PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Young

penga
18th July 2012, 05:21 PM
Of the released free agent boys, my vote is for Young.

Thoughts?

TPR4
18th July 2012, 05:33 PM
I do like Young with Marty/Shaw getting on as that long kicking half-back/winger. He'd be deadly on the SCG. The one I like is Chris Knights from Radelaide. Still only 25, if he gets his body right he's a gun. Can play deep FWD or a bit higher and rack up touches. That nice in-between size, would play a role better than Dre (who's been really good I think the past few weeks) and allowing Sauce Rohan to play higher, if and when he gets back to his best. Hopefully his old mate Marty from his Crow days (fairly sure they'd have been on the list together) can word him up.

ShockOfHair
18th July 2012, 09:16 PM
Not sure if Cliff Young's available but he's got a good tank.

Melbourne_Blood
18th July 2012, 09:35 PM
Pretty sure I saw An article in the paper earlier in the year that said Young will become a restricted free agent at the end of the year

aardvark
18th July 2012, 10:41 PM
Not sure if Cliff Young's available but he's got a good tank.

Dunno how he'd go putting stops on his gum boots though.......

Dirtyburt
18th July 2012, 10:44 PM
Who would he push off our senior list?

Swansongster
18th July 2012, 10:53 PM
Who would he push off our senior list?

LRT, of course.

Just joking. I like LRT.

Dirtyburt
18th July 2012, 10:54 PM
LRT, of course.

Just joking. I like LRT.

Ah of course, silly me

Dirtyburt
18th July 2012, 10:57 PM
LRT, of course.

Just joking. I like LRT.

St Lewis of the eternal headgear will be with us for a while

18th July 2012, 11:03 PM
Who is going from our list at the end of the year? Intriguing I believe because none of our senior citizens looks to be on the way out.

Is Moore the only definite retirement?

Oh yes, I like Young and he's got a couple of mates here already.

Dirtyburt
18th July 2012, 11:12 PM
Who is going from our list at the end of the year? Intriguing I believe because none of our senior citizens looks to be on the way out.

Bulldog was never going to play senior footy, who else?

Swansongster
18th July 2012, 11:15 PM

Is he Bloods material?

Rod_
19th July 2012, 12:13 AM
For what I recall of his skills, he has potential after he gets a full pre season after his injuries. Yes I would take him, but I wouldn't give away a key player to get him... Potential fringe player that could be a ace..

Rod_

grarmy
19th July 2012, 12:35 AM

Is Moore the only definite retirement?.

Try Seaby, White, TDL ( He'll be off to Freo citing a lack of opportunity) Morton (if we can offload him) Spangher (a damn shame but injury ridden)

jono2707
19th July 2012, 08:26 AM
Try Seaby, White, TDL ( He'll be off to Freo citing a lack of opportunity) Morton (if we can offload him) Spangher (a damn shame but injury ridden)

Maybe, yes, no, yes, no. Meredith on the cusp too (shame).

How many do we have to offload anyway?

Plugger1300
19th July 2012, 10:43 AM
Always been a big fan of Young, thought he was close to BOG in the 2008 grand final. Injuries have cruelled his career to date but he is a damaging left footer with loads of talent. Good fit for us I would think just a bit more outside speed.

BSA5
19th July 2012, 12:03 PM

I'd keep Seaby as cover. He seems like a good role model. He's a better player than White, who I agree should go (if we could trade him for anything it would be a bonus, not counting on it though).

TDL, could be an interesting one. I want to keep him. We've put so much work into him, and he's doing what's asked of him now, we've just got so few places. I'd try to talk him around to another year here. That said, I can definitely see him leaving, maybe to Freo, maybe to WC, maybe to another club like GC or GWS.

Morton has talent, and has worked hard this year. He has slowly but steadily crept up the bests lists in the ressies, so he's learning and applying what the coaches are trying to teach him. It's been a slower process than we might have hoped, but I have faith. Remember, we're trying to undo however many years it's been of Terry Wallace! He's a bloody talented player, and putting him on a flank delivering the ball to Goodes and Reid, with a confident Everitt on the other flank, and Jetta and Rohan on each wing, makes me all gooey inside!

