PDA

View Full Version : The telecast/replay - a different game

Mel
1st October 2012, 02:01 PM
Ive always thought that Aussie Rules was/is a different game live than on tele, and this premiership has just confirmed that for me. I'm watching the replay (again) and you just see so many different things. At the game, and from where I was sitting, it was clear that some players were having blinders; AJ, Hanners, LRT and Pyke amongst them, but it wasn't until I watched it on the TV that I noticed just how much work Mal, Sammy, O'Keefe, Bird and others did. Basically it was a brilliant, all-round team effort. No passengers, even though we were the walking wounded by the final siren.

A disclaimer too, there were more players I noticed at the ground that were brilliant, and the same for the TV list, but I would have ended up listing the entire team by name if I'd named each one!

monopoly19
1st October 2012, 02:10 PM
It definitely is! At the game I tend get caught up in watching only the player with the ball and miss the other stuff. Until I watched a replay of last week's game, I thought Morton had a shocker - completely missed all the chasing, tackling and defensive work he did.

Haven't watched a replay of the GF yet, but I'm sure it'll seem like a different game than the one I saw live on Saturday!!!

Cardinal
1st October 2012, 02:13 PM
Ive always thought that Aussie Rules was/is a different game live than on tele, and this premiership has just confirmed that for me. I'm watching the replay (again) and you just see so many different things. At the game, and from where I was sitting, it was clear that some players were having blinders; AJ, Hanners, LRT and Pyke amongst them, but it wasn't until I watched it on the TV that I noticed just how much work Mal, Sammy, O'Keefe, Bird and others did. Basically it was a brilliant, all-round team effort. No passengers, even though we were the walking wounded by the final siren.

A disclaimer too, there were more players I noticed at the ground that were brilliant, and the same for the TV list, but I would have ended up listing the entire team by name if I'd named each one!

Yep differenet game - you still managed to name my Troy Luff vote winners.

The weather doesn't seem half bad on tv. Many of the Hawk frees are still soft though.

Hartijon
1st October 2012, 02:14 PM

I totally agree. There were no passengers and very few mistakes made by all the players. Even our misses were close. To single out one player for the Norm Smith seemed unfair although you could not argue with ROK's game ,neither could you find anything wrong with the entire team's effort. Both Mc Veigh and Pyke had the best game of their season and Mal was sensational . Like you say,you could go through the whole team and say much the same thing and I guess thats how you win a Grand Final!

Cpt. Kirk
1st October 2012, 02:40 PM
I reckon what won us the game was the ability of our "bottom 10" to still influence the game. Their Bottom 10 on the day were not bad they were horrible mainly due to what we were able to do to them. Roughy, Birchall, Gibson and puopolo had shockers. I went to the sydney vs essendon game last year and that is game that you needed to be at the ground to feel and see what was really happening although we lost, some of the stuff that Goodes did off the ball to get Reid into the game was outstanding and things you wouldn't have seen watching on TV.

Cardinal
1st October 2012, 02:45 PM
And they seem to have edited the telecast with an idiot running out onto the field - don't recall that at the ground.

swanspant12
1st October 2012, 03:07 PM
And they seem to have edited the telecast with an idiot running out onto the field - don't recall that at the ground.

Same here. Me and my old man were watching the replay for the 25th time literally and we both didn't notice it. Strange!

DamY
1st October 2012, 03:38 PM
That happened near us

Meg
1st October 2012, 03:42 PM

I totally agree that you see different things at the ground compared with the telecast. I haven't yet watched the replay and am looking forward to it for that reason. For example. at the ground I didn't realise that Goodes had been injured, I couldn't see the bench where the players were getting treatment and didn't pick it up on the field. I am just amazed at the game he played now that I know. Re your comment above, are you saying the idiot is shown or not shown on the telecast? I certainly saw it at the ground and it caused the umpire to hold up the centre bounce for a long time while security got the nitwit off. This made the drama at the end even more nail-biting - the woman next to me was begging for them to blow the siren but I knew we were going to have a long quarter because the clock had been stopped for this holdup. But oh the joy when it eventually did sound!!

