PDA

View Full Version : Morton's game

The_Jam
22nd September 2012, 04:20 PM
Morton is no Buddy. Yesterday he accumulated 8 possessions, was subbed off, kicked zero goals and had only one behind. It is quite possible that, if McGlynn is fit, Morton misses the Grand final. And, regardless of what happens next week, his position in the forward line will probably be Gary Rohan?s at the start of next pre-season. He has not set the world on fire. He has not secured his place in the 22. His has not made-it.

But I reckon he will. In yesterday?s game he had the third most tackles of anyone. He was the only forward in the top five tacklers (LRT was sixth). Watching the game on TV, he created goals for other people the hard way, applying blow-touch pressure and causing turnovers. Granted it wasn?t a complete performance, but few doubt he has the flare to score and given some time, I bet he?ll put that side back in. The question mark was whether he could play the team game, whether he could give up the glory, chase hard and stick tackles. If he hadn?t answered those charges already, in yesterday?s game he definitely did. In my humble opinion, this year Mitch Morton has proved himself a Blood.

Cheer, cheer!

31 hard at it
22nd September 2012, 04:23 PM
Watching the replay, in calmer demeanour, I thought he competed really well and gave the runners a real chance to score.

Just missed a couple of Marks and created a couple of goals at the right time.

He is on the fringe but that is a great sign for the Swans.

mcs
22nd September 2012, 04:25 PM
I thought, despite not kicking goals last night he did everything he was asked of and more. That relentless pressure that led to the Jetta goal from the wayward handball was fantastic. He will be desperately unlucky to miss out if he doesn't get a game in a week's time, but I too would not be suprised if Mcglynn came in for him. Whatever happens, he has impressed me over the last two games, and I would not be unhappy if he was in our final 22 at all.

ScottH
22nd September 2012, 04:54 PM
He was a presence up forward.
His tackle on Swan led to Swans goal.

But I feel you may be right.
Parker didn't have such a flash game either for the little time he was on the ground.

Gary
22nd September 2012, 04:55 PM
I have to agree that replay lifted my rating a little...but still a concern against Hawthorn IMO.
He looks good...but if benny is fit either Morton or Parker goes. What about the reid performance?

Bloody Hell
22nd September 2012, 04:58 PM
I think he'll be OK, but if McGlynn is ok he'll miss out.

There was one thing he did where the ball was going out on the boundary he stuck out his hand, took it cleanly and snapped over his shoulder that led to a Swans goal. Not many people in the team who would be capable of that.

I think he's gone ahead of TDL in the pecking order.

aardvark
22nd September 2012, 05:00 PM
If anyone deserves to be dropped it's Reid. He was pathetic. Mortons second efforts were good, its his first efforts that let him down a bit.

Gary
22nd September 2012, 05:04 PM
Reid clearly thought he was playing Lacrosse but forgot his net! His ground recovery is also very poor. Sure he did a couple of nice things, but his recent form is a concern playing hawthorn (or Adelaide for that matter).

mcs
22nd September 2012, 05:43 PM
There is no way you could possibly drop Reid though. He is struggling, no doubt - but he is so critical to our overall forward line structure, even if he isn't playing well himself.

aardvark
22nd September 2012, 05:48 PM
Player ratings on AFL site.....

Mitch Morton - 7
The stats sheet doesn't show it, but Morton should have done enough to ensure a Grand Final spot. He was a standout when it came to forward pressure. A tackle on Dane Swan five minutes into the second quarter led to a turnover and Josh Kennedy goal, and a gutsy second effort to chase and tackle Alan Toovey in the third quarter forced the Magpie to misfire a handball straight to Lewis Jetta for a goal. He also could have put the game beyond doubt early in last quarter when he won a free kick for a tackle on Harry O'Brien, but his set shot hit the post. Was subbed off a short time later.

Sam Reid - 2
Very quiet. Only four disposals and didn't kick a goal. Took a good intercept mark early in the second quarter and found Pyke, but Pyke missed the shot. Should have had a goal early in the third quarter but dropped a sitter of a mark.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/148194/default.aspx

Hartijon
22nd September 2012, 05:54 PM
If anyone deserves to be dropped it's Reid. He was pathetic. Mortons second efforts were good, its his first efforts that let him down a bit.
I see he was rated at just 2 /10.The battle of the brothers was easily won by his brother. Dropping easy chest marks ,running away from contests and finally being dragged,all in all a very bad night for Sam in stark contrast to the rest of the team.Its not like that the ball wasn't there ,its just Sam probably played his consistent worst game of the year.This gives selectors a huge headache because LRT was magnificent both at the contest,crumbing and marking.On pure performance Sam would have to be dropped for the Granny but that is unlikely to happen.However in a Grand Final don't expect Horse to leave him there long if he is giving us nothing. I agree Morton is worthy of a place and if Goodsey could only nail set shots,we would have a forward line to Challenge Adelaide or The Hawks.

