PDA

View Full Version : St Kilda match day thread

erica
22nd July 2012, 08:39 AM
It will be a cold day at the footy so we'll need to jump up and down to stay warm. Lots of dark rain clouds around. We'll win.

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 10:56 AM
No, it's not the best day up here in Sydney. Let's hope our wet weather demons have been fully exorcised.

swans_premiers
22nd July 2012, 12:30 PM
Only reason we lost last time is because i couldnt watch the game. Only other part of game ive missed is first quarter n a bit of richmond game.

If i watch= we play well.

Our recipe for success.

andyn
22nd July 2012, 01:44 PM
I'm in Vietnam waiting for a flight home, so gotta put up with radio coverage and a couple of apps. I hate listening to the Swans on radio - you never know where the ball is! I think I'm going to go sit in the hotel jacuzzi while it's on. These games are nervous ones simply because we should win. In calculations you'd almost give a game like west coast away, or even pies at home, but not the saints at home. Win this and we're a serious chance at top 2 following the pies loss yesterday.

ugg
22nd July 2012, 01:50 PM
Everitt and Dunell the subs

longmile
22nd July 2012, 01:54 PM
Sky is clearing and the sun is coming out but still a little bit chilly and windy. Should be slippery to start with I'd imagine

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:15 PM
Saints off to a quick start...

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:17 PM
50m penalty for what???

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:23 PM
Saints off to a very good start...

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:27 PM
They're well and truly switched on. Wake up Swans.

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 02:29 PM
Really awful game from swans so far. We are looking really fumbly and just a very poor forward line. And Milne has the potential to kick ten today.

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 02:30 PM
Really need goodes to step up here. He has been basically anonymous for a series of weeks and we need him now.

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:33 PM
Bad day for the yips...

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd July 2012, 02:34 PM
We won't finish top 2 if we lose this. Huge game and we look terrible, wake the @@@@ up guys!

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:35 PM
I think we're in trouble...

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:37 PM
God we needed that!

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 02:37 PM
We are really looking poor. Everything is going wrong but for a team to go in nine times for five goals it says that our so called vaunted defence is off and our midfield getting smashed.

And when they do our forwards getting outplayed.

Good goal then by mcveigh - a series of smart handballs

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd July 2012, 02:39 PM
The footy world finally takes us seriously and this is what we produce. Well, it was a nice ride.

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 02:41 PM
None of us were expecting that. Better improve quick-smart next quarter.

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 02:42 PM
Goodes anonymous. Our half forwards as usual when we are under pressure getting dragged too far up the ground. Lrt is not going to out mark his opponent and most of the balls are just coming back in too fast.

Cpt. Kirk
22nd July 2012, 02:43 PM
The footy world finally takes us seriously and this is what we produce. Well, it was a nice ride.

Agree mcglynn has had no polish at all wasting 3 easy opportunity's. I am not there but the effort looks lackluster and unswanslike hopefully we can start pegging back that lead.

Foreign Legion
22nd July 2012, 02:44 PM
Wow - that was a wasteful qtr. If McGlynn in particular, had converted better then we would be much closer.

LRT can't get away and all of our forwards are being tightly checked. We might need to kick a LOT of goals from 40-60 metres out to win today. I do think the wind favored the Saints end in that qtr - we need to use it in this one.

Pyke looking much more composed - 2 very good marks.

longmile
22nd July 2012, 02:46 PM
Probably the most frustrating quarter ever. McGlynn with three behinds had me raging. St Kilda defence seem to be all over our forward line. Can help but think we need a smart small in our forward line at the moment. TDL.

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 02:46 PM
None of us were expecting that. Better improve quick-smart next quarter.

Why weren't we ? They smashed us at etihad. West coast were smashed yesterday.

We are way ahead of ourselves at the moment. Roos is right if you are ten per cent off you can be a long way off.

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 02:53 PM
Jagged that one. Ugliest kick from Jetta. Worked out well

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 03:00 PM
I think this is the scoring end....the demolition work must be a distraction.

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 03:04 PM
Reid is an outstanding mark...just practice that goal kicking.

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 03:04 PM
In front at last.

longmile
22nd July 2012, 03:16 PM
We have double the amount of scoring shots then them and yet only ahead by 9 points! Hopefully we can solve the yips otherwise it might come back to haunt us.

longmile
22nd July 2012, 03:18 PM
In front at last.

One point at a time!

GongSwan
22nd July 2012, 03:19 PM
Well, a little more what I was expecting, but hope we can get some scoreboard pressure on, scoring end???????

basher williams
22nd July 2012, 03:21 PM

Halfway into the first quarter. THAT's what I call confidence

Panttz
22nd July 2012, 03:24 PM
Frustrating half for both sides I would of thought. Hope this poor kicking doesn't come back to bite us.
On a side note, is Lenny Hayes even playing today? He has been really quiet (thankfully)

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 03:25 PM
very good quarter everywhere except on scoreboard. didnt we win despite kicking poorly at anz last year ?

IrishSwanPerth
22nd July 2012, 03:26 PM
Lrt needs to lift, take a couple of marks inside 50, need to lower our heads when kicking into the 50

Foreign Legion
22nd July 2012, 03:29 PM
Reid is an outstanding mark...just practice that goal kicking.

THIS

A lot better conversion but still not great. We should all keep in mind that the Saints are not an ordinary side - we need to keep the pressure on for the whole 4 qtr's.

McVeigh, Kennedy and Richards were all great that term and Reid is starting to mark a few.

Foreign Legion
22nd July 2012, 03:33 PM
Mumford out for the game - Everitt on.

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd July 2012, 03:34 PM
What happened to Mummy?

Swans500
22nd July 2012, 03:37 PM
What are you talking about??????....

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 04:04 PM
Damn!

Swans500
22nd July 2012, 04:05 PM
commentators are SoooSaints....

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 04:05 PM
we are actually lucky to be in this game this quarter. midfield and defence just been terrible. in particular our complete inability to deliver the ball - someone just has to tell aj to send the ball long when in doubt.

