PDA

View Full Version : Blue Collar Midfield ??

Swansinger
16th July 2012, 03:54 PM
Look at Jack , look at Kennedy , look at Hanners - up there with the elite. Jubba in possibly career-best form , Macca showing splendid form over the past few weeks , likewise ROK.

Yet still I see the odd reference to our "blue collar" midfield.
Are the media stick in a time warp?
It's not 2005 !
But maybe , come 29th Sep , we'll have 'em thinking it is :D

Then they will be forced to show a bit more respect.

Jewels
16th July 2012, 04:09 PM
Yer that got up my nose a little bit also.

GongSwan
16th July 2012, 07:30 PM
Bugger the media, ill informed, inbred country corn fed hicksville tossers. Ever been on a plane flying into Melbourne, "Ladies and gentlemen, we are now landing in melbourne please set your watches back 5 years"

annew
16th July 2012, 07:51 PM
Bugger the media, ill informed, inbred country corn fed hicksville tossers. Ever been on a plane flying into Melbourne, "Ladies and gentlemen, we are now landing in melbourne please set your watches back 5 years"

(clap)

Melbourne_Blood
16th July 2012, 08:12 PM
I think by blue collar it is meant we don't have Judd's and Murphy's , Swans and pendleburys. It is largely a tough, inside midfield without a lot of electrifying pace or big names. Its not too far from the mark, ROK, Jude, Kennedy, Bird, Hanners, Jack. I would say all of those fit the bill of blue collar, I don't think it is necessarily an insult. It could be meant as no frills, hard nosed and hard working. Though Jack is a bit of a jet and has a great burst of speed, and obviously Jetta is Jetta. But other than that, i feel we are a blue collar midfield, and a bloody good one at that! The great Geelong team that won 3 flags had an excellent blue collar midfield too, led by Selwood, Ling, Corey and Bartel. Nothing wrong with being blue collar IMO.

Legs Akimbo
17th July 2012, 07:45 AM
Look at Jack , look at Kennedy , look at Hanners - up there with the elite. Jubba in possibly career-best form , Macca showing splendid form over the past few weeks , likewise ROK.

Yet still I see the odd reference to our "blue collar" midfield.
Are the media stick in a time warp?
It's not 2005 !
But maybe , come 29th Sep , we'll have 'em thinking it is :D

Then they will be forced to show a bit more respect.

The whole article was stupid - I read it on my phone on the AFL app. 5 points or something. All about West Coast really, talked about all their injuries, and iced with the blue collar midfield comment. Far from it. We have a great midfield full or Ferraris (Jetta), Lambos (Jack), Porsches (Kennedy) BMWs (Parker) Mercedes (Bird), running out of luxury brands, Audis (Hannebery), Lexus' (O'Keefe) Range Rovers (Mumford).

Anyway, the point is that one of the key reasons we are on top of the ladder is that our list of quality midfielders is long. Any of the above players can be considered top tier and by seasons end, I' have Jetta, Jack, Kennedy, Mumford and possibly Hannebery as A Grade. Backline strongest in the league, forward line starting to come together. Yep, I think we are the real deal this year. Blue Collar Pfft.

DamY
17th July 2012, 10:05 AM
I think by blue collar it is meant we don't have Judd's and Murphy's , Swans and pendleburys. It is largely a tough, inside midfield without a lot of electrifying pace or big names. Its not too far from the mark, ROK, Jude, Kennedy, Bird, Hanners, Jack. I would say all of those fit the bill of blue collar, I don't think it is necessarily an insult. It could be meant as no frills, hard nosed and hard working. Though Jack is a bit of a jet and has a great burst of speed, and obviously Jetta is Jetta. But other than that, i feel we are a blue collar midfield, and a bloody good one at that! The great Geelong team that won 3 flags had an excellent blue collar midfield too, led by Selwood, Ling, Corey and Bartel. Nothing wrong with being blue collar IMO.

Yeah I got the hard-working, not flamboyant point of view, nothing disrespectful at all. Went on to praise how hardworking Jack, Hannebery, O'Keefe are and mentioned terms like workman etc. I don't think it was meant as a slight.

Go Swannies
17th July 2012, 10:54 AM
Just lazy journalism. They remember Kirk's comment about the Swans midfield being Cortinas to the Eagles Porsches (?) and just keep repeating it. It's the same as "there's only one star in the whole Swans team" despite the many weeks when he's not the best player.

It's annoying that Jetta features as one of the great highlights of AFL but few can remember which Jetta he is.