Primmy
1st October 2012, 03:55 PM
Didn't see it live either. Looks like the idiot missed his TV mark. They didn't even feature him at any point, not a single camera shot. So he gets a 7 year ban from the MCG, and a massive fine. Twit.

I have told anyone who would listen that this game was won above the shoulders, The concentration involved was incredible. Kudos to Hanners. Massive kudos to AJ who may need to learn a few manners,but his coolness down back bodes well for us and the future. Leadership by Goodes was terrific, guided Mitch to his goals; everyone played their part, and even when mistakes were made, not one head dropped and they got up and had another go. (This may be a life lesson I should learn.....mutter).

I am full of food, coffee and overload of tv. And I go back into the fray to absorb the second half. Again.

Swansinger
1st October 2012, 04:58 PM
Spot on , Mel !

No team ever gets 22 candidates for the NSM , but EVERY SINGLE PLAYER made significant contributions to the win. That's not emotion talking, it's fact.

ScottH
1st October 2012, 06:07 PM
Too true mel.
I hardly spotted rok on the ground. Was surprised to hear him named NS.
But all the others I noticed.
Haven't watched a full replay yet

Big Al
1st October 2012, 06:11 PM
Too true mel.
I hardly spotted rok on the ground. Was surprised to hear him named NS.
But all the others I noticed.
Haven't watched a full replay yet

I had Hanners or Pyke pencilled in as the Norm Smith medalists at the game and on watching my third replay I think Hanners should have gotten it.

SimonH
1st October 2012, 06:16 PM
Speaking of replay-- anyone know whether there will be one on FTA? Guess which doofus didn't set his machine (and doesn't have Fox).

I know or at least expect it's online at afl.com, but the bigger screen would be nice. Cheers.

ScottH
1st October 2012, 06:27 PM
I had Hanners or Pyke pencilled in as the Norm Smith medalists at the game and on watching my third replay I think Hanners should have gotten it.
I thought hanners was a shoe in.

Speaking of replay-- anyone know whether there will be one on FTA? Guess which doofus didn't set his machine (and doesn't have Fox).

I know or at least expect it's online at afl.com, but the bigger screen would be nice. Cheers.
My pvr screwed up and failed to record. So I bought the DVD.

erica
1st October 2012, 07:14 PM
Norm Smith votes (from Patrick Keane @AFL_PKeane on Twitter):

Norm Smith votes - R O'Keeffe 12 (33321), B Sewell 7 (322), D Hannebery 5 (311), L Franklin 5 (221), J Mcveigh 1 (1).

Judge votes 321 order - B Ratten chairman (Sewell O'Keeffe Franklin); D Morphett ABC Radio (O'Keeffe Franklin Hannebery); M Malthouse Ch 7 (O'Keeffe Sewell Hannebery); T McGrath K Rock (Hannebery Sewell O'Keeffe); N Cordy (O'Keeffe Franklin McVeigh).

Big Al
1st October 2012, 07:33 PM
I've got to say I thought the commentary was absolutely brilliant. Dennis and Bruce have annoyed me for last few years but they did a terrific job on this game. One of the best Grand Finals of all time got a great call so my hats off to the both of them.

billyboob
1st October 2012, 07:53 PM
Dennis and Bruce have annoyed me for last few years but they did a terrific job on this game. One of the best Grand Finals of all time got a great call so my hats off to the both of them.

I'm about to watch the game again, but this time with Roy and HG.

Melbourne_Blood
1st October 2012, 07:54 PM

I agree Hanners was our best, and I think Kennedy was better than he's been given credit for, he would not have bee an unworthy winner IMO.

Mel
1st October 2012, 08:26 PM
Well, I have now watched the final three quarters on TV three times and I reckon Hanners was pretty hard done by. He gets my vote (which is clearly Moore important than the 'experts') for the NS.
He'll just have to get it next year :)
And at least we werent ripped off with a Hawk getting it like we were in 2005.

