PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Rnd 16 V The Eagles

aardvark
7th July 2012, 11:07 PM
Ins. Marty M. Luke P
Outs. Everitt Armstrong

Swansinger
7th July 2012, 11:39 PM
Despite his fine performance tonight , it is more likely that Esky will make way for Mattner.

bloodsman
8th July 2012, 12:23 AM
Id like to see parker and matter in for everitt and bird. Would also love tdl in for lrt but that will seemily never happen.

Bloody Hell
8th July 2012, 12:26 AM
Despite his fine performance tonight , it is more likely that Esky will make way for Mattner.

Hard to see someone with 29 touches and a massive influence on the game being dropped when there are many more lesser contributors.

Dirtyburt
8th July 2012, 12:34 AM
Id like to see parker and matter in for everitt and bird. Would also love tdl in for lrt but that will seemily never happen.

No, LRT yet again showed why he is one of first on the team sheet. Fantastic exhibition of second efforts, working to get to a contest, holding the ball in the forward line, bringing the ball to ground as boundary line outlet. He was very very good

mcs
8th July 2012, 12:48 AM

I'd doubt Parker will be in next week - by all reports he looked pretty short of a run today in the reserves (I didn't get up in time to see any of it), and you don't want to risk an unfit player at the big expanses of Subiaco. Bird struggled a bit today, but has had an excellent season, and is so important in close for us as well.

DeadlyAkkuret
8th July 2012, 01:19 AM
No, LRT yet again showed why he is one of first on the team sheet. Fantastic exhibition of second efforts, working to get to a contest, holding the ball in the forward line, bringing the ball to ground as boundary line outlet. He was very very good

LRT supporters taking it to a whole new level. He was about par, maybe.

top40
8th July 2012, 06:43 AM
LRT supporters taking it to a whole new level. He was about par, maybe.

I thought the far more organised group were the LRT knockers. Sorry to disappoint that group but Lewie was pretty solid and effective in the Lions game.

To drop Eskie on his Brisbane performance would be a complete injustice.

If Mattner is fully fit, replace him with Everitt.

If Parker is fully fit, (and i mean fit enough to effectively ran around Subi for 2 hours after a five hour flight to Perth), replace him with Bird

TDL is at least a consideration on the basis of a horses for courses scenerio. The guy kicked 60plus goals for the Subi club mainly at that ground for Season 2009 in the WAFA competition.

8th July 2012, 08:43 AM
Don't change a winning team will be the line this week but at Subi they should pick a team for the ground.

Eski gave a vintage performance and will relish the big Subi ground, he stays. Mattner if fit must come into the 21. Everitt for the red vest would be my bet.

Out will be Armstrong which is a pity given Subi should suit him and not considered but should be is TDL on his home ground.

LRT will stay but will be a liability at Subi which desperately calls for more runners and we are now fielding a top heavy team.

Nich
8th July 2012, 09:14 AM
Hard to see someone with 29 touches and a massive influence on the game being dropped when there are many more lesser contributors.

Very hard. He would be very unlucky. Instrumental.

Another lesson to never write people off. He is definitely slowing in pace but his scoring assist value was top notch.

jono2707
8th July 2012, 09:17 AM
No change - Eski was pretty much back to his best last night and it looks like the kick up the bum has worked wonders.... LRT and Bird stay too....

Nich
8th July 2012, 09:33 AM
If Marty is fit there will be at least one change. Another Coach favourite. You don't drop a guy like MM for one week for copping an injury in training and then not put him back in next week if he is fit. I would be AMAZED.

Dirtyburt
8th July 2012, 09:44 AM
I thought the far more organised group were the LRT knockers.

Sounds like a Benny hill sketch

stellation
8th July 2012, 09:52 AM
boundary line outlet
Well if that title isn't damning with faint praise I'm not sure what is! ;)

stellation
8th July 2012, 09:55 AM

:rofl

top40
8th July 2012, 10:31 AM

What a predictable response from "Dirtyburt"

Swanner
8th July 2012, 11:31 AM
I actually think lrt has been very important in getting our forward structure right. I think we need Armstrong in for his pace even as a sub. Who ever misses out will be very unlucky.

Nico
8th July 2012, 12:02 PM
Bird stays in because we need all the run with players we can muster against the WCE. LRT goes to the backline to help cover for all their talls. So who plays on Cox and Nicnat when they are resting up front. They are bound to try to stretch our lack of height down back. What I noticed against North was that they were caught quite a bit for pace and on the hop with North's quick rebound. They got back into it as North started to run out of legs. So we need to work the ball quickly into our forward line and through the midfield.

Captain
8th July 2012, 12:20 PM
Bird stays in because we need all the run with players we can muster against the WCE. LRT goes to the backline to help cover for all their talls. So who plays on Cox and Nicnat when they are resting up front. They are bound to try to stretch our lack of height down back. What I noticed against North was that they were caught quite a bit for pace and on the hop with North's quick rebound. They got back into it as North started to run out of legs. So we need to work the ball quickly into our forward line and through the midfield.

Not sure we lack height down back?