And "I don't even know who the Swans captain is" is just downright offensive. (Thought it may soon be easy to forget who is/was the Blues captain.) It's Mark McVeigh - everyone knows that.

And today one report said Pyke was an unlikely goal kicker - that's rather surprising for someone playing full forward at the time (and who has taken contested marks against Glass and Scarlett in recent weeks). I could go on but it's too depressing.

Oh, a decade on I think they all know LRT by his hair and the fact he's a rugby convert like that other little guy Jack someone or other - despite one being a Premiership player SEVEN YEARS AGO and the other is a B&F winner in a club that fosters a great club culture.

I'm waiting for one of them to think Nick Davis is in the substitute's orange vest and about to come on (I wish!)

Swansongster
17th July 2012, 11:30 AM
I'm waiting for one of them to think Nick Davis is in the substitute's orange vest and about to come on (I wish!)

As he seems to now be a kicking coach at the club, I'm still loving his work. Our accuracy this year is top-rate.

Jewels
17th July 2012, 12:00 PM

I get your point and completely agree with your analogy and you've hit the nail on the head in what it is that annoys me with that article, because I never remember the media labeling the Geelong midfield as blue collar.

Cpt. Kirk
17th July 2012, 12:33 PM
I get your point and completely agree with your analogy and you've hit the nail on the head in what it is that annoys me with that article, because I never remember the media labeling the Geelong midfield as blue collar.

They weren't there is a difference between our midfield and geelong's our players are not necessarily the most talented blokes out there but they go out there every week and get the job done. They always get the best out of what they can do. I don't think its offensive at all what i do find offensive is the media's lack of love for Lewis Jetta perhaps one of the most exciting brilliantly skilled players running around at the moment.

Go Swannies
17th July 2012, 01:13 PM
They weren't there is a difference between our midfield and geelong's our players are not necessarily the most talented blokes out there but they go out there every week and get the job done. They always get the best out of what they can do. I don't think its offensive at all what i do find offensive is the media's lack of love for Lewis Jetta perhaps one of the most exciting brilliantly skilled players running around at the moment.

Well summarised - that's exactly what is meant by "Blue Collar" and that is what is so annoying. The "old blokes" Jude and Ryan may qualify from the era of the Kirk Cortinas but do you think that Hannebery, Jack, Kennedy, Jetta (plus Shaw, Bird, McGlynn, McVeigh) have less skill than the midfielders at other clubs? As I said earlier - it was an easy way of getting around the fact that the Melbourne media knew little about the players who were lining up for a Premiership - then another - compared with all those players they know so well who weren't.

And here we go again: don't do the homework, reach back into the memory banks of the last time you had to write about that Sydney team and dish up the same cliches. They can't even be bothered coming up with new ones because they think so little of the team.

Melbourne_Blood
17th July 2012, 01:46 PM
No love for Lewis Jetta? Apart from occasionally calling Leroy, the media down here have been frothing over Lewis for weeks! Yeas you've been under a rock you would have noticed.

GongSwan
17th July 2012, 02:05 PM
Well summarised - that's exactly what is meant by "Blue Collar" and that is what is so annoying. The "old blokes" Jude and Ryan may qualify from the era of the Kirk Cortinas but do you think that Hannebery, Jack, Kennedy, Jetta (plus Shaw, Bird, McGlynn, McVeigh) have less skill than the midfielders at other clubs? As I said earlier - it was an easy way of getting around the fact that the Melbourne media knew little about the players who were lining up for a Premiership - then another - compared with all those players they know so well who weren't.

And here we go again: don't do the homework, reach back into the memory banks of the last time you had to write about that Sydney team and dish up the same cliches. They can't even be bothered coming up with new ones because they think so little of the team.

Yep, especially the last paragraph. Just no idea whatsoever, so the first thing that comes to mind is...........2005/6

Cpt. Kirk
17th July 2012, 03:03 PM
No love for Lewis Jetta? Apart from occasionally calling Leroy, the media down here have been frothing over Lewis for weeks! Yeas you've been under a rock you would have noticed.

Compared to rioli he gets nothing. He is a much better player then rioli.

bandwagon
17th July 2012, 03:12 PM
I noticed Leroy got called Lewis at the weekend. Made me smile.