Triple B
22nd September 2012, 05:55 PM
I don't think Reid was anywhere near as bad as some are making out. He still chased hard when it was his turn to go and tried hard.

aardvark
22nd September 2012, 06:03 PM
I don't think Reid was anywhere near as bad as some are making out. He still chased hard when it was his turn to go and tried hard.

After the game I would have agreed with you. After watching the replay this morning he spent a lot of time running around outside the contests not doing much.

liz
22nd September 2012, 06:07 PM

Agreed.

We're going to have an unlucky player next weekend. The 22 who played yesterday and McGlynn all have claims on a spot but there are only 22 to go around. If McGlynn is fit he'll come in, and deserves too. The only real candidates to be the unlucky 23rd man are Morton or Parker, or possibly Pyke if Longmire decides to drastically change the structure. But I really can't see him doing that. There is no way known Reid will be dropped unless he is not fit enough to play.

TakeTheSaucepan
22nd September 2012, 06:12 PM

Surely you're joking. He had 2 kicks, 1 tackle and NO shots at goal. How many times did the ball hit him in the hands and fall out? Don't forget he had only 4 kicks against Adelaide for 1 goal. This bloke is paid to take marks and kick goals, and he hasn't looked like it for 6 weeks. If he wasn't 6"5, he'd be sitting in the stands with us. As for Morton, he was outstanding. His pressure acts lead to 4 goals and he has a great deal of versatility (he was even swung into the centre for a couple of centre bounces in the 3rd quarter). The one on the chopping block is Parker. Even though he hasn't had a lot of game time of late, he's not quite the same player since the shoulder injury.

Steve
22nd September 2012, 06:14 PM
I'd be disappointed if Morton was left out next week - we need a genuine creative forward and I think he's been very good in both finals.

His keeping that ball in play which led to Jude's goal in the first quarter is a basic example - every other player in our side (including Goodes I reckon) would have been happy to let it go out and have a stoppage inside our forward 50.

The numerous important tackles have been mentioned, the Toovey one was a great example of commitment - 1) ball bounced Toovey's way when it seemed a certain Swans goal, 2) Morton initially stumbled which gave Toovey a chance to break away, 3) but Morton still chased and was able to make the tackle.

If McGlynn is fit I'd leave out Parker - he'd be unluckly but Morton would be a good sub to have an impact in the second half. If McGlynn is 50/50 I think Morton has done enough for us to be OK with leaving him in.

Xie Shan
22nd September 2012, 06:36 PM
Morton absolutely deserves his spot, sitting in the forward pocket his defensive pressure was pretty good I thought and could have kicked a couple if he'd had a bit of luck - think he hit the post early from a set shot, and got a bad bounce in the goal square but recovered to set up Jetta's 3rd (?)

Reid didn't have a great game (though certainly not as bad as the reports suggest) but he is no chance of being dropped as he still requires a match up.

I have a sad feeling that if Benny comes up Parker (unfortunately) may be the unlucky one to miss out as he has been the sub the last two finals so may be lacking in match fitness. Of course I hope McGlynn plays, but if he doesn't come up I expect we'll name an unchanged side (Ted's ankle and possible Mumford report aside, but I have to say it's unlikely that either of them would miss)

Ludwig
22nd September 2012, 07:31 PM
Morton has to stay. He's really added a new dimension to our under-performing forward line, especially since Reid has been down on form of late. Not suggesting that we drop Reid. I think his fumbling is just a mental thing. He's probably thinking about missing his set shot before he takes the mark. I'm sure he will work that out, if not next week, then next year. We just have to live with whatever he can give us next week. Seeing Roughead drop 2 easy marks in the first half, Reid can be forgiven.

If Mcglynn does come up, I would drop Pyke. He hasn't offered much in recent weeks. Is a poor shot on goal. And Mummy seems content on rucking most of the game. He can get his fair share of hitouts, but they are often sharked, so he can easily be covered by LRT as a Rk/Fwd. We could use the extra run, whether it's McGlynn or Armstrong, whose foot skills would be very helpful next week.