Big Al
1st October 2012, 08:42 PM
I need more tissues after that montage on AFL360 with all the highlights interspersed with the radio commentary. Wonderful stuff.

Xie Shan
1st October 2012, 08:52 PM
At times during the second half I thought I was watching the 2005 grand final. We got out to a lead, then coughed it up, fell 2 goals behind early in the last quarter yet rallied to win. We kicked the last four goals of the game!

erica
1st October 2012, 08:59 PM
I need more tissues after that montage on AFL360 with all the highlights interspersed with the radio commentary. Wonderful stuff.

Is there anywhere us non-Fox people could see this?

Big Al
1st October 2012, 09:02 PM

Hopefully it'll be on You Tube before too long.

Wardy
1st October 2012, 09:45 PM
I'm about to watch the game again, but this time with Roy and HG.

Were they on JJJ? Are they On the DVD ? Because I love them. The ABC radio commentary was fantastic also.

billyboob
1st October 2012, 10:12 PM
Were they on JJJ? Are they On the DVD ?

I can only wish. They were on News Radio (http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/newsradio/audio/Festivaloftheboot2012-part1.mp3).

aardvark
1st October 2012, 11:40 PM

That was just brilliant and yes the tissue box got a workout here too....

hot potato
1st October 2012, 11:55 PM

I have it recorded, when I get a sec could video it on my IPAD AND stick it on U-tube...

DST
1st October 2012, 11:56 PM
I've got to say I thought the commentary was absolutely brilliant. Dennis and Bruce have annoyed me for last few years but they did a terrific job on this game. One of the best Grand Finals of all time got a great call so my hats off to the both of them.

Agree, when they knuckle down and concentrate on commentating the game they are a great pair of callers together.

Most of the year they sound bored and end up trying to out do each other without actually commenting on the game itself.

DST

mcs
2nd October 2012, 12:21 AM
I've watched the first half this evening and will watch the second half tomorrow evening. What an entirely different game it is at the ground to on telly. I get so engrossed in following the ball,yelling, cheering, everything else at the ground that you miss so many litt

But a few things I knew at the ground certainly holding true in the replay - how excellent Pyke was, how sensational AJ is (what a cracking player we have there... so cool under intense pressure!), how good Reecey and Mal were, and just how wonderful that coast to coast goal of Reid's was.

Can't wait to watch the second half of the game tomorrow night.... especially knowing the result to come :five:

DeadlyAkkuret
2nd October 2012, 04:51 AM
Reid's game will be underrated for years, and Jetta would have been top 5 on ground despite only gathering a few touches.

Doctor
2nd October 2012, 11:39 AM
Having been at the game and now watched the replay, I'm now streaming the HG & Roy call at work. Anyone who wants to replay it can access it here. The NRL one is available too.

http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/listen/daily.htm

Triple B
2nd October 2012, 01:03 PM
I downloaded 4 commentaries (SEN, ABC, MMM, 3AW) and the umpires microphone feed. They are on my iPhone now and I listened to the first quarter and a half of SEN's in the car on the way to work this morning. A couple of weeks worth of pleasant memory travelling ahead...

Big Al
2nd October 2012, 01:13 PM
I downloaded 4 commentaries (SEN, ABC, MMM, 3AW) and the umpires microphone feed. They are on my iPhone now and I listened to the first quarter and a half of SEN's in the car on the way to work this morning. A couple of weeks worth of pleasant memory travelling ahead...

Pardon my ignorance mate but how do I go about doing that??

AnnieH
2nd October 2012, 01:27 PM
It took me an hour and a half to watch the first quarter.
Play. Pause. Rewind. Replay. Play. Pause. Rewind. Replay......

Triple B
2nd October 2012, 01:30 PM
Pardon my ignorance mate but how do I go about doing that??

They were torrents on the aussierul.es website.

Given those type of sites are often controversial, I'm not sure whether linking to it is kocher though...

Big Al
2nd October 2012, 01:33 PM
They were torrents on the aussierul.es website.

Given those type of sites are often controversial, I'm not sure whether linking to it is kocher though...