Melbourne_Blood
17th July 2012, 03:15 PM
Jetta has had far more media attention this year than Cyril. I watch all the fox shows, read all the afl news online and in the herald, and listen to SEN. I'm not claiming that makes me an expert because it certainly does not, all I'm saying is Jetta has had far more mentions In all those mediums than Rioli this year. Some of them even mention how he's overtaken Rioli. To say Jetta doesn't get enough media attention is so far wide of the mark it's not funny.

MightyBloods
17th July 2012, 04:47 PM
and Jetstar and Richards have both been mentioned consistently in the Melb media as 'probable' all-australian.

magic.merkin
17th July 2012, 05:42 PM
I agree with the above 2 comments.

Jetta is news down here, and Cyril has gone quiet.

Richards will be AA going by the media down here if he keeps going

rojo
17th July 2012, 05:43 PM
Blue collar? I think Kennedy, Jack and possibly over the past few weeks McVeigh, are better than blue collar. What's more ROK, Hanners, Bolton, and at his best Parker give great depth. The Priddis article on AFL.com had our midfield up there with the best in the competition. Mummy and Pyke's good work must be helping, while Bird is carving out a niche for himself as well.

I was impressed on Sunday that Jack starred in the first half and ROK in the second half. My concern all along has been that the strategy of having the midfielders provide pressure both in the forward line and in defence was causing them to run out of legs in the last quarter. It was probably just how it worked out on the day but it seems like a good idea to say okay Jack, you run yousef ragged in the first qtr, McVeigh, your turn in second, Bolton/Hanners in the 3rd and ROK and who ever can manage it in the 4th. I know, it is obvious I have never coached a sporting team, let alone to victory!

BSA5
17th July 2012, 05:55 PM
It's been an odd mix. We're getting heaps of media coverage, but most of it is still wildly inaccurate. Hopefully it's just a symptom of people suddenly taking notice, and as time goes on it will get more insightful and, well, correct. I still shake my head every time they get the basic roles of our players completely wrong (e.g. on 360 the other night they called McVeigh an "inside warrior" and ROK one of our outside runners), and Nick Smith and AJ are still horribly underrated. We don't have as star-studded a midfield as some teams (e.g. Hawthorn or Collingwood), but at the same time we're certainly no longer blue collar. Jack, Jetta, Kennedy and Hanners all have genuine star quality.

Oh well, in any case, we're starting to gain some recognition. Being rated, but for all the wrong reasons, is probably the best possible thing for us. Keep worrying about how we'll tag you, and we'll just go ahead and win our own ball. Keep worrying about how we'll try to engineer stoppage after stoppage, and we'll just scoot off through the corridor, thank you very much. Keep panicking about our defence more than our attack, and we'll keep putting scores of 100+ on the board. Suits us just fine!

DeadlyAkkuret
17th July 2012, 07:30 PM

I can accept this from the idiots in the Melbourne media, but from one of our own? Phrases like "Hard at it", "Go about their job" and "Honest midfield" are such backhanded compliments. We're much more than that this year.

Cpt. Kirk
17th July 2012, 09:53 PM
I can accept this from the idiots in the Melbourne media, but from one of our own? Phrases like "Hard at it", "Go about their job" and "Honest midfield" are such backhanded compliments. We're much more than that this year.

I disagree, all our mids are brilliant players(are they as talented as pendleberry, Swan and abblett). They are brilliant together they work as a team they know their strengths and their weaknesses and they go up and above what is expected of them every week. I reckon its an honor for players like brett kirk and kieran jack who came from an area of low skill to get the best of themselves and come out high end footballers.

P.S : I respect sydney players more the any others because they do everything in their power to make themselves the best people and the best players they can possible be.

Matimbo
19th July 2012, 10:51 AM
Check out this article in SMH today on Hanners ...

Hannebery, the man who makes the running (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/hannebery-the-man-who-makes-the-running-20120718-22anq.html)

Opinion is one thing, but the facts speak for themselves. Hanners gut running is right at the top of the AFL, far above the tag "blue-collar". In another thread, someone asks what has changed about the Swans since earlier this season. I watched the WCE game again last night and Hanners midfield work has improved out-of-sight since earlier in the season. He was everywhere and his quick handballs were high quality. Lines up with what he says in the article about his fitness now being where he wants it after an interrupted pre-seaon due to knee surgery. Now he just wants to bulk up a few kilos which will make him even more deadly in close.

Plugger1300
19th July 2012, 11:08 AM
The most inaccurate reports are generally from the Sydney based RWO members who complain about lack of coverage of the swans in Melbourne. I'm loving the fact that in the last few weeks the Swans have had articles in both major newspapers and on most footy tv shows. Jon Andersons team of the round has Swans players littered with it every week and last week four players.