Swans500
22nd July 2012, 04:06 PM
Didnt the commentators hate that?????

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 04:10 PM
Jetta magic!

Swans500
22nd July 2012, 04:12 PM
No=one can come to terms with the fact that The Swans are the real deal,,,sicken s me to my guts....

Swans500
22nd July 2012, 04:16 PM
Come on blokes FFS!!!!!

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 04:24 PM
i dont want to say it but we are just lucky at the moment. they have kicked five points in a row and we are looking out on our feet.

the forward line of goodes and reid is just getting smashed.

unless we lift now we are gawn

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 04:25 PM
i reckon this has been the worst 50 minutes of footy by us since richmond. we simply are not in this game.

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd July 2012, 04:27 PM
I've not got a good feeling :frown

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 04:28 PM
goodes should be brought out of the forward line. he just is not able to play key forward against decent defenders.

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 04:41 PM
Seriously what was that free for. We are just terrible coming out of defence.

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 04:43 PM
We have been really fumbly today. The pressure has been really tough but our skills poor. C'mon boys

Melbournehammer
22nd July 2012, 04:44 PM
Gee whiz Kieran jack has been good for us over the past few weeks

Swans500
22nd July 2012, 04:48 PM
Listen to the idiot saying it is not a reflection of the game...face it mongrels!!!!!

Swans500
22nd July 2012, 04:52 PM
5 goal win...lost Mumford...WELL done you blokes!!!!!!

GongSwan
22nd July 2012, 04:58 PM
I htought the Perth trip would be to our disadvantage in the end, but just shows how good our defense is really

longmile
22nd July 2012, 04:58 PM
Very strange game. We seemed to let them have control of the ball alot of the time and it was only in the last few minutes we seemed to wake up. Very fumbley and very frustrating commentary. However stoked with a win over the Saints.

Melbourne_Blood
22nd July 2012, 05:14 PM
Am I alone In thinking Mcglynn could use a run in the Magoos? He's been poor for a while and is getting very frustrated.

Donners
22nd July 2012, 05:20 PM
Am I alone In thinking Mcglynn could use a run in the Magoos? He's been poor for a while and is getting very frustrated.

I doubt you'd be alone, given that he's a perennial whipping boy, but I would certainly disagree. He had a number of shots at goal (unfortunately missing a few, but he's been pretty good with his goalkicking this season) and got a fair bit of the ball. Certainly had more impact than many others out there.

Panttz
22nd July 2012, 05:20 PM
It just seems like our forward line was really congested today and McGlynn certainly didnt do a hell of a lot of crumbing today that I noticed. We were lucky to walk away from that game with a 29 point win.
Hope Mummy is ok <3

aardvark
22nd July 2012, 05:22 PM
Typical Swans v Saints game and i'll take a 5 goal win against them any day. When lesser men fall by the wayside Josh Kennedy stands tall every week.
Thank goodness for Mike Pyke and LRT too.

Melbourne_Blood
22nd July 2012, 05:26 PM
I doubt you'd be alone, given that he's a perennial whipping boy, but I would certainly disagree. He had a number of shots at goal (unfortunately missing a few, but he's been pretty good with his goalkicking this season) and got a fair bit of the ball. Certainly had more impact than many others out there.

He did have a few shots, but his body language and some of his chasing efforts seemed a bit Un swans like to me.

R-1
22nd July 2012, 05:30 PM
Didn't see the match. Did Pyke have his best game for the club again today? Ho hum.

SwanFromWA
22nd July 2012, 05:31 PM
Well done swannies a win is a win thats all i can say,& yes i hope mummy is ok,we really need him.

bodgie
22nd July 2012, 05:49 PM
Horrible game of footy, seemed to be a lot of rolling mauls and the way the swans these days like to spread the ball with a series of close handballs had me thinking it resembled another code altogether. But a win is a always a good win.

31 hard at it
22nd July 2012, 06:00 PM
Tough hard game. Saints fighting for a finals spot - out of the top 8 tonight - so you know they threw everything at us and we came away with a solid 29 point win :)

Tough day at the office but we held up !

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 06:10 PM
What was impressive was the way they held their nerve and hit back hard at St. Kilda during the last quarter. Mumford's loss was handled with quite well.

Not much to like about that first quarter though - we got jumped.

Anyway, it's 7 wins in a row, the first time since 1996. How long will the streak last?

Melbourne_Blood
22nd July 2012, 06:18 PM
Didn't see the match. Did Pyke have his best game for the club again today? Ho hum.

He Was very good. Took at least three or four strong ( contested ?) marks. Held his own in the ruck even without Mummy in support. He's growing with every game. Best game? It would be up there

31 hard at it
22nd July 2012, 06:42 PM

He is credited with 38 hit outs and a fine effort.

Yuri H
22nd July 2012, 06:57 PM
1st quarter I was in despair; 2nd and 3rd I was biting my nails even as we pulled ahead; 4th quarter as the Saints pulled up to within 4 points at 25 minutes I thought "that's it, we're gonna blow this one" - and then oh me of little faith! Those last 5 minutes' blizzard of goals was beautiful. But yes, we played awfully nerve-wrackingly for too much of this game - we can't do that at this point. From here on every game is a final (well, OK, with apologies to our crosstown little brothers ... maybe not next week).

Dirtyburt
22nd July 2012, 07:11 PM
Poor poor effort, we were lucky to get away with that against an ordinary team with some good forwards. The most disappointing thing was our midfield fumbles and back line run.

Horse will smash them in the week

ash3
22nd July 2012, 07:15 PM
Maybe thats the loss we had to have without having a loss?

Xie Shan
22nd July 2012, 07:22 PM
Phew, what a relief! I found that game incredibly nerve wracking to watch and found it impossible to relax - was a pretty scrappy contest with lots of mistakes from both sides, honestly our surge in the last bit of the last quarter was really the difference, the Swans really lifted a gear in the middle when I was not sure if they had it in them. Kennedy back to his best and I don't think we could have done it without Jack. At half-time with Mumford injured I had almost marked this down as the loss we had to have after being up for six weeks, but Pyke stood up in the ruck (can hear Roosy pumping him up in my head as I type this!) and as a result we find ourselves back on top, but deservingly. Can really consolidate a top 4 spot over the next couple of weeks, and then comes the blockbuster against Collingwood. Can't wait!

