PDA

View Full Version : Defence wins premierships

Dirtyburt
1st July 2012, 11:03 PM
Swans PA 919, the closest WCE 988. Sure we play some high scoring teams late in the season, but it is highly reminiscent of 2005. Different side/style sure, but same winning formula.

Midfield pressure, accountable forwards, hard at it undersized defenders and most important unselfish play for your mates, bloods football

DeadlyAkkuret
1st July 2012, 11:54 PM
No team has gained as much percentage in one match against GWS as Sydney. Not a bad effort on the weekend.

swanspant12
2nd July 2012, 12:58 AM
Were so strong at the moment in every facet. Even though our forward line can look disorientated at times, we have to remember rohan is gonna be out the whole year. When he was in, horse was playing him out of the goal square. If we had rohan, goodesy, reid and mcglynn in our forward line it would be so dangerous. Gazza played well out of the square last year, in particularly the eagles and geelong game.

GongSwan
2nd July 2012, 02:52 AM
We're still missing Parks in the middle and in rotations, as well as having half a Goodes on the field, if we keep playing Everitt he'lll get fitter and move up the field onto a wing or HHF. Plenty of upside yet. I thought Jude was quiet against the Giants but had 24, down on 41 i know, but capable of much more.

DamY
2nd July 2012, 08:09 AM
No wonder it's tough for fringe players to break into the seniors side

dimelb
2nd July 2012, 08:59 AM
In the brief summary of clubs' positions, today's Age describes our forward line as "potent", but oddly doesn't mention our defence.

veramex
2nd July 2012, 10:21 AM
I like going off the 100 point rule. its held pretty true over the last few years, and is a testament to our defence.
We haven't lost any games where we have scored more than 100 points*.
It has been our scoring in recent years that has struggled, but I remember all the talk at the end of last year about improving our goal kicking, and here we are midway through 2012 and leading the competition in % accuracy. Would absolutely love if Rohan was still out there - our forward line definitely could do with some improvement in scoring - we are still a bit too dependant on our mid-field scoring. would like to see our tall forwards take a few more contested marks where it counts. I think we have the right people there to do that, but would be nice to get a bit of form in that area as well.

*we have lost twice when we have scored exactly 100 points since 2004.
date winner goals behinds score loser goals behinds score venue
25/04/2009 Fremantle 18 13 121 Sydney 16 4 100 Subiaco
21/07/2007 West Coast 16 16 112 Sydney 15 10 100 Subiaco

goswannie14
2nd July 2012, 10:29 AM
Back in 05/06 your "100 point rule" was my 14 goal rule. If we scored 14 goals in a match we won almost every time. But your stats at the bottom of the post are the exceptions to that rule.

Jewels
2nd July 2012, 11:27 AM
I have a little "thing" when I'm watching a game that if we are the FIRST to kick 13 goals we will win.
We have lost a few when we are second to kick 13, but in the ten years I've been watching I don't recall us losing a game where we were the first.

Red
2nd July 2012, 02:35 PM
I have a little "thing" when I'm watching a game that if we are the FIRST to kick 13 goals we will win.
We have lost a few when we are second to kick 13, but in the ten years I've been watching I don't recall us losing a game where we were the first.
I love little "things" like that, in-game portents to the final result.

I've got several, but this one is on my list now :)

GongSwan
2nd July 2012, 03:26 PM
In the brief summary of clubs' positions, today's Age describes our forward line as "potent", but oddly doesn't mention our defence.

The defensive side of teh game is under rated by all media who are only interested in how many goals, apparently that's where the excitement happens. I'm more on the edge of my seat when the ball is flying into our back six to shanklin or Revolt ing etc. I guess that's a one eyed view

swans_premiers
2nd July 2012, 09:00 PM
Funnily enough the last time the team with the lowest points against didnt make the grand final was adelaide in 2005. We had the 2nd best.

If we finish the season with the lowest against odds are we'll atleast make the grand final.

Doctor J.
4th July 2012, 01:33 PM
Swans PA 919, the closest WCE 988. Sure we play some high scoring teams late in the season, but it is highly reminiscent of 2005. Different side/style sure, but same winning formula.

Midfield pressure, accountable forwards, hard at it undersized defenders and most important unselfish play for your mates, bloods football

Could still be below 1000 after round 14. (13 games) Surely a record in the AFL.

ScottH
15th July 2012, 11:22 PM

I was thinking about the recently too. The big difference this year is that we are scoring decent scores as well as having a great defence. Hopefully it will continue for another few months. We are looking really good.

Dirtyburt
16th July 2012, 12:54 AM
I was thinking about the recently too. The big difference this year is that we are scoring decent scores as well as having a great defence. Hopefully it will continue for another few months. We are looking really good.

Very different route to goal now, very similar tough clearance work. But, more pertinently, we have the run to close back in defence. O'keefe and bird run back hard when needed.

Doctor
16th July 2012, 11:02 AM
I was very impressed with our ability to get back in numbers yesterday while still attacking so strongly. We've combined the discipline of our stoppage work with excellent ball movement and attacking flair.

Nico
16th July 2012, 11:42 AM
Our endurance just went up a few notches. The tanks of our midfield is amazing and rivals that of the Pies. Their ability to work into the backline was outstanding. It looked to me that the midfield worked back in numbers to about our defensive 30 metre line with the backs filling the last 30 metres. There was always 3 or 4 in support on the last line of defence.

goswannie14
16th July 2012, 01:20 PM
Looking at the ladder at the moment we have 70 less points kicked against us than any other team, the next best team is Hawthorn.