrogance needs to be backed up or its going to be a long weekend.

Go Swannies
22nd June 2012, 11:28 AM
Hate to see TDL dropped but going through the side it was hard to find anyone else (obviously Everitt but i choose to ignore him as Longmire will keep playing him regardless) hope TDL takes it in his stride. Must be frustrating though.

?? I don't think Everitt can think he's a certainty for selection every week, as you suggest. But with Bennie and Goodes back if you dropped Everitt you'd have to move either LRT, TDL or Sam into the midfield - or expect Goodes to not play as a forward on his first game back. Maybe the coaching panel looks at a balanced team rather than "lets knife someone" as many here (not necessarily you Plugger) seem to suggest?

I admire your confidence. Somehow I think this won't be a close game but I have no idea which way it'll go. The Cats are a hard, clever team but the Swans are deserved favourites. Win this and we should definitely be looking at Top 4 and a shot at the flag in 2012. We'll know more about that after Rounds 16 and 20 . . .

CJK
22nd June 2012, 11:38 AM
Game does not start till 7.50 is that right?

stellation
22nd June 2012, 11:42 AM
I appreciate the desire for forward structure, and Trent does help with that- but you'd assume that Goodesy is probably going to spend a fair portion of the game plonked in the forward line.

Just based on their performance in the last game, I thought that Andrejs was a hell of a lot better than Trent. I'd hazard to guess that he might have picked up some votes in the B&F as well for doing the job that was asked of him by the coaches; late in the 4th when it seemed like every Swan had tired legs and we had a ruckman that couldn't jump Andrejs went third man up at stoppages a number of times, that sort of thing doesn't go unnoticed by the coaches and helped us hang on.

jono2707
22nd June 2012, 12:06 PM
Game does not start till 7.50 is that right?

Correct - gives Channel 7 enough time to go on with a load of rubbish and run some ads, whilst it allows extra time for us to get through the schemozzle that is eastern suburbs traffic on a Friday night to get into the ground.

wolftone57
22nd June 2012, 12:30 PM
?? I don't think Everitt can think he's a certainty for selection every week, as you suggest. But with Bennie and Goodes back if you dropped Everitt you'd have to move either LRT, TDL or Sam into the midfield - or expect Goodes to not play as a forward on his first game back. Maybe the coaching panel looks at a balanced team rather than "lets knife someone" as many here (not necessarily you Plugger) seem to suggest?

I admire your confidence. Somehow I think this won't be a close game but I have no idea which way it'll go. The Cats are a hard, clever team but the Swans are deserved favourites. Win this and we should definitely be looking at Top 4 and a shot at the flag in 2012. We'll know more about that after Rounds 16 and 20 . . .

Not sure I agree with the sentiment that TDL, LRT or Sam would have to go to the mids. Bennie will play a certain amount in the mids as he has for most of the season. Goodsie will also be playing his part in the mids, yes even in his first match back. But Drey is better in the mids than in a set back or forward spot. Longmire is probably looking for that little extra in the mids with Lukie out.

wolftone57
22nd June 2012, 12:32 PM
Someone said in another thread we have gone very tall on what looks like a wet night to come. But the BOM tells us there is only 30% chance of rain. There will probably be a dew on the ground as the overnight temp in set to drop to 7 and that also means a fog. Let's hope the Cats players get lost in the fog and our blokes clean up.

Ruck'n'Roll
22nd June 2012, 12:33 PM
Poor TDL. Didn't do anything wrong, whereas Everitt.... . . . . . . sat next to Adam for every game he was injured, which just goes to show how supportive a fellow he must be.

In all seriousness, Ronnie Burns on MG last night noted that the cat's were a bit top heavy. Which just goes to prove he didn't look too clearly at our team. Thank goodness it's at the SCG!

And while I remain a big fan of AJ, not even I am going to claim his kicking is particularly penetrative. It's better than last year but I think be still gets too much height but only mediocre distance.

wolftone57
22nd June 2012, 12:35 PM
Agree TDL is unlucky and I do think he offers something to the team but I think it's a side balance issue with McGlynn coming back in.

You'd think Goodes will play mostly forward so I'm not sure what LRT will be doing unless he is FF for structure and Goodes is a roaming forward.

Everitt will surely be the sub, Armstrong needs to get full games now so he is well integrated into the backline for later in the year.