As for Spangher, he's very handy KPP depth. Imagine, god forbid, that Reid goes down next year, or even this year. Who do we have to replace him? I like Walsh, but he's not ready this year, and will be still getting lost next year. White? Gone. Spangher is hard, experienced, and will apply forward defensive pressure. He is a must-have depth player IMO, at least until our reserve KPP stocks are better (honestly I think he's probably a great influence on the ressies as well, and the value of that can't be underestimated). Body is a little unreliable, but that's life.

I think the othe guy that is probably facing the chop is Gordon, which is a shame as I really like him as a medium forward. :(

I can see us making minimal changes to our list. Pending salary cap, and trade requests, we might drop our 2 veterans outside the list, freeing up two more spots. With Moore, White and Gordon likely to be delisted, that gives us five spots, plus trade requests could bump that up to six. That gives us plenty of room to move with regard to trading for players, etc, and particularly for targeting free agents like Young. And if we dont need to use all of these spots, then we can keep the veterans on the primary list.

caj23
19th July 2012, 12:33 PM
Don't mind Young as a player but do we really need to trade in more depth?

Who would he replace in the 22 and would his inclusion be a significant upgrade?

If we can get in a quality A grade player to take us over the line (e.g Cloke or Reid) then go for it, but I think with the current state of our list we're better off drafting the best available young talent rather then bringing in B graders from other clubs (no disrepect to Young intended)

Industrial Fan
19th July 2012, 01:25 PM
Ricky Dyson would be the one I would pinch from the bummers.

Dont like the draft pick concession though - it really should come from the club that takes the player and be prescibed similar the father son system or even via the way concession picks were done so that a contrac tof x value means 1st round, etc.

Essentially as long as you agree to money terms with the player as I understand it wont cost you a pick.

Jewels
19th July 2012, 01:52 PM

My thoughts are Moore, Meredith and White from the senior list and from the rookies I reckon the axe must be dangling over Kruger and McNeil.

Mortons only been here the one season so far and has had a few injury problems so I can't see him going anywhere and wasn't Gordon only elevated at the end of last season? Can't imagine they'd promote him one year and delist him the next. Don't reckon The Spang will be going anywhere either, I get the feeling he's a very happy little vegemite here and with his injury history I can't see too many other clubs being interested in him anyway.

It worries the crap out of me that TDL will want out to get more senior game time elsewhere, he has so much talent and would be a great pick up.

Swansongster
19th July 2012, 02:13 PM
It worries the crap out of me that TDL will want out to get more senior game time elsewhere, he has so much talent and would be a great pick up.

Sad as it would be, TDL could be good trade bait. To Collingwood (who may on-trade him) with a draft pick for Reid, perhaps? TDL would be very useful to many clubs that are struggling. eg. Dees, Port, GWS, Gold Coast.

jono2707
19th July 2012, 02:21 PM
I think/hope we can fit TDL into our team longer term - I'd like to see him in there this weekend for that matter. He's heading in the right direction and I hope he wants to stay...

BillyRayCypress
19th July 2012, 02:50 PM
Sad as it would be, TDL could be good trade bait. To Collingwood (who may on-trade him) with a draft pick for Reid, perhaps? TDL would be very useful to many clubs that are struggling. eg. Dees, Port, GWS, Gold Coast.

I don't think GWS or GC are struggling for goal kickers.

Melbourne_Blood
19th July 2012, 03:24 PM
GC aren't exactly overflowing with go kickers are they? I reckon they'd take TDL in a heartbeat

Beerman
19th July 2012, 06:04 PM
I think the club would try very hard to hang on to TDL. We have shown that we are willing to play him, but are a good side and we have very, very few injuries. That makes it tough to break in at the moment. (I call it "Reverse 2009 Syndrome" )

He may look for more opportunities elsewhere, but I think he will get them at Sydney. It would only take a few injuries or retirements and he will be back in. Look at it this way - if we had an injury run like west coast we would certainly need him.

Jewels
19th July 2012, 07:20 PM
I think the club would try very hard to hang on to TDL. We have shown that we are willing to play him, but are a good side and we have very, very few injuries. That makes it tough to break in at the moment. (I call it "Reverse 2009 Syndrome" )

He may look for more opportunities elsewhere, but I think he will get them at Sydney. It would only take a few injuries or retirements and he will be back in. Look at it this way - if we had an injury run like west coast we would certainly need him.

I hope your right VB cause every time I see him running around in the ressies doing what he does, I think what a waste.
Having said that though, i don't know who's position he would take.