Thanks mate!

Nico
2nd October 2012, 01:43 PM
And here I was saying when is Longmire going to put Goodes on the ball to save the game. No idea he was injured. Like Scott I was surprised that ROK got the medal but when you see the replay you can see why. I was in the forward pocket at the Punt Rd end. I find if you watch from the wing you get a much better view and appreciation of what players are doing. Those voting on the medal have those prime seats.

Mike_B
2nd October 2012, 03:58 PM
My feeling at the ground was that it was Hanners or Sewell as BOG, but what you see from a vantage point at the ground means you also don't see lots. Watching the replay ROK was clearly far more heavily involved than what I could see.

The others that really stood out to me watching the replay that I didn't notice during the game were Reid - made plenty of contests and went in hard, Goodes and his ability to create a contest if nothing else after hurting his knee, and Jetta's poise and decision making, even if he didn't get a heap of the ball, was telling.

mcs
2nd October 2012, 04:32 PM
My feeling at the ground was that it was Hanners or Sewell as BOG, but what you see from a vantage point at the ground means you also don't see lots. Watching the replay ROK was clearly far more heavily involved than what I could see.

The others that really stood out to me watching the replay that I didn't notice during the game were Reid - made plenty of contests and went in hard, Goodes and his ability to create a contest if nothing else after hurting his knee, and Jetta's poise and decision making, even if he didn't get a heap of the ball, was telling.

Jetta's poise and decision making has come a Long way this season. He was wonderful in the grand final - a very cool, calm and inspired performance from a player that has improved so very much this year. Can't wait to see him improve even more next year.

Mr Magoo
2nd October 2012, 04:57 PM
Jetta's poise and decision making has come a Long way this season. He was wonderful in the grand final - a very cool, calm and inspired performance from a player that has improved so very much this year. Can't wait to see him improve even more next year.

His disposal efficiency must have been pretty high and not only were they efficient , they were particularly damaging.

The kick into the centre that lead to the Kennedy goal was unbelievable vision .

Mountain Man
2nd October 2012, 05:18 PM
Lately Jetta has had no problem in getting 50+ metres on his kicks for goal, and I reckon he had some wind advantage for that final quarter set shot - surprised it fell so short.

Melbourne_Blood
2nd October 2012, 05:34 PM
Lately Jetta has had no problem in getting 50+ metres on his kicks for goal, and I reckon he had some wind advantage for that final quarter set shot - surprised it fell so short.

A combination of exhaustion and injury I think. Otherwise he would of kicked that from 65 with that wind no worries.

Triple B
2nd October 2012, 06:38 PM

He had cramped in the groins bigtime. Was off during the last quarter for a bit longer than the normal rotation time getting the area worked on. Normally he would get that easily, as MB said, just exhausted.

On his kicking, we were musing over a dozen and a half pots on Sat night and noted if you lined up our 22 and said to a recent arrival that one guy kicked 19 straight behinds before he kicked a goal, Jetta would probably be the last one picked to be the guy...

ScottH
2nd October 2012, 09:02 PM
One smart arse Hawk supporter (female) was screaming at Josh when he lined up for his set shot, that it's 50 metres at the MCG not 50 metres at the SCG.
She went very quiet when he nailed his shot!!

Mike_B
2nd October 2012, 10:51 PM

A combination of exhaustion and injury I think. Otherwise he would of kicked that from 65 with that wind no worries.

He had cramped in the groins bigtime. Was off during the last quarter for a bit longer than the normal rotation time getting the area worked on. Normally he would get that easily, as MB said, just exhausted.

On his kicking, we were musing over a dozen and a half pots on Sat night and noted if you lined up our 22 and said to a recent arrival that one guy kicked 19 straight behinds before he kicked a goal, Jetta would probably be the last one picked to be the guy...

He was absolutely stuffed with cramp. Take a look at him walking up to the dais to get his medal, even then he could barely move...

Wazza
2nd October 2012, 11:20 PM
It was a brilliant package they should add it to the end of the GF DVD.