I am not a fan of LRT at FF. Not a fan of him in the ruck either so I am glad that has been resolved. He does however make a contest in the forward line. But I would like to see a more confident marking player like 'The Spang' in the FF spot.

wolftone57
22nd June 2012, 12:41 PM
. . . . . . sat next to Adam for every game he was injured, which just goes to show how supportive a fellow he must be.

In all seriousness, Ronnie Burns on MG last night noted that the cat's were a bit top heavy. Which just goes to prove he didn't look too clearly at our team. Thank goodness it's at the SCG!

And while I remain a big fan of AJ, not even I am going to claim his kicking is particularly penetrative. It's better than last year but I think be still gets too much height but only mediocre distance.

I nearly spluttered when Ronnie said that. I thought 'Have you even looked at the line ups?' The SCG is a ground for tall marking players as we proved in 2005 & 2006 with playing Ball & Jolly as well as Big Bad Bazza. But there is also a need for crumbers and in Bennie, Kizza & Bolts we have them just wish we had one more. Lukie was proving very valuable in that role switching with Kizza. We should be ok as they have also gone very tall too.

erica
22nd June 2012, 12:59 PM
Someone said in another thread we have gone very tall on what looks like a wet night to come. But the BOM tells us there is only 30% chance of rain. There will probably be a dew on the ground as the overnight temp in set to drop to 7 and that also means a fog. Let's hope the Cats players get lost in the fog and our blokes clean up.

It's too windy for dew and fog. Both those things need still air.

I will be interested to see how the wind affects the goal kicking now that half of one the stands has been demolished.

wolftone57
22nd June 2012, 01:10 PM
It's too windy for dew and fog. Both those things need still air.

I will be interested to see how the wind affects the goal kicking now that half of one the stands has been demolished.

The wind is going to settle tonight according the BOM. It is going to be about 20k/hr. At the moment it is 30-40k/hr. The air is a little damp and that also causes a sort of dew as does all the breath of the crowd. There has been no stand knocked down yet as far as I know Erica, maybe they did it in the last two weeks. but if the stands are still there the same as last game the wind will be the same as always. But also with only 20k/hr it won't be really strong anyway and will be almost gone as the night progresses. If the stand has been demolished then it will cause a kind of vacuum effect.

erica
22nd June 2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, they have partially knocked down a stand, wolftone. Saw it on the news two nights ago!

I'm taking a pic of the work progress each time I go to a game at the SCG and will do a collage at the end. I did the same with the Trumper stand build and it's a great record of how the SCG changes.

Nico
22nd June 2012, 01:30 PM

And they said that pesky meteor that is passing earth wouldn't have an effect on earth. Yeh right. First an eathquake now this....

Nico
22nd June 2012, 01:37 PM
Everitt will be the sub surely. He can play tall and small I suppose, so he gives flexibility (although he doesn't play brilliantly in either position). TDL is unlucky no doubt but somebody had to be omitted and Horse admitted as much that it was a difficult decision.

What positions are you referring to? Last time I looked Everitt was tall so I find it difficult to believe he can transform himself into a small.

GongSwan
22nd June 2012, 01:42 PM
I am not a fan of LRT at FF. Not a fan of him in the ruck either so I am glad that has been resolved. He does however make a contest in the forward line. But I would like to see a more confident marking player like 'The Spang' in the FF spot.

I would have assumed LRT will play a defensive role on Scarlett in an attempt to stop him intercept marking, setting up play and rebounding from Cats d50

wolftone57
22nd June 2012, 02:21 PM
What positions are you referring to? Last time I looked Everitt was tall so I find it difficult to believe he can transform himself into a small.

I presume Nico that is referring to Everitt being able to play in the Mids as well as Set posie forward. I don't mind when he plays on the wing on in the centre square. The two's played him there a few times and it worked really well as every time he got it the ball went flying 60 metres into our forward line.

wolftone57
22nd June 2012, 02:24 PM
I would have assumed LRT will play a defensive role on Scarlett in an attempt to stop him intercept marking, setting up play and rebounding from Cats d50

I think you are right Gong but he may be a little slow for 'Will' but will beat him overhead and if he stays back stop Skarlett from running off altogether. But I'm sure Scott will work that out quickly. So we also need game plan two, ROK on Scarlett when LRT off thew ground or he takes him if Scarlett goes for a run.