Grundy, Richards, Johnson and as you say maybe LRT. Looks pretty strong on the height front to me!

longmile
8th July 2012, 12:44 PM
I'm sorry but LRT was shocking last night. He seemed to fall over every time he ran towards the ball. LRT is a backman not a forward, he has no forward instincts. Spangher would take LRT's role perfectly. I'd love to see Everitt and LRT out for Spangher and TDL and then we actually have what could be a threatening forward line which could see us take the final step to being premiership contenders. How good would we be if Rohan wasn't injured! Our depth this year has been outstanding! Very excited for the next 2-3 yrs.
But overall good game last night and always great to knock the Pies off the top of the ladder! :)
However I doubt there will be any changes for next week, as Parker is probably still another week away and Longmire would never drop LRT, only Mattner coming in for Armstrong or maybe give Johnson a rest.

Dirtyburt
8th July 2012, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry but LRT was shocking last night. He seemed to fall over every time he ran towards the ball. LRT is a backman not a forward, he has no forward instincts. Spangher would take LRT's role perfectly. I'd love to see Everitt and LRT out for Spangher and TDL and then we actually have what could be a threatening forward line which could see us take the final step to being premiership contenders. How good would we be if Rohan wasn't injured! Our depth this year has been outstanding! Very excited for the next 2-3 yrs.
But overall good game last night and always great to knock the Pies off the top of the ladder! :)
However I doubt there will be any changes for next week, as Parker is probably still another week away and Longmire would never drop LRT, only Mattner coming in for Armstrong or maybe give Johnson a rest.

Why would we rest Johnson?

Kirkari
8th July 2012, 01:48 PM
...and Longmire would never drop LRT, only Mattner coming in for Armstrong or maybe give Johnson a rest.

Longmire will drop LRT just as soon as LRT's not delivering what he's asked to every week, or when there's a better option available for a given game. (I just have this saved so I can copy and paste now.)

Parker's a good chance to come back next week, even with the big ground. He's just such a good little player. He was clearly on another level in the Reserves and with a bye, I can't see them leaving him out just on lacking a bit of fitness. He'll probably be the sub. Everitt had a couple of wobbles but overall probably did enough to keep his spot. Armstrong is likely to be the unlucky one.

Assuming Marty's back, Mal is also be dropped again - though I liked most of his game too.

Going over to watch so this week is going to seem like a looong wait!

Kirkari
8th July 2012, 01:50 PM

Because, to quote Rhyce Shaw, he's held together with sticky tape. Though unless he's actually injured, I don't see it.

ShockOfHair
8th July 2012, 04:16 PM
I'm happy for LRT to stay in the team because a) we're winning and b) he seems like a nice guy. I thought he was OK yesterday in those moments when he was on his feet.
In the last two games TV commentators have showered unprompted praise on LRT. Words like "swingman" and "important to the team structure" were used, though no-one has come right out and said he's playing well.

teddys mum
8th July 2012, 04:32 PM
Barring injuries, no changes is my bet - although I wish we could squeeze TDL in who would go well at Subi.

teddys mum
8th July 2012, 04:42 PM
Considering we aren't playing the pies or hawks at the MCG this home and away season, then next week will surely be the hardest game we are likely to play outside of finals

Doctor
8th July 2012, 05:47 PM
While there are a lot of valid reasons behind not changing a winning team, and Horse has consistently demonstrated his selection policy, I think TDL has to come into consideration for next week. I think we're a little tall and not quite mobile enough for Subiaco (or whatever it's called this week). I'm not going to nominate a fall guy, because everyone's putting in right now and it's too easy to single individuals out and turn the thread into a witch hunt. Wish we had Gaz for next week though.

Aaron
8th July 2012, 06:47 PM
The forecast for next Sunday in Perth will be a few showers and not sure when McVeigh need to play Dad's duty - So some factors in the the changes

crackedactor
8th July 2012, 07:02 PM
I'd doubt Parker will be in next week - by all reports he looked pretty short of a run today in the reserves (I didn't get up in time to see any of it), and you don't want to risk an unfit player at the big expanses of Subiaco. Bird struggled a bit today, but has had an excellent season, and is so important in close for us as well.

Agree 100%. The big Subiaco ground will definetly find out a player who is not fully fit. Parker has missed too much football. I would include Mattner for Everitt. Cannot drop Malecski as he played his best game for about 3 years. Everitt will be stiif, because he did not play that bad. Bird had a poor game, but he has had some good ones in the past and in Subiaco you need endurance to last the 4 quarters, which Bird has. This is the first time this season that I find it diifcult to drop anyone!

Bloody Hell
8th July 2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah...Full Forward kicks zero goals in flogging.

wolftone57
8th July 2012, 10:03 PM
Ins. Marty M. Luke P
Outs. Everitt Armstrong

Location down South says it all! I saw Lukie's comeback game and he needs another game to get some match fitness. I think Goodsie should have found his match fitness in the Two's too as he was useless in his comeback game. I don't believe in a 'WALK UP' start for anyone! Lukie is a Mid and it is even more difficult for him than Goodsie who can just play forward. Not this week. I will be very interested as to how Marty comes up but yes Drey looks the most susceptible. I think we need to keep Tony because his delivery is so good. In the last quarter last night Tony spoiled on no less than three occasions when they could have had a real chance and caused a turnover. We need to persevere with the kid as he can really play. I think Drey can too and a couple of times I thought he was going to show just how good he was and then he twice stuffed up the kick!