Plugger1300
23rd September 2012, 02:16 AM
Simple Stays in the side - Could be be a huge X factor
At the same time probably had to stake a better claim last night. McGlynn comes up the dpot is his

MightyBloods
23rd September 2012, 03:17 AM
Simple Stays in the side - Could be be a huge X factor
At the same time probably had to stake a better claim last night. McGlynn comes up the dpot is his

Morton has to stay in......Hawks defence is suspect to overhead marks. Also, he is smart and keeps a defender honest...therefore taking pressure away from our other forwards.
If Benny is fit unfortunately I think Parker may be the one to miss out.

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd September 2012, 03:55 AM
If we don't want to win the GF, we should go ahead and drop Reid.

Hartijon
23rd September 2012, 07:27 AM
Who wins you a GF? Firstly every player has to give it 100% and not be in the team for any other reason than being the best available choice out of the players available for selection.That still is not enough.You need your stars to perform.Hawthorn's Rioli , Franklin,Lewis etc are all capable of a 5 minute cameo that could destroy us.We need to pick proven big game performers to match these players.I would therefore pick Parker and Morton who has done an incredible job making our forward line perform 1/2 decently. I would pick Reid but start Lrt at CHF and slip Reid in when his match up is needing a rest. The kid needs confidence and needs to take a clean mark and kick a goal from a set shot. GThen he will be fine. McGlynne's hamstring is too risky for a hard GF and Pyke is looking quite ordinary in elite company whereas LRT is starring and Mummy can carry the ruck for this one game.

BRISWAN
23rd September 2012, 07:41 AM
Reid won't be dropped but needs to have a serious look at the replay.
Ok, he may be out of form but he provided no second efforts, didn't try and to get involved with enough contests and thus his confidence remains low.
The marks he muffed were Dolly's and he won't improve next week unless he decides to get his hands dirty.
He just didn't look like he had a real dip to me.
Morton made great space in the first term and did some nice things. The issue with Mitch is that the speed of the game found him out several times. He chased hard and did what was asked but needs to improve here.
Parks is sadly out of touch and with limited game time - it makes it hard for him to rediscover his stellar early season form. Will be the next Jude.
Benny deserves a chance and will be given one. His form is solid and his desire is not in doubt. Love to see him in the pocket rubbing up his old team and doing a Monty '05.
Hard selection week.
(fingers crossed for Mummy).

Swansongster
23rd September 2012, 07:47 AM
Morton and Reid both stay in. Before you consign Sammy to the sideline, remember how Hawkins switched on in Q4 of last year's Granny. He is one strong mark and one straight kick away from being back.

Triple B
23rd September 2012, 07:59 AM
Morton has to stay in......Hawks defence is suspect to overhead marks.....

This.

If we learnt nothing else from the Hawks/Adelaide game, it is that the Hawks defence is their achilles and the more marking targets we have the better. Without Gibson coming over the top and punching it 20 rows into the stands because he was busy looking after Walker, Schoey and his gang were exposed for the ordinary defensive unit they are...

stellation
23rd September 2012, 08:10 AM
The highlight of his game was that he ran around and tried hard, has he slotted into LRT's spot? ;)

Triple B
23rd September 2012, 08:11 AM
The highlight of his game was that he ran around and tried hard, has he slotted into LRT's spot? ;)

Lol...Bad luck Burt is not still around, he'd be able to tell us...

barry
23rd September 2012, 08:43 AM
Morton will stay in. suits hawthorn better. If mcglyn comes in it will be at the expense of parker

Primmy
23rd September 2012, 08:59 AM
Morton will stay in. suits hawthorn better. If mcglyn comes in it will be at the expense of parkermade this call myself.....breaks my heart.

giant
23rd September 2012, 09:45 AM

On the night, I thought Reid had been OK - watching the replay last night, he didn't look to be working nearly hard enough. Need a much bigger effort from him next Saturday, he'll have Schooey and he'll need to exploit those Tippett demons.

Swannie1172
23rd September 2012, 10:01 AM
Morton is a hard and smart mid forward who complements our current forward line very well ... but for a bad bounce, ump call and a poster, he would have kicked 3 goals. Yet he still played a big hand in at least 3 goals. He stays in our starting lineup, fullstop. If Benny is declared fit, he comes in as the sub for an unlucky Parker.

DamY
23rd September 2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah Morton definitely pulled his weight and has done so since he's come into the seniors. But like what has been mentioned elsewhere, his spot will probably come under pressure when Rohan is fit next year. Parker will stake his claim on a First 22 position in no time.

Primmy
23rd September 2012, 11:15 AM
Here's my theory about Reid. He played decoy against Collingwood so that Hawthorne don't factor him into their major concerns.....he is a player that can do five things, and make five things happen. He was also moving up the ground big time taking his oponent with him. That left the forward fifty open and clear for the runners.