(PS: I know we play a lot of night matches, but how good was it to have Sunday afternoon footy back at the SCG? I don't mind the occasional 4:30 starts, but day games still provide the better spectacle IMHO. The crowd was awesome today)

SCGonasunnyday
22nd July 2012, 07:36 PM
Maybe thats the loss we had to have without having a loss?

YES! I thought if we were going to lose any game, this would be a good one, keep the boys grounded and at least it wouldn't be against a fellow top 4 contender. But hopefully this serves the same purpose, plus we stay #1, get 4 points and sweet revenge against the Saints.

erica
22nd July 2012, 07:37 PM
Excellent result from our team, given that they weren't playing their best game. Didn't give up and kept playing. Four more points.

msb
22nd July 2012, 07:44 PM
Very relieved to get away with that one, saints kicked themselves out of it in the last. Still its 4 valuable points to consolidate top 4 with gold coast next week. As I've said in another thread I think a few players could do with a rest next week, just to freshen up.

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 07:45 PM
Essentially we reversed the result in Round 9, without Mumford for half the game. Not a bad result.

PerthSwannie
22nd July 2012, 08:20 PM
Jeeez...... I normally take my blood pressure tabs at night time but I had to reach for them early today when there was ten mins to go in that last Qtr.:adore

Wardy
22nd July 2012, 08:22 PM
Sure it wasn't pretty - but hey we still won and by 29 PTS - so lets rejoice in that and that we are still coming first! We should beat Gold coast next week and then Carlton the week after - how good is August 11th going to be against the pies??

ScottH
22nd July 2012, 08:23 PM
We looked really flat. Maybe last week took more out of them than we thought.

Jeffers1984
22nd July 2012, 08:27 PM
Goodes did the wrong thing and kicked to the wrong end when he won the toss. For some reason we seem to really have great games when we kick to the Randwick End first.

Cheer Squad
22nd July 2012, 08:30 PM

Fair comment.

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd July 2012, 08:48 PM
Embarking on a 30 hour trip to the US would have been even more annoying had we lost today, so thank you Sydney! Top spot with games against the Suns and Blues, then we're a huge chance to topple Collingwood for the first time in 7 years.

Hawthorn are really the major concern at the moment.

Dooloo
22nd July 2012, 08:49 PM

Bingo. How often do teams play flat football a week after travelling west. He y we won by 5 goals. lm certainly not complaining

liz
22nd July 2012, 08:51 PM

I spent the game thinking the same thing. Not only is the trip west known to take things out of a team, the top-of-the-table nature of last week's game probably meant there was a big emotional build up too. It was hard to believe that the fumbling midfield we saw today was the same group of players who were so slick last week. But to play that poorly and still win is a relief.

And while we can be thankful that the Saints missed so many opportunities in the second half, they were lucky to still be in the game at half-time, and that was down to how many we missed in the first half.

stellation
22nd July 2012, 09:03 PM
I thought the game was kind of fun to watch, I had a nice day. I'm impressed with how hard at it Malceski has been since coming back into the team, I was amazed by the wonder that is JPK and it's fun to call out "TEDDY!" with other members of the crowd whenever he goes near the ball. Hoorah!

I picked up a vege curry with flatbread from the ethiopian spot at the markets next door, that was nice too!

stellation
22nd July 2012, 09:04 PM
Embarking on a 30 hour trip to the US would have been even more annoying had we lost today, so thank you Sydney! Top spot with games against the Suns and Blues, then we're a huge chance to topple Collingwood for the first time in 7 years.

Hawthorn are really the major concern at the moment.
Have fun!

top40
22nd July 2012, 09:42 PM
Goodes did the wrong thing and kicked to the wrong end when he won the toss. For some reason we seem to really have great games when we kick to the Randwick End first.

The Randwick end is clearly the scoring end this season. Don't know why, but it just IS!

BillyRayCypress
22nd July 2012, 09:54 PM
The Randwick end is clearly the scoring end this season. Don't know why, but it just IS!

Builder's Workers Union has stipulated that they will only pick up 4 balls a qtr.

Captain
22nd July 2012, 10:00 PM
Awesome win.

Shame about Mummy but good to see LRT there to step up as 2nd ruck. Wonder how TDL would have gone playing 2nd ruck?

BillyRayCypress
22nd July 2012, 10:09 PM
I picked up a vege curry with flatbread from the ethiopian spot at the markets next door, that was nice too!

Much better than a flathead Ethiopian from the Vege Curry spot. Strange man that one was. :D

Well the classic commentary of the day had to go to our own "Air between my ears" Luff when at the start of the game he said " I don't know what they are doing starting Hannerbury off the bench".

To which the other two guys in unison said: "They always start him on the bench!!"

Luff: silence...pause.....then moved on.

Watching that last quarter was like watching a 15 foot putt as it left your Club and was heading towards the cup. First this way then that way.

It was frustrating watching the Swans kick outs in that last bit and everytime it came back. I thought we were gone several times.

Only a few years ago, there was always talk of teams losing after they came back from Perth. This year no one has really mentioned it, but I imagine that the physicality and emotion of last weeks game would have used up alot of energy.

Jetta certainly showed a bit of toughness about him today. Watch out West Coast cheer squad next time.

Very important win especially after Eddiewood and West Coast lost. They were saying it nearly guarrantees at top 4 finish. Maybe too early but atleast we're on the right side of the ledger.

Bring on the sun tan next week.

Primmy I hope the seats were to your approval and if Wardy was there, she didn't upset that Lady who sits to my left.

Its hard having to run the Cypress Junior AFL League especially when it clashes with Swans games.

Beerman
22nd July 2012, 10:18 PM
I thought McVeigh was fantastic, particularly in the first quarter when he seemed to be the only Swan concentrating and making an effort.