Reggi
8th July 2012, 10:11 PM
By finals last year he looked spent. Second year young player, I would like to see him get a rest before the end of the year. It's not form. With Malceski back woul like to see us rest some

I would play Everitt on the bigger ground

wolftone57
8th July 2012, 10:16 PM
I really want to say something here. I think given enough confidence Drey is going to really break a gamer apart. He almost did it last night but just fell short with decision making. I look at this guy and think when are you going to do it? One day he is going to blow a game apart. I think we are using him the wrong way, maybe we need to use him the same way the Hawks use Young? A pinch hitter from a wing in small bursts who kills them and kicks huge goals!

wolftone57
8th July 2012, 10:19 PM

I will be the first to say I don't like LRT Forward or in the Ruck but he played his part last night. He was particularly good in the last quarter dropping back into the backline and blocking JB! He is a backman and last night showed where he is most comfortable and I loved seeing him there so strong!

Dirtyburt
9th July 2012, 01:00 AM

Your right, I'm converted. I would get rid of jetta also he only kicked one in a flogging. Lucky we had Sam Reid who kicked 6 unassisted by anyone else. Maybe we should play 20 players next week? What do you think?

Dirtyburt
9th July 2012, 01:03 AM
By finals last year he looked spent. Second year young player, I would like to see him get a rest before the end of the year. It's not form. With Malceski back woul like to see us rest some

I would play Everitt on the bigger ground

If injured rest him, he is a year older and our 3rd tall. His height and marking ability is underrated by some. Mal would never hold his spot

DeadlyAkkuret
9th July 2012, 01:34 AM
Your right, I'm converted. I would get rid of jetta also he only kicked one in a flogging. Lucky we had Sam Reid who kicked 6 unassisted by anyone else. Maybe we should play 20 players next week? What do you think?

Other than the fact Jetta has kicked 32 goals for the year playing through the middle, compared to 8 goals for LRT who has spent a lot of time up forward, you make a really good point.

Bloody Hell
9th July 2012, 01:41 AM

What do I think? I think you're [Frog:Text removed]. (He asked your honour.)

What do the contribution of Jetta and Reid have to do with LRT? Deflect much?

You may have lowered your expectations in life to the point where you are happy to have a full forward who doesn't kick goals - I have not. Send him down back where he plays best and is comfortable. Pick a forward, who still brings the ball to ground, creates tackling pressure, etc....but who kicks goals!

aardvark
9th July 2012, 08:28 AM
Location down South says it all!

Tut tut Wolfie, demeaning us Southerners again. Play the ball not the man remember!!!

BillyRayCypress
9th July 2012, 07:41 PM
I like it when RWO has a 15 page thread on changes to the team, then come Thursday night and its - NO CHANGE.

So NO CHANGE.

I forgot Mal was included but he did pick up towards the end. They won't take injured or recovering players on such a long trip. Mal to sub.

grarmy
9th July 2012, 08:01 PM
Considering we aren't playing the pies or hawks at the MCG this home and away season, then next week will surely be the hardest game we are likely to play outside of finals

Geelong at home? (last home and away game)

Nico
9th July 2012, 08:14 PM
Is Johnson injured? Or was he taken off as a like for like with Armstrong. I reckon he was subbed off earlier in the year.

Kirkari
9th July 2012, 10:02 PM
Geelong at home? (last home and away game)

The Geelong that just struggled against Gold Coast? Not the biggest of our worries. More worried about the Hawks R22.

But this weekend will be a tough game, as will Pies at ANZ. Hard work ahead.

Dirtyburt
9th July 2012, 10:13 PM
What do I think? I think you're [Frog:Text removed]. (He asked your honour.)

What do the contribution of Jetta and Reid have to do with LRT? Deflect much?

You may have lowered your expectations in life to the point where you are happy to have a full forward who doesn't kick goals - I have not. Send him down back where he plays best and is comfortable. Pick a forward, who still brings the ball to ground, creates tackling pressure, etc....but who kicks goals!

You don't agree then?

Here is a plan, let's keep both Jetta and LRT in the side and carry on winning.

Any good?

wolftone57
10th July 2012, 11:27 AM

You are right Lukie is not ready. He was very short of a run in the first half of the resies. He did improve his work-rate in the second half but his judgement was a bit off and that is not like him. I think he definitely needs another week. The unfortunate problem is the Two's don't play this week and that could set him back one more week.

wolftone57
10th July 2012, 11:33 AM
You don't agree then?

Here is a plan, let's keep both Jetta and LRT in the side and carry on winning.

Any good?

Burt LRT is better down back as he proved in the last half last week. He was really good coming over the back for the spoil and looked to feel more comfortable back home in the back line. Loved what he did in the last half there. Don't think he is a great forward, yes he does bring the ball to ground but if there are no runners to pick the spoils the ball comes back out again as he doesn't mark too many. I think we need someone who can pull down the marks other than Reid. LRT can surprise us sometimes by pulling down the big one but not enough. Pykie has proved he can take the big mark as has Mummy & Joey.

I think LRT's role has to change to the backline in games where their forward targets are of the ruckman type!

wolftone57
10th July 2012, 11:42 AM
Tut tut Wolfie, demeaning us Southerners again. Play the ball not the man remember!!!