Of course I could be talking crap here.

neilfws
23rd September 2012, 11:54 AM
On the night, I thought Reid had been OK - watching the replay last night, he didn't look to be working nearly hard enough

We watched him closely from bay 123 and thought the same. Spent a lot of the game just standing around near O'Brien, hands on hips and when he was involved, barely any second efforts. I don't think he'll be dropped, too important for forward structure, but someone should have a word and tell him what's required. Poor game and I'm surprised anyone is defending it.

Morton on the other hand is full of second efforts, never gives up. Thought he had one of those games where influence is not measured well by the stats - best example being his work leading to the Jetta goal. Some of the perceived slowness is, I think, down to the fact that he's quite a big lad and tends to "lumber" a bit.

wolftone57
23rd September 2012, 12:14 PM
Morton did quite a lot and competed well. He caused the turn over for the Jetts goal. He also brought the ball to ground in front of him when he dropped the mark he guided the ball forward allowing LRT to run onto it. There is an old saying in footy "if you spill the mark make sure it falls to the front of you". John Kennedy Snr used to talk about this all the time and Lethal as well. It gives crumbers a better chance at the ball and Morton did just that. His tackling pressure caused several Pies break downs and several of our goals resulted. Hew will kick better next week and he will play. The 'Doc' reckons it will be very surprising if either Benny and Guerra get up for next week & we certainly will not take any player who is risky into a GF. I think we have learned our lesson on that.

Triple B
23rd September 2012, 01:07 PM
The 'Doc' reckons it will be very surprising if either Benny and Guerra get up for next week & we certainly will not take any player who is risky into a GF. ...

Careful, those large grains of salt you take with his comments can be bad for your health...

chalbilto
23rd September 2012, 03:29 PM
Agree with your summation. It would be crazy to drop him! Absolute madness.

split_city
23rd September 2012, 05:18 PM
I thought he was a bit sloppy against the Pies but I would much prefer him to stay in the team. He did enough to cement his spot.

dimelb
23rd September 2012, 05:36 PM
He got a sharp lesson in the increased pace and intensity of Finals football. He strikes me as the type to learn from the experience. We'll get a good contribution from him next Saturday.

cherub
23rd September 2012, 06:06 PM
Just so ironic to go from being not good enough for Richmond to playing in a grand final.

dimelb
23rd September 2012, 06:27 PM
Just so ironic to go from being not good enough for Richmond to playing in a grand final.
:smile:

Hartijon
23rd September 2012, 06:47 PM

Richmond reject? Who cares? There are many reasons we lost in 2006 but 2 clear failures were that our much feted CHF had a "shocker" and could not get the ball let alone kick goals. The second reason was our much feted ruckman played with an injury and had no effect on the game. Our rucks are fine this year but goals from CHF are as rare as diamonds. Is it too late to change? Yes! We have to go with Reid but we need a superb coaching display from Horse and smart and quick decisions if he starts to get thrashed and run off.Morton HAs to play as his efforts end up in goals. Without insulting anybodies intelligence ,you don't win a game by having more tackles,possessions ,etc etc.You win by kicking a higher score.Morton has the ability to score.

Reggi
23rd September 2012, 06:49 PM
As much as it is heartbreaking, you couldn't consider McGlynn with a Hamstring. Morton had 7 tackles, impressive forward pressure.

BBB is right we need to spread the Hawks defense with talls

swanspant12
23rd September 2012, 08:24 PM
Morton was not bad at all. Reid was horrible but that won't be mentioned, only because of morton's past he is mentioned. McGlynn as much as he has played well cannot come into the side. He is underdone and morton knows the MCG. I think he can be a real x-factor in the granny. He will have footy smarts in the fifty and we need him to stretch the hawthorn defense.

BRISWAN
23rd September 2012, 08:39 PM
Watched the replay today and paid particular attention to his game.
Not bad at all - has to stay.

Beerman
23rd September 2012, 09:09 PM
We watched him [Reid] closely from bay 123 and thought the same. Spent a lot of the game just standing around near O'Brien, hands on hips and when he was involved, barely any second efforts. I don't think he'll be dropped, too important for forward structure, but someone should have a word and tell him what's required. Poor game and I'm surprised anyone is defending it.

Morton on the other hand is full of second efforts, never gives up. Thought he had one of those games where influence is not measured well by the stats - best example being his work leading to the Jetta goal. Some of the perceived slowness is, I think, down to the fact that he's quite a big lad and tends to "lumber" a bit.

Perhaps the difference is that one knows that his spot is on the line in a grand final team.