Don't under-rate the Saints. They have some issues (thankfully for us Goddard is in shocking form) but they are still a good side.

aardvark
22nd July 2012, 10:21 PM

I hope its as much fun on the way out as it was on the way in!

giant
22nd July 2012, 10:25 PM
Builder's Workers Union has stipulated that they will only pick up 4 balls a qtr.

Nice work. Actually, I think with the grand-stand down the wind must certainly have been providing some issues at that end today - certainly both teams struggled to kick goals down there.

Sandridge
22nd July 2012, 10:55 PM
Again we were challenged by a team with finals aspirations and again we triumphed. Not our best match for the year, sure, but a 5 goal win that put us back on top of the ladder and - even better - it was against St.Kilda!!!

Go Bloods!

BillyRayCypress
22nd July 2012, 11:24 PM
Nice work. Actually, I think with the grand-stand down the wind must certainly have been providing some issues at that end today

That and Stella after the curry :D

Now you know the real reason they were missing shots on goal !!!

barry
22nd July 2012, 11:26 PM
Good teams win the games that have to be won. This is what we did.

Saints fielded a full strength team, and gave it a real crack. We did enough after backing up from Perth to win. All good.

Time now to rest anyone not in top shape against the gold coast, before our tough run home.

Hope and pray Mummy is ok.

mcs
22nd July 2012, 11:59 PM
Result = excellent

Performance = not so excellent.

But at this time of the year, 4 points is all you need to keep collecting wherever possible, and that is what we did today. Job done, and whilst we are a long way off securing a top 2 spot, we are now very nicely placed to finish top 4, even with a very tough run in.

BillyRayCypress
23rd July 2012, 12:03 AM
Hope and pray Mummy is ok.

Unlike LRT last week, the injury wasn't to his head.

Sang Club song and looked in happy mood.

wolftone57
23rd July 2012, 04:35 AM
I thought our early inability to score kept them in it. When we finally got it together in the last 5 minutes it was sublime!!! Will Lenny go for the fist to the face?

I saw some things I liked and none of them have anything to do with the seniors. I saw some really great ruck work by a junior called Sam Naismith today and two players knew how to play to him, Lukie Parker & Tom Mitchell. WoW I would love this kid at 200cm plus and natural footballer to be drafted as a rookie!!! Both Lukie & Tom were having a ball because of the kid's ruck work!

I wasn't exactly over the moon with the performance of the Seniors today but it was ok given they had to come back from Perth last week! I am a bit worried about a mind set that says FLOOD if things are not going your way. In the end we didn't win by flooding we won by running the ball. So much of the last quarter was spent in their half because we had nobody to kick to if we got the ball because Longmire had them all flooding back!!! BAD OLD TACTIC JONNIE!!! GET RID OF IT!!!! When we spread and ran and had people forward of the ball we won the game!!!!

Wardy
23rd July 2012, 08:11 AM
Honestly I reckon you would pick the eyes out of us winning a grand final Wolfy!!! As I said before it wasn't pretty but we won it comfortably in the end - isn't that all that matters? Geez give the having a go at Longmire a break it is becoming very tiresome. He can't be doing too bad seeing as we are the top of the table.

AnnieH
23rd July 2012, 09:49 AM
Heart attack footy at its best.
Winners.
Top of the ladder.
That's the main thing.

Joey's got to be a hot contender for the Brownlow.

CJK
23rd July 2012, 10:14 AM
How good were those Italian beers at the Taphouse? Fantastic.

Game was a bit of a blur though.

Mr Magoo
23rd July 2012, 10:45 AM
Great effort against a full strength team that arent all that bad.

We didnt look as clean as last week but funnily enough I felt at the ground that we were always on top after the first quarter burst. Even though Saints stayed in touch (mostly due to our bad kicking early) we always had an extra gear . The tv coverage seemed much more focused on how unlucky the saints were but at the game i thought that after quarter time they were lucky to actualy be so close as to threaten. They may have had a lot of inside fities but they were useless inside fifties and having loose players along half back may have allowed them to get it in but it didnt help them score.

Our last few minutes was reminiscent of when we used to play Geelong a few years back when they were at their best and we would stay in touch and then all of a sudden we were down by thirty points. Wonderful effort after a tough week with the road trip. Considering that arguably our best player is not back in form yet we still have upside and we are still on top. Go swans

Doctor
23rd July 2012, 10:47 AM
Phew, what a relief! I found that game incredibly nerve wracking to watch and found it impossible to relax - was a pretty scrappy contest with lots of mistakes from both sides, honestly our surge in the last bit of the last quarter was really the difference, the Swans really lifted a gear in the middle when I was not sure if they had it in them. Kennedy back to his best and I don't think we could have done it without Jack. At half-time with Mumford injured I had almost marked this down as the loss we had to have after being up for six weeks, but Pyke stood up in the ruck (can hear Roosy pumping him up in my head as I type this!) and as a result we find ourselves back on top, but deservingly. Can really consolidate a top 4 spot over the next couple of weeks, and then comes the blockbuster against Collingwood. Can't wait!

(PS: I know we play a lot of night matches, but how good was it to have Sunday afternoon footy back at the SCG? I don't mind the occasional 4:30 starts, but day games still provide the better spectacle IMHO. The crowd was awesome today)

Great post, about the game and the crowd. I was really happy to see such a big crowd there yesterday even with the slightly iffy weather. Well done to the supporters for getting out there.

Primmy
23rd July 2012, 11:08 AM
Go Wardy!!!

Kind of knew we would win. Kind of knew it would not be easy as the boys had a lot of positive publicity and it and it can mess with your mind; not only that it highlighted our best players and they were teamed against big time. It had to be a game to show to themselves, and to the public, that they CAN win ugly as well as pretty and that they CAN slog it out if need be and not give up.

True bloods.

AND, AND!! Thank heavens for LRT. We are lucky to have him.