All I was saying is you are not seeing the game live they only see what the tele allow you to see. We see everything at the ground. Interstate games we have the same problem as you but at least for 11 games we can see it live. That gives us a good idea of what is happening on the whole ground. You Southerners are blind to that for at least 16 games a season. You also don't get to see the resies Aardvark so you have no idea as to how a player is going in his preparation or return from injury except what the resies watchers and the club say.

I am a Resies Watcher and go to all the games that are scheduled before the Seniors. I can't get to places like Canberra as I don't drive and it is a hell of a long trip by train but I might make it there one day. The problem with making changes to a side is the players coming back need to be ready. If the people who go out and watch training say someone is not in the main training group then I presume they won't be returning. So let us wait on how Marty pulls up this week and forget Lukie for now.

ernie koala
10th July 2012, 11:46 AM
Is Johnson injured? Or was he taken off as a like for like with Armstrong. I reckon he was subbed off earlier in the year.

He had his boot off and was limping after the game...so something was hurting.

Beerman
10th July 2012, 02:15 PM
He had his boot off and was limping after the game...so something was hurting.

Stone in his shoe, hopefully?

Mountain Man
10th July 2012, 07:22 PM
I have just been looking at the WCE goal scorers for the season. Lynch sits 3rd with 24 and Shuey 6th with 14. The 3rd 'out' Watters has scored 6 goals.

The 'tall' Darling tops the list with 28; Cox is 4th with 19 and Natanui has 10. Assuming only one of Cox and Natanui is forward at any one time, our 2 standard tall defenders should be OK, now Lynch is out.

Hill is 2nd on the list with 26 season goals, and Hams 5th with 15. Scott Selwood has 8 and Kerr 7. Our 'small' defenders and midfield pressure should be adequate again.

I would still like to see Mattner return to the side, as on the large ground his run and speed (as well as long kicking) would be advantageous. I think one of Armstrong or Malceski will drop out of the 22, based on their general similarity of style.

BillyRayCypress
10th July 2012, 08:14 PM
There's no chance the Swans will fly Mattner's groin 3000 K's to play if it was bad enough to miss last week.

aardvark
10th July 2012, 08:19 PM
There's no chance the Swans will fly Mattner's groin 3000 K's to play if it was bad enough to miss last week.

Yep....knowing how the swans injury updates work he's probably out for the year.:frown

Melbourne_Blood
10th July 2012, 10:20 PM
If Mattner doesn't come up, i would start Mal and Armstrong and maybe give the sub vest to Everitt. Or, for something a bit different, O keefe to be the sub.

Kirkari
10th July 2012, 10:20 PM

I disagree. He was a late withdrawal last week so must have been close to ready, plus 8 days between games.

BillyRayCypress
10th July 2012, 10:32 PM
Assuming only one of Cox and Natanui is forward at any one time, our 2 standard tall defenders should be OK, now Lynch is out.

I disagree. He was a late withdrawal last week so must have been close to ready, plus 8 days between games.

On AFL Insider tonight, they showed footage of last weekends game at Hobart. Both Nic Nat and Cox near the goal square so they will both play forward at the same time.

I hope Mattner gets up and goes but soft tissue injuries don't travel well and especially that distance.

ernie koala
10th July 2012, 10:43 PM
If Mattner doesn't come up, i would start Mal and Armstrong and maybe give the sub vest to Everitt. Or, for something a bit different, O keefe to be the sub.

OKeefe....sub???? surely you jest.

If Mattner plays I reckon Armstrong will be the unlucky one to miss out.

And Everitt will revert back to his best position.....sub.

Beerman
11th July 2012, 07:48 AM
I have just been looking at the WCE goal scorers for the season. Lynch sits 3rd with 24 and Shuey 6th with 14. The 3rd 'out' Waters has scored 6 goals.

The 'tall' Darling tops the list with 28; Cox is 4th with 19 and Natanui has 10. Assuming only one of Cox and Natanui is forward at any one time, our 2 standard tall defenders should be OK, now Lynch is out.

Hill is 2nd on the list with 26 season goals, and Hams 5th with 15. Scott Selwood has 8 and Kerr 7. Our 'small' defenders and midfield pressure should be adequate again.

Yep, on another forum the WC fans were lamenting that over 60% of their goals in 2011 came from players who are currently injured or suspended. How they are second on the table is a mystery to me and a fantastic testimony to their depth.

It's like us losing Reid, McGlynn, O'Keefe, Parker and Jetta

RogueSwan
11th July 2012, 11:37 AM
On AFL Insider tonight, they showed footage of last weekends game at Hobart. Both Nic Nat and Cox near the goal square so they will both play forward at the same time...

But was that with Lynch rucking at the time?

ShockOfHair
11th July 2012, 11:56 AM

Yep. That's a long way to fly a groin!:smile:

OKeefe....sub???? surely you jest.

If Mattner plays I reckon Armstrong will be the unlucky one to miss out.

And Everitt will revert back to his best position.....sub.

I think this is pretty close. Except for Parker. If picked I reckon he will get the vest and Everitt take the week off (no ressies this weekend).

ugg
11th July 2012, 12:33 PM
On AFL Insider tonight, they showed footage of last weekends game at Hobart. Both Nic Nat and Cox near the goal square so they will both play forward at the same time.