Cheers

waz

Wazza
2nd October 2012, 11:24 PM
I agree Hanners was our best, and I think Kennedy was better than he's been given credit for, he would not have bee an unworthy winner IMO.
It may have been Kennedys slow 1st QTR that cost him he was on sewel 1st qtr and he tore Josh a new one once Okeefe and josh started to rotate on sewel and mitchell in 2nd qtr we started to get on top.

Cheers

waz

Xie Shan
3rd October 2012, 12:16 AM
He was absolutely stuffed with cramp. Take a look at him walking up to the dais to get his medal, even then he could barely move...

Yes, you can see him struggling as he goes back to take his kick. He gave it absolutely everything he had, the kick itself only landed a couple of metres short...

I've only watched the whole game once from start to finish, but I can't stop watching the last few minutes, there were several critical plays, Mattner scrambling for the ball with Birchall on the boundary line, the resulting throw-in led to Jetta's mark, which was actually from a quick kick off the ground by Pyke! Everyone did their bit for the team in that last quarter, they all managed to contribute something.

SCGonasunnyday
3rd October 2012, 06:34 PM
Spot on , Mel !

No team ever gets 22 candidates for the NSM , but EVERY SINGLE PLAYER made significant contributions to the win. That's not emotion talking, it's fact.

I've just returned from Melbourne (with a sore head). Only got to see the replay for the first time yesterday. I spent so many hours reading RWO and other websites, basking in the glory of the win and all the kudos and goodwill from pundits and other fans. Haven't contributed, not sure what to say, there is too much. So I'd just like to quote the above, at the end of the day we won because every single player contributed. Well done everyone, this is just so enjoyable.

goswannie14
3rd October 2012, 06:43 PM
I've got to say I thought the commentary was absolutely brilliant. Dennis and Bruce have annoyed me for last few years but they did a terrific job on this game. One of the best Grand Finals of all time got a great call so my hats off to the both of them.You must have missed some of McAvaneys stupid comments. "Hawthorn is probably the most attacking team ever....." His orgasmic calling of Franklin every time the ball is in attack makes me want to vomit.

goswannie14
3rd October 2012, 06:45 PM
Yes, you can see him struggling as he goes back to take his kick. He gave it absolutely everything he had, the kick itself only landed a couple of metres short...

I've only watched the whole game once from start to finish, but I can't stop watching the last few minutes, there were several critical plays, Mattner scrambling for the ball with Birchall on the boundary line, the resulting throw-in led to Jetta's mark, which was actually from a quick kick off the ground by Pyke! Everyone did their bit for the team in that last quarter, they all managed to contribute something.Mortons handball to get the ball out in front of Jack for the levelling goal.

ShockOfHair
3rd October 2012, 06:49 PM
No I thought even Bruce was pretty good on the day. The others were and always are pretty spot-on - Dennis, Lethal, Harley, Richo.

Bruce made a great call of Morton's first goal as he ducked around a couple of Hawks.... "he's fishing, he's fishing... .he's hooked a big one!"

He controlled himself during the Rioli v Jetta chase. Didn't mention the 'd' word.

Big Al
3rd October 2012, 07:16 PM
You must have missed some of McAvaneys stupid comments. "Hawthorn is probably the most attacking team ever....." His orgasmic calling of Franklin every time the ball is in attack makes me want to vomit.

In my view I thought his exuberance was exactly right for the game and it was certainly shown for both teams. He has a genuine affection for the Swans and his quote when the siren went was brilliant.

Anyway, from Round 1 next year he'll probably go back to annoying me.

Triple B
3rd October 2012, 07:28 PM
He controlled himself during the Rioli v Jetta chase. Didn't mention the 'd' word.

He'd have made an awful mess of the commentary box if Cyril somehow caught him....

i'm-uninformed2
3rd October 2012, 08:01 PM
His mark in the first qrtr and allround game were remarkable, but Hanners entire last qrtr is out of this world on replay.