DamY
23rd July 2012, 11:13 AM
I'd have to agree, LRT had a really good game. I was praying when he was taking that set shot and I promised God that if he got the goal I would switch allegiances and be a LRT lover and I am now hereby converted. Go the Viking!!

caj23
23rd July 2012, 11:22 AM
Awesome win.

Shame about Mummy but good to see LRT there to step up as 2nd ruck. Wonder how TDL would have gone playing 2nd ruck?

If you call 2 posessions and 3 hitouts after half time stepping up. I'm pretty confident that our super sub Everitt could have had a similar impact, after all he is in the team for his versatility.

Otherwise Sam Reid or Teddy Richards (with AJ taking a key back position) could also have performed the same role

aardvark
23rd July 2012, 11:53 AM
Otherwise Sam Reid or Teddy Richards (with AJ taking a key back position) could also have performed the same role

AJ V Kosi in the square with St Kilda bombarding the goals. Hmmm can't see a problem there really!

mcs
23rd July 2012, 12:31 PM
Great effort against a full strength team that arent all that bad.

We didnt look as clean as last week but funnily enough I felt at the ground that we were always on top after the first quarter burst. Even though Saints stayed in touch (mostly due to our bad kicking early) we always had an extra gear . The tv coverage seemed much more focused on how unlucky the saints were but at the game i thought that after quarter time they were lucky to actualy be so close as to threaten. They may have had a lot of inside fities but they were useless inside fifties and having loose players along half back may have allowed them to get it in but it didnt help them score.

Our last few minutes was reminiscent of when we used to play Geelong a few years back when they were at their best and we would stay in touch and then all of a sudden we were down by thirty points. Wonderful effort after a tough week with the road trip. Considering that arguably our best player is not back in form yet we still have upside and we are still on top. Go swans

If you read and listen to the media today, you'd think St Kilda dominated all the game and we were lucky to win, let alone by 30. But after quarter time, with the exception of the start of the 4th, I thought we were comfortably on top, and had the boys bought the kicking boots along, it would have been a very comfortable margin.

Your Geelong comment at the end is what I thought too. When the game was there to be won, we found an extra gear and blew them away. The other thing I loved from that was the stoppage goal from Jack. I said to Mum next to me, we need to get a goal from this stoppage and we will win. And like clockwork, up popped Kieran Jack (on that note, he is going to be so important to us come finals time!) to kick that great snap. That was a great ability of the 05-06 team, and if we can continue to get more than our fair share of goals from stoppages over the rest of the year, then we will go deep into September.

Swansongster
23rd July 2012, 01:33 PM
Not as impressive as Hawthorn on Saturday but I think we have everyone else covered.

I'd back us at our best against the Hawks too but we will have to be a bit tighter in our marking when that game comes around. They are just so efficient in creating uncontested marks.

That was a pretty good effort by our boys to beat a desperate Saints after coming back from Perth.

I would never want his personality in our team but that sniper Milne is a good small forward. If he didn't go missing (i.e. get tagged out by Smiffy) in the middle two quarters it could have been a different result.

I guess it shows what value TDL could bring to our line-up (but who do we leave out?).

Hartijon
23rd July 2012, 01:46 PM
The sub situation emerges again as Everitt will need a game under his belt soon. I actually thought he had a wonderful opportunity to seal the match for a second time in 3 weeks as he was way too tall for his opponent but he dropped a very gettable mark pretty much in front of goal and certainly within his range.Thats why he needs a full game; to keep his skills up to scratch. Why not give TDL a run next week in the A's and Everitt in the B's?

Captain
23rd July 2012, 02:40 PM
If you call 2 posessions and 3 hitouts after half time stepping up. I'm pretty confident that our super sub Everitt could have had a similar impact, after all he is in the team for his versatility.

You're kidding?

liz
23rd July 2012, 02:45 PM
If you read and listen to the media today, you'd think St Kilda dominated all the game and we were lucky to win, let alone by 30. But after quarter time, with the exception of the start of the 4th, I thought we were comfortably on top, and had the boys bought the kicking boots along, it would have been a very comfortable margin.

Your Geelong comment at the end is what I thought too. When the game was there to be won, we found an extra gear and blew them away. The other thing I loved from that was the stoppage goal from Jack. I said to Mum next to me, we need to get a goal from this stoppage and we will win. And like clockwork, up popped Kieran Jack (on that note, he is going to be so important to us come finals time!) to kick that great snap. That was a great ability of the 05-06 team, and if we can continue to get more than our fair share of goals from stoppages over the rest of the year, then we will go deep into September.

I find the spin that opposition coaches have put on losses to us quite interesting.

Brad Scott seemed confused in his presser after our game against the Roos, claiming that they had "won" most of their key performance indicators yet were never really in the game. (Lately I've heard him refer to the game as one they could have won if not for inaccurate kicking for goal.)

Chris Scott claimed his team dominated three quarters and hence were unlucky not to win. (Strange that, because in the game I watched, the middle two quarters were arm wrestles, with both teams struggling to score.)

And now Watters also reckons they dominated for three quarters and it was only their poor conversion that cost them the game. Conveniently ignoring the fact that if the Swans had converted their chances in the first half, the game would have been over by the main break. Even the Saints first quarter "domination" was really only on the scoreboard. We had more scoring shots than them, and they weren't just scrappy rushed behinds - there were some genuinely easy scoring opportunities missed. Even in the final quarter, it felt like it was the Swans' poor disposal and decision making that mostly contributed towards the number of I50s that the Saints had. We were still pretty solid winning the contested ball.

James Hird's excuse - that Sydney didn't play like Sydney - is probably my favourite spin.

Swansinger
23rd July 2012, 03:04 PM
I find the spin that opposition coaches have put on losses to us quite interesting.

.................................................. .......
And now Watters also reckons they dominated for three quarters and it was only their poor conversion that cost them the game. Conveniently ignoring the fact that if the Swans had converted their chances in the first half, the game would have been over by the main break. .

Spot on !