We can't be all the Melbourne media talk about as they have to cater to the majority.

Really trying to find things to complain about atm - We are top of the ladder!

BSA5
19th July 2012, 11:37 AM
The most inaccurate reports are generally from the Sydney based RWO members who complain about lack of coverage of the swans in Melbourne. I'm loving the fact that in the last few weeks the Swans have had articles in both major newspapers and on most footy tv shows. Jon Andersons team of the round has Swans players littered with it every week and last week four players.

We can't be all the Melbourne media talk about as they have to cater to the majority.

You won't find me complaining, the media have been all over us for a good month now! There was a week or two earlier in the season when we were the talk of the town as well.

The complaint is that when it rains, it pours. It takes us being one of the best teams in the competition to open the floodgates, and if we're not, if we're "merely" another top 8 side, we get largely ignored. Even North has received a fair bit if coverage this year, but if we were in their position, you think we'd get that? No way!

jono2707
19th July 2012, 11:42 AM

What? Sorry I don't understand how the Sydney-based RWO members give the most inaccurate reports?

FWIW I'm tired of everybody complaining about the lack of media attention - of course the Collingwoods, Carltons and the other Melbourne-based clubs will get the most attention, as that's where the majority of the AFL media is located. I'd rather read one well-written article about us (ie Hanner's article in today's Fairfax press) than 20 fluff pieces about Melbourne-based players that are just used to fill space. Anyway people have to write about us now as we're on top, so of course those that haven't been paying attention will make mistakes and fall back on preconceived notions about how we might have once played.

Nico
19th July 2012, 12:06 PM
What? Sorry I don't understand how the Sydney-based RWO members give the most inaccurate reports?

FWIW I'm tired of everybody complaining about the lack of media attention - of course the Collingwoods, Carltons and the other Melbourne-based clubs will get the most attention, as that's where the majority of the AFL media is located. I'd rather read one well-written article about us (ie Hanner's article in today's Fairfax press) than 20 fluff pieces about Melbourne-based players that are just used to fill space. Anyway people have to write about us now as we're on top, so of course those that haven't been paying attention will make mistakes and fall back on preconceived notions about how we might have once played.

Yep, and I am tired of people referring to "fluff pieces". They are articles about footballers that people want to see and read. They love their teams and players and lap up every story that comes their way. It is ingrained in our culture down here and until SEN arrived there was never enough info about the game and players on radio and TV. Fox has taken up the SEN style by analysing everything about the game and sure is educating the supporters on the intracacies of the game. If they didn't have interesting stories about players in the footy season then I don't know what they would have stories on. Maybe the latest tiddlywinks tournament.

jono2707
19th July 2012, 02:18 PM
Yep, and I am tired of people referring to "fluff pieces". They are articles about footballers that people want to see and read. They love their teams and players and lap up every story that comes their way. It is ingrained in our culture down here and until SEN arrived there was never enough info about the game and players on radio and TV. Fox has taken up the SEN style by analysing everything about the game and sure is educating the supporters on the intracacies of the game. If they didn't have interesting stories about players in the footy season then I don't know what they would have stories on. Maybe the latest tiddlywinks tournament.

More isn't necessarily better. Same thing happens here in Sydney with NRL, where issues are thrown around so much, and so many 'experts' want to have their say, that it all gets a bit tiring. I guess it makes you look forward to the weekend and the real stufff that much more... :smile:

magic.merkin
19th July 2012, 03:15 PM
Switch off?

Plugger1300
20th July 2012, 10:24 AM
Article from The Age this morning from Robert Walls of all people - quite complimentary

Fear, fear the red and the white (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fear-fear-the-red-and-the-white-20120719-22d3a.html)

mcs
20th July 2012, 10:31 AM
Article from The Age this morning from Robert Walls of all people - quite complimentary

Fear, fear the red and the white (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fear-fear-the-red-and-the-white-20120719-22d3a.html)

Very complimentary indeed - but I have always found him a reasonable analyst of the game, and he makes some valid points about what is making us into a good team.

I just hope it all ends up somewhere near what a tweet I saw posted somewhere earlier in the week that said - something along the lines of "most of the media will still not rate the Swans, even on the day after the Swans lift the Premiership Cup' :rofl

# Believe - Bloods 2012!

Go Swannies
20th July 2012, 10:46 AM
Very complimentary indeed - but I have always found him a reasonable analyst of the game, and he makes some valid points about what is making us into a good team.

