PDA

View Full Version : Sheeds Reckons we are the only side capable of tackling the Hawks

wolftone57
30th July 2012, 05:01 PM
Interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Swans only flag challenger to Hawks: Sheedy (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-only-flag-challenger-to-hawks-sheedy-20120729-236i0.html)

He also says to beat them we still have to improve. After seeing them play the last few weeks I tend to agree with him. We are the second best side in the comp at the moment as far as the way we are playing. They are awesome at this time and will be very hard to beat. I think we have improvement to do and will improve as the season goes on. As we get players back from injury and they settle back, like Lukie, Mummy & Sammy we will be a far better side. Come finals time we will improve because we have to! That is the Bloods Ethic!!!

barry
30th July 2012, 05:09 PM
I think for us to "lift" to hot favourites, someones got to come up from the 2's and play a few blinders.

TDL, Jesse - tried to many times.
Spranger - maybe, if he can get fit.
Mitch Morton .... I think he's the one.

wolftone57
30th July 2012, 05:24 PM
Barry I think Mitch is due for a blinder in the top level. I saw him play against Belconnen Magpies and he was starting to look pretty good especially in the last half. He was just returning from injury and was a little rusty in the first half but in the second he was magic and this week he has continued right on. I think he is due for a huge one and I'd like it to be in our Seniors team!!

Cheer Squad
30th July 2012, 05:30 PM
I hope he's right.

I recall him saying something similar back in 2005, after we'd just beaten Essendon in Melbourne for the first time since the late 1980s.

Did you notice his sly dig at the SCG when referring to us playing Hawthorn - ''It'd be nice to get them on a ground where everybody would be able to see it". Classic Sheedy. :rolleyes:

swans32
30th July 2012, 06:20 PM
My thoughts on Morton are that our reserves play in a comp that is probably ten times below AFL standard and makes it impossible to show true form and from all reports his defencive work is still not up to scratch to be a good AFL player you must be prepared to work both ways

wolftone57
30th July 2012, 06:26 PM
My thoughts on Morton are that our reserves play in a comp that is probably ten times below AFL standard and makes it impossible to show true form and from all reports his defencive work is still not up to scratch to be a good AFL player you must be prepared to work both ways

I have been to all the games played before the Seniors this year and I think his defensive pressure has improved dramatically. Reports are just that the opinion of the person posting. Most agree though that he has improved in that area. The team played were the Gold Coast Suns and they had a full contention of players most of whom have played at AFL level. So the point about the 'ten times below AFL standard' doesn't hold. If the Suns reserves were that bad the Seniors would have beaten their Seniors by at least 200 points. Their reserves are very good side and would be the match of any SANFL, VFL or WAFL side and so would our Two's with all listed players playing.

supersall
30th July 2012, 06:51 PM
Kiss of death

msb
30th July 2012, 07:03 PM
I think for us to "lift" to hot favourites, someones got to come up from the 2's and play a few blinders.

TDL, Jesse - tried to many times.
Spranger - maybe, if he can get fit.
Mitch Morton .... I think he's the one.

I agree, its time he was given a go. Reid is out for a few weeks so bring him in and see what he can do. He has proven in the past with the tiges that he can play blinders so im all for giving him a go. As far as us being the only challenger to the hawks, may be true but does anyone really think that we can beat them on the G?? As much as id want to believe it I just couldnt see it, their form there has been just awesome (except against the tigers) and ours, well need I say more? Still id love for the opportunity to play them in a GF.

BSA5
30th July 2012, 07:17 PM
Did you notice his sly dig at the SCG when referring to us playing Hawthorn - ''It'd be nice to get them on a ground where everybody would be able to see it". Classic Sheedy. :rolleyes:

I took that as a sly dig at Aurora stadium, where we last played, and beat, them.

DamY
30th July 2012, 08:25 PM
Hawthorn scare the hell out of me. They really carved Essendon up

bloodsbigot
30th July 2012, 08:28 PM
Since when do we care what Kevin Sheedy thinks, anyway?

Xie Shan
30th July 2012, 11:43 PM
''They've got to get better, but they've been very, very good and they're always a chance,'' he said.

I pretty much agree with Sheeds. As good as the Swans have been this year it's not going to get any easier.

Bloody Hell
31st July 2012, 12:15 AM
I've thought this since they've been installed as flag favorites.

The thing that makes them outstanding is their effectiveness and efficency with the ball. Our gameplan is based on creating a massive amount of pressure which effects their strength massively.

If I'm not mistaken they were flag favorites before we played them earlier in the year. I think we will beat them, particularly considering it's at the SCG.

bloodsbigot
31st July 2012, 01:57 AM
I've thought this since they've been installed as flag favorites.

The thing that makes them outstanding is their effectiveness and efficency with the ball. Our gameplan is based on creating a massive amount of pressure which effects their strength massively.

If I'm not mistaken they were flag favorites before we played them earlier in the year. I think we will beat them, particularly considering it's at the SCG.

We'll beat them (Hawks).

Deep down Hawks supporters are scared of us. They know what the swans are capable of. I remember when they couldn't beat us for a loooong time. I think that mindset still exists in a lot of them. Over at bigfooty, it seems that anywhere the swans are mentioned there seems to be hawks supporters appearing/posting everywhere downplaying us (With traces of respect). You get no such thing from Collingwood supporters (A team that truly has the right to be arrogant given recent records) as they just make a short condescending post and we don't hear from them again.

Thunder Shaker
31st July 2012, 10:51 AM
The Cats are the Hawks' bogey side. Geelong has not lost to Hawthorn since the 2008 Grand Final (8 matches). The two sides meet this Friday night. We will gauge Hawthorn by how well they handle this match against their nemesis.

Matimbo
31st July 2012, 02:50 PM
I think Hawks are the real deal and I expect them to beat Cats this week comfortably. I'm also very nervous about playing them in a few weeks. Not sure our pressuring will be enough this time around compared with Tassie game - they have improved out of sight. I would have liked the article to actually say how Sheedy thinks we can beat them, it had no real detail. Then again, maybe better he didn't say this publicly - but can he do us a favour and have a chat with Horse.

barry
31st July 2012, 02:53 PM
At the SCG, we will easily account for the hawks. Lack of space and time will soon put an end to their efficient ball use.

magic.merkin
31st July 2012, 03:02 PM
At the SCG, we will easily account for the hawks. Lack of space and time will soon put an end to their efficient ball use.

Or if we are bit off, their accurate long left kicks will open us up like the Titanic.

Cheer Squad
31st July 2012, 04:14 PM

You must not have been at the SCG in Round 9 last year.

ShockOfHair
31st July 2012, 07:10 PM
Sheeds is more interested in sticking it to the Hawks and Pies and distracting from the Giants' woes than being taken seriously as a pundit.