Opposition coaches ( and the media ) can spin it all they like : it helps when the focus is off us. May that continue - right up to the siren , around 5 o'clock on 29th September.

aardvark
23rd July 2012, 03:17 PM
They're just looking after their jobs, like the pollies they reckon we'll believe anything.

BillyRayCypress
23rd July 2012, 03:36 PM
They're just looking after their jobs, like the pollies they reckon we'll believe anything.

I think that is called a "Sheedyism"

caj23
23rd July 2012, 03:37 PM
You're kidding?

You don't believe that Everitt could have mustered up 3 hitouts and 2 possessions in the ruck in a half of football??

Dirtyburt
23rd July 2012, 04:06 PM
You don't believe that Everitt could have mustered up 3 hitouts and 2 possessions in the ruck in a half of football??

Sometimes in life, it is best to either admit your wrong, or at the very least move on. Constantly arguing a point ad nauseam with a failure to recognize and admit a mistake is somewhat tedious. You end up making yourself look very silly.

mcs
23rd July 2012, 04:18 PM
Spot on !

Opposition coaches ( and the media ) can spin it all they like : it helps when the focus is off us. May that continue - right up to the siren , around 5 o'clock on 29th September.

It is almost like opposition coaches are like the media - consistently under rating our team, and hence have to come up with silly excuses when we beat them.

But I completely agree with your last sentence SS - they can keep it up all they want! However, I expect the key coaches in the competition, especially Clarkson (who has seen what a red hot Swans performance can do to his team) are not quite as silly as some of the other coaches out there. We will have to find several more gears come the finals to be genuine contenders, but with each passing week my confidence grows just a bit more that we will stand up to be counted when it matters.

# Believe - Bloods 2012!

Industrial Fan
23rd July 2012, 05:05 PM
You don't believe that Everitt could have mustered up 3 hitouts and 2 possessions in the ruck in a half of football??He only managed two disposals without the responsibility of the ruck, so probably not, no.

jono2707
23rd July 2012, 05:15 PM

Pretty much sums up the Melbourne AFL media and some of the rubbish they spout forth. And unfortunately a lot of prople fall for it - like the Saints guy in front of me yesterday bellyaching the 'Goodsey's a dirty player' line....

The good thing about watching our Swans doing so well is that it really does expose those media people who have built a career on saying not much of any real note - when a team from out of town jumps up and surprises everyone, we suddenly see who the smart commentators are who really watch and analyse the game with some degree of intelligence....

Dirtyburt
23rd July 2012, 05:47 PM
Not as impressive as Hawthorn on Saturday but I think we have everyone else covered.

I'd back us at our best against the Hawks too but we will have to be a bit tighter in our marking when that game comes around. They are just so efficient in creating uncontested marks.

That was a pretty good effort by our boys to beat a desperate Saints after coming back from Perth.

I would never want his personality in our team but that sniper Milne is a good small forward. If he didn't go missing (i.e. get tagged out by Smiffy) in the middle two quarters it could have been a different result.

I guess it shows what value TDL could bring to our line-up (but who do we leave out?).
Love or hate Milney, he is pretty much universally accepted, as if not 'the' best small forward, certainly in the top half dozen ever to have played. TDL has done nothing to suggest he is anywhere close to as good as Milne.

I find the obsession with 'any' small forward confounding. Especially in a team that is consistently winning and kicking good scores.

aardvark
23rd July 2012, 06:14 PM
Saints whinging about not taking their chances or they would have won. Just like the 3 grand finals they lost where they didn't take their chances.

Here's Watters presser if anyones interested....http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/142261/default.aspx

jono2707
23rd July 2012, 06:16 PM
Love or hate Milney, he is pretty much universally accepted, as if not 'the' best small forward, certainly in the top half dozen ever to have played. TDL has done nothing to suggest he is anywhere close to as good as Milne.

I find the obsession with 'any' small forward confounding. Especially in a team that is consistently winning and kicking good scores.

Well said. Although I'm a fan of TDL, we have a potent midfield who are pretty much all goalkickers which renders a 'small forward' (whatever that is anyway) not so necessary at the moment, although I would categorise Benny McGlynn as a forward, and he is quite small.

Dirtyburt
23rd July 2012, 06:19 PM
Well said. Although I'm a fan of TDL, we have a potent midfield who are pretty much all goalkickers which renders a 'small forward' (whatever that is anyway) not so necessary at the moment, although I would categorise Benny McGlynn as a forward, and he is quite small.

I also rate TDL, there just is not a Spot for him in our best 22 ATM.

GongSwan
23rd July 2012, 06:41 PM

And Benny spends less time in the midfield than most of the others

supersall
23rd July 2012, 06:58 PM
I'd take TDL over Everitt any day. He's not up to scratch. A great 30 seconds every 3 or 4 weeks is just not enough

wolftone57
23rd July 2012, 07:10 PM

Fantastic tap from Pyke too!

wolftone57
23rd July 2012, 07:15 PM
I think the big Canadian was very good yesterday. He did everything asked of him and in the last half more. I think his tap work was excellent and in the last 5 minutes he was fantastic and time and time again got the taps down to advantage. I hope Mummy is alright! If people wanted an example of why we need two top notch ruckmen yesterday gave the perfect grounding. First half we were absolutely blowing them away in the ruck and in the second half we only won the ruck when Pykie was rucking. Mummy was wonderful until he went off. I love having two great ruckmen. They are the best combo in the comp at the moment, forget cox and NicNat!

DA_Swan
23rd July 2012, 10:43 PM
For those that went to the game, any reason why there was so much fumbling, good players were fumbling - hope Goodes finds his touch soon !!!

Primmy
24th July 2012, 10:27 AM
For those that went to the game, any reason why there was so much fumbling, good players were fumbling - hope Goodes finds his touch soon !!!No none. So, it looks like my theory of "can they keep winning with the unusual amount of media coverage being added to the pressure of still winning each week" may have grown some legs. They are not seasoned to it like other states, our news people pretty much ignore their existence except when they play a grand final. So I think it was added "great expectation" pressure from within. Not so good at playing above their shoulders at present, until some of the older guard stood up. they can all play very well, but some of the decision making became panicky and perceived pressure played a hand.