SwallowdaFonz
23rd September 2012, 09:17 PM
I reckon I'd think about having McGlynn as the sub, bring him on for an impact late but don't trust his hammy to last the whole game. That would leave Morton in the starting side, and yes you couldn't drop Reid now.

Rob-bloods
23rd September 2012, 09:27 PM
For me Grundy is a real worry. The Final vs Bulldogs looms large when he dropped his pants to Bazza, and he was flaky Friday night against and out of form attack, he goes to ground far too easily (and often) and his clangers are always big ones, handballs direct to opposition and short kicks up the corridor, if he has one of his "bad" games Saturday we are in big trouble.
I'd leave Morton in, he has played more at the G than anyone in the squad I would think, and he could just spark the forward line. If McGlynn is fit I would suspect Parker would be under pressure, and McGlynn might be on the pine, although can McGlynn really prove himself ready for a Grannie?

Rob-bloods
23rd September 2012, 09:29 PM
For me Grundy is a real worry. The Final vs Bulldogs looms large when he dropped his pants to Bazza, and he was flaky Friday night against an out of form attack, he goes to ground far too easily (and often) and his clangers are always big ones, handballs direct to opposition and short kicks up the corridor, if he has one of his "bad" games Saturday we are in big trouble.
I'd leave Morton in, he has played more at the G than anyone in the squad I would think, and he could just spark the forward line. If McGlynn is fit I would suspect Parker would be under pressure, and McGlynn might be on the pine, although can McGlynn really prove himself ready for a Grannie?

crackedactor
23rd September 2012, 10:01 PM
Player ratings on AFL site.....

Mitch Morton - 7
The stats sheet doesn't show it, but Morton should have done enough to ensure a Grand Final spot. He was a standout when it came to forward pressure. A tackle on Dane Swan five minutes into the second quarter led to a turnover and Josh Kennedy goal, and a gutsy second effort to chase and tackle Alan Toovey in the third quarter forced the Magpie to misfire a handball straight to Lewis Jetta for a goal. He also could have put the game beyond doubt early in last quarter when he won a free kick for a tackle on Harry O'Brien, but his set shot hit the post. Was subbed off a short time later.

Sam Reid - 2
Very quiet. Only four disposals and didn't kick a goal. Took a good intercept mark early in the second quarter and found Pyke, but Pyke missed the shot. Should have had a goal early in the third quarter but dropped a sitter of a mark.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/148194/default.aspxPretty good assessment of both. Morton was OK and made some good tackles, so his game was OK. Reid was very ordinary I felt. I noticed a couple of times when he chased, he did not look to be 100% fit. His form and fitness is a concern. I hope Horse does not play him unless 100% fit, otherwise Morton deserves another go. I am also concerned about Parker's from since he has come back from injury. From memory he has played only one decent game during his comeback. His place in the team is borderline, though it is difficult being a sub.

Lucky Knickers
23rd September 2012, 10:16 PM
Reid seemed to spend a lot of time quite high up the ground and appeared to be marking Goldsack at times (perhaps it was just the way the zone was set tho'), particularly in the first qtr, with LRT playing deeper forward. He then took Taz on a few adventures up the wing as well. Was this a different role than usual?

Whoever misses is very unlucky. I wouldn't play McGlynn as the sub. I'd let him start if he's fit. If there is any doubt then he needs to give way.
The guy is absolutely instrumental to our success this year. If there is one player, besides Jude, that I know will give everything he has to keep us in the game it is one Benny McGlynn.
Deserves it over Morton, Parker and Pyke.

Hartijon
24th September 2012, 07:12 AM
For me Grundy is a real worry. The Final vs Bulldogs looms large when he dropped his pants to Bazza, and he was flaky Friday night against an out of form attack, he goes to ground far too easily (and often) and his clangers are always big ones, handballs direct to opposition and short kicks up the corridor, if he has one of his "bad" games Saturday we are in big trouble.

I agree about Reg but when he is good he is really good ,when bad.....oh well its too late now!
Feel sorry for Parker! I have had both the injuries he has had and cannot believe his courage to come back so quickly! He must play with pain killers and suffer during the week.The edge has gone off his play as a result but I feel in a granny he would not care and would throw himself in as recklessly as he started the year doing.McGlynne is all courage too but hamstrings are really tested in a granny and we CANNOT afford to be one man down because he does his Hammy again.Its not worth the risk. Morton must play because he has generated more goals in 3 games than others have in a lot more.Reid is there as our Tomahawk! I hope he rises to the challenge and pulls down some great marks and kicks a bag. (one can always hope!)