PDA

View Full Version : Swans small forwards....who are they?

Beerman
17th July 2012, 10:29 PM
I don't have the best footy brain, and was hoping someone could help me out. I was thinking we don't have great small forwards who can feed off the crumbs dropped by Reid and LRT, so I started to think about our small forwards. McGlynn's not been in the best form, and then there's.......umm....Jack, except he normally plays on the ball and.......Bird is listed on the team sheet as a forward, (I always thought he was more of a mid). ROK & Goodes are also listed on the team sheet as forwards, except they both play taller and on the ball quite a bit of the time and finally there's......Jetta! I know he plays on the wing, but he's small and he kicks goals so he must be a small forward. The footy media told me so.

Can someone explain what is going on? Where are our small forwards? Is it just that we tend to not have dedicated small forwards but just rotate our mids through? Is it about having a more open forward line and playing an extra man back and congesting the midfield?

All explanations gratefully received.

RogueSwan
17th July 2012, 10:49 PM
...Is it just that we tend to not have dedicated small forwards but just rotate our mids through?...
This is it, except when TDL plays.

Dirtyburt
17th July 2012, 11:07 PM
I don't have the best footy brain, and was hoping someone could help me out. I was thinking we don't have great small forwards who can feed off the crumbs dropped by Reid and LRT, so I started to think about our small forwards. McGlynn's not been in the best form, and then there's.......umm....Jack, except he normally plays on the ball and.......Bird is listed on the team sheet as a forward, (I always thought he was more of a mid). ROK & Goodes are also listed on the team sheet as forwards, except they both play taller and on the ball quite a bit of the time and finally there's......Jetta! I know he plays on the wing, but he's small and he kicks goals so he must be a small forward. The footy media told me so.

Can someone explain what is going on? Where are our small forwards? Is it just that we tend to not have dedicated small forwards but just rotate our mids through? Is it about having a more open forward line and playing an extra man back and congesting the midfield?

All explanations gratefully received.

Watch jack, hanners, mcglynn inside at forward stoppages and jetta, kennedy outside on the 50m posts. Otherwise, we try and keep players forward of the ball and run onto it. We are not hawthorn we play a very different style.

90's football is gone

swanspant12
17th July 2012, 11:14 PM
Its gone the small forward type. Benny is our best bet. Id love another magic though..

BSA5
17th July 2012, 11:16 PM
Our resting midfielders. That's all we need.

Dirtyburt
17th July 2012, 11:20 PM
Its gone the small forward type. Benny is our best bet. Id love another magic though..

Magic, a small forward!!!

jono2707
18th July 2012, 12:27 AM
Benny's it....

rojo
18th July 2012, 12:33 AM
I know crumbing forwards are not the go these days but I would love TDL to get another chance.

longmile
18th July 2012, 12:54 AM
I guess it's McGlynn. And Jack and Jetta when they go forward. TDL is probs the only real small forward we have.

GongSwan
18th July 2012, 12:57 AM
Benny spends less time in the middle than our other small options, but the whole team moves up and back with the ball. When the press is really working, Tedy Reg and AJ become the centre line

liz
18th July 2012, 01:05 AM
Our resting midfielders. That's all we need.

Yep. Jack, Kennedy, Jetta, Bolton, O'Keefe, Bird, Parker, McGlynn, McVeigh have all demonstrated this year that they can kick "crumbing" goals. Even Reid and Pyke have gotten in on the act. And then there's Goodsey.

20th July 2012, 09:38 PM
TDL is our only genuine small/medium forward.

I reckon we recruited Lamb to cover this deficiency in our line up, such a pity he's spent the best part of two seasons injured.

Ruck'n'Roll
21st July 2012, 08:01 AM
We tend to use midfielders up forward, small and midsize forwards need to become midfield capable to get a game (see TDL and Lambs efforts), otherwise they will stay in the 2's.

johnno
22nd July 2012, 02:54 AM
It's Ben McGlynn

22nd July 2012, 10:17 PM
So who nearly snatched todays game from us? Small forward Milne.

We desperately need to develop a small forward or two. Can't understand how TDL isn't getting a regular game, it's our missing link.

giant
22nd July 2012, 10:23 PM
There were so many times today when a crumber would have been vital - not McGlynn's best game by any means, but the structuring seems poor and it shouldn't be left just to him.