That was from a set shot on goal.

BillyRayCypress
11th July 2012, 01:51 PM
That was from a set shot on goal.

But they were there nevertheless. They only have to be inside 50 at the same time to pose problems.

Cox had a huge game last week and between him and Nic Nat, the Swans will have lots of work to do.

Swansongster
11th July 2012, 02:20 PM
... between him and Nic Nat, the Swans will have lots of work to do.

If we still had Tadhg Kennelly and Jarred Moore in the line-up, we could get the former to smash him at the contest with the latter picking up the crumbs.

It would be a "Nic Nat Paddy whack, [to] give a dog a bone".

OK. I'll get my hat.

R-1
11th July 2012, 03:58 PM
):

Doctor
12th July 2012, 06:51 PM
Sigh. Just realised that it's a Sunday game so we're gonna name a 7 man bench tonight and have to wait another 24 hours to find out who's actually playing!

ugg
12th July 2012, 07:24 PM
In: Dennis-Lane, Mattner, Walsh

No outs yet

liz
12th July 2012, 07:28 PM
I guess it will be Mattner in if he pulls out, probably at the expense of Armstrong. Malceski or Everitt to be sub (or maybe Bird, though I suspect he might be assigned a tagging role on one of the Wiggles' mids). Would love to see TDL come in, but suspect he won't.

ugg
12th July 2012, 07:30 PM
West Coast Eagles
B: Adam Selwood, Darren Glass, Eric Mackenzie
HB: Shannon Hurn, Will Schofield, Sam Butler
C: Matthew Rosa, Matthew Priddis, Andrew Gaff
HF: Patrick McGinnity, Jack Darling, Chris Masten
F: Brad Sheppard, Dean Cox, Ashton Hams
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Scott Selwood, Daniel Kerr

I/C: Mitch Brown, Lewis Stevenson, Koby Stevens, Jacob Brennan, Murray Newman, Fraser McInnes, Thomas Swift

In: Adam Selwood, Mitch Brown, Lewis Stevenson, Brad Sheppard, Fraser McInnes, Thomas Swift
Out: Quinten Lynch (Suspension), Luke Shuey (Suspension), Josh Hill (Hamstring)

New: Fraser McInnes (Perth)

Sydney Swans
B: Rhyce Shaw, Heath Grundy, Alex Johnson
HB: Nicholas Smith, Ted Richards, Jarrad McVeigh
C: Nick Malceski, Jude Bolton, Lewis Jetta
HF: Craig Bird, Sam Reid, Ben McGlynn
F: Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Adam Goodes, Ryan O'Keefe
Foll: Shane Mumford, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack

I/C: Martin Mattner, Daniel Hannebery, Mike Pyke, Trent Dennis-Lane, Andrejs Everitt, Tony Armstrong, Tommy Walsh

In: Martin Mattner, Trent Dennis-Lane, Tommy Walsh

Dirtyburt
12th July 2012, 07:34 PM
Hill out as well! Decimated forward line

Go Swannies
12th July 2012, 07:36 PM
I wonder if there's someone carrying a bit of an injury that we have that line up as our ins? I guess we have to wait to see.

Dirtyburt
12th July 2012, 07:37 PM
I wonder if there's someone carrying a bit of an injury that we have that line up as our ins? I guess we have to wait to see.

Just a Sunday game, extended bench

longmile
12th July 2012, 07:51 PM
I guess it will be Mattner in if he pulls out, probably at the expense of Armstrong. Malceski or Everitt to be sub (or maybe Bird, though I suspect he might be assigned a tagging role on one of the Wiggles' mids). Would love to see TDL come in, but suspect he won't.

I think you are spot on. Would love to see TDL get a run on subiaco, but cant see it happening. Him for Everitt would make sense as we need more agile players. Him running down the wing against Essendon at the bigger ground of Ethihad was one of the highlights of the Essendon game for me.

wolftone57
12th July 2012, 09:52 PM
But they were there nevertheless. They only have to be inside 50 at the same time to pose problems.

Cox had a huge game last week and between him and Nic Nat, the Swans will have lots of work to do.

Apparently big Lynch played in the ruck last week in the second half as they were getting nothing out of him forward and NicNat and Cox played forward and in the end that won them the game. But Lynch is not there this week!

wolftone57
12th July 2012, 09:57 PM
I am zonked that Hill is injured! Wow! that is really big as he has kicked a whole lot of goals for them this year! I think the team is going to be picked on who they play! If they play small we go smaller if they play really tall as in McInness then we go that way but I don't think there will be much real change.

Melbourne_Blood
12th July 2012, 10:22 PM
Interesting that Walsh has been named on the extended bench. Could they be considering dropping Pykey for Walsh and using LRT as second ruck? Mummy has been working up close to full fitness. I don't wish to see this happen, ( im a big fan of the moose) but it may be an option they are considering.. Could also just be to show Walsh he is doing everything right in the 2's and is in line for a call up if a spot arises.