From his entire five minutes of pure desperation post the Hale goal where he is in at it at every contest, his composure to slot one and start the fight back, his steal off Lewis with a couple of minutes to go to get the ball moving our way to THE handball to Mal . . .

We are one lucky club to have that kid in our ranks

tantrum
3rd October 2012, 08:18 PM
I've watched the whole game twice, the 2nd and 4th quarters thrice and the last 3-4 minutes maybe 6-7 times. I really liked Mattner's effort near the boundary line at the end.

Last night I watched the sequence leading to Malceski's last goal. Who was it that got their hand in on Burgoyne (I think it was), which made him spill the ball? Then it went to Hannebery, who handballed to Malckeski. I tried rewinding it but I can't quite see. My guess is Kennedy, but I found it hard to tell.

On the telecast, I found McAvaney's commentary annoying. And the crosses to the zombies watching up in Sydney were infinitely annoying. They even missed the celebrations after the final goal for several seconds to show that. Grrrr... I'm looking forward to getting a DVD with the radio calls too for some variety, but those crosses to the outdoor screen will still be present I guess.

Maybe I've watched the 2005 GF too often, but I miss Quartermain.

I watched the game online live (I live in Europe.) It was pretty good quality, but they stopped the broadcast before the players ran the lap, which was disappointing.

ShockOfHair
3rd October 2012, 09:03 PM
He'd have made an awful mess of the commentary box if Cyril somehow caught him....

Trying to expel that image.... :disturbed:

baskin
3rd October 2012, 09:04 PM
A little off topic, but I have just started watching the Ch.7 Pre-game show which I recorded. It's fun watching Mick Malthouse & Leigh Matthews make fools of themselves. Only 5mins in and so far they have said "the width of the MCG is no good for Sydney's game style, it is only suited to the narrow grounds" and "the Franklin / Rioli pair is more likely to be very good more often than Goodes/Jetta, especially today". I feel like I'm watching a comedy special!!

goswannie14
3rd October 2012, 09:59 PM
I've watched the whole game twice, the 2nd and 4th quarters thrice and the last 3-4 minutes maybe 6-7 times. I really liked Mattner's effort near the boundary line at the end.

Last night I watched the sequence leading to Malceski's last goal. Who was it that got their hand in on Burgoyne (I think it was), which made him spill the ball? Then it went to Hannebery, who handballed to Malckeski. I tried rewinding it but I can't quite see. My guess is Kennedy, but I found it hard to tell.

On the telecast, I found McAvaney's commentary annoying. And the crosses to the zombies watching up in Sydney were infinitely annoying. They even missed the celebrations after the final goal for several seconds to show that. Grrrr... I'm looking forward to getting a DVD with the radio calls too for some variety, but those crosses to the outdoor screen will still be present I guess.

I watched the game online live (I live in Europe.) It was pretty good quality, but they stopped the broadcast before the players ran the lap, which was disappointing.Hey!!!! I was watching the game at Darling Harbour. The atmosphere was great where we were, but then I did apologise to the guy next to me for making him deaf. There were certainly no zombies where we were.

mcs
3rd October 2012, 10:26 PM
His mark in the first qrtr and allround game were remarkable, but Hanners entire last qrtr is out of this world on replay.

From his entire five minutes of pure desperation post the Hale goal where he is in at it at every contest, his composure to slot one and start the fight back, his steal off Lewis with a couple of minutes to go to get the ball moving our way to THE handball to Mal . . .

We are one lucky club to have that kid in our ranks

I actually feel Hannebery was pretty stiff not to win the Norm Smith (and that is no slight on ROK, who had a whale of a game and a whale of a Grand Final). His last quarter, for someone so young, was amazing. Its hard to believe he is still only 21. Have we got a special player there or what. If he stays fit, will hit the 100 games mark next season. A 300 gamer if the body holds up for sure, and he'll only get better with age. The 2012 grand final might just be the game that makes him the player we've all hoped he would become!

And Tantrum, I like your mention of the Mattner's effort. In the context of the game that was an absolutely huge moment. Had the Dawk got away, it easily could have went up the other end and we'd all be in very sour moods indeed. The desperation to get there and then lay such a wonderful tackle, and then get up and ensure the ball went out of play. If there was ever a 1% moment where you just had to win it, that was it.

