PDA

View Full Version : Australia's Most Popular Football Club

Adelaide Swan
1st August 2012, 09:14 AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/swans-flying-higher-than-magpies/story-e6frexx0-1226439739561

MOVE over Collingwood, the Swans are the most popular football club in Australia.

Often ignored or underrated in Melbourne's AFL maelstrom, the AFL regards the Swans as one of the pivotal clubs in the national competition.

AFL acting chief executive Gill McLachlan pointed to Roy Morgan research which highlighted the Swans as the only club with more than one million supporters.

Doctor
1st August 2012, 09:54 AM
While I love reports like this cos they wind Collingwood supporters up, you'd have to be realistic and note that a lot of those million supporters are "passive". They don't know much about the game but they're from Sydney so they barrack for us.

BSA5
1st August 2012, 10:13 AM
While I love reports like this cos they wind Collingwood supporters up, you'd have to be realistic and note that a lot of those million supporters are "passive". They don't know much about the game but they're from Sydney so they barrack for us.

This. Fun to read though!

BillyRayCypress
1st August 2012, 10:21 AM
Then GWS should not be a problem.

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read in the paper.

barry
1st August 2012, 11:44 AM
It is actually a very legimiate survey, but aimed brand support for the swans. This is what drives the sponsorship value of the swans jumper, which is the most valuable in the land.

I remember when Citibank first joined us, they paid more for the jumper rights than Qantas paid for the wallabies.

And think about why. The swans jumper almost daily appears in both Sydney newspapers (collingwood hardly ever), and very frequently in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth newspapers as well.
No club comes close to that in any code.

jono2707
1st August 2012, 01:10 PM
Just one thing - we in Sydney don't 'barrack' for a team - we 'go' for a team. And I think the mentioned research, which has been done before, is pretty flawed. If this is what the AFL is relying on for their decision re GWS, good luck in converting these people to AFL..... Just my opinion :-)

Big Al
1st August 2012, 01:15 PM
Just one thing - we in Sydney don't 'barrack' for a team - we 'go' for a team. And I think the mentioned research, which has been done before, is pretty flawed. If this is what the AFL is relying on for their decision re GWS, good luck in converting these people to AFL..... Just my opinion :-)

I always laugh when I hear Americans root for their teams. Now that's true support.

GongSwan
1st August 2012, 02:28 PM
I always laugh when I hear Americans root for their teams. Now that's true support.

That's why the women's beach volleyball team is my fav. Followed by teh women's olympic hockey, I knew one of teh womens water polo team a few years back, no dreams there, for a bloke. A man still has dreams though you know

Kirkari
1st August 2012, 04:04 PM
Does that make us the most popular football club in THE WORLD!? Woo hoo!!!

R-1
1st August 2012, 04:36 PM
Full data here

[Roy Morgan Research] Roy Morgan Press Releases (http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2011/1424/)

Interesting that of a million fans, 18% said they had gone to a game in the previous 12 months.

supersall
1st August 2012, 06:47 PM
Don't discount the fact that for the Melbourne based club supporters, we are most likely to be their preferred interstate team. I had a lovely Geelong supporter (not quite an oxymoron) at the SCG game who calmed me down during the 'scare' in the last quarter by telling me if the Cats can't do it, the Swans have to.

p.s Win the flag I mean :smile:

Big Al
1st August 2012, 06:55 PM
Don't discount the fact that for the Melbourne based club supporters, we are most likely to be their preferred interstate team. I had a lovely Geelong supporter (not quite an oxymoron) at the SCG game who calmed me down during the 'scare' in the last quarter by telling me if the Cats can't do it, the Swans have to.

I was speaking to a 35 year old Grandmother who supports the Pies and they hate us. I think that's what she said. With her dentures sold on eBay she was a little hard to understand.

The Blues are on my naughty list too. Voting to get rid of a club tends tends to focus the angst just a tad.

swans_premiers
1st August 2012, 07:07 PM
They didnt ask me so thats a 1,000,001

Jewels
1st August 2012, 07:14 PM

You are quite right Sall, I had a Saints supporter say the very same thing to me at the game the other week.

jono2707
1st August 2012, 08:00 PM
I was speaking to a 35 year old Grandmother who supports the Pies and they hate us. I think that's what she said. With her dentures sold on eBay she was a little hard to understand.

Not only are we the most popular team, but our fans are the nicest and most civic-minded as well. People like Big Al taking time out of their busy days to visit people in prison - gee that's heartwarming....

BillyRayCypress
1st August 2012, 08:28 PM
Interesting that of a million fans, 18% said they had gone to a game in the previous 12 months.

That would be 180,000 fans. Where in Sydney? Some people

More interesting is the change in supporters since 2001. Sydney -16.7% and only 1.4% growth since June 2010

GWS have had a 100% increase in supporters during the same time. That makes GWS the more popular team in Sydney based on growth rate.

Kirkari
1st August 2012, 09:10 PM
Full data here

[Roy Morgan Research] Roy Morgan Press Releases (http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2011/1424/)

An AFL game, not necessarily a Swans game. Clearly a lot of non-Sydney based Swans fans out there.

Dirtyburt
1st August 2012, 09:14 PM
That would be 180,000 fans. Where in Sydney? Some people

More interesting is the change in supporters since 2001. Sydney -16.7% and only 1.4% growth since June 2010

GWS have had a 100% increase in supporters during the same time. That makes GWS the more popular team in Sydney based on growth rate.

Exactly why these stats are complete crap. They mean absolutely nothing

nicko18
1st August 2012, 10:44 PM
yeh I think you'll find the Melbourne Storm are Australia's most followed rugby league club too.

R-1
2nd August 2012, 12:32 AM
Nah, Broncos well ahead, Storm second just ahead of St George. Morgan do both on their sport surveys.