Dirtyburt
12th July 2012, 10:37 PM
Interesting that Walsh has been named on the extended bench. Could they be considering dropping Pykey for Walsh and using LRT as second ruck? Mummy has been working up close to full fitness. I don't wish to see this happen, ( im a big fan of the moose) but it may be an option they are considering.. Could also just be to show Walsh he is doing everything right in the 2's and is in line for a call up if a spot arises.

LRT may be used in exactly that role to tag cox around the ground.

Xie Shan
12th July 2012, 10:44 PM
If Lewis Stevenson plays, will this game set a record for the most number of players named Lewis to take part in a match?

liz
12th July 2012, 10:48 PM

I reckon they are just taking him over to give him some experience preparing with the senior team. He has had a pretty continuous last couple of months playing with the reserves so maybe they judge he doesn't need the extra training session the reserves will do over the weekend as much as some other players. And his form has been good enough to suggest that if he is required to come into the side for a late injury, he can play his role.

liz
12th July 2012, 10:50 PM
If Lewis Stevenson plays, will this game set a record for the most number of players named Lewis to take part in a match?

Did we ever have all three of our Lewises play in the same game last year? I think Johnston only played a couple of games, so quite likely we didn't.

Xie Shan
12th July 2012, 10:59 PM
I was wrong! All three of our Lewises played against North Melbourne last year.

swanspant12
12th July 2012, 11:23 PM

Don't think LRT has the height to go with cox. Pyke will run with him you'd think.

Go Swannies
13th July 2012, 12:27 AM
Don't think LRT has the height to go with cox. Pyke will run with him you'd think.

Pyke may have the speed but I don't think he has the smarts. I'm guessing LRT at least in our forward half and Reg in the back half.

BillyRayCypress
13th July 2012, 12:40 AM
My money is that there will be no change to last weeks team.

Makes no sense to have Mattner on the bench and then the person who replaced him last week in the side. Unless Mattner is a no go.

If anyone came in I would hope that its TDL.

Bloody Hell
13th July 2012, 06:11 AM

We can only hope.

Ruck'n'Roll
13th July 2012, 09:46 AM
My money is that there will be no change to last weeks team.
I suspect so too.
If they play Pike, Sam and Goodes up forward then there's no need for LRT, but the temptation to utilise him down back (if Ted/Reg can't handle the resting ruckman) or up forward (if Goodes moves onto the ball) will see him keep his place.
Will this make us top heavy?

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 10:01 AM
I suspect so too.
If they play Pike, Sam and Goodes up forward then there's no need for LRT, but the temptation to utilise him down back (if Ted/Reg can't handle the resting ruckman) or up forward (if Goodes moves onto the ball) will see him keep his place.
I think they will not allow cox to drop back into the whole. I suspect that LRT will assigned the task of manning him when he is not in the square. Similar role he played on Gardiner in 2005

Mr Magoo
13th July 2012, 11:42 AM
If the order of the interchange sent out by the swans in the match preview is any indicator then it may be Everitt, Armstrong and Walsh will be the emergencies.

Would make sense - armstrong for mattner, tdl for everitt.

Nico
13th July 2012, 12:37 PM

Maybe they will tag team him. On the ball Pyke gets him, up forward LRT takes over.

ugg
13th July 2012, 12:53 PM
I don't think we will put LRT back on Cox, not from the start anyway. Whoever is on Cox or NicNat while they are playing as forward will require help and we may try and engineer a loose man, or the "plus one" as Rodney Eade likes to call it, in Mattner or Johnson to assist.

giant
13th July 2012, 02:00 PM
I suspect so too.

THis is what I think will be occupying the minds of the match committee most - to LRT, or not to LRT. Would be a very handy back up defender if the resting rucks become a handful for Grundy/Ted, but may be exposed at Subi as one tall too many if played as a forward. Not easy.

Go Swannies
13th July 2012, 02:12 PM
Perth forecast -

Sunday A shower or two. Min 6 Max 19</pre>

GongSwan
13th July 2012, 02:15 PM
Perth forecast -

Sunday A shower or two. Min 6 Max 19</pre>

Beautiful for us, tad cool for them I would have thought

ugg
13th July 2012, 05:36 PM
Final teams

Eagles
I/C: Mitch Brown, Koby Stevens, Jacob Brennan, Thomas Swift
Emg: Lewis Stevenson, Murray Newman, Fraser McInnes

In: Adam Selwood, Mitch Brown, Brad Sheppard, Thomas Swift
Out: Quinten Lynch (Suspension), Luke Shuey (Suspension), Josh Hill (Hamstring), Murray Newman

Swans
I/C: Martin Mattner, Daniel Hannebery, Mike Pyke, Andrejs Everitt
Emg: Trent Dennis-Lane, Tony Armstrong, Tommy Walsh

In: Martin Mattner
Out: Tony Armstrong

Matt79
13th July 2012, 05:54 PM
Final teams

Eagles
I/C: Mitch Brown, Koby Stevens, Jacob Brennan, Thomas Swift
Emg: Lewis Stevenson, Murray Newman, Fraser McInnes

In: Adam Selwood, Mitch Brown, Brad Sheppard, Thomas Swift
Out: Quinten Lynch (Suspension), Luke Shuey (Suspension), Josh Hill (Hamstring), Murray Newman

Swans
I/C: Martin Mattner, Daniel Hannebery, Mike Pyke, Andrejs Everitt
Emg: Trent Dennis-Lane, Tony Armstrong, Tommy Walsh

In: Martin Mattner
Out: Tony Armstrong

I would have loved to have seen TDL get a run back in his home town. My preference would have been Everitt out too with TDL in.