It will be interesting to see how things play out at GCS, and then eventually the biggie, can we stand tall against the stipes.

Dirtyburt
24th July 2012, 10:32 AM
No none. So, it looks like my theory of "can they keep winning with the unusual amount of media coverage being added to the pressure of still winning each week" may have grown some legs. They are not seasoned to it like other states, our news people pretty much ignore their existence except when they play a grand final. So I think it was added "great expectation" pressure from within. Not so good at playing above their shoulders at present, until some of the older guard stood up. they can all play very well, but some of the decision making became panicky and perceived pressure played a hand.

It will be interesting to see how things play out at GCS, and then eventually the biggie, can we stand tall against the stipes.
Nah, can't be slick every week, just not realistic. Combination of factors, st kilda presure was better, smaller ground less space to run/handball, we were not as slick. All the 'expectation' stuff is external the club won't be buying into it

Go Swannies
24th July 2012, 10:37 AM
Also they were back from WA and playing a team that put a lot of pressure on and had a lot to play for. It was also pretty gusty windy so the poor kicking for goal by both sides (except despised but brilliant Milne) was understandable.

DamY
24th July 2012, 11:08 AM
For those that went to the game, any reason why there was so much fumbling, good players were fumbling - hope Goodes finds his touch soon !!!

It was pretty dewy, you saw the number of people that slipped and fell over during the game. Sure the ball was just as slippery as well. I guess you could compare that to the Western Bulldogs game where we did look a lot slicker. *shrugs*

erica
24th July 2012, 11:49 AM
Probably because the players are not programmable robots but are human and thus subject to making mistakes. Or maybe they just wanted to let the saints think they had a chance before they crushed them.

Primmy
24th July 2012, 03:19 PM
I like your style Erica.

And may I say, you signature pretty much describes Sunday's game. (clap)

wolftone57
24th July 2012, 04:25 PM
It was pretty dewy, you saw the number of people that slipped and fell over during the game. Sure the ball was just as slippery as well. I guess you could compare that to the Western Bulldogs game where we did look a lot slicker. *shrugs*

I was talking to a member who told me it is the grasses they use in the surface. He says that years ago when they used Cooch and Kikuyu the thought was that the stops used to get gaught in the runners and cause injury. They changed to a multi combination grass that is softer with no runner but the problem is that it stays moister longer and causes players to slip.

Nico
24th July 2012, 04:52 PM
I watched the game from far away places and thought it was a very gutsy win. We knew the Saints had a lot at stake and they played accordingly. That last 4.10 minutes on the clock was outstanding.

Nico
24th July 2012, 05:08 PM
What a great game by Malceski. He has restored my faith with regards to his toughness.

Must say I downed a few nervous stubbies in the tense last quarter.

wolftone57
24th July 2012, 05:24 PM
I thought the major problem, other than a bit of tiredness after the Perth trip, was kicking. Our delivery and goal kicking sucked for most of the game. For most of the season we have been pretty good to wonderful in these departments. Just moments that come to mind, AJ out on the full was the worst kick in years, the kicking down the members wingto a pack for nearly 10 minutes at one stage was just frustrating. It was bomb and hope as though it was all too hard. That could have been due to the Perth trip tiredness or it could have been part of the plan, if so it didn't work.

There were moments of brilliance, the last 5 minutes, second quarter where we should have buried them if not for wayward kicking for goal. It was a hard fought win but I don't believe this Saints side a real top eight side. Definitely not top four. They are a fringe eight side and that is all. They get teams to play at their level and scrag, scrimmage and hold on all the time.

I was a bit peeved in the last quarter to see the full defensive press used. That is nobody at all in our forward half for much of the first half of the last quarter. It was painful as we couldn't get the ball much past half way and if we did it came back again as we had nobody to take it. That is a part of our game I thought gone but maybe not, DAMN!!!

SwansFan1972
25th July 2012, 12:13 AM

Yep - plenty of reasons . . .

Sun was in and out all day, along with two (maybe more) showers. Temperature was all over the place too - with sun out felt like ten degrees warmer! Wind was all over the place - was breezy then still, then back again all afternoon. The bomb site at the Paddo end was clearly affecting ALL players kicking to that end and was certainly not limited to the swans players struggling to convert down that end. Our six straight points in the first quarter were matched by the Saints doing the same in the last quarter. We remarked to each other on arriving what a different feel the ground had with the stand pretty much entirely smashed up compared to even a few short weeks ago. There was some big piece of ducting hanging behind the goals that looked like it was ready to drop. It was distracting to us in the O'Reilly concourse, so who knows what effect it had on the players!!!!

I seem to recall that accuracy was a problem at the MCG a few seasons back when the old Northern and Olympic stands had been torn down and looked much like the SCG does at the moment. Maybe there is a 'missing grandstand effect' - taking away the familiar spots that players aim at could be messing with their heads! :)

Probably was just one of those days and in the final wash up our boys handled it better than theirs. They've been handling pretty much everything (with a few exceptions) better than other teams all year too, as evidenced by games won and ladder position. Milne kept them in it. Kleenex was his usual inaccurate self (probably Kosi's fault for belting him - again) but he should be used to that by now! Umpires had their usual few howlers, but at least we got some of them - the second bite of the cherry to Reg was one of the softest frees in years, but hey, we'll take those if the three blind mice are going to hand them out. Both frees involving Goodes were a joke too - he slipped and got smashed under a bloke but gave away a free (still no-one knows what for) then he copped the cheapest of cheap shots getting belted in the back at the end of the third quarter, but they got a free in the middle before play restarted.

Top win - winning ugly when needed is priceless.

Primmy
25th July 2012, 10:23 AM
With the inappropriate frees being given against goodsey all the time, does that mean he is the new Barry Hall?

stellation
25th July 2012, 11:04 AM
What a great game by Malceski. He has restored my faith with regards to his toughness.