Industrial Fan
3rd October 2012, 11:26 PM

I watched the game online live (I live in Europe.) It was pretty good quality, but they stopped the broadcast before the players ran the lap, which was disappointing.
Kennedy frees the ball for the winning goal.

tantrum
3rd October 2012, 11:34 PM
Hey!!!! I was watching the game at Darling Harbour. The atmosphere was great where we were, but then I did apologise to the guy next to me for making him deaf. There were certainly no zombies where we were.

My apologies!

I just think the atmosphere - and relevance - of what you could see there at Darling Harbour (from the perspective of the 7 camera) was seriously lacking compared to anything they could have shown from the MCG. At one point they had several seconds of the crowd watching an ad on the big screen.

But I'm happy to know there were some people getting in to it. :) They should have moved the camera at least!

ShockOfHair
3rd October 2012, 11:34 PM
Just watched the last quarter again. Give Bruce credit for one of the quotes of the day.

After Malceski's goal: "That's one way to ruin a five-year plan."

neilfws
4th October 2012, 09:23 AM

It's on YouTube just now. I won't link from here in case they take it down. Just search for "AFL 360 montage".

It is a great montage. The screams from SEN every time Hawks score! Their silence near the end :D

goswannie14
4th October 2012, 10:22 AM
My apologies!

I just think the atmosphere - and relevance - of what you could see there at Darling Harbour (from the perspective of the 7 camera) was seriously lacking compared to anything they could have shown from the MCG. At one point they had several seconds of the crowd watching an ad on the big screen.

But I'm happy to know there were some people getting in to it. :) They should have moved the camera at least!At the end, we were singing the song and I had my 3 yo son on my shoulder (singing too) I looked away from the screen and there was a camera in our faces.....don't know if it was 7 or the local Darling Harbour Authority though. There were actually 3 screens down there so I don't know which one they were showing crowds from. The pain was that we would see a goal and then 7 would go straight to an ad. Really killed the atmosphere at every Swans goal.

Jewels
4th October 2012, 11:20 AM
At the end, we were singing the song and I had my 3 yo son on my shoulder (singing too) I looked away from the screen and there was a camera in our faces.....don't know if it was 7 or the local Darling Harbour Authority though. There were actually 3 screens down there so I don't know which one they were showing crowds from. The pain was that we would see a goal and then 7 would go straight to an ad. Really killed the atmosphere at every Swans goal.

Were there many people there? When I read they were going to do it I thought it was a great idea but wondered if it would be very well patronized.

goswannie14
4th October 2012, 11:30 AM
There were three screens. We were at the one facing the Darling Harbour shops and restaurants so there was probably in excess of 500 at this screen. That grew in the last part of the game as people who were vaguely interested stopped as the game got close. The restaurants had people who claimed a table before the game and stayed for the whole game. It was almost completely red and white in the crowd. It wasn't as good as being at the game, but it was a pretty good alternative.

The other two screens were placed , one at right angles to where we were, and the other up near the grassed area about 300 metres away. They also had some AFL activitoes up there for the kids.

Jewels
4th October 2012, 11:38 AM
There were three screens. We were at the one facing the Darling Harbour shops and restaurants so there was probably in excess of 500 at this screen. That grew in the last part of the game as people who were vaguely interested stopped as the game got close. The restaurants had people who claimed a table before the game and stayed for the whole game. It was almost completely red and white in the crowd. It wasn't as good as being at the game, but it was a pretty good alternative.

The other two screens were placed , one at right angles to where we were, and the other up near the grassed area about 300 metres away. They also had some AFL activitoes up there for the kids.

Excellent, I hoped it would be a success.

boroboy
4th October 2012, 09:17 PM
The one shot that gets me every time is where you see Goodsey sink to his knees, and further upfield you can see AJ doing the same, throwing his head and arms back... It captures everything for me in one perfect moment in time.