I just hope it all ends up somewhere near what a tweet I saw posted somewhere earlier in the week that said - something along the lines of "most of the media will still not rate the Swans, even on the day after the Swans lift the Premiership Cup' :rofl

# Believe - Bloods 2012!

The Adjudicator says: "I get the feeling the footy world will wake up the morning after the Swans have won the flag and finally declare them premiership contenders."

The Adjudicator verdict: AFL R17 | AFL Premiership - The Adjudicator | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/the-adjudicator-pays-tribute-to-a-few-top-birds-as-he-gathers-his-thoughts-on-womens-round-in-the-afl/story-fn3g97ka-1226427313279)

mcs
20th July 2012, 11:00 AM
The Adjudicator says: "I get the feeling the footy world will wake up the morning after the Swans have won the flag and finally declare them premiership contenders."

The Adjudicator verdict: AFL R17 | AFL Premiership - The Adjudicator | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/the-adjudicator-pays-tribute-to-a-few-top-birds-as-he-gathers-his-thoughts-on-womens-round-in-the-afl/story-fn3g97ka-1226427313279)

Knew I saw it somewhere :)

Dirtyburt
20th July 2012, 11:40 AM

I am tired of people, complaining about people, who complain about people, who complain about fluff pieces.

Phew, now I'm just tired

Plugger1300
20th July 2012, 11:46 AM

Swansongster
20th July 2012, 12:20 PM

It's really good pic too. I miss Rooster. I am ashamed that I have to ask, but ... "Who is in the foreground?"

alison.z
20th July 2012, 12:59 PM
Jackson Potter - Academy player I think (has played a fair few reserves games)

royboy42
20th July 2012, 02:12 PM
Jackson Potter - Academy player I think (has played a fair few reserves games)

He's a good kid..works very hard, but has to overcome height disadvantage. Improving as he plays more and more ressies. Harry Potter's (ex Ch 10 crime reporter)kid. Must have a pretty good chance of being rookied, and certainly seems to be a member of the Swans family

jono2707
20th July 2012, 03:06 PM
He was at the Trivia Night, so they already consider him a part of the squad, so a rookie spot next year would have to be on the cards.

Didn't know he was Harry's kid either...

BSA5
20th July 2012, 03:13 PM

It still boggles my mind when I see McVeigh referred to as a clearance player. Commentators and analysts always mention him as such, but he has never had a strong inside game. He's actually recently been playing the best "inside" footy of his career, averaging something like 4 clearances a game over the last 6 weeks or so. But that's still well down on clearance specialists like Kennedy, Watson, Swallow, Sam Mitchell, Dangerfield, etc, who average 6-9 a game.

aardvark
20th July 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm not Maccas biggest fan but he's played really well the past month. Probably inspired by being a parent.

BSA5
20th July 2012, 03:32 PM
I'm not Maccas biggest fan but he's played really well the past month. Probably inspired by being a parent.

Oh yeah, I've loved his form, but he's not a clearance king. He doesn't need to be, we've got enough, but I find it funny that that seems to be his image externally.

Doctor
20th July 2012, 03:50 PM

A fair piece from Walls. Other than adding a rogue "T" to AJ's name there's not a lot to argue with there. Not sure if I want us to get more press or less though!

Go Swannies
20th July 2012, 04:41 PM
Oh yeah, I've loved his form, but he's not a clearance king. He doesn't need to be, we've got enough, but I find it funny that that seems to be his image externally.

The last few weeks he's been good at finding the ball and getting it out of congestion. And similarly each week I'm amazed at the speed that Jude can hoof a kick in traffic while being tackled.

jono2707
20th July 2012, 04:53 PM

He's been doing well in that 'quarterback' role behind play - I know some people don't like that qb tag, so I'm happy to call it something else that sufficiently describes that he's generally playing a bit off the back of the pack and setting up a lot of play from the half back line....

Melbourne_Blood
20th July 2012, 06:37 PM
You could argue The 'slingshot' style does resemble American foot ball a bit. Long pass onto a running player in space towards the goal line.

Swansinger
23rd July 2012, 03:38 PM
He's been doing well in that 'quarterback' role behind play - I know some people don't like that qb tag, so I'm happy to call it something else that sufficiently describes that he's generally playing a bit off the back of the pack and setting up a lot of play from the half back line....

Let's go with "playmaker" (borrowed from soccer:smile:).