As it is, you can bank on Everitt being the sub.

Doctor
13th July 2012, 06:14 PM
Well I'd have preferred TDL to be in the side, but we're on top, so I assume the coaching staff know what they're doing!!

longmile
13th July 2012, 08:17 PM
Disappointing again not to see TDL in. I fear he'll go to another club at the end of this year. What a waste that would be

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 08:24 PM
Disappointing again not to see TDL in. I fear he'll go to another club at the end of this year. What a waste that would be

You pick your best 22 to win a game which we have been doing. If you do that, and you are top of the ladder, you are doing it very well. If that means you lose peripheral players, sad, but so be it. You hope they stay and fight to get in a good side with premiership potential. If they leave meh

Melbourne_Blood
13th July 2012, 08:36 PM
Are we top heavy? Ted, Grundy, Reid, LRT, Mummy, Moose. Throw in the mobile talls AJ, Goodes and Everitt.... That's a few players above 190 cm on a big ground. Possibly one Too many considering the Eagles have lost Lynch and Hille ( can play tall, not sure how tall he is). We'll see I guess.

longmile
13th July 2012, 10:21 PM
You pick your best 22 to win a game which we have been doing. If you do that, and you are top of the ladder, you are doing it very well. If that means you lose peripheral players, sad, but so be it. You hope they stay and fight to get in a good side with premiership potential. If they leave meh

Except that TDL is in our best 22 and is better than peripheral player.

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 10:27 PM
Except that TDL is in our best 22 and is better than peripheral player.

Seems the coach and selection committe disagree. The same ones that have picked a side that sees us sit on top of the ladder.

I'm backing them

bodgie
13th July 2012, 10:44 PM

Maybe they think he's required now but is what we have seen so far this year the best LRT can deliver? He really hasn't done much to suggest he'll be in our best 22 next year so we could easily lose both. Net gain? Zero.

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 10:55 PM
Maybe they think he's required now but is what we have seen so far this year the best LRT can deliver? He really hasn't done much to suggest he'll be in our best 22 next year so we could easily lose both. Net gain? Zero.

This is not serious surely?

When you are a genuine shot at a premiership (which Hopefully we can all agree we are?) you play the best 22 you have to win EVERY game.

Bugger what happens next year

Net win a premiership

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 11:00 PM
I would also point out I really rate TDL. He has picked up his defensive work and spread. He is simply not in our BEST 22 ATM

longmile
13th July 2012, 11:05 PM
This is not serious surely?

When you are a genuine shot at a premiership (which Hopefully we can all agree we are?) you play the best 22 you have to win EVERY game.

Bugger what happens next year

Net win a premiership

Yes it is serious. TDL provides a far better forward option than LRT or Everitt. I'm not saying that LRT shouldn't be in the team, he just shouldn't be in the forward line.

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 11:07 PM
Yes it is serious. TDL provides a far better forward option than LRT or Everitt. I'm not saying that LRT shouldn't be in the team, he just shouldn't be in the forward line.

Your speaking for bodgie?

bodgie
13th July 2012, 11:10 PM
I would also point out I really rate TDL. He has picked up his defensive work and spread. He is simply not in our BEST 22 ATM

The toughest part of the season is coming up. We are equal fourth. I am confident of making the top four. I think next year is our best chance of taking the top spot. I am not dogmatic about our best 22. TDL has a lot of potential. I think LRT has past his best. Its just my opinion. The coaches and your good self won't be convinced otherwise.

longmile
13th July 2012, 11:16 PM
Your speaking for bodgie?

Yes, Bodgie and I have discussed the TDL issue several times together and share a mutual agreement.

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 11:18 PM
The toughest part of the season is coming up. We are equal fourth. I am confident of making the top four. I think next year is our best chance of taking the top spot. I am not dogmatic about our best 22. TDL has a lot of potential. I think LRT has past his best. Its just my opinion. The coaches and your good self won't be convinced otherwise.

Play for today, a genuine shot at a premiership is a not a thing to be taken lightly.

We have had a charmed run with injury this season (apologies rooster). Both goodes and mummy are now back in the fold. Who knows if we will be so fortunate next year?

We are equal top! Not fourth

Dirtyburt
13th July 2012, 11:19 PM
Yes, Bodgie and I have discussed the TDL issue several times together and share a mutual agreement.

Lmao

bodgie
13th July 2012, 11:28 PM
I shall withdraw from another LRT thread as gracefully as I can. Thank you longmile and dirtyburt.

Melbournehammer
14th July 2012, 12:05 AM
Gee whiz north's win tonight makes the eagles form look good

Jewels
14th July 2012, 12:19 AM

And conversely makes Collingwood look very, very ordinary.
Go Cats!!!!!!

Nich
14th July 2012, 12:21 AM
Such a tight 8. Crazy to think where we could fall too if we lose this one game.

liz
14th July 2012, 12:59 AM

Not so convinced. I thought the game was incredibly poor-skilled, especially in the second quarter and parts of the third. (I gave up watching after 3/4 time.) Both teams were fumbling the ball and turning it over at will with poor kicks. North's propensity to over-handball, especially slow loopy handballs, is relatively easy to counter by any team willing to apply a bit of pressure. Luckily for North today, Carlton's tackling was pretty lame.