I'm with you there, Nico. I've almost become a broken record on it since Nick came back into the seniors, purely because it's just shocked me- at the game on the weekend I was surprised at just how much of a change there's been with how hard he goes at it, he was getting across to spoil/going hard at the ball/trying to burst through guys instead or circling around more on to his boot. Good on him.

Go Swannies
25th July 2012, 11:36 AM
Me too re Mal - he's certainly doing everything on the defending side of his game with tackles and blocks. Even better, he seems to now realise his limitations so doesn't get caught with the ball or being rushed into a bad decision any more - the things that drove me mad earlier this season. I was watching him on the weekend and remembering what a great player he was for us before his knee issues.

Mr Magoo
25th July 2012, 03:04 PM
Yep - plenty of reasons . . .

Sun was in and out all day, along with two (maybe more) showers. Temperature was all over the place too - with sun out felt like ten degrees warmer! Wind was all over the place - was breezy then still, then back again all afternoon. The bomb site at the Paddo end was clearly affecting ALL players kicking to that end and was certainly not limited to the swans players struggling to convert down that end. Our six straight points in the first quarter were matched by the Saints doing the same in the last quarter. We remarked to each other on arriving what a different feel the ground had with the stand pretty much entirely smashed up compared to even a few short weeks ago. There was some big piece of ducting hanging behind the goals that looked like it was ready to drop. It was distracting to us in the O'Reilly concourse, so who knows what effect it had on the players!!!!

I seem to recall that accuracy was a problem at the MCG a few seasons back when the old Northern and Olympic stands had been torn down and looked much like the SCG does at the moment. Maybe there is a 'missing grandstand effect' - taking away the familiar spots that players aim at could be messing with their heads! :)

Probably was just one of those days and in the final wash up our boys handled it better than theirs. They've been handling pretty much everything (with a few exceptions) better than other teams all year too, as evidenced by games won and ladder position. Milne kept them in it. Kleenex was his usual inaccurate self (probably Kosi's fault for belting him - again) but he should be used to that by now! Umpires had their usual few howlers, but at least we got some of them - the second bite of the cherry to Reg was one of the softest frees in years, but hey, we'll take those if the three blind mice are going to hand them out. Both frees involving Goodes were a joke too - he slipped and got smashed under a bloke but gave away a free (still no-one knows what for) then he copped the cheapest of cheap shots getting belted in the back at the end of the third quarter, but they got a free in the middle before play restarted.

Top win - winning ugly when needed is priceless.

Funny what you say about the ugliness of the stand (or whats left of it) . I went down onto the ground for kick to kick and it was amazing how distracting that demolition work is at that end. In fact it may get worse once its down as the white of the football stadium next door almost blends in with the posts on the right facing side. Definitely was a factor for players missing at that end.

wolftone57
25th July 2012, 03:32 PM
Funny what you say about the ugliness of the stand (or whats left of it) . I went down onto the ground for kick to kick and it was amazing how distracting that demolition work is at that end. In fact it may get worse once its down as the white of the football stadium next door almost blends in with the posts on the right facing side. Definitely was a factor for players missing at that end.

Agree with the fact it was distracting but our kicking didn't improve in the second going to the Randwick end. We kicked 6 points in the first and 7 in the second the only difference being we kicked 4 goals in the second compared to 1 in the first. In fact we kicked 4 goals without a miss in the third to the rubble end and 6.2 in the last to the Randwick end. It is distracting and I'm sure it is not just kicking at goal that is effected. I thought some of the field kicking in the first quarter was woeful. Especially to the lead in the forward line

wolftone57
25th July 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm with you there, Nico. I've almost become a broken record on it since Nick came back into the seniors, purely because it's just shocked me- at the game on the weekend I was surprised at just how much of a change there's been with how hard he goes at it, he was getting across to spoil/going hard at the ball/trying to burst through guys instead or circling around more on to his boot. Good on him.

I agree Stel a few weeks in the Two's sometimes does a player wonders it gives them a new passion for the game. You take Teddy in 2010 when he came back he was the best and still is to this day.

SwansFan1972
25th July 2012, 10:49 PM
Agree with the fact it was distracting but our kicking didn't improve in the second going to the Randwick end. We kicked 6 points in the first and 7 in the second the only difference being we kicked 4 goals in the second compared to 1 in the first. In fact we kicked 4 goals without a miss in the third to the rubble end and 6.2 in the last to the Randwick end. It is distracting and I'm sure it is not just kicking at goal that is effected. I thought some of the field kicking in the first quarter was woeful. Especially to the lead in the forward line

You are right - kicking in general was pretty poor all day! Maybe the invisible effect of the missing stand (i.e. the new wind dynamic at the ground) was causing the most problems?

Whatever the cause, after the start the Swans had, would've been a brave person to bet that the Saints would finish with more behinds in their final score! :)

DamY
26th July 2012, 09:02 AM
Yah we had the yips in the first quarter, took the captains and leaders to stand up and turn that around. I knew Sam wouldn't get that goal, it was a lot of pressure on him. Was also pretty surprised McGlynn didn't get his through either but oh well.

Primmy
26th July 2012, 10:36 AM
Just have to mention the fact that we have both Davo and Crouchy running for us at present. And it is such a contrast. Davo is fighting fit and looks b etter than he ever did while playing for the bloods. Crouchy can still move like mad, but.....there is somewhat more of him than during his playing days. Just observing the contrasts, not criticising (I mean, its not like I am ever going to run around the footy ground myself so how dare I, I am just saying......).

Davo surely must be a steading influence for the goal kickers. thoughts?

jono2707
26th July 2012, 10:47 AM
Crouchy said on the Big Sports Breakfast this morning that he has 2 x calf strains - old man's injury he called it. I guess we should give the guy a bit of slack - he was super-fit when he played and would have worked darn hard on it for a number of years. Hope those Libba scratches have healed up by now too..... I reckon he'd instill a bit of mongrel in the boys when he's out there with them.

And I agree that Davo must have had a good influence on the boys' goalkicking - seems like we've improved this year and I'm sure last week was just a bit of an aberration...