Certainly North were ultra-efficient in their forward line, but Carlton's defence was non-existent at times.

I am not saying that North are completely rubbish. Clearly they have some good wins in the last month or so. But I reckon Carlton's performance tonight made North look much better than they are.

If Pyke and Mumford can at least contain Cox's influence and our midfield can keep at least one of Priddis and Kerr tame in the midfield clearances,we really should be able to win this. With the Weagle's "outs" we have to if we are a viable premiership contender. (I hope we are but I am not 100% sure yet.) The difference in the size of the ground compared to the SCG will be a factor, but our recent record at Subi isn't too bad, and we won at York Park earlier this year. So I think the game style holds up on the larger grounds as well as it does at the SCG.

Ruck'n'Roll
14th July 2012, 08:12 AM
A Swan syllogism

The selectors choose the team, the team is on top of the ladder, therefore the selectors are correct.

dendol
14th July 2012, 09:36 AM
Not so convinced. I thought the game was incredibly poor-skilled, especially in the second quarter and parts of the third. (I gave up watching after 3/4 time.) Both teams were fumbling the ball and turning it over at will with poor kicks. North's propensity to over-handball, especially slow loopy handballs, is relatively easy to counter by any team willing to apply a bit of pressure. Luckily for North today, Carlton's tackling was pretty lame.

Certainly North were ultra-efficient in their forward line, but Carlton's defence was non-existent at times.

I am not saying that North are completely rubbish. Clearly they have some good wins in the last month or so. But I reckon Carlton's performance tonight made North look much better than they are.

If Pyke and Mumford can at least contain Cox's influence and our midfield can keep at least one of Priddis and Kerr tame in the midfield clearances,we really should be able to win this. With the Weagle's "outs" we have to if we are a viable premiership contender. (I hope we are but I am not 100% sure yet.) The difference in the size of the ground compared to the SCG will be a factor, but our recent record at Subi isn't too bad, and we won at York Park earlier this year. So I think the game style holds up on the larger grounds as well as it does at the SCG.

Agree. WCE are missing 7 or 8 of their best 22, now including Lynch, Hill and Shuey who are not playing this week compared to last week. Waters also provides alot of link and run out of their defence and that role will be solely on Hurn's shoulders now, so a defensive forward or tag on him will hopefully nullify any of their rebound.

I just can't see a forward line of Darling, Shepperd, Hams and Masten (and with Cox or NicNat resting) doing much damage to our very solid defense or provide enough pressure on Mattner, Shaw and co setting up our attacks. I can see Jetta having a field day too as there is no real standout matchup for our little weapon.

The massive worry is obviously the Cox/Natanui partnership. I really hope Mummy and Pyke have the legs to go all game with them. Stop Cox from having a 4th qtr like last week and North would have won last week. Surely he cant be superman again!. Sydney by 41. ;)

eggbeater
14th July 2012, 01:56 PM
... Sydney by 41. ;)

I hope not! I put $100 on Swans to win 1-39!

longmile
14th July 2012, 02:18 PM
Agree. WCE are missing 7 or 8 of their best 22, now including Lynch, Hill and Shuey who are not playing this week compared to last week. Waters also provides alot of link and run out of their defence and that role will be solely on Hurn's shoulders now, so a defensive forward or tag on him will hopefully nullify any of their rebound.

I just can't see a forward line of Darling, Shepperd, Hams and Masten (and with Cox or NicNat resting) doing much damage to our very solid defense or provide enough pressure on Mattner, Shaw and co setting up our attacks. I can see Jetta having a field day too as there is no real standout matchup for our little weapon.

The massive worry is obviously the Cox/Natanui partnership. I really hope Mummy and Pyke have the legs to go all game with them. Stop Cox from having a 4th qtr like last week and North would have won last week. Surely he cant be superman again!. Sydney by 41. ;)

The way you say that makes it seem like there's nothing to stress about! It'll be a stroll in the park! :D

dendol
14th July 2012, 04:00 PM
The way you say that makes it seem like there's nothing to stress about! It'll be a stroll in the park! :D

I hope not! I put $100 on Swans to win 1-39!

Im on Swans 40+ @ $11 :)

GongSwan
14th July 2012, 05:29 PM
Im on Swans 40+ @ $11 :)

Tom Waterhouse seems to be having an impact on preview and gameday threads

Swansongster
15th July 2012, 12:23 PM

It is amazing how gambling has become an integral part of discussion about the game. Asa sometime footy punter, I am ambivalent about whether this is a good or bad thing but it never used to be so.

BillyRayCypress
15th July 2012, 02:36 PM

Has anyone noticed the 666 in his ads?

GongSwan
15th July 2012, 03:17 PM
Has anyone noticed the 666 in his ads?

Is it just above his hairline on the forehead?

dendol
15th July 2012, 08:25 PM

See, nothing to stress about at all!

bodgie
15th July 2012, 08:55 PM
See, nothing to stress about at all!

Great Game! Nice close first half and we let lose at the end there.